Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Weekdaily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: I want to go to Nvidio though, because we are going to see their numbers drop probably any moment now, and we are seeing the stock up about eight tenths of a percent here in the after market. Obviously a big deal, biggest semiconductor company. What they have to say about the AI trade, and it's not just the hyperscalers but beyond as we heard from Kunjohn Sabania Bloomberg Intelligence, So second tier companies are they also biding buying into and video chips. So we'll have to see what they have to say say. And Vidia is app folks, let's get to it. First quarter just to DPS eighty one cents a share.
Speaker 4: That's a miss. Street was looking.
Speaker 3: For ninety three cents, so twelve cents shy what the street was expected expecting revenue is expected to be forty five billion plus or minus two percent. First quarter revenue forty four point one billion, that was a beat the street expectations was forty three point twenty nine billion. First quarter adjusted gross margin that was a miss sixty one percent versus an estimate of seventy one percent. Company, though saying that the second.
Speaker 4: Quarter outlook reflects a loss in H twenty revenue of about eight billion.
Speaker 3: Keep in mind that when that ban came from the administration and vide did do a write down of about five and a half billion dollars, and Kunjan said it was a little noisy because not all of the estimates on the street had incorporated that full H twenty ban.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shares bouncing around right now of about eight tenths of one percent in the after hours. They were down earlier. The company said that global demand for AI infrastructure is quote incredibly strong, also saying that Blackwell's NVL seventy two AI supercomputer is in full scale production. The company also said the second quarter outlook reflects a loss in H twenty revenue of about eight billion dollars. So I wonder if that charge, Carol that they took was relatively conservative, The company also saying it was unable to ship and add a two point five billion dollars of H twenty revenue in the first quarter. The company also saying it will pay a quarterly dividend of one cent per share that will happen on July third. Shares right now in the after hours are moving higher, up about two point five percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, up about two yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: The CEO, Jensen Wong, who we're going to hear from our Ed Ludlow's going to talk with him at six thirty pm Wall Street time on Bloomberg TV and radio. The CEO saying the company stands at the center of transformation. Go back to what he said about global demand for AI infrastructure, incredibly strong adjectives, and so we're going to want some more numbers around that. We're getting more on the first quarter at comput revenue thirty four point sixteen billion, a little light. Street was looking for thirty five point forty seven billion. First quarter networking revenue four point ninety six billion. Street estimate was three point forty five billion, So that's a bit of a big beat. But again, the key headlines seem to be what it says about second quarter revenue forty five billion plus or minus two percent. The estimate on the street is forty five point five billion, So we could have some upside.
Speaker 4: Tim from it, or we could see some downside from it.
Speaker 5: We're seeing shares right now hire about about three point two percent in the after hours. Want to bring in Jay Goldberg, senior analyst Semiconductors and Electronics at Seaport Research Partners. Jay joins us from San Francisco. Jay, I want to get your reaction to earnings in just a minute. I should note that you are the only analyst listed on the Bloomberg terminal with a cell rating for Nvidia. Does today's result keep you at a cell rating?
Speaker 6: So I have to go through numbers first, but I would say yes.
Speaker 7: I mean, my take is that in video, the most scrutinized company in the planet, we all have a pretty good sense of what their numbers should look like this year, what their capacity is working backwards from that, there's not a lot of room.
Speaker 6: Left for upside. Right.
Speaker 7: There's a few things here and there, but there's not much upside possible. But on the downside, there's still a lot of risks. There are a lot of things that could go wrong. There's lots of problems with the supply chain, the fact that they keeper mentioning that Blackwell is ramping. That was in doubt for a while. There's just a lot of questions the companies. It's a good company, it's well run, it's just gotten so big so quickly.
Speaker 6: I don't think they can keep this.
Speaker 7: The level of expectations beating that they've had for the last three years, that just can't keep going.
Speaker 6: And I think the headwinds are continuing to mount.
Speaker 3: In the earning statement, in video, CEO Jensen Wong saying global demand for Nvidia's AI infrastructure is incredibly strong. AI inferenced token generation has surged tenfold in just one year, and as AI agents become mainstream demand for AI computing, we'll accelerate. Jay obviously sounds upbeat, but again, you know, this is where we want to have some numbers around things. The CFO saying sales of their H twenty products four point six billion for the first quarter of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: It continues to cross.
Speaker 3: You know, is there anything that could kind of make you say, well, wait a minute, maybe I need to say it's not a sell maybe there is something interesting here.
Speaker 7: So I think the underlying question is what are we going to do with AI? Like there's a lot of excitement around AI, but it's still in very early stages, you know. I like to think of this as the Internet in the nineteen seventies. We knew it was something, but we didn't know what it would become. I think that's where we are with AI now, and I think it's going to take a few years for us to really as an industry figure out what the actual consumer use cases and applications are. And in that process there's going to be some fits and starts, and don't I just don't think we can keep this momentum going forever. I know demand is good now, but we start to look in the next year. I think people are starting to ask good questions about what is the ROI and these massive GPU investments all the hyperscalers and the enterprises have made, and I don't think we've seen those yet. I think what would sort of alter my belief is if somebody invents some incredible consumer application for AI that would radically accelerate things.
Speaker 3: Hey, I just want to point out first quarter adjusted EPs ninety six cents a share. That was three pennies better than what the street was expecting. I think we had a number that crossed earlier that was not accurate, So again they did be in terms of first quarter adjusted EPs. The second quarter forecast, just to rehash, second quarter revenue forty five billion plus or minus two percent. The estimate on the street is forty five point five billion. Second quarter forecast also reflects eight billion dollars in loss sales to China, and we know that that ban that went into effect in April, and just continuing to check and Video shares right now up about two point nine percent in the aftermarket.
Speaker 5: There's also another correction crossing right now in video. First quarter adjusted gross margin coming in at seventy one point three percent versus estimates of seventy one percent, so I want to make sure that gets there. In Vidia says the charge relates to H twenty excess inventory and by obligations in first quarter auto revenues driven by self driving platform sales. I want to get back to Jay Goldberg. Jay, you made an interesting comment that this is like you know, AI is like the Internet in the nineteen seventies. I got to tell you playing around with chat GPT and anthropics Claude, it blows my mind every single day getting in a way MO blows my mind. I mean, I mean to me, this feels like, certainly the new frontier. What's the vision that you have if we're in the early stages, if we're in the early innings of this game, like what is the impact going to be? And where will Nvidia be in that?
Speaker 6: I think those are two separate questions, right.
Speaker 7: I think in terms of where in Vidio is going to be ultimately will depend on what we end up using AI for right, And I, like I said, chat GPT is incredible technological achievement, but in terms of like changing everybody's day to day life, it's it's not quite there yet. It's very useful for some people. It's it's very useful if you're if you're writing web content or if you're coding, but for sort of average day to day use. I think of my my my nine year old father or my twenty five year old niece, they don't they don't use chat GIPT.
Speaker 5: It's just not that useful for what Really the twenty five year old is not using chat GPT. No, that's shocking.
Speaker 6: No, I'm basic. I'm using it.
Speaker 5: I'm using it more than I not more than I use Google. But like I'll go there first.
Speaker 3: I got to say my house, I think all of a sudden has kind of amped up and you've got a range of ages and using it for different things and things like even grock and you know, yeah, it's happening.
Speaker 6: It's I think it is happening. I think we have a long way to go though. Forward.
Speaker 7: The utility is really really clear, Like if you look at if you look at search even it's not clear how that's going to anetize.
Speaker 6: Are we going to start adds there? What impact will that have when we start seeing ads and jat GPT search. I'm just making of that example.
Speaker 7: I have no idea they're actually going to do that, but that's going to I think that will have an impact. I actually think I'm a big optimist about it. I think it can be much much more than what it is today. And I don't think it's really exciting until we get something along those lines.
Speaker 3: All right, We are talking with Jay Goldberg, Senior analyst of Semiconductors and Electronics Effort Support Research Partners from San Francisco and Video earnings. They have crossed, folks, and we continue to see the stock up about two point nine percent in the aftermarket. Ian King, with a write through on the Bloomberg terminal, and Video forecast revenue of about forty five billion in the fiscal second quarter, despite losing eight billion in revenue from China due to export controls imposed by the Trump administration. The company is ramping up production of its latest semiconductor design, Blackwell, and expect strong demand for its AI infrastructure, which the company believes will tran form the economy.
Speaker 4: And Video's growth is driven by its.
Speaker 3: Dominance as you know, in the AI market or in the market for AI accelerator chips. Companies increasingly offering its chips as part of whole computer systems to speed up the deployment of complex technology.
Speaker 5: So Jay got a little bit of an update there from Carol and from our OWNI and King about the write through when it comes to Invidia results. Going back to remind everybody, you're the only analyst listed on the Bloomberg terminal with accelerating on in Video. What would you need to see from the company today to have you reverse course with that decision?
Speaker 7: So I think one of the things sort of stands out for me is a year ago there was a line out the door for in video products. Everybody was buying everything they could, right and if one company couldn't take its allocation, there was somebody else who was more than willing to step in. I think the same is true of this eight twenty product. The company wrote it down a couple months ago. I kind of wonder why no one else bought that product. It's different, you know, there's all kinds of technical things there, but still it's compute at the right price, it would have been attractive to somebody.
Speaker 4: Hey what and so yeah, Oh I'm sorry, please continue.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I'm just wondering how much more demand there is right now. Again, I think AI long term is important. In the near term, though, I think we're sort of running out of steam as people are taking a pause to assess what they want to do with it.
Speaker 3: One thing I want to ask you, is it tough to have a cell rating Considering the stock Nvidia has rallied about twenty four percent since you initiated coverage on April thirtieth.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's fantastic having being the only celerated analyst on a stock I like being the sober contrarian.
Speaker 3: But even with the stock, you know, rallying as much as it did, I understand it's a bounce from being perhaps you know, taking quite a beating like many names did, courtesy of some of the news coming out of the administration. But I mean you still kind of conviction you're going to hold to it.
Speaker 6: Oh, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 7: I mean I have a good sense of you know, Jensen is going to get on the call and it can drive the stock price higher because he's a fabulous, fabulous marketer. He really knows how to sell this company, does a great job of that. But I think the substance there is still I have lots of questions about it, and I'll I'll say in you know, in the two three months i've had this celerating out there, I haven't got a lot push back from the street.
Speaker 6: I haven't had investors and clients telling me that I'm crazy. I've had a few people say I'm too too soon.
Speaker 7: I've had a few people say I'm too late, but nobody is sort of questioning my thesis.
Speaker 5: We're getting some additional details about challenges in China and China restrictions are any in King writing on the live blog that Nvidia missed out on two and a half billion dollars of sales in the fiscal first quarter and will not getting projected eight billion dollars in the fiscal second quarter. It's an amount per quarter roughly equal to its nearest rival, AMD's total sales. You mentioned demand of the H twenty specifically. Is that what you see as the biggest risk? China and a lack of demand from China, Jay.
Speaker 7: I think China is a big X factor, just because the US government's China policy is, let's call it dynamic and rapidly changing day to day.
Speaker 6: I don't think that's the biggest risk. I think the biggest question.
Speaker 7: I have about in Nvidia is long term demand for AI, where it's going, what it's going to be like in the near term. I think when I speak to corporate CIOs, they've all tested AI pilots, they've all demoed it, and what they're finding is that they get sort of ten twenty percent cost reductions around their AI deployments. It helps them reduce call center costs, things like that, which is good, but it's not necessarily enough to justify the massive investments needed to keep in video growing the way it has been growing.
Speaker 5: Okay, Jay, I want to go to a story I'm just going through. I was exchanging some texts with some friends earlier because it doesn't sound like I have a group of friends and like some of them are very concerned about AI and about impacts on jobs, and we're watching this really closely. Dario Amidae, the CEO of Anthropic, I've interviewed him before. Axios out this morning with a story that he basically said that AI could wipe out about half about all entry level white collar jobs I'm reading from Axios right now, and spike unemployment to ten to twenty percent in the next one to five years. He said this in an interview to Axio in San Francisco. Axios in San Francisco, do you disagree with that? It sounds like you're not as bullish when it comes to the actual effect of AI on the workforce.
Speaker 7: I think that again, I'm a techno optimist, if anything, I think there will be absolutely there will be disruptions to the labor force, but there will also be new opportunities over the long term. So you know, I think certain low level coding jobs, certain low level copy eating jobs, Those will start to get pretty tough. Anyone who does image creation, they're going to be challenged for a while until we find new ways to make use of these tools. So absolutely, you know, in the nineteen hundreds, all the buggy whip and you know carriage, you know, carriage makers and horse trainers, they were very disrupted, and we're going to see something similar. But the economy will still continue to grow and hopefully we'll find ways to use those people to do new things with the tools we get.
Speaker 5: I mean hopefully, or else we're in for a real reckoning when it comes to the labor force.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and again I think it's I think it's very premature to talk about these sort of massive, big term impacts of AI because the things.
Speaker 6: We actually use day to day aren't aren't quite there yet.
Speaker 7: You know, again, a few small categories where there is disruption, but in a broader sense, we haven't really grasped the full potential for AI and what it's going to do.
Speaker 6: So then it's ways to.
Speaker 5: Go if okay, So then it raises the question about other companies than your view that could be beneficiaries of the way that technology is moving. If in video in your view has limited upside. Right now, where in your view should investors be putting their money Broadcom?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: I think today, anytime in video loses share, it's to one of its big customers, the hyperscalers, Intel, micros off Google, not Intel, So our Google, Microsoft, Amazon, those companies are all in various stages of designing their own GPU alternatives, and Broadcom is going to make a lot of money helping those those chips come to market.
Speaker 5: When do you think those chips will be able to hold a candle to what Nvidia has developed.
Speaker 6: I think we're already there today.
Speaker 7: I think Google Google has the TPU, their tensor processing unit. They're on their fifth or sixth generation of those. Those are incredibly performative. They work very well for Google and what Google needs to do, and I think other Google's peers are going to start to see the benefits of that and move down that path as well.
Speaker 3: All Right, you are listening and watching Bloomberg Business Week Daily Carol Master along with Tim Stanevik live in our Bloomberg Interactive Broker Studio. We're talking to Jay Goldberg, Senior analyst of Sevenconductors and Electronics over at Seaport Research Partners. As we said, he's the only analyst listed on the Bloomberg with a cell rating on Nvidia, and yet here in the after market, we are definitely not seeing investors sell shares of Nvidia stock is up about three point three percent.
Speaker 4: This as the company did come out and post.
Speaker 3: Its latest quarterly update as well as outlook, and as our ian King rights, the company it's the world's largest semiconductor company, giving an upbeat forecast even as China slowed down Mars some of the growth slow down in China weight on results, but sales will be about forty five billion dollars in the fiscal second quarter that runs through July.
Speaker 4: That included the loss of roughly.
Speaker 3: Eight billion dollars in revenue from China because of export controls from the United States.
Speaker 4: The forecast was in line with the analyst estimates according to our data.
Speaker 3: So what's interesting is that even with that loss we're talking about, sales will be about forty five billion dollars. And as our ian King rights on our live blog, how many companies could frontload their earnings release with details of what they're missing out on and still get a positive reaction from investors.
Speaker 4: So the stock as we said, still.
Speaker 3: Holding on to about a three and a half percent gain here in the aftermarket.
Speaker 5: Our colleague Carmen Ryanikey writing on our live blog that it seems traders are acting to the company's revenue forecast, which is still basically in line even with an expected eight billion dollar loss. When it comes to H twenty revenue, that signals in Vidia is making up for the loss elsewhere. Jay, I want to bring you back in with the caveat that you haven't necessarily had the time to comb through these results. But in your view, where do you think in Nvidia could be making up for the loss in H twenty revenue.
Speaker 7: I think there's still a lot of demand from the hyperscalers. We have a bunch of massive data center buildouts taking place. We had, you know, big announcements in Salary, Rabia last week, Stargate earlier this year, UAE, ku Wait, lots of big Gulf nations are building out data center capacity.
Speaker 6: The hyperscalers.
Speaker 7: You know have you know, building these plans these data centers takes multiple years and so they've had commitments and plans in place for a long time now. So those are going to continue, right I think the question is next year, can the capex continue to be at these levels?
Speaker 6: What happens there?
Speaker 7: But a lot of what we're seeing today is stuff that was planned on and committed to months ago.
Speaker 5: So I guess it also raises the question about demand from these hyperscalers, which you said continues to remain strong. You also said that it does seem like, especially when it comes to Google, that they could have some products that, in your view at this point, hold a candle to in video in terms of where in Nvidia needs to go next. Over the last few months, we've talked a little bit about the way, and we're going to hear from Jensen Wong six thirty Wall Street Time just in a little under two hours. Ed Ludlow is going to have an Nvidia Earning special six thirty pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg TV and Radio. But Jay, I'm wondering about where you think the area of growth is for in Nvidia right now in terms of products. We've seen Jensen Wong talk in recent months about humanoid robots, about self driving cars as areas of potential growth. Where do you see that the company needs to go.
Speaker 7: I think the two critical areas for them are in inference, compute and robots. Inference is the stage of AI computing where it sort of goes into wide adoption when we built the model and then we.
Speaker 6: Need to use it.
Speaker 7: How that actually gets deployed I mentioned earlier, It depends a lot on what we're actually doing with it. Inference is going to be the big battleground. I think in Vidia has a lock on the training side of the model building, but the inference question is is looming large. How we're actually going to deploy this. We as consumers when we interact with with AI, where are those chips? Are they in our phones? Is that where the AI is being done or is it in the data center? And I think that that's a big open question. Nobody has a clear answer to that yet, and it's going to matter a lot too, you know, I guarantee they're going to talk about on the call. And the other one is, like you mentioned, is robots. Jensen has talked a lot about robots. It's a big theme of his I think I think it's an area where there's there's you know, dozens of companies building humanoid robots that can do all kinds of interesting things. And I'm just waiting for a robot that can help me fold laundry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you and me both. Jay, Hey, Jay, appreciate you joining us. Got to come back soon. Jake Goldberg, Senior Analyst, semi Conductors and Electronics and Seaport Research Partners, joining us from San Francisco.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: A lot's happening in the universe of Elon must on the ground and up in the sky, Up in the sky. Space Ex's starship suffering a midflight loss, its third consecutive setback, and it raises questions about the company's progress on the project Close to Earth.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 5: In an interview to CBS News, Elon Musk expressed dissatisfaction with President Trump's giant tax bill, saying it undercut his effort to slash government spending.
Speaker 8: I was like disappointed to see the massive spending bill, frankly, which increases the budge deps that does decrease it, and that reminds the work that Podoche team is doing.
Speaker 6: I actually thought that when this big beautiful bill came along.
Speaker 9: I mean, like everything he don On does gets wiped out in the first year.
Speaker 8: I think it both can be big, board can be beautiful.
Speaker 5: So that's a portion of the CBS interview with Elon Musk gets set to air fully on CBS Sunday morning this weekend. We should note that just the last couple of hours, President Trump did dismiss criticism from Elon Musk over the cost of his signature to AX bill. He told reporters on Wednesday that compromises were made to secure the necessary votes. We got Max Chafkin with us, the co host of the podcast Everybody's Business and Elon Ink. He's also senior reporter for Business Week. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio, You've got a new story out about Elon and whether or not he actually is leaving politics.
Speaker 4: I feel like.
Speaker 9: Every time we start to say he looks like he's leaving politics, there is again making news in politics, and you know, kind of here we go again, right. We saw this at the end of last year when there.
Speaker 6: Was talking the budget bill.
Speaker 9: A Republican Congressional Republicans reaching compromise to fund the government must kind of came out unexpectedly against that. I think we're seeing something similar, right. He's attempting, I think, to influence Congress here to at least shape this bill, if not a torpedo at all together, which of course puts him at odds in some sense with President Trump. Although, as you heard from Trump right, Trump is also negotiating with Congress right now over the exact contents of the bill.
Speaker 5: So you think he actually has a goal with comments like this, He actually has a goal of shaping policy.
Speaker 6: And look clearly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, like I don't know why else he would be saying this. I mean, he seems to be saying that this bill is insufficiently hawkish on the deficit. That's a point of view, you know, that's pretty consistent with Elon Musk. Also, there's a pretty substantial contingent in the Republican Party that agrees with him. I also think it might be worth looking at some of the specific aspects of this bill. You know, this bill has his implications for the electric vehicle industry. It gets rid of these tax credits that have been very important to Elon Musk. And other electric car companies. I don't know to what extent those are still in play, but we don't know what the final bill is going to look like. And you could imagine getting Musk on side would be worth something to support us this bill. So I suppose we'll see.
Speaker 3: As long as Elon Musk Max is a financial supporter of Donald Trump and Republicans, he's going to have a direct line to the president.
Speaker 4: Is that fair to make that assumption?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it is fair, And I think even in Trump's reaction here, you know, people, it's unclear to me from that clip whether Elon Musk is intending to criticize congressional Republicans or Donald Trump, although he did sort of mock the name, you know, Trump's big beautiful bill formulation, Trump responding to it in a pretty accommodating way, like he's he's not punching backs, He's taking it like a criticism from a friend or something like that. Elon Musk is going to be very is still very important to Donald Trump and to Republicans as a potential funder in the midterm elections and as also a very very visible supporter, right he you know, he's very polarizing now, but he's still a successful business person, you know, an American industrialist. You know, his support matters beyond money.
Speaker 5: Carol made an interesting comment, I can't remember if it was this week or last week, during one of our editorial calls about the press that Elon Musk has been doing lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like the Eras tour.
Speaker 5: I think it's notable for a couple of reasons. One, when he bought X, it seemed like he was doing everything directly to his followers and directly to the world through X. He put his head down and worked a lot with Doge. There were some Fox interviews over that period of time. But as he's moved away from the White House and over the last few weeks, we've we've heard more and more from him, and especially through like quote unquote traditional like legacy media.
Speaker 3: That's what kills me because you guys make fun of me, like my little Sunday morning shows that I watch.
Speaker 4: But it's Sunday morning. It's a very mass wide audience.
Speaker 9: So I think what's going on is Musk is suffering a lot of blowback from customers.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: He talks all the time about you know, the legacy media and the Democrats and the and his various sort of political adversaries. But what's happened when you look at opinion polling is regular people, the people who buy musk stuff, have turned on him. There was a really interesting poll published the other day by Harris and Axios. They ask people to rate how they basically how much they trust well known companies. And you look at Tesla and SpaceX over the last five years, and it is stunning. They went from being some of the companies with the best reputation to some of the companies in this universe of one hundred companies with the worst reputation. And I think what he's trying to do is get both investors and consumers to focus on the other stuff, the non political stuff. So we had this rocket launch yesterday, which, as he said, Tim did not go very well for SpaceX, but there was a big media role out. He did a bunch of interviews with various outlets. I assume, although don't know for sure, that this CBS interview was part of that, essentially saying like, look at the space stuff, look at the technology, which I think is smart from a messaging perspective, because SpaceX is just inherently going to be less political than you know, attacking various parts of the federal government. On the other hand, Musk still needs this relationship with Donald Trump, and SpaceX still needs this relationship with Donald Trump. So it's going to be a difficult dance. I think it's going to be very hard for him to undo some of the damage that was caused with certain consumers, especially you know, left leaning consumers.
Speaker 3: You know, I always think about money with everything we do, rightfully so, but there's a story on the Bloomberg about Elon Musk's Neuralink raising six center million in a deal that values that company at nine billion. This is coming from Semaphore siding unidentified people. So people, it sounds like if this is true, like still committing money to his ventures. I mean, I wonder, Max, we live in a funny world. Could it be six months, twelve months, eighteen months where all of a sudden, like everybody's kind.
Speaker 5: Of back in on Eli because we have brain chips.
Speaker 4: Because we have brainchips.
Speaker 8: Is that what?
Speaker 4: Maybe there is brain chips?
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean, Like, I don't know, does he do something I don't know.
Speaker 9: I think he's in a very difficult political position. I think certainly that is what investors are hoping, you know, right. He made some comments on the earnings call about a month ago, essentially saying, you know, maybe I'll spend one to two days a week advising President Trump rather than you know, full time.
Speaker 5: And I was saying twenty four to seven, he's going to be on company.
Speaker 4: Sleeping somewhere on the floors.
Speaker 8: Who knows.
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, investors like this. The issue is he is now closely tied to Donald Trump, and I don't I don't think short of really like turning critic and saying, okay, now I support a different political party, which could happen. I think it's going to be very hard for him to walk that line because all you know, politics is very polarized in this country, and it's going to be hard to avoid, you know, winning back these people he's alienated without in turn alienating you know, this kind of new cohort or conservatives who still very much support Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Just twenty seconds left on the SpaceX launch that didn't go exactly as planned? Can can they still spin it as a win. That's what they're doing.
Speaker 9: You know, all these launches are experiments. That's they're going to say so, so you shouldn't really focus on the result. That said, a lot has to go right between now and next year for them to hit the timeline. And each time one of these launches does not go right, it gets harder.
Speaker 5: Max Chafkin, the co host of the podcast Everybody's Business and Elon Ink, also senior reporter for Bloomberg BusinessWeek. He's joining us here in the Bloomberg Interactive at Brokers Studio.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple car Play and the Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 5: It is one of the most read stories on the Bloomberg terminal right now. ETFs have a mass trillions of dollars by offering investors greater tax efficiency, liquidity, and lower costs than mutual funds. It's why we've seen inflows that are so huge into ETFs and not into mutual funds. Now, a regulatory shift is poised to bring ETFs and mutual funds closer together, but it also threatens to complicate the very features that fueled the ETF boom. Done Emi Grafeo and Wildona Hire right about the dual share class structures that could be approved as soon as the summer, and the warnings about what could transpire if the market becomes stressed. They're both Bloomberg News Crossouts reporters and they join us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers Studio. Emily, I want to start with what this looming shift is, this regulatory shift. Explain what exactly it is and why it's happening.
Speaker 10: Okay, so right now, when you're an investor and you buy a fund, you buy a mutual fund, or you buy an ETF, and ETFs have one share class. It's just an ETF, you get the ticker you buy. If you buy a mutual fund, depending on what avenue you're buying it through, you'll be in a different share class. You could be in the institutional one, the retail one, the advisor friendly one.
Speaker 1: Sometimes their price differently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was going to say, sometimes the share class has a different expense ratio or I don't know, like that's the difference, right, Yeah, yetifically exclusively through your private wealth.
Speaker 1: Matter or something exactly.
Speaker 10: So maybe you get like a discount because you're using it through like your employer or something, but ETFs don't have that. Twenty over twenty years ago, actually Vanguard made this patent where they could create a dual share class fund where they have a mutual fund and an ETF all in one, so you have multiple mutual fund share classes and then one share class of that is exchange traded. The reason why they did this and they patented it is because it makes the fund in total more tax efficient. Basically takes all the tax efficiency of the ETF and puts it onto the mutual fund. So they figured this out. They were like, great idea, let's patent it, make sure no one else does it, and they save their clients billions on taxes over the years.
Speaker 1: The patent expired two years.
Speaker 10: Ago, so now everyone else on Wall Street is trying to get in on it.
Speaker 4: Can anybody and everybody do it? Goes on it? Well not yet.
Speaker 11: So we have more than fifty firms that have applied for the dual share class, but we are still waiting from regulators to hear from regulators. We are expecting, you know, the industries, expecting the SEC to greenlight this and to actually allow it, maybe possibly as soon as this summer. But you know, right now we're just in in wait and see mode to see if we can actually get approval on this.
Speaker 5: Build on what's the concern here? If there is stress to the market, if there are liquidity issues, like what are the risks that some of your sources are sharing with you.
Speaker 11: Well, there's a couple of different concerns, but one of the main ones is, you know, issues related to what Emily was just talking about in terms of the tax efficiency. So if you have a mutual fund and ETF together and you and the mutual fund has to pay out capital gains distributions, then in that new structure, the ETF investors could potentially also be hit. And there is some historical precedent. There actually is a fund of anguart fund that back in two thousand and nine had huge outflows and so the ETF share class investor, you know, the ETF investors were also hit with a fourteen percent distribution.
Speaker 4: So there is some.
Speaker 11: Precedent and so a lot of market watchers or you know, people who are maybe looking at this from a critical angle or thinking ahead and saying that potentially this is an issue that could come up.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm going to age myself.
Speaker 3: But when I started this career about three decades in accounting, one of my first things I did was like a mutual fund show and it was just like it was kind of everybody was all of a sudden, you know, getting investment plans at their companies, and it was the big thing. And I guess and then now we've kind of seen the ETF rush over what the last decade or so in counting?
Speaker 4: Do we need both?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it just a case?
Speaker 3: Like as I saw this story, I'm like, Okay, here it goes the mergeover to ETFs. Is this a first step of eventually everything being converted? Or are there are advantages to having one pure bread ETF versus one pure.
Speaker 4: Bread mutual fund?
Speaker 10: Yeah? I think when we started out writing this story, we wanted to understand. There was this report from Seruly and they posed this question of like, why would you buy if you're an investor in an ETF, why would you buy an ETF attached to.
Speaker 1: A mutual fund if you could just buy a standalone one?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: Because the sec one of their.
Speaker 10: Concerns that they flagged, and issuers will say that they've answered them. One of the concerns is is there going to be this issue of like cross subsidization, one class subsidized in the other. To answer your question, though, there are some advantages to mutual funds. A lot of mutual funds are already in tax exempt accounts, So a lot of mutual funds in people's four to one k's. That's probably the four to one k technology. It's not really suited to hold ETFs. So most of our sources expect that that that's a pretty big part of the market that will.
Speaker 1: Stay in mutual funds.
Speaker 10: This structure is more for maybe if you're an investor that you've been sitting in a mutual.
Speaker 1: Fund in like your brokerage account for years and years, and you have all.
Speaker 10: Of these embedded capital gains that if you were to sell you would pay a huge.
Speaker 1: Capital gains tax on.
Speaker 10: You could tax free convert into the ETF with this and maybe wash out at least some of the taxes.
Speaker 1: That's the idea here.
Speaker 5: Build on our people or firms still launching mutual funds, are they going all in on atfs?
Speaker 11: I mean, we're atf reporters, so I'm gonna say they're all going all in on the.
Speaker 10: Coperation vice.
Speaker 5: But it has seemed like even some of the huge traditional mutual fund companies, like a Capitol Group for example, I think you spoke to them at Milken Carol.
Speaker 11: MFS is one hundred and one years old and they launched five ETFs.
Speaker 5: Lash like that's that's a big deal.
Speaker 11: I think all of them are watching where the money is flowing, and mutual funds as a category are seeing outflows, and ETFs are seeing record inflows every single year. And obviously we're seeing like hundreds of new ETFs every single year, and not all of them are you know, home runs, but you just need one. If you're a small etf issuer and you have one hit, that's it.
Speaker 1: Like that, you're you're set.
Speaker 11: Like you know, if you have one strategy that that you know, maybe a ton of retail investors are attracted to, or something new, something that truly is innovative, it can.
Speaker 1: Work out really well for you.
Speaker 11: So a lot of people are looking at that and thinking about.
Speaker 4: Well why not.
Speaker 11: It's pretty cheap actually to file and a lot of times to launch ETFs. It's a bit obviously, it's very difficult to attract assets and attention and eyeballs, et cetera. But if you can do it, you know, you can get you can get a home run.
Speaker 3: I mean, is there something to learn by what Vanguard did and kind of where this then maybe ultimately goes Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, well, one, using the structure, they were able to save clients in mutual funds a lot on taxes. Vanguard gets consistent inflows. So then this this concern about the capital gains distributions like bleeding into the ETF, it's really only concern concerning if the mutual fund gets a ton of outflows and has to like sell shares to meet a redemption. They've been really successful. But I mean, Carol, they are Vanguard. That's why get huge flows. They have a huge audience. I think everyone saw Vanguard's success. I think most fund managers are realistic and that like, they don't have the scale the Vanguard has. Fair but if this is a way to maybe squeeze a little bit out and get a couple more assets through now having an ETF, might as well try.
Speaker 11: But if I can add, yeah, you know, market watchers critics people We've talked to analysts who are anticipating any of the potential conflicts with this. They say it's not a panacea for mutual fund managers to stench outflows like mutual funds still are expected to.
Speaker 4: Keep seeing outflows.
Speaker 11: So even if you get this dual share class structure approved, it doesn't mean that your outflows are going to You know that you'll be all set terms of performance is bad saying exactly, Bill.
Speaker 5: Donnie, you mentioned that if you have a successful ETF, it can be game changing for a smaller term. What about if it's Trump Media and Technology, for example, you wrote about this company recently. It's majority owned by the President of the United States, and you wrote that they're laying the groundwork to come out with some ETFs.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 11: It's actually an unusual move to pre announce that you are planning to launch ETFs. Usually, issuers keep their ideas close to their what's the saying, to their vest, to their heart, and close to the vest, and so it's very unusual to pre announce that you're going to be doing something. But Trump Media did say that they are planning on soon filing and launching ETFs, and separately Managed accounts SMAs with three different themes, oil and gas, made in America, and cryptocurrencies.
Speaker 4: The catch here is.
Speaker 11: Obviously all of that is tied to the president's various policies, whether they're terrifilated or cryptocurrency related. Obviously, oil and gas was a big theme when he was running for re election, right, But more than sixty oil and gas ETFs already exist, more than sixty focus. There's even a handful of made in America ETFs already, and so what a lot of ETF you know, analysts ETF.
Speaker 1: The industry is looking.
Speaker 11: At this and thinking it's you know, you're adding to the mix of an already saturated, oversaturated market. But it does come with potentially the president being able to, you know, maybe go out and say you can buy my phones or something along those lines, and that that might you know, hinder or hurt his competitors, the people who already have these et al.
Speaker 3: Right, that's a great story that you have on the terminal. We're gonna give you guys equal love because you guys did a story together, that was your story, and well you've got another ETF story. We've just got about forty seconds left here about State Street looking to kind of double down on it's a bit to bring private assets to a broader spectrum of investors. So this is an ETF. This is an ets the private market world.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is a private credit ETF. They have one already and launched in February. The flows have been very lackluster, especially for Stage Street. They're a big issuer. They've only seen like five million inflows over a couple of months. But they are doubling down. This one's going to be a short duration private acid ETF. The one they have now it's a little bit longer duration.
Speaker 4: Markets are longer duration.
Speaker 10: Well they said, yeah, they said this one's one to three years. It's still in the early stages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe you guys might you should do.
Speaker 4: I know we have an ATF podcast, but you guys should do an ETFO.
Speaker 8: Show.
Speaker 3: And La Grafe the Donna Hirich so appreciated both Bloomberg News crocessset reporters.
Speaker 4: Check them out on the Bloomberg and a Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoonunes from two to five pm Eastern, on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal