Speaker 1: If you're on the Internet, you've probably seen a rise in a certain kind of social media video. I know I have.
Speaker 2: Here's everything I prep for my husband for the next two days.
Speaker 1: Tradwives.
Speaker 3: The definition of a tradwife is not merely someone who stays at home, but who romanticizes it. Where we are looking back not only to the way things worked in the fifties, but the values that families had in the fifties.
Speaker 1: They are wives and mothers making beautiful, elaborate meals for their husbands and children, sometimes wearing designer dresses. The Internet has been quick to call them tradwives, women who advocate for traditional gender roles, and some of them are Latin US.
Speaker 2: We won.
Speaker 1: A launch, but they're not letting themselves get boxed in from Futromedia and the RX, It's USA. I'm Marian Josa today a collaboration with Imperfect Paradise from Las Studios. We go deep with a viral Latina tradwife and we're joined by.
Speaker 4: Host Antonio Sadaji.
Speaker 1: Though so Antonia, we used to work together. The first time Donald Trump was elected. We were actually in the same newsroom here in New York City. Fast forward to twenty twenty four. I'm in New York, you're in LA and Donald Trump wins again. Latinos came out for this Republican candidate, winning forty six percent of their votes. Donald Trump broke the record for the percentage of Latino votes for a Republican candidate.
Speaker 4: And while I know Latinos are not a monolith, I wanted to understand what's informing Latino attitudes and their decisions culturally and politically. What are some of the forces that Influencedino values in this country. We're doing a special three episode series all about this question, and on today's episode, we are turning towards TikTok. And I think there's one corner of TikTok that is particularly enlightening, and that's Latina tradwife TikTok. Is that I remember scrolling TikTok as a distraction to my anxiety on election day. I had re downloaded it after some months of being off TikTok, and the first ten videos I got were like these women with like super long painted fingernails and they were making lonche or lunch for their husbands.
Speaker 5: Y'all better not start in the comments talk about just pack at the night before, girl, are you the one getting up bright and early to feed my man?
Speaker 4: I think the hell not. And then I went to the comments, and people were either like idolizing them, you know, being wow, like that's so beautiful, gmoso that you're making lunch for your husband, or people being like, oh my god, I would never wake up at three am for my husband, like that's insane. And I just, you know, I fell down the Datina tradwife rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: Now there is a larger tradwife movement on the Internet of mostly white, affluent Christian and Mormon women. I'm thinking of the very well known tradwife Ballerina Farm.
Speaker 4: We are making a rubbed heart.
Speaker 6: We got ready for church, the girls and I got started on the hamburger buns, sourdoa candles, when new tinsels, and honey and seasoning and dish soap, granola, all of it.
Speaker 4: Many of these women don't explicitly talk about politics, but they do seem sort of maga coated in the sense that they reflect a cultural return to very gendered family values, which means women are responsible for raising the children and taking care of the home, cooking and cleaning while men are out earning the money now.
Speaker 1: Of course, Mexican and Latina women have been feeding and taking care of their families since pre Columbian times. I mean, my mom cooked every single day, and you know it was a part of what made my home really special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting to see this practice of making food for one's family presented in this potentially maga coated way, yearning for this past where men and women had these traditional roles. And one of the things we covered a lot at Latino USA was how more and more Latino women are getting higher education degrees. And that's part of the reason we see this big gap between Latino men and women in terms of how they're voting, because it tends to be that people who are more educated tend to vote in more progressive ways. And watching these women, you know, these Latino tradwives, I was transfixed by them and I was thinking to myself, I actually don't know where these women stand. Like they're presenting this idealized lifestyle, but I actually don't know what they care about. What are these women's political beliefs and what's influencing and informing those beliefs.
Speaker 1: And so this week on Latino USA, we are going to trace the story of one Latina trad wife. Her name is Lupita and Argerida Antonia Sejido is going to take it from here.
Speaker 4: Lupita has over half a million followers on TikTok under the handle Louvo. On Instagram, she has over one hundred thousand. She's thirty three. She's got long, flowing black hair and wears tight clothing that accentuates her curvy fit figure. There is a lot of variety in her videos. Sometimes she's lip syncing or dancing to musica. She could be shopping at the grocery store, pumping gas, or even one time riding a horse. She also talks about empathy, caring for others, and inner beauty. You know.
Speaker 2: Instet Merina.
Speaker 4: But there are two kinds of videos that are sort of her bread and butter and tend to perform the best. The first kind are these cooking videos that she records in her outdoor rustic kitchen, Oh You. And the second type of video is a genre that got me down the Latina trodwife path. To begin with the videos where she makes lunche or lunch for her blue collar husband at three a m. She films those in her indoor kitchen Lanchez delivery. In the videos, we can see Lupita smizing at the camera between quick takes of her chopping sauteng and packing up food like aonias meatballs, stuffed bell peppers, chicken and mole into her husband's lunch pack.
Speaker 7: Magnanas I was very excited when Lupita responded to an email for me and said I could come visit her in Fresno, where she lives with her husband and two children.
Speaker 4: After driving nearly four hours from La we arrived to the middle class, suburban blurred neighborhood of Fresno. Poopita's house is an average ranch style home with three beds and two bats on a quiet street. She greeted us at the door, and my first thought was that she was very sweet and pretty, but also anxious. She immediately said that she rarely had guests over. My team and I set up our gear and headed to her sunny, bright backyard.
Speaker 2: This is where we're going to be making the tortillas. This is where I usually make the homemade food.
Speaker 4: Noopita was wearing up tube top, snug flair yoga pants and her jet black hair woven into two braids that gently fell on either side of her face. In the middle of the yard, there was a rustic outdoor kitchen with a traditional comide.
Speaker 2: And just put a little bit of fire on it.
Speaker 4: A flat round griddle that's used to make dorothiez.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I built this.
Speaker 2: My husband build it for warm me not too long ago.
Speaker 4: There's a large Mexican flag hanging at the back of the kitchen and several animal skulls hanging on the sidewall.
Speaker 5: And he's very into like hunting, so this is actually real deer that he hunts, so he put it there to give it a nice little touch to the kitchen.
Speaker 4: It was surreal to be standing in the kitchen I had seen so many times and the star of the show was standing in front of me. I watched as she recorded a new TikTok video.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Do that video.
Speaker 4: Lupita is moving around a tripod that's holding her phone recording as she prepares a soup la. She's warming up a saucer with water and cutting up ingredients like garlic and onion.
Speaker 2: I show me and then I show how I'm caringa onion.
Speaker 4: When Lupita is filming a full body shot. I catch her batting her eyelashes and smiling at the camera.
Speaker 5: I feel like the camera calls for me, and I'm passionate about it.
Speaker 4: Today. Lupita estimates that she makes three thousand dollars a month off TikTok. The platform pays creators based on how many views their videos get. She says she normally makes an additional five hundred on Instagram, and if she has a sponsorship, she can make up to four thousand a month. She's partnered with Vita Coco, Google hair Extensions, Weavy Talk, which is a hair care line, and even Rahida, who asked her to promote their song Vicaviga. Lupita started creating social media content when she was seventeen years old. Initially, she posted photos of her outfit of the day, viral dances, and also started playing around with cooking videos on Facebook. But after she got married and her kids were no longer infants, that's when she started making what the Internet likes to call tradwife content.
Speaker 5: Esmikos is.
Speaker 2: La vida.
Speaker 4: Lukita thinks that what makes her videos popular is that she combines fantasy with relatability.
Speaker 2: I think the ranch life is the fantasy.
Speaker 4: She doesn't live on a ranch, but her elaborate outdoor kitchen was modeled off the kitchen at her in laws ranch in Meetwalk, on Mexico. She likes to role model the traditional Mexican woman who makes fresh, homemade food.
Speaker 5: I think it's a fantasy for a woman to be out here in the full wall and making tortillas. Nowadays, a lot of women don't know how to make tortillas. But I think when it comes to lunch, I think is a little bit more relatable. That's why my lunch videos they were so popular. Right now, the lunch videos are trending everywhere. A lot of women are making them for their husband.
Speaker 4: So you were recording something you were already doing, Like before the recording the videos for TikTok, you were already waking up before it. Why do you wake up so early for your husband?
Speaker 5: I wake up so early because it's like a just of love. He wakes up every day to work five in the morning, and we know that it's not easy to work. Everything's expensive now, So I said, if I can do something nice to show him that he's worthy of my time and that I could also sacrifice, why not. It doesn't take a long time. I'm home all day. Hey, this is your lunch fresh.
Speaker 4: Lupita says that she thinks that men, especially like her videos, that they like seeing an attractive young woman playing that traditional role for her husband and for her. The goal is not just views and likes. She sees herself as trying to course correct the dynamic between women and men. Do you feel like you're advocating for, like the traditional wife lifestyle also.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't die down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're worried it's going to die down. Yeah, why are you worried about that?
Speaker 5: What I'm just saying is like, you can be a business woman but also be very feminine and still take care of your kids, still be that old school woman, but still be like empower to yourself, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Coming up on Latino USA, the surprising influence that inspired Lupita to defend more traditional family roles, and we talk about who she voted for or didn't stay with us. Yes, Hey we're back and you're listening to the first episode of a collaboration between Latino USA and In Perfect Paradise. Reporter Antonia Seihido was telling us about TikToker Lupita.
Speaker 4: Did you feel like we were getting pressured to not be feminine.
Speaker 5: I think I was getting pressure to be very masculine. I grew up in a household very masculine, my mother making decisions, answer and calls.
Speaker 4: Going into this interview, I had assumed that Lupita got her value system through her religious life, but the truth is that her values were actually a rejection of certain archetypes she saw growing up. Lupita was born and grew up in Fresno.
Speaker 5: I was born Chicana, was born here, but my mom was always very busy in working.
Speaker 2: She was a businesswoman.
Speaker 5: She grew up seeing a lot of poverty and she wanted to break out of that. So she didn't want to be a traditional home life. She wanted to be a business woman.
Speaker 4: Could you tell me just what your parents did while you were growing up.
Speaker 5: They have their own merchandise business. They sell merchandise for like you know, people in the music industry.
Speaker 4: Things like hats for being northeno Aks, like Julio and Albarez. Lupita's mom ran the business with her stepfather.
Speaker 5: She w owns the calling the events, calling the stadiums, getting the permissions, and my dad would just like kind of like just swallow onto her, just make sure everything's good.
Speaker 4: Her mom was very much not a traditional housewife.
Speaker 2: She didn't really cook a lot.
Speaker 5: She would cook like maybe like little soups off in there, but she didn't want to be a traditional home wife.
Speaker 2: I grew up seeing this, and I kind of saw.
Speaker 5: That sometimes making all the decisions yourself is very stressful. I saw my mom very stressed. I don't think she got to enjoy a lot.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. You saw the stress, and you're like, I don't want that in my best too much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the person that she brought to the house was my cousin, and she took care of us.
Speaker 4: Upita says that her mom had paid for a Coo yote to bring her cousin across the border from Mexico into the US in exchange for having her take care of the household chores.
Speaker 5: And she would make this delicious food for the whole family, including my mother, And I was just like this food is amazing, like so good, and I fell in love with the kitchen. I was a child, you know, my sister was upstairs putting music. My brother was like playing games, and I said, what is she doing? So I went to the kitchen and I would just stay there and look at her watcher. She said, you want to make a tortilla. I said, no, I don't think I can do that. Come on, let me teach you. And she told me, don't take a defense at the woman should know how to do this. You're fifteen, you should know how to make these kind of foods.
Speaker 2: So she was very old school.
Speaker 4: Lupita had these two very different examples of what being a woman looked like. Her mother, who made money for the family and didn't have time to cook and could often be stressed out, and her mother's cousin was an expert at household tasks. And while one lifestyle was already appealing a lot more to her than the other, it was only once she got married herself that she understood what kind of wife and eventually mother she wanted to be. How did you meet your husband?
Speaker 5: I met my husband in one of the events that I was working on with the music business, Yeah, the music business, And he came over to the booth said hello, miss, you know how much is this hat? And I said, oh, I was twenty five. But then he said, oh, I just came to talk to you. Yeah, so he was like throwing his little shots and just being romantic and everything, and it started from there.
Speaker 4: In the love story, it was it love at first sight.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: So it was like you just knew. He makes me feel protected. I feel protected with him more than anything protected.
Speaker 4: When they first met, Lupita's husband painted houses. They got married in twenty fourteen, when she was twenty years old. They bought their house shortly after, and then came two kids. Initially, her husband didn't want her to be on social media at all.
Speaker 2: When I first got married.
Speaker 5: My husband's rule, get rid of all your social media?
Speaker 4: Really yeah, and how'd you feel about that? Then?
Speaker 2: I did do it.
Speaker 5: I was really big on Facebook back then. I think I have one video that I saved before he deleted everything. But I said, okay, you know what, this is not meant for me. Social media's getting gone for me.
Speaker 2: So I stopped. You know, that was his what year was that? That was maybe like twenty fifteen. So I deleted it.
Speaker 5: But for some reason, after we had our children, I said, hey, I already had my children. How do you feel if I jumped back and children? No, No, a lot of people are going to see my family how they're going to feel.
Speaker 4: What was he nervous his family was going to feel.
Speaker 2: You know, just like attention more than anything.
Speaker 5: Attention because that's what people see social media, so you want attention.
Speaker 4: And at that point, did you know you wanted to be a housewife or it was like after meeting him, you're like, oh, I could be a housewife.
Speaker 5: It was like a tug of warp at first, and we were like fighting because I was testing new waters. I saw growing up that my mother had all the pants and all this power, so I said, I have to administer the money.
Speaker 2: I have to do this, I have to do that.
Speaker 5: So he was just like, this is not the way that I grew up. It was like very like clashing. And then as time, I don't know if it was meant to be. I saw a TikTok saying, you know, let a man be a man and the woman be a woman. Take it down a little bit and like be a little bit submissive.
Speaker 2: But it was a woman that was very motivational.
Speaker 5: It was a Mexican woman and she was said, why are you trying to take on a role of a man when you already have the role of being a mother, taking care of kids, and you want to add on to be doing what the man does. So I said, relax, let him lead. Let's see where it goes.
Speaker 4: How did that change your life? Like, how did that actually play out?
Speaker 5: I'm in peace. I'm in peace because when you're a woman, you already have enough. And then telling him how to run the house, telling him what to do, just let him be a man, let him lead you, and yeah, it has work. The more I shut up, I know it sounds bad, but the more that I shut up and stop whining, I see.
Speaker 2: That it works.
Speaker 4: Eventually, Lupita's husband, Kevin, softened to the idea of Lupita making videos again. She said that once he saw how passionate she was about it, he became okay with it. I later spoke to Kevin on the phone to get his side of the story, and I asked him why he deleted all of Lupita's social media.
Speaker 7: I don't know, if it's just like mature.
Speaker 4: He said that he was nineteen and immature at the time. He also told me that he likes that Lupita takes on a traditional role at the home and it's how he was raised, so he thinks it's normal.
Speaker 5: But I'm not like the traditional men like a great web or something like that. I'm more like shield did you grow up with?
Speaker 4: That was your mom like the housekeeper at home and your dad made the money.
Speaker 6: Yes, for me, that's something I see all my life. So for me, it's like something normal. I don't feel like, oh, really, they have to do it because that's the job or something like that.
Speaker 4: She does, so I like, yeah, like you wouldn't want to force someone in that situation, but if they like it, you like it. Yes. He also said that now he's really supportive of her videos and thinks it's cool that she's making her own money from something that she loves to do, and that all the money she makes he wants her to keep for herself. In the next five years, Lupita told me she sees herself expanding into creating a business selling her own products leggings and health supplements. Today, she settled into her routine. She wakes up at four in the morning, makes lunch for her husband, takes her kids to school, goes to the gym, keeps making content while her kids are at school, and then picks them up. Do you get lonely?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: I think before I had my kids, I was lonely. I think now I'm very comfortable with being alone. I think that's my strength. I think right now my weakness is to socialize. Now I'm too comfortable with being alone too much that I need to like socialize more because I need to.
Speaker 2: Know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like social media is your community?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, social media is my community for sure. I enjoy very much.
Speaker 4: I want us to know about Lupita's politics. I saw a post of hers where she was at an anti ICE rally in Fresno, but as my interview went on with her, I had a hard time parsing out what exactly her political position was. On the one hand, she did seem very concerned about the immigration system in the United States.
Speaker 5: I think ICE should really try to help the Mexican community just in general. I think people should be able to be here free if you're paying taxes, and the criminals, obviously they should be deported. But I think everyone has the right to have an opportunity to better their life.
Speaker 4: But Lupita also raise concern about an issue that's basically become a bell weather for MAGA women. What are the issues you most care about?
Speaker 5: Child trafficking. I think that one hits my soul. I don't think a lot of people talk about it.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty, the hashtag save the Children became viral as a part of a QAnon conspiracy that liberal politicians and celebrities like Barack Obama, Lady Gaga, Hillary Clinton, and others were part of a cabal of elites who are pedophiles and child murderers. Since then, there's been sustained panic about child trafficking, especially online.
Speaker 5: I think we are failing our kids because child trafficking. Just because these kids are getting trafficked and you have your kids at home doesn't mean it doesn't affect you. It affects you because now you can't take your kids and just leave them anywhere. You can't trust anybody.
Speaker 4: Nubia told me that she had voted for Joe Biden, but was quickly disillusioned by how expensive everything was during his term. She became cynical, who did you vote for in the last presidential election?
Speaker 5: To be honest, if I'm completely honest with you, I didn't really vote. I think either way v bothe of the presidents are going to do as they wish, whatever's best for them. I think we've seen that they really haven't done anything to help the people, but make everything rise so expensive living. So at the end of the day, I think that they're going to do what they want to do, whether you vote for them or this.
Speaker 4: Like neither of the candidates inspired you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Basically leaving Presno, I had a belly full of delicious cheese soup made by Lupita and was feeling a mix of warmth and weariness. Lupita had been so welcoming. She was as charming in person as she is in her videos. I also felt I fully understood what drew her to her person sense of traditional values. While Lupita's messaging is decidedly not feminist, especially what she has to say about submitting to her husband, her personal narrative goes with the larger theory that the rise of popularity of tradwife content is a reaction to third wave feminism. Women made many professional gains, but not necessarily gains in the domestic sphere, often creating a double work day for women with families. The tradwife is a rejection of that, an attempt to create more labor equity in the relationship. In some ways, it seems like it's working for Lupita, but spending so much time alone at home is isolating and means that one of the primary ways she interacts with the world is through her phone. I was concerned about the trustworthiness of the information she was getting through social media. I called Lupita several months later to do some fact checking about her own story, and she mentioned to me that she's a fan of cam Owens, the far right commentator, and also that she's really concerned about the murder of children in Gaza. She even posted about its uses as personas Inocentes, Lubida continued to defy categorization. Her political beliefs don't appear rooted in democratic or Republican ideology, but instead seem like a new concoction curated by the algorithm that feeds the content on her for you page. She ended the call by telling me that our time together meant a lot to her. She told me that she feels like she's in a new chapter of her life where she wants to meet more people in person and quote spread her wings. She told me that she's open to voting in the future if there's a candidate she feels wants to make the lives of immigrants and families safer, healthier, and better. I found myself nodding along, kind of surprised that the world Lubida ultimately wants to live in is one that I want to live into.
Speaker 1: Coming up in the next two weeks of our special collaboration with Elieist, social media isn't the only force influencing Latino attitudes in this country. There's something else, hope, or maybe the loss of it when it comes to the American dream. But is the American dream being replaced by the Mexican dream. Then later, we're going to take a deep dive into a debate that's happening among Latino pollsters, and we're going to look at the role that data and messaging played in the last election and how that influenced Latinos and their votes. This episode was written and produced by Antonio Sejuido, the host of Imperfect Paradise. It was edited by Maria Garcia and Marlon Bishop. Senior producers for this episode were Emily Geren and Natalie Chovnowski. Production help from Monica Moreles, Garcia, and James Chow. It was mixed by Stephanie Lebau and Julia Cruso from Latino USA. Fact checking for this episode by Roxanna Guire. The Latino USA team also includes Fernanda Chavari, Jessica Ellis, Dominique Innestrosa, Victoria Estrada, Renaldo Leanos Junior, Andre Lopez Gruzzado, Luis Luna, Marta Martinez, j J. Carubin, Dasha sannoal Nour Saudi and Nancy Trujillo, Penileamirez, Marlon Bishop, Marie Garzi I are co executive producers and I'm Your Host Marieno Hosa. Catherine Mailhouse is executive producer of Imperfect Paradise, also the director of content Development Astella Proximayes Chao.
Speaker 5: Latino USA is made possible in part by California Endowment building a Strong State by improving the health of all Californians, Skyline Foundation, and funding for Latino USA's coverage of a Culture of Health is made possible in part by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation