Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contains spoilers from Moonnight episode five, as well as theories for Doctor Stranger of the Multiverse of Madness, as well as some plot points from various comic book runs. Check the show notes to see which ones that we potentially spoil for you. If you don't want to be spoiled by any of that stuff, read the stuff, watch the stuff first, then come back. Hello, I name, It's Jason Concepcion. Welcome to Expert Vision The Crooked podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. In today's action packed episode. In the previously on, we will talk about lots of news that is hitting the internet waves this week, including some interesting news from the MCU out of CinemaCon. In the Airlock, our good friend Cody Ziggler joins us once again to talk about comics, talk about comics in general, what we're reading, and also get together and kind of help us brainstorm a reading list of comics for Doctor Stranger of the Multiverse of Madness. In our nerd out, our listener tells us about Star Kid productions, and of course, if you want to jump around, check out the chime stamps. In the show notes. Joining me right now is the Walking Comics genius, the writer of a Godzilla comic coming out soon, one of the best to ever do it. It's Rosie night, Rosie. How are you hello?
Speaker 2: I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 1: How are you doing good? Let's get into it first up and previously on shocking news Batman sequel greenlit I Can't Believe, with director Matt Reeves and star Robert Pattinson returna of Course. This announcement has been made at Simmacon, the ongoing convention of upcoming movie properties that is going on in Las Vegas right now. The movie, of Course, has been a critical and commercial success, having made the over seven hundred million dollars on the trot right now. No surprises here, right, Rosie, No surprises here, No especially.
Speaker 2: I think it was very well received from all different kinds of people. People who love these movies, people who don't love them, people who love certain iterations of the DCU, people who love different ones. It was widely enjoyed, widely beloved. Robert was great, Matt did a great job, and they, obviously spoiler alert introduced a very big famous Batman antagonist. So I think this was always meant to happen, and then the critical and commercial love for it makes it easy to happen. I'm excited see what happens next. I thought that movie was so great.
Speaker 1: Does Robert Pattins's Batman become like the Batman in a shared DC universe or what do they do?
Speaker 2: I think Reeve's universe acts as a year one, year two, zero year.
Speaker 1: Ish soft reboot.
Speaker 2: I think that in the major DCEU stuff that we still have going on, like for example, the Flash, which we know we'll probably introduce a new Justice League and kind of mainline characters, I think they're going to be looking for something a little bit different, a little bit younger. Also, with a Keaton returning, you could have someone like that as your main Batman who's more of a Batman Beyond, like era of Bruce, rather than being the actual Batman Beyond. But so I don't know. I think Matt's vision is so specific and unique, and I think they'll let them have a couple more movies before it becomes too entangled with the wider DCEU.
Speaker 1: Next up, Kevin Faige is representing Marvel of course at Sinemacon, and there's some interesting news out of there. First of all, Figi told the audience that directly after the convention he's going to a Marvel Studio's creative retreat where they will work on the next decade of MCU work. This mirrors the famed Marvel retreats that have been going on at least since the two thousands in Marvel Comics Universe. No surprise here, right, this is just kind of what you ca Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's really interesting. I think we can guess the big hitters that they're going to be talking about. How do you bring in the Fantastic Four, how do you bring in the X Men, who's going to be the next Avengers team. What I'm very interested in is in the original iteration of the MCU, there was a story group that included comic book creators. Yeah, and that has since been, to our knowledge, kind of disbanded. And I wonder if they're doing a retreat, we're going to see some kind of story group re enlisted, whether it's comic book creators or people from the Marvel TV shows or a wider group of people. Because usually if you're having a retreat, that's a brainstorming session to break this stuff out. I think that means we could probably be getting a Marvel likes to do those big days. They used to do them at the Al Capitan, Whew, they announced them. Now they do them as these kind of Disney preview days where they tease stuff. I think we could be get in one of those in the next few months if this retreat is happening.
Speaker 1: Some footage was apparently showed to the gathered throngs of Sizzle, real footage that has been described as it's unclear if it's like a still or a few seconds of video, but it's been described as Nakia, Shuri and Okoye involved in some kind of big battle, So that is very exciting. Marvel Studio's president, Kevin Faigie also promised that Ryan Cooler is working very hard on the sequel. No no surprise there. And of course around this movie, there have been rumors swirling for a while that we will we will be introduced to some Marvel comics mainstays, probably Liner among them is nay More, the leader of Atlantis, King of Atlantis, and then of course Rary Williams, the genius of the Marvel universe, also known as Ironheart, who will also be appearing her own Disney Plus series these are. That's unconfirmed, but that's stuff people have been talking about for a while, much in the same way that they were talking about the Illuminati for months and months and months before. It was very hard confirmed by the recent Doctor Strange trailer and speaking of Doctor Strange, Doctor Strange band in Saudi Arabia over Disney's decision to not cut about twelve seconds apparently this is reported by the Guardian twelve seconds from the film that Deal with America Chavez played by the actor so Shiel Gomez, in which America is discussing her two moms. So, I guess shouts to Disney for deciding not to cut. That not a big deal.
Speaker 2: So that's probably the only gay thing in the movie, So prepare yourself. If that was what they asked to be cut, that's probably the extension.
Speaker 1: I think we will all probably be surprised at how mild it is. And that is Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: It makes sense with her comic book canon, she has Quinn Mom's utopian parallels very gay, so it's nice to know that they're sticking to that. Yeah, I'm intrigued. Good to see little things like refusing the cut like this I hope there's something more, but we shall see.
Speaker 1: And then finally new Doctor Strange trailer, probably the last New Doctor Strange stuff we're going to see, considering the movie comes out May sixth, and you know, it's a mishmash of cuts that we've already seen. But the important thing is we hear the word Illuminati spoken in this by Baron Morto, leading us to question a lot of things, including like, man, how did Morto get get his like ticket punched to club Illuminati before Steven Strange? Very interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, is it our universe? Is Mordo? Is this a Mordo who was the Soorcers Supreme in a different universe? Is this a Mordo who has been enlisted by the Illuminati because for some reason they couldn't trust Strange and they needed someone to kind of be a counterpart. Is it a Baron Mordo who they need him to have more of that complex gray moral compass. Yeah, to do things that maybe Stephen wouldn't do. It's very interesting, and I think it is. I can't work out if it's a massive reveal or a massive mysdirect that they mention it. I'm like, what does this mean? For the Illuminati. Are they going to be a key part? Is this? Do they know people are excited? I it was. It got me excited.
Speaker 1: So what I am extremely excited and my my gut feeling tells me that they're going to be like one scene and that's right. You know it's gonna be like the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as soon as they said the name, I was like, that feels like we're going to see them for maybe one scene, but I'll be happy.
Speaker 3: With the ones.
Speaker 1: I will be very very happy. Listen, if we see Patrick Stewart in that little shiny head of his as Charles Xavier up on that little Illuminati stage, I will be very very excited. Okay, dude.
Speaker 2: The way that people responded in the theater when like, you know, we saw Charlie Cox as Daredevil or we saw you know, the Spider Man come back, there's no like if it's gonna be Charles, that's gonna be ten thousand times louder in that theater and I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: It's gonna go absolutely crazy. Okay, and by the way, stay tuned X Revision for more Doctor Strange to the Multiverse Menace coverage. Okay, let's recap Moonnight, Episode five Asylum, directed by Mohammed Diab, written by Rebecca Kersh and Matthew Orton. This was a just in terms of like performances. This is a tour de force for Oscar Isaac. We pick up right at the end of episode four, where Mark and Stephen On themselves face to face with the Egyptian god Tarowett, a hippo deity. The hippodity having said oh hi to the two men Stephen and Mark, who are of course the same band, leading them to scream, leading the hippo to scream, and we pick up right after that only Mark is back in Arthur Harrow's office, and right before that we have these little flashes of what we take to be like memories. Right we have a child screaming in a dark place somewhere. We hear a woman saying this is all your fault. And then Mark finds himself back in Arthur's office. Arthur mentions and Mark, You're in a mental hospital in Chicago and your mind, your reason, your hero is because your mind keeps whips on between these disconnected fantasies that you have created or to deal with some kind of trauma. Let's get to the center of what that trauma is, Mark, You're ready, And Mark's like, I don't know, because I don't believe that you're a real doctor. I think you're Arthur Harrow, the genocidalmaniac who's trying to wake Amet. Arthur asks Mark to like, okay, so how did you get here? Do you remember that? And Mark admits, which I think is a big step for him, that you listen, things are happening that are completely nonsensical and I don't necessarily know how to put all the pieces together. Arthur wants Mark to talk more about the little boy that he was apparently mentioning before we pick up the scene and before the hippo character diverted him. Mark grows violent. He like tries to fight with some orderlies. The orderlies managed to stick a needle in his neck, and next thing you know, he's back in front of Taroette with Stephen, and Tarowett asks Steven and Mark, you know, it's like, Mark, al is this intense? Tarowit then tells the two guess what, surprise, You're dead. Both of you our dead. This is now a second real like interaction with people in a post life plane. The ancestry plane from Black Panther being the first time, but this is like our first extended time since then at in a world that is post life, leading to a question of like, when do we see someone? When do we see someone resurrected? Because it's going to happen. I mean, it arguably is going to happen right here, but I wonder if it happens with a major character at some point. Rosie. Of course, like our character, our friends in these stories have died and come back many many times in the comics, I wonder when it happens in the main movies.
Speaker 2: I think we're close to it, and I think that this episode specifically leans into that because, as we'll get to in a bit, we meet Mark's brother and the version that we see of him here is very different. But in the comics, that is a character who has died and been resurrected, and the idea of resurrection and the kind of shadow of it over this episode is really there. So I think that could be something we see in Doctor Strange. We've seen versions of it and what if with the zombies. So yeah, it feels like they're bringing in these multiple levels of existent some past life in a way that's going to play into the future of the MCU.
Speaker 1: Tarott then welcomes them to do at this place where souls begin their journey to the afterlife. It is one of many places such places, Tarrowett mentions, much like the ancestral plane, and the reason they perceive this place as a mental hospital is because their minds, their human minds can't possibly make sense of where they are the shades of Shades of Harry Potter book seven, but like you can't possibly understand where they are. Therefore they're making it into a place that makes sense to them. Thus the hospital Mark then is like, I can't deal with this. I'm gonna I'm out of here. He throws open a pair of doors, and he finds himself on the deck of this huge ship that is sailing across the sands of the underworld, and they're on their way to ru which is like the eternal paradise field of reeds. Tarawett says. She reaches into their chests and pulls out these little ivory hearts stone hearts, which she will then weigh in order to see if they're balanced, if the things that they've done throughout their lives have led to their deeds being balanced, and thus they are able to be admitted into the Field of Reeds. And if they're not found worthy, no big deal. They're just thrown over the side into the sands where they are like torn apart by the other unworthy souls who lurk there in the underworld. So not a big deal. But here's a problem. The hearts that Tarawet removed because they're from one person who has been split somehow, broken somehow, they're not whole, and thus Stephen and Mark can't get into the underworld. Steven and Mark need to reunite their fractured pieces of soul, pieces of heart, and balance the scales before they arrive at the Field of Reeds. Quick note, this little line from Tarawt was a rate. Okay, here's the mission for the rest of the episode, like it's it's like it was a great here's what they're doing line. If they fail again, no big deal, their souls will just simply be destroyed. Good news. Everything that they have ever experienced is on the ship, all their memories are on their ship. So it's time to go back inside this faux mental hospital and just like learn about each other. Mark is very resistant. He doesn't want to do this. He and Stephen are discussing it, and Steven's like, no, I think we should do this is a good idea, Like we need to find out like with the secrets that you're hiding are, with the secrets you buried are And Mark is like, I don't know what if we like like attack Tarouet, the Egyptian god of women and children, and maybe like tire her up and take take the ship. Mark, classic mom, classic Mark, No, don't do that. Steven says, no, We're not gonna do that. We're gonna do what she says. And then he then sees like a strange through a window and door he scenes Moonnight in action kicking ass and through another window he uh. They see Stephen and Kanshu turning back the stars as Leilah watches. Then they hear the boy again in some kind of terror. Uh. They enter a cafeteria that is filled with dead bodies and these apparently are all the people that Mark has killed over the course of his of his service, well of the course of his life, including his service to Kanshu. And guess what, it's a lot of people, folks, It's a cat.
Speaker 2: He killed a lot of people, and let's let's keep that in mind, because I have some thoughts about the end of this episode. So let's keep in mind how many people Marks back to killed.
Speaker 1: It's even marked. It's a cafeteria worth of people, like it's legitimately a full cafeteria people. Mark insists, Listen, these were bad folks, as far as I know, bad people Marked by the vengeance of Kanshu were notably leaving out any of the people he killed as a mercenary. Okay uh. But interesting fact, once this detail about Mark has been revealed, the scales, which had been kind of like going back and forth unbalanced, are now beginning to slow. This process of revealing, of working through these past memories is working. The child that they've been hearing now appears in the room. Stephen goes after him. Mark is like, don't do that, and Stephen looks in a room of Mark's memories and discovers Mark. This boy is Mark as a boy, and we see Mark as a boy with his parents and his little brother. Mark's mom is telling Mark, listen, you've got young Mark. You've got to watch over your little brother. That's your job. That is your responsibility. The boys then go off through the woods down into a cave which they are looking to explore, and a rainstorm, A flash thunderstorm happens and the cave quickly fills with water, flooding and Mark's brother dies. Our Mark then enters a memory of his family sitting shim brother. Mark's mom, Wendy, blames the death explicitly on Mark, like straight up is like that's your act, which is fucked up. Mark's father remains over the course of time, we would surmise close to Mark, but his mother is increasingly hateful, clearly depressed and vengeful, lashing out all the time. We see young Mark flee into his bedroom. Stephen tries to go and see what's gonna go on there, but Mark won't let him go see it. We get another memory of younger Mark, teenage Mark now leaving home with his father insisting, listen, your mother's gonna get help. I know that she's in a bad way right now, very toxic, but like she's gonna get help, you shouldn't leave. Mark then takes Stephen away from this memory. They end up in an even more troubling memory. Dead bodies in the desert at night in front of the tomb of kan Chu, and this, of course is the Faithful Knight from Mark's Mercenary Days where he first makes the acquaintance of Kanchu. One of the dead there laying under the moon is Laylah's dad. Whoops, Mark grievously wounded as preparing to take his own knife, and then here's the voice of Kanchu and kan She's like, hey, uh wow, you're a really fucked up person with a lot of problems, and I'm sensing, you know, a fractured psyche. You're perfect. You're perfect for what I have in mind, which is you are my hands, my eyes, my vengeance, my final word against evildoers on Earth. Uh so that's the deal you serve me on Earth. I heal you, you go out and kill people for me, or you die right here. And so Mark takes a deal. Kan Hu. Uh, you know, clearly a very exploitive person. Stephen points this out to Mark, like Kanchu was an asshole, like kan Chu saw a mentally ill person who was bad and decided I can exploit this person. And yes, Mark says he did that, but he also kept us alive. And then suddenly the scales are balanced. Outside in the duot, a storm is brewding. They go back up to the deck of the ship and Taro d is like, you see all these purple things raining from the sky. Guess what that is? That's people that Haro is killing up in the real world, just as he promised to do. Mark and Stephen then asked Tarawett, okay, send us back, like we can stop him, like send us back to life. And before you do that, get a message to Laila to free Kanshu so that you know, like when we go back into a body filled with bullets, Kanshu can put the suit on us and heal us and we'll come back and we can and we can fight Arthur Harrow. Taro d is like, that's a bad idea because you were both just coming to the place where you realize that Kanhu is like bad for you, like Kadju's like a bad person to be involved with. But okay, like I guess what choice do we have. She turns the boat around. Stephen wants to go back into that bedroom memory. Mark resists. Stephen says, listen, if all these people die, because you won't let me see this memory, that's going to be your fault. If Layla dies, it's going to be your fault. All that stuff is going to be your fault. Now, of course, this is exactly the same thing that his mother, Mark's mother said to him, and that was kind of the beginning of this traumatic break, and it causes Mark to just crumble. He shatters. He finds himself back in Arthur Harrow's office. Arthur raises the possibility that Stephen was created by Mark to hide trauma, which turns out to be.
Speaker 3: Very very right.
Speaker 1: Haro wants Mark to open up to Steven so that Stephen can understand the things that Mark is hiding from Stephen, that Mark created Stephen to hide from himself. We go to the room Mark's childhood room, and in there we see an appalling scene Mark's mom abusing him physically. Stephen is a Paul discovered that not only this terribly troubling, violent scene, but also that he kind of doesn't exist, like he's not a quote unquote real person. He is a creation of Mark, created specifically to hide this trauma. And then now Stephen finds himself in Harrow's office. Haro wants to call Steven's mother on the phone to discuss this situation and Steven's like, ah, don't do that. Haro then gets her on the phone and he's talking to her. Stephen realizes, wait, that can't be because Mark's mother is my mother, and Mark's mother is dead. Therefore she is dead. Therefore, all of my memories of having a great relationship with my mom and all these phone calls I was having with her from the museum and from my apartment, those are all fake. That's not real. We see then the memory of Mark at his outside his mother's shiva. They see the moment that Stephen took over from Mark outside outside the shiva, and this is apparently only two months prior, which is wild. Stephen then lets Mark know that their brother's death was not his fault. And back on the ship, the unbalanced souls of the duot begin to climb onto the deck. Mark and Stephen fight that you fight together, but in the end Stephen falls overboard and Mark's creation dies, thus balancing the scales, and Mark enters the field of reeds. Cue the credits, Rosie, your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Okay, So these making shows about this stuff is very complex, and sometimes it's going to be for some people, and sometimes it's not the representation and way they chose to go for it in this episode didn't particularly work for me, and a major part of it hangs on the final thing. So if you're deemed worthy to go through to the Field of Reeds due to judging your heart, how come Mark goes through and he's a mass murderer just because suddenly he doesn't have an alternative personality. That seems like not well thought out to me. It kind of like digs into some of the the I feel like this is a really ambitious episode, but I also feel like it could have been the third episode and then we'd have three more episodes to explore it. That's kind of where my head is at.
Speaker 1: I felt the same way, although I will say this to one My guess is that the final episode will clear up whatever hanging threads we have, and that maybe the loophole here is that because Mark Spector became a mass murderer in the service of an Egyptian god god show, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: So like, yeah, you're not getting into the ancestral plane or valala, right, you know. But much like if Thor, as we all know, young Thor, you know, back in the Viking days took part in human battles killed. We would surmise many many, many many people in the prosecution of various Viking wars. Right, that Odin blessed as being fine. Therefore he could enter, you know, like the as Guardian afterlife, but maybe like the Egyptian afterlife will be close to him, maybe in a similar way. That is why it's not necessarily.
Speaker 2: Very thoughtful, Right, that's very thoughtful, generous take, and I like it.
Speaker 1: It's not necessarily hope that it's not as say, Mark is a great guy. It's like, well, can't you who's one of us said go ahead and do this, this is fine.
Speaker 2: And pay for his So I think that narratively, if we get like, the feelings are the feelings, and it's all subjective, and I'm sure there's loads of people that's really worked for. So narratively, I think the big thing when we talk about things to tie up, aside from potentially a little bit more about the Altars, is Jake Lockley. So it is Jake Lockley. In this episode, there is a moment in Arthur Harrow's office where Mark or Stephen wakes up and he's got a slightly heavyer Chicago accent. He's got a bandage across his nose, and he immediately goes for violence, and he's like, yeah, I feel great, well done. Yes, if you're doing a great job. Is that Jake Locke? Are we going to find out that Jake Lockley is that violent alter third altar that's in there? Like, I think that for people who love Moonnight comics or love Moonnight as a character, I think that that final episode is going to need to lean in a little bit more to those different iterations because we've had that emotional Mark and Stephen's story here, even though it does diverge quite a lot from the comics origin, we've had that kind of big emotional moment. So what will happen next? Because Mark is now alone? So does he go after Coon Shu? Does he unlock another altar? What do you think it's going to be?
Speaker 1: I suspect that we have not because of the hints like the one you just mentioned from Arthur Herro's office, plus the one that we had discussed from a couple episodes back where Mark is fighting the Arthur heroes like heavies in Egypt and then all of a sudden he goes through the switch where usually you would expect Stephen to take control here, but we just get black and we don't know who and the henchees have been taken out and it wasn't Mark and it wasn't Stephen, so who was it. We've got these hints that there is another altar waiting to reveal, to be revealed, and I feel like we're gonna that feels like the other shoe to drop. All of which is to say, I can't imagine that we've seen the last of Stephen, Like, no, I don't know what it means that he quote unquote died in the sands of Duot and what was pulled under, but I feel like that altar is still going to be around. I don't know how they're going to get through that or how they're going to work that out, but it feels like other altars are still waiting to come out.
Speaker 2: I think so. And we've talked a lot about the Jeff Lamir Greg small Wood stuff, which is like Moon Night volume eight, and that stuff definitely deals with this concept of how do how does Mark come to a piece that accepts who he is? And that could be who he is alone or it could be who he is with the Altars, and seeing as they established this notion that each of the Altars has a different suit, I feel like that might turn into more of a classical superpower in the future where it's like the older Moonnight comics where he slips in and out. And while that is not a realistic representation you know of did I think that they put their effort into doing this emotional episode this week and we might kind of see how Mark and Moonnight transcend. It feels like a lot to wrap up in a final episode, so I wonder if this is going to be a low key where they just announce a second season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like a tremendous amount to wrap up. A producer saw a super producer, Saul in the chat mentions, how would they manage any Egyptology without Steven? I think that's a good point. We still have such a good point. Yeah, we still have Arthur harrow And and the Amint crisis to deal with. You know, are there Harrows up there? Yeah? Are their heroes up there legitimately like reigning souls down into the afterlife before their time. So that has to be dealt with, and Mark with just his knowledge is not going to be up to it now in a post field of reads, uh like reality is Mark slash Stephens slash potentially Jake. Are they just like more much like the comic books. They They're still there, those memories are still there, those personalities quote unquote are still there in some kind of form of fashion. But the the the the demarcations between them are more amorphous, and they're more more I mean, we legitimately saw a balancing of scales. Maybe they reside together in a more more or less healthy quote unquote way. Is that what we see going forward?
Speaker 2: I think we could definitely see that, And I think that it will be really interesting to see the way they approach it because this is something that comics and superho shows have done before, like Legion and you know, Doom Patrol really focused on it with Jane. So I'm really interested to see because I feel like they've established little things here that make you think you're gonna need to see these characters again, one being that Stephen is like a lot of people's favorite character. Yeah, and somebody that they connected with as their in character and who they feel represented by is kind of like a guy just trying to do the best in his life. So I think for him to never be there again and for it to just be kind of cold hearted, I'm gonna shoot some people, Mark. That doesn't seem likely to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And quick couple other questions, how does he get back to Earth? I mean, it seems like Tara Week could just send him like she was not. Her objection was like, I would send you back to a body that is grievously wounded with a bunch of bullets in his chest, not I can't do it. So I guess theoretically wouldn't be that hard. You just have to find the right god to agree to do it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how experimental is it going to be? Are you going to get an episode that leans into that small word lamir stuff where he's suddenly in all the bodies and he's kind of using them to go through He's gonna be Jake, He's gonna be this to survive. Is it just as simple as Tarawet sending him back? She's the goddess of children, of protection of fertility. Maybe she can help because the scales are balanced now. Maybe Arthur harrib will bring him back, like in some kind of joke of Batman situation where he needs Mark to see that he won to see the truth of Konshu. You know, we saw Layla's dad wearing the scarlet scarab robe. There's a chance that Layla with the scarab or a different kind of artifact has the power to bring Mark. I think from the pacing of this episode, we'll probably be boom right back in the real world next week.
Speaker 1: I think that that is probably the case, And I guess my my overarching question is like does Moonnight enter, like do we get a season two and does he enter like larger stories, And then as a kind of adduct to that, I think we've both become like I'm pretty convinced that this is the main MCU, right, this is this is where this is happening, and they mentioned in the ancestral plane, plus like some of the other the other the gcqques and like other things lead us to believe that, Okay, this is the regular MCU. Another question, which I think was like an interesting implication of Tarot mentioning the ancestral plane, how much do other deities know about other deities? Like we're going to see in love and thunder thor going to different places and meeting other gods, and meeting the Greek gods. But I wonder how much they all know about each other.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that is the secret seed that Moonnight is sewing. We've always been wondering, like, is Stephen going to be in their main mcu is Mark is Moonnight?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Probably, maybe not. I don't know. Maybe what they're really sowing here is more of that god and deity backstory, those connections between the E and Nad, between bast and sec Met who became the Panther and Lyon gods in Wakanda, between Tarawet, between hmit Beteen and Nubis, And then it seems like it can't be a kind of coincidence that that is leading quite closely into love and Thunder, where we're going to meet I feel the same deities. So maybe that is the bigger picture here, because you know, it's we love this stuff, which is why we pick it apart. So obviously the obvious questions are like Arthur Harrow has a power much bigger than the infinity, gornt right, and nobody's doing anything.
Speaker 1: Nobody's doing where is everybody?
Speaker 2: That's always funny to us, but also in the comics. We know that there are times when someone's doing some multiversal destruction shenanigans and the only person you send is Hawkeye, So it happens.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite, one of my favorite things about Ednie comic book story is like the line in like a Wolverine or a Hawkeye or a Capitain America or a Thor comic where it's like, where are the Avengers. Oh, they're busy, yeah, right now, It's just like they're dealing with their own stuff. And then it'll be like, you know, a little asterisk see Avengers blah blah blah from Okay. Up next, our friend Cody Zigler joins us and we talk comics. Okay, folks, we're stepping out of the airlock and into the comics quarter with our good friend Cody zig Ziggler. Get please pick up Cody Ziggler, Justin Bason and Jim Charlon Pittis's Spider Punk Number one wherever you can find it because it's sold out many many places. Super super fun. Cody, thank you for joining us, and it's time to talk comics.
Speaker 3: Man, yes about it.
Speaker 1: First of all, have you been what are you going up?
Speaker 3: To dude, I've been great. I've been so incredibly busy, as I'm sure you can tell from my social media post. I'm good. I'm currently about to finish the season of Futurama, and I'm almost almost almost about to finish issue five of Spider Punk. That's right. So as soon as I get through this little bit of Elden Ring, I'm going to go to my computer and finish this last issue. Baby. That's that.
Speaker 1: We got to know where are you in the ring right now? What's going on with it? Where are you in the mission? Are you held?
Speaker 3: And Lord yet I am not, but I have dethroned Margot the fell Key, and so yeah, next, they gotta next. I gotta get to go find a giant in the snow. I don't know everyone is as right now, so do some grinding to get Let me.
Speaker 1: Tell you that the giant no spoilers. That is a fight, my friend boy, and and it's one of the fights where you're fighting the guy and you're like, man, I feel bad about having to kill this guy, but then you feel less bad because he just like, whoops your asso. Watch anyway, that's a fun fight. Enjoy that. Let's get into the comics. Then uh. The reason that we want to do this episode one is because we love talking about comics. And then two we wanted to uh, so we want to talk about the things that we're reading right now, the things we really like. And then uh and then as a way to prepare people for Doctor Strange and the Multiverse, a mantas talk about some of the Doctor Strange related comics that we think we might come up. But first let's talk about what we're reading right now. SI, what do you what do you read right now? Man?
Speaker 3: I have you can't see, but I have such a huge stack of stuff. So on to three.
Speaker 2: I love this side.
Speaker 3: I yelled about this yesterday or the other day on our pre pro beating But Gleam by Freddy Carrasco is a book that it picked up a couple of a couple of months ago, and it's right up my alley. I actually haven't been reading a bunch of Cape stuff because I've just been in the Cape world for vastly in the past year. But if you're looking for like a fantastic like afro futurism, black cyberpunk story, I highly recommend this. He's a Canadian black Canadian artist who I think Liz works Japan uh now. But it's a collection of three vignettes, three short stories, a very very very loose through line, but it's got some fantastic art, very very loose from the hip with the actual story. So like you're looking for like some fantastic like sequential art and just following the action and the flow of stuff and like just really for vibes only. I highly recommend GLEAM g L E e M. Pick it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that book is unbelievable. And when I have my first in person meeting with Oliver, our owner who's doing the art for my Godzilla comic, that was one of the best. And he was like, what do you think?
Speaker 1: And I was like, you know, perfect transition to you, Rosie, Rosie Knight. First of all, you got to tell us about your Guydilla comic. What is going on with the Godzilla comic? When can we purchase this comic?
Speaker 2: Okay, so that it is available for pre order now, it was in this month's catalog. I have got a link on my Instagram bio where you can go and get all the information that you can give to your comic bookshop. If you have a Penguin Random House account. You can also order it on their website. But you can just go to your shop and say the name of the comic, Oliver that what.
Speaker 1: Is the name of the comic just so we all go Mozilla.
Speaker 2: It's called Godzilla Rivals Versus batchra And that is because it is part of the ongoing Rival series, which features stories from the Godzilla movie Monster universe, and they're completely unconnected to the movies and they're just solo forty page one short issues. And mine is with Oliver, who's an astonishing artist who is also inking coloring the whole book, and it's really cool. It's like classic Godzilla meets Studio ghibli Oh hello, yeah, yeah, There's there's an entire page that's just cooking. There's just there's at least no page. Thank you, So you know, I get a spider Punk every month.
Speaker 1: What is your what's your relationship to Godzilla? Why Godzilla? Why this story? Like? What is why we spoke to you about Godzilla?
Speaker 2: I absolutely love Godzilla. I am sitting currently where I record my podcast, where this podcast where there is one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, seven Godzilla figures and a reclining service. I've always loved Godzilla. I have a baby Godzilla Tatto Manila. I remember watching them as a kid and here now, like there's so many brilliant ways to revisit them, whether you're watching them dubbed on like Comet, or whether you're getting the Criterion versions, which are incredible. I think the stories that they have the same thing we love about comics, where Godzilla comes from a space of being this incredibly important, personal analogous story about Japan and nuclear war and the hazards of the nuclear bomb. And it has evolved and there's moments where it's totally wacky and outrageous, but it always has this ecological through line which I just think is really powerful, and that's a big part of our story. Like it's set in England, but it was very much inspired by the area I live in on like the coast of La La City, and there were just so many sewage spills here, like months, just every month, just sewage bill, sewage bill, sewage bill, and it always happens in the area which is mostly poor people, mostly black and brown people. That's like that environmental kind of racism element. So bring in like those elements in and trying to imagine like a better world with cool people who wanted to change things, but also with like giant monsters. Way, there's lots of giant monster I'll ever deliver on the giant monsters.
Speaker 1: Rosie. What are you reading right now? What is your first recommendation for us?
Speaker 2: My first recommendation is this, Really I'm going to go I'm going to follow Ziggs lead. I'm gonna go non Cape Right now. There is this brilliant independent publisher called Black Jose Press, which I just love. I'll read anything from there, And they published this unbelievable collection of queer erotic comics called Arrive in My Hands. And even if you're like, oh, erotic, that sounds a bit, no, it's like the most beautiful, poetic, stunning work by Trinidad Escobar. And I pre ordered the physical copies, which I think will be available soon, but there's a PDF version that's available. I just keep looking at it. It's like one of those things where every time you look at it, you explore something new, and it feels really transgressive and relatable and beautiful and kind of thing where I'm just I'm so excited to show it to people and just be like, do you know people are making comics like this, Like this is what you can be enjoying alongside the monster's fighting and the superheroes and everything. You can get these really personal, beautiful comics made by brilliant, marginalized creators. And Black Jose Press just does non stop publications like that. It's one of my favorite publishers, and this book was just like it. Even I have high expectations of that publisher, but it totally overwhelmed them. I just that book is so good, so ten out of ten recommendations.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's awesome. I will go Cape because I've been keeping the last couple of weeks to bone up for movies and stuff they're coming out. And I was a full disclosure, never much of a Hulk person when I first started reading comics. And despite the fact that like there was some really really you know mister fix It era classic kind of like classic like Kulk's stories at that time, love the pin suit, but I just was never much of a Hulk person, Like I'd check in for the big events World War Hulk, you know, Planet Hulk, et cetera. Those are of course good, but I was never like a I'm reading the Hulk now Immortal Hulk changed turned my head a lot in ways that I was not expecting. And the ongoing series, The Hulk series by Donnie Kate's Ryan Otley, Cliff Rathburn and Frank Martin is really good and really interesting and takes you know, it's always like, how do we redefine the relationship between Bruce Banner and the Hulk? You know, it's constantly changing. How do we how do we make it new and fresh? And this time it's Bruce Banner is both like the main character kind of the bad guy, which is I guess happened for a while, but he has turned the Hulk into like a pilotable like battle like buy a battleship that like a like a mech suit that he is sitting like deep inside the psyche of the Hulk, piloting this Hulk around and having crazy fights and crazy adventure is really really good and really interesting. The art is fantastic.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Ryan Otley r Ryley onto that big two stuff is just.
Speaker 1: Like it's just like so gnarly and like biological and and and the textures that he that he brings out are fantastic it's it's great and as a person who again has never really been much of a Hulk person, just like straight up throughout the course of my comics reading life, has never been much of a Hulk person until recently. I'm really enjoying this book quite a bit.
Speaker 3: You said, you say, met Hulk, I'm already in, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back to you. Zig. What else?
Speaker 3: This is another non Cape comic, but Mark Ballast by E. P.
Speaker 4: H K.
Speaker 3: It's a it's viewers or listeners can't see this, but it's a.
Speaker 2: It's a every dime.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's a quote unquote silent comic in that there's words, but it's all gibberish and it's just following a two fighter pilots that are fighting over Mars and they shoot each other down. They just you know, it's like an enemy mind situation where they help each other out. But if you're looking for some really really he's a He is a French artist, and if you're looking for some truly some of the most vivid, sequential art and just storytelling out right now, I highly recommend this. It's a it's a pocket sized graphic novel, one hundred and twenty pages and it has like the use of like red and orange is fantastic, Like it flows together. There's some really really interesting panel layouts and uh just the use of like language and in using a non language to convey emotion and like some fantastic and acting with the drawing, like check out Mars Mars Ballast by E. P.
Speaker 1: H K Shouts to the Enemy mind Drop, which is really like forgotten sci fi movie from the eighties star Gym, starring Dennis Quaid and Lewis Gossa Junior as too uh you know, uh, two fighter islots from from opposing warring factions humans versus I forget the name of the alien species. But they then crash land on a desolate planet and have to like learn to live together. And it is like a heartbreaking story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd never seen it until it was on broadcast a couple of years ago, hair and I was just like, oh, my fucking god, and how has nobody told me about man?
Speaker 1: It is like, I'm not even fucking around. Lou Gassa Junior should have been Oscar nominated for that fucking role. I'm not even I'm not joking. It is not a fucking joke. Like in full makeup that must have taken hours and hours to get into. He is fully emotive, like breaks your heart in a million fucking ways. He should have been Oscar Nomen. It's an incredible movie. Find it if you can. Great movie. Enemy Mine, Rosie up next for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, you flipped me. I was gonna do a different I'll do this one later, but I'll do one now because just talking about like really weird, deep sci fi.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 2: Was revisiting Umbrella Academy in the lead up to the third series and I read Hotel Oblivion again, which was the third volume which came out like eight years after the second volume, written by Jared Way with his collaborator artist Gabriel Barr, who is just so unreal. And if you want to get prepared for the third season introduction of the mysterious Sparrow Academy kind of then it's a great thing to read. But if you just want to read a really weird experimental sci fi comic which takes place in these two it's like some people are trapped in this hotel. Is it really a hotel? Is it like a cosmic kind of void like you? And it's just Gabriel's art is so good, and so much of Umbrella Academy is like the creative team's love for the X Men and for these stories. This volume is is not really that this volume is balls to the wall bonkers, n I mean, Gabriel's art is like he is just a star, Like everything that he does is just beautiful. But like I was so blown away rereading that book. I was just like, this is like no other superhero comic. You know, it's Cape comics, but it's not. And that is just it's such a great read anyway, and it's just a really easy volume and there's so much fun to be had. But also if you're if you're excited about the new season or you want a primer, it works on that level as well. But I was I read it for that reason. Then I was just like, this is so weird in the best way. It really delivered on what you want from that kind of Umbrella Academy stance. It was.
Speaker 1: It was great what I think Gerard Way might have the coolest can act like of people that I can think of in terms of like going into a completely different lane and being really good at it. Of course, like is the as the lead vocalist of My Chemical Romance was extremely influential. But like the flip to to comics and Umbrella Academy, I remember at the time being like, let's see and then being like, oh fuck, this is good shit.
Speaker 3: Twice Yeah, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: His story arc is so unbelievable as well, because he was like a Vertigo intern as a teenager, and it was like, is this gonna work?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: And Okay, now I'll go and start like the most famous emo like stadium rock band of you know, the decade. But I'm staying friends with Jim Lee who loves this kind of music. And then kind of somehow you end up in this space where you create like one of not only one of the most successful indie comics, but then it becomes one of the biggest Netflix originals. I know so many people who love Umbrella Academy who've never read a comic. Yeah, yeah, they just love the show. It is a true crossover success in that way.
Speaker 1: When we're back more comics Corner, We're back, So I'm gonna go listen. I've been on my I'm gonna go Cape again. I've been on my X Men slash Mutant thing as they are transitioning into the Immortal X Men slash x Men. Red Phase shouts at what a come up for my mutant family. They were on the Village of Extinction. There was like less than two hundred of them left. Now they're colonizing Mars. It's look at us now we'd be here and kind of against all odds. I don't know if that's true. My favorite, I love my X Men, but kind of my favorite, like ongoing X solo title has been Marauders, like the whole time, so Steve Orlando, Eleonora Carlini, Matt Miller or They have just released Marauders number one. It's kind of like a reboot of the ongoing Marauders title and it's super fun. I'm enjoying spending the time on the high seas with Don't Call Her Kitty, Catherine Pride, Lockheed and the rest of the Pirate crew, sailing from nation to nation, making sure that Mutants can go to Krakoa if they so wish to do so. It's been really fun. Lots of fun shenanigans with with you know, the the Black King Shaw, lots of stuff going on. It's if you want to get into like an X book that is not so wrapped up in a lot of the ongoing like ex Politics, and it's kind of like, in my my read of it is kind of like the easiest to follow one. Like if you want to drop into the X world and you're like, oh my god, do I have to do like House of X and donno X and all that stuff and get here, yes and no, and you just want to pick it up and see what's going on. I would Marauder's Number one is a great place to get on, and the previous Marauders ongoing before the renumber was just super straightforward, really fun, just like Mutants on the High Seas I think.
Speaker 2: I think like one of the best things about the X titles at the moment is like their additive so you can read an X book and really enjoy it, but like if you've read every other X book, you're going to find even more to dig into and enjoy, so you can find the one you like, whether it's Hellians or Marauders and more X men. I thought it was brilliant the first issue, like and then if you've read it, you get in jokes and bits, but otherwise, like you can go back and add more onto it, and it kind of works in this lateral way that I think is really cool for a wide line of comics.
Speaker 1: Shouts to mister Sinister going evil once again. He's been played for laughs in Hells. I like he stayed sasy.
Speaker 2: He's more a X Man. He's been eight sassy.
Speaker 1: He's been incredibly sassy over the last year. To have two years and now in a moral X Men, my guys taking the keeltering but still still snapping on people.
Speaker 2: I love that fast issue of a Mortal X Men has one of my all time recent fave lettering uses where they I think it's Clayton calculates that book, but I'll double check, but he goes he does like a what, and the what is like just huge. But when you read it in the context of the joke where he's trying to act surprised and at the bottom it says like, was that too much? It's so funny. I've reread it multiple times and it's made me laugh out loud, like the we all know this, And we talked about Tom Miller's amazing production design, but the intricacies and detail and of quality that they're putting in every level on those books is very good.
Speaker 3: Zigurre up all right, So I'm off my art shit and onto a more traditional comic, A Righteous Thirst from Vengeance out of Are a nice slow burn act thriller comic. I highly recommend if you're a fan of like A History of Violence or Green Room or Blue Ruin, like those who are like Grady grounded, also bizarrely hyper violent action thrillers, I highly recommend uh a Thirst for for a Righteous for Vengeance. And also I defy you to read this and not picture Benedict Wang as the lead the cover, it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh Rosie, Yeah, I'm gonna go there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna the other direction. If you've read A Righteous Best Vengeance and you're like, I need something really chill, slice a watch one of my favorite comics of all time and probably my favorite living cartoonist, Ramiko Takahashi, who is behind any Yasha Lum basically any favorite anime or manga that you read as a teen. Uh Ramiko was probably behind it. And she has this unbelievable slice of life book called Maison a Cuckoo that's about a young widow who takes over an eclectic boarding house and it is like the funniest, sauciest, silliest slapstick. Every single page there's something that will make you want to get a tattoo because.
Speaker 1: Romiko is stunning, dangerous.
Speaker 2: She's stunning like figure work and watercolors, and they and Viz is currently doing beautiful reprints. I think they're up to volume seven now. But she's also really good at a gag face. So if you love like Sailor Moon and you love when in the back you see like they got the little silly gagfaces, Remiko just has that down pat It's it's a romance. It's really thoughtful about grief. But it's also like Romiko is a very saucy cartoonist, like she created Lum, who is like this sexy blue headed alien with the leopard print bikini. There's just there's so much fun to be had. And this is like the vis reprints that they're doing of this a bunch of other Romiko stuff. If they did Mermaids Saga, they're also doing Fist in the North Star ones that are beautiful. They're the kind of books that make you want to reread them, Like the versions they're doing are so beautiful. So yeah, Maison a Cuckoo. I love this comic. I want everyone to read it. I want vis to re release the live action eighties adaptation series that they made of it, which has never been re released. I need to see that, so everyone's go and read this. So visual we'll publish that.
Speaker 3: Every time we do. We need these episodes. My bank account is just the same thing. Pain.
Speaker 1: I know, it's pain, dude, same for me. Okay, uh my, this is really hard. But so I've been uh I've been very active on my Marvel Unlimited, digging through the stacks. I've been reading a lot of West Coast Avengers just to you know, catch the vibe and remember what that was like. And they recently released all of the X Deaths of Wolverine series on there, and you know what, as a as a recovering Wolverine, loganhead was a huge look. You know. I was like, as a kid, that was it. I was a loganhead. I'd run around and wonder, man, what would be how cool would it be to have like little metal claws come out of my knuckles and like have every time? The best there is at what I do. But what I do is very nice and it's read comics all the time. I think that, uh, Excess Wolverine is super fun. It's super fun. It's like, uh, it's again a kind of thing that gives you a lot of sprinklings of ongoing events, uh you know, post Kracoa events in Mutantom, But it's a Wolverine story that takes you on a kind of time traveling and a swashbuckling tour of Wolverine's life as heat. Uh. It's like basically Terminator Wolverine goes back through the timeline trying to stop Omega Red from killing Professor X sometime in the past, and it happens. It happens all the time. It happens, It happens the best. Yeah, and Omega Red has developed this new thing where he can, you know, touch someone and basically possess them, which is a problem. And so Wolverine's got to go back through his old bodies. Now he's young Wolverine. Now he's patched. Now he's a different version of Now he's WEAPONEX Wolverine. Now he's Wolverine, Uh, you know, lurking in the Central American jungles with Sabertooth and that other weird guy he used to hang around with Maverick. Uh, and I gotta tell you, I'm having a good time. I'm having a good time reading it. I don't know what to tell you that that has been our comics recommendations. Let's dive into stuff that we think might be useful for people to talk about to read. As Doctor Strange approaches. First one on this list, which Rosie and I were talking about, I wonder if you've read it. Zig is Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom Triumphant Torment written by Rogers Stern with pencils and covers by Mike Magnola and Mark Badger. And it's like what Mike Manola doing Doctor Strange and Doctor I love it. And it's a great one shot story that really lets you into how thirsty Doctor Doom is from magic man.
Speaker 2: This guy he loves.
Speaker 1: Tempting the magic. He loves going over the line with like if you thought Doctor Strange pushed it with the spells, with the crossing the line with the like books he shouldn't read, but he's gonna go ahead and read. The Doctor Doom is even more that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you know Mignola is Mgnola. It's super fun. Uh. Mephisto is there that is that would be my first recommendation for something that is like easily easy to pick up. You don't need to know a lot if you wanted to pick it up and read it. Any of y'all have any any any recommendations along or sides, I've got one.
Speaker 2: But another thing I think is really good about that piece is like it really specifically centers on like doctor Doom's mom, which is like a weird thing they were obsessed with in the eighties and nineties because in some of the Moonlight stuff where shot Horror dodtr Doom appears it's all to do with his mom, Like this guy has mother issues and they were being explored. So who knows is that going to come into it in them? See, I don't know, but it seems interesting and connected. So first of all, as well, I always think it's so funny when you, even as people have been reading these comics however long like decades or whatever, whenever we find a might make know the Big Two comics, they're like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he did, like, okay, pick it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's happening, but I'm going to go newer.
Speaker 1: Yeah I was.
Speaker 2: I've kind of read like the first issue of this series, the Death of Doctor Strange, but I recently read the whole thing. The five issue collection is at now Jeff McKay. Pencils by legue Ar, but Curry Andrews does great covers. This is like such a fun book. The idea is like Doctor Strange is gonna die. He gets killed? Who did it? And he gets to kind of like we have to work out what happened? And it's timey wimy r is like so beautiful, cartoony and beautiful and fun, and there's like cute animal characters and I feel like, you know, zig no comment from you here inside business. Yeah, I feel like one of my favorite things talk about is how Marvel Seed stuff is very they want people to necessarily conceptualize or come to terms with, or become familiar with. And this feels like one of those comics where I'm like, one, it's a fun superhero romp, but two, have a read Doctor Strange, you might be happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I definitely feel that same way, whether or not that's what the book that I'm currently writing, I think that's also the same energy, right, Yeah, And also Jet's a fantastic, fantastic writer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this book is so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's such a fucking fun fun writer.
Speaker 1: Should add one of the I think one of the things that really felt like, oh we're seeing this is so part of this is not a spoiler, but you know Doctor Strange's murder, who did it? And of course Doctor Strange has a uh, you know protocol in place should he die by means, and that protocol is to like activate an earlier, much more aggressive, much more line steppy version of himself, pluck that version out of whatever timeline is in and bring them, bring them to the present to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did he like a shlock? He asks, yes, like experience. So then let's just say, seems like could be influential.
Speaker 1: I feel that it could be. Did you have anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was really torn, but I think I'm gonna go with Hickman's New Avengers run time time runs out. Yeah, yeah, I mean I think anyone could tell from the trailers that the ILLUMINAI is going to be in this, and like that Illuminati is such a big part of Doctor Strange's current origin, at least as modern with the last ten years origin. And if you're really looking for like just a really fun four issue runs like or five issue run to jump in. I think it's it's sixteen through twenty one of Hickman's New Avengers. I introduces one of my absolute favorite characters, Son God. He's just a Superman pastiche there's a fantastic fight between him and Hulk that when I was read it, when I was like, twenty seven was the hypest shit I ever read, and twenty seven and I was turning up, I was quoting it. I had the pictures of my tumbler like I was taking scanning them alone. There. It's a really great entry for that, and I'm I'm just from the trailer. I'm assuming they're gonna be doing some fun Illuminati underhandedness, and I hope that they get some fun, big, big action fight scenes like that in there.
Speaker 1: That is I think a monumental run. Great no, And I think it.
Speaker 2: Makes a lot of sense because it leads into like one of the things that we talk about a lot with your Secret Wars and how that seems like the future of the MCU, and and there's doctor Doom elements, you know, God Doom, all that kind of stuff. So I think I think that's a brilliant pick and also just fun.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite parts of that Time runs out Run is the war between Atlantis and Wakanda, which feels like feels like feeding something you need to, you need to pay attention to, and that was a thing that absolutely grabbed me by the collar when I was reading. Oh, some of the twists and turns in that, like ongoing Struggle, are like, man, you can't believe what happens. Great, great, great run. I will pick a house of m for mine. The two thousand and five limited series Brian Michael Bendis, pencils by the Great Oliver Corpel, covers by the Great east Side, Ribbitch, and eight Core issues you can stick to those, but there are lots of tie ins that spread out, you know, across different titles. But the basic plot is Wanda is just so heartsick over the struggles that mutants have had to go through over the generations and the years, and them being oppressed and and through fits and starts, like all the attempted genocides that have happened over the course of time, and she's like, forget it, that's enough. I want to please my mutant family. Magneto and Quicksilver and I want to I want to heal a mutantom, and so I'm going to create a world in which mutants reign. Mutants are the main force in the world, and there are like non powered people, but they're they're a vast minority, and mutants run the world. And I feel like this is gonna be you know, we've talked about it before on this pod, but I feel like, up it comes up a lot, right, and it feels like, listen, we're waiting for mutants to come into the MCU. Wanda is growing more and more powerful with the ability, as we have seen over the course of Wanna Vision to alter reality and really like the drastic ways. And we know that the at least some part of Doctor Strange and the Multiverse Amandas involves Strange going to a place where other powered people exist, which is how we get America Shavas. And we also know that, like, man, you hear the voice of Patrick Stewart in that fucking trailer.
Speaker 3: He was basically saying, you makes them with magic. It like it's really hard. You could not distinguish. There's no high knew that was.
Speaker 1: And so it's a really really fun story. I highly recommend it my guy Wolverine. Again, if you're a Wolverine head, he does some he makes some things happen in this and some stuff.
Speaker 2: That man has a memory.
Speaker 1: He always like when it's just like normal life, he can't remember anything about what he used to do, But when he gets transported to another like timelized dimension, all of a sudden, he can't forget what happened in the previous world anyway. Uh, and Rosie, you have anything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got one more. But I also just want to say, like, this leads to my favorite theory that I I It like pops up every soft and on Reddit, I've seen it on TikTok, which is the MCU as it exists, is the No More Mutants universe. I just wonder creating the House of M. I love that it's never gonna happen. Every time I think about it, I am just like that is so efficient and it is so effective. And you know, I think the trailer where we see Charles and everyone and he says, you know, it's time to tell him the truth. Oh the truth is you know mutants exist outside this world, and uh, yeah, I think House of M. Like there's so much stuff there because people get to live their dream lives, like Peter is happy, and then you have this choice of like having to give it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think another really good one, which is really new, is Captain Carter. Jamie McKelvey, Icondriga Cresta newer artists on that doing some really dynamic stuff. And if you enjoyed the first issue episode of What If If you want to know more about Captain Carter, who we think is probably going to show up in Doctor Strange Too, then this is a great place to go. It's got political intrigue, it's got anti fascist tendencies, It's got really really really really really cool character work for Captain Carter. It introduces a different version of Peggy that we've never seen. And I think this is again seeding. Do I think they're going to adapt Jamie's story? I wish they would probably not gonna happen. But is there a reason that there's a Captain Carter comic that you can buy right now that's going to be out during Strange Too? I believe so. So Yeah, this is a this is a really good one.
Speaker 3: Zig Uh, you know, last one. I'm glad that no one else covered it but Marvel Zombies. Was it was between this and World War Hocus what got me into Marvel comics proper. Like I was a cute obwously it was a huge Walking Dead fan. I was a huge horror fan in general. But Marvel Zombies, I mean they've already don the what if episode, and I feel like it seems such a fun universe for Marvel to tap into in the live action space, Like it would be crazy if you don't just see like zombie Wanda for like, you know, a split second, like Marvel you know, Change does his gang signs and you see your pop up in the back corner or whatever we see.
Speaker 2: It is strange and this is Sam Raimi, this is the Zombies, Like, yeah, that's a run. That's a killer.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love these res I hope they are helpful to people. Check out the show notes for any of the stuff that you missed to the run of the show. We'll have everything listed there. Up next nerd Out. Yeah, today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love and why. Alice pitches us on a musical theater company called Star Kid Production's aka Team stark it.
Speaker 2: Hi x Ray Vision Team.
Speaker 5: My name is Alice and from my nerd out, I would like to submit a musical theater company called Starkt Productions or better known as Team star Kid. So I discovered Team Starkit over ten years ago through another fandom that I was in, which was for the TV show Plea, and when it was announced that Darren Chris would be joining the show, I decided to check out his previous work and I stumbled onto Team stark It because it was also a huge Harry Potter fan. The first thing I watched was there Harry Potter parody, which was a very Potter musical, and I completely fell in love with the writing and the humor and the songs. And a year later I then went to Chicago to see their newest show, Starship, which was a sci fi musical parody, and they were just as great live as I had seen on YouTube basically, And so why I think you should get into it is that they've created so many wonderful parody musicals about such a wide array of pop culture phenomena, including Star Wars, Harry Potter, superheroes, and even most recently of Christmas Carol. And I think the Extra Vision listeners and the Extra Vision team would really love the heartfelt way in which they pay tribute to these universes, and I think you would particularly like the little easter eggs and the little inside jokes that they throw in for the people who know that particular material.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Their shows are done.
Speaker 4: By fans for fans, because everyone involved in Team Starket themselves is a nerd and you can really tell that they love the source material by the effort that they put into the writing and the music and the performances, and it's really lovely, and you can tell that they really genuinely love the shows and the movies and the comics or whatever other source material that they are drawing from, and the music and the writing and the performances are amazing, of course, But really the best part is that with every show they create, you either get to experience a new fandom if you're not familiar with the source material, or you get to appreciate a fandom that you're already a part of all over again and with a new point of view through their awesome songs. So I'm not sure what they have planned at the moment because of Corona, but for nerd out listeners, I would recommend checking out a very part of Musical Annie which is their Star Wars parody musical, or Holy Musical Batman which is their superhero show.
Speaker 2: And you can find all of those on.
Speaker 5: YouTube at Team starkd or you get more info about their project on their website teamstarkit dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it for me.
Speaker 2: I hope you enjoy Team star Kid.
Speaker 1: Thanks bye, Thanks Alice for submitting. If you want to be featured, send you nerd out, pitch you x ray at crooked dot com. Instructions are in the show notes. A big thank you to Rosie Knight and Cody zig Ziggler for joining us on x ray zig. What do you got to plug? My guy? Tell us everything you know.
Speaker 3: If you're a fan of comic books, but I think you are for listening to this podcast, check out you know a spider Punk number one? There we go. Baby number two I think comes out the eighteenth of May. Don't quote me on that unless it's true, then quote me all you want to. And I believe what if Miles Morales number five comes out? But I may be wrong, But if not, check them all out because they're all fucking fantastic. Like I just read what If Miles was store, and it is the coolest shit I've ever read, really fun shout out to that. Right, it's the dopest, blackest shit I've ever seen. You got to check that out. It's so fucking clean.
Speaker 1: Rosie plugs, what do you plug in? I'm I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Again, but first Spider Punk. Like when I read that issue like one, it's amazing, It's brilliant. Justin's Oh my god, Jim's letters, I was dying. Cody's writing, It's fantastic. That is like one of the best number ones I've read in such.
Speaker 3: A long time.
Speaker 2: If you are of a certain age, you're you're a millennial or whatever they call us. You grew up in the zeros, you were dancing to a misfit song in a dive bar, you have some questionable tattoos. You will be screaming. This is a true book on every level. I love it. I tell everyone to read it. It's so good. And Jim's lettering is like, I can't get over it. It's it's some of the best best modern comic book lettering, and it adds so much. The final page splash, that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: That is gonna say their final page. Look their teas on the final page. The final flash page is like, oh, I'm like, want to give me the.
Speaker 2: Whole like back piece too of that final thing with the letters and the question.
Speaker 1: It's really really good. So yes, it's really good.
Speaker 2: Is very good. Obviously, what if Mars Morrel is every Mars Morleis should be every character so that yeah, Godzilla, it's it's pre orderable now, it should be coming out in August. That's the nature of comics. You pre order them now, it will be in your shop. Then we will likely be doing some core signings and stuff like that, so keep an ear out for that stuff. You can find me on Instagram. That's where I am, and just doing all this, doing this writing about comics, writing about TV shows, and just talking about all this cool stuff is a good life.
Speaker 1: I check out our videos on the Uncultured YouTube channel and the show notes for the listener's guide to Extra Vision, where we provide more details of where to find the stuff that we talk about on every episode. Check the next episode on May six, where we're gonna find out if all the theories that we have been spouting over the weeks about Doctor Stage and the Multiverse a mannas are ind correct. If they are, we're gonna talk about it more. If they're not, that's the nature of the business. Folks, Next time maybe Bye x ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lorden Salrubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Rhard are editing in sound designs by Facilius Photopolos. Dellan Villanueva and Matta Group provide video production support and Alex Relaford handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for theme music.
Speaker 2: Bye