Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah Hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and courtse creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long.
Speaker 1: Term career goals.
Speaker 2: We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura.
Speaker 2: This episode is airing in early May of twenty twenty five. Sarah is going to be interviewing Tiffany Moon, who some people may know from her appearances on the Real Housewives of Dallas. However, she also has a career as a physician, done a lot of other interesting, fascinating things that she writes about in her new memoir, Joy Prescriptions. So we're very excited to talk to Tiffany. But Sarah, you were not a regular Real Housewives of Dallas viewer prior to this.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: No, I really haven't spent much time watching Real Housewives in general, and so I didn't necessarily know what to expect I knew that she would probably be super glamorous, but when I read her memoir, actually, like, I was really drawn in by just how interesting her entire life story and the trajectory and how The Real Housewives was like one piece of her history. But definitely, once I was finished, I was like, well, that does not define Tiffany Moon. So yeah, some people are probably coming at this from like knowing her from the show, and I can't came at it from a different angle, but I kind of think her story is probably fascinating from either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I should say, It was funny you guys were having such a challenging time coming up with the time to make the interview work because you are both still seeing patients.
Speaker 1: I mean she sees patients a couple of days a week.
Speaker 3: Correct, Well, they're actually the opposite days, so her like, oh, our days are my like podcasting days, and vice versa. So it actually turned out that the day that our family left on a spring break trip, I had taken off and was like a Thursday, which is not a day like usually I'm clinically, So it was like, woo, the stars aligned. I think we moved it like three times and it worked out, and it was my fault that we were moving it like not the Real Housewife.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, well I should tell people Sarah's so conscientious that we got when I got the text that Sarah was like in the hospital with her cardiac event, She's also like R and I can't dinner view Tiffany because I'm here, and I'm like, huh, okay, well they'll probably understand.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 3: They were so nice, like they really were the whole team.
Speaker 1: So are you much?
Speaker 2: I mean you don't really watch You've watched some reality TV, haven't you read that?
Speaker 3: Fun to do a little rundown of like some of our favorite reality shows over the years, So Dance Moms with Annabelle mostly, But yeah, is it cake is one that my kids enjoy?
Speaker 1: Is it cake? I don't even know what this is.
Speaker 3: Oh, they make a cake or maybe it's not a cake, and you have to guess if it's cake or not because some of these things look so life like. And then they get a knife and like if it cuts and opens in the cake, then it was cake.
Speaker 1: Laura, You've got to check this out or feel like you would do all right? Somehow I have my kids like is it cake cultural phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Really really old shows that I really loved were The Glee Project, which was a spin off of the show Glee, but they were like trying to find the next cast member, so it was like a performance reality show. I did watch The Real World for a few seasons, like twenty years ago, American Idol of course, and then a sleeper hit in my family has been Shark t Ooh okay, yeah, like we'll watch that weirdly at like hotels.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well, you know, it comes on. It's interesting. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, it's like always on and everyone likes it, like all five of us, so great.
Speaker 1: It works about you, it works not that many.
Speaker 2: I mean I did watch the season finale of the first season of Survivors, so I had that Richard Hatch cultural point there, that cultural reference point.
Speaker 1: I haven't really watched it since.
Speaker 2: I do like remodeling and renovation shows, which I don't know if that counts as reality TV, but they are real he does.
Speaker 1: Usually you get their hunting for houses or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like the design and renovation stuff and seeing what people are able to do with the space and like what can be in vision and often people are able to stay in their homes that they thought they couldn't stay in their homes.
Speaker 1: It's just it needed to be renovated, and once.
Speaker 2: It was, it's like they don't actually want to sell it, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: I always love seeing that.
Speaker 2: But we're excited to hear what Tiffany has to say, so let's move to the interview.
Speaker 3: Well, I am so excited to welcome doctor Tiffany Moon to the show. This is such an honor to have her. I think she and her story are going to resonate so much with our listeners. She is definitely the first TV reality star we have had on the show. So with that, welcome, doctor Tiffany Moon.
Speaker 4: Hi, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: So can you share. Let's just start from the beginning. And I actually really enjoyed reading your origin story. And I don't know that you need to get into all of that now, although we may revisit some of it, but give our listeners if they are not familiar with your TV career or your kind of hybrid creative and professional career, give us the story in like the three minute version.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I immigrated to the United States when I was six years old from China. I didn't speak a word of English. I had to go to ESL. I was a super huge nerd my entire life. We moved very frequently, and so it was hard for me to make friends, and so I found a lot of solace in reading and doing schoolwork. I ended up graduating from high school at the age of fifteen, going to college, moved out of my parents' house, lived in a dorm. So I graduated from college when I was nineteen, went straight into medical school, graduated from medical school when I was twenty three, got married a few years later, and then by the time I turned thirty, I had two kids because I had twins. And then somewhere like in my mid thirties, about seven years into being a full time academic antithesiologist, I sort of had this like is this all there is? Moment? Not that I was ungrateful or that anything was wrong, but I just felt like I had worked so hard my entire life to get to this place that was supposed to be the summit of this great mountain I had been climbing for all my life, and it just wasn't all that I lacked laughter, I lacked creativity, I lacked connection, and I just felt like I went to the operating room at six thirty every day, got off sometime between four to five pm, missed all the mommy and me things that my kids preschool. Sometimes I would have a sick child at home and my nanny was taking care of my sick child while I went to the operating room to take care of my patients, and I just felt torn all the time. So I decided to go part time at work, which then opened up a lot of new opportunities for me, such as going on the Real Housewives of Dallas, trying my hand at stand up comedy, becoming a social media influencer, and then writing my book. My husband jokes that I went part time with my anesthesia job, but then I just picked up like three new jobs.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of where I am now, which is amazing, and listeners to this podcast can appreciate that I have a far less glass version of that in my own life. Talk a little bit about your decision to go part time, because the way you just described it is not quite the order you talked about it in your book. You really really struggled with that, Yeah, Can you share how that played out?
Speaker 4: Yes. In my department at work, I had seen a couple of women go part time before, either because they wanted to be more present with their families, and sometimes it was because they got sick and they needed to have time off to go to their appointments and stuff. And the unsaid thing at my work was that if you go part time, you sort of fall off the rising star trajectory in terms of having leadership positions, committee roles, teaching, mentoring, that kind of stuff. And they would call it going on the quote unquote mommy trap, like that was what going part time was. And I had worked so hard my entire life. I went into the best anesthesia program in the country. I graduated at the top of my medical school class. I was running multiple clinical trials and writing manuscripts. I mean I was breastfeeding one of my twins and literally typing a manuscript with the other hand on a laptop like it was wild. I had that Bobby Pillow thing, and I was so scared that if I went part time, I would fall off that growth curve and drop down. And I just didn't want to sacrifice all the hard work that I had spent to get there, only to then be relegated to the mommy track, and so I was like full force ahead. And I also wanted to do everything for my twin girls. So if I wasn't at the hospital, I was at home trying to make them homemade food, take them to mommy and me like jimboree and swim classes and music and all that stuff. And I quite frankly burned myself out because I was trying to be everything for everyone all at once.
Speaker 3: And I think now that i've I mean, this can be common, but your story is even more nuanced, because I think it's very interesting how much you even though you had a good amount of financial security, although obviously that can always change, but you could have gone part time earlier. You had an influencer career that was probably growing at that time already, and yet you stopped yourself. I wonder, and this is kind of in the book. I'm like reading between the lines, but you can tell me with some of that more like answering to your family's expectations or sort of like your concept of what being good kind of meant and how did you reckon with that?
Speaker 4: It was both You're right that none of this was about money. I mean I don't want to sound inconsiderate, but like I didn't need to work right and certainly not work that hard and be full time running clinical trials, taking overnight trauma call and liver transplant call like I was doing like way more. I think this is the crux of it that I've come to, this realization after lots of therapy, is that growing up as a child, the only time that I ever felt worthy was when I was doing something and helping other people and or making money. So I think a lot of this comes from my family upbringing. My parents were very strict, typical Asian immigrant parents, you know, like a ninety six was not good enough. They would ask me like, oh, why did you get a ninety six, Like you missed a problem. Let me see that, Like how could you miss that? That's such an easy problem, you know, that kind of thing. And so even as a young adult, even now in my forties, I still struggle with my worth and I keep taking on more tasks in order to prove how strong and capable I am. And here I wrote an entire book about finding joy. But I still have moments where there's this little nagging voice in the back of my head that tells me if I don't continue to achieve and do things, that I won't be seen as worthy. And I have to remind myself all the time. It's not like I just figured it out and I'm healed. Now.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that you still consider it like a work in progress. Yeah, is it something you talk about like, well, you've mentioned therapy and then I guess like with family members and your husband.
Speaker 4: And yes, I think therapy has been so helpful because I had so many complicated feelings about my childhood that I kind of swept under the rug. In my family, we didn't talk about feelings or problems, Like even when my parents were fighting, they would just not speak to each other for days at a time. And I saw this as a child. It was very weird. So I credit a lot of my personal growth the last five to ten years to therapy. Also working with an executive coach. I used to make fun of women who had coaches because I'd be like, what are they coaching you for? Like you don't know how to be an adult? But like I've now swung the other way, and I tell everybody that they need a coach, no matter what line of work. You're in. And I think the third thing probably was learning to set healthy boundaries, because I grew up in a home where there were no boundaries, and I grew up wanting to be perfect and people please and always do more. And when I learned to set healthy boundaries and enforce them, I really feel like that changed my life.
Speaker 3: I love that We're going to take a quick break and we'll be back talking a little bit more about some of the lessons that you share in your book. All right, we are back, And one of the chapters that I really enjoyed was you talking about your college experience and then your med school experience. Maybe I enjoyed those because I followed somewhat of a similar path, although I did not do my college in two years the way you did. But then you came to a conclusion that I think you regretted some of the way you approached college. And talk a little bit about the concept of enjoying the process. Can you share how that played out and maybe some of the ways in which you feel like you're better able to enjoy the process today or what that might look like.
Speaker 4: Yes, So I always thought that there was a finish line and the faster I got to the finish line than I would win, but life is not a race. And because I went to college so early, like I never went to senior prom, I never had like that first crush experience, like I was basically in high school and then I moved out of my parents' house to go to the dorm and had to grow up very quickly with it in like a several months. And then I went to Cornell after my program in Texas, and I was just studying all the time. I was taking like seventeen to nineteen credits a semester. I was taking organic chemistry and physics and studying for the MCAT at the same time. Because god forbid I take a gap year between undergrad and medical school, Like no, I needed to go straight through. And that was just too much of a course load for someone, you know, So I missed out on a lot of those rich college experiences that other people talk about because I was just straight up going to class and study like that was all college was for me. I went to Cornell a total of four semesters, no summer school, no whatever, and basically just packed it all in. But because there was so much emphasis on like academic achievement and finishing early. I didn't get to study abroad. I don't really have besties from college because you need to spend time with people in order to nurture those deep friendships, and I just wasn't. I was like in the library studying all the time. And when I graduated, I was nineteen. So I tell people how I look at my life, my medical school was my college because when I was in medical school, I was nineteen to twenty three years old. That's more college age. And I'm telling you, like, those four years were probably the most fun years of my life, which when I tell normal people that, they're like, oh my god, this girl's such a dork, like she loved medical school so much. But my two best friends from this very day until this very day were my tank mates from Cadaver Lab, Lisa and Michelle. And so I think I replaced my college experience with my medical school experience. But I do wish that I could have just slowed down a little bit and enjoyed and stopped to smell the roses, because I was just a one track horse with blinders on focus at the finish line. And then the sad thing is you think it's going to be like confetti and streamers at the finish line. And you get there and it's kind of like meh, like, what's the next thing? Oh, I guess we'll start med school. Now, you know, what's the next thing? I need to do residency fellowship. Then I got to get a prestigious academic job. Like the finish line always moves, there's always another target. And so what I tell people now is like the joy is in the journey and not in the destination.
Speaker 3: And that that's true now, right, Like, cause I'm sure as you were doing Real Housewives it was like, okay, this, well, it didn't sound like you loved every minute of that, but you enjoy it.
Speaker 4: There was not a whole lot of joy in Housewives. There was a lot of drama, a lot of fighting, a lot of stupidity, but like joy not so much.
Speaker 3: And then not, well, that process might have been more tough to enjoy. But I guess even with something like that, which for some people might have been like the pinnacle of what they were aiming for, not necessarily you, but for some people they're still what's next? Now it's the book? Okay, the book's done. Now, what's next, and even with less glamorous things in their lives. I think a lot of our listeners can relate to that. How do you go about like enjoying your now as it is every day, mundane day to mundane day.
Speaker 4: Yes, So okay, these are like the three pillars that I try to focus on. It's connection, gratitude, and laughter, And that's what I have in the book as well, like each of the chapters that ends with the joy prescription. So connection is so important to me because I used to feel like I live life like on the very surface of the water, but never going deep enough to make those actual connections. It's you know, like passing by colleague, surgeons, nurses in the army like oh, hey, how is your weekend? Like where'd y'all go for spring break? It was just all very like surface level, and I was like, I'm not going to do that anymore. I'm going to like choose some people to interact with in a more deep and meaningful manner, you know, like we would have a new faculty on board, and after they settled in a little bit, I'd be like, hey, next time you're in between surgeries or whatever, like let me buy you a coffee and let's go sit and talk, and I'd be like, where are you from? Why did you come to Dallas? Why did you pick this job? And just get to know people a little bit better, Like I really feel like for many years I didn't have rich, deep connections. The second thing is gratitude, because I think we're all so busy and the world is a crazy place, and sometimes I would catch myself like just being complaining or woe is me? Things aren't going the way I wanted. Oh, I was supposed to go home at three pm, but they just put an ad on case in my room and I'd be all cranky about it. And I started like doing a lot of mindset work. I read so many self help books, listen to all the podcasts, and I started telling my brain that when things happen, that I get to do something, not I have to do something, you know, like when my alarm goes off at five and I'm supposed to go to the gym before I go to ther I'm like ugh. But then I just tell myself like, Nope, it's a privilege, Like I get to go to the jim you know, my body is able, and I'm working on not having sarcipedia when I'm older in osteoporosis, so I'm doing like weight bearing exercise, and yeah, it's a pain in the ass, it really is, especially at five point thirty in the morning. But like, I think it's a privilege, not a punishment. And I was listening to a podcast about a year ago and the woman on there said some people would take your problems and call them blessings, and I was like, oh, like, you're right, Like I've come so far, and sometimes I just catch myself complaining about the stupidest things. But then when I think about that line, it kind of like humbles and grounds me. And then the last thing is laughter. My twin girls are ten now, so they're not as goofy as they were when they were like three, four or five, and I could do silly things, but sometimes before get to laugh, or we just take ourselves so seriously, And anesthesia's not exactly like a fun funny specialty. I have like really sick people on the table, and so now I try to like intentionally cultivate laughter, whether that's like watching a one hour Netflix special, doing something silly with my kids, running around like just trying to find the funny in life's situations versus being like pissed off and annoyed.
Speaker 3: So it's a really interesting reframe. I'm like picturing you and the well, there could be things to make fun of in the oar. I could see my war.
Speaker 4: It's pretty serious. The laughter part actually doesn't really go in the or. You know, some of the surgeons they don't like my jokes, or the patients they're like, are you gonna put me to sleep? And I'm like, uh huh, maybe I'll even wake you up and they're like they're like that, No, we leave the jokes outside the.
Speaker 3: Or oh my gosh. Well, we're going to take another break and then we're going to talk about something I loved that you brought up, which is weaponized professionalism. All right, we will be right back. All right, we are back. And I was so fascinated by you talking about how you know, if I met you at work, I would be like, that is the coolest thing ever. She is like doing it all. She's so fashionable, she's so cool, Like let me follow her around, let me try to get surgery. So anyway, I would be very excited to work with you, and like in awe of all you've accomplished, but then you've noted that in some spheres, doing things that might be seen as more feminine, maybe maybe more superficial, are sort of like used against you. And I think the phrase from your book was weaponized professionalism, and I was like, ooh, and I do feel like this is something that disproportionately impacts I'm in. It might even disproportionally impact people of color, different ethnicities, And I'd love to know kind of what you've seen with this and then how you have learned to handle it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've dealt with a lot of that. I think whenever, as a female professional, someone else doesn't like something you're doing, they weaponize the word professionalism against you. Oh, that's unprofessional. So several years ago, like twenty twenty, actually, COVID Times is when I really started being more active on social media. Before that, I would just like look at other people's social media and maybe like some stuff, but I never posted anything on my page. And then in twenty twenty, because of the pandemic and all the elective surgeries at work had been canceled, we were only doing like cancer and trauma surgeries. I had more time on my hands, and so I started posting just really as a way to relieve my boredom and try to engage with a their human beings. And I got called into my supervisor's office at the hospital and I was told that some of my social media content was unprofessional. That was the word they used. I remember it very clearly. My male supervisor said, stop by my office when you get a chance. I'm like, ret row. So I go and I'm like, hi, sir, you wanted to talk to me and he's like, yeah, have a seat. So there's been some concern from some of our colleagues that some of your recent social media posts aren't professional. And I was like, okay, do you care to elaborate? He was very vague. He wouldn't tell me which post who brought. I was like, is someone concerned? Like have I offended someone? And he was like, well, you know, it's just not a good look because were supposed to be, you know, professionals, and people look up to us. And I'm like, okay, I'm dancing. I'm posting about skincare, beauty fashion. I had made this thing called quarantine fashion, and I pretended like the hallway of my house was a runway and then we made different outfits using like trash bags, toilet paper, like weird stuff, and it was a quarantine fashion show. Like it was all in good fun. It was all filmed during off time. It's not like I was engaging in dangerous or legal activities or whatever. And I just sat there in his office like absolutely flabbergasted that one people were watching me enough to care and then two like screenshotting it and sending it to him. Because I was like kind of upset, and I was like, look, unless you have a specific thing that I did, like giving me this blanket, your social media is unprofessional, like doesn't help me. Like I don't know what should I just stop posting altogether? And I was like, also, who told you this? Because he was like, oh, well, I'm not even on social media, so I don't really understand what's going on. And I was like, well, did you actually see any of the posts? And he said, well, some people screenshoted some stuff and texted it to me, and I was like, you know what, these people need something better to do. Obviously they're following and watching me, you know, and then they don't like something I'm doing and then they like report it under the guise of like, I'm concerned this may reflect poorly on our department, and I was like, get out of here. Like people like that, I can't stand them.
Speaker 3: There's something a little sinister about specifically, I don't know, targeting like more feminine, you know, because if it was a guy like picturing showing his like monster truck hobby and his fishing, like I just don't think the conversation, like no one would have minded right, Like.
Speaker 4: No guys are doing like that. You're chugging thing with the hose or whatever, and like having a con it's like a frat party, you know what I mean, and everybody thinks it's funny. But then like I model a dress made out of toilet paper and that's unprofessional, you know what I mean. It's a double standard for sure.
Speaker 3: But ultimately you you must have worked it out. So did you tell them that, like, hey, let's pretend this was some other topic, Like what specifically do you have an issue with? Like how were you able to resolve things?
Speaker 4: I don't know that I resolved them. I basically said, unless you have more specific and constructive feedback for me, I don't know what more else I can do. And that was basically it, and I thought, Okay, there's a fork in the road here. I can either play small and tone down my social media because apparently I've made some people uncomfortable with it. But also I'm like, stop watching, Like if you don't like my content, you know, there's this whole button that says like block or unfollow or something, you know, like why keep watching my content? But then like report it to get me in trouble. That's so lame. And the other side of the fork of the road was like, hey, how about I just keep being myself and posting the things that I like and this is my life and I will not shrink or dim my light because it's a little too bright for you. And I went with that. I was like, I'm not going to play small. So in many ways, I kept doing what I was doing, and in many ways I doubled down and made even more content because I was like, I don't know it kind of like whenever people challenge me, I'm like, watch this. So I made even more content. I started getting brand partnerships, my follower count started going up and up. I was like getting invited to go to dinners at new restaurants, that were opening in town just because they wanted some people to go and post about it. And I was like, this is kind of a cool side gig, Like I'm so glad that I didn't decide to play small when all these losers were complaining about me, because now look at all these opportunities that I have.
Speaker 3: I think it's awesome. You said a boundary and then you went for it, and you're like, if you have feedback for my anesthesia performance, please let me know. I would love to hear about that.
Speaker 4: Yes, the funniest thing that ever happened was it was actually a woman. It's funny. There's like man on women badness, and then there's like women on women badness. One of my female physician colleagues screenshotted something that I posted, and I guess she meant to send it to someone else, but she sent it to me, talking crap about me like it yeah, oops, right, Like this was like before the days of like I think you can unsend an I message Now I don't really know how that works, but I screenshoted it anyway, and I have it like forever in my camera role. And then she tried to backtrack. She was like oh, I didn't mean, and I was like, you can't. You cannot backtrack from that. So I became very acutely aware that there were people in my department like actively trying to take me down. And that was a crappy feeling. But I have screenshots so if this ever goes anywhere, like, I have a whole folder of receipts on stuff like this.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, And you shared the acronym haters having anger towards everybody reaching success. Hadn't heard that before?
Speaker 4: Yes, I didn't come up with that. I borrowed it from a podcast or something else that I read. But that's how I think of haters. I do social media coaching for female physicians and other business leaders. I basically audit their social media page and look at what's working, what's not, give them content, ideas and just strategies to elevate their brand presence on social media. And often it comes up with my clients that when they post and stuff, there's always some haters in the comments, and so this is when I use that, and I'm like, haters stands for having ancher towards everyone reaching success, because anytime you kind of like come out of your lane a little bit and put yourself out there. There's going to be negativity. Like, that's how human nature works. So the way I explain it is like, say you play small, you go to work, you go to church, your kids have some parents that are your friends. So you have like one hundred people in your sphere of influence, right, and like five or ten of them you just don't care for. You don't get along, You generally try to avoid each other. The problem is when you start putting yourself out there, especially on social media, and now your sphere of influence grows from let's say one hundred to a thousand or ten thousand people now fifty to one hundred or five hundred to one thousand people don't care for you. It's the same exact proportion, but it's much more people. And we as humans always have a negativity bias, right, And so a lot of my clients, once they start getting the hater comments, I'm like, that's.
Speaker 1: Great, babe.
Speaker 4: That means you're doing something, that means you're growing. And they're like, doesn't feel great, and I'm like, no, trust me, Like, if you have haters, that means you are doing something right. It means you're putting yourself out there and not everyone agrees with everything. You don't agree with everything you hear, you don't like everybody that comes across your feet, and it's fine. So my goal, I tell my clients, I'm like, your goal is to get more haters, because that means you're growing. I mean, it's kind of a joke, but I want to normalize the fact that there will always be naysayers and we should not let that detract us from following our passion and continuing to put ourselves out there. If I had let all that stuff at work happen, I would have like not kept posting on social media. And now that's like one of my actual jobs and it's so fun and it gives me way more flexibility than working in the operating room, and it allows me to flex my creativity and laughter, which there's not much creativity or laughter in the operating room. So it's really enriched my life. And had I listened to the haters, I wouldn't even be here. So the lesson to the listeners here is like, do not listen to the haters.
Speaker 3: I love it, I love it, love it. I love that you're still doing the hybrid. I love that you are working full time in different ways while still enjoying your time with your kids. This has been so much fun and I absolutely recommend your bo especially because I really feel like you share so much and it reads like a juicy memoir, not like Self Help to Me, which I thought like was a good thing. Before we wrap up, I forgot to warn you, but we always share one thing that we love on the show. Just anything making you happy this week.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I remember your gratitude list from your book, which was kind of funny. So you could do something like what you put on there, or just anything. It could be like the weather, it could be like a product, anything. I'm going to start us off to give you time to think, and I'm just going to share. My love of the week is that I got to take my thirteen year old shopping for her birthday. And I don't know, I feel like that was one of those kind of things you envision when your kids are little, like, oh, my kid's gonna be a teen and we're gonna go shopping together. There's gonna be fun. And it really really was fun. We mostly got like ath leisure like Lulu and Alo, and it was great. I had a wonderful time.
Speaker 4: So what is so sweet?
Speaker 3: So what is your love of the week.
Speaker 4: Okay, well we just got a new dog. He's right here, let me see if oh, well your people can't see there.
Speaker 3: That's so exciting.
Speaker 4: We got a new dog. His name is Custom. He's laying on the floor next to me right now. He's such a sweet boy. He is a Belgian malinoaw. I don't know if you know what that is. It's people think he's a German Shepherd. They look similar, but it's not exactly the same. But he's so sweet. I haven't My other dog is like seven. And if Custom is new, you forget. It's like having a child, Like how hard it is in the beginning, you know, because he's like chewing everything and having accidents and all this kind of stuff. But I don't know, he's like my son. I love him so much and I don't know what it is, but like, I just love animals. I just have away with animals. My friend calls me snow white because animals just gravitate towards me. I'm like the dog whisper, not so much with people, but but with dogs. Yes, So my obsession right now is my new dog.
Speaker 3: I love it. So just remind our listeners the name of your book and where they can find you.
Speaker 4: Yes, the name of my memoir is Joy Prescriptions. It's available anywhere where books are sold, or on joyprescriptions dot com, where before May sixth you can get over three hundred dollars worth of pre order bonuses. And if you guys want to follow me along on all my unprofessional antics, I'm across all the social media platforms at Tiffany Moon MD.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Thank you so much for coming on, Tiffany.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me. Sarah, Well we are back.
Speaker 1: That was great.
Speaker 2: Sarah interviewing Tiffany Moon, author of the brand new book Joy Prescriptions. So our question this week comes from someone who says her husband and she have agreed to do more date nights, but seem to tire of the typical dinner and we cannot stay up for a movie. Other ideas, including even home dates, are welcome. So, Sarah, what are you thinking would be fun in the offbeat date night category?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, I always feel like a low key sport can be good, meaning like bowling, mini golf, something where there's a little like competition to keep it spicy, and I top golf is like a new thing. I mean that's like a specific chain, but like that's sort of like regular golf, but can be gamified, which would I think be fun on a date. I think anything that could be gamified, like even a museum, Like, okay, let's go to a museum together and then decide if we can each find like guess each other's favorites in a given room. Or my other idea was night of hedonism where you get massages and then go out for ice cream.
Speaker 1: Interesting and at home you had some ideas for at home? Yes, at home.
Speaker 3: Someone told me about this, I think in a Patreon maybe. But virtual wine tasting is a thing where you can get a box sent to you and then like they do a zoom and then you and your partner like taste wines like in together, but like with a like a Somelier leading.
Speaker 1: Interesting. This that's interesting. Huh yeah. Yeah, it's not like how do you virtually drink wine? I'm not sure. No, you drink the real drink the real wine. Okay, that's good. That makes for a better date. Yeah, that's sounds fun.
Speaker 2: I think one idea is you know if it sounds like people are tired at this could be a problem. Like you've gotten through the work weekends, like Friday night is date night, but then like everyone's so tired they kind of want to go to bed. I wonder if you could get out of the idea of night or maybe like move your regular date time. Maybe for your family, it would work better if you hired a sitter for like four hours on Saturday afternoon, and you could go out to lunch, or go to the gym together, or go to an art museum, or go play top golf for whatever, but at a time when you would have a lot more energy. Or as we heard in our Cheap It Hot episode a few weeks ago, you could also hire that sitter to take your children out of your house and then you could do whatever you want in your house during that time on Saturday afternoons. I would also just suggest pro sports is a a different thing. If you've got any or minor league sports would work in major league, minor league, whatever. If you are in a reasonable size city, there might be something you can do. It turns out places have a lot of different teams. We've been doing the tour of Phillies Professional sports institutions, and that's made for a couple of fun activities for us.
Speaker 3: And that's a great one because like you have entertainment but on like a play or a movie, like, there's plenty of time to talk to each other.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: But you know it might be helpful just to brainstorm ideas too, Like we could treat this as something of a project for the two of you instead.
Speaker 1: Of because I think sometimes this gets to the well, we have this center for Friday, like we have a regular Friday setters that what are we supposed to do? I don't know what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: So just some other time, like both of you, like brainstorm a short list separately, and then you come together and compare your lists and brainstorm together to add no more to the list.
Speaker 3: This would be a fun date night activity.
Speaker 1: Well that's true. You could make that into a date night activity as well. Let's play on our next date. Right, we're not doing anything tonight, but here's what we might do at our next time. We do this.
Speaker 3: Combine it with your virtual wine tasting.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true, that could work as well, or just forget the tasting, just pour a glass of wine it's all good, yeah, and who knows what you might come up with, but I think you know it's worth spending some time and then you'll have a couple ideas for there on Thurne Well, this has been best of both worlds. Sarah has been interviewing Tiffany Moon, author of the book Joy Prescriptions, also known for her appearances on Real Housewives of Dallas. We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram, and you.
Speaker 2: Can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com.
Speaker 1: This has been the best of both worlds podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.