Speaker 1: Cool Media. Hey, what up?
Speaker 2: Though, this is our first ever rerun. We've never done a rerun, you know what I'm saying, So this is the first one. It's been about two years now with joining Cool Zone and iHeart and you know, the hoole politics. Man, some of y'all may know. It was a segment of the Red Couch podcast, which people still talk to me about. You know what I used to do with the Queen referred to her by her prefix doctor Alma. And it was fun, man. I mean, it just started in seventeen, twenty seventeen. We was trying to figure out some way to like just process what the hell was going on on earth.
Speaker 1: And a segment of it in the beginning.
Speaker 2: Was, you know, a politics because politics was going crazy and Mary just kind of giggled about it. It was just kind of how we talked among ourselves, you know, And then it kind of took on its own life and then became what eventually joined to the iHeart Network with Really the origins was me just kind of doing it on my own because I just got kind of got tired of podcasting.
Speaker 1: And then Robert DMed.
Speaker 2: Me when we were talking about the Black Panthers anyway, the show, you know, it started off as something like I said, that was like thirty minutes or not even thirty minutes, like ten minutes, you know, lighthearted, and then as the show evolved and we just started seeing like, oh man, we're like I really got to take this serious.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So as it started, it was like much more like street kind of gang examples and stuff like that. But you know what, like one you start getting pressed by actual gangsters and they're like, nigga, you don't know this shit, you know, and then it's like, well, that's not really what I'm trying to say. What I'm trying to say is if you've just grown up in any of these environments where you've had to like access the knowledge that you came from, that you grew up with and apply it to a new sort of arena or a skill set. I just wanted to encourage people to know that, like, you can do that, you know what I mean. My hope is to onboard more people of color who come from modest mean to you know, kind of come from the margins, you know what I'm saying, and don't really feel like they're welcome into the process. I just want you to know damn that, yes you are, and you're smarter than you think you are. You know. So as it's grown, you know what I'm saying, Matt ended up making songs every month or every week. He got good at, you know, dropping a track a week, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And guess what, like, yo, I started rapping in some of those tracks.
Speaker 2: We're you know, coming soon, we're gonna start dropping these songs of me just rapping to these beats, you know. And the show is like grown to a place that I've really never thought it would, you know, where I've had to stretch my knowledge base. It wasn't just like, oh yeah, I know this, it's this. It's like no, like I've even had to learn and do some translation for myself to make sure that I can explain it to somebody else, you know what I mean. And it's super dope, you know, seeing people at like rap shows or coming to the club real ones parties on Sundays and or ordering the coffee and being like, yo, I found out about you via behind the Bastards or hood politics, you know what I'm saying. And they're like, man, like I really, you're the only way I understand the news. So I'm honored by that, and it's quite a weight, you know what I mean. So coming into this new season, I wanted to revisit one of my favorite ones. It was about philipbustering. You know, they bust, we bust philibuster with holes, you know, because you get these terms like jerry mandering, philibuster, Like it's like, what is mean?
Speaker 1: You know? And the truth is you do know what it means.
Speaker 2: And I feel like this is the best example of trying to explain to you, explain to us, like, hey man, you're more equipped than you think you are. You know, you understand city living, you understand politics. So peep three run phil a buster will hole. Also, because we take at least one week off.
Speaker 3: Fust they they fuster o.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, listen, just keep talking. We just look.
Speaker 2: Look if they if they're talking, if they talking to you, they're not talking to each other.
Speaker 1: Hood politics, your soul good right here? Hood politics, y'all? So hood.
Speaker 2: Here was the game my sister and I used to play when we knew one of us was finna get a whooping.
Speaker 1: Look here, just keep mama talking. I used to look, this is what I used to do.
Speaker 2: I used to when I knew one of us was in trouble, and it wasn't no way in the world that there would not be any shrapnel. Now look, in case you don't know, I'm black. And here's the thing. When one kid in trouble, everybody in trouble. So to protect your own body, You understand what I'm saying. Sometimes you gotta work together. And nia his was crazy. Even if it's one of them's fault. They may mess around and be like mad at you for snitching. They like, don't be snitching on your sister. Now turn to your sister now she in trouble. But anyway, the point is just keep talking. So I would start cleaning the house. I would clean up. I would be showing that Mama, look at look how good this look. How good I clean this house? Because I just don't want her to talk to dad, because if she talked to Dad, then that means we're gonna have some consequences and repercussions. It's gonna be a situation. Just keep talking, show them all the good things you've been doing. Now, don't have to be about nothing. Just keep talking. I applied this sometimes to dealing with some hood niggas is with the shits. Keep them laughing. If you can keep them laughing, you know what I'm saying, not cann distract you from the situation that might go down had they had a chance to communicate. Sometimes niggas, you're somebody. I'm sorry, mam, I'm tired of this talking.
Speaker 1: Man. Quit talking. And when you gotta throw them, you gotta throw them. It is what it is. Sometimes you just gotta chuck them.
Speaker 2: But if you keep them talking, you understand what I'm saying, and you can stop the stuff from happening. But you have to remember every weapon you got they got. There was a moment in Los Angeles when when the call came from from apparently from prison to stop the drive bys because it just they just not g you know, according to them. But like that's one reason, but the other reason was you have to remember cars go both directions. You ride on somebody hood, they gonna ride back. Now, a true hood still knows that, like this is what I signed up for. They understand, as the saying goes, they bus, we bus. So whatever weapon you got, they probably got too. So whether it's talking or shooting, careful they bus we buss Philip Buster with hoes. Let's talk about Philipbuster's hood politics.
Speaker 3: They ll Buster talk. They blustering film Buster.
Speaker 2: So look, you got Texas Democrats peacing out, like, I'm just not even gonna stay in the state.
Speaker 1: Y'all can't.
Speaker 2: Y'all can't cast this final vote if we're not there. So they didn't went all the way to Washington, at least at the point that I'm recording this, you know, because if they stayed in state, Texas could have sent state troopers, could have sent Walker Texas Ranger to come get them niggas.
Speaker 1: That's they lost.
Speaker 2: You also got on the hill Republicans filibustering. You need to know what the hell of philibuster is and why everybody doing everything they do. Then you got the Progressive Democrats being like, why you ain't breaking the filibuster? Joe say something, come on, man, put off for the hood. You're gonna come on dog like we're all telling you, yo, you need to stop this doing this, and Joe just going, yeah, Republicans, y'all gotta stop.
Speaker 1: But he he ain't about that action, like the action would be bruh.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got the power to end this mug. The question is, nigga, what the hell of philibuster? And what is everybody in a tip for? So what's the big deal? Why are we even talking about a philibuster getting in the first place. Well, how today's gonna go is, I'm gonna tell you, like what the issue is, what a filibuster is, history of philibuster and maybe try to use our antennas to understand why this mug exists and why Joe ain't doing nothing about it, because it looks right now he's just getting punked by the Republicans, Like, I don't know why you're just letting these people do what the hell you want to do. But actually I have a theory as to why, but I don't know. Anyway, we're talking about voting. We're talking about voter suppression, voter fraud, and voter rights.
Speaker 1: It's all around voting. Okay, you got the John C.
Speaker 2: Lewis Voter Rights Act H one or H four, right, that has to do it. The protection around different hindrances that seem to have been promoted. Let's be real, they were promoted by it by really the Trump bites, mainly because of this big old Lae that there was widespread voter fraud throughout last election, and the extremes would say that, you know, Trump won and there's five thousand people that were dead that already voted. None of this stuff is real. You should throw at those votes. This really didn't count, and you could go back. I feel like the biggest, the biggest defense against this is you go back to Lindsey Graham, who owned the block. Lindsey Graham was like, all right, word, okay, I'm gonna go ride for y'all.
Speaker 1: Give me the receipts.
Speaker 2: Show me you say five thousand, show me them, show me, give me, give me ten, give me ten examples. And he was like, y'all still ain't got me no examples. And it's like, nigga, I'm on your side. I'm trying to go. I'm trying to go earn for the block. Man, I'm trying to go put on for you. I'm not the enemy, fam, I ain't the I'm trying to put all for you. You can't give me no receipts. I want to go fight for you, Like, damn, you give me some seats. Cut you know what I'm saying, mister Graham, stand right. So that to me is like tells you a little more about you know, what's going on. And then what kept happening out of some of the conservative voices is they kept saying, we gotta change this vote and stuff because if we don't, we gonna keep losing, which kind of sound like if we just what you're kind of saying is if enough people get access to vote, they not gonna vote for us. So we gotta make sure y'all don't get access to vote. Right, So you have all these things that was happening under the banner of protecting the integrity of the quality of our voting. So like re looking at the Arizona thing, and I don't know if y'all y'all were up on that. Like the Arizona election has been recounted multiple times, and it's still like nigga, like we find in clerical errors, but dog like they ain't know this. Look, we're just not seeing this conspiracy. You know that you're trying to tell me. So now, out in Texas, this is how these two things are connected. Out in Texas, they trying to say, Okay, listen, this is what we need to do. We need to make sure you don't get a day off work to go vote. It has to be in person, it's got to be normal business hours. And if you don't make it there, you're not allowed to give people water, You're not allowed to get people. Just under this idea that like by doing all these extra things making it, making voting more accessible, having voter IDs and to be like we don't know if you is that a dad solid security number, Like we don't know who this person is. What if you vote twice, if you mail in and come to the thing, like, it's not fair, you know what I'm saying. We need to make sure that like this voter is as fair as possible. And look, were trying to help y'all. Now listen, voter fraud happens. Don't get it twisted.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 2: It's just not really at the scale that they're saying, like we just don't have no evidence of that, and it was just admitting like Homie from Michigan that came forward and said there was a whole bunch of mail ballots that was he came forward and was like, nah, I was cappin, Like it's just not what they said it was. So they're like, we're trying to pass this. The problem is a lot of these things. Number one, they harkened back to a time which were called the Black Codes, which was purposefully trying to stop black people from voting because when we came out to vote, Nigga, we put our people in office. Do you know unerstand I'm saying, because voting, believe it or not, newsflash works Nigga. Y know, I'm saying, Uh, but there's that, So it harkens back to those times. And then secondly, it often penalizes lower income people. So it's not necessarily just black folks, but it's just lower income people, people that don't have access right. You know what I'm saying, It's important to acknowledge the distinction between a rite and a privilege is by virtue of your citizenship, you have.
Speaker 1: The right to vote.
Speaker 2: I don't have to show you nothing except for the fact that I'm a citizen. So when you say, well, just having an ID is like, I mean, that's just like it's maybe it's an inconvenience, but who ain't got ID?
Speaker 1: There's plain people ain't got ID.
Speaker 2: You just can't deny my constitutional right because I ain't got no ID.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 2: And now, practically speaking, there's a lot of different ways to verify a person's identity, you know, but when you add that to these other things like polls close it five, you can't mail in. So it's like, well, if I can't if I can't miss a day of work, you're telling me I can't miss it. You're telling me, you're telling me we don't get the day off. I gotta miss a day of work. And if I can't miss a day of work, I can't send it in early. You don't want me to mail it in. It's almost like you don't want me to vote, you know what I'm saying. There's a great pod on the through Line podcast about Frederick Douglass and why he believed voting was so important, and it's like he's really even back then, capturing like captured the understanding of like there is real power in this, especially because if you understand what was happening right after, right during reconstruction, how hard they went to make sure that black people did not vote was oh, nigga, you just showed your cards.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Then they had this thing called this Grandfather clause, which was hilarious, which was like Hey, if your granddaddy voted in eighteen sixty, then you can vote, well, nigga. Obviously nobody black granddaddy voted in eighteen sixty. So like it's just we know what you're doing. You're putting all these undue burdens on people that don't have the privileges that everybody else do. So what they're trying to say is like voting shouldn't be harder. And so the Democrats chose, like we've been trying to argue this that like y'all bugging, but if you're not feel like listen, then we just gonna bounce. Now this has been done before. It was just the other way around. They bus we bus. The Republicans have walked out of Texas legislature before they bus we bus. Now they're using the same tactic. Now move that back to the hill on Capitol Hill. It's still the same idea of voting right, of passing laws that would make sure that there's equal protection under the law for people despite their socioeconomic, racial, ethnic access. Voting should be more accessible. You're not allowed to put hindrances in in front of constitutional rights. You know what I'm saying. You can put them in front of privileges like a driver's license. Just because you're a citizen don't mean you get to drive, Nigga, like, you know what I'm saying. Like, but just because you're a citizen, you get to vote. You're twenty one, you get to vote. It is what it is like, it just comes with its packaged deal. Right, So they're trying to pass some laws that have more protection about that. Now, the specificity is the law is not the point of this this pod. But what the Republican legislator is doing is a thing called fill of bustering.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a tool you use.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get into the specifics of this later, but I want to set the stage here. When somebody presents a bill, we post a debate on it. Right, So you you do this point, this point, this point, and the law says we can't stop. We can't stop to vote on it until everybody gets they piece off, until you able to fly in land your plane. You know what I'm saying, Everyone gets to land they plane before we vote. Right.
Speaker 1: You have to let this nigga finish.
Speaker 2: That's why I said in the beginning, sometimes your best defense is to keep talking, nigga. If you could keep talking, you know what I'm saying. If you could keep if you could keep these niggas occupied, oh some other shit, maybe you could you could stop a decision from being made, you know what I'm saying. So if right now, if you're not the Senate majority, you're the Senate minority, one of your ways because you know, because how the numbers work, that y'all ain't gonna ever get your way. So one line of defense is to just keep talking. Is to make sure that y'all never do get to vote on it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get into the history of like how this has been used in the second but that's one thing that's happening right now, is this is Republicans are proverbially speaking, still talking. Now. The Democrats are looking at President Biden, who's supposed to be like the top of the top of the hood, and they like, hey, hey, homie, can you tell them niggas to shut the fuck up so we can finish this.
Speaker 1: Damn nigga.
Speaker 2: You know the rules, we could we could end this shit with a culture We could I mean, we could do a fifty one person vote. You could change the rules, right, now it take sixty people, we could change it to fifty one.
Speaker 1: Nigga, you got the power to do it. Like, why you're not putting on damn man? Like you can end this shit right now.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, the whole party asking you, Like, what the hell man like in the filibuster?
Speaker 3: But he not.
Speaker 2: But let's step back though the hell is a filibuster. A filibuster is talking a bill to death?
Speaker 1: What do I mean by that?
Speaker 2: It's a tactic of delaying action on a legislation because you can't pass a law until everyone gets to land they plane. Now, I'm a quote from the Senate dot gov. What they say, straight from the website. The tactic of using long speeches to delay an action on legislation appeared in the very first session of Senate on September twenty second, seventeen eighty nine. Pennsylvania Senator William McLay wrote in his diary that the design of the Virginians was to take away the time so that we could not get the bill passed. As a number of philibusters grew in the nineteenth century, the Senate had no formal process to allow a majority to end the debate and force a legislation. Why you think Virginia and he won't a law passed. The hint is racism, nigga slavery. Right, So basically it's me at the house going but look look, look, look look mom, but wait wait wait wait wait no wait wait listen before you talk. But wait wait, but listen. Look look, look, look, look, look look look wait. No, you know, and let me tell you about my homework. Oh, matter of fact, you know what. Let me tell you something. Let me tell you why I learned the church today. You just I'm coming up with a million things just to keep saying, because I don't want her to go.
Speaker 1: Just keep talking to avoid the whooping.
Speaker 2: The filibuster is whether it's praise for better or for worse, We're going to go through like pros and cons about it. But what it's saying is I'm going to stop the vote on this. Even if I can't give you a real reason as to why this is a bad vote or why this is a bad idea. Maybe it's just as simple as my constituents don't want it, the hood don't like it. But I really don't have no other real reasons for it. But I'm just it's just bad. I like, and if you're a political minority in the deadlock that we're in now, Like if you think about the way that our Congress has looked, where it's like whoever's got the majority in Congress, if there's more Republicans than Republican laws past, they're more Democrats. Everybody votes along party lines. They're not gonna nobody. Everybody's holding the lines. So like, you can't get nothing passed anyway. So and if you know it's like you can't just be up there and do nothing, they get like, I can't do nothing, So what do you do?
Speaker 1: Well, you just talk.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The name philibuster, which is the craziest. I love it because it sounds like philibuster. It's derived from a Dutch word called freebooter and the Spanish word philibustetos to describe the pirates raiding then the Caribbean islands, and the term began to appear in the American legislative debates in the eighteen fifties, and it was supposed to be like a throwback to like yo, you just like a you just gonna take over, You just gonna pirate, you just gonna pirate. This mug just take over the whole claim it as yours by just not talking you philibuster. Now, because of these filibusters, there's a thing called cloture that we talked about before. It's a method of ending the debate and bringing it to the vote. So, if you are the majority in Congress and you like nigga, if this nigga, don't shut the fuck up, Okay, I'm calling for cloture right which is a way of ending the debate saying, nigga, we vote now, I'll care, I'll care what it is. And only the majority can do that, and that's what the Democrats are asking Biden to do now. The way to pull that off right now is you need sixty votes. The problem is we probably not gonna get sixty votes, but he has the right to change it to fifty one because sixty votes means you asking nine Republicans to flip on their hood. So the move is to change that to fifty one votes. Now we got fifty one, because that's just Democrats, I'm sure we can get fifty one of us to be like, shut the fuck up, except for minutchin, which is a whole other thing. Minuta don't care that nigga in West Virginia. You think you think.
Speaker 1: You're gonna make them white boys.
Speaker 2: Man, it's harder to get sixty everybody, Like, come on, nigga, you got to buy and you got the gun in your hand. Nigga, pull pull a damn trigger cut, Like why you're not shooting? You can't just point the gun and talk? Then this is what he does. And this is what's crazy is in the speeches. The speeches he's been giving about this is like it's real slick cause he's talking big. He's talking like, nah, nigga, watch out a nigga, I'm fum fin a ride on. Y'all off in the bus man, Why don't don't mess with me? And I'm gonna change it?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: What's wrong with y'all while y'all doing this? You notice ain't no good the hood like democrats, Like, well, nigga, shoot, what's all this talking for?
Speaker 1: Either you're gonna do it or you not? Like nigga, we telling you what to do? You asking it?
Speaker 2: Like that's what you can't just go out there and just drag them, And it almost make it so you start thinking, nigga, are you the op or not? Like why you not you scared of him? Nigga, Are you scared of him? Is that why you're not pulling this trigger?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm gonna continue on.
Speaker 2: The earliest filibuster also led to the first demands for culture a method of ending the debate in eighteen forty one, and the Democratic Minority attempted to run the clock on the bill to establish a national bank. Philibusters became more frequent in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, leading to the serious debate about changing Senate rules to curtail this practice. At that point, the Senate has grown larger and busier, and the sheer amount of work to be done in each session meant that philibustering senator could disrupt the process of a body and gain concessions from senators who just wanted to get their bills passed. So what he's trying to say is this, like you got an agenda of Like, nigga, we got to run through seventy two laws, and we at law number three and you up there reading cat in the hat.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not making this up.
Speaker 2: Niggas would just get up there and read out their diaries because you can't you're not allowed to shut me up. Everybody gets to land they plane, so you just run the clock out, and at some point fools would be like, all right, nigga, if I vote no, will you shut the fuck up so we can move on? Like damn, because as a senator, you like, well, I got bills, I'm trying to get passed. We need to get to mine because I'm trying to shine too. So it's actually, I mean, what sucks about it is it works. Any of y'all ever ran the clock out on your mom's boy, if you don't stop talking, listen, Okay, if I let you go to this party, will you shut up and let me finish what I'm doing? Like got dog, you ran the clock out on your mama. I have a few times it works unless you're on the other side of the gun, because sometime your mama run the clock out on you.
Speaker 1: Hey, before you go, make sure you do this, you should do this.
Speaker 2: You do this, and then you get the lecture and she trying to tell you why you need to stop at your grandma house. And then after that, make sure you pick up these cigarettes for this, and then after that you know what I'm saying, And you just like, forget it.
Speaker 1: I ain't going no more.
Speaker 3: Taste blustering buster Buster.
Speaker 2: Now, one of the most major filibusters that has to do with me and you has to do with Jim Crow and Jim Crow South US trying to get equal rights under the law. Part of the hauled up was nigga a philibuster. So for US people of color, specifically black people, pipally hood folk, oftentimes throughout history this filibuster has been about our rights to vote, and it's like nigga. In twenty twenty one, you know, the record for the longest individual speech goes to South Carolina storm Men, who filibustered for twenty four hours in eighteen minutes against the Civil Rights Act of nineteen fifty seven. Now, the old school style is like you had to actually stand in Senate and talk.
Speaker 1: But you know, the Internet.
Speaker 2: And a pandemic meant that that's just it's just not feasible and it's not necessary. Now you don't have to actually stand up there and talk. You can just say, hey, I want to continue debate, Hey I got some ideas. Hey we can't vote yet, I still got thoughts. You don't have to actually stand there and give the speech, which I'm kind of like, man, that's kind of not g you know what I'm saying, Like I thought it was kind of g that like, if you really gonna do this, if you really gonna do this to us, nigga, you need to stand there, you know what I'm saying. But nobody want to stand there and listen, because I mean, it's awful.
Speaker 1: Now, who can fill a buster? Any senator?
Speaker 2: They just need to give notice that they intend to do this, and usually you give your party a heads up that you're finna do this, and then and the most frequent and formal step is just to be like, I object, and then the other senator say, hey, hey, we can't move on because it's full objects. Now that senator can ask to speak, but he does not have to speak, like I said, because all you're trying to do is just start the buster again.
Speaker 1: To end the filibuster, you have to have this super.
Speaker 2: Weapon, which is called cloture, right like we said before, which ends it.
Speaker 1: Now. You need it to be a sixty votes right, which is basically three fourths vote of the Senate. Right.
Speaker 2: But the Democrats now are asking to move that down to fifty one because this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's been happening.
Speaker 2: Since clearly it's a design flaw, you know what I'm saying, Like, at least that's the perception if it's been in every possible Senate since the beginning of the country. Now, if the cloture passes, it dictates that there's a maximum thirty hours of debate, meaning okay, nigga, it's just one more date. Then we have to vote on the measure. But then if cloture does not pass, then the filibuster remains in limbo and the and it has to move on to other stuff. So that means like we pull the culture. Culture didn't pass. That means you still don't get to come back to your hood and be like, look that's what I got for you. You don't get to do it right now. There's a thing called the nuclear option. That's the fifty one votes I'm talking about from a supermajority to just a majority. So in twenty thirteen, the Democrats actually deployed the nuclear option after being frustrated by the Republicans use of the filibuster against then President Obama's administration and federal court nominees. Right they removed the sixty vote threshold. But hold up, they bus we bus and then the Republicans did it in twenty seventeen, triggering the nuclear option as well to get nominees through. This is what I mean by they bus we bust. And this is a calculation you gotta make when you're on top. If I pull this trigger, I ain't gonna be on top the whole time. They might pull the trigger back on me. Now, if you're a gangster, you've already made that calculation when you signed up. Of course they gonna pull back. Of course they gonna shoot back. But that don't mean I don't shoot. So the question you gotta look at Joe Biden at and be.
Speaker 1: Like, are you a killer or not? Nigga, did you sign up for this or not? What is you doing?
Speaker 2: But the point is the philibuster has been a part of the American Senate process since the beginning. The question is do you think we should or should not have one? Some say again, it's the only respist that the minority party in power has because if not, like Nigga, nothing will never be able to do anything. And then it's like it's basically a one party. I mean, is it so Look, so the arguments for a filibuster, think of it like this. It's like yo, it promotes compromise, like it makes fools compromise. It provides a constraint. This is what I've been trying to argue right now. It's like if from Goss constraints over the party in power, and it supports confidence in American governance.
Speaker 1: These are the arguments for it.
Speaker 2: And then the arguments against, what we'll get to later is like, nigg you know that's not what they're doing, and you know you're being racist. But let's go back to the four right quote. Let's see Mark Decian from the Washington Post. He says the Democrats should take stock of everything they delayed and derailed under Trump because of the philibuster, and then imagine that all that and more enacted by a simple majority vote when the Republicans gained control of Congress at the presidency, which they eventually will, which is the whole argument.
Speaker 1: Look, they bus we bus.
Speaker 2: The philibuster allowed the Democrats to constrain the Republicans from enacting what the Democrats considered to be a radical agenda under a populist, right wing president. If they eliminate that too, and they act their own radical agenda.
Speaker 1: They would rue that.
Speaker 2: Decision when they become the minority. So they like, look, be careful now, because you ain't going to always be in power, right. And then here's Daniel Lipps from the Federal Society January twentyth, twenty twenty one. Historically, the Senate was designed to work its will to reach consensus, rather than to react of the passions of the day and simply implement the will of the majority. And it forces lawmakers of opposing political parties to work together and compromise. We can already see the cost of eliminating the need for bipartisan support of nominations. It is eroded public confidence Approving cabinet officials, judges, and justices along only party lines has been followed by lawmakers and public questioning of their legitimacy.
Speaker 1: Extending the check this out.
Speaker 2: Majoritarian power to major legislation would further eroad public's trust and increase the focus on political strategies to win a majority rather than governing. So he's trying to say what we obviously know always happens, which is, look, if you're the majority, you're gonna get your will and that's just not fair that the public don't trust us. We gotta have some tool to stop this just stupid cycle from continue. So if the government gonna trust it, you're gonna trust the laws we put in place that they ain't just political laws. The people we put in position, they ain't just political positions. We gotta have something right to make you trust us. You wit it now. So the two big arguments against it is like, Yo, it's deeply racist, and it has no historical merit.
Speaker 1: You I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna start with the historical merit part. I'm gonna quote Carolyn Frederickson from The Burning Center of Justice in October thirtieth. On twenty twenty, she says this, Now watch this. Some Americans mistakenly believe that the filibuster originated in seventeen eighty nine and was a part of the Frame plan to how the Senate should function. It plainly was not. The Constitution leaves it up to the House and the Congress to set its own rules. Indeed, the Framers considered and rejected the idea of requiring supermajorities for legislation. As Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalists twenty two to give a minority negative upon the majority, which is always the case where more than the majority is requisite to a decision, is in its tendency to subject the sense of a greater number than that of the lesser. They knew such built in obstruction could doom a republic, telling Lee the filibuster did not become a rule or a practice of the Senate until one hundred and twenty nine years later, after the Constitution was ratified. Moreover, not only is the Constitution silent about the matter, but it prescribes the supermajority votes only for very specific subjects such as treaties, and making clear that the simple majority is the expectation of other circumstances, including legislation that indicates supermajorities are required by the filibuster and otherwise disfavored.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of words. Here's what she's trying to say.
Speaker 2: What she's saying is, Look, this was never the plan. And you notice wasn't a plan. And if a simple majority work for everything, why you gotta do this extra supermajority like this.
Speaker 1: Even Alexander Hamilton knew this wasn't a plan.
Speaker 2: So don't act like don't act like it was always like this, It wasn't now pete this Rashad Robinson in March first of twenty twenty one. The nature of the filibuster, its rules and norms, is hardly an ironclad tradition. It has changed and adapted greatly over the years since it first became popular in the Civil rights era. But what hasn't changed is it's enduring connection to racism. The filibuster has always stood in the way of racial progress, whether employed by the Southern Democrats and the Jim Crow era or the Republican Party today as a major shift in the party stance on racial equality. When you understand the filibusters racist past, it becomes clear that it has a racist present as well. We just need to get rid of it. It's crazy when you see something that's systematically racist, but is there so long. It's almost like when you bake a cake. You can't when you bite the cake, you don't taste the flour no more, you don't taste the eggs.
Speaker 1: You just taste the cake.
Speaker 2: This argument is that's a filibuster, and some would argue that's the electoral college. Electoral college was to make sure that states with a lot of black people. A lot of free black people don't have an advantage over states that used to enslaved black people. And this Voting Rights Act from nineteen fifty seven was even more in this same practice of like, yo, y'all, just you're diverting the point. You're doing this because you don't want brown folk to have rights. And what's so crazy about it right now is it's almost like Niga is happening again, y'all.
Speaker 1: Don't you don't want.
Speaker 2: Us to have to protect our voting rights, so you're doing it again. But you could step back and say, well, no, it's just a procedure. What are you talking about. It's just a procedure. It's because now I can't taste the flower no more. It's already it's.
Speaker 1: In the cake. If I keep talking, you can't vote.
Speaker 2: But you gotta remember whatever weapon I got, they got. But nigga, you on top. Now you're gonna shoot or not you're gonna put on for us or what we put you on? You supost to ride for us? And it's a good cause you afraid to shoot. I thought you knew what you signed up for.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, well maybe you not a gangster.
Speaker 2: They you know, I don't know why I ain't thought of this before, but you know you could use promo code hood for fifteen percent off on terraform colbrew dot com. Like I forgot I own that company and this is my pod. Y'all, go ahead and punch your promo cod hood. If you in the cold Brew, it gets you some cold brew, gonna get you some coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I can't believe, I ain't think it is still right now, y'all.
Speaker 2: Y'all, this thing right here was recorded by Me Propaganda and East Loves Boil Heights, Los Angeles, California. This thing was mixed, edited, mastered, and scored by the one and the only Matt Awsowski. Y'all check out this fool's music. I mean, it's incredible. Executive produced by Sophie Lichterman for Cool Zone Media. Man, and thank you for everybody who continue to tap in with us. Make sure you leaving reviews and five star ratings and sharing it with the homies so we could get this thing pushed up in the algorithm. And listen. I just want to remind you these people is not smarter than you. If you understand city living, you understand politics, we'll see you next week.