Speaker 1: This is he said a YADIHO with Eric Winter and Rosalind Fantev.
Speaker 2: Today we have a very fun guest. I'm so excited to chat with her. This is gonna be a lot of fun. Maury Fontanez. She is an entrepreneurial woman who has been really lifting up. She guides Fortune five hundred companies and c suite leaders, performers, and other public figures to navigate change, challenges, and growth in both their personal and professional lives. She has a new book coming out that we'll get to talk about. She has a podcast. She has so much going on. I need some help. Let's see what she can do for me in the short period of time. But I love chatting with people like this, so I'm excited to have her on. Let's go ahead and bring her in, Maury, As I said, I just introduced you as someone who's helping change and lift people up in all aspects of life. But you are an intuitive life and leadership coach. We have friends that work in the space of life coaching. I know a lot about that space, and some of them work with big companies as well, But I believe there's a big distinction working with a Fortune five hundred CEO or leader of a company versus someone like me who's going through my own personal stuff you know all the time. First, just talk to me a little bit about how you got into this space, because I've always found that fascinating, even with my friends that are in it. What drove you to pursue that as a career, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen.
Speaker 1: I always say that I don't have the traditional path into this kind of guidance and teaching because a lot of my work is actually fundamentally spiritual, right. It's about learning what your soul desires and following that truth. But I come from a background of crisis management for fortune one hundred CEOs and companies and public personalities in the entertainment industry. So basically I was the person running into the fire that people had created that they were.
Speaker 3: Running out of.
Speaker 1: And I spent twenty years doing this, writing messages for people to say to re earn the trust they had lost in whatever public scandal had happened. And I did this, and I did it well, and I continue to grow in that space until I hit a point where honestly, I kind of had my own crisis internally, which was what am I doing Why am I writing a bunch of words that people are saying that they don't believe.
Speaker 3: And more importantly, why do.
Speaker 1: They get into crisis to begin with? And that question became the north.
Speaker 3: Star for the rest of my life. And I started to pursue answering that question.
Speaker 1: And what I found was I do it because I'm deeply intuitive, and that means I know the answer to the problem. Why do I know it because I don't have fear in that moment, because it's not my crisis. What blocks us from our intuition is the fear. And so I set out to start coaching people to learn how to reclaim that inner wisdom so that they could avoid those moments, but also so that they could learn to.
Speaker 3: Trust themselves again.
Speaker 1: And I made a hard left and started a whole new career from there.
Speaker 2: It makes it makes sense, and I feel, you know, it's interesting about what you do right, because it is. I truly believe it's a gift when someone can tap into that and know that what their intuition, what their gut is saying, can really help somebody if they take it to heart and they apply it. And I'm assuming because you said yourself like you have your own fires you deal with right, And I don't know, do you ever work with your own life coach as well? Because I have a lot of life coaches. I know work with life coaches too. Oh yeah, I has you need someone from the outside the hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I have mentors, I have healers, I have somatic coaches. I you know, I believe in, you know, the Eastern medicine kind of way of multiple modalities all at once and ofsing of addressing us as humans as an energy system. So I work with all kinds of teachers of guides, but also I follow my own method. Like I tell my clients, I would never ask you to do something I either haven't done or I'm not in the process of doing right now, because I believe that Guru's guides teachers are not meant to be up ahead of us, They're meant to be walking next to us. So I'm doing the work alongside people of healing my little self, of tapping into my higher self one hundred times a day. And I really teach from that embodied state of working on myself constantly.
Speaker 2: I mean, and that makes sense and it's great to hear as well, because a lot of times when someone goes to help you, you're like, wait, but do you actually practice what you preach? You know what I mean? And do you apply it? Because it's so easy to sit on the end. Not easy, but it's there's an ability to sit on the outside and guide people but not follow your own words of wisdom. And I even will debate my wife about this sometimes I'm like me, all kinds of advice, but do you take your own advice?
Speaker 1: Sometimes yeah, And it's hard to take their advice when you feel like, oh, well, you're not taking the risk of doing the courageous thing, and like, don't you feel eric like you could tell when you're with someone a guide, a teacher, or a healer, a therapist, and you're just like, ooh, it feels like you're saying things you don't actually like take in cellularly, like can't totally yea.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a couple of topics that my producers are brought up that I found fascinating. One of them right away that struck a chord was especially in my business, is validation addiction. Something that I know you've tapped into and spoke a lot about share with our listeners. A little bit about your definition of that, and then I want to talk to you about my thoughts and get into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd love to hear your thoughts, so listen. We all, as human beings, rely on validation from a very early age. Why because we learn very young that we need the acceptance of those around us to survive. So validation becomes a survival stratch. At a very early age, we are learning. We're watching what is it that I do that makes Dad smile? What is it that I do that makes mom a little less stressed out or she seems like she's worried about something, And we quickly learn to embody those things so that we can get that attention, because we need their attention to survive. Where that validation, which is very human, turns into an addiction is when we enter a world that says you need my approval to have value. We are not conditioned to stop and ask what is your value? What do you believe? What do you want? What do you think? We're conditioned to ask what does the other person think? Where is the advice outside of myself? So we externalize our wisdom. We have been taught that looking for wisdom externally is the smartest.
Speaker 3: Thing to do.
Speaker 1: When we believe that illusion, what we do is we start to look outward instantly, what do you think? Do you think this thing I did was valuable? Do you think I'm valuable? Then you add social media on top of this, all right, you know rich foundation of looking outside, and now we have a society that says, oh, guess what I can measure how valuable you are by other people's interactions with you. And so we've become addicted to validation as a form of checking in on our value. And that is where it is deeply dangerous, because when we rely on others to tell us whether we're valuable, those others are full of their own trauma and fear and limiting beliefs. So I say, it's like looking in a foggy mirror expecting to see a clear reflection, and you never will.
Speaker 2: You could probably have a full career just doing this for actors, because the truth is, I do you have to work with any other company in the world. You could just focus on actors, because yeah, actually I'm just actors, just creatives. The funny thing about the creatives, and I try to explain this people all the time, is that we are in a business where you're you have no choice but to be told you're valuable by somebody else until you're creating your own opportunity. Right, So to get a job, I have to audition and be told I'm good enough or I'm right for this part. And that's just the job. As soon as you can let that value, that sort of addiction to hearing that validation go away, and you can separate it and go no, I'm valuable regardless of what you're going to say. This is my take, this is my opinion, this is my version of the character. So you're not judging me based on my value. You're just judging me if you if you, if our visions align right for this role. And I laugh a lot when I tell actors, even my my daughter plays competitive junior tennis, and athletes in general. I talk about, you know, some of the most difficult professions in the world. I think are creative because as an athlete, your value is very much measurable. It's like you scored forty points in a game in basketball, you did well, like no one has to tell you did well. It's right there on the page, you know. Whereas if you're a creative. It's all subjective. So whether you have value in this business or you don't have value, it's somebody else's opinion. Whether you win the oscar, don't win the oscar, you know, whatever the case may be. Then, like you said, you throw social media in the mix, which entertainers live on in general, which to me is just quicksand for the emotional, for an emotional already an emotional person, I constantly find myself talking to people about this all the time, not trying to help them, but just going you're in the wrong business. And until you realize your value is not dependent on somebody else in this space, you can't really survive in our business.
Speaker 3: Would not agree with you more.
Speaker 1: And I would just add one fine point on it, which is that word value, even an athlete, tying your value to what you produce is part of the toxicity of our whole culture. You are your career, you know the amount of money you can command, sure, absolutely, But the minute that we believe that our value as a being has to do with what we produce, all of a sudden, we're a human doing, not a human being.
Speaker 3: So that work around value is so important.
Speaker 1: And I will say I have the opportunity to sit across a zoom in a session with people I grew up watching in the movies and coaching them now, and sometimes I have to think, like, wow, okay, this is the direction your life took you Why? And it's because my message is one of listen. You're a storyteller. The way you tell your story as a creative is not always going to align with however someone has a vision for a story. But it does not mean you hold less value. That's where you can break the addiction right there.
Speaker 2: It's funny I trying to even relate this to sports, and you made it very clear which was which was valid. And I've said this to my daughter and again, like competitive tennis for a young kid is brutal, Like it's a really tough support. There's no there are no referees. You're in an individual sport. You're on this island by yourself. You're you're constantly having to produce and work and work and work, and it's just never ending. It's it's like a you see it in a pro circuit, right, It's just a year round sport. And I try to explain to her, Sabella, it's you got to stop putting tennis as your identity. It doesn't define who you are. But also you don't. It sounds crazy to say it, but I'm like, I don't really care if you win or you lose. And like the quote of Kobe Bryant would say, look, if you win, great, you have to get up and do it all over again the next day. If you lose, great, you got to get up and do it all over again the next day. So there's not like it doesn't define you your value because you want a tournament. It doesn't define you because you did X, Y and z on the court. To me, what matters are the life lessons, Right, did you get better? Did you work your hardest? Did you try? Those are things that to me, and I hate to say put value on it, but it's like, that's what you need to be worrying about. Yeah, because those are things you can control that make you a stronger person.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And were you proud of yourself?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I really try to focus on with my kids so I can break them of this validation addiction is not even ever since they were little. It was like I would stop myself from saying I'm proud of you. First, I'd start with are you proud of yourself?
Speaker 3: Yes? Why because I did X, Y and Z.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm proud of you too, But like, let me start by reminding you you need to be proud of yourself, not anybody else.
Speaker 2: I like that. I'm actually going to take that, take that advice right there and use it with her and my son. You know, he's young playing soccer or young still, but everybody's always like, you know, did you score a goal today? I'm like, it's not about the goal It's about how did you play? Did you work hard? Did you run?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And did you hustle? You can make the greatest sit There's a number of things. Yeah, And that's something that I think is very important to shine a light on Are you proud of yourself? First? Because it doesn't matter if I'm proud if you're not proud of yourself.
Speaker 3: And as adults, we.
Speaker 1: Can ask ourselves that same question every day. You know, it didn't go the way I planned, But am I proud of myself right now? And if the answer is no, what part of me is not proud of myself?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, God, that whole thing that you like you let into and talked about with social media. That's where I feel like that's one of the biggest pitfalls is that people constantly post for approval. They're seeking attention. And I have to remind my wife about this a lot. And you know, if you're looking at comments from somebody and you love all the positive comments, you need to be accepting of the negative comments because you're going to get them. Yeah, they're not all going to be positive. So if you're looking for approval from somebody that says, I love you, this is so great, you look beautiful, whatever, you're gonna get somebody that's gonna throw something in negative. So you're better off just not even looking at it. To me, that's right, because you're seeking approval, you're seeking validation.
Speaker 1: And the positive I say this to you know, a lot of my performers that are really active on social like the positive and the negative are all projections.
Speaker 3: None of it is about you, none of it.
Speaker 1: The great stuff is a projection of what the person desires to be, wants to aspire to the way they're idolizing you. The negative stuff is a reflection of their shame and their self hatred and their envy. None of it is about you, Like you can't take any of it personally because we are all and I mean this in the kindest way, self centered beings, meaning that our experience on this planet revolves around our experience on this planet, which means that that's what we project out at each other constantly. Especially then if we're looking at a famous person that we've been taught to idolize, then we're projecting all that internal noise on them. So you're just a screen for whatever movie they're playing in their own mind about themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, makes sense. Another topic I want to get your definition on because I find it interesting is the burnout crisis. Yeah, talking about why people are disengaging in how to reconnect authentically. Talk to me about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it goes back to this idea of in our culture and many cultures, that our value is measured by what we produce. If you buy into that, if you buy into that as a truth, you are on your way to burnout just from that belief system, because you are constantly trying to prove that you matter, that you should be taking up space by producing, and there by the way is never going to be enough producing. I'll take myself for example, I had a dream of writing a book with a major publisher.
Speaker 3: Guess what I did that.
Speaker 4: Guess what I want more?
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 1: Now achieve more because I, myself, a teacher of these truths, has bought into the fact that the more I achieve, the more I can show my value. Now the work for me is to reframe it around purpose. No, the more you achieve, the more impact you have, which allows me to go back into a place of this isn't about other people liking what I'm doing. It's about helping. It's about doing the part I'm meant to do. So I think that if you don't connect what you're constantly doing to your purpose, the reason you're embodied on this planet in this moment in history right now, with the skills you have, with the desires that are naturally within you, then you are going to burn yourself out because you're running around doing things without any north star whatsoever.
Speaker 2: That brings so true to me in my own personal life and also just again, I go back to my kid with her sport, because it's you. Burn Out is so big in youth sports in general, and I think there is that constant need to prove, prove and if you're not getting it, if you didn't win this thing, you're not good enough. And if you're not good enough, why am I doing it? And then you put all these hours in and eventually you're just like, I hate it. You want out. And I've talked about it briefly on the podcast before, but it happened to me in acting early on, and I shifted the way I thought. Early on, it was like any little thing I got was never enough. It's like, why I didn't get that series regular? I didn't get that part, And eventually I did. I burnt out. I quit. I stopped acting for almost two years, and I came back with a sort of a new mindset of like, I just want to be happy. I don't I want to celebrate each victory. If I got this job, great, it was good because you're right. And I've preached this to my wife and to friends, and I don't claim that I do it perfectly, but you're, like you said it, You're always going to want something more. Right. You see people all the time, they win the Oscar, the biggest accolade you could get as a movie star, and they're still miserable. Yeah, and they don't even work as much. Sometimes some do, some don't. And they're and they're they're always still seeking whether their personal life is crashing, something is not right, Like they're just not happy in the moment they got that one thing they wanted, it didn't fulfill them. Yeah, and I say that, you know, I've said it to my wife, Like I said, and you gotta appreciate every little step along the way in order to really be happy with where you're at and not constantly chasing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's.
Speaker 1: Hard to appreciate it when you don't know what it's for the sake of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So one purpose, like one.
Speaker 1: Exercise I give my creatives, my artists is or everyone even the CEO is like, I want you to have a for the sake of statement?
Speaker 3: What is this for the sake of?
Speaker 1: So? For example, my greatest value at all is freedom. I exist for freedom, my own freedom and the freedom of everyone that my work touches. So for the sake of is this is for the sake of freedom? When I use that frame, everything I do has to fit in that bucket. If it's not providing freedom for me, my family, my followers, my clients.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to do that thing.
Speaker 1: So find your reason why, like your big reason why, and your clue is what do you value most? What is the thing you know that your soul values the most. That is the connection to your purpose. And when you can map everything back to why am I doing this, then it's easier to appreciate it in the moment.
Speaker 2: That you know. That's great. That's a great way of phrasing. At night, I think subconsciously, I've even thought about stuff like that, because there's been jobs I've taken and I'm like, why am I taking this job? Like this is strictly a money job, and then I go back and I go but wait, my priority has always been my family, my kids, providing, you know, being there for them. And if it's a job that keeps me a Los Angeles, I'll take less money. If it's a job that is just gonna make money to buy me more time to find something else that creatively stimulates me, I'll go do it with a smile because I know I'm doing it for the money to go back to the purpose I have, which is my family. A lot of people will do it and be like, I hate this job. I'm on this job every day. I did it for the money. I'm miserable.
Speaker 3: That's that's exactly what I mean.
Speaker 1: You have your eye on the north star, so you can find appreciation. Because here's the thing. We can get into victim mode. This is how we humans are, Like, this is happening to me. Guess what my loves. You are making it happen. Everything that is happening you have made happen, either from the consciousness of total belief in yourself and dignity and purpose, or from the consciousness of lack and fear and shame. But whichever one you pick, is the world that you're creating around you. It's not happening to you. You've made it happen.
Speaker 2: I already know I'm gonna probably have to hire you to talk to my kid, to my daughter, and my wife. I wish she was here for this podcast. She would have learned that she might have learned I was right about a couple of things. But that would be bad too.
Speaker 4: Oh so you want to you like, let me ask you that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great segue actually into another one of the topics, which is advice on love and relationships. To create your most high frequency relationship, to build on each other, talk to me about that.
Speaker 3: So think about what we just talked about around validation.
Speaker 1: When we don't know that, we externalize our value when we don't like stop to think about it. We also then mistake validation for love for loving intimate relationships. I think that often we go into or I did at least in my first marriage and my relationships prior to that. We go into relationships looking for the other person to fill that black hole inside us that we have around questions of our own validity, lovability value, Like we think that if someone else just loves us enough, that that hole will be filled. And the reality is actually intimacy and romance and loving relationships are about you being your highest frequency and coexisting along someone that is at their highest frequency, so that you are like building each other up constantly from a place of totally being resourced. Does that make sense? So are under resourced? Eric, And I'm pouring all of my life force into you. Guess what, I'm now under resourced. So now I'm not adding to the collective life force. I've taken mine away to give it to you so that you can give me love in return. That is not That is not the point.
Speaker 3: The point is.
Speaker 1: How do I be at my most resourced self, which I call is your higher self, my most dignified sense of I know I hold value, and I'm also going to listen to the wisdom inside me first and foremost.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to hand it over to you, my partner.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep following my own north star, and I'm going to find a partner who is good with that, who wants that for me, and who is doing that for themselves, which creates a fiercely independent relationship, but in a way where you're actually there to cheerlead and celebrate one another and have really honest conversations with each other. When you feel like one of you is holding the other back from embodying this highest frequency, which we are afraid to do because we haven't been taught to have that kind of dialogue with our partners.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like I've been in that situation, especially in my past marriage. Funny enough as well, where maybe you're holding the person back and ultimately you're afraid to lose them, right, Like you're afraid to let them fly instead of trying to find ways you can elevate yourself while elevating them. Am I right?
Speaker 3: And why are you afraid to lose them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a great question to ask. I think, you know, sometimes maybe you devalue yourself or you devalue a situation, you know what I mean. And I think that's something you know. In my marriage now with Rozen, we've been together for nineteen years, but in our relationship we've always found a way to lift each other and support each other's careers. It's never felt competitive. Yeah, it's always been you do that, I'll do this, we'll we'll figure it out. You have to have real conversations at times, like is it good for the family, is it good for everybody? Does this work for our lives? Not to hold you back, but if you're gonna do this, this can a stress like the we you know, the ebbs and flows of it. But I think always with the intention of if it's going to make you happy, I will do my best to find a way to make it work for you. Right, it works for me too, you know what I mean, Like, it'll compromise in your own self exactly.
Speaker 1: And you know, my hypothesis is that we're afraid to lose them because we've put our value, our value into them, so we think that if they go, there goes our value. And that is how I operated in my first marriage, where it was so holding on so tightly to like, please stay or please do what I need to feel loved so I can love myself.
Speaker 3: The minute I realized, oh my god, I.
Speaker 1: Don't need you for that, my entire relationship with relationships changed to the point where I'm remarried now and in our vows my current husband I said to each other, I exist to allow you to embody your higher self, and the minute I get in your way, I need.
Speaker 3: To go away.
Speaker 2: I think you probably know many people, and I know I've never been fully like this, but I've had moments like this, and I know people that have been fully. You know, in this space where you become your partner, you morph yourself into the person you're dating, like, oh you like that, I like that. I'll figure out how to like what you like. I will become you. And that ultimately is a dying relationship. It's never going to be sustained because as soon as either that, one person's gonna find you too smothering, like who are you? What's your identity? You're literally just doing everything I do, and it's too cumbersome like it. It's closing me out right, or you will eventually come wake up and go, I don't even know who I am. I'm literally you. I'm just doing everything to be for you. I don't even have an identity. And I know a lot of people who have done that in the past, and you can just see it. You always like you're like the one friend. You're like, oh, we lost that friend during this relationship because they're not gonna have any identity like that. They're gonna go live with that person, yeah forever and just be that person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's the little people please are inside you.
Speaker 1: That same little six year old that came up with that strategy to please people to get love is still at the steering wheel in an adult grown relationship and is replaying that same strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is all great stuff. And I know, let's talk a little bit about what you have coming up. And I also know you have a podcast, but you have a book that's coming out. Correct, Let's talk about that higher self that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, higher self, reclaiming the power of your intuition. It is really this blend of my method in a book, blended with my memoir and my life story, because I really mean when I say I'm walking alongside you.
Speaker 3: So I want to show you how I did the things that I tell you to do.
Speaker 1: And then some of the case studies of some of the more like brilliant, amazing people that I've gotten to coach and how they've been transformed. And really the book is written as a love letter from your higher self to you. So it's written about you, the reader, and I talk you through your childhood and where you may have found some of these limiting beliefs and these coping strategies, and I show you how to let them go so that you can make room. And at the end, really I reintroduce you to who is your higher self? And how would you be if you embodied your most dignified, your most centered, and your most intuitive self at all times? What would your life look like? What kind of decisions would you make? What kind of beliefs would you hold? And really, I hope that by the end of the book, I set you off into the world like really emanate that self.
Speaker 2: I love it sounds like a mandatory read if you're ask me. And this is out now, so everybody can jump on this right away. Exactly, and then you have a podcast signal with Maury and Melissa. Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a podcast where we have this kind of dialogue. It's me and my best friend and she's really there. You know, I can get really metaphysical and start talking about like huge concepts. Melissa is like, you know, your average everyday person who's so hilarious, and she's just there to like ask questions that the cynic would have or be like, wait a minute, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Break it relatable? Yeah, you'll lost me a whole lot totally.
Speaker 3: So we have a lot of fun and we talked to a lot of great people.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. So everybody can check that out anywhere you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Anybody listen to podcasts and high yourself anywhere you would buy your books.
Speaker 2: I love it. Thank you so much for coming on the podcast. This has been great. I mean it when I say I might hire you to talk.
Speaker 4: To my daughter, let's do it.
Speaker 2: I'm in She'll get a lot out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your time, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: It was so nice to talk with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. All right, Well, I think we all definitely learned something from Maury without a question I did. I really wish Roslyn would have been here, because I'm telling you I would have been said I was right on a couple of my thoughts. But if she listens to this podcast, you'll know I said that. Otherwise, maybe she'll never know that I said I was right. Thank you again for listening, and if you have any questions you know, please send them in to Eric Androz at iHeartRadio dot com or go to he said at the on Instagram and drop us a DM with any questions. Until next time. Thanks for listening. Don't forget to write us a review and tell us what you think.
Speaker 5: If you want to follow us on Instagram, check us out at e said ajav or sens an email Eric and Ross at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 5: AJAB is part of iHeartRadio's Miculduda podcast network.
Speaker 2: See you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye,