Speaker 1: You are listening to What in the Winkler and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the next episode.
Speaker 3: Of What in the Winkler with my.
Speaker 1: Two guests, Max Winkler and Henry Winkler. Hi, I just want to say, I really don't think that there's like a family podcast out there.
Speaker 2: Are king No, I'm not joking.
Speaker 4: Is there probably one million?
Speaker 2: Not one that I know of.
Speaker 1: I mean have sibling revelry, which is amazing, but that's siblings. They don't have like a with like all the family. Like, it's not like there's like a family.
Speaker 4: I love how you drink water, just full mouth over the spout like my daughter. Like it's a hot day in the forties and you're drinking out of a hose. You suck it down.
Speaker 5: When what can I ask you a question?
Speaker 4: I'm over caffeinated.
Speaker 5: You are okay because you come here with your beautiful wife and your baby. Don't girl on the weekends. I never see this.
Speaker 4: Personality because I want to be on camera, gotcha.
Speaker 5: I'm with you, okay.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking about starting on Instagram and you should.
Speaker 5: You should because you have a lot to say.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you right now. He he is on it. Today, he is, he.
Speaker 5: Is, I am prepared.
Speaker 4: I want to get real. Let's get real and like, let's talk about this. I don't want to talk about the ski trip. I want to talk about what we didn't even talk about.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, we didn't tell that story.
Speaker 4: We can that story. Wait, a ski trip changed my mind. Let's do it. You go first. Wow.
Speaker 2: One time my dad took Max and I.
Speaker 3: To where were we?
Speaker 5: We were in New Mexicano.
Speaker 3: We're in New Mexico and Zanta Fe.
Speaker 4: And Mom passed on the family day.
Speaker 2: She didn't want to go on to New Mexico, didn't.
Speaker 5: She respect fancy should we go along?
Speaker 2: No, No, we're just talking about this, just the squad valley, Okay.
Speaker 1: So we went away and we were driving, I think, to a reservation right to see.
Speaker 3: You were taking us to see.
Speaker 4: I remember you were very connected to the Native American story.
Speaker 1: You were because you had taken Jed to see the Hopeye reservation. So you were so excited, and I don't know, something happened and you pulled over on the side of the highway and you got out of the car.
Speaker 5: Yes, I did buy like a crazy mistake life.
Speaker 3: And Max and I locked the doors yes, you did.
Speaker 5: You were on the side of the road for about a half an hour.
Speaker 2: And we were laughing so hard.
Speaker 5: It was so funny and it was so cold, and I couldn't get back in the car.
Speaker 4: I think we saw Geronimo on that trip. Who I think we saw the movie Geronimo in Santa Fe on that trip. That's not very important to start. You'd love West Study, Okay, Wes Study is great, one of my favorite actors.
Speaker 5: He was just in that wonderful series Reservation. He was.
Speaker 4: I just rewatched Last Mohigans and I remember that at a very early age, you got me a signed headshot from West Study. Yeah, it meant a great deal to me.
Speaker 5: I have to say that that movie, that actor, uh, just became like my symbols.
Speaker 4: I remember coming home from school one day and hearing the soundtrack blasting from the house, and I tracked the source of it, and you were sitting on a small stool by yourself in my room blasting it and doing a little jig with your feet. And I remember thinking, at a very early age, something else must be going on here. But here's what's interesting about this podcast. Here's what's interesting about this podcast. You ready for him. Are you ready for it?
Speaker 5: And I'm sitting on a on a stool.
Speaker 4: Three pm on a school day. No one in the world has ever thought that you would be hosting a podcast and that we would be talking about West Study on it, So we've broken the universe. No one study is exactly so that's why this is interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll look him up when we get when we're down.
Speaker 5: I believe he's Native American.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Bless West Studio.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to know. I'm excited. I can't wait to get to know him. How would you describe the dynamic between Max and I?
Speaker 5: I would I would say ninety nine percent love and then one percent.
Speaker 1: You make him insane, sane, he makes me insane to ok we have gotten into.
Speaker 4: Full full Also it's also also I make her insane.
Speaker 1: We get into we've gotten into like full, yes, full this fight, I have had to hold him around his waist and hold his arms to his waist so that he could not go after you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I remember twice that it really happened. I remember once really happened when Matt Dines was over. Did you talk about me trying to push you on the stairs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about that a few did you.
Speaker 4: Talk about when you told me but.
Speaker 2: The girl that you had a crush on I didn't like you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she did, but she did by the way, by the way, she's never settled down.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: And I grabbed you by the arms.
Speaker 2: And I think you were sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said something I don't know even were being annoying, and I was like, and by the way, she'll never like you back or something.
Speaker 4: She did like me, by the okay, And I bought her a chrome Heart's ring, probably a little too early in the court ship.
Speaker 3: I want to say something.
Speaker 1: Chrome Heart's Ace really really wants that for back. It's thirteen hundred dollars for a pair of sweatpants, Like wow, I almost passed.
Speaker 5: No, No, I can get your pair of sweatpants and we'll just print chrome heart on it.
Speaker 1: I was shook. And you we've talked about that. I'm not great with money, and I was shook. To my court you're not.
Speaker 5: Okay. Now we're keeping it real.
Speaker 2: We're keeping it real.
Speaker 4: To it wasn't that real.
Speaker 5: So you did. We went right from you left me outside in the cold, locked out.
Speaker 1: Now, so our relationship so our relationship is definitely like ninety nine point nine. Also, I feel like it's only gotten better as we've.
Speaker 5: We'll tell you what I have seen over the years. The one thing is Max is amazingly wise. He is wise naturally. I'm telling you it is like cosmically wise. And I have seen him walk around our living room in this house when you are distraught, you are filled with tears, and him telling you everything he could think of in order to calm you down.
Speaker 2: Would you say, it's often that I'm distraught?
Speaker 4: And do you think we call that Tuesday? I think we'd call that Monday before lunch. Oh god, I think we call that Thursday at the farm shop between seven and four twelve at night.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: It's okay.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like.
Speaker 1: There was some sort of So there's three of us, but Jed was gone at college, you know by the time I was nine and Max was six, and I'm going to have him on to tell his side and his version. But would you say that do you think that you and Mom, to the best of your ability, treated Max and I the same.
Speaker 5: The all three of you.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, but Max.
Speaker 1: Is here, so yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I mean we're all different kids. But did you have the same rules for us?
Speaker 5: All we had the same rules, and I have to say that each of you followed the rules differently. This is the amazing thing about being a parent. You can have multiple children pretty much from the same person, and they are completely different being I have that right now. Children come onto the earth fully who they are, and all we can do is guide them. We can't, you know, really, they have their own nature. Itazing and once you submit to that, parenting is a lot easier.
Speaker 3: So would you say we're treated the same.
Speaker 5: I think you were treated as best as we could the same. Remember, each of you were so different. Like, Okay, you had a curfew. You had to be home at a certain time. Every time you missed your curfew, you lost ten minutes. So eventually you went out, got all ready, You went out at eight o'clock, and you were back at eight fifteen.
Speaker 2: Right, and Max never missed a curfew.
Speaker 5: Max missed curfews, but he always made sure he called to say he was going to be late, which was the rule.
Speaker 3: So did I Max, Like would get drunk in the closet.
Speaker 5: Max would get my curfew that way, Okay, can I just say that is something I never did that. No, you know you're you're a wonderful person. You're a wonderful daughter, especially now in your forties. You are so caretaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, you didn't talk about that caretaking.
Speaker 3: You don't think I'm a caretaker.
Speaker 4: I think you are.
Speaker 5: Good at that, very good, very lovely, very thoughtful.
Speaker 4: What do you want, Like, what's the point?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think, like, what was the most important thing that dad, that and Mom instilled in us as siblings?
Speaker 4: Siblings?
Speaker 1: I think Mom and Dad we both didn't have a close relationship with their siblings, and so it was always very important for you. That is true too, for us to always remember that, like, that is true to stay close.
Speaker 4: I only remember having a lot of fun with you, yeah, and playing games and thinking you and your friends were so cool and wanting to we were be around you.
Speaker 5: You know what I love when we went out into the world.
Speaker 1: When he says he loves my friends, it's because he slept with more than half of them, just so you.
Speaker 5: Know, Okay, it's a man of taste.
Speaker 4: So never I met a friend is always.
Speaker 3: I didn't like It's really true.
Speaker 2: So gross.
Speaker 5: All right, But when we went out, as when we went out, and let's say we were in a department store, I always let you go and do what you needed to do and be around and take a walk. But when I said it was time, we had to go now and we had to leave together, you guys always listen.
Speaker 4: And we knew that because you would do your little whistle.
Speaker 3: We have a family whistle. To your family whistle, No I can't.
Speaker 4: It was like this, that's exactly right, and you would hear it and you'd be at the department store and be like, you gotta go.
Speaker 5: We had a family whistle. Yes, one of the few things I inherited from my father.
Speaker 2: Got the family whistle. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And also remember what Dad would do when we would hold hands.
Speaker 4: Oh, you would always do that.
Speaker 1: He'd squeeze your hand three times, I love you, and then you'd squeeze it back I love you too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it made me so happy. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The family whistle just brought me like to my knees. I totally that is so funny.
Speaker 5: And thank you for being able to whistle. Yeah I can't do that anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my great pleasure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but let me ask you a question. Max. When you directed your first movie, Ceremony, and we did press together, you said in the media one of your biggest problems growing up was that you were loved too much.
Speaker 4: I said that to the media.
Speaker 5: Yes, you did.
Speaker 4: All twelve people who covered that movie.
Speaker 5: I believe that.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, everything is great, and everything is Yes, then it's hard for me to accept.
Speaker 3: You're okay. You're okay.
Speaker 4: No, I know you're really I just wanted to.
Speaker 5: Know if why, or what was the genesis of that, because let's get real. I said to you, if I did it again, I would do it exactly the same way. And you were punished, but you you didn't require a lot of punishment.
Speaker 4: And to be fair, whenever you spanked me, you always asked me to spank you.
Speaker 5: Back my god, Oh my god. Okay, that's great.
Speaker 4: You want to get real.
Speaker 5: Let's get real. So let's get real. When did I spank you?
Speaker 4: Never wanted to be spanked right back.
Speaker 5: Never did I spank you. But anyway, let's go.
Speaker 4: I don't remember why I said that. I was twenty five and other movie coming.
Speaker 1: By the way, that's exactly what you've always said that I thought I was criticized too much, and you felt you were you were not criticized enough.
Speaker 4: I've always looked for validation from colder parental figures, and I think that was because I was in such a warm house and honestly, well, can I see the things I've seen. I'll take it all.
Speaker 5: Right, So let me let me start anew and just say you're an asshole.
Speaker 4: I love you, and I feel really grateful for the example that you set as a father and a provider, and I wouldn't change anything now and I we are the way we are because of that. And if I said that, I probably I don't know why I said that I was twenty.
Speaker 3: You've said it many times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've said that. Not for a second time, no, but it.
Speaker 5: Has always I've always wanted to really get to the root of that because I didn't understand it, and I understand it.
Speaker 4: I think I was over praised. I think like that's possible, and it's not.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's never enough praise for me. Just so you both know, Yeah, but you know what.
Speaker 5: I think also, that is part of your own nature, you know. It's the lack of self I felt growing up. I know where it came from. But I know that feeling, so I know how you feel, Zoe.
Speaker 4: But that's interesting because it's it's all part of the inner generational chain, because I think you really are determined to make your kids feel so seen and heard because you didn't feel seen in her.
Speaker 3: That's not true.
Speaker 1: I actually did feel very seen and heard by mom, and I always felt like I really I felt beyond scene and beyond herd and I felt but I felt sometimes misunderstood because I'm so.
Speaker 3: Sensitive and emotional.
Speaker 1: I felt like sometimes I wasn't taken seriously with what I was feeling, or I have sometimes a hard time explaining what I'm feeling without getting sort of like lost in.
Speaker 3: The emotion of it all.
Speaker 5: You know what I want to say, that that is in your core?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm just say I'm a very sensitive person and I don't have the ability. One thing about me is that you always know exactly what I'm thinking, so you never have to guess I hate that feeling and so, and for better or for worse, You'll never I'll never You'll never think like, oh, is she upset with me?
Speaker 3: Because I'll be very clear that I am.
Speaker 5: I don't do well with people putting a spin on their answer, and it is not directly clearly exactly yes or no or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I definitely felt seen and heard by Mom and Dad. I just felt a little bit misunderstood, and my version of like what was the truth was my version of the truth, and so I just felt like sometimes I was misunderstood.
Speaker 5: But you know what a parent you there, there are so many things coming at you so quickly, so often that you you have to pick and choose. Yeah, you know, and sometimes, oh my godness, Max just reached over our couch and gave his sister a kiss on the films. All right, I forgot we're modern.
Speaker 4: But I guess the thing I'm thinking about is who cares?
Speaker 5: Who cares about? What?
Speaker 3: What does wrong with you?
Speaker 5: We're talking about Max?
Speaker 4: I feel or heard like you had everything, Max, Like, what are we talking about? It's not it's a difference, and like you loved like they did the best they could.
Speaker 5: Max.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm not saying yeah, so you felt too praised? You had everything? The most fucking thing I've ever heard nine times in the media.
Speaker 5: About it, but we are talking about it, and I have to tell you right now, your daughter is becoming a self. I mean, her personality is emerging, and it's.
Speaker 4: Because I don't praise her that she has such a good personality.
Speaker 2: You don't praise her, no, praise her all.
Speaker 4: I don't raise her. I praise her when she does things deserving of praise every three or four minutes. When she does things deserving of praise, are you praise I can't tell her just joking, of course I praise her. I love her.
Speaker 5: But like, also, like what I'm saying, do you understand that people who are going on are having exactly the same thoughts or problems or conversation And he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't understand because he just told me on the prior episode last week that he actually doesn't give a fuck about like saying hello to people or do things like that because because no, no, no.
Speaker 5: But he is, like.
Speaker 4: I disagree with that. I don't think I have a d d oh, yeah's on film.
Speaker 5: I don't have to say he leaned across and gave his sister a kiss.
Speaker 4: But like, I just like what you Let's not talk about being like not seen or heard greatly?
Speaker 5: Okay, let's what would.
Speaker 3: Because would you like to talk about Max?
Speaker 4: Because talk about the spankings.
Speaker 1: You are unable to get into the real thing about life, and you say you try to be funny and you talk about this.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's get into the real stuff. I just like, I feel like I'm guessing that people on the podcast, your listeners know already that you felt misunderstood as a.
Speaker 2: Kid, and we've never actually talked about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, great.
Speaker 1: Also, I want to just say something that for this is my experience, and so it's what if and if I I think that it is really important to say, like, yes, I did have more than I could ever hope for in the world, and I still feel sometimes like I don't know, I don't feel good enough about myself.
Speaker 3: I think that's like a really right. Oh, thank you so much. That's interesting to you. Okay, guys, we found something that's interesting to Max Winkler.
Speaker 1: God bless very Okay, great, great, oh perfect, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: Here it is. It's go go back to exactly what we said. No matter what your experience is, your core doesn't always filter what is happening in the real world with what is happening emotionally in your mind. The way your mind is wired.
Speaker 3: Oh so in life.
Speaker 1: You're constantly like, if I do this, if I get this job, if I lose this amount of weight, if I marry that guy, I'll feel good. And sometimes it is only it is only in yourself, that's right.
Speaker 4: It's an unfillable hole, that's right. I think that not.
Speaker 5: You, everybody for everyone, everybody, not.
Speaker 4: You, Zo. There are parts of you that are an unfillable hole.
Speaker 5: But it is. But Max, sometimes I you are so lost in the universe.
Speaker 4: Prove it. I'm not lost. There are things about me that are the way I am. It drives my wife crazy. I forget to close drawers. I am who I am?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think you know what I am? Who I am is an excuse. I think you can say I am.
Speaker 4: Saying I'm trying the best I can is and.
Speaker 3: Didn't say that word.
Speaker 1: Always never said that. I don't ever say that. No, because mom told me that she hates that.
Speaker 2: What Oh no, wait, my mom.
Speaker 3: Says that all the time. My husband told me, Bob.
Speaker 5: Told me hold my fingernails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, guys, you know what long fingernails.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 5: I've seen It's been maybe the shade. You haven't seen the shade I mean, it's long, it's been something.
Speaker 2: It's been, it's been a new it's been my vibe for a quite some time now.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. Anna who does my nails, is so incredibly talented and I am obsessed with her. Anyways, I'll take that as accomplishment.
Speaker 5: That is a wonderful thing. The when you actually see the people in front of you, whoever they are doing your nails, doing your hair, serving you dinner, When you actually see them there are it's just human beings are just an incredible thing. I am here first. I'm so happy I'm on this earth.
Speaker 3: Me too, I'm thrilled, thank God.
Speaker 1: So what I was saying was that I think it's important to always talk if we're talking about, like talking about the truth is that people assume things are one way, just by the way you look at them, or just by the way you look, or just by the life that people think.
Speaker 3: You live, right, and it's important.
Speaker 1: I also agree saying I'm doing the best I can is overused and means nothing, because you can always do better. And I do feel like, for all, I have a million faults and I have a million shortcomings, but I really do try to work on myself and to do better. I really do.
Speaker 4: And you don't have a million faults or everyone does, not a million, not a million, and I have.
Speaker 5: Both of you have done extraordinary work on improving yourself as beings on the earth.
Speaker 2: You have to you constantly have to change a while to get there.
Speaker 5: I started ten.
Speaker 4: Years got into therapy a little late, I think ten years.
Speaker 3: Ago, but you gave us the biggest gift.
Speaker 2: You started me at seven for therapy, very very early, seven years old. Doctor barks at.
Speaker 5: That time a chunk of Swiss cheese with a lot of holes, and I am working on becoming a chunk of Cheddar.
Speaker 1: Used to describe me as a cupcake that wasn't fully baked inside that I was still like a little raw or like a turtle without its shell. Because everything, because everything really just like made me feel. I feel everything so deeply, and I think that there was like that is a muscle that you have to exercise, muscle trying to not take everything, you know.
Speaker 5: Rowing some people who literally cut off all of that feeling. Yeah, and then they are they are last in that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you would have benefited from some tough love.
Speaker 1: I think I have tough love. Mom, is very tough but for you, but for.
Speaker 5: Me, huh oh the meow turned out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't really, I don't.
Speaker 1: Tough love doesn't work for me, and it doesn't work for my some one of like a few of my kids. It just I don't feel like that. Also, I think is a myth. I mean, yes, if I was like a drug addict or something.
Speaker 5: But likes but it works specifically.
Speaker 1: And and some people, yeah, and some people that's what they need. And clearly that's what you needed more of. That's not what I needed more of.
Speaker 5: But it never dawned on me. I never that he needed tough love. All I knew he didn't.
Speaker 2: He's just fine.
Speaker 3: He needed nothing else.
Speaker 5: He could never have been tougher than I was because of what I went.
Speaker 1: I would never, by the way, if I were like that, if I was tough on my kids, they would feel So it's funny because actually last night I Jewles had his championship baseball game.
Speaker 5: I was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, you.
Speaker 2: Were right, and he last.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he he played.
Speaker 2: He played amazing in the last game, this nice game.
Speaker 5: Played. He made two outs, fielding the ball and throwing the unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And he hit amazing, but but it was the other So the coaches are coaches we've never had before, and and they were tough. And one of them was extremely tough, and his son was on the team.
Speaker 5: With the kid with the man with the red sweaterir No.
Speaker 1: The other one, and he was very tough on his son. And I watched the whole thing and it was funny because I was watching it because Jewels.
Speaker 3: Sometimes Jewles is.
Speaker 1: Very emotional, and so when he makes a mistake or when when they lost the game, he was really sad. He was crying, and I wanted him to just like make the mistake during the game and move on and just like go on to the next play. But he gets emotional. And I was watching this man speak to his son and it was like very very, very tough, and the kid was still crying and the kids still felt bad.
Speaker 3: And then I thought to.
Speaker 1: Himself, like, what does that do, right, He's seeing it and it's not doing the job.
Speaker 2: It's not making the kids stop crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not making the kid.
Speaker 1: It's just actually making the kid feel worse for feeling whatever it is that he's feeling. There's somewhere in the middle, Yeah, there's somewhere in the middle, you know, it's not you don't have to baby them and say like, oh, you know, but and you also don't have to shame them.
Speaker 3: You just so I think, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't believe all the time that tough love, Like I don't always think it works, because it made one of my kids, you know, not want to play club baseball anymore because he was like, I'm not I don't like it anymore. Like it's not even fun for me anymore, you know.
Speaker 5: So, but that's not tough love.
Speaker 2: Well the coach it.
Speaker 3: Was, you know, like it was like tough you know. Yeah, yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't. I don't know his.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does, but not he he didn't he left that particularly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that was like I saw some of those games that was it was I didn't like being there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't great.
Speaker 5: Also, the frankfooter at the stand wasn't good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was gross. But yeah, but I I I, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like there were so many things, more things than not that I try to do similar in.
Speaker 2: Raising my kids than not.
Speaker 3: Don't you think what is that face.
Speaker 5: About?
Speaker 4: What I'm just thinking about the different styles of parenting.
Speaker 3: No, you're not.
Speaker 2: You're like thinking about what you're going to have for lunch or something.
Speaker 4: I literally was just thinking about what I was going to have for lunch. That's incredible.
Speaker 5: I know each other so well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was wondering if it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I feel super close to you. I feel very lucky that and I feel super close to his wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm so grateful for that, and I feel grateful for my parents, and I feel grateful for all of it.
Speaker 1: And I feel very close to his child, and I know how close my kids feel to them. So I feel at the end of the day even like with all the stuff.
Speaker 5: But stuff, there is nobody in the universe that doesn't have a bag of stuff around their necks.
Speaker 3: I agree, And it's literally just and.
Speaker 5: It's how you deal with the stuff. How you you you lighten that bag of stuff, how you just put your head down and move forward instead of letting the stuff weigh you down into a stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still feel like you favored Max though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not true. Just saying it's not true. And I think that you know what I have written down.
Speaker 3: And I think that Max loves it.
Speaker 5: He loves love it.
Speaker 4: I don't love being the favorite. It's the only way I've ever known my existence. So it's not that I love it. I don't know anything different. I don't know, Prince, I don't.
Speaker 3: That's right, the Prince, That is exactly right.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it's like to not be the favorite, to be honest with you, and so maybe it's been the youngest.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's you think you try to sometimes.
Speaker 3: Did you think that.
Speaker 4: You like never, I would never want to spike the football in front of you. It's you're too scary. I never like purposely try. Yes, when you were in a bad mood. Yes, it was at Laticia's wedding and oh.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, at a broken foot and I was in devastating and I was in pain, and I.
Speaker 4: Had Feller knows you had a broken foot.
Speaker 3: I didn't even realize. But I had COVID.
Speaker 4: Well, that explains it. I didn't know that that was this.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking about any rose.
Speaker 4: I'm it was a thing of was a product of COVID. Like I know, like people in the world still have COVID, and like, don't inflict abuse on everyone in there like way, I'm that beautiful. You forget about being wa Hawkan dancing and you were just like this where the Wahawkan dancers were going your signess.
Speaker 3: I was not. I loved the wedding. You annoy me sometimes and.
Speaker 1: Literally you were like breathing and you were just being a jerk, and you didn't check on me, check on I want to.
Speaker 4: I want to use this podcast as an opportunity to tell you I'm so sorry that I breathed, and I'm so sorry that when you are in such a heinous, terrifying mood that you are completely unapproachable that I find the best thing to do is just give you space.
Speaker 5: No, no, but you haven't.
Speaker 2: All you had to do was like come up and ask me if I was okay?
Speaker 5: Really, nobody, that's not fair.
Speaker 3: I was going through a hard time and I was very clear.
Speaker 4: But I didn't find out about it until a week later. So the whole time my wife and I thinking what did we do? Why she mad at us? And then a week later you do.
Speaker 3: Have all the time, and I'm exhausted by them.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, okay, great, that makes sense. How can I be helpful?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, sometimes it takes me a minute.
Speaker 4: So you were amazing. When you are in like a sort of as we used to say with Hamlet or red zone, you are unapproachable.
Speaker 1: Now you're comparing me to the dog that no, no, no bites people.
Speaker 5: Perhaps you bit people. The dog is no longer with it.
Speaker 3: I thank god I was happy when the dog.
Speaker 5: I have to say I was not a fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're a bitch.
Speaker 5: And no, that is not true. How long did you leave that dog?
Speaker 4: In greatest gift you've ever given said, he left the dog here, Like the greatest gift you've ever given me. I didn't leave it here.
Speaker 5: You left him.
Speaker 1: You left him here if it wasn't safe enough for you and your child to be around, why would it be safe enough for a seventy.
Speaker 4: Never care. It's the greatest gift you've ever given me.
Speaker 2: Is okay for a seventy nine year rated man, and it stopped.
Speaker 4: The greatest gift you've ever given me in my life was taking care of Hamlet, and I did take good care for in my life. The greatest gift you ever gave me was taking care of that dog for three years of my daughter's life. And the greatest gift that dog ever gave me, besides eternal friendship and love, was never going after my daughter. And he knew he did a saint.
Speaker 3: My brother in law to the point where he had to go to the hospital.
Speaker 4: Arthur asked for it, but to be fair, he handled himself incredibly good. He never told a soul, he never snitched, and for that, Arthur has my undying protection.
Speaker 3: I want to explain something to you.
Speaker 1: If that dog, if it was someone else, like someone that worked at the event that I was having, or something a dad could have been sued for like millions of.
Speaker 4: Dollars, wasn't.
Speaker 5: But it was Arthur.
Speaker 4: And I'm glad it was Arthur because he handled himself incredibly well. And Arthur will forever be taken care of. Arthur handled himself like a mensch.
Speaker 2: That day he bit your wife, he bit Schmid.
Speaker 4: He they were all asking for it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: You don't walk around a dog when he's eating. You don't enter a room.
Speaker 3: I have dogs, and I know what my.
Speaker 4: Dogs, zeros in the world would be A better dog was insane. He had had trauma, had trauma.
Speaker 1: And unless you're going to care for the dog, then there's I don't want to talk about the dog anymore. It's taking time and it's boring.
Speaker 3: No one cares.
Speaker 4: But I will never I will never get mad at you because of what you've done for him. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 5: I love you. I love you too.
Speaker 3: You don't get mad?
Speaker 5: Why would you be mad?
Speaker 4: Never? Because he took care of him.
Speaker 5: What did I do that?
Speaker 4: Nothing? I'm just saying it will always mean if I did, it is the greatest gift anyone has ever given me.
Speaker 3: I'll still get mad at you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you haven't in the longest time. But when you did get mad at me, I stood right there in the kitchen on the phone, and I swear to God, the entire mechanism meltics.
Speaker 4: One's very scared when you get mad.
Speaker 3: First of all, I want to say something.
Speaker 1: The other day, you were a little bit spicy with me, was yep, And usually like that, you were just like you were snippy and usually and I'm a human being, right, but usually for me as a very for me, as a very emotional person, I would get snippy back. And I didn't, and you apologized and we moved on. And it wasn't it could that could have been?
Speaker 5: That could have been again.
Speaker 4: You both have anger problems.
Speaker 2: What are you talking?
Speaker 5: You know what? I might have talk about it. I do get angry, but not often. When I do, it's explosive.
Speaker 3: Have you ever gotten mad at you ever? In your entire but.
Speaker 4: When he gets angry at you, it's very scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right. You've never gotten mad at him ever?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you did. When Schmid and I stayed out past curfew and Hawaii, you really were scary.
Speaker 5: And when we sat on the on the on the soccer trip, no, or on a on a soccer.
Speaker 4: It wasn't wasn't soccer. No, it wasn't soccer. Wasn't soccer. When you've been mad at Zoe before, uh, and you've used the F word, it's been scary.
Speaker 3: But I I yeah, I would say you are a great dad.
Speaker 4: And I think you have incredible work ethic, and.
Speaker 3: You like maybe that's where you get your work ethic.
Speaker 4: I know it is.
Speaker 1: That was one of the things I said about him that I really admire. I missed that, but he got that.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, let's back up a little bit. First of all, Max at Ten said I want to be a director. He kept his word. In January I don't want he hired me.
Speaker 1: He doesn't want does he specifically said he doesn't want to talk about it?
Speaker 5: Okay, fine, that's number one.
Speaker 4: Tell the media.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to I will tell anybody that listens. But you miss you, miss you? Are you?
Speaker 4: Let's not call it work ethics. I'm just kidding you.
Speaker 5: I'm over here. That's what I'm bringing up over here. Missus is over here. I went to her class. Did you go to off of me?
Speaker 3: I need him off of me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, he's just being call it what it is.
Speaker 4: Let's get off the script and talk.
Speaker 2: I'm not okay.
Speaker 4: This is what we love though, this is why we too.
Speaker 5: So what you do is you don't take it personally. You just let him. He's a tornado of nothing over there.
Speaker 4: That's all the does that.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what it means. You have no idea what you're saying. Can I finishe You're sitting on your couch, you see a news program that is true, you decide I have to do something about it. You created. This is about humanity. You've raised four million dollars. No money goes to anything but the children need. I would say that's a work ethic.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I I don't say you didn't get it.
Speaker 3: I know that I did, and I have a great work ethic.
Speaker 4: Here's what I'll say, you do have work ethic.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like we both got a lot of amazing qualities from our parents, and we've.
Speaker 4: Also gotten some from mom.
Speaker 2: Mom, you're generous too.
Speaker 1: She's very thoughtful about so are you. But she's very thoughtful about like if someone says something that they like, or if some.
Speaker 2: She's she's she listens to.
Speaker 3: She can listen to.
Speaker 1: Like many things at once, and so she always and she can remember.
Speaker 2: She'll remember like great host, great, great host, great.
Speaker 3: And she'll remember details about people.
Speaker 5: And then But I'm interested, what is the difference in in generosity between you.
Speaker 4: And It hurts it hurts you more to spend money. Say it again, it hurts you more to spend money.
Speaker 5: It hurts it hurts me to waste the amount of money.
Speaker 4: It's wastefully generous, but it means a lot to people. You are, We're the hardest worker you try.
Speaker 2: I think you're extremely generous.
Speaker 4: You are generous, You're incredible.
Speaker 1: Extremely and it's just like in every way, like even the way that you bill hater talks about it all the time and went that the bunt cake and that you always like you're always treating the crew to every I mean, you're.
Speaker 4: Just a generous in a more hurt She's incredible. You're thoughtful, but she's thoughtful in a way that she remembers something and then follows up on it. You're thoughtful in the moment.
Speaker 3: You guys are both very thoughtful people.
Speaker 5: It's not a competition, no, I know, I just I was merely interested in the difference.
Speaker 4: Like you're great. You did great, Like you've got a wonderful legacy.
Speaker 5: Thank you, you made me feel great.
Speaker 4: Celebrate you. Thank you like you did it, like you.
Speaker 5: Know what, one of the great walks that I remember in my whole life. Your first movie came out. It was small, the company did not have a lot of money to support it.
Speaker 3: What was that movie called?
Speaker 5: I don't know. It was Ceremony?
Speaker 2: Who was it? I'm just kidding, I know what it is.
Speaker 5: I'm just being abded, Okay.
Speaker 4: But anyway, Yes, I said I wanted to retire.
Speaker 5: You said I made every decision. Dad, How does this happen? I picked every song with care. I'm never going to do this again, and I said, you will, this too will pass. But you were so open it I'll never forget it as long as I live. That that moment in time and then.
Speaker 3: He was close shut for the rest of his life. After that.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a horrible loss for me. But it wasn't good enough.
Speaker 5: Do you know what? Can I just say one thing before we stop?
Speaker 3: Would you say, I'm not like a very I'm not saying.
Speaker 5: He's not annoying at all. He is not an annoying person.
Speaker 1: It's not like a very demonstrative person except for my kids.
Speaker 3: I'm not right.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely not. And here's why. Get over here. Get over here, my sister, You're absolutely not.
Speaker 3: I don't are you joking? Do you need some water?
Speaker 5: I'm better now. In between coughs, I've got to say a sentence. I cannot believe that this actually happened, That we are no matter how it turns out, that we are together.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us for another episode of What.
Speaker 3: In the Winkler.
Speaker 1: Please tell a friend You can follow us at What in the Winkler Pod.
Speaker 3: On Instagram, TikTok and leave us.
Speaker 4: Are you doing