Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Hannah Elliott and I'm Matt Miller. This is Hot Pursuit. Hey, you're in Amsterdam right now? What are you doing there?
Speaker 3: I'm in Amsterdam. I literally just landed about three hours ago and I'm trying to stay awake. That's what I'm doing right now. Tomorrow I'm going to the Dutch Grand Prix, which will be really fun. I'm actually doing this as part of reporting for a feature that we are working on for our November issue of the magazine about women in sports, and I will be shadowing several of the Formula One Academy drivers they're actually racing this weekend along with the F one race.
Speaker 2: That is very cool. Obviously being at that one race is exciting and fun and you'll see I'm sure many celebrities and stuff, But being in Amsterdam is what I would be more excited about.
Speaker 3: I know, and you know what, I've only been in the airport of Amsterdam. I've never been there. No, I've never been to the city. I mean I literally before this I did a little walk and said at a cafe, but no, I've never been here except the airport.
Speaker 2: I love it. I mean, it's not a car town, obviously, it's more bicycle town. Eat up old bicycle town, right, and you'll see on boats, you know, in the canals. But to me, because I'm a little kid at heart, right, the exciting thing is the red Light District, which is which which will be gross in ways but also interesting and like the legalization of everything long before we did it here, I always thought of Amsterdam as you know in Pinocchio when he goes to I can't remember what it's called, like the Land of Lost Toys or whatever, and they're allowed to do whatever they're like gambling and smoking sis. And that's to me what Amsterdam is always represented. I'm sure there's a more cultural take on it if you go to like the Ights Museum.
Speaker 3: But probably and I haven't made it to either yet. I actually I need I'm really bad. I have actually no concept of what neighborhood I'm in at the moment or anything. I mean, it's by by the water, so I need to get oriented, and yeah, I probably should make my way over. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: So wait the race. Obviously you're busy tomorrow, yeah, yeah, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, but then you get to stay at all after No.
Speaker 3: No, I'm going straight home. I need to you know, I know it's I need to be with my dog. That's like the main thing. It's having been away for an a car week and this I need some dog time more than anything.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get it. But no, Yeah, before we get to everything else, and we're going to talk about Lamborghini, we have a fantastic interview with a man who worked at Lamborghini, like during the turning point when it went from this strange company that mechanical in some ways disasters but also masterpieces to like an Audie owned venture. You know, a very organized and methodical German.
Speaker 3: Uh, very professional.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to just talk a little bit about something I thought about racing because I saw a Cadillac unveiling something at Monterey with you last week, and then Florida is showing now it's new hypercar that they're going to put in Lament, and all of this brings to mind for me the Mustang. There's gonna be a four door Mustang. Have you seen renderings of this?
Speaker 3: You mean not the suv?
Speaker 2: I haven't, No, not the suv. Like a car like famously stopped making cars, but they've always made the Mustang, so they still make that car. And I wonder if, as everyone sort of goes back to wanting a manual transmission, wanting a more screenless analog experience, if we'll also start to want lower like flat cars rather than SUVs and trucks. Again, you think that that could be okay?
Speaker 3: This is my immediate knee jerk reaction with no information. No, this seems insane. Who's asking for this?
Speaker 2: I think it's great. I don't know. I don't know if anyone's really asking for it, but there must be people who have a Mustang and they're like, I wish I had two more doors because it's so hard to get people in the back seat. That's how I felt when I was driving my Challenger around. That's why I went to a larger vehicle. You know, I've got I'm adding people to this family, and but I didn't want to ask. And I love the car experience. It's something you know, you just don't really get anymore. A real car of dan you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't get it unless it's like a premium or luxury car. But this seems crazy. Ford hasn't sold a Sedan since it discontinued the fusion after twenty twenty, so it hasn't sold to Sedan in six years. And we need to ask Farley about this because I just go back to who's asking for this? Even if you did get this and this was made, I don't think it would be big enough for your current needs, Matt.
Speaker 2: You know it wouldn't be. I couldn't fit obviously, all three of.
Speaker 3: The baby seats. It's all about the baby.
Speaker 2: Seats, baby seeds, the nanny, the dog, like, the whole thing wouldn't fit. But I just think, like you know, Ford made some really cool cars. I always loved the Taurus. I loved when cops had Tauruses, and I.
Speaker 3: Always did this of yours.
Speaker 2: I still love the shape of the Tourus. Like to me, Ford makes this mistake that they've made for a few decades now in downgrading every V eight to a twin turbocharged V six or a two cylinder, like if they had put a big Stonking V eight in the Taurus. And they have to do that in a Mustang four door, right, they have to offer a stick shift. So Ford is going to offer essentially a four door Sedan with a V eight and a manual transmission. I mean, that's fantastic news. They can take on the Cadillac CT five V black Way.
Speaker 3: So wait, you are saying that it is confirmed, that's it.
Speaker 4: It's not confirmed, Okay.
Speaker 3: I was going to it's not confirmed that it's a VA and it's not confirmed that it's a manual because that would truly be wild.
Speaker 2: But it has to be. They don't want to go through the whole Machi experience again, which I mean, frankly was kind of embarrassing for the brand if they If they do this, and Mustang could be its own brand, I think the same way that Corvette could be itsself.
Speaker 3: I agree with I do agree with that, sure.
Speaker 2: But but they have to do it right so they can't disappoint again with like an Econo box and ev No. You know, it's got to be fire breathing exactly. It's got to be. And Jim Farley is the man to do it like he is positionally a perfect place to bring this company back to automotive enthusiasts, and this is I think a great vehicle to do it.
Speaker 3: This makes sense because one of our reporters in Detroit called me during Monterey and was sort of asking around if I had seen Farley, and you know, there may be some news coming out, and I bet you this is perhaps what we had he had been thinking of.
Speaker 2: I think it's great. By the way, by the way, the so obviously you can get a CT five V black wing, and I know they're going to come out with keep making those, and I I hope they changed the name eventually to something that anyone can understand and remember. But that's still fairly expensive, right, That's like if you option it, right, it's one hundred grand or more. Yeah, And even buying a used one, you're still not getting a discount because everybody wants those, the manual supercharged V eight six point two liter, and I hope they make one with the new when they have the six point seven liter engine out across everything. But in terms of a four door saddan like an American V eight four door, there hasn't been anything since Dodge killed the Hemi in its charger, right, And even if you didn't love the charger or the Chrysler three hundred, they sold like hotcakes. Like Dodge really killed a branch of cars that were selling like tens of thousands of units a year, so there's a need. I think there's a need in the market for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I mean, gosh, let's see. I also think sometimes automakers drop things in the news to test and see what the reaction is.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: Nothing, they're floating a balloon here.
Speaker 3: But not necessarily. I'm not accusing them of that. But this is interesting because there's a lot of just talking, talking, talking, and Ford of course isn't confirming or commenting on future products. So I mean, we're not really seeing anything concrete, but it's something. It's not nothing. It's not nothing, and if people get excited, that's a great sign, all right.
Speaker 2: I I okay, I'm looking forward to it. I'm just I just looked up the US charger sales. Right in the last years they were selling in twenty nineteen, one hundred thousand chargers, then seventy five thousand for the next couple of years or eighty the final year of Amy production, they sold seventy five thousand, so, you know, and then they canceled it. I just think that Ford could make a lot of money if they did this right. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe it's the you know, Brown station wagon with a stick shift that every automotive journalist in a cliched way wants.
Speaker 4: But right, I'll be.
Speaker 2: Excited if it comes out. Listen, you were you were in Monterey last time we talked, and you were just about to get in and drive the Audi Neu Valari and Aaron Nott Dolner, the CEO of Audi. So can you share anything with us about the Audi Superham?
Speaker 3: Thank you for asking, Mat And unfortunately I cannot yet. That is all under embargo, and I don't want to get into trouble talking about driving a vehicle breaking an embargo. But that embargo lifts next week and I will have a piece about that, so watch this space. But I can say the drive happened and it was very fun, and that that is a real car. That car is coming and I have seen it and I think some people will like it. That is what I can say.
Speaker 2: I just think it's so interesting because it's very much related to the interview that we're about to do. Exactly great pivot. Mauricio Reggiani worked for so long a Lamborghini and he, I guess, is now doing I don't want to say restomods, but he's doing sort of the singer of the Lamborghini Diablo, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think we could say that up, sir Eccentrica. And of course the pivot there for you know, just to keep everyone on the same page, is that Audi and Lamborghini share a lot of components and powertrain technology between the Temorario and the new new Valari. That's not a secret. Everybody knows, so that that's the pivot. And yeah, we were I think it's great talking with Reggiani. I always learned something. And yes, he is now a part of this company, Eccentrica, making these sort of updated Lamborghinis, sort of like the kinds that he was making back in the day, but improved with modern technology. Is that fair to say? Do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it is. In fact, what I was thinking is he essentially makes Reggiani makes new Valaris of Temorarios, now right, I mean he makes Centrica's version of the Diablo and the new Valari, although it's much more expensive than the Temrio and it will be far more limited than the Temorario, is essentially another company's version of the Temorario. Right, And I can't wait till your review comes out. I'm not trying to pull these things out of you, but I have to know things like when I pushed the start button on the Temorario, I don't hear anything until I turned the Manatino to whatever the Italian word for sport is, And like when you push the button on the neu Valari, does it come alive? Is it? You know it's an extra two hundred thousand dollars, right, so does it make an extra two hundred thousand dollars worth a sound?
Speaker 3: Come back to me next week and I cannot self incriminate. I'll tell you offline, just the two of us.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's get into then our interview with Mauricio Reggiani. He is now making cars with Eccentrica, making his version of the Lamborghini Diablo.
Speaker 3: Mister Mauricio Reggiani, we are so happy to have you joining us. I feel like we've known you forever and we've got some great stories together through your work with Lamborghini, and now you're working on other new, exciting things. So it's it's been really nice to see this transition in the next phase of your life, and I know we both are really excited to hear about what you're working on now.
Speaker 1: It's clearly that yeah, we know each from a long long time with Lamborghini. I spend more of thirty years in Lambo, and after I retire, I stayed more or less for a couple of.
Speaker 4: Years, one years really relaxed to do nothing.
Speaker 1: And after you know, when for a life you made the car engine and something like this, there is something that you have in your in your brain.
Speaker 4: It is like a contamination.
Speaker 1: And after some discussion, when mister Columbini approached me because we had the previous experience in Lamborghini for race but also for a special car and something like this, and he explained me about the idea of the concept and the project was something, let me say, the first time, I was not, let me say, fully convinced about talking with him continuously and understanding what was the vision, what was the let me say, the dream of a mister Columbinia, of a China. I decided to move like a consultant, like advisor for them. Also due to the fact that intention of a Chainrica is to build this new history based on Lamborghini car and by chance, when I joined Lamborghini ninety five, I work in the second part of the Diablo era. But I have never the chance to work in the first parts of the Diablo era. And when Colombilli told me that the Donald Carr was exactly the first series of Diablo means from ninety one to ninety three. And so for me it was like to close the circle of Lamborghini because in this way, all model that was developed under my period was from zero to the end under my let me say, roof or under my cap. In term of responsibility, this was, let me say, the classic story that happened then convinced me to move to a chain.
Speaker 2: To me that actually makes real, real sense because you joined Lamborghini like at a turning point, right from the wild west of Gandini to the modernization of the Audi era. So and the Diablo also straddles that that that time, because the first generation had the five seven right, and it wasn't until Audi came in that they developed a six to zero and it was let's say, more reliable, more driveable, and so like, if there's a car that has room to improve, it's the first generation. And if there's a person who would be perfect to oversee it, it's you, because you came in when they started to make everything right again.
Speaker 4: Is that do I have you think, Yes, Matt, You're totally right.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: Let me say, let me admit that it was a lucky man because I entry in Lamborghini in the ninety five and they can't tell you that ninety five was really when I was just arrived, I was a shock because it was an old company. Small number of cars, more number of employee. Everything was old and it was a time when Chrysler already left. The company shareholder was the Indonesia shareholder, the son of Suarto, the dictator of not Medisia, Jakarta, Indonesia. And let me say more or less, there were no money for nothing. And this was the provocation that I received was in terms of to define the future and to start to work in a kind of surviving of Diablo, but thinking to what can be a second product that at this time was called baby Diablo. But let me say, without any kind of possibility in terms of money, in terms of investment and so.
Speaker 4: And what I received, luckily like a.
Speaker 1: Commitment from our shareholder was to investigate the possibility to catch from the market powertrain. I did with my team several investigations and after what ries up was the team, the best powertrain available on the market was the powertrain of the Audi eight because if you take you turn around of one hundred and eighty degree, you have engine that from the front going very differential going the front.
Speaker 4: And I said.
Speaker 1: With this we can save the huge quantity of money in terms of investment for power. From this stupid analysis started the contact with Audi, and from the contact with Aud the one year later we arrived to the famous meeting.
Speaker 4: In Detroit when.
Speaker 1: One representative of Audi told me, yes, we are ready to supply to Lamborghini the powertrain, but there is a condition that the bloud Lamborghini. And this was the change of my life, but also a change of Lamborghini because after Visa arrived, a Vidiablo GT arrived, a vid Diablo six point zero arrived, Mucelago and Oldwater was the story of today.
Speaker 3: We're talking with Marizio Reggiani, the former chief technical officer of Lamborghini and now with Eccentrica developing an incredible new B twelve roadster. More coming.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: We were talking with Marizio Reggiani, the former chief technical officer of Lamborghini, now with Eccentriccas I am so curious when you when you first came to Lamborghini and you were describing it as everything was old, it was small, there was no money. What's the core about Lamborghini that has made it able to survive and thrive?
Speaker 1: I think in there at this time in this area of modern and so at the end of what made the difference was every time the people that run around the company, people made really the difference are who were able to build first the meto, to maintain the meto, and after to create something that if you look from the.
Speaker 4: Eyes of the customer, was outstanding.
Speaker 1: This for me was at the end also what convinced me to move from Bugatti to Lamborghini. Clearly they offered me a much more prominent position in terms of responsibility.
Speaker 2: But they.
Speaker 1: Let me say at the end what I I when I arrived in Lamborghini, there were people that still where they say people that made Mura means they were really a kind of family that moved from Mura. They leave all the crisis, the Lamborghini cross, but at the end of trust in the brand and this is something that really create a kind of.
Speaker 4: Of resilience inside the company.
Speaker 1: Also in the crisis, also without money but with the with the credle that we can do something.
Speaker 4: And also the.
Speaker 1: First time that I remember when I moved to Audi to meet at this time Doctropevkin, that after it became CEO was the technical director of Audi, and they met him presenting something like this that was let me say, it's like David de Goria is the small that go to the giants in Inglo students and so. And if you ask me what was my ranking of possibility of success was one against a hundred or one against a thousands.
Speaker 4: But at the end, probably the.
Speaker 1: Mettle of Lamborghini was something that was well known also from the Torpilleke, from the Torpevkin, and all these people trust on us. Also let me say, we were fully aware about the capability and the possibility that the company have to develop in the future. I think they invest on the brand. At the time when I joined Lamborghini, imagine that we were more or less two hundred employee overall and we sold two hundred car. The break given point was one car for employee. I remember, let me say.
Speaker 4: We fight every day to build one car.
Speaker 1: That was what was necessary to have a break even of the company. Is that every day you work for your sustainability, not that you have a spare or you have something like this. And this create also probably what Howdy and THEVW group appreciate on us, the capacity to survive also in a condition that was really difficult year after years.
Speaker 2: By the way, Rittio, we were Hannah and I were talking last week just briefly about the Bugatti EBE one ten and if I'm not mistaken, the same guys from like Mura and Kuntash, stands Oni and obviously Gandini. And then the test Lauris.
Speaker 4: Lais Lauris arrive arrived much later.
Speaker 1: Lorris arrived when the car was already ready to test it when I joined.
Speaker 2: The point is there's a group of guys that went from Lamborghini to Bugatti. You started to work with them there and then you carry that linear back to Lamborghini, right and you're fortunately you're bought by Audi and who has been a leader who is in love with the brand and both Bugatti and Lamborghini. What how did or or what was the the real change though in quality, in in in durability, like what happened at Lamborghini for you to make cars that people could drive and that worked and then you could start selling instead of two hundred, you know, two thousand or or or such.
Speaker 1: I think what was for me one of the best approach of Audi is that they leave us for certain periods with really a number of Audi employee close to zero. In my in my team there were two people. One was Luke don' ke Walke, the chief designer, and the second one was the kids gain that was responsible you work in the concept development, in how the end he was Let me say, a guy that know very well all the let me say the activity about aluminium space free all the rest remain full Italian. They trust on us and in this time they give they they started to charge Lamborghini of rule of demanding of requests, but not from zero to one in one shot, step by step, step by step, step by step. And this allowed also us to learn not to be immediately dead under the weight of rule, process, procedure and so and in my experience, what we did, if you see the car moving from the ablogt till Diablo two thousands till Murcellago, is every car something more, every car learn something and improve the e quality, the reliability and also all the process that was necessary to build car in a way that can be repetitive.
Speaker 4: If you take.
Speaker 1: Diablo, one of the main problems was that every car must have beyond door. If you change the door, you will never able to close the door in a Diablo, if you if you started to take a mourcell Ago, all the doors are interchangeable. Means there is a process behind, there is a vision that is to offer much more products, to have much more repetible dimension tolerance and so and this to be much more credible.
Speaker 4: I think one of the.
Speaker 1: Of the most important points for us was also to be able in terms of quality and reliability in a long term strategy to take over Ferrari. That was our competitors. We went Ferrari have already two model line. We were only one model line, and this for us was really a difficult point because when you invest in something you have only one model line, you cannot invest in one with the other model you sustain the volume and vice versa. And when Audie allowed us to make the Vega yard or was really to be able to entry in a competition that was much more serious compared to the past. This was for me the really the weiknie of our development because we moved from one model to the models. In this way, the company was obliged to install process procedure, more people, more competence, and we also create a credibility trust in our alstoma that is fundamental. If you wanted to increase volume and increase let me say, a population that can buy your car.
Speaker 2: I have to say, Hannah to me. It's so interesting because my true love is a few miles away in Borgo Pentagali. Right, my true love is Dukati, and I have the last thirty years, I've bought about and owned about thirty twenty or thirty Ducati motorcycles, and I've seen the same kind of transition right as Audi took over Dukati. Maybe I don't know, ten years after they bought Lamborghini, they've done the same thing. And the bikes, which previously were infamous for being expensive and difficult to maintain and even difficult to ride, became not only much more reliable to now you know, better than maybe even a BMW like one of the most reliable bikes in the industry, but also much more rideable, much EASi year to go fast, much easier to control, and much more comfortable so it's funny hen I've seen the same transition at Jacari.
Speaker 1: I think matter is the process that out implemented in Dukati and in Lamborghini is a little bit similar.
Speaker 4: It's clearly that in.
Speaker 1: Lamborghini we talk about a car company that, let me say, support another car company. In Dukati was a little bit more difficult because you have a car company that must support a bike company. But I think also in this case what they did that was really smart. They take in account. Cloudy Dominical is a big friend of mine. He was before technical director of Dukati, and they give him the responsibility to make this kind of transition in a way that is a little bit.
Speaker 4: Different from Lamborghini because.
Speaker 1: For a car you have rule and you can say, are the same rule for the motor cycle.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: But my personal let me say, experience with du Kati was in the past. When you have really the all du Kati, you are obliged to have minimum one times bike down due to the due due to the electric system. This was one of the weak points, was one of the weak points of of.
Speaker 4: Of du Kati.
Speaker 1: Now reliability is I don't want to say like an Audi, but close to this means the process of the supplier, the way to develop is so robust that you can you can experience the car you cannot use without you have let me say, a doubt I will arrive or not. It's something completely different, is I think, and is not something where you arrive from the morning to the night.
Speaker 4: It's something that you need to do with.
Speaker 1: Process, With changing the approach. You start to change from engineering to the quality, to the production, to the seeds to after seas. You create a culture. And this culture made a difference and the this is for me, is the reason of the success of this company.
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask this, and this also sort of pivots off of Matt's point. You know, as we talk about making the cars easier to operate, more reliable, better build quality, et cetera, et cetera, did you have people back in those days grumbling about how the cars were getting too easy for the masses and they were because and the reason why I'm asking is, is there a certain point by when you don't want a car of this caliber, of this type of emotion to be just an easy piece of cake? Is there a balance there between engaging emotion and feeling.
Speaker 1: I think one is the answer. And is this the reason because for me exists restaurant. This is the let me see, this can be the final one. But it's clearly what you ask me is is everything My opinion start decades ago with the with the engine management. If you remember in the old car with the I don't know twelve body frotted. One of the main problem is to have the start of engine. And when engines start you never know how many cylinders run for a certain period of time when you accelerated you have in Airsia, when you release the pedal, you are still the car that is pulled out and so and was introduced engine management system, big improvement.
Speaker 4: After the same arrival with the gearbox.
Speaker 1: Not everybody was able to use a clutch, and in the in the US there was I remember when I was in a Mazeraati without without an automatic gearbox, no way to sell a biturbo, and we were obliged to do something in order to install this, and we were aware that this means to reduce emotion. After there was the compropise of a double clutch. That is something that gives emotion. But every way, let me say, everybody can use everybody can be like a Formula one driver with a double clutch, or the system that you have today with the rival also of the for example, of the electronic system like I don't know, you can have one drive excel fully electric. You have a car that do exactly what you ask on the steering, but you are never able to understand if there is a power that arrives from vengine of the left side or the right side or from thermodinami engine, is you the side on your balpha the best result of the car. This is super cool because everybody of us can perceive can achieve the best performance. It is also right that the more you are a good driver and more you want to perceive your limits, your ability, your mistake or you want to be proud of yourself. And this is for me, is where more and more people ask emotion asked to have a steering wheel with less service system because they want to perceive the asphalt when they are in the corner and they don't want it to have like a plastation steering wheel.
Speaker 4: They wanted to have.
Speaker 1: The understanding when you engage a gear and you perceive with the lever the reaction of the gear that you are of the synchronizer. These are something that became more luxury points. And at the end is not only the question to prove that you are a good driver, but is something that now in this era is completely disappear. And when something disappeared, became a luxury to have. And I think this is where a chain catch really a small area wherek and made a difference, because I think if I take a Diablo, if I was fully aware of the let me call.
Speaker 4: The problem of the Diablo.
Speaker 1: Problem of the Diablo was first serious, but until the ninety eight was the breaking. If you see the break with this break of the original Diablo or big like this, you have impression that is for a city car. Why because at this time technology was not so let me say, ready to offer something like this.
Speaker 4: We were at the time of the Chrisler.
Speaker 1: Price was important and you know purchasing department saying, oh we need to spend less and everything is compromised. The same was for the stiffness of a chassis. Stiffness was not sure the best as possible. And some other components like inside the car, the cluster. In the first Diablo, you have a cluster that is so high that you are probably you are able to look outside me, the cluster in front of my feet, and a china. Taking all these points, trying to give you much more emotional of the original Diablo, improve the weakness points, creating a car that also new technology that probably was not available at the time of the Diablo today can be available. Are conditioning much powerful, the stelling will much more direct on the will tire that as sure a state of the art. We increase the front track and the ear track. Really to create something that can amplify the emotion of the ninety in something that respect the culture of the DNA of the Lamborghini. But adapting to the year twenty twenty, twenty twenty five and six. This was for me is also a trend that we need to take in account because people, certain kind of people don't want only to buy super emotionalized car thousand dollars power, two thousand dollars power, but they want also to buy the emotion and more. More emotion you want and more. You needed to create a direct contact between the driver, the car and the asphalt.
Speaker 3: For our listeners, we can talk about this. You will be unveiling in Mono ray. Yes, the V twelve Roaster, which is the follow up of the Diablo that you've done. And this seems like the perfect evolution, which also indicates that there's an appetite for exactly what you're describing.
Speaker 1: I think in this I want to be more provocative. I will tell also to the to the Monterey. When in Lamborghini we did the Diablo Roster, I think nobody can say, oh, wow, is a sexy car. Is a car where was cutted the roof and the create a kind of pickup in the ear to store. When we decided to make the change roster, I told, for me, we have a big opportunity really to make a car based on the Diablo that is can be let me say a kind of visionary of the car that was a Venana roster. The roster means something really the top of what can be a sexy car.
Speaker 4: And you will say that the Diablo Roster is a car that.
Speaker 1: It's difficult to say, wow, I recognize a car of the ninety of Lamborghini like this.
Speaker 4: This is a car that for me is.
Speaker 1: Much more provocative of the Bucella Roster that was outstanding, no roof, everything extreme, everything like a dark glass is.
Speaker 4: In front of the eyes of.
Speaker 1: A driver and the car that really call you to go with the airing the wind and only to have emotion.
Speaker 4: It's not a car for a daily use, no way, we don't want to do. This is a car that must give emotion, emotion, emotion.
Speaker 2: But it's I mean, you've apparently re engineered more than three thousand parts. I mean, I imagine much bigger disc brakes, right, I imagine doors that always close. What the what do you think were the most difficult parts? What are the most important parts that you re engineered. Did you work with you know, Brembo. Did you work with Lamborghini and Winkler?
Speaker 4: No, okay, we work la Lamborghini.
Speaker 1: Let me say, is aware that we did this, but we don't have support from us Santagata.
Speaker 4: We is a different business, and it's correct.
Speaker 1: It's clearly that we took from the Diablo a selection of what was something that for us was not. Let me say, the best suspension. We engineering completely the suspension. We increase front track and rear track, all suspensions. All the dumper are new, our semi adaptive dumper break we already mentioned, it's completely new. We put attraction control system because you have a huge quantity of power and you needed control on the wheel, on the on the slip of the wheel. We put If you remember the first diablo was was still with the spark plug with a coil, and after you have a distributor for twelve cylinder and this created a lot of trouble because you have sometimes the spark of a goal to two spark plugs due to the fact that the distributor was big like and you have twelve pin inside. We install an engine management system with a single coil with an s U and with.
Speaker 4: A small body frottle.
Speaker 1: If you draw, if you have experienced to draw one of the first Diablo, one of the main problem was the pendulum because if you touch a little bit the accelerator, you have a car that moved forward too much. You release and you have ve inertia that block and you started to make like this with the with your head and you are like if a stupid driver. We did with a small body frottle that react much more progressive. Is electronic means don't is the what you do with your feet is filtered and you have something that is much more in line with what is your wishes compared to what is the reaction.
Speaker 4: That you have in the body Frotto. And you do this, you have.
Speaker 1: A progressivity in the engine that is fantastic. On top of this, we have changed the ratio of the gearbox and we put one gear more. Why because in the ninety one of the most important parameters that prece used to judge the car was the zero one hundred kilometer four hour, zero sixty two miles. And at this time with the clutch, one of the big problems was not the acceleration, but was the shifting time. Based on the ability of a driver, you can have a shifting time that can be zero point two second or something like zero point three second, and really a lot if you consider in acceleration. And for this reason, the majority of the supersport car constructor made the first gear that was able to achieve zero from zero to one hundred to one kilometer for hour, from zero to sixty two point one miles for hour. In this way, you don't need to shift, you don't need to open the clutch and close the clutch.
Speaker 4: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: But what means is that when you run with your car, for example, in a traffic jamp, you have the first gear that is so long that it is difficult to handle.
Speaker 4: And to manage.
Speaker 1: Is you never arrive to the moments where you need to shift to second gear. For this reason, we have changed all the gearbox. We have changed the ratio between the gear and we have added the sixth gear that at the time of the diable was only five gears the gearbox in order to have the right distance between every ratio and to give a much more driveability to the car if you are in a normal traffic or if you are also on the track. These are the let me say, is something that when you sit in a car you perceive immediately in terms of driveability.
Speaker 3: Can you give us a sense of what it feels like to drive this car and where is it happiest. I mean talk to us about you know, speeds, what type of road like, what is the ideal way to drive this car? Obviously it's not a daily driver like you said.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want also to say that due to the effect that the number of the car is so small, is no sense to think to drive on the track. Is not a car for a track day. Also, if from powerful and from a chassis point of view, you can do I remember last year I enjoy a lot in the forest a longer Monterey where theoretically is not possible, but it's where you perceive elasticity of the engine, the elasticity of the gearbox means and let me say the sound. Sound is something that California decide that to let me say to limit it in a way that is really a lot due to what is a restaur model you are is mandatory for Resto model to Molgate with the rule of the year when the car was put in a market means I am allowed to have the sound regulation of an It means I can have evolve where I open the flap in the muffler, I can have a decibel that really go through my body and you perceive you have the decibel, the vibration in your stomach. That is something that more and more disappear now today you turbo YouTube new regulation you to the OPF filter. What come out from the engine from the supersport card is something that where it's difficult to perceive. If you have a six cylinder, a cylinder, ten cylinder plus cylinder in the chain trica and mainly in the roster, you will have it's like to have in front of you an orchestra that play a lot in terms of music, in terms of vibration and in terms of emotion.
Speaker 3: I know Matt has more questions. I just want to follow up. Are you able to share how many of these will you make? And what type of buyer is this? Is this a Lamborghini collector or is this someone who has a lot of other cars and now they're sort of dabbling and is this a singer owner?
Speaker 2: For instance, for Coop.
Speaker 1: We was designed a nineteen car and the majority is already sold, and for Roster will be other nineteen. I think it's clearly that there are some because at the end they I think for collector is something that the main issue is every time to trust on the products, and they think one of my responsibilities also to create a credibility around the products.
Speaker 4: Is not a product that.
Speaker 1: Is done only to put on a stage on a pebble or a quail, butter really to give a car.
Speaker 4: To customers that if you want to use, can use.
Speaker 1: I apply more or less all the process that we did I did in Lamborghinia at the time of the few of the contauch Venen or if you remember, in some case we talked about three car, nine car, sixty car, eighty car. And due to this process we are confidence that our customer can really enjoy the use of the car. Also if they use for a coffee and car only the four to go to promenade or something like this.
Speaker 4: But you know better me.
Speaker 1: What is important is to guarantee the functionality is what in Italian we say to do bella figura. You want that when you go with a car, you appear really like somebody that.
Speaker 4: Buy a piece of art, a piece.
Speaker 1: Of history and something that is really super exclusive. This is I think one of the most important points. And in terms of customer, I see Lamborghini customer, but I already saw also people that came from other brand are collector. We are collectors that really are catching right to catching, Exclusivity means a small volume, special produce, and I think the main point is really to arrive and to give credibility, credibility and trust that what they buy is not a single opera, but is the first of a process that we release much more products.
Speaker 3: And more coming up with Marizio Reggiani right after this, and we're back with Marizia Reggiani, the head of eccentrica making the new V twelve Roadstar.
Speaker 2: I have a couple of questions about changes at Lamborghini that came under your watch, So I want to ask first about my first time driving the evented or in in earnest was at Barcelona, Cataloonia when the SV came out. I was lucky enough. It was for me, you know, a weekend I'll never forget. And one of the coolest things for me about the evented door a small thing, but you have to lift this red cover before you can push the ignition. It's like you're going weapons hot in a fighter jet. You know who came up with that, and you know because it continues today. But then it made a lot more sense because it ignited this powerful V twelve and gave this incredible bark of the engine and it was an amazing experience.
Speaker 1: The idea came when we did the before a vented Or we did the Reventon. Reventon was the first few off of Lamborghindi and if you remember, was done like to copy a military airplane fighter jet in the interior where were a dashboard with all the the representation digital. It was the first time that probably we were one of the first OEM to make the digital copy and we put several points that was similar to airplane.
Speaker 4: And from this car started to think to.
Speaker 1: Have this flat that is a kind that normally you have in the jet are for the let me say, to fight or to fire something. And we decide that the start of our engine must be like a big gun that started to fight.
Speaker 4: And we decided during this phase of project where they the team.
Speaker 1: Of the designer was really was one of the best teams because there were Philip Popperini, we were Manfred fit Gerald.
Speaker 4: That was responsible of the center.
Speaker 1: Still at this time I was the CEO, and we started to collect this kind of idea, this kind of provocation also, and I think with the Venta door we create exactly this.
Speaker 4: Baton like the center of the car is. Let me say, this is only for adult to turn and to push. And this I think from a Venta door on we use on on Ura can on Urus was used also on the.
Speaker 1: On the veelto and I think I will, I hope, I wish Lamborghini will continue to use because it's something that represented in some case also the arrow of a Lamborghini brand.
Speaker 2: But you know, so I just had the Temporario, which I eventually fell in love with, but it took me a while because the first time I got in the car, I lifted the red flap and I pushed the button and nothing happened. It just turned on the computer.
Speaker 4: I was I was already attire. One of the other things that.
Speaker 2: Struck me and that I'll never forget about driving an eventa door is the clutch. And some people, some other auto journalists complained about not being you know, a dct or, but for me, it was like a violent gear change that really brought up so much emotion, and I wonder if that was a conscious choice.
Speaker 4: Is the rude gearshift amazing?
Speaker 1: When I when I did the project of event, I have a big discussion inside the Lamborghini, but was inside the w group because this was the time where every new car must have a double clutch and start a big discussion, and I was obliged to convince the double clutch wait more or less ten to twelve kilo more of the gearbox that we invented the ESL And from a Tannel point of view, the packaging was so big that I give example, if you look at what you did in the Bugatti. In the Bugatti Veyron, there is a double clutch. If you see, the tunnel of the Bugatti is a meter and the car cannot be a gild, cannot be a supersport card and and they have several discussions and after I we decided Lamborghini to made this kind of patent. That is the ESL is the name of a gearbox of the Aventedle where we try to reduce as much as possible the shifting time. Using this characteristic that you moved to gear at the same time really risky because if for every kind of reason you engage both, you destroy the car. But in this way we were able to achieve at the time of the avented or a shifting time that was fourteen eighteen millisecond was the time of the shifting of the Formula one at the time that we launch FI.
Speaker 2: And with this.
Speaker 1: I was able to convince doctor w Intercoon that was the CEO of the vdW group, that this can be an innovation for Lamborghini. When we did the first launch in walle Lunga, the world premiere, I received some several criticisms from journalists about this shifting because it was too much. When we present that was improved the management of the clutch and reduce the weight of the car.
Speaker 4: Everybody said, wow, this is a number in the back.
Speaker 1: We wanted to have this kind of emotion and when we did SVG, we improve again this kind of peak of energy that arrive in your back because this is exactly what customer wants. It's not a car to make a comfort trip, is a car to give emotion. If we want to surprise somebody, you you you ask your friend to sit in a passenger seat, you put in a course a mode, you made a launch control with an Aventa door, SV or SVG, and the guy that is seated close to you, we'll come with the eyes out of the face.
Speaker 4: This is emotion.
Speaker 2: I mean, I absolutely love it. And for me, you know, Hannah and I we drive different cars every week and people always ask us what's your favorite car? And for me, I always go back to the eventa door and there's never been anything to replace that. I also happened to love the Hurricane and enable of mine. I gave a ride when I had the Strato and he immediately said I want to buy it because of the sound from the V ten behind his head. I recently gave him a ride in the Temio and he said, it doesn't do it for me. The sound isn't there. I'm not going to pay, you know, three four hundred thousand dollars for this for this kind of sound. It's like a turbo diesel. And I wonder if you think, Rizzio, do those two cars, the eventa Door and the Hurricane do they recommend? Do they represent the peak of this, you know, post analog generation of Lamborghini's.
Speaker 1: For me, it's difficult to answer because if you ask to a father if a song are good or not, and I have difficult I can tell you that for me, the last Ura can Vet we did the and there is a story behind the Ura can Serrato, you know, in what way born the Sperato. It was my my lead engineering decided to make to organize a gift for my birthday. I think it was a sixty birthday, and they created a kind of mule of the Uraca without to tell me nothing that was lift up with balloon tire, the scoop on the top and the increase of the of the of the fender and blah blah blah made with rivets.
Speaker 4: Really a pro to a car made, let me say in secret.
Speaker 1: And for my birthday they organized a test in in Ardot and I was really disappointed, as it's my birthday. You obliged me to come in Nerdoux for a session of test. Okay, I moved to Nordeaux and at this sign they when I arrived, there was okay, the class a cake for a celebration and said, our gift, like a team, is to enjoy this car. And there was what after we called Strada Bianca that was off road on a gravel up and down in the middle of the forest. They put in some place full of water, really full of water, and they organized I don't know three four hours with this black mule that I turned around like a child, and when I finished, I was so impressive. So let me say back to the child that I say, okay, now we will invite at first the board of Lamborghini and after the board of Audi. Bard of Lamborghini was wow. They became child when right the board of Audi they told us to do it. Wow nice and this is in what way born something that.
Speaker 4: Didn't exist sometimes is and when you ask me.
Speaker 1: If, I like if if for me, these are really parts of my life is something that I address to myself.
Speaker 4: And and really unique.
Speaker 1: If you ask me what is the best car emotionally, Serrato is outstanding. If you ask me in terms of performance, is the performance the the the Urican performance is a car that I when they present me the project of the analysystem that after was put it also in SVJ of a Venta or they present calculation. They present everything with this active aerodynamic and they say, I don't see on theorics. Big value means that the project is a stop. Again, we were in Nerdoux. They prepare for me sampleto type into tested and normally when I'm in Nerdoux, I have every time I reference the time of me personally that he's not the faster, but I know exactly and looking this I can say a car is easier, faster or so. And when I finished some lepl with this car, with our Johney, you are two three seconds faster of what you are normally possible. I drew on the same way as No, No No, and after I took I asked where the chrono because sometimes you know the chrono of the car, and I was really faster, and they said about what you did in this car, and my engineering say, we did what you cancer. We put the project, we put a process, a small proto and these are the real benefit that you have. And this was a system that after was keeping the Uracan performance and after SVJ and was the Syste and that allowed the car to make the lab record that life only to say, these are something that links you to the.
Speaker 4: Car.
Speaker 1: And for me, I really like a baby a part. I have two real daughter And there several number of cars that.
Speaker 4: Everyone some.
Speaker 1: Let me say story behind that cannot be let me say explain to everybody, but our story that made the car really unique. Really, you are obliged to be in love with this kind of experience.
Speaker 3: Thank you for sharing that with us. It's been so good to have you on. Thank you for your time. And I could just listen to these stories all day long. I feel like we're getting great insights here about the history of these cars. That does it For this week's show, remember to follow and subscribe to h Pursuit on Apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you listen. You can also send us your comments, email us at hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net.
Speaker 2: And check out Hannah's columns and stories on Bloomberg dot com and in the Bloomberg Business app. Go there for car reviews, events and stories that you won't find anywhere else. Find it all at bloomberg dot com, slash Pursuit, slash autos.
Speaker 3: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott. We'll be back in your podcast feed again next week