Speaker 1: Welcome into the Raves Press Pass podcast. It is Wednesday, October fourth, and the Raves are getting ready to play the Pittsburgh Steelers this week in Pittsburgh. As they prepare for that matchup, here's what head coach John Harball how to say after practice today.
Speaker 2: All right, good seeing everybody. Appreciate you all being here. Good practice, warm day. Guys worked hard through it and we're focusing on the challenge that's right in front of us. And it's a tough challenge, but we're excited for it. Obviously. It's a game that we look forward to every year. What questions you have, don I know you don't like to.
Speaker 3: Talk much back interview, but what is it like when you go on the field and you see Marlon Odell, you know, even Ronnie and Bateman, all those guys coming back good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's good.
Speaker 2: It's good to see guys out there practicing. Different guys are in different stages, you know, as the week goes on in terms of all the different guys, we'll see where they're at for Sunday. But it is good seeing guys get back out.
Speaker 5: Ny from Marlin Turns, I know you're probably not going to.
Speaker 3: Get fit, get specific.
Speaker 5: But what have you seen in terms of the Kenny products there?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he's been working super hard. It's one of those things where it's really just a matter of the healing process in there taking place in the bone or whatever. And so it looks good, we'll see what happens. It's just got to see how response to the work low. That's the main thing right now.
Speaker 6: He coach, you had a few players this week, in particular Eric Thomains and having a veteran like him and after just Oliver's departure, is his main assignment to be like one of those blocking tight ends.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no doubt Eric's known for that. You know, it's kind of his things. He can run routes, catch the ball.
Speaker 4: Certainly.
Speaker 2: He said, he's a veteran player, highly decorated tight end in this league who's kind of known as a really good blocking tight end. So he was available, he was excited to come back, and you know, we can put him into that mix and see where we go.
Speaker 5: On Kenny pictons since Paser, I mean that he's expected to play on Sunday. He was what you've seen for the mont you know what you expect the problem on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, we've got a lot of tape on on kennybviously played them seeing him on tape all the time. Obviously excellent quarterback. You know, in the system he's they fitted the system to him. It seems like like always. Yeah, I mean we're looking forward to the challenge, you know, and that's what it's going to be, and we expect him to be out there. He says he's going to be out there. We're expecting to be out there. You know, it is what it is. You know, you find out we had the same situation last week and it didn't go that way.
Speaker 4: So you know, we'll just see where we're at.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, obviously Mitch Trubisky's a heck of a player too, and we'll be preparing for the Pittsburgh Steeler offense.
Speaker 7: John had a usual stretch of the schedule three straight road games for a division game, then international game. Do you have to shift things like players, sleep, cycle, nutrition, vocals on any differently or do you just stay day to day.
Speaker 2: We have a plan, but I think we can talk about that next week. It'll be better, Yeah.
Speaker 5: John, A lot of great linebackers have similar traits.
Speaker 8: But when it comes from Roquan, especially the way you kind of just splashed in your defense last year, right, is there's something unique that makes him kind of stay out amongst the even amongst the crowd of the great linebackers that you can cook.
Speaker 4: It's a great question, I'd say, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think you're you could possibly stand out in this different this craft as a football player unless there's things about you that are very unique, you know, and sometimes it's the simplest things and just being great at those things that is unique, because the simplest thing, sometimes the hardest thing, is to be consistently great at and that's one of the things he does. I Mean, he's relentlessly chasing every detail of his craft, and he does it with an enthusiasm and a demeanor and a confidence that you pretty much, uh, you respect when you see it, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Is there any aspect that when he arrived change you felt like it was affecting the culture of either the defense or even just the linebacker room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly adding to it. I mean, you know, a great leader brings brings it to the culture. I think the culture is a lot of things and one of the things it's uh, it becomes kind of a mix for all the all the parts, you know, all all the pieces in there, and sometimes sometimes you know, there can be a cat list. And I think he was a little bit of a catalyst for us that way and just the way he operates, and and that's good.
Speaker 4: That's what leadership is.
Speaker 5: If he jumping right away or Steve Smith talking about it, I got to wait a year.
Speaker 4: But you know, Steve Smith didn't read wait a year.
Speaker 2: He might have said that. I recall him jumping right in and yeah, and Roe was the same way. He jumped right in, and he just was Row, just like Steve was Steve. And and one of the great quotes that Steve Smith has is uh he says uh, he says I was born or raven.
Speaker 4: I just didn't know it until I got here. You know, it's pretty good.
Speaker 9: We appreciate that John.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 11: He saw obviously Marcus Williams get full participation in the last week, but it's a different kind of situation for him. Are you looking for something specific this week to kind of get him the green mind?
Speaker 4: Just looking for him to be ready.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's a lot of factors that are involved with that, and uh, and we'll see as we get along in the week how he looks, how he feels, and whether or not he's ready and he feels he can perform and he's gonna be safe.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like, you know the orders give you guys are over the cost or is he sort of didn't go and forward?
Speaker 2: He certainly has. Uh, he's played very well. I mean obviously that catch is the run. Uh, he's he's he's a he's he's something. You know, I really appreciate it with what we thought he was gonna be when he came in, he's been. He's been all that and more. And now we have to figure out the roster gymnastics of all that right now. Also that combines with the injuries and things like that. So uh, Eric be working on that and trying to do the math on that.
Speaker 11: I think you guys have been one of the best stepends of the journey. Yeah, not giving up those intermediates. I know say that you guys have been on that at those best teams, not giving up and pass like intermediate and he throws.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 11: The emphasis with Mike has been like a Noxio soccer communication in the back end. Have you seen that kind of playoffs? I'm obviously film is one thing.
Speaker 12: Which to kind of be on it.
Speaker 11: The part just field, I'm on our game dangers hearing guys talking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, that's that's something that is a staple. I mean, that's a staple, uh, principle in football and in life. You know, maybe not obnoxious in life, but certainly of noxes on a football field when you've got seventy five thousand fans screaming their lungs out to try to impede your communication. And that's what we've got to be able to do. And I think the guys have done a really good job of it, but we can get a lot better. It's week four, so you know, week five is another chapter and you've got to be better than you were the week before, for sure.
Speaker 4: So that's what we keep chasing.
Speaker 3: Odell and.
Speaker 5: Were shot back being back out there.
Speaker 13: How does that change the dynamic of things for you guys?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's two more really good players, you know, and in terms of what you can do, what they're capable of doing, the fact that you've got some more guys out there with who are fast and talented than you had previously.
Speaker 4: I think it kind of speaks for itself.
Speaker 2: Specifically, you find out when you get there, you know that's that's kind of how it goes. You have to play the games on Sunday to really know the answer to a question like that.
Speaker 4: A great thanks.
Speaker 1: That was that coach John Harbaugh. We also talked with inside linebacker Patrick Quayens having a terrific season this year. He talked about his mindset going into this game in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: Someone that has said.
Speaker 3: Before that you relished playing an enemy territory. There's something a little after this sets you still try to ring. Uh.
Speaker 12: Yeah, uh.
Speaker 10: Anytime you know, you join this organization and they talk about this game, it's the game that defines you and makes you a raven. And uh when I was on my SI on their sideline my rookie year, Mike Tomlin was looking at me, s yelling at me, You're not a raven, You're not a raven y R. You're not supposed to be there, You're not You're not one of them. So every time I play them in something personal that with you, Yeah, definitely did, definitely did. I don't care if he was joking. I don't care if he was serious. At the end of the day, I don't on your sideline you're telling me I'm not a raven. It's kind of disrespectful.
Speaker 8: So do you think it's not that not everything playing you go in any.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just cause at that point it's like, I like, I never even told you anything, like you just coming at me. So I mean, at from that point on, it was just it is what it is.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 14: That's kind of like, Uh, you know, if you played them, you were talking about how you know you feel you weren't a.
Speaker 3: Ray of it until you get the Steelers rightly did so?
Speaker 12: Uh are you ready to just even the numbers?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Uh your matchups against them definitely. Uh, sitting at one and five versus them, Uh, it's not a good record at all, and uh we're looking to change that.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 10: So you know that's been a talking trying of you know, catch back up on the on that record and obviously all those games were decided by very few points, and uh we know where we went wrong in those games, and you know that's what we're leaning on now, is just correcting our m power pass mistakes.
Speaker 15: Does does Rooklund go into a different headspace on game days then the other guys that you've.
Speaker 12: Played with there we your career. Uh it's hard to tell a roquind Rock crusts like that every day.
Speaker 10: Uh he really doesn't change, but uh, game day definitely get a little bit more intensity. I you s you gonna get the same talk that you get every day, but it's different, different intensity that grew.
Speaker 12: Yeah, salatary number.
Speaker 10: It was mine. He was Uh ro Quad was looking at me. He was like, uh, Martle gonna come on his lobe, which you think we should do? And I was like, let's not just talk to him. Pissed him off a little bit. So he was just sitting there stead they trying to talk. Stead they trying to talk. And it was so hard after laugh but as soon as he walked away, we busted out laughing. It was so funny. You think, yeah, definitely, it definitely pissed him off.
Speaker 12: It definitely did.
Speaker 16: You're uh here a quarterway to the season or we battled through a lot of development, Uh.
Speaker 3: Pressure throughout It just where you feeling right now.
Speaker 12: On in this season, still trying to improve.
Speaker 10: Uh, I feel like my game there's another level to a lot I feel like we're just getting started, and you know, I I'm just trying to be great. I'm trying to come in every day focus getting better one day at a time. I'm not tryna look too much into the future. Uh, even though there's goals that I wanna reach, I'm just really just focused on being one percent better each day.
Speaker 3: I Thrick you mentioned, you.
Speaker 13: Know, rose influence on here and so far since you got here, A curious could you see your Davy in it?
Speaker 3: And Uh, probably way in the way I do. I know he's got here.
Speaker 7: What do you see.
Speaker 12: From those guys that stands down to you? Uh? What uh clowney?
Speaker 10: You really see like the intensity that he plays with every play, the aggression that he plays with, how physical he is, uh, how fast he closes in on the attack point and with k what kV is, Just how smart he is, Uh coming in the first day knowing is that exactly what to do on all his jobs, talking about certain players that he's about to see. Uh, just you know how well he communicated the first time he was out there. So Uh, it's two different things that you get from both of them, but you still get a concept of things that they do well, and uh, just seeing those two guys, two guys that you look up I looked up to, playing playing the sport, just watching them do what they do and be great and just.
Speaker 12: Trying to really fall in they path.
Speaker 17: Patrick Hill with Marylin going down early and Marcus doing down early. But what do you think the perception was of this secondary and what do you think Pats show in the past three or fourth weeks?
Speaker 12: Now we knew our guys catball.
Speaker 10: Uh, I think when you look at the outside world, the outside world look at obviously it's Marlin and Marcus, you know, going down, But uh, we got faith in the guys that we got and they wouldn't be here if we knew they couldn't play. So any time we stepped on the field with our eleven, we know we got faking in each other.
Speaker 3: And you guy think, uh, you know, I talked to you and there was all these injuries happening, and you had really how's it down? Kind of the opposite. How's it feel when you know you're getting back Marlin Odell Baiting, How how's it do when you get these.
Speaker 12: Guys coming back?
Speaker 10: It's definitely confidence boost But at the same time, you know, uh, we going out there with the same game plan, doing the same thing we've been doing, and just trying to up at the notch, and uh, you know, getting those guys back is a huge plus. But like I said, the guys that we had in there, I felt like we did good with them, and I feel like they you know, they stepped up to the plate and there was there's not gonna be no drop off at all.
Speaker 12: Did better.
Speaker 17: If there's a a lot of talk the fourth year of guys just kind of how competitive this a snooda for quarterbacks. Joe Burrow maar, you know they could sending wants going back. Ex What do you kind of make of things right now? It's seems like the Mars at the top of the rest is kind of in transition almost.
Speaker 10: Uh, it's just a tough division as a whole. I think you look at every position, every position got great players, and I think that's just what makes each ain't so tough. Uh, minus the rivalry is just each position is loaded with talent. And when you look at each player that's in the division, you look at the quarterbacks and the talent that's around those quarterbacks that make them better. So think, uh, all the t quarterbacks in our division are great quarterbacks. They're obviously on the teams for a reason, starting on those teams for a reason, and they got the guys around 'em that we gotta go play against every day. And I honestly think it's the toughest division in football. I honestly if you aks me, but yeah, that's how I feel.
Speaker 3: Patrick d It's it's one game of the time.
Speaker 16: But do you feel like the the locker room kind of is the natitude of if you beat at the port, you you sweep all your AFC uprop games.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 10: I mean, honestly, we just trying to be one to notice. We were not looking too much in the future. Like I said, we were focused on get being one percent better. L Like I said, it's tough. It's tough to go in there. I'm you look at my record. That's why I'm focused on this week. Just getting better as a player, getting better on the defense, looking back at the past things that we did wrong, and just getting better from those things so that way we could go in there and get this one and then you know, start talking about the future.
Speaker 12: At that point.
Speaker 15: It is a calitary that's Najie Harris runs with does that kind of add to the rivalry and the physicality of this game overall?
Speaker 10: I think anytime you playing a great player like him, uh, you want to try to get out there him. And obviously when he goes, their team goals man and when you show him down, their team shuts down. So the big focus is definitely stopping twenty two.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker Patrick Queen. We also talked with tight end Mark Andrews Is coming off a two touchdown game last week in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: When you when you're getting guys back, like you know, Oto Marlon Days, how's it feeling you.
Speaker 12: Get it feels great?
Speaker 14: You know obviously you know some of these guys that are coming back are special players and can help this offense.
Speaker 12: And you know it's exciting to.
Speaker 14: Be able to have all those guys back and be full throttle and you know, watch these guys make plays. You know, we talked about Lamar and the type of player that he is, and you're surrounded with you know, the other guys outside like that that's special.
Speaker 5: Chal have have.
Speaker 14: H those guys are you know, ballplayers are dogs. They know how to go up and get it, make big, big time plays when it matters and when you have you know, guys like that in a game like this, you're able to rely on.
Speaker 6: That divisional game, This one has a little more spots to it being the big or Steelers. How you see the group keeping them momentum against the Steelers this time.
Speaker 14: I just think elite focus, you know, being able to you know, we talk about being lasered in week by week and you know, obviously the the Ravens Steelers game is uh, you know, one of the best rivalries in the world. And you know, if you're not ready for a game like this, you know, what are you doing? But for us being able to focus out here on practice, knowing what to do, visualize, visualize the moment and and make the plays when they come. Because it's a week by week basis, we just got to keep on stacking, keep on going, and if we do that will be the team we want to be.
Speaker 5: Obviously, defense has changed every year.
Speaker 3: They've given you guys some trouble in the past.
Speaker 5: Characteristics on the Steeler.
Speaker 14: Defense what makes them and year out, I mean you talk about, you know, the type of team that they are, that the defensive front and obviously physical, tough, you know, all those things you expect from a from a Pittsburgh defense, you know, and at the end of the day, when you when you have two teams like this and you have that rivalry, it's it's something you always got to bring your launch man, because it's a tough game. You know, no matter if if the team's doing real well one year or not, it's gonna be a good game.
Speaker 5: A lot of passes from.
Speaker 1: Uh from over the years. The one he threw in then on Sundays was that one of the best rows.
Speaker 14: And it was incredible.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 14: I I felt like it was slow mo. You know, wasn't when it was in the air, you know, just the placement of it, the height of it, the spiral it was. It was an incredible ball. And you know, but he's making you know, throws like that over and over and over and over.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 14: It's it's just so nice that people are seeing it and you know, for us just being there for him and and make them plays when they matters.
Speaker 5: Focused, being locked in you've appeared that first training.
Speaker 3: Is this just what you in that competitive mindset and just having such.
Speaker 14: A Yeah, you know, I think it's it's about getting better, you know, as a team.
Speaker 12: You.
Speaker 14: You want to be able to progress and peak at the right moments. But this league is so tough because there's so many good players, so many good teams, and you take just one little step off, you know, that's a chance for someone to take your spot, or someone to beat you, or no matter what it is. So you know, taking onus on yourself to to be a pro and you know, take it week by week and focus. The Leaf focuses everything in this.
Speaker 15: League on the other side of the ball.
Speaker 3: And what stands out to you about him.
Speaker 14: He's such a special player. You know, you don't see guys like that. You know many times he's just the way he sees the game. He's very smart. He studies a lot of film and he looks at information. He knows exactly what's coming. And you know, to talk about like a Louke Keikley type of deal. Guys that are super vocal, able to lead. And he's got that fire that I haven't seen for many, very many people. Man, he's got that lead focus. He's able to do it at such a high level. He's been a blessing for this team, for this defense and a catalyst for what we can be.
Speaker 3: What's the difference won there.
Speaker 13: Do you feel too, what is the difference from.
Speaker 9: You when when you get to that.
Speaker 14: I feel I feel ready to fly around, and I think you you kind of see it week by week being able to move around and just feel good to be back, be.
Speaker 12: Healthy and you know, get back to myself. All right, Thank you, Mark.
Speaker 1: That was tight end, Mark Andrews. And last, but certainly not least, is quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 6: I would like to have OBJ andshot to your offense.
Speaker 12: Also can be a chilled.
Speaker 15: In the back Tom.
Speaker 18: Uh, it's wonderful lot more speed on the field. Uh, got a vet out there looking forward to it.
Speaker 13: Kind of change the dynamic and that, you know, place to give you more weapons, having you know, Bathings and uh and Obja out there. And how does that just change maybe your confidence level or or just the options or things like that.
Speaker 18: Uh, Like you said, the option, the option part, more guys on the field getting open a harder job for me because those guys want the ball as well.
Speaker 9: Is onunder one football on the field.
Speaker 18: So that's pretty much the the problem for me.
Speaker 9: But it's a good problem to have, right.
Speaker 15: When I think air yards per attempts are down league wide. They just not as many teams completed the deep balls. Are you seeing defenses change in in in their approach and trying to take that away from offensive.
Speaker 18: I believe in this day and there's just a lot more speed on the field with a lot of offenses in the NFL, and uh, it's making defenses play off a lot more and just making sure no guys beat 'em over the top. And that's pretty much whyse that that situations happening right now. Not a lot of deep passes, a lot of air passes down the field right now?
Speaker 3: What uh, Raven Steelers? I mean, it's always been a tough battle for you. Yea when you guys put teams to people, what what is really stands out overall? Just when you whenever you.
Speaker 18: Have to play against the Steelers, you un Uh, it's it's a different one, uh, out of all the out of the Browns and uh in the Cincinnati Bengals, this one's like it's uh, the atmosphere is different, Like it's more intense, more aggressive even in practice.
Speaker 9: You know, guys just getting pumped for for this game. That's about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you look at.
Speaker 5: The red zone success you guys have had how.
Speaker 16: Much of it do you attribute to or some new schemes and new new formations and offense, and how much do you think like the bends are of finding a comfort So I.
Speaker 5: Mean like you and Mark for example, that guy's been teammates for years.
Speaker 16: Is our ages developed or word that has made you more successful in scoring test jings?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 18: I believe, uh just taking our time moving in the red zone, not trying to rush anything. That's just that's giving us so much success right now this season. We just need to keep it going. I don't wanna stay you know, he's just stay talking about that for too long, but we just need to stay where we at right now and stay focused, locked there and when we touch the black zone e or or Mark talked about.
Speaker 1: That, How is important to have a laite focus when you go up against a team like the Steelers. How does his kind of he seems like he's always intense and focused at all times.
Speaker 3: How does that sort of affect.
Speaker 5: You guys as an offensive?
Speaker 3: Well, it's y have kind of have a leader like that.
Speaker 5: It's that's always kind of locked in.
Speaker 12: Uh F.
Speaker 18: That's great to have. I I love him Mark locked there and he gets on other guys. You know, yeah, let's stay locked in. Even myself included, you know, not not him getting on me staying lockt there cause I'm locked in, but let him getting on other guys. Just keep keeping them focused, you know, because it's in they giving play.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 18: We we tryna score on our offense. We just trying to draw the ball down the field and put points on the board. So us staying focus it helps us out a lot.
Speaker 16: Or if you look at your numbers career, you know, a far more success to get Cincinnati Cleveland than you have up against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: Who what's the challenge they representing?
Speaker 3: Is there anything that you could point to.
Speaker 16: For why offensively you guys may not have put up the numbers you have against the other AGEC Northeast.
Speaker 9: Uh, I don't know. I I just said that too.
Speaker 18: It us like it's different when we played the Steelers, but hopefully it's a different outcome this season.
Speaker 9: I don't know what it is, but hopefully it's different. Right now, what's it like to.
Speaker 3: Go against rokwand and practice?
Speaker 16: What was he like kind of looking at across the line.
Speaker 18: Uh, well, I had to go against ro rocann Well, I call him Rohan Hardest called him Rohan, and I just kept the name. But uh, going against Rohan and practice is it's like in the game, but I'm not getting tackled. You know, he's communicating to the guys you know, oh this might be coming up.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 9: He he's a I'll say he's a great study.
Speaker 18: Because he called out players not ours, but he be calling him out when I'm watching, you know, the the the scouts team go up. He's a great linebacker. And then it helps us out a lot.
Speaker 5: Though, how do he affect the culture now?
Speaker 18: He affect on sure when he got here last year, I think our defense like allowed uh certain amount of points to be scored, probably like thirteen points or something like that. That's the effect he had, you know, just no point, barely points being scored on us. Uh, everyone playing like fundamental sound speed to the ball, and he's like a Raylewise for us.
Speaker 3: What what's it?
Speaker 13: What's it been like going against the Steelers? It you because you've mentioned you know, they're obviously streames, always close, they're tough. Does it feel more physical in some ways than than something that game to.
Speaker 5: You have or you know, knocked you around?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 9: N Uh I believe every game physical. Every game is physical.
Speaker 18: But I don't even I probably played Stillers like three four times. I haven't been playing three times. I only played against some three times, so I really haven't. I don't think I played my best against him yet.
Speaker 9: But uh, I don't know. We're gonna see Sunday.
Speaker 15: How would do you like when you get your number calls as a runner in the Reds A. I mean, you've been so stressful down there obviously the past two weeks. You know, just you feel like it opens up a lot of things defensively because you're running.
Speaker 18: Ability the defense give us a look for me to run or my numbers call and whatever is gonna take it for us to get into his own I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna try to do it at least one hundred miles for hour, and.
Speaker 9: If the defense give us that look, that's what it'll be.
Speaker 12: All right?
Speaker 9: Thank you, Lamark, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens well back in action Sunday at one o'clock to face the Pittsburgh Steelers. Now, as we get you ready for that game, make sure you head over to the Lounge podcast feed. We actually sat down with Gus Edwards. Really interesting interview about his mindset, his approach, the confidence that he brings the field. That's dropping Thursday mornings to check that out wherever you get your podcasts. You can actually watch that episode on YouTube as well. Thanks for listening, we'll be back with you tomorrow