Speaker 1: Is live coverage Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Steeler Nation. It's the drive on the Steelers Audio Network. West Shuoler and Matt Williamson with you here for the next three hours for the next few weeks, of course, at Chucknollfield on the beautiful campus of Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania for Steelers Training Camp twenty twenty six. Matt, it's the same, but it's a little bit different this year.
Speaker 3: I was just saying the same thing. It's a beautiful day. Usually when you know, I've done this the drive longer than you have. But we usually come on at three a training camp and there's practice going on. Nope, it's just groundskeepers out there, and there's it's kind of a ghost town at this point. There are some new developments on campus. You know, we're looking what would you call that that.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you pointed that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost like a hospitality suite.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: But it's it's in the end zone here to our right, and it's a it's almost like a standalone building. It is like real brick and mortar. It's not just a tent or anything.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of glass, a lot of glass.
Speaker 2: For windows for viewing, a lot of seating options there. And then there's kind of a level roof platform with with some tent coverage on top two. So I imagine that that serves well for training camp where you know you can kind of use that as.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe mister Rooney the IP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sponsors and and other you know, members of the ownership group.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like suret of the super box, like the club, the.
Speaker 2: Champions Club there in the end zone at Akrocher stadium and then I'm sure too, you know, for from Saint Vincent's perspective, I bet you being able to get up on that roof that platform there and kind of do some evaluating of practice.
Speaker 3: I wonder if from there, yeah, there all twenty two from there or something like that.
Speaker 2: But it is it is funny how that works, Matt. Every year when we come out here, there's usually something new on campus. Yeah, you know, and this year there's like a little hospitality type suite thing, uh in the end zone. There's also a brand new athletics specificity on the other side of us that was in the process of being built last year and is now complete, and it looks pretty sick Matt. Yeah, it's like a I mean, I guess, for lack of better terms, it's it's almost like a rec center that you would expect to see on a college campus.
Speaker 4: But it's brand new.
Speaker 2: It's really nice, and it's got a big indoor field that I'm sure with the weather that we get out here in this region, they'll need at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and clearly the weather comes and goes here pretty quick. We talked about it a lot through the mountains and it's it's something we always have to monitor. But I really thought the Steelers as a football team got short changed on rain days quite a.
Speaker 4: Bit, especially last year.
Speaker 3: Felt like it was rough because I think their only option was basically go to the gym and do a walk through. And you and I had to go to the gym today, right, that was a experience in itself.
Speaker 4: Matt and I had to do some modeling earlier today.
Speaker 2: We did runway work, video stuff, and then they sent us over to photography. I felt like I felt like Beyonce with all the wardrobe changes and everything that they were doing there is like the Taylor Swift Eras tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were like supermodels.
Speaker 4: But I said that to you.
Speaker 2: At one point Matt and I were over in the gym earlier. That's the first time I've ever been in the gym here, and we were kind of like, oh, yeah, I could imagine why they weren't fans of having to it's a it's.
Speaker 4: A small school gymnasium.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The new facility across the way here will be much better when when weather demands that they move inside.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's always pros and cons to where you have training camp. You know, like a lot of teams just stay at their facility. They have the indoor, they have, you know, the same lockers. They don't have to move everything out here. I'm very much a proponent of coming to Saint Vincent for a lot of different reasons, and we'll talk about it through the whole time we're here, but mostly camaraderie tradition. I think that all that stuff matters, and I frankly think it helps you win football games. But I did think one of the definite cons was rain days. You could not get a ton done the last twenty thirty years. Now they're gonna go over there running routes full speed. I haven't been in it, but I assume that there's a field turf situation or I don't know if it's a hundred of field and what's in there.
Speaker 4: Quite a hundred, but it's much bigger than the gymnasium.
Speaker 3: I mean, the indoor south side is not one hundred either. I mean, you could get a lot done. It doesn't have to be a full full field, so that's great.
Speaker 2: It is always always a lot of differences here, always a lot of moving and shaken, But the chief most amongst them, Matt, is the change in head coach.
Speaker 4: And just across the board.
Speaker 2: For the most part, there are still some familiar faces on the coaching staff, but a lot of turnover. Of course, Mike McCarthy at the helm of the Steelers year after nineteen years of Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 4: So I made this reference to you.
Speaker 2: I think it was on Monday, but it almost feels like first day of school at a new school.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good way of looking at it. You said that the other day.
Speaker 2: You know that you have a report time, and here's where, here's math class and history class and gym class, and you know you're gonna have a lunch period.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have a locker, and you're gonna have a locker. You're gonna have teachers write all that stuff.
Speaker 2: But it's your first time doing it in a different building, in a new school, and I know this is all the same setting. But Matt, I think really at the forefront of that is the earlier practices here that we got our first taste of today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean again, so I said this on Monday, But the acclamation period, I want everyone to understand, it's five practices. It's NFL mandated. This is not a Steeler decision. I mean every team, it's collectively bargained. So the first five practices of training camp are an acclamation period, which are not full full go and you not be padded. Of course they have helmets and shells on and stuff, but they do not bang around. It's a slower, more advanced than I would say mini camp and OTAs, but definitely not what you think of Joe Green out here in seventy six doing two a days, or what Tounch and Wolf are doing. You know, no air conditioning, No, not at all. So it's a little anti climatic. And why I bring that up is because we don't yet know how McCarthy and his staff are going to structure. I don't want to say the real practices, but the big dog practices, you know, once you.
Speaker 4: Knock off the rust and really go full speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now what we do know is he's practicing earlier for whatever reason. But I think some of that is to avoid the hottest parts of the day. That was a big time Tomlin thing, dressing all black and walk out here at two in the afternoon when the sun's beating on everybody, and I highly suspect and I'm trying not to like get ahead of myself because I could be wrong, because we know it's the same ownership, it's the same front office, it's the same Saint Vincent's, you know, despite the changes we mentioned. But doing a lot of homework on how McCarthy has structured his practices basically going back to his Dallas days. It's only a year removed were they're gonna be a lot lighter, you know, like I think his and there's two ways doing it. I'm sure people will be like, oh, that stinks, that's soft. They're gonna be.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of our classic Steeler listeners are they they were not thrilled when they heard no live tackling or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I suspect and maybe I'll be totally wrong for practices from now, but I think that he's going to be very much load management. They're all going to have their GPS trackers and when they hit a pitch count, so to speak, Okay, you've you've you've done your thing. He's already mentioned there will not be live tackling, and the Steelers were under Tomlin about it as physical as you can be, you know. I'm sure some people came out here that've been coming out for forty years watching Joe Green and Tounch of Wolf, going like, boy, these guys are soft. These guys are but compared to the thirty one other teams, Tomlin's training camps were hot, sweaty, physical and push the limits as much as you could, you know, without breaking them. I think McCarthy's gonna look at it very different, and I don't know which way's right. I mean, again, he had a saying in Dallas that you can't win the super Bowl in August, but you could lose it with injuries, you know what I mean, And so I think there's something to be said for that. I think he's gonna be really very very injury avoidance. I don't know that we'll see backs on backers. I don't know that we'll see seven shots. I mean, I'm curious, but I expect it to be much much lighter in terms of physicality, which when you hit week sixteen or seventeen, no one's gonna think about. But you might be like, boy, this team's a lot fresher than they were the last three years. Or you might get the Week one and they doors get blown off and be like boy, they didn't do anything trading camp. What are you thinking. It's just two ways of looking at it, you know, and.
Speaker 2: You know those reactions are going to be there either way, no matter, no doubt, no matter how y. That's what that's what we do as football fans. It's such a short sample size and every game matters so much. But yeah, that to me has has really stuck out and is going to stick out here over the next what three weeks that that we'll be doing shows here at Chuck Nollfield, where I think things are going to be lighter. Uh, we know practices are going to be earlier Friday. On this on Steelers dot Com, it says Friday's practice is going to start at ten thirty in the morning, and and so, yeah, the lack of live tackling some of the drills that we're used to. But you know what, Matt, I keep coming back to this because I think there's some people that have said, hey, I don't want a playoff game, and what eight years, nine years, Let's try something different.
Speaker 3: Let's say yeah, right, all right, right, maybe you're not as fresh because you banged this whole month. There is the old school amazone doing anything either and everyone's picking them to win the Super Bowl, and everyone thinks the best coach in.
Speaker 2: The league, the old school mentality of like you got to get out here and get physical and beat each other up.
Speaker 4: Matt, you know this.
Speaker 2: I say this to you sometimes when we talk about like defensive scheme and formations and even offensive personnel, there's no right way to do it. If one proven way that this is the way, this is how you win playoff games and Super Bowls. You have light training camp, morning practices before it gets too hot.
Speaker 4: Everybody would do it that way.
Speaker 2: If it was you got to be physical, you got to be in the middle of the day. You know everybody would would would do.
Speaker 3: It that way.
Speaker 2: And you know exactly right, exactly right, and so listen. Uh, that to me is going to be very very interesting to follow over the next couple of weeks. But as you mentioned, especially when we get to this coming Monday, when when when the pads will go on, and then we'll see exactly because it's going to be physical still it's football.
Speaker 3: Course, of course. But but what as you out right and if you didn't expect changes your nuts, we think should happened totally. And I love your point. I mean, hey, they did not play their best football in the playoffs for numerous years in a row. Could this be something different? I mean, this is not the youngest roster in the league either, especially the guys you're counting on your quarterback, your two best defensive players three, maybe your three best defensive players are all well well into their thirties, you know. So it's not like Tom Win beat the crap out of Cam Hayward.
Speaker 4: He get.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it was more of the younger guys too. But I am interested to see what the results are. Maybe it won't make one bit of difference, Maybe it'll make tons of difference. Maybe we'll get into this thing two weeks from now when reporters are putting microphones in the faces of guys have been around for a long time, going well, I feel a lot better now than I did, you know, going into the first preseason game, even preseason, I don't know that they'll play their starters as much. I mean, I don't think Rogers and Cam are going to play at all. But I wonder if the queens of the world will even dress, you know, keep them safe, you know, yeah, yeah, even though they're young. One thing I did hear about McCarthy is hit. One of his huge pet peeves is he will kick guys out of practice earlier if they're on the ground too much. You know, on the ground, get stepped on, you get hurt, you twist things, you trip people up, you hurt other people. Plus especially lineman, you don't block anybody. If you're on the ground, you're not doing your job. So that's like one of his big pet peeves. So it's not like he's just going to give them all hugs and sing Kumbaya, you know, like he kicks people out of practice for doing things he doesn't like too. It's just I'm expecting a very different approach to what they do with their minutes on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and we've talked about some of those things, like how much is going to be devoted to specialty, you know, along with the physicality element and tackling in those things, how much how much time is going to be devoted to special teams all that stuff that will be kind of peeling back here and keeping an eye on over the next few weeks. I will tell you, though, Matt, one thing that we always keep an eye on is the grounds crew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has a project going on here for day one, for.
Speaker 2: Not the entire the entire field still looks really good. But on day one here at the fifty yard line on the main field, it looks almost like a groundhog was down there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tear and stuff. It looks like shutting. No no, no, no no, no, no, no no no. Down there at the fifty yards a story indiredible.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're working on. There's taking they get a free bowl, sup with that. They're digging big holes and replacing big, massive divots like it does look like a groundhog has a way with it. I guarantee, if we get here nine o'clock tomorrow morning, you'll never even know it's there. These guys are unbelievable. They do a great job, but they're probably I assume this is an unforeseen thing. They've only had one practice here and all of a sudden there's this big project going on well after practice.
Speaker 2: Huge Uh and and Kinger and a Max pointed it out to me when I got up here actually a little after a little after one o'clock, and uh, we're.
Speaker 4: Kind of like, man, somebody really tore up Do you see.
Speaker 2: Those those chunks in the ground there at the fifty and so yeah, the uh day one here they are. They are well into it, the ground crew in front of us. As as like Matt mentioned, it'll be a little bit different here is we're not going to be kind of right in the thick of practice as we typically are. But it'll also it could be fun in a lot of ways too, Matt, because the hay will be in the barn by the time we go on air, and so we'll kind of have all the information of the day and be able to kind of put a rap on everything, where a lot of times in.
Speaker 3: The past I want to get tomorrow on that injury or you know.
Speaker 4: Certain things like that, whereas now, hey, it'll be interesting to follow through and see how this all goes.
Speaker 3: We'll also have a lot of interviews that happened throughout the day, you know, that we can reference and play back for you guys, et cetera, et cetera too. So, yeah, we're the caboose now, and we're always worth at the end, but now.
Speaker 4: Practice caboose too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right, And that'll be something that we'll be getting used to that we'll be figuring out as we move and shake here over these next couple of weeks. We're also hoping you know, uh, one of the downsides of being on here during practice was we couldn't really have guests because you know, they're all on the field and they got to get their quotes and they got to write their stories and all that. Well, they're all finishing up writing their stories by this point now down there at the Fred Rogers Center where all the media gathers and has a work room and all that good stuff, So we'll be able to pull some guests as we roll long here. We got to get back to, uh, you know, to our regular people. Matt We got a you know, Rob King and Missy Matthews.
Speaker 3: We would talk to them in a while.
Speaker 2: And Chris Halleck and Bob Labriola and all those people that we enjoy talking to will be ramping all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Up as we roll along here. It's just day one hour number.
Speaker 3: We got here last night. I got here this morning, but I've seen most of those crew, and I probably see the rest of them tonight at Sharkies.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. Yeah, I saw some of them last night at Sharkies, and saw some of them this morning. One thing I'm gonna have to do a better job of. Matt is pacing myself a little bit throughout these days.
Speaker 2: I've been I've been out here since like eight o'clock and you and I have five straight hours of radio to do now because we have to go through a late show tonight too. Not as not as easy as the days of the past where you could sneak a little nap and before practice. Now practice is happening early and it's just go, go go, baby.
Speaker 3: Wes and I upgraded to the hotel so we're not in the dorms. But you gotta realize, I mean, that's the easiest drive ever. You could sneak over there, pretty easy. Yeah, I'd get a little nappy, little nap as we roll along. Heay one, you'll figure it out.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's training camp for everybody, as we like to say. But it is a beautiful day here. There was a little bit of rain earlier today. It's kind of a nice in the seventies, little overcast, a good day to be walking around campus here.
Speaker 4: We've got plenty to get to from today's practice.
Speaker 2: We've got plenty to get to from kind of bigger picture storylines that we'll be keeping an eye on. And of course, with training camps opening across the NFL, there's a lot of league news.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of signings and stuff that's happened just since we got together Monday.
Speaker 4: On Monday, Yeah, in the last forty eight hours or so, so good things.
Speaker 3: Oh we were bad about this Monday too. No video during camp? No video dor yea yeah.
Speaker 4: Yep, Our Guy TV.
Speaker 2: He'll be putting out little promos and stuff like that on the social media. But if you if you're somebody who typically likes to, you know, see Matt and I's beautiful mugs on YouTube and watching the visual element that we'll be back here in a couple of weeks as soon as camp is over, you know, around mid to late August. We will be back simulcast on YouTube as well. But during camp, kind of tough set up here in the boots and Our Guy TV just has a million different responsibilities. Dude, have you ever seen so much video and photo equipment as they had over there in the gymnasium.
Speaker 3: The name insane, Yeah, I mean maybe we can get into that, but I didn't know what a light box was, and there was smoke coming out, and I was like, Wow, they got a lot going on at Jim.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that a little bit on the other side and we'll start to break down all the movement and shaking here on campus and across the other thirty one NFL training camps just getting started. Here is our first day on campus on the Drive all live at Saint Vincent College and Latrobe, part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coveryp twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems DYLE EAT one one before you did, SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission, they said CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 4: Back on campus here as we roll along on the drive, and yes we do need to just quickly. It's funny, Matt.
Speaker 2: A few people have tweeted us Annie Michael angry bike Lane.
Speaker 4: You guys are back. Are you live? Yes, we are live. We are all the way live. You've got us from three until six.
Speaker 3: Although they can listen to this anytime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, of course, of course.
Speaker 2: But you also, yeah, we'll be live three to six here every single day that there is practice and again we have a few evening shows throughout the course of these few weeks as well a lot of new stuff as we outline.
Speaker 3: It's just breaking it so good.
Speaker 4: And you know what, I've always wondered that on golf.
Speaker 3: Courses they must be the best in the world, because.
Speaker 2: You think, especially now, like in the post COVID era, golf is more popular now than it's ever been. Like I feel like everybody my age plays golf, and a lot of times, you know, like you'll go to these courses and like the t boxes and everything are immaculate, and I'm like drives off of this every single day and for weeks and weeks and weeks at a time. But now I totally get it. Man, you can just cut some of that grass out replant it. Yeah, they've got like this big mallet hammer now that they're banging down all the all the new people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he's got this interesting spinning technique too. I mean he's and he keeps staring at it. I mean he's total perfectionist with it. And what I thought was cool too, is they brought over they were like discs. They were like, you know, maybe eight inches around something like that, and they were all stacked up like a like a gyro. He cut off of it, brought it like a big post and that's how they filled it in. But it's like little, you know, discs of sod and built this puzzle and then he's been beating it up and it looks ready to go. Man, it looks incredible.
Speaker 2: I know we said this last year, but we we got to get one of these grounds keeper guys on the on the show, one of these training camp.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this for years, right' that'd be a.
Speaker 2: Lot of fun earlier today, Like, so we started the show kind of talking about some of the changes. Yes, we're still at Saint Vincent. It's still La Trobe. It's still Chuck Nolefield. It's still Steelers training camp as it has been I think for like sixty seven of the last sixty nine years something like that, other than those those two years during COVID where teams weren't allowed to go off campus.
Speaker 4: Matt one of the news.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was an NFL role too. That wasn't even like a Rooney decision or a decision.
Speaker 2: And I think the first time it made sense, everyone understood, oh yeah, yeah, yeah. Second year it felt a little strict, and I don't think that a lot of people in black and gold circles were overly thrilled with the NFL making them.
Speaker 3: Go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to support all of our businesses, local businesses that we love out here.
Speaker 4: But Matt, it was not just a new in the sense of new head coach. A lot of different practice.
Speaker 2: Times, you know, some of these new things. But you and I earlier today had to put our best face forward.
Speaker 3: That was not something I'm accustomed to do.
Speaker 2: Definitely not so they This is Matt and I went through maybe fifteen to twenty minutes with the Steelers video guys and then with the photographers and uh and we had to do different poses and walkouts and fist bumps and you throw this football and you had football. And Matt was making fun of my spiral because it wasn't very good.
Speaker 3: Oh it really was not.
Speaker 4: Listen, I'm not a quarterback, all right, you know that was a defensive guy like.
Speaker 3: The hero though.
Speaker 2: But see, okay, I think I think it's harder to throw a spiral five yards away than it is fifteen yards away because you can't really get a I was all.
Speaker 3: So worried about clanking one off the I mean, I have a high release, you do, so I didn't want to like clank it off all the stuff that they built too.
Speaker 4: They built this huge, awesome set and there's a runway and there's some.
Speaker 3: Smoke machines, machines and smoke huge video behind you. I mean, it's stuff like they should use for Aaron Rodgers and t J.
Speaker 4: Watt.
Speaker 2: They do, right, but they so so Annie tweeted us the Gift of Zoolander, you know, with uh with with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson doing their best fashion impressions. Yeah that was that was Matt and I earlier today certainly, but yes, we are live for all of you wondering on Twitter, and you know with the with the bonus third hour that we will have all throughout training camp. Keep those tweets rolling in and UH and Matt and I will make sure to get to UH to those every single day as we roll along. Matt, let's talk a little bit about some of the UH, I don't know what you want to call them, procedural moves made by the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it ahead of topical ahead.
Speaker 2: Of training camp with I think namely Joey Porter Junior and Jalen Ramsey both starting.
Speaker 4: Camp on the pup list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kent is on as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm glad you mentioned which.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a particularly noteworthy because they are all three cornerbacks, you know, I mean, and Kent you feel bad for because there's been a lot of instances what was his name, Watts Watts with Texas that like, you know, late round pick that's not guaranteed anything. You start your career injured in those first two years or so, no matter how good you are, you're pretty much swimming up scream because you just don't have a chance to show anybody. So I feel for him, and I kind of forgot how the severity of his injury until it was reported that he's starting on PUP, So we'll monitor that, but he's not going to probably have a ton of time to show off for the team. Maybe again, I don't know how you know when he's gonna be back. What's cool about pup. It's not like injury reserve you can pull a guy off tomorrow. Ye, I mean, these days come and go.
Speaker 4: It's not like the d L and Baseball or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sixty day injured reserve or DL or whatever. So maybe he's back here sooner than later, or maybe he's an IR candidate for the whole year. I don't know, Ramsey, I guess tweaked something.
Speaker 2: In me that Omar Khan said in minicamp. Yes, he said he should only be out for a couple of weeks. Here we go, per general manager Omar Khan. Jalen Ramsey suffered a knee injury during the team's mini camp, and I quote, we're going to be smart about it.
Speaker 4: He's a pro. You guys know how hard he works.
Speaker 2: If I had a guess, I would say it's probably going to be a couple of weeks end quote.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I have sort of a tinfoil hat theory on the Ramsey.
Speaker 4: We play the conspiracy music.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I'm not saying he's not injured. We don't. No one thinks he's got the catastrophic injury or if this was Raven's week, that he wouldn't be practicing, you know, And this is true all the way across the league. Also noted if you rewind twenty minutes, this new head coach is very, very injury conscious and wants to get his eyes to the starting line, which get used to it, you know. And however, there were two players and I didn't attend Mini caamp in OTAs all that much at all, but either way, you wouldn't have known these answers. There's two players I really wanted to see usage here, Ramsey Roger Jones, who will get to in a minute, because he's also notable.
Speaker 4: He's in this conversation, but in an encouraging.
Speaker 3: Way, right, And I wonder is the rest of the league also interested in what they're gonna do? This is my tenfoil half part. They've been kind of quiet when all the Beat reporters saying, you know, when there's four dbs out there, is Ramsey gonna be a safety. Is he gonna be your Kyle Hamilton? Is he gonna be your Derwin James Cooper, de Jene slot guy? And I think he probably will be all those things. I don't think he'll come off the field. I think they'll play a ton of nickel the nickel the star position is more important than ever and mentioned a couple of the prominent names. But I also wonder if, hey, maybe we don't need to reveal that to the world right now. Sure you know that every time that I've heard of defensive coach being asked about it, they're pretty vague. And maybe that just comes from the top. There's no reason for the Falcons to know exactly what Ramsey's gonna do. I just have a hunch that they have big plans for him that maybe we don't need to show the world at late July.
Speaker 2: You know, I think you might be onto something there. And if I, uh, if I asked you to put your tinfoil hat on with with Joey Porter Junior, do you think some of that is just obvious we're in contract negotiations. Maybe it's a you know, a pseudo hold in type thing, if you will, Yeah, you know, maybe he had something little that he tweaked, and they just thought, hey, let's you know, let's take our time with this.
Speaker 3: Think that. And again, I don't think this is like unlawful or you know, like not breaking any rules.
Speaker 4: No, not at all mischievous or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But you know, I was chatting with one of our colleagues earlier, and you know, no one can really prove if your backs up. Sure, you know, it's like good not the next acting up up right now. I can go on pump for one day or three days or whatever, we can pull you right off. But my hunch is sometime in these coming weeks he there will be an announcement Joey Porter signs an extension with the Pittsburgh Steelers for X amount of dollars and maybe not coincidentally, the next day he's on the field. That's just my hunch, you know.
Speaker 4: I think that will happen.
Speaker 3: Keeping everybody safe, you know, right right, and and along.
Speaker 2: The themes of kind of what we've been talking about with Mike McCarthy right right right, of wanting to get to that starting line it's July, with as much help as possible. This is another something that Motes used to talk about like the first day out here, if you even are one hundred percent at that point, that's the last time you're one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: It's all downhill from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might get to the regular season at ninety seven ninety eight percent.
Speaker 3: Love these percents that people give to like it's.
Speaker 2: A video game or your health, you know, Yeah, but like this is the last time you're truly if you can even come in here with a clean bill.
Speaker 3: Of health, this is good.
Speaker 4: This is as good as it gets. And so hey preserve that as long as you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay as close to one hundred as you can, because there's gonna be times you're again. I don't know the percentages. You might be a thirty or you know. So the longer you can keep yourself in tip top shape, the better. And I think this head coach very much embraces that.
Speaker 2: Yes he does, and we have we've seen that, we've heard that just a just a small snapshot today, but it was a and I should be fair. The first practice is always a little bit shorter.
Speaker 4: It's true. It's acclimation periods.
Speaker 2: The first time out here, you kind of get everybody where they need to be and lay the groundwork and get things started and make sure you uh you know, live to to continue to fight many many many more days out here. It also sounds like Matt that you know from from uh and we'll we'll hear a little bit from Mike McCarthy and some of the things that he had to say today, but today, and I think it was on Monday, either Monday or yesterday, Tuesday when he kind of did his pre training camp press conference talking about just how much of this was going to be detail oriented, coaching oriented, and at what seems like Matt that evening film sessions are going to be a big part of this training camp too.
Speaker 3: Okay, not that they weren't again, but I'm sure that some teams are some coaching a stress different things more than others.
Speaker 2: When you're practicing until five, yeah, and then you're out on the field for another half an hour to do an extra work, and then you gotta get changed, then you got to dinner, then you gotta get treatment. The evening zaps up pretty quickly as opposed to now where these guys still have a lot of hours in the day.
Speaker 3: That makes sense, makes sense, And I meant to say this too that by no means after watching acclamation practice one, they're not standing around doing nothing. No, I mean there's still a lot, a lot of coaching going on. I would think a lot of fundamental stuff, a lot of mental stuff. These are two new systems. Let's take it from the whiteboard to the field. It wasn't like Watt and Hayward and Frasier and Metcalf and those guys are just standing around with their helmets. They're all out on the field doing being coached up. You know. It's just they're just not banging.
Speaker 2: They absolutely not yet, and we'll see some of it. We will definitely see some of it. They're not gonna pillow fight out here for a three weeks, but it's gonna be a very interesting process to follow, a different process, certainly.
Speaker 4: The one that we've seen over the last nineteen years.
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 2: There was good news on the pup list, and that revolving around Roderick Jones, a first round pick, former first round pick for the Steelers, who has a lot on the line this year for both his Black and Gold future and his future in the National Football League. Let's talk a little bit about some good news there and just some early thoughts on this offensive line that really feels like a major make or break. How does it all come together? How good can they be for the Steelers and for the offense this season. We'll do that when we return. What Shooler Matt Williamson. It is the Drive Live at Training Camp, Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood. Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's Get Started Member FDIC, West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: So we discussed some of the hits to the pup list now, namely all in the Steelers secondary for the past worm there all at one position, But there was good news, surprising news, I think, Matt from whence we last heard an update on Roger Jones's health. There were questions about if he would even be ready for the start of training camp, if we would see him at all during this process, of course, recovering from that neck injury that he sustained in Chicago this past winter, past fall, past season. Well, Matt, not only is Roger Jones not starting training camp on the pup list, he was out here today and active at the first practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. And it was a small sample size because we'd go do our photo shoot and runway stuff and all that, and you know, again, they're not banging, you know. But from what I saw, it looked it looked like he was playing left tackle as Falton, who's backup.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Now, I think there's a lot of options for him. I mean, could he compete with Max and Cook at the right tackle spot. We've seen him play both. Could he just be the backup left tackle? I think either one of those are possible. They could bounce them back and forth. I saw a little bit of Cook lining up on the left side too. He's also done both over his career. Could Jones get involved with the right guard battle.
Speaker 4: I think anything is possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I think he's a real wild card. And really has been for different reasons throughout the course of his career. But I'm not saying the old OH line coach is bad. But you have a new O line coach, maybe they unlock some things with him. He has shown spurts of playing really well. It's the problem is his lows are just two lows.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: He gets particularly in past blocking. When he gets beat, he gets beat quick and bad.
Speaker 2: It's like a zero out of ten. Yeah, It's not a five or a six. It's like he'll put he'll put in a bunch of seven and eight's out of ten and then a zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And that's rough because it's really hard to trust your blind side protector and that capacity to because you never know when it's coming. And there's been times over his career where in the run blocking game, I don't say he didn't know who to block, but he also was not getting to where he needed to be consistently, you know, And if you got a run play and one guy blows his block, the other four could be perfect and the play might still get blown up. So just too much inconsistency. But it was very talented. He's getting a new coaching staff, a new scheme, maybe new positions. I'm just real curious to see where they line him up. And I guess I haven't brought this up enough on these airwaves because we've been on for a while. Either. If you look at McCarthy's history, this really goes back to Green Bay and green Bay still this way. They did it with Tyron Smith, who was a really, really good tackle first round pick, moved them to guard and he might be the best guard in the league in Dallas, but they will play tackles at guard more than maybe any coaching group in the league.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They able to get their best five out there, and hey, I'll put the six to five guy that can handle the power over the six to three stumpy dude, you know. And so maybe he factors in more than you think, is all I'm saying. There's just a lot of avenues that he can influence things. There's a lot Maybe it looks great and they trade him for a third um, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: There's there's a lot of avenues that he can influence things.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of options in a lot of ways to deploy this offensive line, which feels way different than this time last year.
Speaker 4: Matt where we liked. We liked the starting five, but there was a lot.
Speaker 2: Of questions about depth behind them and what happens if somebody goes down. And thankfully Dylan Cooked proved that he could play a role out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you found something there.
Speaker 2: Spencer Anderson proved that he could play a role out there. But this year, I mean, you you just.
Speaker 3: Keep drafting tackles. This is what happened.
Speaker 2: To just keep drafting tackles, and you still have McCormick, and you still have Jennings Dunker, and you still have brock Hoffman, and you still have Spencer Anderson and man.
Speaker 4: Just that's one of the things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: When Micha McCarthy spoke today, he talked about, you know, keeping an eye out for different combinations, like it's one of the things that he mentioned was kind of versatility is always key for your first couple of practices, but especially those combinations on the offensive line. He advised paying less attention to the starting five at this juncture and more to which offensive linemen are working together. So like, for example, one snap, you could see Dylan Cook and Spencer Anderson on the right side, which is what we saw to start today, which is what we saw back at OTA's at Mini camp. Then it could be Anderson and Maxie on a chore. Uh you know, you could have Faltonu and McCormick on the left side. Brock Hoffman's gonna get some opportunity to bump in there. It also sounds like, according to to Mike McCarthy, that we might see, uh, you know, brock Hoffman take some reps at center whenever Zach Frazier he's listed.
Speaker 3: On the depth start or on the official roster as a center that before we went on the air. So he'll do all three. He'll he'll he'll play both.
Speaker 2: Guards, and he's one of those guys I think that you want as part of your equation who can really play all three. It's it's a strength to play all three of those interior positions. But Matt, they have to figure route still the best five. There's maybe more questions about the best five this year than there has been in the last couple of years. But I think that's because you can legitimately see eight different guys really being in that conversation.
Speaker 3: Right, which is exactly how Omar has always wanted it since his first draft when he did draft Fraser and Jones and those guys because we have those same conversations. Then it's like, boy, what James Daniels gets hurt and her big gets hurt and the young guys never gave the job up because they had a wealth of these dudes, and maybe they were taken the job sooner than later anyways, especially at center. But I found it interesting. I think. I'm not sure I sent it to you.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: I was listening to a podcast over the last two weeks where someone was really talking about how valuable every team's sixth offensive lineman is, and no matter how this shakes out, I think the Steelers sixth though lineman and probably seventh, they'll probably be a tackles or six and an interior guy like Hoffin is your seventhing to be better than most teams? You know? So, But I don't remember the number exactly, but I think it's somewhere along the lines of if you take every team starting five in Week one, whoever they put out there in the first snap of the NFL season, how many snaps other than those five do NFL teams average from offensive linemen, And it's like seven hundred over the course of a year. I mean that's maybe throwing a six guy out there for a couple of plays, your guard gets heart for three weeks, you lose your left tackle for sixteen games, and you got to play twelve or twelve hundred snaps there. So that's six guys almost like the sixth guy in the NFL or in the NBA, like you better be good. The Steelers had some immaculate luck back in the the Castro Pouncy years where they didn't have to dig into their depth, but almost every team does. And if your six and seventh guys are highly capable of playing six hundred, seven hundred snaps and you know, it's a difference, but it's not a catastrophic difference, I think you're in really good shape. And not to mention that the youth there, I mean a lot of these guys. Best football is probably ahead of them.
Speaker 4: It absolutely is. And yeah, you're right, man.
Speaker 2: There was that stretch there when the Steelers offensive line, you know, Dan Moore Junior and Kevin Dotson and Mason Cole like, those guys had a insanely I guess you could call it lucky.
Speaker 3: They played a lot of STAPs.
Speaker 2: I think between all that one year, I think between all five starting offensive linemen, one of them missed one game, and that was it.
Speaker 3: Like that, just two or three years in a row, they were like the luckiest line in the league in terms of injuries.
Speaker 4: And then we saw it go the reverse way.
Speaker 2: Like you talked about where you lost Nate Herbert early on in training camp, you lost Faltanu and James Daniels early in the season.
Speaker 3: What if you hadn't drafted three that year draft and three offensive linemans A lot, a lot, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you thought you could stash McCormick and really let him develop and marinate and take his time, and all of a sudden early in the season, Daniels goes down. I think it was an Indianapolis I want to say, and and.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we're hoping, Matt that that is not the case that you have the good injury luck this year. And then you know what if you got eight or nine guys who could play and you have some injury fortune things, you know, guys stay healthy, That's when I think you can start fielding some phone calls too, like you were mentioning, because I know this is something that is always discussed around the draft and the combine and free agency. But we know offensive line play across the board in the NFL right now is maybe the weakest overall positional group.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially when you look at who they have to block.
Speaker 2: You look at all these apex predators on the defensive lines that continue to get one hundred million dollar contracts. Hey, having a lot of guys who are viable is very important, and the Steelers might be, uh, they might even have an abundance of riches in that in that department.
Speaker 3: So I've read some O line rankings, you know, one to thirty two, and not the contradict what you said, But when I was starting at the bottom, I kind of thought, boy, some of these bad old lines are a little better than I thought, you know, the Browns, the Texans, all these ones that have totally revamped themselves, you know. And then it dawned on me. It's like they do in July. But the second one guy goes down and you got to dig into that six and seven hundred snaps per year or whatever it is, or maybe more. Some of these lines are walking a thin, thin ice, you know, not hoping to hope to fall in. And I don't think the Steelers are in that boat.
Speaker 4: I do not think so either. I think, in fact, the ice is pretty thick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like the pond hockey ice that was playing on back in January, matt when it was single degree temperatures for three straight weeks in western Pennsylvania could have drilled into that ice.
Speaker 3: Baby. My dad told a story on vacation the other day. They used to fish a ton and the four of them that would always go fishing, the heaviest dude was the guy that would walk out on the ice first, and they'd just tie a rope around him because we'll follow you, you know. So Bob Dolan, big big heavy Bob walks out there, falls through. They pull him in, you know, dry him off, get him the car, dry him off. They fish for the day, and then they're they're coming on the way home. They're like, let's stop at Lake Arthur too. You know, we we we've been wanting to hit here for a while or whatever. Bob going out there falls twice a day.
Speaker 2: That's a scary problem. There's been there's been a couple of times in my pond hockey days that you hear that run and you're like, all right, boys, what's up? Nope, try in next weekend.
Speaker 4: Hour of the.
Speaker 2: Books two more hours to go. We got to go around the league with some other big news. We've got to hear from some of these Steelers after today's practice. Cam Hayward spoke our King, Zach Fraser spoke Mason Rudolph, Michael Pittman Junior.
Speaker 4: I saw a lot of different stuff to get to here over the next two.
Speaker 3: Hours's a good looking cat by the way, if you haven't seen him in person yet, he is pretty Yeah. Yeah, they're huge, man. I mean there's pass catchers are giganormous.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever heard Matt Williamson disc I'm one of the Steelers is pretty, So I'll take his.
Speaker 4: Word for it.
Speaker 3: Four ripped up looks looking good.
Speaker 2: It looks prettier than the girlfriends that I used to have. Hour of the Books, two more hours to go. Yeueler Ed Williamson, Hi, a top chuck nole field here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio. On the Steelers' Audio network