Speaker 1: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 2: This is the local Toy Dealers KSR postgame show. The Cats fall in a random, not positive Saturday afternoon in Rupperna ninety four to seventy eight to number one Auburn with just two games left in the season. The Cats now eight to eight in the SEC and nineteen and ten overall.
Speaker 1: You can give us a shout.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a Saturday afternoon after loss, so I'd love to talk to you. A five nine two eight ho twenty two eighty seven really an odd day. I mean, I'll be honest with you when we when I start, I didn't see the last twelve minutes of the game, and chances are you didn't either, right, Uh, because we lost the TV feed. I was told there was a pretty significant issue outside of RUP next to the television truck that caused it to lose all power. So that is why the game was not on the last twelve minutes. I can't remember there ever being a UK game in the last twenty five years where you just weren't able to watch it. You know, you would think that wouldn't happen, but I guess they lost all power and tried to do other things and just weren't able to do it. So but maybe a blessing in disguise because Kentucky I think when the power went out, was down what eighteen, and we ended up losing by by sixteen. You know, let's start. There's like four or five different things to throw in here. Number one, Auburn's really good, so just start. I will start with that. They are really really good. You know, Broom did not even have that big a game and they still were dominant.
Speaker 1: The Kelly kid got nine.
Speaker 2: Threes, which is the fourth most threes ever made in a game by an opposing player, and Roperna two of them were banked back to back, which is how I mean. I knew at that moment we were losing. You probably did as well. But you know, they were great. They are really really really good offensively, like historically good offensively when it comes to efficiency. And then defensively, I think they're really good too, And they had a great game plan tonight. They basically said, you know, we're gonna play everything outside three point line and good luck finishing at the rim. And we were bad at it. And I honestly think this game was lost. Well, it was lost in two phases. Phase one was when we made our first substitutions in the first half, and then Phase two was the last two minutes of the first half, in the first four minutes the second half. Really there were two phases, and Auburn was great in those phases. As soon as we went to the bench at the beginning, took the start, took a couple of the starters out, brought in a couple guys.
Speaker 1: Off the bench. They just took advantage.
Speaker 2: And even though they hit some contested looks, our offense, our offense just grinds to a halt, unfortunately when we get to the bench, and then in the start of the second half, it was our starters and six turnovers before you even get a field goal attempt up. That's that might be a record, that may be. That may be as poor of three minutes of offense as you'll ever see a group of good players play. Couldn't even couldn't even ribble the basketball turnovers that led to buckets eighteen turnovers for Kentucky today. So just a really poor Those two phases of the game are why we lost. I mean, it was seven to six when they made the sub and then all of a sudden it was twenty one to eight, and then I think it was what like a twelve thirteen point game at halftime, and it got up to twenty two quickly. And you know, those two runs, you're just not gonna overcome it. So those to me, Number one, Auburn's really good. Number two, we had two terrible phases. Third and you know, some of this is Auburn the way they're playing defense. But you know, if you had told me at the beginning of the season we're gonna have a game where we only make fourth, I might have predicted.
Speaker 1: A score like this. This is just not a team.
Speaker 2: Kentucky is not a team this year that is going to beat anybody going to the basket. We're just not that you can get buckets going to the basket. But like if you're an offensive, game plan is we're gonna score at the rim, We're just not good at it. Like Oway and Butler, you just can't consistently finish. We had four straight possessions that I counted basically possessions that were back to the basket shots. And while we hit some of those against Oklahoma, I just don't know. I mean, it's the least efficient shot in basketball is a post up. That's one of the misnomers is that people think next to a long two, the least efficient shot you can do is a is a post up. And our guys aren't great at it. And we had I think Williams missed a couple and car missed one or two. That was at the end of the first half. Our offensive game plan, it just didn't work. I mean, I don't know. I mean part of that is Auburn was not gonna let us get threes. But we've got to figure out an answer to that because these teams that are pressuring us on the outside and daring us to win at the rim, we're just not.
Speaker 1: We missed, by my count.
Speaker 2: Before the TV broadcast went off six shots at the rim. Again, if you want to beat the number one team in America, you can't do that. We made four threes, they made twelve. Okay, you give up twenty four points on the three point line, you're not gonna win.
Speaker 1: Then you throw in eighteen turnovers, you're not gonna win.
Speaker 2: So you know, Mark Pope said on this show, on the postgame show right before this said that we offered almost no defensive resistance and we're not able to do anything offensively. I mean he's right now. The defensive resistance we haven't offered much this year. But offensively, that was not a good performance for the first twenty eight minutes.
Speaker 1: Now again, I didn't get to see the last twelve.
Speaker 2: It looks like they got a little better, but still you're down so much at that point, you know, what, what what difference does it make? Also, Jackson Robinson is now out for the year. UH Pope announced afterwards he's gonna have surgery Wednesday. I'd actually heard they were gonna maybe send him to one more specialist on Monday or Tuesday. We talked about that on the pregame show in New York, a risk specialist to see if he could. Basically wanted to see can he play this year and get the surgery at the end of the year. And I guess it's been decided even before going to see UH the specialist that that that he can't, So they're gonna have He's gonna have surgery Wednesday. I wish the kid the best. I really liked him. I like him as a player. I think he's exactly what Kentucky needs. They just he can get his own shot. And we just don't have He may be the only player that can get his own shot consistently as a with a three. Butler and Oway can beat guys off the bounce sometimes, but Robinson can get open shake and get get a jumper and make it. And we're just not gonna have that right now. So I hate it for him, but I also hate for the team. I think I said at the end of the year that I thought for us to be great, he needed to be our best player.
Speaker 1: There were a handful of games where he was, but we don't have him.
Speaker 2: So now you got to look at the tournament and go, okay, we're not going to have him, now what. And my look at it is this we got without Jackson Robinson.
Speaker 1: I think we got five guys that are really good.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think our starting five, which is Butler, Oway, Brea Williams and Carr, is a NCA tournament Elite eight level starting five. The problem is that without Kerkresa and without Jackson Robinson, our bench is not good. Our bench had five points tonight. Okay, our bench made one field goal tonight. And I don't say this like I think all those kids they have a role. But then when they they're being asked to step into a bigger role than was envision for them. And you know, I think Ansley Amanor can get you buckets sometimes. I think Brandon Garrison can have good games like he did against Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: I think there are.
Speaker 2: Moments that Noah Perry and Chandler in the right situation can give you spot minutes that can work. But to me, we got five guys who can play against teams like Auburn at an elite level, and we're probably in the tournament just gonna have to roll with them, and it is what it is. I mean, to Pope's credit, he did some of that tonight. I mean, Braya played thirty eight minutes. So you know there's a part of me, Billy that goes this notion that like you're at maximum efficiency. He played bray a thirty eight minutes, so clearly he knew that there's times you have to.
Speaker 3: Do that right And we want to make a three.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight minutes, Butler played thirty two, Williams played thirty one. I applaud that's but that's what this team is gonna have to be. Car played twenty eight. Ohway only played twenty but that was because of foul trouble. He had some really stupid fouls. And I'm I'm not gonna get mad at him because he had such a good game against Oklahoma, but like the third foul over the back was a terrible foul. He fouled on that three. I don't like the call now that three point shooters, if you land on their feet, they call it, but they do and we know it, so we're doing we're fouling on that so much now, Cars was a bad call card that he didn't touch them, but Oway did, And like, our guys are not doing what these other players are to draw the fouls, so we're getting killed by it. But those are our five and I think Pope, I don't know this, but I would think he's gonna go in the tournament. We're probably playing thirty two to thirty six minutes with those. Those are the guys. Like those five, they're gonna win it or lose it for us. And the thing is they can't have bad games in the tournam Like we need all five guys to play well. Oway did not play well tonight in the first half. None of them played great except for Mari, but they were all okay, but Oway never played well. Let's say Oway instead of four, gets fifteen. All right, now it's a game. Let's say our bench, our bitch, has to score more than five points. I mean, come on, Chandler had four, Garson had one. You can't do that. You're gonna have to get more than five, even in spot minutes. They have to get more than that. So disappointing result. I'm not like, I'm not a what you know, doom and gloom. I'd say at this moment, Kentucky is probably still maybe the last three seed, maybe the first four, but probably still the last three. Losing to Auburn, I mean their number one team in the nation, that doesn't kill you. I think they're still trending towards being the eight seed in the SEC tournament, which would mean playing Auburn in the in the second round if you got there, uh, in the quarterfinals.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at this right now. Right now, we are in eighth place.
Speaker 2: Mississippi State and Vandy still have to play, but I think we will have the tiebreaker on both of them. The problem is Old miss they won and we don't have the tiebreaker, So I think our chance of moving up to the seven has kind of gone away, so we're probably gonna be the eight, probably gonna end up playing that first game Thursday at one o'clock, and we might see this Auburn team in the quarterfinals again. So that's kind of what we're looking at. Tough day, great crowd. I thought the energy before the game was awesome. I thought the crowd was awesome, and then then it was hard for them to have a lot to cheer about, and they tried, but you know, you're down fifteen in the first half. It's pretty tough. And we now also have a gamebillity that we'll know as the ABC lost the feed game, first SEC game I can remember on ABC in twenty years, and it's also becomes the first game they ended up out on television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, how does that happen?
Speaker 1: How does that happen? Well, I told you how it happened. I mean, I know how to genera.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think we were supposed to say fire. Billy said that for the record, not me.
Speaker 3: Oh why not?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, apparently there was a fire outside the whoops, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: You really?
Speaker 4: For two?
Speaker 5: I think they just didn't want to say fire, and Billy's like fire. Uh okay, So that's why I didn't come on. It wasn't a fixable situation. I don't know, presumably like I should have been able to see it from my house like Sarah Palin, but I wasn't able to. But so now you get go down in history. We missed the last twelve minute. Can you imagine if this game was close, Billy?
Speaker 2: What if this was like a two point game with four minutes to go and beat compete.
Speaker 1: That I mean, it would have been.
Speaker 2: Probably it's best for everyone at the Worldwide Leader of Sports that that this game was not closed, because our fans would have lost it if we had not been able to watch a close game.
Speaker 1: Uh eight twenty two eighty seven. We're gonna take your calls.
Speaker 2: Billy will tell you more things he's probably not supposed to say.
Speaker 1: That's next here on the Local Toy Dealers KSR Post game show. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It is the Local Toy Dealers KSR postgame Show. I said, by the way that we were in good shape to get the buy. That's not one hundred percent certain because all right, so Mississippi State's playing.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma right now?
Speaker 3: Or is it LSU.
Speaker 2: LSU Uh, it looks like they're gonna win. If they win, then we're tied with him, but we do have the tiebreaker. But they have two games left and they may not lose. They play Texas at home and then at Arkansas. We need them to assuming we beat ls we need them to at least lose one of those, so we might need CAL to beat them in that last game in order for us to get the buye. So we need to beat LSU and then probably need because if we lose to Missouri, will need CAL to beat to beat Mississippi State to move on. So wait and see. How about that? First of all, who called it? I called that game. I didn't think they'd lose. I didn't think they'd only have twenty points with ten minutes to go in the second half. It was a history like it was there. They had the fewest points they've scored in a game since nineteen eighty eight in the first half. But I knew they were gonna lose that game. Cal always loses that game, but I didn't think it was gonna be by that much. And then Alabama leads at Tennessee, which would be another one.
Speaker 1: Abillity that I picked that none of you all picked.
Speaker 2: I could be two to oher on those you did, however, pick Auburn, whereas we all picked Kentucky. Who's up first, Tasha, Tasha, go ahead, Tash, Tasha.
Speaker 6: So I was at the game, shout out to Chris and Elizabeth were suffering through that with us, and Andrew. If you're listening, I'm not gonna switch seats with you. But I've been a season ticket holder for three years and Mark Pope's first year aside, you know, it's been a rough stretch of losing all the big games at home that matter. Gonzagas.
Speaker 1: We didn't lose all the big games at home, Tasha, We didn't lose all the big games we beat. We beat Louisble at home. We beat Florida at home, we beat Tennessee at home. We want.
Speaker 2: We did lose Arkansas, we did lose Alabama. Hang on, we did lose Arkansas. We did lose Alabama, we did lose Auburam, but we didn't lose them all. We were for what I would consider big games in Rock.
Speaker 6: We were three and three well the last three years. I'm a season ticket holder, but I haven't been to all the games. You know, I had to sell some of them to compensate for the cost. So I feel like the games that I've been to anyway, the games that matter. You know, before I was a season ticket holder, I was twenty and oh like we won every game. So maybe it's me. I don't know, but it's been a rough stretch and I'm I'm just gonna leave you with one last thing. I'm not gonna cuss, but one thing that I left with the game. You know, Doug Shows. It's like, if you Dug come on, man.
Speaker 7: That was rough.
Speaker 1: But Duck Showers didn't do that. Duck Shows didn't do the game.
Speaker 8: I thought that was Doug.
Speaker 1: It was not. So if you were cussing at Dug Shows, he wasn't there.
Speaker 6: Well, whoever it was, he got Duck Shows.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the call. Poor Dug Shows. She's out there cussing it. Dug Shows, he's not even He's not even on the game. You think you're thinking about Joe Lindsey.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The first half was brutal from an officiating standpoint. I mean, you know, again, we have to be fair as Kentucky fans. We I mean, they called a lot more fouls on Auburn, or at least at one point it was a lot more fouls on Auburn than us. But some of the call I mean Andrew Carr three call was terrible, the dumb off, the.
Speaker 1: Butler fray.
Speaker 2: I mean that probably technically is a flagrant, but that's not the spirit of the rule. Plus you didn't even call foul on the floor, Like, I don't understand how you cannot.
Speaker 1: There were two calls there that made no sense to me.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how you cannot call a foul then decide to review it.
Speaker 1: To find a flagrant.
Speaker 2: Like if you didn't see enough to even call a foul, why did you even go to the monitor? Now, with that said, he did hit him in the face, And whether I think that's a good rule or not.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: And then I don't understand the double foul, you know, I don't get that either. How is there a double foul? Like who calls that? They called the foul on Garrison went to the monitor and called a double foul. And the reason they did that is they saw that they clearly Broom had fouled Garrison first, and so they were like, well, I guess we have to call a double foul.
Speaker 1: The monitor reviews. They gotta do something about that long.
Speaker 2: I I agree with Joe. I agree with Jay Bills, Jay Billson. He he is exactly right. Just give make it like the NBA, give each coach one review. If he ends up getting it right, then he gets another one and then you know, review in the last minute or something. But like this this idea that you have to review everything, like come on, especially in the first half, Like just come on, keep going these games.
Speaker 1: That first half was like an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: You know, that's they got to stop that, Like it's it's unnecessary and it takes too long, you know, the review of a rebounding foul for stop, just stop.
Speaker 3: Who's next, Brad?
Speaker 1: What's up? Brad Man?
Speaker 9: I'm calling the complain about the rest today.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding, well I was. I mean, there were some things to complain about, but we lost. We got whipped. Like it's not the it's not the rest fall. We got whipped.
Speaker 9: No, No, I'm calling more so about the injuries. I don't know if you read the the KSR website article, Yeah, the percentages, Like I think since like twenty twenty or twenty one that we haven't had a full roster. My comment is we have to go all out next year somehow. I don't know how we can make it happen. No, walk on, we got to have twelve thirteen, Well, we had twelve this year.
Speaker 1: We had twelve this year. I mean like during the Calaira, I think that was.
Speaker 2: A reasonable complaint that we didn't have enough guys. But we got twelve guys. Now, could he have gotten the thirteenth? I think he wanted to leave. He decided to leave the thirteenth scholarship open because he thought something would come up in the summer. I guess it did not. In hindsight, it would have been nice to have someone, just someone in that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think Mark's gonna have to really think about how he builds these rosters, because you know, you've got next year.
Speaker 1: We already have three freshmen. He's trying to get a four freshmen.
Speaker 2: If you were to assume you get Perry Chandler and Noah all back, then that's the seven of your of your spots are being taken up by freshman and sophomores. Whereas Auburd's out there playing twenty five year olds, right, and so.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly. I mean I don't know, I don't I don't think it's on him, you know, I mean it's this weird, fluoky things have happened, But I just I just want to see a deep, like a super deep team, you know, like some of the Patino's teams. I mean they just threw waves of guys that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but pat is a different era. Patino was a different area.
Speaker 2: You like, you can't you cannot compare Patino when guys stayed three and four years to now. Now you have to make a decision as a coach, Go get elite freshmen or go get twenty three year olds that are pretty good now, I think.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean yeah, when you get paid.
Speaker 1: The big but you can start making I agree with that, agree with it.
Speaker 11: Maybe go D two, Maybe you go europe.
Speaker 2: On going Juco, But I do think we'll see Europeans. I do think we'll see Europeans. And I appreciate the call. He also only had a month to put the team together, so you got to give him a break. He had a month and we literally had not one player. So I mean Cal, remember Cal left the weekend of the Final four and actually didn't leave leave until the day of the championship game, so you know it's not he only had a few weeks, so I give him some some some grace. But I do think, you know, this was an interesting game tonight to watch.
Speaker 1: To men.
Speaker 2: I think our starting five was not as good as Auburn, but competitive with Auburn. But when we went to the bench, it was men and boys. If we're being honest, starting five Auburn's better, but we could run with him bench men amongst boys, and so I I think we've got to think in the future, like I think teams in the two teams that have the best chance to win the national championship are Auburn and Duke. They are built on two completely different philosophies, but they are built on the peak of those two philosophies. Duke is the one and done philosophy. But they don't just have one and Dons. They have one and Dons like the first six or seven years of Cow. They've got three of the top eight picks in the draft. So you can't go get freshmen unless they're gonna be three of the top eight guys in the draft, right, So I look at our freshman next year, I think they're gonna be really good. But do we have three of the top eight guys in the draft. No, So we got to make sure to go get the second way, which is Auburn's way, which is to go get juniors and seniors that are really good and hopefully one of them is a stud like Broom. That's what we got to do now. This year, I don't know that Pope had the time to do that. He had a few weeks. But next year, that's why I'm excited for Jasper Johnson. I'm excited for Malecai Moreno, I'm excited for a Kayden Lewis. But you are not winning a title if those are three of your five best players in my opinion, So we're gonna have to go into Portal. Always gonna be one of our best players, assuming he comes back, but we're gonna have to go.
Speaker 1: Into Portal and get three or four studs.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, if we want to really compete next year, and I think we will. I think we got the Nile money. I think they'll probably get at least one European that's really good. But we have to do that, and tonight is an example why because these teams, like as soon as they switch college basketball to where everybody has five years of eligibility, they're gonna be teams like Auburn every year. And I think we need to be one of those, because I'm not sure that going and getting Cooper flags is gonna be what Pope does. So we gotta go get Johnny Burhms. Who's that, Jeremy, Jeremy ahead.
Speaker 1: Jeremy.
Speaker 12: Matt how you doing today? Appreciate taking a call. Three takeaways. I've been a Kentucky fan for forty eight out of forty eight years of my life, and three things is one we got to give Cope.
Speaker 13: I mean, you just took my thoughts.
Speaker 12: He's only been here, not even a year. We beat some behemos already. But the other thing that bothers me, he seems a bit a little little opie from Andy Griffs with this team, in the fact.
Speaker 14: That you have Lamont Butler, who has been designated as one of.
Speaker 12: The best defenders in the country, but also with the flip side with his turnovers too, and him and oh Way missing. I could have counted ten layups between the two of them today, and then with Jackson being out, you know, I just think you got to accept what we did good this year and hopefully get some luck in a tournament.
Speaker 15: Roll on.
Speaker 2: But this has been like when you say, like Opie, like what do you mean what do you want him to?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, what what is it you want him to do?
Speaker 14: It seems like the team is taken a little bit of his charisma and it kind of a sow I would say, a little bit soft spoken, a little not not as tough on the on his players as we're used to.
Speaker 2: But but you do not I mean to be honest though he's not. That's not who he is. And and I think you hit the key word as we're used to. Okay, but like, well there there there are many different ways to there are many different ways to coach a team. Okay, you've got and there's a lot of ways that can work. Danny Hurley and cal And and Bruce Pearl can scream, John Shire barely talks and his team's are really good, right, Like everybody's got it, you know, Brad Stevens went to the National Championship game back to back years and he barely said a word on the sidelines. Like everybody's got a different way.
Speaker 1: Of doing it.
Speaker 12: Matt, that's a that's a really good point. But with this team is they they lacked three things and and it seems like it comes directly from the coach to siscality issues. There is defensive especially defensively that we're not up in anybody kind.
Speaker 2: But we're not good defensively. Like I think he's I think he's coaching the team he has.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Now, look, he doesn't always get the excuse of your coaching the team you have because in today's college basketball, you build the team. I'm giving him a break this year because he only had three and a half weeks to build a team.
Speaker 1: But in general, like our guys are not good defensively.
Speaker 2: So part of the reason I talk so much about offense is I've accepted we are not going.
Speaker 1: To beat teams defensively. We're just not. These dudes are not good defensively, but we can score a lot, which is why our offense has to be crisp and efficient. And tonight, for the first thirty minutes, it was not.
Speaker 12: Man, I'll agree with you on one thing is that it looked like Auburn had definitely took away obviously, as you mentioned that kills me is that we missed so many darn lefts and bunnies at the rim. But even at the even at our best, we're not putting up the threes that we were accustomed to, especially from Mark Pope earlier in the season. I mean, who figured what out?
Speaker 2: But they well, but I mean they took it out from us. Yeah, I appreciate the call. They took it away from us, and so your job as a coach. And again, they're really good, Like they're really good. I think if they played like they did tonight, it was gonna.
Speaker 1: Be really hard for us to win no matter what.
Speaker 2: But I wish this game had been competitive, because if we're honest, it really wasn't. For I mean, we we cut it to like eight a couple times late in the first half, but we were down double digits thirty minutes of the forty minutes of the game. And so that's the part that's frustrating to me. But we have like no against great teams. Against Alabama Auburn, we have no margin of error on offense. We have to be great offensively because we're not gonna be good defensively.
Speaker 1: We have to be great.
Speaker 2: We cannot have eighteen turnovers. We cannot go four for seventeen from three, like we have to be great. We can't have oh way, you know, get have four fouls within the first three minutes the second half, Like, we just can't do that, and we did tonight, and that's why the game wasn't copetitive.
Speaker 1: Who's next to.
Speaker 3: That point, Goose said, they looked rattled on no offense, and they didn't have a clue of what to do at times.
Speaker 1: I did not, and that surprised me.
Speaker 2: This is the first time all year, even when we've played bad, I never thought we looked like like Cow's teams often did, where they just stand.
Speaker 1: Around and don't really know what to do. We did tonight.
Speaker 2: I think Auburn switched everything, but they're not the first team that's done that to us. Auburn switched everything, and we just we just couldn't. Then in the second half, we started, you know, from what I could here on the radio, it sounded like we started being better. But in the first half we could not get anything going. We try to take guys one on one, which is not this team strength, and it just fell apart the offense. You know, obviously, the six turnovers at started the second half were bad.
Speaker 1: But at the first half, even though we scored, I just.
Speaker 2: Felt like most of our points were free throws, like we just we looked discombobulated. And I was really surprised to see that who's next, Nate, Nate, go ahead and Nate.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Matt, speaking of what you're just talking about, that the one on ones were not us tonight, even with Amari bringing the ball up, and you've got poked multiple times, even stolen a couple of times. I just wanted to touch on the point of five points off the bench Al Tandler with the only field. You can't submen players to only place the party sense. They have to play some type of offense, you know, not.
Speaker 1: No, that's a very good point. You can't play no.
Speaker 2: I mean, well I'll say it. You cannot play Travis Perry and Trent Noah if they don't score.
Speaker 1: I mean you just can't.
Speaker 2: And the same thing and all the Nor's the same way, all three of those guys. You cannot play those guys if they're not scoring, because they're gonna kill you defensively, so.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to score.
Speaker 2: And Garrison has he was better defensively against against Oklahoma. But he's not a good defender either. So Colin Chandler is a decent defender. But like, you can't play those guys if they're not gonna score. So they gotta score, you know, and they gotta and and tonight they.
Speaker 13: Didn't exactly matt Man and and even to touch more on that, you know, it's just even one until go off the bench as Colin Chandler.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean he's he's the Yeah, as odd as it is to say.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate the call, as odd as it is to say, because I four weeks ago wasn't even sure Colin Chandler could play here. He in the in these games against his teams, at least has not looked scared.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not really fair. I don't think Travis Perry's looks scared too.
Speaker 2: I just don't think he can guard these guys right now. And so there's just guys look so timid. I mean, Ansley almanor Man, Like, if you're in the game, you shoot these guys who like, you know, Butler did it a couple of times Brea in the first half, Like what are we waiting on?
Speaker 1: We're not gonna get.
Speaker 2: A if you have a look from three, we are not gonna get a better shot than Braa from three.
Speaker 1: And the idea that they pump fake, it's like, shoot, that's the against a team like Auburn, that's the best we're going to get. Let's do one more and we'll take a break. Shad, what's up?
Speaker 4: It's shot?
Speaker 15: Actually all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 15: And uh yeah right uh now, Matt, I tell you, I get a big kick out a listen to you because you've got great energy and enthusiasm and you have a really good sense he humor. So I really enjoy hearing your program. And I want to compliment Mark Pope, and that is a classic guy. I think Kentucky's in great hands with him in the long term. I did want to say something though. A couple of years ago, Billy said some very uncomplimentary things about Auburn. I was wondering if maybe Billy could bring himself to say something nice today.
Speaker 2: Well, he did pick Auburn. He was the only one on the show to pick him. So Auburn, Billy, do you want to say something nice about Auburn?
Speaker 3: About Auburn?
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you say something mean a couple years ago?
Speaker 3: I don't remember that he did.
Speaker 15: And I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was it was, you know, it was really kind of mean. So I was going to give him a chance to redeem.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the call. Do you want to redeem yourself with Auburn fans?
Speaker 3: No, I don't care what Auburn fans think of me. But I mean, I've got plenty of things I need to redeem myself for.
Speaker 1: But that is not one week. So I don't know if the Auburn fans.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say this to Auburn fans if you're listening, including that guy, You guys are really good.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a really, really good team.
Speaker 2: I was sitting there thinking, you know, non Kentucky teams in the SEC in the last fifteen years, how many have been better than this Auburn team. I mean, last year's Alabama team went to the Final four, and I think they were good. But this Auburn team's better than that Alabama team.
Speaker 1: Was last year. You know, I don't know, man, when's there been an SEC team better than this Auburn team. You know, maybe Florida one of those years that year they've made the Final four.
Speaker 2: No, I mean definitely that Noah team, but that was twenty years or eighteen years ago.
Speaker 1: That Noah team was better. But like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I mean, you might have to go but if you're taking away Kentucky teams, you might have to go back to that Noah team for the last time there's been an SEC team this good that's not Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't think Florida went to the final four in.
Speaker 2: Like fourteen maybe was that where that was that team really good? Florida had one really good team in like eleven, twelve, thirteenth sports something like that. They had a really good team. One of Billy's last teams was really good. But I want to say it was fourteen maybe, But but this one probably got to go back to Noah to find one as good as I think this Auburn team is.
Speaker 1: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: Eight five, nine, two, eight to oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Be right back to the Local Toy Dealers KSR Post game Show. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It is the Local Toy Dealers KSR Post game Show. You know, sometimes Billy I can't remember like the easiest things, like people's names that I've known my whole life, and the other day, I was completely blanking on my Social Security number.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, like I mean, I know, I know, yeah, but it was like I get it confused with my phone numbers sometimes.
Speaker 2: But anyway, but then you can remember things like I was right about the twenty fourteen Florida team.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was right, that's the I was.
Speaker 1: That was the right year.
Speaker 2: It was twenty fourteen. They went thirty six and three that year and lost in the final four. They lost to Yukon. Right before we lost to Yukon, they went undefeated in the SEC. So so yeah, I was right about that the twenty fourteen Florida so that I would say this Auburn team is the best since that twenty fourteen Florida team, because that team was really good. I can't remember who they had. They had like one really really good dude. We were in the final four in Houston. We played like, well we played you no way, manu. Yeah, who did we beat in the semifinals because they lost to Yukon. Who do we beat in the semifinals in twenty fourteen?
Speaker 3: I am not sure. I was going to look up the Florida Gator run I.
Speaker 2: Met that was our run. So we beat We beat Wisconsin. That's right, so we beat we beat Wisconsin. In the final four, Aaron Harrison hit the shot. Played Yukon, who beat Florida, and that Florida team was the best team in the final four, but Yukon upset him and then of course beat us as well.
Speaker 1: All right, who's up next?
Speaker 3: Heather from Louisville.
Speaker 1: Is Heather from Louisville? How are you, Heather?
Speaker 16: I'm great?
Speaker 1: How are you good? What's up?
Speaker 16: I wanted to say, Pope. We all thought whatever, he wasn't going to be good, but you know, our team is doing great. But I also wanted to call in because I'm giving a shout out to Heather from Pike County and I am wanting her. I have already been meschanging messaging her she needs a call in and.
Speaker 1: I talked to her today. I talked to her, talked.
Speaker 16: Job and I'm very I should have also, no, I've all I should have gone with Ryan. Ryan chose Auburn and unfortunately I chose But you know what, it's been a great year and it's been exciting.
Speaker 2: And appreciate the call Heather. I talked to Heather from Pikebell She is going.
Speaker 1: To call in, not today, but before the year's out.
Speaker 2: So I think she's willing to, if not forgive Billy, at least move forward in a positive manner.
Speaker 1: So that's some good news.
Speaker 3: Hey, I've reached out and apologized and I gave her the hotline number so she can join the show.
Speaker 1: Good for you. Look at you. We're seeing growth here. You apologize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm still not letting college on three shows in a row. That's too mad, all right?
Speaker 1: Stand by Tennessee and Alabama. It's a four point game.
Speaker 2: Very cool, but dig Byte part of the broadcasting crews getting the standing of ovation as we as we talk right now, I'm glad. I don't know if he'll do another year, but I'm glad he's getting to do these uh these runs. Wish he could have come to RUP for one of them, but uh uh. Hopefully we'll be back next year. But it's even if he's not, it's very cool that he's getting to do uh this year.
Speaker 1: Who's next?
Speaker 3: I haven't heard from him in a while. Bob and Jamestown is up next.
Speaker 2: Bob and Jamestown, How were you a five nine eighty seven?
Speaker 4: ABCTV dropped the ball not only UK. I mean, I can't believe it. Here they have a blockbuster game. We got the you know, number one team and the SEC coming in there.
Speaker 1: And then they did well, to be fair to them, they had a fire.
Speaker 2: There was a fire out in there outside of their production truck and it and it like burned the power off. So in some respect, I mean, it is a mistake, but like, I don't really know what you wanted them to do after that.
Speaker 4: I thought maybe the ice cream machine broke that or somebody.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this is why this.
Speaker 4: Is I finish, since I'll burn thirty seven years since they've had a UK win. I gets they're a basketball school now anyway, this year anyway. But and then another thing.
Speaker 9: About the ABC at halftime, they said I.
Speaker 4: Had a thing up their Arkansas issues, but they may never addressed it.
Speaker 11: What's going on with Arkansas?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I appreciate the call about thank you very much. Uh what you I mean? I'm being nice?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, it's yeah, it's I mean, we lost by a lot. I'm stay in good mood.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm gonna go eat dinner when this is over, and it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Who's next Jean is nice. Jean. What's up? John?
Speaker 4: Hey Man?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 15: Man?
Speaker 1: Doing good? How are you?
Speaker 4: Thank thanks for taking call. I'm doing good too.
Speaker 11: Listen.
Speaker 7: I'm from LBL and I've been reading online these people that keep saying all this stuff about the Kentucky Boys, Trenton Now and Travis Perry. They keep on saying that they they're awful, and they don't deserve to play or even be on the team, and that there.
Speaker 17: They've been a waste of scholarship spots.
Speaker 4: And in my.
Speaker 7: Opinion, there's nothing like the Mountain Mamba and the Lion Keam getting on that court and living out their dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they do have to score more than one point. I mean, I I I if those guys and then listen. They've had some good games this year. Noah had a great game against Tennessee. I think Perry has gotten better's years going on. But I, you know, love those guys watched I've watched Travis Perry since he was in eighth grade, and uh Noah's from right next to my hometown, so I pull for him.
Speaker 1: With that said, I don't care where they're from.
Speaker 2: I don't care if they live in uh in reperina. If they're gonna play here long term, they have to produce. That's true of every player. That's true of every player. So I think when you take up for those kids, which we should, we all want them to succeed, but we also have to grade them on the scale of UK players. And while I think they've improved a lot, and while I think they both really do have a chance to play here and be successful, we can't just I mean, they scored one point. We can't just be like, oh, well, they're from Kentucky so it's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I Mean the thing is, do you think they're gonna develop at all?
Speaker 7: Because I mean when they were playing in high school, they're just playing against you know, future Walmart employees.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I appreciate the ball.
Speaker 2: I do think that they can I think they both can play here. Do I think either of them can be I don't know what their peak is. I do think both of them can be quality rotation guys here. I think the situation has probably forced both of them to have to play, especially Perry, maybe more than he is ready to at this point. But at the same time, look, this is Kentucky, right, Like, there's no if you want to play here, you gotta be really good.
Speaker 1: And that's my thing.
Speaker 2: Over the years I've been doing this fifteen years, I've been getting phone calls about whoever the Kentucky kid is on the team playing more and then I get messages weekly about some kid that lives in Kentucky that people go, why won't they recruit them? And my answer has always been the same, which is, they gotta be good enough to play here. Okay, so we've had some. Derek Willis was good enough, but Dominice Hawkins was good enough. To remember, those dudes were for the most part, always in a reserve role. Always Willis, I think started a little bit towards the end, but they were always in a reserve role. So we got like, that may be what Noah and Perry are. Maybe they end up starters, but like there will come a point where we will ask them to score more than one point in a game.
Speaker 3: Who's next future Walmart workers was a little harsh too.
Speaker 2: I think that dude was kind of being a joke, but I you know, but the point he's saying is one that I do think people, uh.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody wants them to succeed. Everybody nobody more than me.
Speaker 3: Who's net Tyler?
Speaker 2: And they're both great kids, by the way, both of them. Tyler, go ahead, Tyler.
Speaker 8: Matt, It's good to talk to you again. Uh, I have we gotta be honest with ourselves though, after that guy banked in the two threes, I feel like we all knew that it wasn't ninth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Susan, So the first one was bad enough. When the second went banked in, I said this, and it ain't gonna happen tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And I started watching Kentucky basketball when Cal got here, and I was really not old enough to remember a team until probably the twenty fourteen team, And so I'm very spoiled when it comes to March runs. But man, I'm with Robinson out it's looking like we're gonna have to wait probably at least one more year for a March run.
Speaker 1: But why do you say that?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean maybe, but there are teams every year in March that make a run that aren't very good. You think n C State was really good last year? I mean, inn C State had to bank in a three to even get to the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament. And then I ain't ed up going to the final four. So once we get to the tournament, anything can happen. And I genuinely do believe that. Now, do I think like we're really good without Robinson?
Speaker 1: Probably not? But could we still win? Yeah?
Speaker 2: If NC State went to the final four when they almost lost in the first round of the a SEC tournament, then yeah, we can make a run.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm all for being positive and say and I'm not saying that we can't, but I just to me, if we're not gonna have our guys shooting threes like they need to be doing, if our defense is gonna be as bad as it is, and if our rebounding is gonna be as bad as it is, I'm just you know, you can say in C State and there's always one team every year that makes it farther.
Speaker 11: Than they're supposed to.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the past couple of years we've been ultra talented and haven't done anything.
Speaker 2: So maybe if you give me a couple of teams, can you give me a couple who made the final four two years ago?
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first time you call? Do you remember the other teams that.
Speaker 8: Were in the final four in twenty eleven?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, the two teams that's not two years ago when you came on the championship two years ago.
Speaker 1: Who else made the final four that.
Speaker 8: Year two years ago? Yeah, you got me.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The other teams were Miami, Florida Atlantic and San Diego State, a San Diego Step State, teams whose point guard was a guy named Lamont Butler. So my point is, I'm not saying we should be like confident that that we're gonna make a run, but we can we can't, and so like that's why, and I appreciate the call. I don't think you judge how good a team is as a team by their March run, because you can get unlucky, you can get lucky. You judge a coach over a period of time. But I'm not giving up on this year yet. We've played in the hardest conference probably ever. We've had a lot of injuries. Unfortunately, now we're losing Robinson, so I think our upside is not as high as it would have been with him.
Speaker 1: But let's say we're a four seed. Let's say our one seed is well for a four seed. Our one seed is probably Duke.
Speaker 2: So let's say we get to a three seed and our two seed is Michigan State or Iowa State, Saint John's. You don't think we could win that game. Now, we could lose it. Heck, we could lose in the first round, but you don't.
Speaker 1: Think we could win that game. And then when we get to the.
Speaker 2: Elite eight, maybe we have Duke, but maybe they get beat before then. Like you just never know. And that's what makes March great. But we've been upset a lot where we were better than the other team. We were better than Oakland, we were better than Saint Peter's, we're better than Kansas State.
Speaker 1: That one year we'll get one at some point, hopefully it's this year. Let's do one more and then we'll take a break.
Speaker 3: Who's next, stub Stub?
Speaker 1: What's up.
Speaker 4: A mat?
Speaker 18: So my buddies and I were texting, and I'm gonna give him the credit for this because they'll listen to that Lamont Butler call. So this is getting out of control. He was making a basketball play. It's that that was not a foul.
Speaker 2: But that's the rule. That's the rule. You hit somebody in the face, it's a flagrant. Whether I like that rule or God, that's the rule. And I don't like that rule because you're exactly right. But but when you go up for a shot and with the offhand you hit the other guy in the face, they're gonna call that.
Speaker 18: I don't know if you played for Bell Cown or Middlesborough, wherever you played, getting if you got beat getting your face in the way after you're beaten is not a foul, much less a flagrant fail.
Speaker 2: It is now in college basketball. If you hit a person in the face, it is a foul if you if you make an intentional movement and it hits a person in the even if you didn't mean to, it.
Speaker 1: Is a fact. That's the rule. I don't like it. I think it's a bad rule, but it is the rule.
Speaker 18: But here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: Well and me and like the little shot about I don't know if you played at bell County or Middlesborough has nothing to do with what the rule is.
Speaker 18: No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying like you. I was saying, like you experienced playing and playing defense and all that. That's what I was saying. But if it's a flagrant feil, you should be able to see it in real time.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with that, but that's a judgment, and I appreciate the call. That's a judgment on the ref Like to me, Joe Lindsay, you're standing right there, like if you didn't even see him.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how they ended up with the monitor. That was my thing, Billy. If he didn't think it was a foul, how did he end up at the monitor.
Speaker 2: You know, like if he called a foul and then he might go, well, let's go see how bad it is.
Speaker 1: You didn't even call a foul and then you went to the monitor. I don't get that.
Speaker 2: And if I was Bruce Pearl, I'd be livid at the fact that you called a foul.
Speaker 1: And Brandon Garrison went to the monitor and then added a.
Speaker 3: Foul on broom he was.
Speaker 1: I think he shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Furious, Like, that's not what the monitor. The monitor reviews are supposed to be for like a couple of things, and they've become this crutch that has led referees to just look at it all the time, and that is like, that's terrible for the game.
Speaker 3: And I think they went late and the monitor wasn't even working when they dried.
Speaker 2: Well that's right when the power went out. They didn't have a monitor yeah, which is good. I mean when the ABC power went out, they didn't have a way to get replaced, and guess what they were able to call the end of the game. Of all those monitor reviews, to me, the only one that should be a monitor review, I said, I don't know if any of them should have been the goaltending they got it right? When don't they have to go look at it right? The garrison foul, even though we ended up winning. That just call a foul, and if you get it wrong, we're gonna criticize you.
Speaker 1: That's what we do with referees, right.
Speaker 2: The Butler thing, if you didn't see it in real time, that you didn't even think there was contact, then why did you go to the monitor? That just and then the whole thing about like we won't look on a goaltending until after the next mark. They stop it all the time, Billy, Why did they wait until then?
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's happened several times this year, and it's.
Speaker 2: Terrible because, if let's say it hadn't been a goaltending, we got that rebound and we would have lost the points even though we got the rebound.
Speaker 1: So I just I hate that rule.
Speaker 2: It's the college basketball these some of these rules just don't make any sense to me. Let's take a break A five nine twenty two eighty seven. We'll come back for the final segment. It's a local Toyter Dealers KSR Post Gape show. Welcome back, take E Sports Radio A five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 1: We got five people on, Billy? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Six?
Speaker 1: But six?
Speaker 2: We'll do all six and we'll go through here and then we're going a little long today. But that's all right. Saturday still nice outside, even though we lost. I want to have a tweet. There a text somebody sent the text machine. I do want to respond to Billy. It says, I'd like to commend Billy on standing his ground this week. I have an appreciation for people that say what they mean and mean what they say. All right, so, Billy, you know me pretty well. What do you think my reaction is going to be to that text?
Speaker 3: I think in in certain situations, it's good to stand up for yourself, but you should also have humility at times.
Speaker 1: That's close to I was gonna say, yeah.
Speaker 2: So like Billy messed up, So when you mess up when you mess up, but he didn't do it intentionally, Like he didn't do it to hurt anybody. So when you mess up unintentionally, there's nothing wrong with apologizing. Probably my most frustrating thing that has happened in our culture outside of like you know, some of the political stuff and all that that bothers me, is this, like, all of a sudden, how it's become like a really cool thing.
Speaker 1: To never apologize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I just say it and like stop it. You should be able to change your mind and you should be able to say you're sorry. There's like a philosopher Billy that says, why did I change my mind? When I get new information, I reconsider what do you do? It's a really good line, right, Like, you shouldn't be so set in your beliefs that nothing could ever change your mind. If you do, then you're just like a you're.
Speaker 1: Just a sheep.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in your perspective can change over time.
Speaker 2: Everything changes. Chances are, I don't care who you are out there. You don't think the same thing you did five years ago. So if that's true, then you shouldn't be wedded to what you think the day before, because if you can.
Speaker 1: So when you mess up, nobody messes up more than me.
Speaker 2: I apologize more than anybody. So one of the things that frustrates me about Billy is that sometimes he won't apologize. But see he's growing because he he did today.
Speaker 1: That's good. So I actually would say to you, you should.
Speaker 2: There are many things to come in Billy about, but not apologizing.
Speaker 1: It should not be one of those. Okay, who's next? Fox? Is next? Did you say box?
Speaker 3: Fox?
Speaker 1: Fox? Okay, go ahead Fox.
Speaker 19: Hey Matt, do you think the news that Jackson Robinson was broke last night disflated the team?
Speaker 1: By uh No, they knew. They knew. I found out last night.
Speaker 19: I see the pregame show pep Talk and the energy they had in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that, but remember I mean it's a long pep talk. ESPN showed six seconds, right, so I mean, like, you don't really know necessarily that you saw the whole thing. But they I think they knew very quickly after the Oklahoma game. I mean I didn't find out untill last night, so so like I put it out last night and a lot of fans right it last night, But I think the team knew that before, and honestly, the team probably knew that Robinson was was you know, I think Pope said today that they knew two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: He needed surgery, but he was just gonna try to make it.
Speaker 2: Work, and so the team knew that, I'm sure, And I got to give the kid a lot of credit, Like, you know, I mean, he's gonna go be a pro, and probably playing in that Oklahoma game and trying to come back is going to make his recovery process take longer, which will hurt his draft slash, you know, NBA static. So for him to want to do that, I actually, uh got to give him a lot of credit, you know what I mean?
Speaker 19: Yeah, Yeah, I was just wondering how, you know, just the you know, how the team was gonna with their energy level thinking knowing he wasn't gonna come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: I mean, if that is an issue, we'll probably see it next Tuesday against LSU. Right, you know, they didn't I didn't great energy, but I also didn't really think it was the energy thing.
Speaker 1: I just I mean, they just he just didn't play. Well. Who's next?
Speaker 3: Gabriel?
Speaker 1: Gabriel? What's up Gabriel five more. Don't have two questions.
Speaker 19: The first one is, say Jackson Robinson out for the season, do you think Kobe brad has a step up in that position?
Speaker 2: Without question? I mean Kobe Bray, what he scored tonight, he had what eighteen something like that, twenty one twenty one, So I don't know if he has scored twenty one every game, but he's got to score like sixteen or seventeen for us to be good teams.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: With Jackson Robinson out, two things have to happen. Kobe Bray has got to like score, he can't have games off. And then one of the freshmen between Noah and Perry and Chandler, every game, at least one of them's got to play well, like especially either Perry or Chandler because that's their position, Like we can't have they can't just both be unplayable. Because as much as I like these guys playing a lot, Bray had to play thirty eight minutes. You need a little break. So so yeah, definitely Kobe Bray is gonna be the one that has to step.
Speaker 1: Up the most.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I figured.
Speaker 12: And the second one is I forgot feeling.
Speaker 17: What do you think are our ceiling is for the tournament?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 1: Since Robinson's out, appreciate the cal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again, I don't go by round because anything can happen, but I would.
Speaker 1: Say this is a.
Speaker 2: You know, this is probably we're probably gonna go into the tournament. I'm gonna guess we're gonna be a four seed. That's what I'm gonna guess we're gonna end up. And if we do, then I think we win our first game, and then I think we'll play a five seed who will probably be just as good as we are, and it'll be a toss up, and you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: And then after that it's all about your match up and who you play and et cetera.
Speaker 2: So so we'll see the reality is, if we're a four seed, it's almost certain to me, our one seed is gonna be Duke, because I think the SEC is gonna have three one seeds and they're not gonna want to put us with them.
Speaker 1: So if we're a four seed like Billy.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be in Duke's region, you know, whereas if we're a three.
Speaker 1: Seed, they might then we might avoid Duke.
Speaker 2: So, but if we're a four seed, our Sweet sixteen opponent would be Duke.
Speaker 3: I think that's they're a four seed if they lose to Missouri. So how it boils down to them? LSU?
Speaker 2: I think if we let's assume we beat LSU beat Missouri, we're three. If we don't beat Missouri, then we're kind of hovering on the three. Four.
Speaker 1: I think we end up before because the committee will go, well.
Speaker 2: They don't have Jackson Robinson, and you know that's what I how I would see it, or to put it a different way, We're gonna play at Missouri and then we're probably gonna play if we win our first round game Auburn in the quarter files the SEC tournament. If we want to be a three C billy, we got to win one of those two games. I think at Missouri will be easier than be Yeah, so to win one of those two games were three lose, one lose them both were four lose to LSU, were probably five.
Speaker 1: Who's next? Cam, Cam, Go ahead, cam.
Speaker 4: What's going on? Guys?
Speaker 20: First of all, really really disappointed to hear about Jackson Robinson. Man, But as you were saying, mad as a listening uh, you know North Sulina State can make a run like they did last year. You know, anything crazy can happen in March for us this year, good and bad.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Remember Auburn team, by the way, as good as this Auburn team is. And they picked up a couple of players. They have a lot of similar players from last year. Do you remember what Auburn did in the tournament last year? They lost the first round to Yale. They lost the Yale So you know, the tournament's weird, man, no matter.
Speaker 20: What it is, it is. I was watching the game with my wife and she's watched about three or four games with me this year, and she said, man, we look real scared today, real timid. And I was like, you look, you're right. And she also said, why are we starting with the ball so far away from the basket. We were playing so timid and our screen looked soft. We weren't trying to, you know, initiate the offense, you know, in a respectable place. Man, would you look very uncomfortable today playing at home? And I was really disappointed overall in the effort.
Speaker 2: Well, your wife, I think it was right. I appreciate the call. I can I think she we appreciate the call. I think she we did. I mean a lot of that's credit to Auburn. They pushed us out and uh, and you know they were willing, They were basically willing to have us get beat back door or to beat them back door, and h you know we weren't able to do it. Tennessee just banked in a three. Does it feel like there's more banked in threes.
Speaker 1: Now than I can ever remember?
Speaker 2: Tennessee just banked in a three and they've tied the game against Alabama. It's a good game here going on right now. Six minutes ago, we got three left.
Speaker 1: Who's next?
Speaker 3: Kinky?
Speaker 1: Kinky? How are you kinky?
Speaker 11: I'm doing all right, Matt, first time, very long time.
Speaker 1: Who are what makes you kinky?
Speaker 11: It's a college fraternity nickname? I mean, you know, do you want to tell.
Speaker 1: Us how you got that nickname?
Speaker 2: Or is there a way to tell it on the public airwaves?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 11: I can tell it, but it's not nearly as interesting.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: If it's not as interesting, then I still want to hear what it is.
Speaker 15: Oh.
Speaker 11: I was on fraternity walk out in nineteen eighty five and one of my older fraternity brothers came back in from a night at drinking and it's just my my real name is Ken and he's like, hey, k Kinky, and it's like that was my fratournity, didn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're very different than what I thought.
Speaker 2: So you're what So you were in a fraternity at nineteen eighty five, so that means you were you're like, what fifty seven years old something like that. And you do you do you introduce yourself as Kinky?
Speaker 11: Well to my friends and to people who are at my age level, but not to my students.
Speaker 1: Students. Okay, oh yeah, you don't do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: As your lawyer, I'm going to tell you not to do that. All right, Well live what do you got, Kinky?
Speaker 11: Well, thank you, counselor Oh, I would just say there are some things about this team that frustrate me, Like I've especially been disappointed in our live ball turnovers, which haven't seemed to improve as the season goes on. But maybe that's just who we are, right, yes, and so, but like Pope killed to the team from scratch in April, leads the country in top ten wins, has battled injuries all season long, and is still in line to get a four seater better. So all these people who are thinking they know better than him and can it just makes me chuckle a little bit. And if he was able to do that this year, I'm so confident in what he can do going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't get and I appreciate the call. I don't understand the people who look at whatever the results are this year, however we end up and think that they can somehow, like definitively glean that he's not gonna be good here.
Speaker 1: And I don't think there's many people that say that, but I.
Speaker 2: Do think there's a handful, and I don't I don't understand how they can even think that, because he put a team together in three and a half weeks.
Speaker 1: As he reminded on.
Speaker 2: The postgame show, they're four and three against teams that are ranked in the top five right now in the in the so far this season.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 2: You know, he's dealt with basically four of our five players or four of our top seven players have been significant hurt during the course of the year.
Speaker 1: So I don't really.
Speaker 2: Know, you know, now, would you can I say, like definitively he's gonna be great here. I don't think you could say that either, But I definitely don't think anything has. I mean, look at the other new coaches. Okay, you know Cal, we know what's happening there. The guy Michigan, Dusty May is doing well, but it's similar to us. Pat Kelsey's doing well, but it's similar to us. They just have an easier schedule. We beat them. So like all these new coaches around the country are kind of doing as good, or like Pope is doing as well or better than all of them.
Speaker 1: So why would people be negative. We had no players when he got here. None.
Speaker 2: That's that was always the bargain with Cal. Here's the thing about Cal. I said this ten years ago. The day Cal leaves, you have to start over. When you hire Caliperry, you get it's a bargain. The first bargain is he'll make you good quick because he'll just bring in all.
Speaker 1: These new guys.
Speaker 2: But the counter to that is when he leaves, you have to start over. You Mass did, Memphis did, Kentucky's now is and one day Arkansas will so. Like if you had told me in twenty fifteen, the year after Cal leaves, Kentucky's going to be a four seed in the NCAA tournament that next year. Billy I would have signed up for that in a minute.
Speaker 3: And they swept Tennessee. They beat Duke, You beat Louisville.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zaga beat Gonzaga.
Speaker 2: Now, if I were to look back and go, what am I disappointed in? We should have beaten Arkansas, Probably should have beaten Texas, you know, Georgia, but maybe Georgia. But like I am, in general, I think this has been a positive thing. And people who give up on Pope, I just I don't get that at all. Those are just people, though he want to be negative.
Speaker 3: Two more, Who's next, Benjamin?
Speaker 1: Benjamin?
Speaker 17: Go ahead, hey man, how are you doing?
Speaker 11: Thirty?
Speaker 1: Doing good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So, I don't know about how other people feel about this, but I am sick and tired of listening to Jay Billis cale Kentucky basketball games. I mean, I don't know what intellect Albert Einstein's genius level person decided to let a Duke basketball player former obviously call a Kentucky basketball I mean.
Speaker 2: Jay Billis doesn't hate Jay Billis doesn't hate Kentucky. I mean his j Billis's nephew, was the student body president at Kentucky.
Speaker 7: Well, I was unfamiliar with that. I'll I'll admit my ignorance there, but sometimes it gets a little annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I get if you don't like Ja Billis as a as an announcer. I appreciate the call. I mean a lot of everybody's got different things they like. But I don't think Jay Billison. I mean, the only thing I don't like about Jay Bills doing our games is that we have to watch you eat ice cream every time. Like that's only because I actually think he does a good job. I mean, he's he's a little bit he's a little bit curmudgeonly. The older he gets like some of the joy he had early in his career. Now he's always complaining about things. But I in general, Billy, I think amongst the college basketball.
Speaker 1: Announcers, he's one of the better ones that there is.
Speaker 3: Sure I'd say so, And wait till Benjamin finds out that a Duke grad's hosting this radio show right now.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point. That's right.
Speaker 2: I went to do too, is that maybe it's either his nephew was student body president or his niece married the guy who was student body president.
Speaker 1: His niece or nephew went to UK and someone was the student Bundy president. I can't remember which one it was.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was the spouse or him, but that was during like the the John Wall, you know, or maybe Anthony.
Speaker 1: Davis years one more.
Speaker 3: Who's next, Johnny, Johnny, go ahead, Johnny, hey.
Speaker 17: Man, this is my fourth postgame show in a row. Got a body billy being not to the women.
Speaker 2: The show without getting crushed, and then Johnny gets him right.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 17: A couple of days here, Almanor came in. Looked like he was shooting a block of cheese. Whenever he shout that, I mean, it was rough.
Speaker 1: That was rough. It was so pope.
Speaker 17: He put emphasis on the SEC tournament whenever he was first tired. Do you think that he has a lot more pressure this year?
Speaker 1: There's pressure.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, okay, so first of all, he suggested even tonight, he was like, we're gonna get to Nashville and it's gonna be explosive. Like so he's not he's not acting like it doesn't matter when you say pressure. Okay, let's say we're the eight seed, right, first game we play Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: Is there pressure to win that one? Yeah? Maybe?
Speaker 2: But I mean, let's say we play Auburn in the quarterfinals, Like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, I.
Speaker 17: Mean, hopefully more than we did tonight.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, I agree, hopefully more than we did tonight. I appreciate the call. I mean, you know, it's you can only do so much. I still think that there's a world that we can.
Speaker 1: Beat Auburn in a game, even though I think Auburn's really.
Speaker 2: Good, because I do think we actually defensively have a shot at guarding them. You saw it in Spurts tonight. But then, I mean, you gotta be locked in. You gotta be locked in, and then you can't like one of their guys can't make nine threes. You know, we actually played Broom pretty well, but a dude made nine threes, so you know, But do I think we'll beat them?
Speaker 1: No? But I also I don't think we're sixteen points worse than them.
Speaker 2: But tonight we were. Thank you folks very much for listening. Let's go over some scheduling, so Monday I'll be in studio doing the show. First of all, Kentucky women play tomorrow at South Carolina, So I don't think you know, they got a good chance to finish the regular season. Their SEC tournament is next week Monday, we're in studio, Tuesday will be at KS Bar.
Speaker 1: Kentucky plays Tuesday.
Speaker 2: The pregame show will be at four thirty Wednesday and Thursday at Kosbar, and then Friday we will be in Louisville at Cornbread Hill. But I do not believe, Billy, that's not open to the public, right or is it.
Speaker 3: I'll have to double check.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I want to let you know on that one, but we are. We're in Louisville.
Speaker 2: Cats take a unfortunate defeat at home tonight to Auburn. Two more games left in the regular season. And by the way, it's March now best month of the year for sports. We will see you later. This has been the local Toyota Dealers KSR post gamp show.
Speaker 16: Assass