Speaker 1: From the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Tuesday, June twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Coming up today, Vladimir Putin calls the Wagner leaders traders as prosecutors reportedly drop charges against the mercenaries.
Speaker 1: President Biden says Russia can't blame the West for the failed mutiny.
Speaker 2: CNN says it has the tape of former President Trump discussing secret documents, and.
Speaker 1: Jennet Yellen is the latest US official to head to China.
Speaker 3: The Supreme Court is expected to announce major decisions today. Plus New York City could start congestion pricing as soon as April. I'm Michael Barr. More ahead, I'm.
Speaker 4: John Stansharon Sport's another laws for the straggled Matts lost at home to Milwaukee, and the Yankees tonight visit Oakland.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the Business news you need to starn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business app, and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan.
Speaker 1: Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: First we begin with the latest on the rebellion in Russia. The criminal case has been closed against the Wagner group mercenaries who staged a failed mutiny against President Vladimir Putin. According to Russian media, authorities have dropped charges against Wagner leader You of Guinea Progosian, and others involved in the armed rebellion. This comes after Putin appeared on state television calling Wagner leaders traders who sought to divide the country. Here he is speaking through an interpreter.
Speaker 6: Deraghi Ruzia.
Speaker 7: Dear friends. Today I address once again all Russian citizens. I thank you for your endurance, solidarity and patriotism. Civil solidarities showed that any ransom, any attempts to organize internal unrest are doomed to fail.
Speaker 2: With President Putin did not mention Progosian by name, but he did say Wagner troops could either join the Russian Army or leave for Belarus. Russian media are reporting Wagner's preparing to hand over heavy weaponry to Russian army units. President Biden, meantime, says he's in touch with allies and advisors. Following the weekends, events.
Speaker 8: They agreed with me that we had to make sure we gave Putin no excuse.
Speaker 2: We gave Putin no excuse.
Speaker 8: To blame this on the West, to blame.
Speaker 5: This on NATO.
Speaker 2: President Biden says it's still too soon to draw conclusions on the impact of the revolt.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan analysts say Putin has been severely damaged by the uprising. We got up with a Bloomberg opinion columnist Andreas Klouth.
Speaker 9: He looked weak for a number of reasons. Number one, he promised to bring them immediately and swiftly to a harsh justice, and of course the opposite happened. Progosion gets to go to Belarus. And he compared the mutiny to nineteen seventeen. That's not smart because that was when the mutined against Uzar, who was subsequently executed in a war that was subsequently lost, just before Civil war. So that's the wrong message.
Speaker 1: And Bloomberger opinion columnist Andreas Kluth says Putin now appears to be damaged.
Speaker 2: Goods, Well, another major story we're following and brings us back to the US and the legal troubles facing Donald Trump. A leaked audio recording reportedly reveals the former president discussing classified material in his possession. Amy Morris has more from our Bloomberg ninety nine one newsroom in Washington.
Speaker 10: The audio recording, first obtained by CNN, comes from an interview Trump gave in twenty twenty one for people who were working on the memoir of Trump's former chief of Staff Mark Meadows. Bloomberg has not been able to independently verify the authenticity of the recording, where the former president has heard criticizing the Joint chiefs of Staff Chairman General Mark Milly. Referencing a document, Trump claims the Defense Department put together.
Speaker 8: This totally wins my case, you know, except it is highly this is secreted for it. Look look at this President. I could have died less than now I can't, you know.
Speaker 10: But this is Trump posted on his truth social platform that the tape was illegally leaked and claims it exonerates him. In Washington. I'm Amy Morris, Bloomberg daybreak.
Speaker 1: All right, Amy, thank you another news this morning. China's premiere is warning of what he calls deglobalization trends in the West. Lee Chi Yang, speaking through an interpreter, says economic issue should not be brought into the political sphere.
Speaker 11: Governments and relevant organizations should not overreach themselves. Still less, overstretch the concept of risk or turn it into an ideological tool.
Speaker 1: Lee Chi Yang made the comments of the World Economic Forum and the Chinese city of Tianjin.
Speaker 2: Meantime, US China relations remain in focus. Karen, we have word that another high level White House official is headed to China. Let's get the details from Bloomberg's John Tucker John.
Speaker 12: And Nathan Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen heads off to Beijing in early July. This is a continuation of the efforts to re engage with the world's second largest economy. Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln just wrapped up his trip to China. The timing a little awkward of Biden administration. Executive voter that would regulate and potentially cut off certain US investments in China is near in completion. Officials hope to have that ready after Yellen's trip. All sources say Yellen will meet with her new Chinese counterpart. She has said that the US will pursue policies to defend and the security and are not intended to hold China back.
Speaker 3: You Know York.
Speaker 12: I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Day Break, Right, John, thank you well. Turning to the markets now, we should expect more rate hikes from the Fed. That's the word for Morgan Stanley. Economists of the firm predict a quarter point increase of the July meeting. The forecast comes after Chair J. Powell of the Central Bank is not done with its aggressive hiking cycle just yet.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: Raiser and focus in Europe as well, Karen As top central bankers and policymakers gather in Portugal for the annual European Central Bank Forum. ECB President Christine Leaguard struck a hawkish tone in her opening speech this morning.
Speaker 5: It is unlikely that in the near future the Central Bank will be able to state with full confidence that the peak rates have indeed been reached.
Speaker 2: Christine Leguard says the ECB will probably raise rates again in July.
Speaker 1: We'll back here in the US, Nathan, there is word of more job cuts coming to Corporate America. Bloomberg News has learned Ford Motor plans to fire hundreds of salaried workers this week. We're told the cuts will primarily hit engineers at the automaker sources. Safe Ford is trying to boost profit and lower costs around its fifty billion dollars shift to electric vehicles.
Speaker 2: Time now to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's Michael var Good morning, Michael.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Nathan. New York City is cleared for first in the nation congestion tolls as soon as April. The plan to charge motors driving into Midtown Manhattan receive final federal approval. The Federal Highway Administration determined that an environmental review of congestion pricing had no significant impacts. In a statement, New York Governor Kathy Hokals has congestion pricing will reduce traffic in our crowded downtown, improve air quality, and provide critical resources to the MTA. Easy Pass Motorists driving south of sixtieth Street may pay as much as twenty three dollars to enter the area. Some major decisions will be announced starting this morning before the Supreme Court takes its summer recess. The most high profile decision is on affirmative action. The Supreme Court will also rule on whether businesses can refuse to serve LGBTQ customers. Eastern Wisconsin is currently under an air quality advisory due to smoke from the hundreds of wildfires in Canada. Doctor Jeff Poth is with UW Health.
Speaker 6: The way that this air quality affects us is that these very fine particles, that these smoke particles, get into our lungs and our immune systems recognize them as foreign and then they start to attack them, and that creates inflammation and for a patient that may show up as wheezing, that may show up with a little bit of shortness of bread.
Speaker 3: New York City went through a similar incident earlier this month because of smoke from the wildfires. Four cases of malaria have been reported in Florida and one in Texas in the last two months. It is the first local spread of the disease in the US in twenty years. According to the CDC, malaria is caused by a parasite that spreads through mosquito bites. Doctor Seline Gounder is Editor at Large for Public Health at Kaiser Family Foundation.
Speaker 13: Doctors in the southeastern United States, where the weather is increasingly more hospitable to mosquitoes, should be aware that their patients could have malaria. The risk is higher where the local climate allows the mosquito that transmits malaria to survive most of the year.
Speaker 3: Doctor Gownder spoke to CBS. Former federal politician Olivia Chow will be Toronto's first Asian Canadian mayor after earning a narrow victory in yesterday's municipal election. Chow had the most votes with thirty seven percent. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts and over one hundred and twenty countries. I'm Michael Barr. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Nathan, right, Michael, thank you. Time for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Staninshower.
Speaker 4: Next eight and the Mets nearly won the NL's last season, lost that in a tiebreaker. Came out this year with a three hundred and fifty million dollars payroll in hopes of overtaking Atlanta. But here in late June, the Mets trailed the Braves by sixteen games. Another Met loss. That's one at City Field, beaten by Milwaukee two to one, as the Mets managed only three singles, wasted five scoreless sittings by Justin Verlander. The Brewers one on a two run homer in the sixth by Joey Weimer. It came off Drew Smith, just returned from his ten game suspension. Mean while Atlanta won again. The Braves have won eighteen of their last twenty one. Another show Hey O tany home run and an Angels win. That's his twenty sixth homer. Yankees are in Oakland tonight. The A's are twenty and sixty. They recently had a seven game winning streak, but since then they're one in ten in Omaha. The end of the College World Series.
Speaker 6: Build two pitch.
Speaker 2: And all us right in the World Tigers went, Tigers win. The National Championship.
Speaker 5: Has headed back to Baton Rose.
Speaker 6: The Duff Pop begins Left.
Speaker 1: Of the Mast.
Speaker 4: That's LSU Radio. A bizarre final series as Florida won Game two twenty four to four, and then twenty four hours later LSU won the decisive Game three, eighteen to four. Awards Night in the NHL, the Heart Trophy for MVP won for the third time by Edmonton's Connor McDavid. He had a one hundred and fifty three point season, most points since Mario Lemieux nineteen ninety six. The Ragers, Adam Fox Fin a second for the Norris as the top defenseman the Islanders, Ilias Serrokan runner up for the Vezna as top goalie. Hard Knocks, the HBO reality show that follows an NFL team in training camp, will reportedly this season document the Jets. They were also featured in twenty ten. Jets coach Rob Salad said he'd rather not have the distraction.
Speaker 2: John Dash Edward Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 5: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias Exam, Bloomberg Business Appened Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager, and it is another morning of fast moving developments. Following the weekend mutiny attempt in Russia, prosecutors have closed their criminal case now against the Wagner Group and its leader, Yevgeny Pregosian. That's after President Vladimir Putin appeared on state television last night promised to respect a deal that would end the biggest threat to his nearly quarter century in power. For more on what's been happening since the weekend revolt, were joined by Bloomberg opinion columnist Andreas Kluth, who has written a recent piece on Putin's biggest mistakes in the Wagner Uprising. Andreas, it's good to speak with you this morning. It was just a couple of days ago. Of course, the President Putin was promising inevitable punishment for the Wagner mercenaries following that march toward Moscow. Now that charges have reportedly been dropped, is this resolution to the crisis.
Speaker 9: No, there's absolutely no resolution to anything in this crisis, and it'll go on for a long time. We just don't know how. But you know, that was one stunning, one of the stunning of U turns on Saturday. That happened almost like by the minute, by the half hour on that day, and slightly at a slower pace since I think it was one of the mistakes Putin made.
Speaker 11: He can't.
Speaker 9: He gave an address, he had to say something and tried to channel his own old strong man personality and says, these people will be held to account, their punishment will be inevitable and harsh and all of these things. And of course he's been on record many times before that's saying that. The one thing he will never forgive is betrayal. And he never named Progojin, but he said these people are betraying us. And then like a half hour later or something, it was revealed that Alexander Lukashenko, the little I call him the baby dictator. You know that the mini me next door or in Belarus made a deal or at least made the call, and that Pregosion will go to Belarus scot free. And that is of course a cognitive dissonance. That that is just one way that I think he he Putin signaled that he's no longer in control, he is no longer strong. If you promise, promise punishment but then don't deliver it, he could still deliver it. I'm not sure whether to trust is. By the way, you know a lot of people are saying Pregosion should be checking his underwork for Novochuk. I don't know if you get the joke, but you know, they could still be coming after him. But Progosion may have other plans as well. So but in general, I think that was one way in which other potential enemies of Putin will now say, hmm, maybe I'll hatch my plans.
Speaker 2: Well, what could those plans be if Progosion at this point is in Belarus right now, there are reports that Progosian's plane has landed there or whether he was actually on it. But what could Progosian do at this point?
Speaker 9: I just then I wasn't speaking about Progosian specifically, but I don't know. Here's another thing that's unclear. How many, if any, but I think how many of his mercenaries will go to Belarus with him? And then what role will they play? Will they still be if they don't, really like Putin recognize Belarus or Ukraine as a state, they think it's all part of greater Russia. Will they stay each other attacks into Ukraine from there? Will they point their weapons at Belarus or back at Russia or will they just do nothing? I think that is you can rule that out. So all of that is unclear. But remember that Putin will have other enemies who just haven't come out of the woodwork so far, because they're looking for signs of weakness.
Speaker 2: I guess there's the question as well about whether the Wagner troops, if they're folded into the Russian army, could contribute even further to instability. Is that something that's on your radar as well well.
Speaker 9: So the issue of instability in the Russian army is huge. I mean, so remember the Ukrainian counter attack is sort of underway one quarter. I would say they've been holding back the best trained troops with the most modern Leopard two tanks and all of that for a big push. And of course they're hoping, I mean, if this coup had or if this were calling it a mutiny, if this mutiny had continued, then it could be as in, you know, even Putin made this, you know, analogy to tooth nineteen seventeen in World War One, when Russian soldier's mutiny. They could have lost morale a little bit like last autumn, last fall, you know, and and there could have been disordered in the ranks. That would have been great for the Ukrainians. Now they're trying to incorporate all the private paramount military forces, but especially the Wagner group. That's what it's aimed for. And as you say, let's see what who knows what these Wagner mercenaries, including former convicts, what they'll do if they if they play nicely in the if they take orders from serve from Shoigu, the defense minister who was the number one enemy of pregoson their former boss. Will they still take orders from Pregosion?
Speaker 10: We don't know.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 1: I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak