Speaker 1: As media, what's up, Y'all's your favorite cousin again?
Speaker 2: Prop is in the building?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying, well in y earbuds or speakers, however the hell you listen to this, your favorite cousin is here. I am going to assume that that is the truth, and since you can't answer me, we just gonna go with that. It's been a while since I tapped in with y'all ruined your music festivals and then told you about your municipalities and your waters. Somebody reached out to us, who you know, gestures wildly. We have not been able to get back to her, but about how she was a part of an effort to non privatize the water inside of her neighborhood and district and they won.
Speaker 2: So shout out to you.
Speaker 1: We apologize if you've You know, our job has not been boring.
Speaker 2: Since the start of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: But today I'm gonna bring you some blackness, some genuine blackness, and then some This has to be a black conversation.
Speaker 2: Because you, matter of fact as are racist.
Speaker 1: I have to approach it like this because crime has become a color mute term in the era of Trump. It kind of always has been, but it's really obvious now with the National Guard being unleashed onto the streets of Washington, d C. There's this some sort of clearly obvious conflation between the houseless population, poverty, crime black folks. Like, it's all kind of like one thing with this food, which is not rocket science for y'all, it's just you know what he talking about. You know how I know this how he thinks is because whenever he talks about black people supporting him, he talks about criminal reform, because apparently that's what all black.
Speaker 2: People care about.
Speaker 1: Only just like you know, when he's say immigration, he mean Latino And the whole not feeling safe is just because you know, the crime that the houseless population of DC have is being ill. That's the crime, because they No one has ever given me a legitimate reason as to why not having a place to stay as a crime. Hell, you know, Margaret Kill joined him have this whole joint about loitering and loitering laws like truancies. Why I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is the crime is that you exist. So today I want to talk to y'all about something that y'all already know.
Speaker 2: Which is it's never been about the crime. All right.
Speaker 1: Now, first of all, some stuff that don't matter. Y'all still following Drake. I don't know if y'all like, Okay, my crowd is following Drake. Let me stop making a difference between us.
Speaker 2: But listen.
Speaker 1: So you know Drake suing UMG and his label over, you know, not like us, and just proven that he's not like us anyway. The new thing in this man's lawsuit he is he's demanding UMG bring evidence over to push the teeth thing.
Speaker 2: What do I mean by to push the teeth thing? When Push the T came.
Speaker 1: At him, which we can all agree if you in the rap, he won also shout out the clips. So when you go back to the Push the Teeth time, this is the back to back and I'm charged up that time he was like, Yo, I'm gonna show y'all the emails, and y'all bring in the emails from when you guys were suppressing Push the T's stuff, when you guys were like making sure that like it got copyright claimed and stuff getting off the streamers and pulled down all the say, man, you helped me suppress this man's music. When Push the te came after me. Why y'all don't do it with not like us.
Speaker 2: Which means your corny ass you just told on yourself. Oh so push it was right.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is and you trying to take down Kendrick unsnitched on twenty eighteen, you right, okay, so because you had to label interfere with this battle fam. Now, if you want to hear some more like real just rapping ass rappers, there's this great battle that was going on between Joey Badass and Ray Vaughn and then somehow it became a triple with this dude named Daylight and this other brother named Reason. These were some really really dope bars. Now Absol got into the middle of it. But now Apsol, Rhapsody, and Joey are going on tour, which sucks because I'm on the same management team as all of them, and I ain't on that tour.
Speaker 2: I wish I was, though it'd.
Speaker 1: Be a rap and rapping tour, but I definitely don't do the numbers they do anyway. Today, you know, in light of like I said, the Feds in DC, Trump keep claiming these emergency cases that gives him these powers to do these different things. And as a side note, remember when Jay six happened and he was like, well, Nancy Pelosi should have called in the National Guard. Shan't call in the passion of guard? What was President Trump's supposed to do? Well, I would think what he's doing now, because they used to say these same people that was arguing that Trump ain't had a power to stop it, meaning he didn't have the power to call in the National Guard, are also praising him right now for using his presidential power to call in the National Guard. Boy, I tell you, racism make you dumb as hell. But in light of this, despite all evidence showing that the crime rate has dropped thirty percent in DC, this man still keeps talking about the crime wave and the safety or the lack of safety that people feel in DC. Now, I'm gonna let Bridget do a full episode on really what's going on in Chocolate City? My mama from DC. You know, my whole mama side of the family still out there. So I used to spend every other summer in DC. Now, don't give me it wrong. Being down thirty percent is absolutely positive, But DC ain't safe now. It depends on what parts you in see, that's the thing about crime statistics. But before I get into crime statistics, I need to talk about the concept of crime.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: This will be no surprise to y'all because you listen to cool Zone media.
Speaker 2: Crime is made up.
Speaker 1: Now, criminal crime, I think it's very important to understand that it is a social construct.
Speaker 2: Now what do I mean by that?
Speaker 1: What I mean is it's situational, right, How the same act can mean two different things. Now, this is a conceptual thing that obviously our felt experience is a little more real.
Speaker 2: But let me give you an example.
Speaker 1: Let a disaster hit, a hurricane, an earthquake, a flood. If I go into that grocery store and get some bread, am I looting or scavenging? Am I stealing or surviving? And the answer is depends on what color you are. Crime is a social construct. Because if that's the case, how is George Zimmerman still walking? Having said that, one could take this argument and go super bonkers on it and say the same thing about pedophilia, Like, who's to say that what Epstein did is a crime? Because, like you said, crime is a social construct. Here's my answer to that. It's social because we live in a social soci it t fam. Although borders are made up, so is money, and so are driver's licenses. Of course, there's no force field at the forty ninth parallel that separates Canada from America. However, we have decided that before you get behind the wheel of a car, you better have passed some sort of examination for us to know that you're safe enough to drive behind this You could physically drive this car, but we live in a society that says, hey, homy, I need you to make sure.
Speaker 2: We need to have some sort of due diligence.
Speaker 1: We have decided as a species that is self aware that our children matter.
Speaker 2: Their safety is important to us.
Speaker 1: The person standing next to you has the right to exist. Whether you like that person or not, they have the right to exist. You cannot hold them against they will. That's hey be as corpus, apparently unbeknownst to Christy Nole, who clearly don't.
Speaker 2: Know what hate be as corpus means.
Speaker 1: As a whole other topic, what is criminal and what is lawful is something that we've agreed upon in our social contract. Now, we, however, live in a modern secular democracy which says that we have a say in what becomes laws or not so and got to just lay down and let you just cause stuff a crime that ain't a crime or that shouldn't be a crime. Now, speaking of what is and is an crime, here's the thing Black people have been telling you the answer for a long time, specifically rappers. Okay, Now, I saw a TikTok about this, and it's very irresponsible of me that I can't remember love Hommy's name and I can't you know, you get the suggested, you know, or yeah, just stuff pop in like before you. I cannot find Brad Brushs TikTok black Man, super brilliant, but he reminded me of some lyrics that Freeway said that captures the point of what we're trying to make. I love his dude's TikTok man, God, I gotta find it. Hopefully, I'll hopefully I'll find it and put it in the show notes. But Freeway's verse with a song with jay Z says, we still hustle to the sun come up, crack a forty when the sun go down. It's a cold winter, y'all, niggas better bundle up. I bet it's a hot summer. Grab an onion just to rock it down, you hot, Now listen up, follow me. You don't know the cops soul purposes to lock us down. Throw away to key. But without this drug shit, your kids ain't got no way to eat.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: We still trying to keep mom smiling because when her teeth stops showing and her stomach start growling, then the heat start flowing. If you from my hood, you know you feel me keep going, the sneaks start leaning and the heat stop working, then my heat start working, I'm gonna rob me a person.
Speaker 2: Okay, now listen.
Speaker 1: These are the lyrics that Lil Bra quoted in his TikTok, and the point he's making, which is the same point I'm making, is that he's talking about the solutions to crime. Like he said it right there, like I just want my mom to smile. My kids don't have any other way to eat. And then he says, when the heat stop working, then my heat start working, I'm gonna rob me a person.
Speaker 2: It is resources.
Speaker 1: But again, follow what this brood trying to tell you is that you putting law enforcement in our neighborhoods doesn't fix anything?
Speaker 2: Does you?
Speaker 1: Does what we're saying, He's like, no, you just want to lock us up. That is not solving the problem. The problem is I'm hungry, My mama's hungry, my kids are hungry. My sneaks start leaning. What he's talking about is his tennis shoes as sneakers, they're leaning. You know, when you walk on your sneakers too much in the back of your shoes in the back house start running around the side. Then it starts thinning out, so it's like the back of your shoe just looks uneven. That's when your sneaks are leaning. This is what he's trying to say. My stomach is rumbling. Had we had better funded schools, had we had more opportunities, he was like, I'm robbing this person because there is no other OPA. Now, are there other options? Maybe, But if you're gonna do the math, listen, this is simple economics. If you want to make one thousand dollars tonight because the rents do tomorrow, you go over to Spanish Jose's house. Spanish Jose say, hey, listen, you ain't got to do nothing. Just put this bag in your backseat and drive the park slope, drop it off a comeback, or you can go.
Speaker 2: Work twenty dollars an hour at McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Ain't no uncles with endowments, and check this out exactly. Let me push you even further, even if you are smarty awt Now, even if you're a smart one. The government just told Harvard that they can't recruit in my neighborhood, even if I got the grades for it, because that's woke shit.
Speaker 2: So what you want? What the fuck you want me to do?
Speaker 1: Now here's the premise of what I'm talking about, which is, we know the solutions. It's never been about crime, okay, but let me talk about out some folks, some black folks who do care about the solution, who do care about crime. Because if we're talking about crime in our urban areas, who the fuck do you think the crimes are against? And see, that's the part that makes me so mad. When I be talking to these people. You think we don't care because who are these crimes getting carried out against.
Speaker 2: You think we happy to see all them police.
Speaker 1: One would think, if it worked, we would be happy to see all these police in our streets.
Speaker 2: But you know what, the shit don't help. Okay.
Speaker 1: What I'm gonna do in the rest of the show is prove to y'all, based on decades of research, what does reduce crime.
Speaker 2: We're gonna link all the things in the bio.
Speaker 1: I knew I had to come my a game if I'm going on the cappen here, because these some of the smartest people like y'all. Listen, the people on this show, y'all, y'all is like real journalists. I'm just a rapper that knows how to explain shit. So I needed to make sure that i have my ducks in a row. So I'm about to show y'all a trillion examples of where if you really from these blocks, if you really do care about the welfare of black people, then maybe you should listen to black people see and let me bring in my trans community here because they problem with you this. To be honest with y'all, I'm gonna be transparent, which this is part of what radicalized me whilst really started to understand the trans experience is because the shit they say about us is the shit they say about you. Your crime is we just don't like you around. At the end of the day, all these laws against trans people is really just because you just think they gross And so with us, it was just like you, like, what is redlining, discriminatory practices in jobs? You just don't want us around. What is white flight, you just don't want us around. And your justification of this is this made up ass word name crime and that you care that crime at But Nikki, you don't. Okay, I'm getting getting ahead of myself. Let's take a break. All right, here we go. I've calmed down. So the first thing you want to think about is how crime is reported, right in the ways for which it's reported, and then the geographical locations that we're talking about. So when you say the crime in Washington, DC, it's not like the crime happens in an evenly distributed thing, Like it's not all of DC, if you will, there's northeast, Northwest, Southeast, south southeast, and southwest. Now due to gentrification, southeast which is where Anacostia is and was at one time the sort of mecha of just like Black DC of chocolate Cy, Chocola Cy. The whole city was chocolate forever. Like I said, I noticed because I spent every other summer there and my mama from there. But like Southeast DC is the last non gentrified area. Now do you think it's thugs sitting on the National Monument sipping forty ounces.
Speaker 2: No you out there with the tourists sipping macha.
Speaker 1: So in one sense is when you say crime has dropped thirty percent, it's like thirty percent since when?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: And is it averaged across all of DC or are you talking about in its areas where things like carjackings, homicides and stuff like that happened right now? Remember what I talked about a long time ago, at least on my show. Hopefully y'all remember this that the crime rates in America is always a weird situation because we don't live in America. You live in your city, so maybe is going crazy in your own local neighborhoods, so you feel like, damn, this place is wild. Or maybe, like I said, maybe you're in like Northwest Portland, you know what I'm saying. Like you know, over there off Gleason, you feel me in like it's nice, you know what I mean? Like you don't never see a single But if you live over there in Chinatown next to Voodoo Donuts, Dog, you seem like you walking over zombies.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to say is sometimes the statistics can be deceiving. Now Granny and them who you know, bought their house a long time ago. They see the graffiti on the wall and they think, you know, YadA YadA, the boys like loitering outside. How do you fix it? Well, allow me to introduce it to Philadelphia, which coincidentally is where Freeway is from.
Speaker 2: So the data is pretty clear. You know.
Speaker 1: If you look at the Violent Crime Reduction Report, it's literally it's at the Department of Justice.
Speaker 2: You can read it yourself.
Speaker 1: It tells you exactly what has worked to drop homicide, violent crime, carjacking, theft. It tells you what has worked, what has not worked. A simple google right, and the intro of this is this is a violent crime reduction between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty five, and it says for the past three years, the Justice Department has been executing comprehensive strategies to reduce violent crime rooted in local communities, and we're seeing trends in the form of crimes being prevented in live saved. According to available data from twenty twenty three, murder, rape, robbery, and aggregated assault is in a considerable decline and nearly ninety major cities across the country. Violent crime has continued to drop during the last six months of this year compared to the same period last year, including a seventeen percent decrease in homicide.
Speaker 2: This is the Deputy.
Speaker 1: Attorney General Monkyo on September seventeenth, twenty twenty four. Now, to keep it very real again, violent crime rates being up and down are obviously relative. Now, one thing was, well, we were in a pandemic, so there's that, right. Another thing is it's almost like how everybody was complaining again that crime was up.
Speaker 2: It's like y'all forgot the nineties existed.
Speaker 1: Like I lived it, and baby, this ain't nothing, you know, the actual fear of pain and suffering.
Speaker 2: This pales in comparison.
Speaker 1: We live in a great place in relation to what we went through in the eighties and nineties. Now again we're talking national trends right again. In your local neighborhood, it may be it may be a green light apvening.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying for you to say that our country's becoming a cess.
Speaker 2: Pool means you not reading the data.
Speaker 1: According to the Conversation, it's like independent journalist this author.
Speaker 2: Her name is Katerina g Roman.
Speaker 1: She's a professor of criminal justice at Temple University and as a side note, at Temple University, Mahomie Timothy, he's teaching a class on Kendrick.
Speaker 2: Lamar and his lyrics and hip hop and justice.
Speaker 1: I actually spoke at his class a couple of times, so that was pretty dope to hear what he's doing.
Speaker 2: But now check this out.
Speaker 1: According to her writing, it says that the Pennsylvania spends roughly two hundred thousand dollars a year for each juvenile it incarcerates. According to the twenty twenty one report from a bipartisan Pennsylvania Juvenile Justice Track Force, that's fifty times the cost to deliver evidence based family therapy that would prevent kids from going into the justice system in the first place. I'm gonna tell you before I even read the rest of this, because I lived it. We just be bored. It ain't nothing to do. There are no opportunities. When the heat stopped working, then my heat start working. In Philadelphia, juvenile incarceration involves the confinement in city ran Philadelphia Juvenile Services and other residential placements facilities young people leave these facilities with lower chances of graduating high school, freight mental health, and the higher likelihood of re arrest or being shot. Can I again please speak from my own experience. When you go into these juveniles cases, you have to pick a location of people that you would fo protection, even if you don't run with them, even if you an'll know them niggas outside here, when y'all get outside, y'all may never have talked again. But in here, even if you went in there over some stupid like shoplift, is some damn spray paint, whatever the case may be, you now got to run with the people that got your same skin tone and are from your part of town. You have to kids. Don't go in being members of gangs. You have to join one to stay alive. Now check this out. When you get out. Part of the terms of your probation is you can't be around certain criminal festivities or activities or people.
Speaker 2: With criminal records. Where you're gonna go.
Speaker 1: If I just happen to live on sixtieth Street next to my uncle, I just live here. You mess around, go visit your granny house, and then it got a report to your PO. You've been fragnized when known gang members. You're probably going back. This shit don't work, y'all. But what does now?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: Back to this article, drawing from about thirty five years of work in Philadelphia and other cities to understand what makes neighborhoods safe for I believe the surest returns home from prevention strategies aimed at young people who are not yet immersed in robbery, shootings and gun activities. Right so they give some examples of the things that they've done. First of it is a school based case management in Barthrom High now in southwest Philly, John Bartram High Schools has a youth violence reduction initiative that launched in twenty twenty three. It was designed by former school safety chief in Philadelphia now Philadelphia Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel, School Safety Offer Programs Manager Ken Rosa, and criminal justice researcher Brandy Blasco and.
Speaker 2: This person that wrote the article.
Speaker 1: Students who have been involved in fights or show other risk factors of violence and street gang.
Speaker 2: Involvements are referred to this program.
Speaker 1: The initiative's core idea is simple, earn students trust through consistent, credible mentorship and step in when needed. Stepping in means teaching conflict resolution skills, running engaging workshops, buying a meal, intervening when a fight is brewing or a student is on the verge of being expelled. Each week, a team of administrators, counselors, school safety officers, and community outreach workers, most of whom are based in the school, review the participants, progress, the tracks, follow through referrals, and coordinate communication with family, school and staff. This is a tightly managed, relationship driven safety net that gives students quicker access to help make school climates calmer and safer.
Speaker 2: This seems so obvious. You just need somebody you trust. Listen. One of the things even in.
Speaker 1: My own house, my own life was I knew my neighbors, and my neighbors knew me, and if they call me outside standing with the wrong people, I knew they was going to tell Mama. Sometimes, since they're teenagers, they don't have conflict resolution skills. All they know is to pop off. You ever been angry? You don't think kids be angry. Your teacher in there asking you about your algebra homework, your stomach rumbling. I ain't got shit to say to her because I'm hungry. And sometimes it's just a meal. Sometimes it's just knowing somebody cares. Sometimes it's just you feel like I know. I've experienced it too. I feel like it's not even they ain't even no reason to explain my position to you, because you're.
Speaker 2: Not gonna believe me, or you just gonna call the police.
Speaker 1: I taught a kid, I've said this story so many times who used to show up late in class. When I used to teach, he show up late in class maybe three to four times a week, always had his homework in his hand. You've tarty that many times were supposed to call a truancy officer. Ain't no way in the world I'm calling a truancy officer because that means they mama gonna have to pay a twenty five hundred dollar fee.
Speaker 2: Number one and number two. Now he got a record.
Speaker 1: All I did, guys, I just asked him, why are you late every day?
Speaker 2: He say, because he trusts me.
Speaker 1: My daddy'd be drinking too much at night, so he can't get up and take us to school. So I take my brother to school first and then come here.
Speaker 2: And this is just the time I get here.
Speaker 1: I never marked him thirty, since all you do is ask, right, which leads me to the second thing, the power of credible caring adults.
Speaker 2: It's real simple.
Speaker 1: You got people that care, you got food programs. All right, let me nerd it up again now. According to the Youth Justice Services, Relationships, Rehabilitation, and the Reality of Young People Involved a metasynthesis of qualitative literature. This is a scholarly literature reviewed results that says that just having an adult who you know cares, just having one that cared, changes significantly the chances of a student getting into a life of crime.
Speaker 2: But just knowing somebody care.
Speaker 1: I'm going to link in it again into these show notes, all of the data, all the stuff I've been looking at, so you can check it out yourself. I know it seems like a gross oversimplification by the way that I'm just saying it right now. Usually you know what I'm saying. If we was doing the it can happen here thing. I got to be able to read this stuff out to you, but I can read a part of it. It says that that the themes that broke out after interviewing one hundred and fifty kids is that young people reported first being pessimistic about entering these services, and their past experiences impacted their ability to trust and were initially cautious of professionals.
Speaker 2: But watch this.
Speaker 1: These were the themes and sub themes they felt valued and finding worth within their system. The reciprocal nature of understanding and respect. These kids felt respected, the importance of having one good person, creating a secure base for exploration and development, and then showing a genuine care by going above an beyond.
Speaker 2: So basically, just be kind.
Speaker 1: And it helps a student sixed.
Speaker 2: Ain't that crazy?
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, homicides at Philadelphia at the lowest level they've been in twenty five years.
Speaker 2: How it's long time and it takes effort.
Speaker 1: But next, I want to talk about whoa the city of Baltimore or is new mayor up there cooking?
Speaker 2: All right? Next? All right, we bike now Baltimore.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you notice which I love about it, and of course you probably don't know about it because.
Speaker 2: A black man did this.
Speaker 1: Baltimore's homicide rate has fallen forty percent. Baltimore, you understand, this is where the wire took place. Don't get me wrong about Baltimore. Baltimore active murder capitalal of a dog. Oh listen, Baltimore was active now. According to the Guardian, violent crime in America's big cities has been receiving since the pandemic for about two years. But even in comparisons baltimore improvement is breathtaking. Fewer people have been killed in the city over the last seven months than any other particular period for fifty years.
Speaker 2: Here's the funny part.
Speaker 1: Mississippi talking about sending a National Guard up to DC to help with the crime in DC. Meanwhile, Jackson, Mississippi, got a higher murder rate than DC. Right now, y'all, people, is weird. It's never been about crime now, back to Guardian. As of fifteen August, the running three hundred and sixty five day total for murders in Baltimore stood at one hundred and sixty five dead. Assuming the city remains that pace, the murder rate will finish below thirty per ten thousand residents for the first time.
Speaker 2: Since nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: If it remains on pace since the first of January, it would have finished twenty twenty five at one hundred and forty three murders, a rate of about twenty five per one hundred thousand, the last scene in Baltimore since nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Now check this out.
Speaker 1: Y'all may not remember this, but y'all remember Freddie Gray, the boy that got killed in the back of the police holding tank. See, that's what happens when you just bring cops into a place. It ain't about the crime. Though, back to the Guardian, since twenty fifteen, there has been here in Baltimore, this acknowledgment that the equity needs to be the priority.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Mayor Brown said the riots were as much about the conditions of poverty as it was about Gray's death. I hope you hearing that people losing their homes and foreclosures to water bills, for example, as they were about police brutality. But the heavy handed response to the cops of the protests failed to hold the police accountable for misconduct, right, eviscerating the relationship between the Baltimore police and the public. Baltimore State Attorney Marion Moseley laid murder charges on the officers involved, and Baltimore's police union closed ranks and response, eviscerating the relationship between the police and politicians, and serious scandals at the City Hall and the state's attorney offers and the failure of Moseley's charges to result in convictions, violence skyrocket. But here come this young brother, Brandon Scott, young black man. Right, he's a former city council member. Right, he's been a long observer of the violence, you know what I'm saying. And before he became the mayor in twenty twenty, then he implemented what he's calling a comprehensive three pillar approach.
Speaker 2: Right. The first pillar is called public health approach to violence. Right.
Speaker 1: The second pillar is community engagement and interagency coordination.
Speaker 2: Right. The third pillar is evaluation and accountability. Right.
Speaker 1: So, like I said in the beginning, it starts with the community, all right. So check this out again from the Guardian. Against Baltimore's police budget topping a half a billion dollars, the largest police budget per capital of any large city in the USA. The political establishment gave its new millennial mayor room to experiment with fifty million dollars of Washington's money. So they took that budget that was a half a billion, gave him fifty million.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And since trust was like solo, the first step was to get everybody aboard. So he took that money the cops, the hospitals, the jails, the school the social services, the State Department, the Feds, and he appointed this dude named Richard Worley, Oh who is the city police Commissioner in June twenty twenty three. Wesley was a lifelong Baltimore officer, picked in part to bring the rank and file in line with Scott's anti violence program. Scott emphasizes partnerships as an important.
Speaker 2: Part of the process.
Speaker 1: Now, he took other federal grants and he gave the money to the people that actually do the services. He ain't just keeping for them. Now here's the thing cuts my mouth to say it. But if you are going to stop violence in the situation that we live in, the cops got to be involved. Because most of the time the cops are the problem. It's always punishment in prison with them. They only come with a stick when something already happened. So you got to get them on the table, and you got to get them at the table with somebody that's going to be willing to be held accountable.
Speaker 2: And remember that's pillar three.
Speaker 1: Now, Now, far being from me, because I don't live in Baltimore, would I ever shield for no mayor like this. I'm just telling you what the data say is and I got family in Baltimore. Now, what Scott said is again, we focus on the individuals and groups that are most likely to be the victim or perpetuator of violence.
Speaker 2: We go to them. Listen, they knock on doors.
Speaker 1: There's a social worker that comes to the door with a letter from the mayor that says, yo, you're trying to be a part of this, and their only targeting kids are families that they know got low poverty rates and high chances of crime. You looking for the people who are most likely going to fall a victim, to perpetuating it or receiving it.
Speaker 2: Because remember how we started this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Before you think we don't care about crime, we're the ones that it's happening too. So he says, quote Curtis Palomero, who runs the youth violence prevention nonprofit RAKA in Baltimore, it says, we're talking about young people with the elevated risk. We're not talking about the young person that says FU to his teacher or tells his mom and dad are ground while he don't want to do XYZ. We're talking about kids who have literally probably have two tracks jail and death. He knocks on the door while the cop is carrying met the mayor's letter, and as often as not he has to knock on a dozen doors before he gets a chance. Why cause niggas don't trust the cops, right, Why would they? But since there's no single thing that is preventative, trust must be built right moving on in this article, there are two types of people that are most vulnerable, nasays, the people in their early twenties who are feuding over trivial matters someone looked at me wrong, somebody bumped in as somebody right, or other people who are in the drug game more around. The violence that has to do with other criminal enterprises are so much more calculated. Critically, it's not every young person with Instagram beef and not every stand down neighborhood street dealer that rises to their attention. The risk factors creates a reasonable, articulatable, legally defensible basis for contact, which means you're not being hunted by the cops.
Speaker 2: Do you understand the piece?
Speaker 1: I would have felt it I known that since I wasn't involved in none of this shit, they may not be coming up to me. You've already calmed my nervous system down right. There's another story about a young man who was recovering after a gunshot and in this Life coach Nigga from a youth advocate program approached him and Jalen said, this is This man said, he just han't been in the wrong part of West Baltimore at the wrong time. Now, most of us who grew up like this, that's true. He wasn't especially receptive to this first life coach at all.
Speaker 2: He said, I thought there was a catch.
Speaker 1: I thought I'd have to pay them back in the future, because when the police do it to you, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: You got to pay them back later.
Speaker 1: But this person is funded by the city to just be a life coach. I ain't asking you to snitch on nobody. I ain't asking you to make yourself put yourself in danger. Outside is somebody who under stands what it's like to live out here. This life coach says, it's about follow up. Today, they might say get the fuck out of here. Tomorrow, they might be wanting some services. It might be something tragic that happens and they need change. Like I said, my mother's not smiling no more. I need a way to pay my mama's life bill. Can you help me with that? Here's what's crazy. Yes, I can help you with that. We have services. Why because I'm talking to the other departments. Right on the law side, here's a prevention. They dismissed thirty four percent of non violent charges. I was a non violet offender. It was graffiti. Just make me pay the fine. Like it's fine. I got pay the fine. I don't care. Right, you have like a nickel bag of weed in your pocket. You're looking at five years. The shit is not working. That's over policing. But if the district attorney look at you and say, nigga's some weed man, get the fuck out of here, Go take care of your mama. Matter of fact, I want you to talk to this brother over here. You're gonna help get your plumber's license. Oh so there's job placement. Right.
Speaker 2: There's all that, and then finally evaluation.
Speaker 1: Listen, you got a carrying adult, You got services available to you. And you know if somebody in this program, if any of these law enforcement, these city people act the fuck up, there are consequences. That is Pillar three. I'm gonna link all this stuff to you. There's a four year evaluation, and you will get fucking fired. If I know that if you treat me right, something gonna happen to you, I might think a little different. Listen, the heat stopped working, so my heat start working. But if my stomach is full, and the bills are paid, and there's after school programs that go to and I know these old people around me aren't gonna trust me when I tell them stuff when I'm dealing with situations that may or may not be out of my control. When I got big homei'es pressing me to do this, and there's somebody I could trust that I could talk to that's not gonna turn me into a snitch. Because you ain't telling the cops just to get them to give me information about a crime that happened over there. That's not what's happening right now. You are trying to prevent the violence. You're not trying to catch a criminal. You're trying to prevent criminality, and it's at a fifty year low. But sure, go ahea and send a national guard.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Listen, obviously this ain't the system. I won't but it's the system we got.
Speaker 2: This is not ideal.
Speaker 1: You would never see me shill for no police department or mayor, but cities like Philly in Baltimore are proven. Nigga, If you just care and you spend money on trusted sources and provide resources, the crime it drops itself.
Speaker 2: Seems so simple. But you know what do we know?
Speaker 1: We're just black people and all this tells me what we already knew. It was never about crime, ever, because there's research that shows what actually works in reducing crime. What this about? You just think we're you and you're a white supremacist. You just want a white world and you think it's cool to have military in our streets.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong. You didn't invent that. You was in Trump.
Speaker 1: You know how I know you ain't invent that because there's an amendment in the Constitution that says that we don't want to live in a world where the military is on every corner.
Speaker 2: But apparently you do. It's clearly not about crime. It could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening,