Speaker 1: When Vicenta Fernandez was just a young boy, he wanted to grow up to be just like Vedin Fante.
Speaker 2: By the time he had made his dreams happen, he was the father of three boys. Eldest boy descenta junior middle child, Carrado, and little Alejandro.
Speaker 1: And all of them wanted to grow up to be just like their dad, the undisputed king of rancherra music and a mainstay of the silver screen.
Speaker 2: Easy to see why these apples didn't want to get too far from the tree.
Speaker 1: In true cowboy fashion, Vicenta Fernandez calls his son Los Potrios the three Cults, and when he was just five years old, the youngest colt, Alejandro, was already off to the races.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy six, Cent brought Alejandro to a special taping of Sian Bren Domingo in San Antonio, Texas.
Speaker 1: Little ali Is saying in front of an audience for the very first time, debted out in the crisp boy chatto suit with a classic sombrero and ukays it's a doors like Tell me this did not send me running to downtown La to secure a chatto suit for my tiny song, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, yes, yes, he has to be a chato, but also like totally, you guys know, seriously, he looks so social adorbs.
Speaker 1: It was clear that the littlest Potrio had inherited his father's very big voice, but he was only five. His nerves took over as he froze mid song.
Speaker 2: Girl, I have PTSD from giving an oral presentation about dinosaurs in the third grade.
Speaker 3: Like, I do not blame him.
Speaker 1: Lucky for little Tent that was there to run on stage and help him with a verse, and after calming down some we sent his youngest finished out the song.
Speaker 2: I'd bet my presentation would have gone fine if I had a parent in there to jump.
Speaker 1: Like that one thousand percent. And you know what, Joseph, your scars are what make you you? Anyway, Tent was love for his sons went beyond supporting their musical careers. In nineteen eighty, Bernandez bought over one thousand acres of land in Guadalajara and established Rancho Lostres Portrios, a sprawling ranch named for his kids.
Speaker 2: Y'all, graceland achiz on this place. It's got its own rodeo arena for international contests. A guitar shaped swimming pool, a bandshell.
Speaker 1: Wait, is this available to rent on Airbnb? We are going we should look, I'm looking right now?
Speaker 3: Hold please just kidding.
Speaker 1: Plus, in addition to all of that, there are stables for animals, because duh, it's a ranch and all in all, not a bad place to spend the better part of your childhood or to foster a dynasty.
Speaker 2: But it was about to get real crowded back at the ranch, pain.
Speaker 1: Because outside the ranch, Vicente Fernandez was.
Speaker 3: How can I put this?
Speaker 1: Staying busy, I'm your host, Lilianabosquez.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joseph Carrio and this is Becoming an Icon a.
Speaker 1: Weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous latinv stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 3: And given the world some extra level.
Speaker 1: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 2: Because we are going in the only way we know how, with buenos vida, a.
Speaker 1: Buenas risas and a lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic. In nineteen seventy six, we sent pe Fernandez was invited to perform at the twenty fourth annual Senorita Mexico beauty pageant. It was this year's pageant that Patrisa Rivera, a young woman from Guawila, shout at Guahila, that's where my family is first introduce ourself in the world of entertainment.
Speaker 2: And it was at this pageant that Chene introduced himself to Patricia, probably in the full Chao suit. They wouldn't meet again until the next year, on the set of the film El Aracas.
Speaker 1: This movie was an action western starring Fernandez as a man seeking revenge for the murder of his father, featuring Rivera as a mysterious woman caught up in his quest, and this second meeting would lead to their now notorious affair.
Speaker 2: An affair that started the very same year that little Portrio Alejandro saying on Sian Brendomingo, I got to point that out.
Speaker 1: Yes, we stay very clean with the facts. Here we give you all of the deeds right now. It is said that Fernandez's friend Felippe Ariaga supported their relationship by lending them a luxury apartment in his own name, giving Fernandez a totally off the books casita. By the way, I need better friends like my friends are not giving me condos why are you not supporting me?
Speaker 3: Not in my affair.
Speaker 1: I let's be very clear, I am happily married, But why do my friends not show up for me like this?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm gonna say? Though I was going to say that I know you would show up for me.
Speaker 1: Like I'm tired of giving the besitas. Somebody give me a damnus true.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: The Rivera Fernandez affair would go on for a full ten years, and throughout those ten years, Patricia was on Fernandez's.
Speaker 1: Schedule, which included world tours, recording promotions, not to mention film shoots.
Speaker 2: Despite having an acting career of her own, and sneaking in visits where she could ended up costing her opportunities.
Speaker 1: All the while, Fernandez's wife, Kukita knew nothing until nineteen eighty seven, in the lead up to Be sent It and Takit twenty fifth wedding Annie, the couple learned that the Scent had had a child out of wedlock, Rodrigo the fourth Potrio.
Speaker 2: El Potrio o scuro. Some telling Nanny's about to go down in honey.
Speaker 1: Luckily for Rodrigo and his half brothers, not so much, not yet anyway, I should say, because Couquita made a lemonade out of lemons and accepted Rodrigo.
Speaker 3: Into the family.
Speaker 1: Wait stop, and even welcome Patricia into the ranch like a.
Speaker 3: Fucking sister wife.
Speaker 2: Damn did don't call Hernqa for nothing like what made her such a saint?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this wasn't the first unexpected edition to be sent in Gouquita's family, because a couple of years earlier, in nineteen eighty four, Gouquita's sister had arrived at the ranch on Gouquita's birthday.
Speaker 3: Not oh my god, what are you going to tell me?
Speaker 1: Caring hold on carrying a newborn baby girl and just left her there in her sister and brother in law's care. Gougita played with her niece until she was sleepy enough to put her down in the crib, and with that Gouquita decide to accept full responsibility for little Alexandra.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, is the name of the song Alejandro sang on sian Brendo mingo.
Speaker 1: That is wild and child wild. So Vicente and Kurita raised Alejandra as though she were their own child. Alejandra came to believe that Gloria her mother was actually her thea and wouldn't learn the truth for years, and Gloria was just like, okay, cool. No, there was one minute where Gloria changed her mind and took Alejandra back, but it naturally caused her daughter so much distress that Gloria decided it would be best for her to live on the ranch.
Speaker 2: Bitch, I would cry too if I couldn't swim in that guitar or anymore, like it would be over.
Speaker 1: Can we also discuss that Segnoras of that era were made a fucking steal? Yeah, because their ability to put up with trash men and raise the family and still turn up every day like a loyal, loving wife, Like that is some shit. I will never understand that entire generation of Latina women, specifically Mexican women. I'm telling you, they're like they're built of something else.
Speaker 3: I have no comment. Then you're absolutely right, Listen. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's a combination of my life is too good and I don't want it to change, okay, and what will I do without him?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like we have evolved, thank God, so much. Like I heard someone call that type of life a gilded cage. And that's exactly what it was. And I think for so many women in that position of privilege that was acquired through their husbands, that is a gilded cage. Like that shit's gold. You got a guitar, ship, swimming pool, but it's lonely.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, But I'm going to say this so like, but for her to accept this baby, like what if someone showed up at your house.
Speaker 1: Well, hold on the baby. I understand that's her sister's baby. Like if my brother came to me, it was like in distress and like I can't take care of this baby, and you're like, that's different. I think accepting a child that belongs to your sibling is different accepting the child of your husband's other woman girl and her at her No, no, no, no, I'm telling you I'm not built for that life.
Speaker 4: I'm not built for that life.
Speaker 1: These senoras don't fuck with these senoras. There are another species. True, rightly or wrongly, under Kuquita's eye, the children were grow up happy and healthy, paving the way for a sparkling new dynasty. Despite all the dramlin is personal life. They've sent a fact noan of this train kept on chugging, and in the eighties it made some of its most important stops.
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty three is can You Think.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty fours those and Ferdananda's biggest record of the decade nineteen eighty nine's for to malt More.
Speaker 1: Which was a tie into the nineteen eighty nine film of the same name. In it, we sent the plaza rancher who returns home from a long absence to find his beloved has married somebody else, thinking he wouldn't ever come back. Her husband attacks and he flees to the jungle who is writing these.
Speaker 2: Scripts, where Unachika, with some land to her name, takes him in. He gets engaged with her and makes some local macho's jealous. Then he has an affair with her sister, and the whole thing ultimately gets him killed.
Speaker 1: Here, what do you think some type casting happening in these groups?
Speaker 2: I think, like, I really can't even deal with whatever the fuck that was.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: You know what, It's an interesting companion to the film that would follow two years later, Mika Rido Yeho, because here we sent the plays a singer who falls in love with a journalist. They eventually marry and have a son, and that son.
Speaker 2: Is played by Alejandro Fernandez, the Littlest Potrio, who keeped off this episode and was about.
Speaker 3: Twenty by the time the movie came out.
Speaker 1: Things get rocky for the singer and the journalist. His commitments become too much for her, and they divorce. The journalist, feeling wrong, teaches their son to despise his father, But as the years go on, Rodrigo, I mean, wait, wait, I know the singer and the journalist's son realizes that his mother was in the wrong all along and that he actually does love his father. I need to check in with you, Joseph. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Literally, If this isn't about Patricia and the Rodrigo, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Is straight slanderous?
Speaker 3: Do you think that he wrote this? Do you think that, like, how is this possible? Oh? God?
Speaker 1: Because he was in a position of power and all of the executives at the studio were Mexican men, Like I mean, hello, why do we think we have all of these movies that never reflect a female narrative or a female protagonist.
Speaker 3: Because men make the movies.
Speaker 1: This is why it's important to have people in the room that represent other p ovs.
Speaker 3: I love that there you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: And honestly, whatever audiences saw in the story when they watched it in theaters, the song they heard as the story concluded with Alejandro singing to an aging Vicente Fernandez was an instant classic.
Speaker 2: Miki l Yako is a mega tear jerker for anyone with a close relationship to an aging father.
Speaker 1: And in Mexico these days, it's the song you throw on at the family gathering to remember somebody you've lost. Not like Coco style though, no like not like that, but you know, when you're thinking about your here yajito, that's what you put on. But apart from all of that, it was also the song that kicked off Alejandro Fernandez's career.
Speaker 2: In earnest, the same Botrillo who froze on stage at age five in a white chadle suit, was all grown up and ready to sell records.
Speaker 1: His self titled debut Sanem on a tour through Mexico and a few cities in the US. Off the strengths of tracks like Mississito, vidarl Brumas and Eguiva Gadamente.
Speaker 2: Al quickly became a mainstay of ranchero music over the course of the nineties, and even ventured into pop later in his career. The Fernandez dynasty was now in full effect.
Speaker 1: And that meant there was a target on Alrancho Tres Potrios. By the late nineties, the Fernandez dynasty was in full effect and with its patriarchy sent there, receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the spot in Billboard Magazine's Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: But royalty can make you a target, and something unthinkable was about to happen.
Speaker 1: On May thirteenth, and nineteen ninety eight, we sent this eldest son. We sent the Junior was driving back to Rancho Dres Bortrios when out of nowhere, a group of trucks cut him off.
Speaker 2: Man rushed out of the truck carrying guns and demanded that we sent the junior get out.
Speaker 3: Of his car.
Speaker 2: He sent the junior ov obeyed and then was let at gunpoint into one of the trucks.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, we sent this senior was just a few hours away from taking the stage when he got a phone call. He picked up the phone and heard an unfamiliar voice tell him.
Speaker 3: We have your son.
Speaker 2: The kidnappers were cray and demanded a ransom of five million vessels, which with inflation would be like demanding eighteen point five million pessels today.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, Vicenta was printing money, but like not that kunt of money. Like he's not Bill Gates Jeff Bezos rich, nor.
Speaker 2: Could he chase after the bad guys on horseback with a the one hand like in his movies.
Speaker 1: No you didn't, No you didn't, just I did.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: So that left him with no choice but to negotiate. But first this g went ahead and performed the show, like what the.
Speaker 3: Show must go on.
Speaker 1: We need better parenting. Let's just be honest. I'm sorry. You can come for me all you want, like be a parent first and a performer second. Afterwards. Once he wrapped his show, negotiations took place over.
Speaker 3: Many days, then weeks, then months.
Speaker 1: The whole time, the family stayed tight lipped, saying nothing to the media out of concern for vicenta juniors of safety, like you didn't call the police.
Speaker 2: Tempa even kept doing concerts now wait listen, which the authorities wreckediately.
Speaker 3: To jail and immediately to jail.
Speaker 2: For your authorities recommended to keep things looking normal.
Speaker 3: So I totally get it, and I'll say it again. Listen, the show.
Speaker 1: Must go on, says are child free co hosts.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: But eventually the kidnappers decided that things just weren't moving fast enough. They decided to send a message, and that message.
Speaker 2: Was uh, chop chop, honey.
Speaker 1: No, but I know literally no, it's like like cut cut because they chopped off not one, but two of vicent It Junior's fingers, the pinky, not the fucking pinky, man pink, the pinky and the ring finger.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it looks like they're going from the least useful to the most.
Speaker 3: So clock is ticking.
Speaker 1: The sent This Senior a total of one hundred and twenty one days. During that time, the family negotiated, gathered money, and continued supporting vicent This Senior's live performances.
Speaker 3: I can't see it. I have good news. I have good news.
Speaker 2: Finally, they managed to scrounge a cool three point five million for the ransom. The cash was packed in a bag and thrown from an airplane into an open field in Nayai, the state neighboring Jalisco.
Speaker 3: The Fernandez homestate.
Speaker 1: You guys, you're listening to this going did they make this shit up? We did not make it up. I promised. This is not like an April Fool's Day episode. This is legit, sighted sourced, fact checked by our producers.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, days later, the family was getting ready for bed, just another normal night at his ranchel, when the phone rang. It was one of the kidnappers telling them to come to the front gate of the ranch.
Speaker 3: We sent.
Speaker 2: This senior ran out of the house to the gate and found his son standing there, totally disoriented, tired, and sporting a beard one hundred and twenty one days long.
Speaker 3: Tenth.
Speaker 1: They told interviewers. The first thing I said to him was, don't think for a moment that I didn't want to pay what they asked for. If they had asked for my life, I would have given it.
Speaker 2: Whatever lies Okay to even called a doctor in the family to see if he could transplant his own fingers onto his son's hand.
Speaker 1: I mean, Latino parents, man, we always make it about ourselves.
Speaker 2: They're wild Latino Latino him is wild. But then he kind of sat back into it and he was like, you know what, I didn't give you my life. Let me give you these two fingers.
Speaker 1: Though, I mean, listen, we are joking and laughing because it's such a wild story that it almost sounds like it's a made for TV movie, like a Sunday Night tele novela story or something. But have you ever heard of this happening to another celebrity? Like I can only think of no, no kidnappings. I mean I can think of like massive threats on their life, like obviously the Kim Kardashian burglary in Paris.
Speaker 2: I think the first thing I heard of was was more like Paris Hilton and the Bling Ringer. I think that was before Kim's remember that. Yeah, so that was kind of the biggest thing that I guess I had heard of, and then obviously the Kim thing was huge. But remember that I'm from Alpastro, Texas, and like, what is so? Like I had did hear about? Like kidnappings weren't crazy? For yeah?
Speaker 3: Uncommon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they happen all the time throughout Latin America, like if you I mean for our non Latino listeners who have not had a chance to like travel through And I don't mean like can kun. I mean, although things happen there too. I'm saying, if you've never had a chance to actually like travel through whether it's Mexico, Central America, or Latin America, oftentimes you'll see like fleets of SUVs pulling up to a restaurant and you think it's the president and it's not. It's just a well off family coming to dinner. Because the threat of kidnapping is so high that whenever they leave the gates of their safety, whether that's a ranch or their home or they're building, they are flanked by private security, armed private security because the threat of these kidnappings is so commonplace.
Speaker 3: So this is not such a wild story to me.
Speaker 1: The wildest part of the story is that this lasted for over four months, and that during that entire time he sent there was like, yo, I got to get on stage.
Speaker 2: Wait, well, hold on, That's where I wanted to stop you because I kind of want to play the ils out of a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know it was the authorities who told him he was in concert. He was on a concert, right, Like, It's not like he was just randomly fucking trying to solicit concerts randomly just to you know, make money.
Speaker 3: He like actually had.
Speaker 2: He was doing concerts and if he were to stop, it would be weird.
Speaker 1: Right. Maybe he was trying to make more money for the ransom because you couldn't afford it on his.
Speaker 3: Own, you know, like we actually don't know and we're joking about it and being like, oh, the show must go on, but.
Speaker 2: Like imagine to actually be there, like yeah, like he has to make that money no matter what if he stops, he's not generating money. That's why he's playing these concerts, you know, such a crazy like it is just a crazy spot to be in.
Speaker 3: Fine, where's gooo? Keep that on? All this?
Speaker 1: I need to hear from her, right, I need to hear from her and listen. Vicenta Junior would eventually manage to live with and overcome the trauma. I mean, also, I need to hear from Vicente Junior.
Speaker 3: I was about to say.
Speaker 2: We haven't even asked about the person who's fucking kid that bro, he's fine.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: He would even venture into music a few years later, dropping three albums El Major de Loos, Potrios, Vicente Fernandez, Ijo con Mariacci and Juamentos.
Speaker 1: But alas the eldest Potrio didn't quite inherit his father's star power the way Alejandro had, and after three albums, he retired from music because y'all, being a Nepple baby is hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard out here for a nepo. Look.
Speaker 2: It was back to El Rancho for Vicenta Junior, where he returned to the thing he loved most, riding horses, something he wasn't sure he'd ever do again given his injury.
Speaker 1: The family would move on from this unthinkable ordeal, but another shock to the system was on its way the late nineties and early aunts. Savi sent the Fernandez and his number one son number once in a while.
Speaker 3: My god, why are we ranking children?
Speaker 1: And his number one son Alejandro during victory laps, Santi, honey, you're number one and I have no other children, but he is the favorite.
Speaker 2: Okay, but listen, number one meaning most successful, because his firstborn and he sent the Junior was back at the ranch riding horses.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, that's right, that's right. Alejandro, meanwhile, had been topping the charts for almost a decade and.
Speaker 2: Chent they marked a new millennium with the two part Greatest Hits album that scored him double platinum certification and a Billboard Latin Music Award.
Speaker 1: The following year, we sent that Alejandro went on tour together on the Lassos in Sebliss Tour, a special nine night circuit all up and down the US West Coast and Mexico.
Speaker 2: Tenta would then score a Latin Grammy for Best on Shadow Album and a Person of the Year Award for the Latin Recording Academy.
Speaker 1: The award honored him not just for his artistic achievements, but for his philanthropy, having made donations to the National Hispanic Scholarship Fund and having long performed for free at rural Mexican town fairs.
Speaker 2: I can't think of a better way to spend your sixties. I feel like our parents all dreamt of being praised and sent off to retirement like this.
Speaker 1: So true, but life isn't always like that, And unfortunately for tenthe his world was about to be turned upside down right as he was reaching sixty five Girl.
Speaker 3: The novela continues.
Speaker 1: So years after the kidnapping of Assentha Junior, the family patriarch decides to purchase kidnap and ransom insurance for his entire family.
Speaker 2: Sounds like Tenta took a big hit from that three point five million dollar rant payment and not so fun fact, in twenty ten, criminal gangs made an estimated five hundred million a year for ransom payments.
Speaker 4: We're in the wrong business, bitch, I was about to say, hydid wife, Hydra husband, Honey, I'm coming for everybody like I'm about to get paid. So the insurance definitely felt in line with a proper reasonable measure. But now, as a part of the agreement with the insurance company, each member of the family had to undergo a DNA test.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, are we about to get all fucking Jerry Springer mypovitch up on this, bitch.
Speaker 1: M because it turns out one of the four Portrios was not the sent the senior's biological son. He is not the father.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, wait wait, wait, hold on, hold on. But what if it was Dona Coqita? What if she had a secret life of her own? No, she's the hero all of this, Okay, but who does that leave So Rodrigo remember him?
Speaker 1: He was Decenta's illegitimate son with Patrisa Rivera.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, it turns.
Speaker 1: Out Patricia had lied about him being the scent son. When the test results came. Rodrigo was eighteen years old, and all of those years he had lived on a rancho as just another member of the family.
Speaker 3: They never ever made him feel like a black sheep.
Speaker 1: But now the entire family cut him out. They kicked him out of the rancho and ceased communication.
Speaker 3: I have no comment. I need to think about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, But again we have to point out none of this was the child's fault, and of course he tried to reason with the family and find reconciliation, but to no avail.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to lie.
Speaker 2: I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth from this, and it is not the popcorn that I had earlier.
Speaker 1: Bad taste, Like I am throwing this entire family in the garbage, Like I'm done with you, all of you, all of you. I was already done with Jenta a little bit.
Speaker 2: I kind of just Likeita raised but where are you baby?
Speaker 1: Like I'm done with her too, don't like she was my hero. She was my hero and now she is the villain? Like what an art?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right, I mean can you imagine?
Speaker 1: I mean I think about all of my friends that are adopted, and like how deep the bond is that they have with their families. Like can you imagine if, like all of a sudden, their parents that raise them forever just decided one day to like be like you know what, no, not enough, not enough, We decided you're not ours anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have I don't have words. I could say this.
Speaker 2: I know poor that you go, I get it, but like just know this too, like they be sent there must have felt obviously he felt betrayed. Imagine I think something is yours for so long and.
Speaker 1: You go get Patricia, like, go figure it out with her, Like, go get her. Don't take it out on your poor son, who knows nothing different. I mean, we're talking about a lifetime of therapy. And what's crazy is Fernandez did offer to pay for Rodrigo's education, but like, hello, bu like are you going to pay for my therapy too? And by the way, rumors also suggest that ed Chadle paid his former son millions to just vanish. He just wanted nothing to do with him.
Speaker 2: It's got the cope taste I was having. But believe what you want, I guess.
Speaker 1: And we're not done. There's still a little bit more to Rodrigo's story, though. All Throughout his teen years, he had been studying and practicing music.
Speaker 3: Same as that Alekandro. He wanted to be just like his dad.
Speaker 1: After the ordeal that the family put him through, Rodrigo landed himself a meeting with EMI where he performed the rancherra music that he had learned at Rancho Tres Potrios.
Speaker 2: Our Portrioscuro. Got signed Bitch, and his debut record.
Speaker 3: Was a hit.
Speaker 1: It Begatomas Bayo made waves and got Rodrigo the title of Musical Revelation of the Year at the two thousand and seven oh Ye Awards. Rodrigo put in work and earned a solid reputation in the regional Mexican music scene, but eventually he'd hang up his hat and since then he stayed out of the spotlight and as far as the public knows, out of contact with the Fernandez dynasty.
Speaker 3: Damn sad.
Speaker 1: Y'all sad and dark, and we're not even done. There's still another episode on the next Becoming an Icon vicent that Fernandez leaves behind a checkered legacy. Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart'smichael Duda podcast network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast