Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Julia Cornet on Now Micropolicy Perspectives on the Fed on our economy, Did Julia there's a dual mandate jobs inflation? I'm sorry, real economic growth matters too. Are you marking down your real GDP and your nominal GDP?
Speaker 3: Well, we're definitely marking down our real GDP. We do now expect a recession to start in the second half of this year in the United States. And nominal GDP that's another question, because we do expect a burst of infla from these tariffs. That's one of the things that one of the factors we expect we'll take the US economy into recession is the hit to profits, the hit to purchasing power. Yeah, it looks like it's a difficult road ahead.
Speaker 2: Could you model out a five percent and plus unemployment rate? Or someone this weekend said, can we go to six percent?
Speaker 3: Sure? Sure, I don't see I mean, there's two there's two ways to look at a potential recession in the US. On the one hand, the US economy has been an extraordinary shape going into this. There aren't obvious imbalances in the US economy. We don't have an over indebted consumer. The banking sector looks pretty healthy, so that would argue for maybe a milder recession. On the other hand, I mean, we're just seeing a generational change. This is an existential shift in the role of the US economy and the global economy and the global world order and capital markets, and that could certainly argue for a deeper recession. So on average, we put pencil in an average post war recession, and that certainly gives you an unemployment rate close to six percent.
Speaker 4: So, Julia, I guess if you think about these tariffs here, what are the upside from your perspective for this tariff policy.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't see a lot of upside. I don't see a coherent strategy. It is, you know, a strategy of pushing our allies away rather than pulling them closer to address maybe some of the real issues we have in terms of trading practices with China. So the and the method of on again, off again, not knowing what the ask is in terms of these bilateral negotiations, it just seems very chaotic. So in addition to the actual hit from the tariffs themselves, there's just tremendous uncertainty as to you know, what the policy will be if you negotiate a deal, will it stick or will that be renigged upon you know a few months down the road. The US has become an unreliable negotiating partner.
Speaker 4: So Julia, let's you know, we talk about this economy, we have to talk about about the consumer here. How do you view the consumer here today? How precarious a position, if any, is the consumer facing right now?
Speaker 3: So going into this, you know, the labor market is pretty solid, but it has cooled a lot. And what we had seen was that we'd seen a rotation away from strength amongst the lower wage consumer towards the economy really being driven by kind of the wealth effects and the higher end consumer. Last year. So middle consumers had already gotten pretty budget conscious, pretty you know, they had been hit more disproportionately by higher interest rates, so they were already feeling a bit of a squeeze and hiring can consumers have been doing well and certainly had really strong portfolios going into this year, but now that foundation has taken a bit of a hit, and we would certainly affect some additional downside ahead in terms of asset valuations.
Speaker 2: We welcome all of you across the nation this morning. Paul Sweeny and Tom Kane. This is Bloomberg Surveillance on YouTube. Good morning, humbled by the global reach of YouTube. Subscribe to Bloomberg podcasts and of course on Android Auto Apple car play as well. Good morning to Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New.
Speaker 5: York, Julia Cornado with us.
Speaker 2: Megan Clark of Saint John's University will join us here in a bed, Doctor Coronado. The tumultuous time that we're in, does a FED find a new process, a new path, or do they just say we're going to get through April May June out to Jackson Hall.
Speaker 3: You know, I think the FED is going to approach its mandates the the way it always has. It's going to look at the state of the economy and the risks to the economy. I think what we've heard is a sort of stern message from share Powell in the sense that they're facing difficult trade offs, at least in the near term. They don't know. They see risks to their employment mandate, they see risks to their inflation mandate. They go in opposing directions in terms of the policy prescription. So they're just going to have to see which one is the dominant influence. But the starting point in terms of their own assessment is that we are in balance in the labor market. So they're checking the box on their full employment mandate right now, but they are not checking the box on their inflation mandate. We are not at two percent. We've gotten a lot closer. The underlying dynamics look okay, but if we experience an inflationary shock on top of that, that pushes them further away from already a gap that they're not particularly happy with.
Speaker 2: Doctor Cornetta, Thank you so much, Greatly appreciated, Julia cornetto micropolicy Perspectives.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Apple Corplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty Paul.
Speaker 2: Sween and I begin our coverage of the death of Pope Francis, and what we're trying to do is bring you informed people about his life, the present, and the future that we will see for the Catholic Church and it's reach across one point four billion people worldwide. We start strong with Excellence out of Fordham University, Boston College. Meghan Clark joins US now with Saint John's at University, where she does important work on moral theology, among others. Meghan, thank you so much for beginning our coverage of the death of the Pope. You wrote a while back on Thomas Aquinas and you said good is to be done and pursued, and evil is to be avoided. How permanent is the method, the process, the pastoral effort of Pope Francis or do you look at it as a one off pope versus what the future would bring.
Speaker 6: I think that Pope Francis, I don't think anyone it's wise to call him a one off in terms of the impact that he had on both the Roman Catholic Church and the world. What Pope Francis really showed us is how to take the method of Vatican two and really globalize it and live it in ways that inspired billions of people.
Speaker 2: Do we understand how unique he was? I've always thought from a distance from the church that we really don't understand the there where he took over from Pope Benedict. How unique was I believe thirteen twelve years ago.
Speaker 6: We knew something was a little bit different when he came out in all white and insisted that before he give the audi the Square his blessing, that he asked everyone to pray for him. I think that every pope is a little bit unique, and they bring all of their life experience and their challenges and their gifts and their graces. But there is something about Pope Francis's humility and humanity that just deeply connected with people.
Speaker 4: Megan Now, the Catholic Church, in the Holy See and the cardinals they turned their attention to electing.
Speaker 7: A new pope.
Speaker 4: What are the pulls and pushes in that we're going to see over the coming days.
Speaker 6: So it's going to take a while, and Pope Francis will have all of the papal funeral process, and a whole lot of people have to get to Rome before they will begin a conclave. But really the most important thing for everyone in that room is going to be really trying to figure out and pray where is the Holy Spirit guiding them to really figure out what the church needs? And that's you know, we're here in the United States, but it's a global church, and so kind of what we think of here often as kind of the big issues aren't always the big issues for the cardinals coming from places like Congo or Al Salvador or all across the world.
Speaker 4: And Megan, you know, the Catholic Church, the Holy see it is not unlike or not too dissimilar to a lot of countries around the world where there are profound liberal elements of the church and profound conservative elements of the church. To what extent will they have to, I guess, agree on electing a next pope who was maybe the upper hand?
Speaker 7: Do you think?
Speaker 6: I think the realities the majority of the College of Cardinals were elevated to the status of cardinal by Pope Francis at this point, and so I think that's going to be something that because he has been pope for for quite time. I think the reality of how to continue the level of engagement globally, not just of kind of church leaders, but of the people. That happened over the last two three years with the Synod, you had really mobilizing and conversations starting in every small diocese across the world. And so I think there is going to be attention to continuing this to be a listening church, as Pope Francis has tried to show us how to be to be a listening Meghan.
Speaker 2: Clark at Saint John's with us as we continue our coverage of markets challenged this morning, looking to the events in Washington as well, and also the death of Pope Francis. Meghan Clark again out of Fordham in Boston College. Just with very early work, her book The Vision of Catholic Social Thought was profound in twenty fourteen, Megan, as simple as I can, this is a pope that had to deal with social media. I go back through my childhood, pauled all of us in our experience. These are popes that moved its slow motion.
Speaker 5: How does a.
Speaker 2: Catholic church and your study of its theology, how does it change in a world of social media.
Speaker 6: It has to be more responsive and more visibly present in ways it didn't have to before. And I think we saw that with Pope Francis's attention to the environment. He really focused our attention most on the environment, on the plight of migrants around the world, and did that. He knew how to do that by both what he said, but also where he went and who he met with, and he would go to the people in places and so things like his first visit was to migrants at Lampadusa was something that was a pastoral choice to do, but it also was in a global media world something that was astute.
Speaker 2: Okay, But his parents were Italian, he was in Argentina, the first pope since the fifteenth century I believe to be outside of the Italian European orbit. You're saying that it is now entrenched with his work of twelve years.
Speaker 6: I think the institutional changes that Pope Francis made, as well as the pastoral message of really focusing our attention on the margins of society and the world and on the need to protect our common home.
Speaker 3: Are they were.
Speaker 6: They were priorities before Francis, but he moved them to the center. And I think that that's that's something that's going to stick around.
Speaker 7: Megan, is there a front runner to be the next hope?
Speaker 4: Is there maybe a geographic part of the world that maybe needs to show leadership.
Speaker 6: I think that there's really no way. I'm a scholar and uh a theologians, so I'm not going to I'm not I'm not going to play into the politics. I will say that, you know, with Pope Francis, the Holy Spirit certainly surprised everybody. So we will see.
Speaker 2: Megan, that was beautifully answered, and that a compliance at Saint John's University is in of your ability to dodge Pole's difficult question.
Speaker 5: And Megan, what to me is so interesting?
Speaker 2: And thank you so much for forgetting our coverage of this process, if you will, of the Catholic Church. We all have our images, but one of them is a recent movie.
Speaker 5: Did you see Conclave?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 5: How often? Mark was it? Professor?
Speaker 6: Well, Hollywood always takes its liberties. But the thing that I will say about that movie is that I do think you get a sense of the difficulty that lays before the cardinals in the coming weeks, as well as everything else aside everybody who will be in that room to determine who will lead my church. It is going to be people who, in goodwill are prayerfully trying to figure out who is the best, because it's not about ideologies, it's not about positions theological or political. You know, you're you're electing a person and the person that Mark Sorry for him, Mario Bergoglio had had the grace to lead the church really powerfully and beautifully. One of the highlights most important moments of my life is getting to meet Pope Francis after working on a project in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: You know, there.
Speaker 6: There is just something that was communicated by just being around a holy man that yeah, they got to try and figure out who has the grace and the strength.
Speaker 2: And thank you so much, we hope we can call on you in the next coming days. A full bite scholar out of Fordham and Boston College and now at Saint John's University. It's shocking Paul hurt accomplishments in so many short years. The only equivalent I can think of is Elizabeth.
Speaker 5: Economy on China. It's just overwhelming what Megan.
Speaker 2: Clark has accomplished within the academics of the Catholic shirt.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg surveillance podcast. Catch US live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Got to Makunda with us this morning.
Speaker 2: He's at Yale University with some outstanding books out, including Picking Presidents. Thrilled that he could join us today. Very busy news cycle here the Vick's thirty one point eighty two dollar in retreat. So at Yale, you can't get admitted unless you read eight hundred seventy six pages of Jonathan Spence. The Search for Modern China can't go to Yell. I've actually read it cover to cover every word it was, you know, to write a passage in all that if you know, forget about giving the Chinese leadership. Jonathan Spence is a search for modern China. What if we gave him your book Picking Presidents? What do you see out of Beijing? Is they look back on the presidency You've studied so well?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: I will quote so I lived in Beijing in twenty sixteen, the first time Trump won, And I will quote a senior Chinese official who said to me, if you guys want to give US leadership of the world.
Speaker 7: We will take it.
Speaker 8: And that's basically the simplest answer, except this time it's that on steroids. If there is a source of American influence and power relative to China that has been weakened by that has not been wetted by this administration, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Urgent message here for surveillance World. David Gura sends it a note thank you, David for listening this morning.
Speaker 5: In your three hour work week. Gura also read every page China.
Speaker 2: So in twenty sixteen you were in Beijing and those red doors were shocked at what was happening. How do they negotiate? I don't people say we're negotiating. I'm like, after the Japanese news this weekend, really are we negotiating?
Speaker 5: Professor?
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm sure that they're talking, because they'll be back channel discussions at all times. But yeah, it is a cliche to quote Sansu about the Chinese. I'm not going to do that, but I'll say it is a general rule of strategy that when your enemy is making a mistake, get out of the way, exactly, and I think the Chinese see that quite clearly.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just don't see negotiation going on, whether it's with Vietnam or Poland, I just don't get.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but yeah, I guess one of the questions if you talk the administration, what we're experiencing now is short term pain for a longer term gain of re ordering global economics where more manufacturing comes back to the US.
Speaker 7: Is that a how do you kind of view that?
Speaker 5: Look?
Speaker 8: So I find this astonishing that they have made a diagnosis that's not crazy, right, Like, the US probably should have a lot more manufacturing, both for economic and for national security reasons. That's something you'd find a consensus on across the political spectrum. Except every policy they've adopted is going to take us further away from that goal, not closer. Taxing, intermediate imports. Much of the stuff that the United States imports is things that are used as components in manufacturing. This is going to cripple American manufacturing. It's not going to help it.
Speaker 7: So how do you think this plays out here?
Speaker 4: I mean, at some point the economic pushback, whether it's inflation, whether it's slower economic.
Speaker 7: Growth, that's going to become an issue for people. How do you think that's going to play out.
Speaker 8: It is I'm Thorston's slock from Apollo yesterday or just set on emails, and he's predicting a four percent drop in US GDP this year with nonlinearities that could make it much worse, right, because that doesn't account for, say, supply chain collapses that are worse than anything we saw in COVID, which we're already starting to see the first lines up that's about the same size decrease in GDP is the two thousand and eight financial crisis with more potential on the downside than the arsen This administration is not insensitive political pressures. We just saw that back off with the tariffs, when the bond market clearly frightened even Donald Trump into saying we can't, we need to back off. But this is not primarily, from what I can tell, a set of economic policies. This is a cultural reorientation of the country, you know, a cultural revolution. Al Krugman said this morning, which a lot of people are starting to make a comparison. I'm not sure economics are going to be a driver in the short term.
Speaker 2: I Gotama Kundu with us here at Yale University, with wonderful books and the presidency. This is off your remit, but I got to ask Hannah Jang writing it up in Secondaries Investors, which is a wicked internal investment website.
Speaker 5: If you will. For like private credit, private equity, your.
Speaker 2: Yale is rumored from four sources to sell up to six billion of private equity portfolio. Harvard's been turned upside down fourteen. Oh, this was maybe Yale's out dodged a bullet so far. And I don't want you to speak for Yale on the unleashing of private equity, but I do want you to speak about your study of the silence of leverage that's out there. We're all walking around, Oh, we're not leveraged like eighty seven or ninety eight, really are we?
Speaker 8: So there's so much of the market that has become less and less transparent over time, right between private credit, sort of different things. I'm actually my greatest concern is we don't know. We don't know, right, Yeah, that the FED is going to try to make policy in the dark to an extent that is not like you know, it's not new, but it's not easy. At the same time that the President is putting enormous pressure on it, and threatening to fire the chairman of the FED. That's not a great combination.
Speaker 7: So where do you think we go over the next six to twelve months here?
Speaker 4: Is there a role for Congress to push back or do we just kind of sit back and say, let's see how these policies play out.
Speaker 8: I mean, of course there's a role for Congress, sure that I see them taking it, partly because of jerry mandering, partly because the Senate is such a favorable terrain for the Republicans in this midterm that a lot of the Republican senators are going to say, hey, I'm fine, my only challenge is from the right. That being said, if we really take a two thousand and eight style downturn or worse as was in the offing a couple of weeks ago, Republicans are going to be worried. They're going to see something that looks a lot like nineteen thirty two, right where essentially a Republican power was wiped out for a generation. And at that point the party may respond, it's just my fears it'll be too late.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of portraits in the Oval Office right now, which is the most important presidential portrait for President Trump, is it Andrew Jackson or someone else I'm missing, so.
Speaker 8: It used to be Andrew Jackson. I don't think he put the portrait up. But he has somehow become obsessed with William McKinley, who he believes that McKinley's tariffs made the United States more prosperous than it's ever been. He says this over and over again. It's I genuinely think he's like, maybe only secure policy belief is the value tariffs, but just not that that McKinley's tariffs. Any economists will tell you we're not a success. They were a disaster.
Speaker 5: And he renigged on him.
Speaker 2: He renigged maybe two harsh folks, but President McKinley reversed.
Speaker 8: I believe McKinley was, however, was a more much more traditional Republican. He was an establishment Republican. He was backed by the reproblem of establishment. Mark Hannah, the call Rove of his generation, was the sort of the.
Speaker 5: Power fact to you.
Speaker 8: He was the power factor by.
Speaker 5: Lane and Ma and all that.
Speaker 2: Trump is not like, yeah, I got I got one minute left here. But one day I woke up, folks in my ute, and I realized I had no clue about late nineteenth century America. It was unspoken. My grandparents would talk about it. I grew up in a really strange house, so I read the two volume Allan Nevins. Yeah, on Grover Cleveland, Alexander. I always say that nobody in the modern day gets what I'm doing anyways from Glover clear, I mean it was all party politics.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of similarities between a political system now and back then, isn't there there are?
Speaker 8: And the American political system does not function well when it is evenly split like that is a rule of American politics that goes back right to the beginning that we forget all the time. What we have when we have a well functioning government is a dominant party and a subordinate party, and usually that goes for a generation or two at a time. If the downturn right now, Republicans have the power. But if this collapse, if we get a collapse, we.
Speaker 2: Could keep this a four hour conversation. I got thirty seconds wearing God's name. Are the Democrats if they took forty nine percent of the.
Speaker 8: Vote, struggling emerging and I think coming out of their shock. Corey Booker's twenty five hour marathon. When he did it, you know I was, we were all very.
Speaker 5: Skeptical for twenty of your lectures. That Yeah, he got.
Speaker 8: Three hundred and fifty million likes on TikTok, three hundred and fifty million. I think we're still they are starting to understand this new social media environment, and maybe some players are starting to get their subtraction.
Speaker 2: Never enough time got him, Thank you so much got him a Kunda. Can't say enough about his efforts here with the Yale School, and of course picking presidents is the book.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Apple Corplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty tru Menus.
Speaker 2: With us with met Life here this morning, as we pick up the pieces with a challenging market, I'm just going to cut to the chase. You got the best title of a note. I've seen trade war as hell. And there we were at seven pm last night watching gold out over thirty four hundred dollar weakness bring that back to the vanilla Barbell's sixty forty portfolio. Or are they separate from how you would look money out three years?
Speaker 9: I mean, they're not separate.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: One of the things I've always looked at is the relationship between gold and the behavior of financial assets, and when people are moving towards gold, it's a sign that they've lost faith in something. Right, We're not really sure what, you know. Typically I'd always looked at that as a measure of FED credibility, but this could just be a policy credibility story. And it's pretty clear that the policy credibility story is beginning to weaken and that's creating problems. And with the rollback in those tariffs we saw last week, you know, we actually moved to a recession call when the tariffs were put in place. We waited until that Wednesday for them to actually be put in place because we figured he could pull back before then. But you know, once he put him in place, the damage was done. By the time two o'clock in the afternoon rolled around, they and they pulled them back. You know, Equity markets have been down sharply, the wealth effect has been crippled, and upper income consumers are the ones you have to watch going forward now, and my guesses are going to pull back and start saving a little more for a rainy day.
Speaker 4: How much damage does just the discussion of tariffs in the back and forth and back and forth.
Speaker 7: How much real economic damage has that done? Well, we see that in significantly lower GDP numbers going forward.
Speaker 5: Do you think.
Speaker 9: I think you'll see it because it hit the equity market so hard, you know, in terms of actually you know, the terriffs themselves. I think you know, as long as there is a tariff policy put in place and companies can figure out how they have to adapt to it, it's when it keeps changing, right, And so it's a matter of you know, you can't adapt to something that's constantly changing. And if you can't adapt because something is constantly changing, you're just going to wait to figure out where to put your money.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 9: So there's two reasons you wait to put your money. One is there's no time value to money, right, So zero interest rates. That's why zero interest rates are bad. And now we have you can have the best idea in the world and you put it in place, and you put the money up to do it and then there's a policy pronouncement that completely makes it an irrational decision that you've just made and spend a lot of money on. So the smart thing to do then is just not to spend the money.
Speaker 7: What's your recession call these days?
Speaker 9: So we're sixty percent that we're going to have a recession that looks like ninety ninety one.
Speaker 7: So ninety ninety one that wasn't very fun. No, it wasn't very fun.
Speaker 9: But you know, there was a shock, right, We had a new World order shock right where we thought kind of, oh, there's no wars that are going to be fought, and all of a sudden there was a war, and it was a big war, and there was a price shock attached to it, so kind of like the tariff shock.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: The difference this time around, though, is it's not really clear how you retreat from that. Right in ninety ninety one, once it was clear that the Allies were going to win the war, it was very obvious what was going to happen, and then people could move on and kind of begin to kind of invest again. This time around, it might you know, the faith might be damaged a little more and it might take a little longer to get out.
Speaker 7: Of so a procession risk at sixty percent, where was that, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Three or four months ago, we were at thirty when the initial tariff talk started. We went to forty. We went up to seventy five when you know when we made our recession call, and then they pulled tariffs back and that obviously took the risk down a little bit, but we still think the damage has been done.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety, yeah, that's the year that the Red Sox waved.
Speaker 5: Jim Rice is right, it's like.
Speaker 7: The worst thing ever red Lynd Jim Rice.
Speaker 2: The Red Sox in nineteen ninety set a record for most double plays in a season.
Speaker 7: Hitting into double plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we're I mean, Mayna said he'd only come out on Patriots States.
Speaker 5: So we'll do.
Speaker 9: The minor leagues are tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they sent Buckner down to them, the minor leagues in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's difficult to.
Speaker 2: Say the least. Okay, this is all great, but the bottom line is, I don't get Catharsis, I don't get panic. Everything's waiting for a policy maturity at the White House.
Speaker 5: I don't want you to predict that.
Speaker 2: But that's one outcome, right that they go, oh, Gilda Radner economy, Gilda Radner trade.
Speaker 5: Wark, Oh never mind, that's out there, Drew.
Speaker 7: Isn't it.
Speaker 9: And that's the problem. Once again. You can put any policy in place almost and people will figure out how to adapt to it. Right. There are a lot of smart people trying to figure these things out. They'll figure it out, but you can't figure out something that's constantly moving around. It's harder to hit a moving target than it is to hit a stationary target. And what Wall Street needs are stationary target.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you're an insurance company. Do you buy bonds? Is that the answer?
Speaker 9: You take a real hard look at what bonds you're buying and make sure that they are all weather bonds and bonds that can basically are unlikely to be hit by teriff implications, unlikely to see massive credit changes to those. But it becomes increasingly difficult because once again, you're never sure which one's going to actually go into place and how long it's going to last.
Speaker 5: For you didn't wear your surveillance bow tie today.
Speaker 9: I didn't wear my surveillance bow tie. But on my way in here, I noticed more people in suits wearing ties and begin to wonder what I'd like to see as a study about whether people who wear ties to work make better decisions.
Speaker 5: You were legendary ubs.
Speaker 2: You work for a guy named Maury Harris, and you guys would do these twelve and fourteen page reports, which we all hated because it was like ed Heim and stuff.
Speaker 5: You had to read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like you couldn't like read page one and you know, look smart. You had to actually read the thing, and buried on page seven or page nine was a maddest wisdom buried on page seven, page nine. Right now, where's your wisdom on the labor economy?
Speaker 9: Well, I think we were having labor problems before all the tariff noise. And the number I'm really paying the most attention to right now is the work week, which had been in kind of free fall for a long time, and it's just at a level that's not consistent with having all these people employed. And so you know, the solution to that obviously becomes, you know, once a firm has to figure out or make sure that they don't miss their earnings estimates. So the more volatile equities become, the more important it is for firms not the misser earnings targets. And when you're worried about missing your earnings targets, you worry about your expenses. And if you've got people working the shortest work week they've worked since the Great Financial Crisis, it's pretty obvious to figure out where those expense cuts are going to come from.
Speaker 7: So tie that into the consumer. How's the consumer doing out there? Is the consumer as.
Speaker 4: Concerned as the financial markets on my screen show over the last three or four months.
Speaker 9: I think the change is actually that we had lower income workers facing more and more strains, and you saw them straining to kind of save the holidays for their families, and we saw a big pickup in consumer credit, and then right after that we saw a big decline or a big increase in people saying they're not gonna be able to make their payment minimum payment in the next three months. I think the shock from the tariff story is going to really impact the wealth effect because for the wealth effect to work on the equity basis, it really needs to be a sustained equity market rally, or it needs to seem permanent, and it takes longer for that to seem permanent than other wealth effects like housing, because home prices don't tend to be as volatile, and so the disruption that we saw in equities from that is going to have long lasting effects in terms of people's willingness to spend money.
Speaker 7: So where do you think the FED fits in here?
Speaker 5: Real quick?
Speaker 9: Their job basically is to just stay out of the way. They can't actually cut rates because the data is not there, so they're gonna have to lag. They're gonna have to wait for unemployment to move noticeably higher before they can cut rates. With political cover.
Speaker 2: Drew, Thank you so much, Tremadus with us with Matt Lives today.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal.
Speaker 5: With our newspapers.
Speaker 2: This morning, future is negative seventy two, A bit of lightness, lead some a tale with the newspapers.
Speaker 7: What do you have, Let's do it.
Speaker 10: Let's talk about the Massa marathon. All right, so it's getting underway right this morning. It brings in a lot of business. Though, for like the local restaurants from Framingham to Brookline to the Boston Stretch, so some of them are actually opening early. So places like Eastern Standard a kitchen and drink breakfast Bloody Mary start pouring.
Speaker 7: At eight o'clock.
Speaker 3: Can't be that.
Speaker 10: That's of course not for the runners, but for the spectators want to get there early and have that.
Speaker 7: And then for the runners they have a lot.
Speaker 10: Of deals too, because after you're finished, you need something to eat, right, you gotta get your energy back in yes, carbs exactly. So you can get like a free cup of clam chowder, legal seafood. If you're a runner, you can get a twenty guinness. But you know what after a race, actually I did they gave you like I think it was like bud lighter cordsely. I don't even know, but they say having a beer after the race.
Speaker 2: You where you have the aluminum foil around you afterwards.
Speaker 10: I wore that proudly around. I would not. You could have a beer after it's actually very good for you. Okay, So we've talked about you know, there's talking about women getting cosmetic anti aging procedures.
Speaker 7: Well, interest face. You know, yes, invest in the face.
Speaker 10: But it's not just women. It's men really who are doing it too, So this is plastic surgeon spoke to Business Insider. He told them some of the most popular treatments. Okay, really are you ready for The first is actually the link to baldness. I'm not pointing anyone answer. You all have a beautiful out of hair here.
Speaker 5: You can't see.
Speaker 7: That folks exactly.
Speaker 10: But they're getting these platelet rich plasma injectables because they don't want the plugs anymore. So these are apparently a little bit less invasive, less expensive. Yes, the botox, so yes, you can get a couple of those injections. Men are getting more of those.
Speaker 4: But an on lift that No, no, that's not the one. The headline is breast reduction is more common than you think.
Speaker 10: All right, they well, you know you think about it, like when everyone's talking about weight loss drugs. No, they're just going for the straight on surgery can get down question.
Speaker 2: Of course, if you do repeat bowtox doesn't at some point not work.
Speaker 10: No, it keeps it stimuluated. Again, Yeah, you have to keep doing it, like every six months maybe or so.
Speaker 5: Someone has it you can tell, right.
Speaker 10: You can tell by the lines up here, like if they don't look surprised, if you don't seen any lines on the forehead, that's kind of a Telltickly, okay, quickly. So Wall Street Journal is talking about baseball's greatest hitters, right Babe, Ruth Lugaric, Joe Demajo, Mickey Mantle. But they're saying, who is on the way to become the next time? Yes, Aaron Judge six foot seven, ten season with the Trust fun he does no blue eyes. He celebrated his thousands MLB game by hitting his three hundred and twenty first home run, the exact number that Ruth had in one thousand games with the Yankees. So he's setting like all these records. But they're saying, the only thing that may keep him from heading that like highest echelon is kind of his age because most of those, you know, elite hitters were regulars by twenty one, but you know, Judge joined the Yankees at twenty four, so he has kind of a late start. But he's catching up, Like, sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're watching it now.
Speaker 4: I bet they got to win a World Series with him in his prime and.
Speaker 5: He's got to show up and we're seeing through this weekend. I think it was the second base of magnificence.
Speaker 7: He's got a gun. You can watch a basis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really really quite good, is that it? Yes, thank you, Lisa, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: On some Monday newspapers needed over.
Speaker 5: We can greatly appreciate that.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday seven to ten am Easter and on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal