Speaker 1: Good mornings, sweet world, and welcome to the No Dunk's podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Monday, July thirteenth. Thumb j skeets and joining us thanks to the power of zoom Tass Melis.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 1: Tassy? We got the international man of mystery taking it to the Max le Ellis friends, but not least making the magic happen today is jd Hello, There he is and here we are once again. No Trey Kirby or it is. He's still stuck in a yurt, can't find his way out. It's deceiving right, It's a weird circle, that's exactly. He just wandering around, no corners to exactly. But we will hear from Trey a little bit later this week. He plans on joining us for a beach step in on Wednesday. Guys, email us your questions and comments for that beach step in. Email them into No Dunks at the Athletic dot com, or you can hit us up on Twitter at No dunk Sinc. Hashtag No Dunks. Follow us on social media Twitter and Instagram at No dunk Sinc. Leley another fantastic job. We posted it on the Weekend You're Poppin' Packs podcast with James Worthy last week. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Anytime we get a story about Vattie Debach rolling his own cigarettes, I'm in. I always love it. Man. James Worthy's got an incredible memory too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was on fire. Oh it was yeah, one of my mosten joga ones because really took him back to those days and he remembered as if it was like yesterday.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I mean, would you would like give him a hint and then he would be like, oh yeah, Fresno State, California eighty five. I had twenty nine he had. You know, it was pretty Impressiveyeah, So listen to that podcast from the Weekend with James Worthy. It really is enjoyable. Listen. And then you've got another another Hall of Famer. You're saying locked in for tomorrow? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: You can lock it in there, JDA Dominique Wilkins Hall of Famer. He's even got a statue why to be joining me tomorrow on throwback turn Back Tuesday. I think we're calling it.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know the idea of this is to do it on a throwback Thursday. But if these guests say they're in. I'm like, do it as soon as you can, so don't give them a chance to flake or to ghost me. So Nik on Tuesday might try to get another one later in the week.
Speaker 1: Why not? Yeah? Okay, the Human Highlight film on Tuesday. So you have really two ways to listen slash watch it. You can join you live on Instagram. Make sure you follow us and we and we tweeted out as well, So make sure you follow us on social media. You'll see legal and live with Nick or not you can't do that, you can catch the podcast lead on the weekend. We drop it as a little bonus. So there you go. That's fantastic. So you got Nik for tomorrow, who give us a hand? Two? You got lined up for the rest of you. Are you trying?
Speaker 3: Well, let's see, I don't. I really don't like to say until I've got some sort of like let's let's work out a time. Let me just say I'm I'm emailing and contacting people and I'm optimistic I'm up.
Speaker 1: To Okay, it's player that has email capabilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you emailing with the athlete himself or with a rep?
Speaker 3: Some? Well some that's the thing. Sometimes it's me directly with the person and other times it's through a rep. So but but if I get this other player, he's also a Hall of Famer. Okay, but yeah, we would just We're just we would just calm the farm on that one ferment. Okay.
Speaker 1: I got one more question before we move on here, because I was, as I said, I listened to the podcast with James Worthy on Saturday that we posted a lot of those cards. Okay, there wasn't a lot of duds. I noticed in that pack of cards. I think you were working with the ninety one ninety two hoops and I was like, oh, this is interesting. Every card is a pretty somewhat big name that James will probably know, maybe have a story about. Are you planting these damn packs?
Speaker 3: Well, I say it's not. It's not the entire pack. I get a pack and then look, if I've got a UA Black been there, I'm like, I don't know if there's too much to go with you a blab, I just jeans really doesn't have an awesome It's true, It's true that I don't. But I like in basketball you have subs on the bench. All I do is maybe I just want to sub in this guy and stubb out that guy.
Speaker 1: Man, this is worse than finding out Magic Johnson doesn't tweet everything. Everything is big.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's not fake. I mean, they're real stories. It's just you know, I just realized, like I was talking to I can't. I think it's maybe Xavi McDaniel and Donald Hodge came up and I'm like, yeah, we don't need Donald Hodge. We don't need Donald Hodge. Let's let's find Lee.
Speaker 1: The series isn't called pop and packs removing crappy cards putting in better ones from another pack. I popped a couple hours earlier.
Speaker 2: I'll be talking about the twelve best players. I know, let's go.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe you're making hey, maybe you're making the right decision.
Speaker 3: You're right, it's story times. Story time is what it is. It's just sold as popping packs. You know what I'm saying, right right, right right?
Speaker 1: Did you did you plant packs for like Cabby and Hallani, Ariel Hawani and stuff like that?
Speaker 3: Definitely not Ariel Hawani, No, because we opened two packs with you know, yeah, Kabby.
Speaker 1: No, Well because Cabby. The reason I asked is I was like, these were easy like Cabby was killing it on the hills, he was getting everybody, but I was like, he didn't really get a hard player, Like he didn't get a nil an remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But the thing is as well, I give them fairly obvious hints like you know, hey, this guy is the current coach of such and such or whatever. I mean, you know, I don't. I don't make the hints as hard as I do for you guys, because you know you tend to you know, we have a bit more time, we have a bit more fun with him and these ones. I like, I want to get to the player, and then I want to get to the story, you know what I'm saying. So it's not in the unmasking of the player. It's more like, hopefully it's going to jog their memory for a great story.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair, Yeah, we are hints. Sorry they have email capabilities. Were like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We have a pop and Pack bonus podcast. We just talked about popping packs right now for five minutes. Should we just release this as behind the scenes of Pop Papa Pop so packing the packs, the pack packs.
Speaker 1: This is the this is the stale gum that you find in the popin pack. That's what this was right now. That will cut the top of your mouth if you try eating it twenty years later. All right, so go check that out. I can't wait for Nick. And you know we're on Facebook at facebook dot com slash no Dunk's ink. Well, I guess it's official. We're now on Facebook. And some big news here in the Athletic NBA universe. There's a new podcast feed, a new show. It's called The Athletic NBA Show that's wisely named just to the point. It's a new one stop podcast, guys, podcast feed featuring like a rotating lineup of NBA insiders and writers and reporters and hosts. The rotation is stacked. The first one went up today, mondays, you're getting Basketball Buds with Zach Harper and friends. You've got Hampering with Sam Amic point of contention, I'm excited about with Ethan Sherwood, Strauss and Marcus Thompson Hoops Adjacent with David Aldrich and Big Waz and Nurder she wrote with Dave Defour and his friends and his guys breaking down the stats of the game. So all five of those podcasts are within one it's like the ultimate pack that is stacked, that is planned, that pack right there. That's an all dream team podcast right there, all within one. So there you go, The Athletic NBA Show. Make sure you seek that out. It's available on all platforms and hit that subscribe button. Give him a like, give him a little review, help the buds out, even though the buds are just on Monday, but you know what I mean, it's all Buds the whole time. Bud's twenty four to seven on that podcast feed. All right, today, guys playing a little Is this news? First one ESPN Lakers Lebron James to go without social justice message on jersey tasks? Is this news?
Speaker 2: This is newsworthy? And I'm a guy who thinks these the phrases on players jerseys is largely symbolic. But I just don't see why Lebron wouldn't do it. Why the heck not? What harm can come from it? I think only good can come from it. And so even though as I said, they're sort of symbolic, I don't think they're going to change anything. I think Lebron is doing so much more off the floor with getting people to vote with more than a vote initiative with his Ohio school getting kids to college. Even what the NBPA is doing with investigating and researching police departments around the country. That's the kind of stuff that's going to change the black community. And so a phrase on a jersey I don't really think is going to change anything really, except if Lebron has it on his jersey. We're talking about the biggest player in the NBA here as well, I mean, the most famous player in the NBA. I think let's say he has it on his jersey in the middle of a playoff game and a father and on her watching the game, and a kid says, Dad, what does what does equality mean? Why does he have that on his jersey? And so that sparks the conversation between the father and the son, and maybe that leads to the father doing a little bit more with his son in regards to, you know, educating him or or or that like that. If that were the one thing that were to come out of Lebron wearing a message on his jersey, I think it would be worth it. And maybe this is a new audience that sees into the playoffs and maybe they don't follow what Lebron does and every moment of every second on you know, in a social media world, or you know, in his life, as he is definitely more than an athlete. I mentioned those initiatives he has, but I just don't see the harm in putting a phrase on a jersey. I just I just don't see why not.
Speaker 1: I actually disagree with this. I think this is Lebron playing chess here and not checkers because and I tweeted this out intentional or not, and I guess I'm assuming it is intentional because it's Lebron. This decision, in a weird way, task actually brings more inten two all of this to the Black Lives Matter movement. I really truly believe that if Lebron does just go with the quality on the back of his jersey, I hear what you're saying. I like that scenario you're talking about, the son and the father. That's true, that could happen, but just as equally true as hey dad, Why doesn't Lebron? You know, why does everybody else have it? I guess my point is there's so many players like I think it's something like nearly three hundred of the three hundred and fifty eligible players are going to have, you know, a social justice message that they were They were given a list that they could pick from. We know that it's about thirty and Lebron saying I don't want to pick one of those. It sounds like he had other things in mind that he wished he could have put on and when he couldn't, and he didn't like being not consulted about it, He's like, you know what, I'm just not going to do it. I actually think that brings more attention, do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Though I know you're saying I saw you tweet that, and I definitely think right now these last two days for sure, because it's now newsworthy and so. But at the same time, I don't think we're gonna see those phrases on players jerseys all the time. Like if you think about a game, you see the name on a black of players jerseys, like I don't know, six seven, eight times a game, you just don't see it all that much. And so I don't think you're gonna even have a scenario where you see Lebron running up the floor and you just see his back like and a kid goes, hey, what's that? I mean? I think. I think, because he is the biggest player in the game, if he put out an Instagram post with his jersey and that would spark more conversation, I think than not. And I hear what you're saying for the last couple of days, but yeah, three hundred or three hundred fifty people are doing it for at least four games. I think we have to mention that they don't have to go forward with it after those four games. It's this weird thing where it's just four games. But I hear what you're saying, but I think I really think the floor is more important because like it's I know we're talking about the jerseys a ton, but you just don't see the back of jerseys all that. I don't think it's going to be a big deal. I think the floor is a little bit more important. But I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 3: For now, what do you think, Lee, I'm a little surprised, and to be honest, a little disappointed that Lebron isn't going to put a name or some sort of phrase on his jersey because to me, you know, he says he wasn't consulted, But as far as I understood it. Then the National Basketball Players Association worked in close contact with the NBA on these messages, so I can't believe that he wasn't in any way spoken to about what the messages were. Chris Paul is the president, that's one of his closest friends. I can't imagine Chris Paul didn't say, Hey, Bron, what do you think of this? You know that to me sounds a little bit strange. And I just feel that this is Lebron James. He goes further than just the basketball world and even further than just the sports world. He is an international celebrity and an icon, and he's revered around the world, and I feel this is the best chance for him to really just demonstrate how influential he is. And I think of those messages. If the one wasn't one that he liked, then I'm sure at someone of his power and his ability would have been able to then get the message that he wanted on his jersey. I mean, he again, he's Lebron James. You make special conditions for people like him because he has the ability to reach so many people and affect so many lives. So I would like him to change his mind and to put a message on the back, and perhaps he will, perhaps he won't. I'm not sure he'd he probably I guess has decided at this point that he's not going to. But I would have liked to have seen him Black lives matter, equality, anything. I can't breathe.
Speaker 1: I mean, but Lebron's saying, like Task was saying at the start of this, He's like, this means nothing. Let's be honest. Yeah, but I know all Lebron is like, my track record speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: And Task took us through all the things that he's done. You can't tell me. In fact, I would go to say that he's been the most vocal athlete right over the last decade plus on the matters of race, an injustice, and education in minority communities. Like I can't think of another athlete that you would he'd be at that least at the top of the list.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what does putting a message on his jersey detract from? Like? What?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 3: What's the what's the downside to him putting a message on his jersey?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no downside. But again, I actually think he's bringing more attention to this we have it as our first topic but everywhere.
Speaker 3: But I disagree that he's bringing more more like those two much.
Speaker 2: I think you're right scause he has bring more attention to it now with those two months, he probably has something else planned. You're right, he's calculated. He definitely has something else planned in terms of social justice. I imagine right like for or he's like, he's already doing it, so I would think, but when they're in Orlando, I'm sure they're going to be doing he is going to be leading something. But I agree it doesn't really detract from anything just to have it on his jersey. But it just sounds like to me, he wants to be different in this instance and he just wants to stand out by not putting it on his jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we we should say he said quote no disrespect to the list that was handed out to all the players. Okay, I commend anyone that decides to put something on the back of their jersey. It's just something that didn't really seriously resonate with my mission, with my goal, because you know, you see the headline and people start going, oh, well, Lebron's too good for this, blah blah, blah, but he is just like, this is my personal opinion and I didn't want to, but kudos to anybody else that did so. And like I said, there's a lot of players that are I think there's something like around twenty now that are electing just to go with their names instead. And Anthony Davis we learned as another one of those players, and of course his Lakers teammate, he's just gone with Davis as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, well again, I think though you know, two of the biggest names, these guys are likely going to be playing into the finals, they're going to be on the court the most throughout this entire restart. Personally, I'm disappointed. I would have rather them have a message on there. But again, we'll see how things play out and what else Lebron perhaps has in mind for how he's going to would dress this situation throughout the playoffs. Maybe you're right, maybe maybe he's decided he's going to have some different way of showcasing it. But I just feel with the games being back there, this is a fantastic opportunity for him, the most most recognizable player in the game, you know, to get a message out there. But again, I'm not not doubting him at all. I think that he's going to have something. It's just I'm very surprised anyway. I'm very surprised. I think on our show, you know, whenever it was a week or two ago, who knows everything blends into a single day. I said, I'd be shocked if anyone didn't have it. When you have someone like Lebron who's the leader of the NBA, He's going to have a message and everyone will sort of follow suit. So I'm definitely shocked by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he will have something planned. It is Lebron James, and like you said, he it's probably the most out spoking NBA player the last decade. He will have something planned. And I just I just don't think. I don't understand why those things have to be exclusive? Why not do both? I just I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, we heard Mike Scott and Jail and Brown both say they were a little disappointed with the options and that they couldn't pick their own message and that it did feel a little corporate y. Maybe Lebron feels that way too, I think, And you can't quote me on this because I was watching an MLS soccer game on Friday night at Lanta. United came back and I think they've had the option. And again please don't quote me on this, but on their jerseys there's almost like a spot. There's like a white bar, you know what I mean, like a rectangle where they could put their own message on there. I think now that could have been printed on there. I thought that was pretty cool. It would have been a really neat thing. I think the NBA could have done too, if they obviously wanted to possibly open up a can of worms. And I guess that's why they didn't, but it would have been neat if you actually could have legit, you know, written whatever you wanted to, whatever message you would like to get across on your jersey in a particular spot. But maybe now that I say that, I don't know if the MLS did that. I saw it though, and it looked.
Speaker 3: Hand written, so maybe it was just But in that sense, like open up the can of worms, those are the sort of uncomfortab conversations I think we need.
Speaker 1: To have fair.
Speaker 3: You know, if someone's if someone's got a message they want to write, let them write it and then and then we can talk about it.
Speaker 1: You know, the NBA players already do a lot of this stuff. They rid a lot of the stuff on their shoes. Yeah, it's obviously tiny on your shoes. Unless there's a close up on Getty images and it gets tweeted out, you're not really good.
Speaker 3: Well, there's always yeah, someone always takes a photo. They always make sure a photo gets taken. But but that that's where I that's where I think we need to be, at that point where it's like, oh my god, did you see what that person wrote? Like, let's let's talk about it. I mean, it's maybe not always going to be, you know, nice, but at least that's where we need to go, I think, to really change the way side is at the moment and bring awareness to every issue.
Speaker 1: Right our next headlines sticking with the Lakers NBA dot Com Lakers God for Jehan Rondo out's six to eight weeks with a fractured thumb. Lee Rondo out, We know you love Rondo is.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's a blow to the Lakers, of course because Avery Bradley another Garden you know, slightly different position, doesn't really play the point guard. He's also out, so they're backcourt depth is certainly going to take a little bit of a hit here. Rondo's an interesting one though, because the Lakers were clearly looking to try to get some support for that point guard reserve spot. They tried to sign Darren Collison earlier in the season didn't really work out. So I don't think they have complete faith in Rondo, But the fact that he's not going to be there for the most of this resumption is going to hurt them a little bit. But when you have someone like Lebron who can kind of play point guard, we've known he's done that in the playoffs in the past, you've got a fairly good backup option there. But and Caruso obviously is going to be more minutes for him as well. But I think that's the thing. When you are now two players down, it just means these extra these guys are gonna have to play extra minutes, and that could potentially lead to some more injuries. So it's a blow to Lakers. They're going to miss him for sure, just to have another body out there. But in terms of whether or not they can still win the championship, I don't think that really changes. I think they're still at their best They're still clearly one of the favorite out of the Lake because the Celtics and they, excuse me, the Lakers, Bucks and the Clippers, but it's going to be a bit of a blow to them for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think this is really all that newsworthy, and it's unfortunate and Ragnrondo would eat minutes. As Lee was saying, it would be nice if this happened for the Lakers before they got to Orlando and they could just potentially find another body if ifs Rondo was out for if they knew he was out for a long period of time, but at the same time, he could be back for the second round of the playoffs. I think I have a problem finishing off if it's the Memphis Grizzlies or the Portland Trailblazers without ragrohn Rondo, No, sir. Even if it's the conference finals, they should have If it's eight weeks, the length of the longest that Gienrondo could be out six to eight weeks here he would be back for the Conference Finals against the Clippers. Yeah, we're penciling in the Clippers and Lakers right now. I don't think it's an issue Lebron is their point guard, and Kntavious Caldwell, Pope Stands, is going to stand out there in place of Avery Bradley, and Danny Green is gonna start beside him, and Alex Scruso and Quinn Cook can come off the bench. And as Lee said, they were looking for Darren Collison to have a guy who can who can shoot. I mean that's the primary focus I think for their backup point guard. Uh And and that's why Rondo probably wouldn't have got a ton of minutes, you know, down in crunch time because playing alongside Lebron and ad we've seen what Lebron needs shooters around him, and and Rondo, Yeah, you look at the percentages. Sometimes they're good, but yeah he's not. And Alex Cruso is gonna step up. I mean that's I don't think it's really really much of a worry. I think Avid Bradley's a bigger one because they don't really have anybody to guard little guards. Avery Bradley would be that guy if there's a quick little water bug out there that they have to guard. But I don't know, I'm not that gonna cern you concern Skates Well, I know.
Speaker 1: I'll add this. I saw Kevin Pelton write this, see crunch the numbers per cleaning the glass. And there's a theory that maybe Rondo's injury could actually help the Lakers play more effective lineups because the Lakers were minus six point eight net rating with Rondo on the court. That's the worst of any player who has seen more than four hundred minutes this season. That said, playoff Rondo, guys, was a real thing.
Speaker 3: When when let's go back in time to when that was.
Speaker 1: Well twenty eighteen with the Pelicans, we still had playoff Rondo come on double twelve point two assists per gamely in that But his assists of the first round, I mean he was good.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes he did it was better than Rondo.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Look, he played well against the Blazer There's no question that he was instrumental in that series upset of the Blazers. But the assist, the assist numbers they like are always Rondo's assists are always about himself. They're not about helping his team out. He's always stuffing his own stats. That's there's no question about that. He's done that for his entire career.
Speaker 2: But I heard Rondo was actually asking the league to get playoff Rondo on the back of.
Speaker 1: His right, right, they should because it's real, but also want to you want to deny it, Oh you can, but it's legit real. He plays better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there's no question he tries harder in the playoffs. That that's that's undeniable. But you know, and that upset again, Yeah, good against the Blazers, But then what happened in the next round? Where was where was playoff Rundo in the next round?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, sure, you know.
Speaker 3: That's that's my point is like, uh, you know, the ten years ago or whenever it was for the Celtics and he had those incredible games against Lebron, he was great. But the playoff Rondo myth has carried on significantly longer than it ever actually lasted. It wasn't It wasn't as though like Rondo was the you know, close to winning MVP of the Finals or anything like that. I mean, he had some good games, no doubt about it, but he's kind of carried that reputation. He's he's he's dined out on that for a long year.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this. In a in a close series, we're into Game six and seven, it sounds like maybe both of you that you would trust Alex Caruso over playoff Rondo, you know obviously, you know, you know, in a you know, must win or a huge quarter, a huge moment in a game, that's who you would side with after what you assume is like a wash Toronto at this point in his career.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I think the pecking arder is probably Caruso wouldn't even be starting though, like if if you're talking about like late third quarter minutes, yeah, I mean I probably wouldn't have either of them on the court when you're talking about the end of the fourth quarter. But yeah, it'd probably pick Out is going to play more defense out there.
Speaker 1: Who are the Lakers five? Then let's say in a crunch time.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, Lebron ad and then Danny Green is definitely out there, and it's probably Conavious calledwell Pope at that other guard spot because he's probably playing defense better than anybody or talks Caruso, and then it depends on who who's the big guy. If you want Kuzma out there, if you're going with a Dwight.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I mean that's again, if they need a basket. Then I don't think Rondo's on the court because Lebron sort of can just take over the point guard and he needs a Kuzma or a Caruso or whoever's out there because he knows he impossible to him. They can shoot. And that's one thing Rondo's never been able to address in his career, the fact that he can be a spot up shooter because he can't shoot and he won't shoot. And again that's why he gets all these gaudy numbers of assists, because he often passes up a shot that he should take to try to get an assist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have enough goats, listen.
Speaker 3: I will admit in that that series against the Blazers, he was excellent, no question. Defensively is great, and he has had his moments undeniably so. But I also think he gets a pass so many times, for like when he's out on the corners, like you've got to shoot that man, you're open to shooter, and he won't. He'll drive in and he'll try to, you know, get the easy cheap assist to somebody else because and and sometimes it works. But he also has an enormous amount of turnovers. And bad plays and bad passes in that situation for overpassing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lakers have enough to depth. And he was good on those Pelicans teams because Drew Holliday could come off the ball a little bit and not have to bring it up every time and play defense, play his ass off on defense to stop Damian Lillard and c J mccoum. They did a great job for four games. It was kind of an anomaly. It was just a terrible matchup. But then Rondo in that second round, it was too much Rondo, and the shooting stopped, you know, the good shooting stop. The actual attempts were still there, and then yeah, the things sort of fell apart. It's it's weird to say the Lakers have enough depth after they lost Avery Bradley, But because Lebron is their point guard, they're fine. You know, he really is their point guard, and they have enough guys. They were good with KCP and their starting lineup, and Danny Green's gonna be out there firing, and he's won a lot of ships, just like you know, Jon Rondo has won a ship himself. So I think they'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, the Lakers are very likely gonna be still the number one seed in the Western Conference. I think I saw the Clippers would have to go eight to no and then the Lakers would still only have to win three games to hold the spot. How far they up are? They are up on the Clippers if that even matters. I mean the obviously no home cred advantage, so who really cares? But they're going to be the one seed, very very very likely in the Western Conference. All right, we'll cheer from you guys on all these By the way, let us know on Twitter hashtag no dunk's that no dunk sinc Are any of these news? Next one, here one's interesting from Silver Screen and Roll Great Lakers Blog, DeMarcus Cousins says, anyone who doesn't pick Lebron James over Yannis is a hater for MVP. You are a task Lee. Let's start with you, Lee. What do you think is this news? No?
Speaker 3: This is this is a ridiculous statement from DeMarcus Cousins, because as great as Lebron has been, look at what Jannis has done for the Milwaukee Bucks. Best record in the league, best defense in the league. Jannis might win MVP and Defensive Player of the Year this season, he's been incredible on both ends of the floor, doing everything for the Bucks. You know, like if if you were to sort of if the Bucks were, you know, struggling along, and you Nas was only putting up numbers on one end of the floor, perhaps there's an argument there, but he's doing absolutely everything for his team to have them in the position they're in. And again, we've talked about Lebron a lot this season. He's had a resurgence season after last year where he just he looked like it all finally caught up with him a little bit. And I question coming into the season if he was ever going to sort of be able to find the superstar Lebron again. He got there, he became a brilliant player again. But this season's MVP for me, while it's not going to be unanimous, I think it's very very hard to see how Yannis won't win because he's been so dominant for the best team in the league at both ends of the floor.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you're a heater, you are a what do you think to ask this news?
Speaker 2: No, DeMarcus Cousins is pining for his teammate here. There were teammates this year it's weird to think that DeMarcus Cousins was on the Lakers bench, But I think he's just sort of focused on this old guy is incredible. You know. He sounds like he's really impressed with how a thirty five year old Lebron works his ass off at the age that he is. And the quote extends to he's doing this with gray hair and a gray beard. That's what it sounds like he's really impressed with, Like, Yeah, I've never worked that hard in my life. I'm just just guessing, and Lebron is doing it in his mid thirties, and so I think, yeah, it's just like, you know, it's a little confirmation bias or it's a little like prisoner of the Lakers moment. He's around Lebron seeing it every day, so he's taken him.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's does DeMarcus get a ring if the Lakers win the championship, even if he gets signed by another.
Speaker 2: Team and he never played a game with Yeah.
Speaker 3: But he got paid, he got paid. He was on the rust up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're not wrong. Shit, a bit of this too. This is sort of a little bit of recency bias, a weird Recncy bias because we haven't had basketball in four months. But remember Lebron was killing it before the shutdown, Right before COVID shut the season down. He was averaging like thirty nine and eight and his true shooting percentage was hilarious. And the Lakers rolling in the final ten games before they shutdown. And then Gianna's flip side of that was little banged up out of the line up there near the end of it, and the Bucks were starting to struggle and losing some games and stuff like that, and that's where the narrative was, like, Wow, Ken Lebron, Yeah, Kenny actually pull this off. And so many people's, like a lot of us include is saying no, no, joannest is just too far out in front, it won't really matter. But could the Lakers have snatched the number one seed overall? Could Lebron continued on this toward pace? Could they just kept racking up w's, especially if Jannis was hurt a little bit? Yeah, I'm with you, guys. I guess we all are haters. I think Gianness is rightfully going to win this thing. But Tess, I think has a point there. It's it's cousin seeing this up close and personal, going my god, like I shouldn't be able to do this at this age. And again, what was a bit of a bounce back season, especially from injury and Lakers playing.
Speaker 2: Well, So of course he's gonna go.
Speaker 1: To bat for his guy. Yeah, he said this on Jail and Jacobi. I think Cousins was saying this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hate being on Twitter and seeing the question, is Lebron having best year seventeen in NBA history? You know you mentioned Kevin Pelton a little earlier, a man John Schumann. Maybe they can do that research. I just I can't even fathom trying to do that research, trying to understand it. But I'm gonna say this is the best year seventeen of a player we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Probably, I mean, who would be Carl Malone maybe seventeen, But I think Kareem was MVP somewhere when he was like, yeah something that sounds right, But.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Lebron leading the league and assists are those just gaudy assists now?
Speaker 3: But see but they're not. They're not because because cheap they're cheap. True, No, but throughout his career I'm going to guess without looking he averages about seven between seven and night per game for his career.
Speaker 2: Oh, for his career. Yeah, yeah, he's averaging ten and a half this year, seven and a half for his career.
Speaker 3: Right, So yeah, Rod on the spot there. I mean, throughout his career he's been very, very unselfish Lebron and you know, yeah, but he's been selfishly unselfish, is my point.
Speaker 1: With he has there's no look, We've talked about this for a decades, I know. I mean, Rondo will exactly pass out of open lay up to the guy at he.
Speaker 3: Went through that ridiculous phase of getting you know, double digit assists in a row, and he was going out in blowouts like just to just to pad the numbers. I mean that that just drove me crazy. Everyone pads their numbers, I know that. But anyway, the thing is with Lebron, we know he's a willing passer. Ever since day one, he's been a great passer. And the fact now he's like, I don't want to be the guy has to go out there and score all the points. Even though what's the averaging on the season twenty five a game still anyway, I mean, not too far off his normal career averages. But yeah, no, these are this is Lebron just showing just how versatile he is and how.
Speaker 2: Great he is.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a great, great player. If you didn't know, Tommy.
Speaker 2: Kevin Felton, and John Schumann, I did the research. Lebron's year seventeen better than Kareem's of twenty three points per game, six boards. I mean, still obviously incredible stuff from Kareem in year seventeen, and he was the final year he was MVP, was a year eleven of his career. He's thirty two years old. Oh real, though he's not gonna he's not gonna finals MVP at thirty four. He's thirty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, nice, Yeah, you are the go call you John Mellis. Now you're part of the Johns.
Speaker 2: Give me a jack, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Because we're calling Kevin Pelton John Pelton now.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah, of course, yeah, you can call me Yannismellics. That's that's a John Giannis is actually John.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good. That's good. All right. Our next one here from ESPN. Back to ESPN, Andre Robertson back on the floor with the thunder after long layoff, dude to injury. Remember that name Lee. Is this news, Well, it's.
Speaker 3: Good news for Andro Robinson if he can just get out there and play again, because I think it's been nearly over two years since he actually played in the NBA. He kept coming back and then he had setbacks and he just wasn't looked like he's going to be able to play. And now for this resumption, will he be able to play? I mean he might get some sort of mop up minutes. I can't see him making any significant real impact on the Thundered simply because he just hasn't played for so long. So this is more about just whether or not he can sort of get back on the court at all. We know he's a defensive player. He's not a very good offensive player as far as shooting or even creating for anybody, but he's out there and he gives them another presence defensively. So if he can play at all and make some meaningful contribution to the thunder and then that will be a great story for him. But I would say for what we're going to see from him for this season, it's going to be not more than sort of probably token minutes just to get back out on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's suffered a ruptured pateller tendon back in January of two thousand and eighteen and then had all multiple setbacks like you said, Lee, and challenges in his recovery. So it's been two and a half years since he's played in an actual game here, Tess, news at all? Are you like Lee thinking? You know, good good news for him trying to stick around in the league, because I think he's an unstricted free agent too, unrestricted free agent, So is it just nothing more than that though in terms of helping the thunders chances of moving.
Speaker 2: On, well, yeah, it's good for Robertson because I think he if he even gets spot up minutes, it's good just to get another contract next year. That that's probably what the on court goal for him is this postseason. But I think it could be good for the Thunder in that he could help lou Dort Logan's Dort, just just because it's so fun saying his name. The Canadian Haitian is OKCS small forward now and he's basically taken Andre Robertson's job as a you know, a defensive guy. Yeah, and you know, Robertson had his had his like moment in the Sun as a three and D type guy, you know, the shots sort of went away and and Dort hopefully will be that guy. But he's their hustle guy. And maybe Robertson can be a bit of a guide in the court because it's not the same, you know, being a voice off the floor. So I think hopefully that would be the en court significance, be a be a practice player, and yeah, earn another contract in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Royce Young pointed it out in his article about this. Robertson, you forget, was like a staple starter for the Thunder, like a good Thunder team, and he did establish himself as one of the better defenders in the league. He was growing there was growing buzz about being a Defensive Player of the Year prior to that injury. A bit of a long shot thing of him winning it, but you know, on all NBA teams and stuff like that in.
Speaker 3: The mix, that's definitely where he made his money on the defensive end. Yeah, and he was trying to reprove to become a bit of a Bruce Bowen, you know, corner three man as well. Yeah, but yeah, really really crazy to see those so many setbacks that he had too, I mean, just just crazy. Usually a guy, you know, if they have one, then they come back, but he had more than one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost it's almost shocking that it doesn't happen more often because there was real complications with like infection and stuff like that, and things going wrong in the surgery itself, you know, and then how he bounced back and stuff like that. So yeah, wishing him the best and I'd be nice to see him out there, even if they are a spot minutes or garbage minutes, whatever you want to call them. All Right, more headlines still to discuss and debt, but before we do, a quick word from our sponsor.
Speaker 3: It's July in Atlanta, which means one thing. It's sweat season, baby, long, hot, humid days where you only have to think about going outside and you start sweating like jab of the hut in a sauna, and with the sweat comes the stink. But thanks to Hawthorn, you can keep yourself smelling clean and fresh all some along from their wide variety of PHPs personal hygiene products. Just take the two minute quiz at Hawthorne dot Co and you'll get an instant result and recommendation for the PHPs Personal Hygiene products based on your answers. I did, and I've been very happy with the results because I finally found a range of PHPs personal hygiene products that feels like they were made just for me. It's quick, easy and convenient. And here's the best part, it's totally risk free because if you don't like PHPs Personal Hygiene products, you can return them free of charge. Check out Hawthorne at Hawthorne dot co. That's Hawthorne with an E and dot co not dot com. Hawthorne dot co and use my promo code no dunks to get ten percent off your first purchase. That's Hawthorne dot code and use promo code no dunks to get ten percent off your first purchase Hawthorn dot co.
Speaker 1: You know it'd be in sweat season.
Speaker 4: Done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've officially hit the three showers a day. Yeah, the calendar year down here in Atlanta. It's gross here outside for more than fifteen minutes, You've basically come inside and have to have a shower. Yeah, it's it is that bad. It's that high. Though, I'm worried about you, Leie, Like I love the Hawthorne products myself too. We've all got them. I love to smell them, as I've said before, but the bottles, shampoo bottles not gigantic, So I'm assuming you go through a bottle a day with that that mop hair you got right now, Hey, you just dumping on and it's all guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, I probably should be washing it a little more often than I am. I'm taking the Trey Kirby approach actually, just saying, you know what, this is me baby, my family and I we've been quarantined now for what four months. We're starting to really get to know each other's strongest and not so strong as suits. And one of them is like, you know what, I'm growing my hair out with that comes a little bit of stink in the air every now and again, but yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: It's funny. Actually, I saw Trekkerby socially distanced of course, a few weeks ago, and I was having a stinky, stinky Atlanta day. I definitely was a little stinky, and Trey brought up I had some some stuff on my legs for my poison ivy, so my legs were pink, super pink, a lot of calamine motion going on and he was commenting on me showering, and he's like, is that you that smells? Smells? And then Danielle's like, that is definitely him. And then we brought up Hawthorne and she said it's not working today as I stuck and those sham shampoo bottles. I actually, I wrote in I. I commented to our friend Mike at Hawthorne. I said, those those bottles pretty slippery, just they just fall out of your hand. And I'm not a clumsy guy, but those are like dropping everywhere. And I got you got a little baby sleeping bang. These things drop on the floor of the shower, waking kids up. So I told them, you know, let's get a little grip on.
Speaker 1: The bottle, making suggestions to the bottle.
Speaker 2: That's the next level, oh for sure. And the labeling is coming off in the shower. They're working on it. Though it's great stuff. Though I'm always using it.
Speaker 1: It's the product inside the bottle. I get real, the real key. All right, let's get with the headlines here next one New York Post. This is interesting, This is interesting. Indeed, ESPN suspends Adrian Wolfhanarowski without pay for JD. You want to do some work here. Sure. Cue email to Missouri senator, Yes woes suspended for dropping an F bomb woj bomb with the F bomb to the Missouri senator who wants to get us started tasks have a crack at it is this news.
Speaker 2: Well, let's take a step back to see what Adrian woljen Rowski was saying. FU two because the senator, this elected official senator of Missouri rights to the NBA a private business and tells them, Hey, you know what, on the back of your players jerseys during this this thing you got going on in Orlando, maybe you should have some some you know, messages for the troops or for the police. What you guys are? What are you anti American? You don't care about the troops, you don't care about the police. It's very Colin Kaepernick esque. It's it's spinning it for whatever purpose that this Missouri senator has into taking away from the topic at hand. The subject at hand is black men and women being murdered by and all of a sudden, he's accusing the NBA of being anti American and anti civil rights. He brings up China and their relationship with China in this letter, and I just find it a bunch of WHOI and so Yes, Adrian wojan Rowski dropped two words, and he could have said it a little bit more eloquently.
Speaker 1: A bunch of email. That's a bunch of whoy, Sir, sir.
Speaker 2: There's a lot bigger things to be worried about than what the NBA is doing down in Orlando. Has anybody spoken up about what the hell is going on in Afghanistan with the Russians putting bounties on the heads of American soldiers or this freaking pandemic happening. I just unfortunately Woji is suspended, but he'll get his job back right quick. And I wish he didn't have his pay redacted. I'm sure he's I'm sure he's compensated fine, and he'll be He'll be okay, But it is strange. I just think it's strange that part of the report is that he isn't being paid for this week or two, that he is being suspended. I don't know, he's woch and don't I just find the whole thing crappy. What was the point of this letter? And then and then also publicizing Woja's email out there because the Senator Holly went and tweeted Adrian Woze Rescue's email the exact email screenshot of the whole thing, which is against Senate rules. I do believe some people were saying, I have no idea, but not cool either. Not cool?
Speaker 1: What do you think, Lee?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, he's a clown, that senator just looking again, as Tas was saying, to try to distract the message. I mean, he's upset about the NBA not putting free Hong Kong on the jerseys, but he's okay with the president who's making trade rules based on what benefits him. I mean, the president's in the pocket of the Chinese government, no doubt about it, and the Russians, but he's fine with that. That's not anti American. This apparently is what upset to him, and this is what gets gets his moral compass going. So yeah, these sorts of things right now are just crazy because he wanted the attention, he got what he wanted. But Woes was completely right and justified in what he said to him, Like, wh why is he sending it to wolfh What does he care? So I just think this senator's got a very strange moral compass of what he finds to be pro American. What he finds to be anti American stand up to the president who we know made tariff laws, made his own daughter's companies exempt from tarifflaws with China. Is that not something of a concern. I don't think so apparently according to him.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, the senator is mad they don't have an NBA team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's also.
Speaker 2: Makes it also a little crazy.
Speaker 3: He's also in the pocket of the NRA as well, like that they bribe him and he more than happily accepts those blood money bribes. So he's got a few other things he needs to worry about first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I love about this story as well. I was telling someone to craft at eight fifty seven ams something about that. It brings a smile to my face. But it is interesting. I think I saw a couple of people tweet this. If Woes doesn't send that email from his official ESPN dot com email address, is this an issue at all? I mean, you are allowed to disagree with senators, Yeah, correct, I mean, but because maybe he's using a company email, is obviously a face of that of that company. And yeah, I think the other interesting part this is from Jim Miller, who basically wrote the book. On ESPN, he said, make no mistake, Woe's news being leaked is a further attempt to punish him here and totally agenda driven, and that he wrote that wol deserves way better, his point being with previous incidents, you know, it doesn't need to be so public or at least the suspension. You know, it doesn't need to be out there, that it's one or two weeks and like Test said, no pay and all that, like this has happened before where that's internal. But why is this out there? Why is why is this news being shared? And is that just again another way to sort of punish him some That could be true for all I know, But I agree with a lot what you guys were saying there. JD. I wanted to chime in on this one at all.
Speaker 4: I just like to say, you to that senator.
Speaker 1: Fascinating stuff, fascinating stuff Woes and then you got free Woes like you know, trending on the player. Yeah, yeah, definitely this is not gonna hurt Woes's brand by any meanings. I think that's fair fair to say.
Speaker 2: So who's suspended tomorrow? JD is suspended tomorrow.
Speaker 1: It sucks awesome. He's pumped, legit pumped, all right. A couple more here associated Press home to three Pistons titles. The Palace of Auburn Hills demolished. Lee, You remember the Palace? Well is this dude?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, their first two years in the Palace they won championships, which is an incredible way to break in a new arena. And then they picked up another one in two thousand and four with the Pistons. So in what at about thirty years they picked up three championships. That's a pretty good return for the NBA. And I were in the finals again in I Fox that was a pretty successful arena, but it was just in the wrong spot apparently. Yeah, I've never been there. I don't know if your buddy Grish has been that big Pistons fan.
Speaker 1: I was sending texts back and forth with Gresh about come on, give me some, you know, palace stories. He had obviously been there. You know. The whole thing with it is, Yeah, it was out of Detroit. It was like thirty miles I think it is northwest of the city. And I asked Grisch, I was like, you know, you know, we always hear how big a deal that was. He was like, it wasn't a big deal. Everybody lived in the suburbs, you know, everybody lived outside of Detroit for the most part, so it wasn't really that big a deal. Of course, they've now moved back to the city in their new arena, into the Pizza Box. But test, you have been right. Didn't you go for a playoff series or might crazy?
Speaker 2: I know you're I wish I did. I wish. It's funny. It's funny because I wish I did, but I also wish I did. In two thousand and two, I was working that weekend. I was working not a sport check, had my shift selling shoes. So I said to my friends who were going down for a playoff game Wraps Pistons Game one, I said, nah, gotta work, man, dedicated to the craft. I'm loyal, loyal to my sports check bosses. And they went down to It's a quick drive from Toronto, but they saw the Raptors get demolished like Auburn Hills was just demolished. They lost eighty five to sixty three. So I'm not too upset that I missed that ugly ass game and it was a Sunday night. It was a weird eight thirty Sunday night. Tip you'd probably go have some fun, I guess afterwards. But noah, I'd never been. And I was just speaking of the demolishing. Did you see the video of it coming down? It always amazes me that it came down so fast.
Speaker 1: It's so quick. Yeah, it's not even.
Speaker 2: Done in chunks, right, it was just done in one swoop. It's down in three seconds. That's it. Thirty years memories, bye bye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great name, I will say, the palace like that. That's a great name to have for your harm arene. A little bit better than better than you know, Scotia Bank Arena.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was asking Chrish, like any favorite memories or whatever he did say, and he's right, I remember this at at the time, like you were saying, late eighties, Lee, it was one of the first modern arenas. Like it was because they were playing in the Silk Honniac Silver Dome, Yeah, which is obviously cavernous. It was like the it was like the Raptors playing in the SkyDome when they started, so then they hit their own sort of arena there, and yeah, it was pretty state of the art at the time, obviously aged as it went on, but he said he saw some great concerts there. First concert he ever saw JD like this, I think Page and Plant he saw, yeah at the Palace, saw Rage against the Machine there and Bush X.
Speaker 4: Yeah they would have been right, it was Troit So yeah.
Speaker 1: Because there was two bands, one Canadian and one American. Right, that's called Bush and one was forced to then go bush.
Speaker 4: X that yeah, which English? The English there was a Canadian band called Bush and so the English the actual famous band, Oh, Bush had to be called bush X in Canada only.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's what it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they would have been playing as Bush unless he was seeing the original Canadian Bush, which I doubt very much they were playing there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, Okay, that's very confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: He saw some great concerts there. I guess there's a new new mixed use development project planned for the site up there. Who knows what they're gonna do. Sure it'll be condos. It's always condos. Final one And I'm only asking this to uh to troll task. Here s n y Nick's interview Mike Woodson, with head coaching decision expected by July thirty. First task, is this news?
Speaker 2: In the words of Adrian Wojanowski, you skeets.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about two people suspended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to talk about I said weeks ago, no more Knicks talk until they pick a coach.
Speaker 4: We've talked about picking or interviewing and deciding about every single coach.
Speaker 2: I'm done, done until it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's why I asked you, because you did say that. I remember, But it's commonly end of July. I mean, I wonder when they'll time this. This is fascinating a little bit. It's like, we know the season is going to start on the thirtieth, do the Knicks, like I don't know, for whatever reason, like try and bury the news like a day before, a day after the season starts. Like why would you do that? I guess that's another question. But what do you think is this news? Mike Woodson second.
Speaker 3: Well Woodson, Yeah, he was the coach they have the Knicks a few years ago, wasn't he. I think after d'An TONI I think.
Speaker 1: In the good years when they made Whatson is the last k Next coach to win a playoff series?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I actually think Woodson has you know, has done a fine job there when he was there, considering the circumstances in New York. So I wish him all the best. I would love to see him back in the league because I think he deserves a shot. I don't, you know, I don't know the New York market is the right one for him. But we'll see. I mean, it's not, it's not. It's not an inviting job right now. To me, if you ask me that next position, I think it's whoever takes it's going to be tough for them. Think I think they need some big changes there first.
Speaker 1: What's fascinating about this as I read that, I guess David Fizdale, who was the next coach, he wanted Mike Woodson on his staff in New York, but New York management or the higher ups whoever, maybe it was Dawn, didn't want that, which is interesting. I just actually don't think with Leon Rose, you know, being in the new position of power there and all the guys they brought in, I don't see them picking like a a coach that was already there, you know, not all that long ago as their first reel. Like we're moving into the future with the Knicks here, I just I don't know. I'm doubtful task that it actually is him. I know you don't want to talk about this, but I don't. It's good he's got a second interview, and I do think he is somewhat of a talent coach and he had a great record with the Knicks and again, basically the last coach to do that. You can say that, but just be a weird pick to me. I think more than anything, it's like, hey, we're the new guys here. We're picking a guy from you know whatever, seven years.
Speaker 2: Ago, right, weird. I think what they're going to time the decision with is when steven A. Smith is on vacation, and so they're going to make that decision and force stephen A. Smith to get on video camera from wherever he is, He's in Cabo or something, and be pissed off at a camera. And I think that will make some some good social media, some good video. That's that's all I really care about with this decision, is what steven A is going to how he's going to respond reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that will be good regardless for sure. All right, let's call it there. With the headlines coming up tomorrow, we're gonna be joined by Big wa Was from that Athletic NBA show. He's gonna come on the show. We're gonna have some fun questions for him, some silly ones, some serious ones about this NBA bubble. We'll talk to him about the new podcast feed the Athletic NBA Show as I talked about off the top of this show. Go and subscribe to that bad boy told you. We're gonna hit the beach at some point this week, probably on Wednesday. TK should be back to join us if he gets out of that yurt, So get your questions in No Dunks at the Athletic dot com or tweet him in at No Dunks Inc. Clipper Bros. You heard it here first. Have a great time, turn up, Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, and remember look out for packing packs with Lee Ellis and Dominique Wilkins coming to your Instagram feed.
Speaker 1: It braks the day people.
Speaker 4: You kind of stay every day, Danie, happy every.
Speaker 1: It's been so long.
Speaker 2: That you're the one I've waiting for.
Speaker 1: It's happened already. It's going to be gripping