Speaker 1: If this is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listening podcast, you can't predict anything.
Speaker 2: The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELK. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com, f I R S T L I T E dot com. Before we start today's show, we'd like to touch on, uh, doctor Randall's hair a little bit. Yes, you got screwed at the barber.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say screwed, but there's a miscommunication. I was going for a more minimalist touch up and we ended up.
Speaker 2: You wanted to keep your length in the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted to keep my length in the back, and I was.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I'd sort of made peace with it.
Speaker 3: And then Seth showed me the other day a photo from when we were out doing the SIG shoot and I saw that.
Speaker 2: Flow and I just just blown in the wind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I missed it so badly.
Speaker 2: The reason I winded you talk about that is Corey just had interesting observation that there's a river you like to fish, and you say that the river never fishes good two days in a row. Yeah, So if you have a great day, you know not to go back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you better pick another stream for sure.
Speaker 2: Because it can't fish two days in a row.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's proposing that if you get a great haircut somewhere, don't go back because it's gonna not be good. Yeah, because one of the odds, lightning's not gonna strike twice, never in the same spot. Hell about fishing, it goes in weeks, week on, week off. So if you're like, if people are up fishing at our fish shack and you call up, the last thing you want to hear because if you're going up, like let's say they're up there last week of July, you're going first week August. What you want? You think you want hot reports, You don't want horrible report.
Speaker 4: You make that phone call wanting some bitching and moaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're like, oh my god, it's on fire. You're like, I'm not even gonna go now. Yeah, because this is gonna be the it'll die, it'll be the dead. I'll be there for the dead week. You want it to be that no one's catching nothing, then you're gonna go up and have a phenomenal time. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, that's the same with this little riffle that I'm speaking of. Just easty here. M.
Speaker 2: You just winked at me. Does that mean it's not easty here? No? Uh. Joined today by the esteemed professor, former professor of American history, current author of all kinds of books, New York Times best selling author Dan Floores. It's been on the show a handful of times in the past. I'll just come flat out and say, he's my most He's my favorite historian, one of America's most celebrated historians. Uh. Eleven books if you listen to a Rogan's podcast. Dan's been on Rogan's podcast a couple of times talking about his book as well. Started his career as not started you were a writer but also a teacher. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I basically started as a freelance magazine writer before I went off. And you know, I did the strange thing of getting a PhD. Relate yeah, and becoming Yeah, you guys can relate Randall can relate that know.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Not only that, but I took when I was in graduate school, I took a class with Professor Floories, and Randall took presumably many classes, a handful of a handful of classes. And now Dan is doing a were Dan is doing a podcast our podcast network called The American West with Dan floy'es. We're going to talk about some of the themes that will emerge in that podcast. As he tells a I would say an unconventional telling of the American West. Don't get into enormous detail. But how would you describe your approach because you were an environmental historian?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right. I trained to be an environmental historian. And for people who don't know what that is, it's basically somebody who studies and writes about and taught classes too about the relationship between people and nature. So that's a pretty big topic. You know, allows for a lot of things, and what it doesn't do much because I also taught the American West, it doesn't do much of the standard American West stuff, you know. I mean I never did really talk much about mining strikes and the overall and trail migrations and Indian wars and gunfights and all that. I was interested in in stuff that pertained to the kind of environmental relationship between people and the natural world in the West and in the country. And so that's that's really what this podcast boils down to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fewer okay corrals and more more wildlife.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's exactly it. Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Being a wildlife. Uh pigeon catching controversy in New York And this makes sense to me. The price, Like my boy sells pigeons to dog trainers.
Speaker 7: Oh now he's now he's onto selling them.
Speaker 2: Oh he's made he makes good money selling pigeons.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I thought, well, this year he just did a if you go from seven dollars to eight dollars, what percent increases that.
Speaker 4: That's a tough one to figure out.
Speaker 2: One I told him, say tariffs did it?
Speaker 7: And wait, how twelve? How much does he is that?
Speaker 6: How much?
Speaker 2: Your head?
Speaker 6: Dan, I think that's right.
Speaker 7: Wait does he is that? How much he sells them for?
Speaker 2: He just he just he just uh he had a new client mm hmm. And and he was saying what because last year he was getting seven a piece and he had a new client. He just threw out eight and out of blank, take as many as I can get. So point being, it doesn't surprise me. Now what what? So he gets pigeons out of grain silos because guys are storing grain. Last thing, you want his pigeons in the grain. You know, you don't want I'm shitting in the grain. So he gets them out of grain silos and whatnot, out of barns and people use them for dog training.
Speaker 6: Oh I didn't.
Speaker 7: I thought he got paid to capture them. I didn't realize that he was turning them around.
Speaker 2: He would pay to get him. Okay, but I'm saying, picture now that a pigeons worth that amount of money. Okay. Some guy has thought to himself apparently, well, not where are there a lot of pigeons? And he has noted that in Brooklyn there's a lot of pigeons, and some guys are taking some industrial pigeon catching strategies to these parks in Brooklyn, which is really causing a lot of distress for logo pigeon lovers. It's a little bit weird because I think that I don't know if New York does. But there's a thing called a vatroll. There's a there's a poison that municipalities will use on pigeons. It's kind of like an un you know. So I think that for them to see a guy jump out and net a bunch, it's probably like doubt be disturbing by I mean, if you looked at the darker side, there's like a darker side the pigeon removal that they're probably not aware of pigeons being a non native bird. But pitches have been there. I mean the French delivered introduced pigeons along the Saint Lawrence, I think the late fifteen hundred. I mean there's been pigeons on the ground. Street pigeons. It's Lenaian name. If you see a pigeon flying around town, it's Lenaian name. Is Columba, Olivia, I believe is what it is. And people are worked up because guys are catching these things and they're probably like the guests are selling them into the pigeon market. Some guy cleared one hundred and fifty out of a park.
Speaker 7: Bushwick. I thought this was going the direction of roller pigeons, which is why I paid attention. Jordan Siller sent me this.
Speaker 2: This is a dude selling. This is a dude selling pigeons for some purpose. I used to on occasion when I lived in Brooklyn and I would go down and I would just nab them and put them in my pockets. And I'm not kidding you. We would grab them and we would make patas with them, me and my chef buddy and I just put them right in my pockets. We got all kinds of videos of it.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, we need to put this together. This is a new episode. Well, what what's the hand grabbing pigeons?
Speaker 2: You just put a little bit of and you just put them and I'd always want to leave the scene with them alive. So we just put them in our pockets and make little pat tays with them. Your pockets all bounce garment is best for any kind of coat, like a down puffy type, and put them in your pockets.
Speaker 5: But uh, kangaroo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing that came mind, they came on here if any person, like if you went to any I shouldn't say any If you went to most wildlife managers and you ask them if you could wave a magic wand and it would make street pigeons disappear, they would wave the wand. You know, but then you get into like different things like I used to go to even farmers and ranchers that like would hate wild pigs. But you'd say, if I could wave a magic wand and a wild pig would never ever ever again walk on your property? Would you want me to wave it? And they think and go, no, I just don't want as many, you know. Uh, so that's going on there. You can get stung though, if you're the guy doing this. Mm hmm, if you're listening to you, if you're listening, they are fixing to they're fixing to get you under animal cruelty.
Speaker 5: So they haven't caught this person yet, huh. I wonder how their diving.
Speaker 2: But if he's getting let's say he's getting New York prices, mm hmm.
Speaker 7: I feel like he's getting.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, let's say he's getting ten bucks per Does that mean Jimmy gets to I'm just saying he's making like, you know, making money. Yeah, he's like the last of the old New York market. Huns. Uh. There's the thing I found out about Buddy Mine told me about it. Have you ever heard old man Randall to ask you about this?
Speaker 7: We like started talking about it the other day.
Speaker 2: The International Order of Saint Hubertus.
Speaker 3: That's how I pronounce it not a expert though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how. This was never on my radarm. You know why you don't know about it, same reason I don't know about it.
Speaker 4: I'm not a member.
Speaker 2: You have to be asked.
Speaker 6: To join.
Speaker 2: The International Order of Saint Hubertus is a true nightly order. I mean you can look at their website. They even do that thing where like you'll have the first letter of a paragraph and you put it in a red box like once upon a time. Oh yeah, like the old m I mean that's when you know it's legit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, there's got to be a technical term for that, no doubt.
Speaker 2: The International Order of Saint Hubertus is a true nightly order. In the historical tradition. The Order is under the royal protection of His Majesty, King Juan Carlos of Spain, the grand Master Emeritus in his Imperial and Royal Highness, Archduke Andreas Salvatore von Habsburg, Lovingren of Austria, and our current grand Master is His Imperial and Royal Highness Istevon von Habsburg Lothringen, Archduke of Austria, Prince of Hungary. The International Order of Saint Hubertus is comprised of an international group of individuals Ordun's Brothers, who are passionate about the sports of hunting and fishing, and who are vitally interested and actively involved in the preservation of wildlife its habitat in the tradition of ethical hunting and fish. They got members who are dedicated to upland bird hunting, duck hunting, and hunters of quote larger and big game. Never been asked if Brandley was asked to be in this and I don't, I'm gonna be pised.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking we should start our own secret order.
Speaker 2: Here's what they stand for.
Speaker 3: That's okay, instead of skull and bones, we'll just go with skulls and skulls.
Speaker 2: Here's what they stand for. To promote sportsmanlike conduct and hunting and fishing. To foster good fellowship among sportsmen from all over the world. To teach and preserve sound traditional hunting and fishing customs. To encourage wildlife conservation, and to help protect in dangered species from extinction. To promote the concept of hunting and fishing as an intangible cultural heritage of humanity. To endeavor to ensure that the economic benefits derived from sports, hunting and fishing, support the regions where these activities are carried out, and to strive to enhance respect the responsible hunters and fishermen. If I get into that, I'm you know, I don't have any tattoos. I'm getting that it's got a crest.
Speaker 5: Where's that is going on your lower back?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: That's where it has to go.
Speaker 2: Put the first one?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now expenser, who ran out of place to put them? He said?
Speaker 4: He said, with no small amount of judgment.
Speaker 2: Before you get in a dank, Can you, guys tell us about your added hunt? But can I start by telling about how controversial it is? Yeah? Are you familiar with the controversy? Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Well is it similar to asking folks if they want to get rid of pigs?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: And if you most of them would say no because they're you know, they turned quite a profit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So people like you guys, the people you guys getting all excited flying all around the country to hunt a dad are killing big horns.
Speaker 7: Not exactly, I think.
Speaker 2: You hate big horn sheep.
Speaker 7: Thanks for putting us in a box.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your trip.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's true.
Speaker 2: No, no, No, I'm joking. I want to want to start paraphrasing half a Finger.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, we're definitely gonna address that. That's part of the that's part of the conservation.
Speaker 2: I'm being too, I'm being I'm being.
Speaker 5: By promoting hunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, meaning that a dad are there. They're there are sheep species from North Africa, North Africa, and they run wild, and they run wild in Texas.
Speaker 5: Not a sheep, they're odd.
Speaker 6: They're closer, more closer, they're closer to oats.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess that's where I got that. So not a true sheep.
Speaker 5: Correct, obviously related, but not not a true sheep.
Speaker 2: They've gone feral. They do quite well in Texas, and people point out that it's been pointed out, not not just pointed out. I think it's According to half a Finger, it's like an objective reality that awed ad are detrimental to big horn sheep recovery. So, in all fairness, do not mean to overblow it. Halfle Finger has pointed out he feels that there is like an increasing popularity in awed hunting because you can hunt around, you don't have any kind of bag limits, Like it's kind of the you know, it's like the the you know, it's like the wild West of Awdad hunting.
Speaker 7: Right now, You're not going to get a sheep probably ever in your life. So if you want to try for something adjacent to it.
Speaker 2: Go down in the desert and you know, run around in the rim rocks. They're down there. And he feels that as this gains popular larity land managers, landowners will become incentivized to host awed AD on their properties, and he feels that this could lead to a net loss in suitable big horn habitat. But I was hunting, oh Dad, when you guess when your mommy's was wiping your noses? How old fifty one?
Speaker 7: So Steve made it cool before it was cool.
Speaker 2: No, I went one time, I went two times.
Speaker 7: I'm just trying to be cute.
Speaker 2: I went two times and I was not. I guess I was. I wasn't really aware of the issue. But anyways, tell about you guys trip. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, a couple of weeks ago, Karin and I and Karin's significant other Matt, were hosted by doctor Phil of Retzki, the.
Speaker 7: Duck Doctor DNA doc now now odd AD DNA doc also Turkey DNA doc Yep, he's got all the names.
Speaker 5: He hosted us down in West Texas on UTEPS, the Indio Research Station.
Speaker 7: Yep, he's at the Yeah. So so we weren't at you know, uh RAN for research for it. Yeah, University of Texas at El Paso has a research facility that's about thirty five or forty it's forty thousand.
Speaker 5: That's where we were, right on the Rio Grande.
Speaker 2: All these details.
Speaker 5: We're looking at Mexico, the mountains in Mexico the whole time, glorious, stunning country. He wanted us to come down in February or January when it was cooler, and the best time we could pull it off was in early April, and so odds were that it was going to be hot while we were down there, but we got really lucky with a cold front that rolled in just days before we landed. And if they were still trying to squeak out of that cold front, and I don't think it ever got above seventy degrees. We hunted two days and we did our best to help the conservation aspect and tried to just shoot and use at first was our main objective.
Speaker 2: So this facility is hostile to the odd ads.
Speaker 5: I mean, they've just made themselves at home.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're a desert big horn that roam in and out. But this is just south of the Elephant Mountains, I believe, which has a herd of bighorn sheep and they'll bleed over into this ranch. But the odd ad have made themselves at home. There weren't a lot of odd ad around, or at least they weren't easy to find. We made it look easy in two days, but it was because the weather was so nice. We were able to hunt all day, glass them up in the morning and take hours to get in within rifle range, and you know, slowly pack them out without worrying about wasting any of the meat.
Speaker 3: But the university does want to get rid of them or reduce the numbers.
Speaker 5: Well, that's kind of the general vibe in West Texas is to keep the numbers reduced for desert big horn. Sheet You're never going to be able to get rid of odd ad just because they've made themselves at home and they do so well in that landscape. But yeah, desert big horns certainly sit higher on the pedestal down there, but odd ad are very close because of the outfitting opportunity the trophy hunting big air quotes.
Speaker 2: Can you pass that that thing down here so I can look at it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't have fifty pounds. Corey shot it really really huge sand Graham, So Steve, like, I guess your hand doesn't even fit around the the whole horn there. But yeah, just more on that. You know, the phil Phil's lab, he's he's trying to figure out certain new techniques to test aspects of the odd ads. So like they everyone that we shot, we collectively got four. They all got nasal swabbed. Uh and uh, they all got a piece of meat cut out of them for testing for various diseases and such. But to my understanding, that research facility is potential grounds for desert big horn reintroductions. Oh really, so there are it would be possible to put together some kind of study or tests to see how many females would need to be taken out of the population in order to accommodate I don't really know the right language, but you know, to accommodate number exactly exactly?
Speaker 2: Are you counting up that he's like eleven or twelve years old?
Speaker 5: That's what we guesstimated somewhere between ten and thirteen. It's so hard to tell.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, the yeah, the annually ier rubbed off on the outer very smooth. Now.
Speaker 5: I also brought in that you that I shot, which was an older at you as well and just as beautiful of a trophy. And the meat is ten times better.
Speaker 2: Because he has a real bad eating reputation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which I don't understand. Well, it's just like people who say antelope aren't good to eat, or sagey mule deer. You know, they just don't know how to cook more than cereal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I felt like the meat flavor is so incredibly mild. I mean I shot the little list of them. Of the four, I thought that I was aiming at a you, and then it ended up being a small ram that was termed us a subadult. You can kind of like lift it with one hand. And I haven't eaten off of. I ate a little bit of his heart, but the meat is much like lighter pink and seems tender as heck because it because he's really young. But we threw ribs on the grill one of the days and our first night at dinner at doctor Phil's house, he'd just forget what cut, but he just grilled it up and it you know, he he he says it's like sirloin to him, and I thought it was absolutely delicious. So kind of riffing off of Jesse Griffiths, you know, Eat a hog, Save the world.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: Phil's new tagline is save a sheep, Eat an odd ad.
Speaker 5: So yeah, he whipped up a again. I don't know what cut it was, but an odd ad steak and an elk steak. I couldn't tell the difference.
Speaker 7: It was real. It was really good. It just you even smell the meat and it doesn't it's it's yeah, it's just really it's really clean.
Speaker 2: They got a bad reputation, Yeah they do.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's like reputations aren't really based on that much. Yeahs based on what some dude said about it. Yeah, and then some dud parrots what he said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then that just you know, it's a total that goes out.
Speaker 2: So how did you guys see all together?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, the group that Karin and I both got uh are adult and sub adult rams.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: There were twenty three in that group, and then I guess we saw two other solo Rams and another small group, so we probably saw close to fifty in two days. Two full days of hunting though, and then sun up till sundown.
Speaker 7: When you were goutting yours in the field, Matt and I went off on a on a little nearby knob and there were probably like ten in that group. So they're around, they're they're there. Their behavior is interesting, like if you you know, like Corey, Corey shot first and then I shot.
Speaker 5: Second into those chivalrous of you those four hundred yards.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, no, I didn't. You know, we we we had hiked in. Corey was so awesome the entire time. But we what we haven't covered is that I was like tremendous dead weight on that hunt. This is the hardest. It was so hard for me, not not just physically and it was hot and it was but just the terrain is punishing. Like I think it was you who said at some point, Steve, like even the thorns have thorns down there. I mean, you're not going to grab onto anything. It's so like Shaley and every step, like the rocks, that everything is just you know, shifting under your feet, so you can't get on stable ground. And I knew I'd always had like a little bit of a fear of heights and incline, but oh goodness, I mean this I was, I like shut down at point, so I can't, can't not courier Phil or Matt like. I had my handheld quite a bit through this experience.
Speaker 2: Literally your handheld.
Speaker 7: Well, yes, at one point literally my hand was out.
Speaker 5: We were on the highest point of the ranch.
Speaker 7: So literally my hand was out.
Speaker 5: Which I think was about six thousand feet And to get the two sheep out, it took us eight and a half hours to pack out, by far, the most brutal packout I've ever been.
Speaker 7: Probably let's let's shave a third of the time off because they stopped and waited for my ass a lot.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it was so hot though we had to stop again. It probably wasn't seventy degrees, but there's zero shade and we were I'll admit, we were out of water by two o'clock. I mean we were sipping the last little bits of our water on our way out of there. It got a little touch and.
Speaker 2: Go towards the end there.
Speaker 7: Definitely got in my head about that. But you know, they they don't like, you know, maybe deer elk like they'd be gone, but I took a long time between or after his shot, and I didn't get mine with the first shot, and there were still other odd ad hanging out. So their behavior is weird. I mean, yeah, you were saying they didn't know where the shot came from. But it's not like one shot and they were all gone, so they hung around, presented other opportunities to you know.
Speaker 2: I find it interesting how the different states look at their attitude about the animal. In New Mexico, it's a draw it's a draw tag and you don't draw it. Yeah, like I put it in.
Speaker 7: I put it in every year for New Mexico audit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I put it every year.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 2: My buddy, My buddy's got a spot. He says, they go there and sometimes you see like you'll be looking at a hillside yep, and at first you don't think there's anything there, but once you start looking, he's like there'd be like thirty forty of them on the hillside. And every time they draw a permit, every time one of his bodies draws a permit, they just get an odd ad. I've been applying now for I think ten years in New Mexican, you know, next doesn't do the points right. I've been applying in ten years, ten years to drawn aud ad tag in New Mexico. I've never drawn it. So it's like they've kind of became like an honorary. They're sort of the thing they're managed, you know, like you look at with Texas wild hogs. Texas is so serious about wild hogs they dropped any license requirement you need. There is no license requirement for hogs obviously, no season, no bag limit, no license requirement. You go to California to hunt hogs, you gotta tag full big game license and you need to tag the hog. Just like different states have really different attitudes about how to treat and handle right not native.
Speaker 7: Wild And then I think that also maybe goes back to what Heffelfinger is saying, like there's obviously probably a delicate balance between the state Wildlife agency and then the the you know, the ranches that that sell odd ad hunts and just having to be careful about.
Speaker 2: You know, well, yeah, the ranch control, the ranch controls the access. Another way that like another interesting way that New Mexico handles this issues with the you know, the IBEX in the Florida Mountains, the Florida where you can stand on one end of the Florida Mountains and see the other end. It's like a containable little mountain range. Maybe I don't know, Maybe am I wrong? Could you walk around the Florida Mountains in two days?
Speaker 6: Maybe? Yeah, if you were a good in shape hiker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you like picture you like like standing and be like there they.
Speaker 4: Are, like you see the island in the entirety.
Speaker 2: There's ibecks in the Florida Mountains or non native so another non native species. Uh, it's very hard to draw an ibex tag in the Florida Mountains. There's actually a thing where that's like a once in a wh lifetime if you draw for a billy or a ram whatever they call them. Meanwhile, their management strategy is it's always ibex season, not in the Florida Mountains.
Speaker 5: If they exit the mountains then it's full.
Speaker 2: So like it's like it's they're like, this is the ibec's place. You have to apply and probably will never get a chance to hunt it. As soon as one of them soccer steps out of those hills. It's just you just got to go get a tag and go for it, so you just come up. They have these little I don't know, man, they're kind of weighing like interest. People are very interested in it. They're kind of weighing interest against other ecological considerations when they figure out how to do it. Like in Florida they have that island with the sandbar on it and you have to draw tagged on a sandbar on the island. I'm guessing if those sandbar were cut loose on the main Florida peninsula, they'd have a very different attitude about the sandbars, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, super cool animal. If anybody's thinking about hunting, one shoot an you or two before you shoot a ram.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think heavy Finger is like for every ram anyone takes, you need to shoot like that.
Speaker 2: I like to miss I misrepresented something Hefflefinger told me every day.
Speaker 4: And then he doesn't call you out on it, which is a nice thing.
Speaker 7: But I'll just plug Phil's lab again. It's the Population Evolutionary Genetics Lab at UTEP University of Texas at El Paso. And if anyone feels like, you know, donating some tax deductible UH monies to their research lab, and I think they'll probably end up doing more on odd AD and looking at desert big Horn, the potential for reintroduction that's giving to dot utep dot edu forward slash conservation. You probably did not retain that information. I will put a link in the show notes.
Speaker 2: And what was the episode he came on, what do we call their wild ducks?
Speaker 7: Really wild? That was the first episode a year or two ago.
Speaker 2: So if you remember back, he's yeah, if you remember back, we did an episode where in some places it's so weird this even allowed in some places you can like pen raise mallards, like pretend mallards and cut them loose to kind of have like a pretend duck hunt. But then those pen raise ducks are breeding into our wild duck populations and affecting their behavior, screwing up migration patterns, life cycles, fitness.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he came on to talk about how through the through their genetic survey work, they're able to see from these reintroductions from not these from the pen raised operations, they're able to see a genetics spread as the genetics of those ducks expand outward. And how far into how far I guess it would be, how far west they're finding traces of these ducks. Michael Chamberlain is beginning a new thing on wild turkeys, the impact of you know, people get all excited when they shoot a white turkey, real excited. Usually what's happened is you've shot a turkey. People love it. But what's probably happened is you shot someone's turkey, right, you shot someone's fair old turkey. And so there's a new project coming out what we're going to start looking at the impacts of domestic turkeys finding their way into wild turkeys and interbreeding into wild turkey populations.
Speaker 5: Well, as Karin mentioned, while we were out there, Phil took meat samples and he was trying to figure out because there was two different strains of odd ad that were introduced to Texas originally back in the fifties, I believe, And now we're trying to figure out which strain were we hunting and harvesting and could they be hybrid strains? Could the two different groups have you know, blended together and made a hybrid odd ad?
Speaker 2: Who caught him loose in the first place?
Speaker 5: Yea, And Texas Parks and Wildlife was yeah, because yeah it was. And now they're you know, people very much don't like Texas Parks and Wildlife because they're you know, aerial gunning odd ad to help with desert big horn sheep just because they have to. If you want to protect the sheep, you gotta minimize the odd ad population.
Speaker 3: It's funny that we I think, like generally you could say that wildlife management has this dark period and then there's a turning point and then there's sort of the good old days of post Pittman Robertson and we figured it out, you know. But so many of these non native introductions carried on until fairly late in the twentieth century, like and not all of them are necessarily have the same ecological implications, but like Himalayan snowcocker, like in the seventies, you know, and you think about now non natives are such an issue for us, but it's it's really not all that long ago.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean Hungary like Hungarian party and American partridge, right, right, But some well, so you can hunt turkeys in forty United States. Turkeys are native to thirty eight states. Yeah, I mean, like some stuff is right, there's no some stuff there's no like demonstrated deleterious effects.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, And that's that. I mean, I recognize that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's funny how quickly we've we've shifted with some of these species in recognizing the impacts.
Speaker 4: You know, even in the fishing world.
Speaker 2: There is one last introduction I want to do. Whenever I'm in Hawaii, I always think on those hot lava rocks. Just think how much rattlesnake could love it there. That's all right, you know what I mean. It's the last introduction.
Speaker 4: Ten thousand pet dogs and Hawaiian thrown.
Speaker 2: A male and a female rattlesnake on the ConA coast. I just feel like they'd be so happy. It'd be so much to eat hot rocks.
Speaker 4: I have zero interest in rattlesnake being happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no kidding. When I'm standing on one of those hot live rocks, I can just picture to the sound.
Speaker 7: We really need some TS agents to follow.
Speaker 2: You and make sure I'm not.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 6: You know, Hawaii is the only state in the Union where coyotes have not colonized. Is that right?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 6: It's the only one.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do that too, well, very popular.
Speaker 6: Those endangered anaise would would not be around for very long if coyotes ever got there. What is that underheard that it's a goose. It looks like it's a species of goose. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's got It's got another name though, right I've ever heard is Nane, which is probably the Hawaiian name. Yeah, I mean probably you know, Anglo missionaries maybe called them geese, but yeah, I think uh, I think they're generally known by nine.
Speaker 5: The Yeah, I believe it's a dance to the whip and Nane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: But one conversation we had on a rock when we were with this genetics scientists out there. We were talking about like, at what point in evolution is an animal native versus invasive?
Speaker 2: You know, Dan's got some Yeah, Dan's been on the show making his case for wild horses. Do you feel like remaking because you know what I was gonna ask you about. First, We're gonna give you a pick, Okay, I was gonna ask you to tell everyone the story of the other Lewis and.
Speaker 6: Clark their listen clock experts, or.
Speaker 2: You can you can try to sell you can try to you can sell everybody on the horse as as a native American animal. Well, the horse is good, he's taken that he's taken b I'll say the.
Speaker 6: Horse is quick because the horse and its ancestors have been here for fifty six million years. Okay, they have only been absent for about eight thousand years, and so, you know, and I've talked to paleontologists in Canada who say from the fossils they have of the last horses in America that are ten eleven thousand years old that they had, they can't tell the difference readily between those and the horses that Europeans brought from the Old World over there. And so I mean that's I think what you can say about the horse is the horse is either an exotic with an asterisk, or it's a native with an asterisk. And I prefer the native with an asterisk, because I tend to think in terms of deep history and long time, and so an animal that's been here for fifty six million years and only gone for a wink of an eye time, to me is a native animal. I mean, that's why they went while so readily and so quickly when they were reintroduced in the West. The primary problem, of course, is that they were reintroduced without their plaistosine predators accompanying them. And so that's why we're having such difficulty in controlling them, is we don't have you know, big hunting hyenas and American cheetahs and all these cats, particularly that preyed on horse folds. But yeah, this is an animal that you know, although it's created a huge kind of outcry and by a lot of people as a non native, I mean, it's actually an animal that's been here for a long time. So yeah, that one's pretty quick, pretty quick story.
Speaker 2: It's compelling. It's compelling. Now talk about the tell folks about the other Lewis and Clark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is a story that I know most Americans do not know. And it has to do with something called historical memory. Because there are some things you know, and you know this when you study history. Randall I knows it very well. Some things we remember and make a part of the ongoing story of the country, and some things that are swept under the rug. And so at a time when the United States was a brand new country, that's the period when Lewis and Clark, Jefferson Lewis and Clark into the West eighteen four and eighteen to eighteen six, we were a country with you know, a little bit of a self esteem problem because we were brand new. The Brits were still sort of acting like at any moment they were going to reinvade and take the colonies back. And so Jefferson after the Louisiana Purchase of eighteen oh three. I mean, if you think about the Lewis and Clark expedition and the map in your mind that you remember from school of the Louisiana Purchase, one of the things that will quickly occur to you is that why was Jefferson interested in only exploring the northern piece of it? Why didn't he have some interest in all the rest, which was a much larger chunk of ground. To be sure, the southern boundary was less set than the northern boundary because Jefferson tried to claim that the southern boundary of the Louisiana Purchase with the real Grand River, and of course here is Spain with colonies in Texas and New Mexico on the north side of the Rio Grand who contested.
Speaker 2: That it's weird because he wanted being kind of right. Oh yeah, well, I mean like over time, yeah.
Speaker 6: Ultimately that's how it played out. But so after to get to the story, here. After the Lewis and Clark expedition was underway, Jefferson set about preparing an expedition to go into the southern parts of the Louisiana Purchase. And the river that he decided was the very best river to explore in the north, it was the Missouri and the Columbia, obviously those two. In the south, what he decided to do was to explore the Red River. That's the river that is the boundary today between Texas and Oklahoma. And he picked that river because he thought it came out of the Southern Rockies near Santa Fe. And so what he was organizing as a second expedition was to send a party up the Red River to its source in the Southern Rockies near Santa Fe, and then the party would cross over to the Arkansas, also believed to be to have its headwaters in the southern mountains, and to come back to civilization down the Arkansas River. So this was not going to be an expedition that went all the way to the coasts the way Lewis and Clark's was planned. Because there was no idea of a northwest passage in the southern reaches of the West and of course, that's what Lewis and Clark were looking for. They were trying to find the fable Northwest passage for commerce. So anyway, the second expedition was essentially based on a flawed premise. Jefferson and just about everybody else who made maps of the West at the time followed Alexander von Humboldt's map of the West, which he had put together.
Speaker 2: Probably in that order of hubert Us with that name. Oh yeah, Alexander von Humboldt's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a major. He's a Prussian naturalist who explored South America. Had a ton of students who followed in his wake, like Prince Maximilian on the Rose area was one of humboldt students, and he's the guy who comes up with all kinds of sort of early notions about ecology. So von Humboldt had put together a map of the West from sources in the archives in Mexico, and he saw that there was a river coming out of the southern Rockies near Santa Fe that flowed eastward. And the French in Louisiana knew there was this river, the Red River in their part of the world, that flowed from the west, and so von Humboldt put those two together and told Jefferson that the Red River headed in the southern Rockies and you could send a party up it and it would take them all the way into what is now New Mexico and Colorado. The problem with that was that von Humboldt did not have any sources that actually tied those two rivers together, and so the river that he saw in New Mexico heading near Santa Fe was actually the Pacer which is a tributary of the Rio Grande, and the Red River that Jefferson sent his party up heads in what we now call the Yano Westacado Plateau. It comes out of Palo Duro Canyon, which most people have heard of, this big giant canyon that's on the eastern side of this plateau in West Texas and New Mexico. So it was a river that actually didn't head in mountains. It would have led the explorers, the American explorers, out into the middle of the southern high plains and left them still like ten days travel from New Mexico from Santa Fe. Anyway, Jefferson didn't know that, and he insisted that the Red was the River that he wanted to explore because there were all sorts of wonderful stories about what was up at the headwaters of the Red River. So he put together this expedition in eighteen oh six, two years after Lewis and Clark set out. As Lewis and Clark were returning from the Pacific, Jefferson put together the party of more than fifty fifty people, including a military escort led by a guy named Captain John Sparks, who was a close friend of Meriwether Lewis's and William Clark's. They had all grown up in Virginia, and Jefferson selected an Irish basically he was a geographer named Thomas Freeman to lead the expedition, and he picked as the first American trained naturalists to explore in the West, a young man he knew from Virginia. His name was Peter Custis, and he was just about to get a doctorate in medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. So the expedition is known to the people who know about it as the Freeman and Custis Expedition up the Red River in eighteen oh six, and these guys starting, they.
Speaker 2: Had fifty dudes. They had fifty dudes Lewis and Clark, well forty forty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, about forty forty two, I think is the top figure because the one guy died and they sent one guy back for bad behavior. But Congress also, interestingly about this second expedition, appropriated twice the money for it that they appropriated for Lewis and Clark. Now, you know, people who know about the expeditions know that Meriwether Lewis actually spent a whole lot more money than Congress had appropriated for him. But this second expedition had twice the funds appropriated. Jefferson referred to it as the Grand Expedition, and it set out up the Red River in April of eighteen oh six, reached the last point of civilization on the Red the town of Nakotash, which was an old French town on the Red River in central Louisiana. And then, and we've talked about this, Steve, I know, because you've been interested in it. One of the things they had to do to get on the Red River above Necklish was to detour around what we think is probably the biggest logjam anywhere in North America. It was called the great Raft, and this thing extended for about one hundred and forty miles up the Red River, and so it was impossible to travel on the river, and they had to go through all these balues and swamps around to the east of it to get around the raft and back to the river. So they did that, and they were above the Great Raft in the early summer of eighteen oh six and getting ready to head west.
Speaker 2: I got addy pause, Yeah, sure, can you remind me how did they end up getting rid of that raft?
Speaker 6: It took the invention of nitro glycerin now when nitro was invented in the eighteen sixties, eighteen early eighteen seventies. Actually it was possible for a guy named Captain Henry Shreve for whom Shreveport is named to go out with what he called snag boats and the raft apart enough to place charges of nitro under it, and they basically blew it apart.
Speaker 2: Just sent all that out.
Speaker 6: Took it took them ten years to do it. Yeah, but yeah, it was a gigantic chance. Wow man. Yeah, it took the invention of a new explosive device, essentially nitro to do it. So anyway, this expedition is on the Red River, and they're headed west and they're bound for Santa Fe. And they have all these, you know, wonderful objectives that they're going to do. And Peter Custis is doing natural history. I mean he you know, Marriwether Lewis is kind of self trained as a nationalist. Peter Custis was trained in a university. And they get about six hundred and fifty miles up the Red River and round a bend and discover a Spanish force four times their size a arrayed across the river. And they hear that another this Spanish force is from Texas, and they hear that another Spanish force, the largest one ever sent out from Santa Fe, is coming down the upper Red River. And so Spain determines that it is not going to allow the Americans to explore into country where the boundary has not been resolved between the United States and Spain. And Jefferson had included in his letter of instructions to both Meriwether Lewis and to Thomas Freeman a line that said, if you are if your further progress is opposed by a force authorized or not authorized by a nation. In other words, either an Indian group or some force force authorized by a nation. I would I want you to turn back with the information you've already gathered rather than attempt to go forward, because I don't want to risk the lives of American citizens in a confrontation with an overwhelming force. Whether Lewis never confronted anything like that, because even the Spaniards tried to stop Lewis and Clark, but they were so far to the north the Spanish forces could never find them on the Missouri and they sent several expeditions out to stop Lewis and Clark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hold on that for a minute. Yeah, Like why does no one talk about where these Spanish guys? How can you hear the stories about the Spanish guys trying to find Lewis and Clark, Like where were they looking? They were?
Speaker 6: They were launched primarily from Texas. I mean San Antonio had the biggest presidios of any of the Spanish colonies and what were known as the Provincia's internals than the internal provinces of the north, and so they were launched from there, but they never got The one that got fartherest never got out of what is now present day, Kansas never even got really to the to the Missouri Rial.
Speaker 2: What obstacles were preventing them from getting up there.
Speaker 6: Usually poor planning, poor execution, leaders who were not up to the task, and on at least one of the groups encountered an opposing force of Native people that turned them back. So they were those forces that were trying to intercept Lewis and Clark were, you know, they didn't really get close, but the Red River was a lot closer to these Spanish presidios in Texas, and they successfully got a two hundred man force led by a guy named Captain Francisco Vianna, and they put up a perimeter across the Red River and Freeman and his party round of Ben they see this Spanish force. They stopped for three days and have a diplomatic conference with parlay with the leader of the Spanish force. And this Spanish leader, h Vianna, was basically he was polite, but he was firm. My orders are you are not to be allowed to progress any farther on the river. And so Freeman consulted his orders from Jefferson, which said, if you're confronted by an overwhelming force, I want you to turn back with the information you have, and the Americans turned around and went back. And so what I would say about this is that the reason you've never heard of it, and nobody else, really very much in America has ever heard of this expedition is because at a time when the United States had a little bit of a self esteem problem as a young country, we were perfectly willing to celebrate the success of Lewis and Clark getting to the Pacific. But the second Presidential expedition being turned around by a foreign power and told to retrograde to American territory, that was one that I mean, even Jefferson was willing to just sort of sweep under the rug effectively effectively. So yeah, I did a talk one time at the two hundredth anniversary of Lewis and Clark and Saint Louis under the Arts, hosted by the National Park Service, and they asked me to talk about this expedition, and immediately before me there was this Hispanic historian from I think he was from Arizona who got up and did a talk and his whole talk was about, man, I really wish some Spanish force had managed to stop Lewis and Clark that would have really changed. And I got up after this guy said, you know, I'm going to make all your dreams come true because it happened exactly that way, but with another party, with the second expedition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's one of those kind of unknown stories. And you know, the podcast I'm doing for you guys is a lot of it is like that. It's the Western stories that you've not really ever heard or been exposed to with a lot of emphasis as we were saying a few minutes ago, on wildlife, on native people, on the landscapes, the great landforms of the West, and all that. But that's what I've tried to do with most of my career is sort of work on things that other people hadn't done already.
Speaker 2: If if you had to say, like, what are some of the things that people miss the most? What are some of the most common misses that people have about the American West? Is it like the antiquity or.
Speaker 6: I think that's very definitely one. I mean the West, And if you in the Southwest in particular, you can't miss this because of all the ruins all over the the Southwest. As you know, when you and I were at Chaco a few months ago and the time we went to the Clovis side. I mean, there are these unmistakably ancient still visible. There's still visible evidence of people having lived in the West for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. And in a lot of the rest of the country because of higher humidity and dense forests and rainfall, I mean, evidence of long term occupation is often really much more difficult to see. But in the arid part of North America, it's still there and it's still visible, and so that antiquity is a part of it. I mean our sense about American history as well. I mean it's only you know, four hundred years old. We've only been here since the sixteen hundreds, and wow, this is a brand new place. Well, the truth is, of course, the story of America. Is it right now? We think at least twenty three thousand years old, that's when we have evidence for the first people getting over here. So one of the things I tried to do in this podcast is at least spend some of it the first two or three episodes talking about these really ancient occupations and how people lived and their interactions with the natural world and wildlife and all that, because it's a story that I think really shapes the future if you believe. And I always make this argument about history is that the past doesn't stay in the past. We're occupying a world that was shaped by our ancestors, by other humans, and the world that we're in right now is what it is in large part because of what they did. And that's kind of one of my themes. I think in this podcast.
Speaker 2: At the end of Dan's podcast episodes, what we've been doing is we've been doing a little Q and A where Dan does his material. It's kind of a in the best way possible lecture format. You take a subject, talk about it, but then the subjects bleed into each other. Yeah, and at the end me and Randall to ask questions. In the spirit of that, Randall, I'd like to point the next question, Oh I didn't whatever you think is the most interesting thing? Oh not, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, Dan, I think this is not necessarily specific to the podcast, but I think people would probably be interested to just hear your story about how you grew.
Speaker 4: Up and.
Speaker 3: You've got some You've got some sort of an interesting past that some might not maybe expect from a professor of history and published author.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well uh so, uh, at least on my dad's side. My mom's side of the family was you know, pretty much sort of standard Anglo Scott's American through the Upper Southern States and into the Midwest and all. And so that's part of my lenn Is but probably the more interesting one in part because that's where I grew up and I still have family there is from Louisiana because that town Nacotish I mentioned a few minutes ago, which is the you know, I always have fun telling people this, that's the oldest European town in Louisiana, not New Orleans. Yeah, Nacotash is four years older than New Orleans. I was found in seventeen fourteen and my ancestors got there in seventeen sixteen. So yeah, so we've been in Louisiana for a very very long time.
Speaker 2: But I had what brought them there, do you know?
Speaker 6: Well, I had two different sides of the of the story in Louisiana, and I don't know why my French ancestors showed up. And that's the predominant line in that side of my family. But there, I mean, my last name is Flores, which is a Spanish name. And the reason I have that name is because when the French founded Nacotash in seventeen fourteen, the Spaniards farther west were so alarmed at this French incursion because they were afraid the French were going to go up the Red River into the West, and they were absolutely right about that. That they plunked down ten miles away from Nakotish a little presidio manned by about twenty five or thirty young soldiers. And these guys, one of whom was my ancestor, the Flores's ancestor. Here they were in the Louisiana wilderness with no available potential marriage partners, and so my sees except the enemies ten miles away. So my ancestor married it to a French family in Nacotish. And so you guys ain't all bad, Yeah, they absolutely they were Catholics at least. Yeah. So yeah, So we got absorbed into the French story in Louisiana. And I think the reason I probably grew up being fascinated with the West is because one of the stories that we always talked about in the family was there were some groups four or five generations back who were traders to the Indians in the west, and so I grew up hearing stories about Pierre Lafitte, Pierre Bouie Lafitte, who was my great grandfather four times back, and he had been a sort of a major player in the Indian trade to the west out of Nakotash and had gone I don't know if he ever got all the way up to the Wichita villages far up the Red River, but he certainly was a pretty major player in Indian trade in Louisiana, and I knew that they had gone west. So I kind of grew up with the idea of, you know, the west was always this part of the country that beckoned. And when I was four years old, my family went on a National park tour and one of the places they went was into New Mexico. And so by the time I was about ten or eleven, I was having these dreams of these beautiful blue skies, cottonball clouds, sand dunes, red cliffs. Had no idea where that had come from until I was about thirty seven and thirty eight years old, and I was back in Louisiana for a family reunion and I mentioned to an ad of mine, you know, I've always had these strange dreams. That's why about the West. That's why I ended up going west. And she said, well, I wonder if that had anything to do with that National Park tour we took you on to New Mexico when you were four. Oh, I guess maybe it did. And you know, so it's the kind of thing that you sort of forget but clearly colors your subconscious for a long time. So that was part of it. And as soon as I know, I was able to drive a car and my parents would let me go out overnight, first thing I did was drive five hundred mise to the west, just to see what the country was like. Yeah, And I've never forgotten how exciting it was when night fell on the first time on that drive, and I could see the lights of towns thirty and forty miles away, because growing up in Louisiana, you can't see forty feet away. The vegetation is so dense, And it was very exciting to be able to see, ye see country.
Speaker 3: And you spent a fair bit of time running around outside in your in your youth, right.
Speaker 6: Oh, I did, Yeah, I grew up in a little small town where the woods were, you know, one hundred yards away and so, and we didn't have enough guys in the town to field one baseball team, let alone two baseball teams to play one another. So what I got to do for recreation was essentially read books and roam around in the woods. And you know, and I certainly grew up hunting. I didn't wasn't too interested in fishing, but I was certainly interested in hunting. And I did that through a lot of my teen years into my early twenties. And you know, as Randall knows, when I was living in Montana. I mean, I can't say that I ever actually hunted, but three times, because I wanted venison in my freezer, I bought a deer tag and shot a little you know, yearling or four corn mule deer buck out the window of my living room out in the horse.
Speaker 2: I remember when when I first met you, I remember you telling me that, and you're very careful not overplay the circumstances.
Speaker 6: And so I couldn't say that was a hunt. That was more harvesting a deer for the freezer. That was uh, you know, but I I still I mean I was in my forties and fifties and I still remember how to do it at least.
Speaker 4: Well, you also wrote for Field and Stream and you know.
Speaker 6: Field and Stream, Sports of Feel an Outdoor Life. Yeah, those are when I started as a writer. That's who I wrote for. That was the magazine world that I knew. And so I was an English major as an undergraduate and had an English professor and a creative writing course when I was a junior who had us write things that we thought, you know, you might approach a magazine for query, a magazine about And I had the fun of writing a piece and before the semester was over, going into his office and saying Sports a Field just bought that. That's that piece I wrote for you back in February. And so that was very fun. And I had a you know, just like you did Steve at Outdoor what's the magazine outside. I had an editor at Sports of Feel in particular, who I guess saw some potential and me, and he gave me a few pointers and took the first three or four things I wrote, and introduced me to editors at Field and Stream and Outdoor Life, and I ended up finally for outdoor Life. Before I went to graduate school and got a PhD in history, I wrote a conservation column for outdoor Life for their regional pages. They had these pages in Outdoor Life that were designated for particular regions. And I wrote a conservation column for the one on what was known as the Mid South. And I wrote a conservation column for Louisiana Woods and waters. So this was all before I ever went to went to graduate school. And you know what, the professor thing, I.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of friends who wind up being that there into occupation professionally. They wind up into occupation they would have had no idea existed when they were a kid. Yeah, I mean you asked your kid what they wanted to do and be like detective fireman, veterinarian. Right, And then people have jobs that they don't even they don't find out a lot of times, you don't even know what you're doing was a thing until you're in your twenties. In your thirties, you probably had You probably didn't use the word growing up. I want to be an environmental historian.
Speaker 6: You you were absolutely right. I never once said that. I So I was not the first person in my family to go to college. My dad had had gone to college, but so I knew something about university life, a little bit about it. But I actually went to college on an athletic scholarship and with the idea because my dad had played semi pro baseball and he wanted me to be a baseball player, and with the idea of actually doing that. And it didn't last. I didn't play baseball in college for more than two years. We got a new coach and I didn't like one another, and so that was start of the end of that. But what I had sort of discovered, and I'm a baseball player who's an English major is a little bit of an unusual character. And I began to meet professors who started pointing me in the direction of where I went. And one of them was this guy, this creative writing guy I mentioned who when I talked to him about my future, I said, I want to be a writer. This is my idea. I've always thought, you know, as a kid growing up reading books, that's what I wanted to do. He said, well, most people who write usually do something else as a day job. And I said, well, like what he said, Well, I mean, like me. This guy wrote Western novels. He said like me, I mean, you're a professor, and they actually reward you for writing books when you're a professor, And that put the idea into my head for the very first time that well, okay, so I think maybe what I'll do is I'll go ultimately to graduate school and become a professor of some kind, and then that will enable me or give me enough time to be able to write too. So that's kind of what I did. But you're exactly right. As a kid, I never said I'm going to grow up and you know, be an environmental historian at the University of Montana.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that never happened.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've picked up through my relationship with you and talking to you about American history and it also I also kind of absorbed it a little bit from reading and conversations with the historian Elliott West. Is this thing about the West, right, I think that if you fall into the into the trap, maybe that's not the best word for it, but if you fall into the mindset that the West was just sitting there untouched, right, whereas Elliott West put it, like Native Americans were just in the static they were just basically waiting for Europeans to show up in this static state, and then you get this idea that then and then Lewis and Clark go out there. No one had been there before them. They go out there, and then it's just like this tidal wave is unleashed, and it all happens like that. It all happens through the eighteen hundreds. That sense of how Western history went for me really started to fall apart when I learned that from the time the first European descended the Mississippi. Okay, so from the time the first European descended the Mississippi, it was one hundred years until the next European descended the Mississippi, or, as Elliott West pointed out one of his essays, when Lewis and Clark hit the Great Planes, there were people there were name of Americans on the Great Plains whose parents had been to Paris and come home. And then you start realizing that this the job of understanding contact, right of understanding European contact, isn't like this little like blip through the eighteen hundreds. It's centuries long.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Elliott steers you correctly. I mean that's been one of the things that even in my own career, you know, I mean I started out being trained to do a more classic kind of Western history, where really it does kind of begin with, you know, with Lewis and Clark, or maybe if you start being imaginative about it, Okay, it starts with, you know, Spanish settlements in New Mexico. I mean, so the place where I live, you know, Santa Fe Is it's about ten years ago, fifteen years ago now it celebrated its four hundredth anniversary as a town. Santa Fe was founded in sixteen ten. That's almost two hundred years before Lewis and Clark.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, man, Yeah, there's already you go from today like to under I always like to understand this. Okay, it's twenty twenty five. Okay, if you go that distance of time, think about where that puts you. Oh yeah, you know, the distance between the distance between Lewis and Clark and the northern plains and the founding of Santa Fe, the founding of a European like kind of cosmopolitan city in New Mexico, was the distance that separates us from eighteen twenty five from eighteen twenty five. Yeah, at a time when we were just now starting to try steamboats on the Western River. Yeah, so it's that kind of distance, and so you have to, you know, as a historian, you start learning to incorporate that into your thinking. And once I started having the fun of doing that, I started pushing it back farther and farther because it became evident. So historians primarily rely on written documents, right, but if you decide, okay, in this environmental history, and I was trained to do this, you don't just rely on the written documents. You also rely on archaeology and palaeontology and ecology and all these other fields. And if you start using those, then suddenly the past starts getting deeper and deeper and deeper for you. I mean, you can't come up with a great quote from anybody from you know, ten thousand years ago. You don't know exactly what we call people Clovis and Folsome. We don't really know what their names actually were for themselves, because we named them after the towns where their archaeologists first found remains of them. So it's a kind.
Speaker 6: Of a deep time past that's not perfect, but it allows you to think in terms of a really deep and ancient history. And when you start doing that, that's kind of how I translated the human past in America, going back twenty three thousand years to start thinking about the past of the animals here, because many of the animals in North America, I mean, like horses and their ancestors fifty six million years back, Camels or another family of animals that had their origins in America and died out here while surviving in the rest of the world, they go back forty six million years. Passenger pigeons went back fifteen million years. Bison actually, which we of course is now our national mammal in America. We have concluded that probably the oldest arrival of bison in North America was only about four hundred thousand years ago, so they're actually quite recent arrivals compared to something like passenger pigeons. Mammoths got here seventeen million years ago. So doing that deep time for humans, I think it was a ready step from that to start looking at all these animals around us. And as we were talking yesterday, talking to you and Randall both about this, I mean, one of the things I've decided to do because I couldn't see that anybody else was really doing it in writing Western history was to start taking the animals seriously, to stop thinking about them as Okay, beavers are just you know, there's just this lumping animal that everybody that produced the beaver trade and start actually looking at So what did the presence of beaver's over five million to seven million years that's how we think they've been here? What did that do in North America? And you began to realize, well, hell man beaver ecology totally transformed the continent. They made it a much more humid and wetter place. And when we started extracting them from the world, it suddenly dried out a lot of America because it undermined an ecology that they had built up over a really long period of time. So taking the animals seriously, I think has probably been a step towards, you know, just revising the whole story of the West in America.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the biggest gaps that puzzles me. And I think it'd be like a it'd be a cool book and there would not be any quotes in it, like you said, But like personally, I folk a lot of tension on and I love reading about and talking with experts on the Ice Age, the first Americans, the Clovis culture, fullsome culture, different migration theories. That's of great interest to me. And then you have where we talked about some of these the first Europeans to make the way in the Southwest and they encounter, probably to their surprise, cities. I mean cities.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolute cities where where there were cities if you go back a thousand years, there were cities in the American Southwest that.
Speaker 2: Were that were bigger than London, like more people living in them, you know what I mean, architecture, religious facilities, irrigated crop lands, like how did we get from how did you get from? These bands?
Speaker 7: Do?
Speaker 2: I mean these like bands of thirty or forty or fifty hunters running around with stone tip tools, like how do you get to the cities? Now? I don't think that that's understood. I mean it's probably it's understood, but I don't think that's like that people like that narrative hasn't.
Speaker 6: Been told now. I think it hasn't, certainly not for kind of public consumption. I mean among the the archaeologists, you know, David Stewart with his book Anassauzi America. I mean, I think he probably told that story. I mean I certainly rely on his treatment quite a bit in trying to analyze that and to get from I mean, we start with Paleolithic big game hunters like the Clovis and fulsome people. And once those animals are gone, and they're gone by about ten thousand, nine thousand years ago, essentially what you get is a long period of hunter gatherers where the focus is on smaller animals. I mean, there's still deer and elk and things out there, and so the big game is smaller, and there's an enhanced focus on vegetable products, on plant foods, and so the hunter gatherer the very name implies that you've got a new focus on plants. You're beginning to rely some and once the focus on plants is there, then you're set up for some human genius at some point to say, well, you know this particular plant that produces this thing we now call teocente, which produces this little tiny corn cob, But sometimes there's a slightly bigger one. Is there some way that we can take the plants that make the slightly bigger ones, and if the next generation the corn cob is even a little bit bigger than that plant those and of course what they're doing is that they're domesticating plants. And I think the reason we reached that stage because we reached it in the Old World many thousands of years before this happened in the Americas. The reason being, of course, is the Americas are settled by humans a lot later than say, Europe and Asia get settled by humans, and so the whole process over time is an accelerated rate in the Old World compared to the Americas. But what happened in both places, I think to push us in the direction ultimately of crops and domesticated animals, is that as the human population grew, relying on hunting got harder and harder to do because animals became more and more difficult to find. And you finally reach a point I think where everybody knew when during hunting and gathering stages, that you had to keep the human population low. And one of the ways they did that was basically they engaged in not only abortions, but infanticide. Whenever a band of one hundred and twenty people they had too many children one year. I mean, the leaders knew if we let this go on, we are screwing ourselves to the hilt, and so we've got to control our population. And that became obviously a psychological burden for people, especially for women who were carrying kids, babies. So everybody is looking for a way to escape it. And the domestication of crops and animals became away. It's hard to grow the population now just by relying on hunting, because we've thinned the animals to the point where we can't really grow the human population. But what if we start domesticating things. What if we start domesticating plants and growing them ourselves. What if we take these wild goats, these gazelles in the Old World, in North America, wild turkeys become the primary domesticated animal. What if we take these and raise them? And that allows us then to avoid this the speed bump of having to sew assiduously keep the population down, and that then produces, of course, the Great agricultural Revolution, the so called Neolithic Revolution in the Old World and five thousand years later in the Americas. And so those cities that you and I have walked around in Chaco Canyon Historic Park, of course is the primary and most dramatic one in North America. Those cities resulted from the evolution basically of hunting and gathering culture into an agricultural sort of in Choco's case, an empire really of hundreds of small farmers growing corn, beans and squash that they had imported up from Mexico, because Mexico in North America was where the first domestication of plants took place, and that domestication then enabled larger populations that were capable of producing a city like Chaco, which you know, Chaco was such a dramatic and large place, huge buildings. There were not buildings the size of those built in Chaco in North America until the eighteen eighties. I mean, we don't have any buildings the size of something like Pueblo Benito until, you know, only basically one hundred and fifty years ago in the United States. But this is a story. It's sort of like that, you know, that other Lewis and Clark expedition and story I was telling. It's not one that plays to historical memory in America. I mean, I've talked to a lot of people who go to Chaco who are utterly shocked to find the ruins of that place. Because grew up on the East coast, nobody ever talks about the fact that there was giant city.
Speaker 2: People lived in tents.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people lived in tents and guns and yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna I think I told you about this for do you remember that the I think he's a physiologist. Jared Diamond wrote that he wrote a book Guns, Germs and Steel Steel. Did he pass away?
Speaker 6: Jared Diamond, I don't think he has passed away. No, I think he's he's still around.
Speaker 2: He kind of begins with this question, I think I told you about this forward. Was it Who was it that took on the Incins? Was it Bizarro? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Zaro.
Speaker 2: He begins with this question like, why was it that Pizarro came from Spain to attack the Incans? Why didn't I don't know who the leader the Incans was. Why didn't the Incan Empire go and attack Spain? And I think that there's a point if you'd have gone, if you'd have been, like, if you'd have visited Earth right at that time of the ascendancy of Chaco, you might have been like, I think someday these people are gonna go and find Europe do you know. I mean, it would have seemed like it was head in that direction. But then there's certain things like that misses, like the wheel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they don't know, they do not, there's no And so one of the strange things about the wheel is that they're actually figurines, little small figurines in Aztec Mexico that show wheels, but there's not an application of the wheel in any kind of of utility form because they have not proceeded to the domestication of a beast of burden that would pull a wheeled vehicle. And so, yeah, the wheel is a very strange one. But I mean your question is is really on the mark because at the same time that Chako was at its height, it's about just roughly a thousand years ago. I mean, all those great cities in the Mayan Empire on the Yucatan Peninsula were also at their height, and uh ten oach teat line, which is what Mexico city. I think. Well, I mean, you may be, it may be more accurate than I am.
Speaker 2: But the people that could answer that question, that's what I call a reading word.
Speaker 6: It it's a reading word. But that city was also I mean, it was absolutely at its height and in many respects these big cities of meso America. You know, I mean you guys have probably been to Chichenizza and seen the pyramid there, which I mean the first time I went there, you could steal climate. They won't let you climb it any won't. No, they won't let you go up the steps to the top anymore, you know. And it is precipitously steep, there's no question. But you know, I had the fun fifteen or so years ago climbing to the top of you know, this Temple of cuckl Khan, the Temple of Venus, and I mean, holy cow, man, that's just it's impressive as hell when you're there. But we come out of a you know, a Western European kind of sensibility that we were on top of the world. We were the leaders of civilization. I mean Western Europe is I mean, that's what guns, germs and steel about is about his argument, Jared Diamond's argument in that book is that the reason Western Europe managed to prevail over all those other places is that it happened to sit at the far end of the largest land mass on Earth, Eurasia, also connected to Africa, and so Europeans got to benefit from all the human inventions that took place all over Eurasia and Africa. The flow was smooth, The flow was smooth, and everything that was invented in China gunpowder managed to get to Western Europe, whereas the Americas are completely isolated from the rest of the world, not only from the ideas of the rest of the world, but you know, as we all know, from the diseases that evolved through the domestication of animals and living with domesticated animals, Europeans old worlders ended up developing all sorts of really pretty horrific diseases and when they brought them over to the America's I mean, what really conquered the Americas. This is the germs part of guns, germs and steel, is these these exotic diseases that native people had absolutely no immunity to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know another one about to not Tillon. Yeah, when you think about sort of your if you don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time studying history and you get this idea of you know, people living in tents and small scale habitations, that that's what Europeans found. It always struck me that when they when they when the Spanish got there, they had zoos. Yeah, they had zoos with I mean not foreign animals from other continents, but they had zoos holding animals like bison from places that they wouldn't even the residents of those cities could have gone and seen animals on the streets that they would have no prayer of encountering in normal life. Things collected from far away, from far to the south, from far to the north, broad and you could go like, where's that from you? It'd be like as weird as when you take your kids they see a giraffe. That people would have that experience and see it like yeah, like they would have, you know, a jaguar, they would have a buffalo, they would have birds from South America.
Speaker 6: Well, it's pretty clear that, you know, aggregates of charismatic and intriguing animals from the far edges of human knowledge a symbol together for public viewing. In effect, the word, of course, our word is zoo. That is a very human impulse. I mean, and you know, we have no idea it's possible that the Clovis people had something like that, but as you pointed out, we certainly do know that the Aztecs, which had an empire that stretched for hundreds thousands of miles in every direction, they were doing that very thing. They were collecting animals out at the far reaches of their empire and bringing them to the citadel city of the empire and assembling them into zoos for you know, for the public entertainment of their citizenry. I mean, that's that's so, you know. I mean, I've I've have argued in my books, especially in Wild New World, the most recent one that which is a book about, you know, the long term story of humans and animals in North America, that this is something and I know I derived this from Paul Shepherd, from reading Paul Shepard many years ago, that this fact, with the natural history of the living world around us, is something that is impossibly ancient in the human story. Every time we look back into the past, we find examples of it, and it survives today. And one of the ways it survives, I mean, I don't have children myself. I know you do, though, and I'll bet this happened with you, because it happens with it. Every time I visit somebody's home and they have young kids, and they show me the nursery, there are always little elephants and buffaloes and monkeys, and so what that is getting at is that it's knowledge about natural history and about other living creatures. That is the very first step in kind of the organization of the brain, in creating a taxonomy of the world around you, you know. And then when for little boys in particular, when you get to be eight or ten years old, you know, you start collecting hot wheeled cars and things like that, and that provides you with the next step of taxonomy. But that human desire to kind of organize everything into an understandable world really starts with animals. And that's why we do this with toddlers. The first thing you teach them really is the difference between well, this is a picture of an elephant. It has this long trunk and it has and this is a picture of a horse, it has this tail. And that probably you know, is something we humans have been doing for two million years.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought about why American? Why American people when they put a mobile above the crib? Why is it African fauna generally?
Speaker 6: Now, that's that's a good question, you know, And why is it elephants allisons and giraffes. I mean, because they're so distinguishable. They're distinguishable, you know, interestingly of course there it's the living Pleistocene that we're showing them, and so there may be you know, I mean, Randall, take it away, man. You should you should maybe do a piece on on the evolution of something like that.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking when you were talking about animals, and it's like, yeah, why don't we just hang you know, desks and chairs around them.
Speaker 2: This is your world, this is what you'll have, keyboards, a keyboard.
Speaker 6: On the phone.
Speaker 2: It must be some deep like the African fauna must be some like deep thing about the cradle of you know, like you're speaking to some deep genetic memory of the cradle of Africa or something easy to tell apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I also think it's like those are real animals, you know, like they're big, they're toothy, they got wild horns. There's something about I don't know, there's something about that, the exoticism of those creatures compared to what we see around us today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I still look at something like an ibex and I'm just like, that's an animal.
Speaker 6: When I was writing Well New World, I kept encountering over and over again the stories, especially when you get to the twentieth century, when most of the charismatic animals in North America are gone by that time, are reduced to such small numbers that you hardly ever have a chance to see them. I kept encountering over and over again these people who become really prominent conservationists in the United States, you know, and found all sorts of organizations from the Sierra Club on who acquired their fascination for nature and for the wild by going to Africa. And they came back from Africa and decided, Okay, we're going to try to do something like that. And it's kind of an insides vary size and variety and an indication, you know. And of course Africa, as a result of the big game parks there, preserve these animals so that people could go and see them. But it speaks in a way to the fact, you know, to Thro's lament back in the eighteen fifties that he lived in this impoverished world because his ancestors in New England had already taken out all these animals that he wanted to watch. Because he kept, you know, these meticulous notes about when the birds, particular species of birds arrive in the spring, and when they nest, and when the beavers are hatching their or having their kits, and when. So he goes through all this process and realizes, oh my god, I'm missing the lynx, I'm missing the moose, I'm missing black bears. Those have all been taken out. He could read the accounts of of the first colonists in New England who are describing pigeon flights and huge numbers of wolves, and here he sits in the eighteen fifties and all of that is gone, and he feels like, as he says, I wish to know an entire heaven and an entire earth, except demigods have come along before me and plucked from the heavens the best of the stars. And so I think, in some ways, what I kept running into with all these American conservationists who had to go to Africa first before they were realizing how important it was to you know, campaign on behalf of nature in America has something to do with the fact that we lost so much of the magic in North America. And it's like, in order to get it you had to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: To glimpse it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, in order to glimpse it and understand.
Speaker 2: You know, we've touched on this in the past. It's kind of like a like a conundrum of history and talking about Native people's We talked about this when we're talking about like Choco society and things. Is there there is a sort of a custody battle, a cultural custody battle about you know, like whose story is what right? Like do if you're not Native American, do you have a right to a write r I g h T to write w R I T E about Native culture? And and and as you're telling like when you're talking about it, is there a cult like a like a European bias, a colonial bias? You won't get it right. And when we've talked about this, I don't think you don't. You don't punt on it, but you have a point, as you said, like there's human history, right, Like as a human being, you're interested in human history, and human history travels all around the world. And it's weird to put this is my word is not yours. I'd like to speak on it, but it's weird that you would then start drawing sort of like borders of where your interest in human history can't go, you know, like, how have you grapped? Because you've had to be challenged about that being a history, Like in teaching and writing about the America West and teaching about Native peoples, you had to have encountered the sentiment of like, well, who are you to go telling people about that?
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, I would, I would say so. One of the the probably important steps in my career was I I published an article and a really fancy academic journal, the Journal of American History, in nineteen ninety two about what Happened to the Buffalo, And it was a complete recasting of the story and for the first time. And this was a period of time the nineteen eighties, nineteen nineties, probably back to the nineteen seventies when a lot of people in the environmental movement were sort of using Native people as you know, here were our stand ins for conservation living, environmental living. I mean, you all remember the famous ad where the Indian steps out of his canoe onto the shore of Manhattan Island and he steps out and there's trash all underfoot and a tear rolls down his face. Well, that particular piece that I did about what happened to Buffalo was it was not only a complete recasting of the story and kind of an environmental telling of the story. I pulled in things that nobody had ever pulled in before, like when horses were reintroduced into the Americas and went wild. I mean, they obviously were drinking the water and grazing the grass that bison had also been subsisting on, and so they had an effect. And there were whole numbers of things that I plugged into that story that I told. A changing climate. In the middle of the nineteenth century, there was a drought that lasted for like fifteen years on the Great Plains and reduced the numbers of Buffalo and there so I went through this whole sequence of five or six sort of new and compelling. Obviously they were compelling because a lot of other historians, like Elliott West sort of immediately picked up on this, these compelling reasons for what happened. And one of the things I also did was I pointed out, which you know, people were kind of shy about doing at the time, that Native people had been seduced into the market economy. And just as we were talking about this yesterday, it was a situation where Europeans were offering a transformative technology metalware guns, and if you didn't do it in exchange for bison robes, and if you didn't participate in it and everybody else, all the other native groups around you did, you ended up disadvantaging yourself to the point where you might not survive. Whereas the southern Cheyennes just down the way, we're going to do very well because they, in fact were participating in the market trade.
Speaker 2: And they're now armed with guns.
Speaker 6: And they're armed with guns, and they're armed with all sorts of metal tools. And so I talked about that, and so what that meant, of course, was that in nineteen ninety two an article comes out that recasts the whole story about what happened to Buffalo in the nineteenth century, and it also talks about the Indian role in it. Well, immediately, as you might suspect, had various Native people get in touch with me and say exactly what you were referring to a few minutes ago, what gives you the right to say this, to write about this. One of the people who did so was Vinedaloria and Vine Deloria, who was a very famous Indian author. In those days he was at the University of Colorado. He was famous for books like God Has Read Custarded for Your Sins, and Vinedaloria called me up and said, I read your piece and I think it's really good. And what I want you to do, if you would, is come down to the University of Colorado and spend three days with me. We're having a conference. I'm bringing in the wildlife managers from a bunch of the western reservations and I want you to come down, but I I don't want you to speak. I don't need you to tell them the story that you just wrote about Buffalo. I just want you to come down here and sit beside me and listen to them. And I said, okay, I will do it, and that's exactly what I did, and so I never find Laurie never asked me to speak, And for three days I sat right beside him, sort of in the protection of this guy who was his illumining figure, and listened to all these wildlife managers talk about the Native approach to managing wildlife. And of course what he was interested in having me do is to understand the Native approach to managing wildlife. But what I brought away from that particular experience, And I have said this in every book that I have written that includes a section on Native people since and on all kinds of other people. Is that, just as you inferred a few minutes ago, I'm interested in the human story, and I think as a human I have a perfect right to write about humans, an right to be able to write about humans, regardless of their culture. And I think in a way, the whole impulse was, you know, I'm an Italian American. Only I can write about Italian Americans. Only I can write about Christopher Columbus or something. I think that's a stage in our development that probably is kind of dropping away some because I think, to me, the argument that we're all human beings and that we should be interested in the human story everywhere among every group of people, we all come from the same source. We're all part of the evolutionary river, the Darwinian River. That's the stronger argument here, and so I stand by that.
Speaker 2: It'd be a uh. I think it'd be in many ways, you know, an impoverished world if you weren't able to bring all those different perspectives to things. You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think like.
Speaker 2: That big picture of like the human story is pretty compelling when you imagine that when when Allen, when humans spread all around the world and they started to meet back up, they were meeting back up, you know what I mean, you sort of lose sight of that that like that people these groups moved around and it was so long they kind of forgot about each other, They lost track of each other. But then all a sudden they come back and they're like, wow, yeah.
Speaker 6: Look what you did with your time. Yeah, you guys got so tan, and everybody is fascinated you know, everybody is fascinated by by everybody else. I mean, that's part of the whole first contact, you know, notion, is that we get to see these people who maybe thirty thousand years ago we actually knew some of their ancestors or our ancestors knew their ancestors, and now once again we're meeting up and seeing them, and wow, look what you guys did with your time and your place, and it's absolutely fascinating. I mean, that's sort of the whole premise of cultural anthropology is that, oh my god, you know, humans have sort of fractured into tens of thousands of cultural groups, with all these different deities and all these different ideas of creation, and wow, isn't it incredible to sort of listen to what you guys have to say about what you think is going on with human life? So yeah, I mean that's because like you, and I think, like all of us sitting around the table, and probably most of the people listening to this, I'm fascinated with all those differences. Yeah, I would say the stronger argument is it's the human story that compels us, and nobody has any kind of lock on a particular one. I mean, I'm certainly willing to conceive that some people might not want to share the details of their religious practices and ceremonies and all that. That's everybody's perfect right. But the bigger story, I think is ours for understanding, because that's how we managed to figure out who we are.
Speaker 2: I took this class one time, called the Structure of Modern English, and in it the guy had said the professor, I can't remember who taught that class. But instead, if at the end of the Civil War, if you had built an impenetrable barrier along the Mason Dixon Line, that at this point those two populations wouldn't be able to another, you wouldn't communicate anymore. So you imagine that little gap and that kind of like so when you imagine these these these peoples getting separated. He's talking about not being able to communicate in one hundred years, a couple hundred years. Imagine these groups of people separating and you get to watch what like ten thousand years of being subject to different climates and then different founder effects. Just it could be as small as personality differences. That's a very good point, absolutely, And the wildly different directions people go in terms of religion. You see these crazy themes animism, you know, all these cultures holding out of the ideas that that landscape features have a sort of spirit or personality. You see these continuities that they'll that folks will eventually figure out agriculture if they can, they'll get better and better at launching projectiles, right, They'll like a lot of them will figure out vertical wall, right, but on the wheel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but other things are just so different, man, Yeah, other things are so different. Now, that's a that's a really great argument, and that's why it's fascinating to explore it and to approach all of it with a curious and open mind and to allow yourself to be completely intrigued without you know, without falling back on the kind of where Okay, so our ideas are better than than their ideas. I mean, it's not a case of better, it's a case of different. And how did you guys arrive at this particular notion. But there are some obviously some commonalities that are all over the planet, and you know, the old animistic religion ideas that you just mentioned, where there are deities in wild animals, and there are deities in landforms and all of that that it's so widespread as part of the European tradition too. The Druids, for example, of only twelve hundred and fifteen hundred years ago in Western Europe are certainly practitioners of that kind of animistic approach to religion. So it's something that is so widespread that it's clear it probably dates back a very very long time. I argue while a New World in fact, that the idea that native people have of being kin to other animals, to the European line about that when in a different direction where humans are we're the only ones created in the image of God and the only ones with an everlasting soul, and everything else is different. And that actually is an anomaly compared to the idea that which is kind of a proto Darwinian idea that we're all related to one another, we're all part of the same kind of kinship order. And it requires somebody like Darwin using science in the nineteenth century to finally bring the European world back to that recognition because it had gone in a sort of an unusual direction with the notion while humans are completely different from everything else out there, I mean, we're we're special, we're exceptional, and everything else that's something else.
Speaker 2: While rather than being entangled in this kind of elaborate give and take relationship where you had to show you had to show honor to other species or else all the species would deprive you of the benefits of their youth.
Speaker 6: Since it, yeah, that's it, and that I think is very old in the human experience.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to I'm going to close with a couple of details here. The American westl Dan Floyd's will premiere May six. You can find it anywhere you find your podcast. It'll pop up every other Tuesday, m h Yeah, on its own and it'll be in at in the history category if you're if you're shopping around, I have here short show description and then show description. But the short show description is only two lines shorter. I'm gonna do the big dog the Dog. Dan Floy celebrates the American West by chronicling the heroes, scoundrels, and events that shaped its history, from the Battle of Adobe Walls to the Mountain Metals Massacre. What goes back more than that? Where's the other one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's got to be the other one. That sounds like an.
Speaker 2: Early longtime Western author Dan Floorries presents a big picture history of an American West you've never encountered, Covering a vast span in a Western America whose landscapes and wild animals drew people from around the world. This podcast tells a news story of our most fascinating region to give people a sense. The series opens up with kind of an overview. It's called West of Everything opens up with some of the deep antiquity and some and introduced to some of the broader themes. Episode two is Clovisia. Is that how you like pronounce that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Clovisia The beautiful about the early human cultures Clovis cultures, Ravens and Coyotes. America is episode three, and that gets into that that long period we talked about between early arriving humans, what happened between then in European contact, and how did people seem to have developed.
Speaker 6: A very.
Speaker 2: I'll call it harmonious or static environment, static relationship with the natural world. All of a sudden, we go ten thousand years and there's like one extinction. Yeah, and ten thousand years of human history in the New World. There's one extinction, that's right, and then man, we get busy un extinctions. It changes after that. Uh old Man America is a story of kind of why does the coyote or the coyote, why does the coyote come in as such a complex religious figure in Native American culture? The Wild New World of the American Serengetti is episode five about you know, everybody's idea of the Serengetti in Africa, about that that was the perception that people who arrived on the Grand Plains had at first. It was it was it was it was a Sarngetti of its time. Survivors from a Lost World Episode six talks about the American prong horn there's an episode on something we touched on today, Jefferson's other Lewis and Clark and that, Uh, that's the seven.
Speaker 6: Episodes, it's the first seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a lot of stuff if you're a fan of American history, if you're a fan of the West, which is a lot of stuff that you probably don't know about, but that will really shape your understanding of these other big moments and put those other big moments into context.
Speaker 6: I think my favorite phrase for something like this is that it will rearrange the furniture in your head.
Speaker 2: So when you get to be like I do reading about the battle a Little Bighorn, you'll have a much more expansive view of how that. You'll have a instead of a those few days that led up to that, you'll have a what are the thousands of years that led to this moment? Yeah? Yeah, all right, thank you Dan for coming on. Can't wait for the show.
Speaker 6: Thanks for all of this. I appreciate it. Man.
Speaker 7: Everyone subscribe to the new feed. Very important. Thank you.