Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, no, use.
Speaker 3: It to our ears. You're life the go team of the senior Bill did it again?
Speaker 4: Ah, yes, you know what.
Speaker 3: I look at this as revenge for those nineteen sixties losses to Frank Ryan in the Cleveland Bryant late sixties. I think Frank Ryan could have played quarterback better yesterday.
Speaker 5: You might have been able to.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you had Frank Ryan's offensive line.
Speaker 3: Uh right, doctor Frank Ryan. As a matter of out you you folks out there, you go google doctor Frank Ryan.
Speaker 5: There you go, all right, And this is a.
Speaker 3: Victory Monday here inside the SWBC podcast studio, and this is mixed shots. Bill Jones, Everson Walls, the former Cleveland Brown.
Speaker 5: Put that.
Speaker 4: Almost forgot that?
Speaker 3: And yes, how about them Cowboys. That's how you open a season. And I can't believe that I picked and you picked Mickey a twenty three twenty win. But what was your what was your score?
Speaker 5: Twenty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now we all had it close, but you know, we think.
Speaker 5: We had the right winner. There's not a lot of people out there that had the right winner. As a matter of fact, the guys in the Morning News went over, did they really no one picked the Cowboys doing?
Speaker 4: They are ready for the collapse.
Speaker 3: They're on collapse.
Speaker 6: Wow, oh god, they can't wait for what that happened.
Speaker 4: You know that they thought it was all set up for that.
Speaker 6: Dak didn't have his contract at the time going into Camp Seed. He didn't have his contract. I meant sign three, zekeeall Zeke Elliot's coming.
Speaker 5: Back's gonna show up on crutches.
Speaker 6: I thought Zeke was like thirty seven years old. I didn't know he was so young the way they talk about.
Speaker 5: And Cleveland was gonna win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: The defensive team of the year.
Speaker 3: You know, have tried number one defense in the league last year, number one past defense. Now, having said that, the Cowboys didn't put up juggernaut numbers on offense, but that's what makes you feel even better about that win is the Cowboys didn't play particularly well and still blew them out.
Speaker 5: The second half. Yeah, was disappointing. Dak even said it. Mike said it that it got sloppy. My understanding. He was not real happy.
Speaker 3: During the game.
Speaker 5: A lot of mistakes were being made, especially in the second half. But you're up twenty seven to three, and I don't know if you relax as a player or what. But after Turpen's punk return for the touchdown, I'll tell you what, there were not many happy people in the stans. They were quiet games. They were leaving quiet games. Midway through the third quarter.
Speaker 3: Well probably right after that pump return so early in the third quarter.
Speaker 5: All of a sudden, I realized the seats were orange in that stadium.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: But in this league there when you get up twenty seven to three, usually it stays around that number, unless you're the Nordland Saints playing the Carolina Panthers. Theeven to ten and by the way, that's the next opponent.
Speaker 5: Better watch.
Speaker 3: That gets you your attention down the hallway here for the co which is that works out well getting their attention. Don't get full of yourself. After a thirty three seventeen win over the Cleveland Browns that came complete with a what's been reported as a four year two hundred and forty million dollar contract for your franchise quarterback.
Speaker 5: And I understanding it, it's going to come in a little bit less than that. So but we're we're mincing millions, right, what's the difference time?
Speaker 4: What it's about these days?
Speaker 5: Fifty seven or sixty? Right, what's the difference if the whole thing's guaranteed or just two hundred and thirty one million are guaranteed?
Speaker 3: One million more than that quarterback for Cleveland guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this coount count always has.
Speaker 3: I did think that was the first thing I thought of when I heard two hundred and thirty one million guaranteed. I said, well, you got to get more than the guy that's playing quarterback from the opposing team today. It was two hundred and thirty million.
Speaker 5: For Shawn Watson, right, yeah, and I bet after that performance, by.
Speaker 3: The way, and this gets in to just the difference and when you look at the young players that in their first NFL game stepped up and played yesterday. I went back and looked at the Deshaun Watson trade. They not only got Deshaun Watson in that trade, but they gave up not one, not two, but three first round draft picks. A couple of thirds and a fourth, and I thought after that game, I thought you could really tell the lasting effect of the Watson trade. Forget how Watson played, but the makeup of the Browns team. I mean, they don't have didn't have a first round pick this year, and their second round pick had domestic violence allegations whatever, and so he not playing either. And you can tell the difference of the in the young talent on both of the teams.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys had eleven players making their Cowboys debut and six players making their NFL debut, and with three of them starting, and possibly you probably can count all right, our man, Isaiah, you probably can count Demarvian Overshown as a starter because when they went to Nickel, he was the linebacker, not Leophile, and he had an amazing, amazing And the Cowboys were criticized because they only signed basically three veteran free agents in UH when free agency began. Well, one of them just happened to be Eric Kendricks, and I think he's got some game left. By the way, he would have been the player of the game by most estimates.
Speaker 3: Sex an interception, a past defense.
Speaker 5: Nine tackles, and it was the first two SAC game. How about this first two act game since twenty sixteen when he was with the Vikings with ZIM and it was against the Packers and Mike McCarthy, Oh wow, McArthur goestakes.
Speaker 4: You know, it seems like he's catching on pretty quickly to that defense.
Speaker 3: He had a lot to learn about that.
Speaker 5: Zeke had a touch a touchdown, by the way, the pick.
Speaker 3: To click, the pick to click, Yeah, how about it. I did some standards and he didn't get near one hundred yards forty nine yards from scrimmage. Do I get credit for a pick to click because of Zeke scoring a touchdown?
Speaker 4: That's a plus?
Speaker 5: Do I get credit for Diggs interception?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And shutting down and right shutting down?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 9: You had Dak with very hundred first half, very good. Hey first he got he no that clicked even before the game started. Yeah, right, it has a ten twenty Dallas time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you win, you win.
Speaker 5: So when he came out for early warm ups, like before they put their uniforms on or whatever, and he had his ear pods in, but he came by me and he's singing, right, and I go, I'd be singing too, But he didn't hear me, right, And I asked him after the game, I said, so, what were you singing? He goes, I don't know whatever was in my ear pods. I wasn't singing because of the contract.
Speaker 3: I said, well, you should have been just like that, all right, But before we'll dive in more so much to unwrap. I do want to say this so because you mentioned Eric Kendricks and the it was tweeted out about Kendricks and probably in the game notes. With his interception and two sacks, the third player in franchise history. Okay, but stop, no, no, no, to record two sacks and an interception in the same game. Okay, it's as the first since Tommy Haynes in nineteen eighty seven. Hi, Everson, do you recall it Tommy Haynes who played for the Cowboys in nineteen eighty seven? And when at first, as soon as I saw nineteen eighty seven and I saw Tommy Haynes, I said, I've never heard of Tommy Haynes in nineteen eighty seven. Is the reason I've never heard of Tommy Haynes because he was a replacement player.
Speaker 5: There you go, I've told them you cannot do not do not look at eighty seven for stats because of those things are in irrelevant because they were in the replacement.
Speaker 4: Right, So Tommy Haynes is somewhere going.
Speaker 3: I looked him up. I looked him up, and nothing against Tommy Haynes. Okay, who apparently went to USC. I assume he played at US.
Speaker 5: City ever played in the NFL.
Speaker 3: As old that were real. The only three games he played in the NFL were the in the strike year in eighty seven.
Speaker 4: So I bet he's a cowb.
Speaker 3: So Eric not now after we're saying this, Okay, if he's listening. So Eric Kendricks an interception, two sacks, the second player in franchise history. The first to do it was Jim Jeffcoat in nineteen eighty five. You go there, you go, that one counts.
Speaker 5: Look the defense, the defense, The defense was impressive. And welcome back Mike Zimmer Right. Plus I heard he wasn't even happy after during the game, right, he was staying on him. At halftime, the longest play Cleveland had was eight yards a run and a pass reception. They only had thirty thirty five say it, right, hey on Their total yards at halftime was fifty four and they had thirty five yards rushing at the end of three quarters, so they ended up with ninety three, but.
Speaker 3: A lot of it came Hey, I was keeping tracked in the fourth quarter. It through eight possessions of this game, the Browns had forty five total yards and one first down.
Speaker 5: One first It was.
Speaker 3: After the first possession and the punt return by Cavante Turpin. The total yards for the Browns was forty five and they had one first down.
Speaker 5: They ended up two of fifteen on third down the entire game. Entire game, two of fifteen, two hundred and thirty yards, but most of it came in the fourth quarter. And one of the possessions they had that they gained yards. It was the goofy fifth down play when they they they basically ruled he was short on fourth down Cowboys ball. The Cowboys run a play and it was like, oh no, that was that that fourth down counted? After the Cowboys ran a play, right, didn't they They came.
Speaker 3: Out field it was it was third down, was third but the Cowboys offense came down, came out on the field right after the incompletion in the end zone.
Speaker 5: But they had run a play on fourth down right.
Speaker 3: The Browns did, yeah, and then they said that play shouldn't have watching it on television. It was it was totally confusing to us because it was it was evident to me watching on television, at least I thought I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying on the broadcast or anything, but it looked like he got the first down, and so when my I wrote it down as a first right, okay, But apparently in the stadium it wasn't conveyed that.
Speaker 5: He got the first no, because it was fourth down on the sticks right, And then they ran a play and then they counted that as first down in completion. Unbelievable. And on the on the sixty six yard field goal number one, they started the forty second clock as soon as Tolbert got up from being out of bounds. And secondly, the umpires standing over the ball while they were running their eleventh player on the field, which they're not responsible for doing that. The Cowboys put their their kicking team out there, they had time to make their substitution, and he stayed on there till there was eight seconds left before he released the ball, and then they thought that they had put more time on into.
Speaker 3: Which is why they didn't call time out right sixty six yard field goal.
Speaker 5: He made it from seventy seventy and you could hear they were two seconds behind. I mean when the twenty five second clock or whatever clock ran out.
Speaker 4: I must admit I was impressed.
Speaker 6: And you know, I feel like the father that you know, told his son what to do, and he went out and did it perfectly. In this game, you know, offensively did okay. Don't care if you do okay offensively. This team needs to have what they did yesterday and a complete team. That's what they need to have. I've always talked about it. I get tired of these guardian numbers offensively. I get it that you're gonna get your money because you're throwing these touchdowns. Somebody's gonna get his money because he's catching these touchdowns.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 6: Just come through when I need you to come through. I don't need you to blow anyone out. I don't need you to over impress anyone. I need our defense to go out and keep the hounds at bay. That's what I need my defense to do. I need my special teams to hold everyone up to not mess up with bad penalties to keep the field position in our favor, and we do more than that. We're over the top because we have one of the best field goal kickers.
Speaker 4: In the game.
Speaker 6: Offensively, you need to play off of us, just like I always talked about, this is what I need you to do. And I never saw stress, and that probably along the coaches a little bit. They just never showed any stress during the game. And that may have given off a lack of days aical look to the coaches, but they were never threatened. Boying games like this on the road and you played against the number one defense in the NFL, I say, you can't complain about much in regards to your attitude when you went out there and play on the road against a team that has extremely high expectations. Now, something could happen after this with us. I don't know what's gonna happen next week, all of that, But what I do know is we went in there ready to play for yesterday for.
Speaker 5: One week and they and they basically said, hey were the Cowboys, right, not this national narrative about them finishing eight to nine, and and who knows, who knows, But for one game it was like we got some talented players for this team.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: And this defense did what they should have done against an offense that lost three offensive linemen.
Speaker 5: Think about think about all the time spent and yards of words written about how they're going to stop a Marii Cooper. I had to check a couple of times to see if he was on the field, had two catches.
Speaker 4: It's a team game, dude, This is a team game. Our defense came out there as a team. Everyone did what they had to do.
Speaker 6: Put pressure on the quarterback. Now you got the wide receivers covered. They can't score, they can't move the ball. Offense took their time. They ended up scoring in timely fashion.
Speaker 4: It's a team game.
Speaker 3: What was the weather like in Cleveland yesterday?
Speaker 5: It was unbelievable. It'll never be better for how bad was the wind? The wind was strong, Okay, and that's why.
Speaker 3: That's why Deshaun Watson's passes were going.
Speaker 4: Yeah right. The wind was always in his face no matter what direction he was going.
Speaker 5: Actually, he did better throwing into the wind.
Speaker 3: Than with it. Either he was throwing the ball away a lot, yeah, or something was going on there, because I don't recall a game in what seemed to be pristine conditions where so many balls were thrown out of bounds.
Speaker 5: And they'll never play on another field grass field that was in such great shape. Nice, which by the way, they're going to tear it up because of Billy Joel Concert is next on the field and so they're ripping it up afterwards and putting down new side.
Speaker 4: That's smart if you can believe that.
Speaker 5: But it was like a putting green. I mean, the field was great, which helps the kicker, right because your cleats don't drag through some grass or whatever.
Speaker 4: Well it's not too soft, yeah, you want ferns. Yeah, And it was.
Speaker 3: And speaking of Aubrey's field goal that he did make from sixty six yards, which matched the preseason sixty six yarder, I was disappointed that the broadcast crew did not realize he had made a sixty six yarder in the preseason. They didn't they they Kevin Burkhardt made the reference that in the preseason he's connected from around sixty or whatever, but he didn't have precisely that was the exact same distance as his sixty six yarder in Las Vegas.
Speaker 5: And they needed to also point out that the record the ball bounced on the crossbar to.
Speaker 3: Get Tucker's justin Tucker's record, and.
Speaker 5: Well, well not he would have. The preseason doesn't really count.
Speaker 3: The preseason doesn't count. But had that one, had it had not been a delay of game penalty, that would have matched the longest.
Speaker 5: And it was good from seventy where but was it good from seventy one?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, because cross they had They had Aubrey still out there to kick a seventy one yard after the penalty, and then they decided better of it, which I think was the wisest season because of the return guy.
Speaker 5: We don't want Auburn Alabama to play, say, initially, initially, I don't think I look at it like this.
Speaker 4: You don't want your kicker exerting himself consecutive, You don't.
Speaker 6: You just don't want It's like you know, you do polevall after a while, balls, you're not going to get anythgory that.
Speaker 3: But the only way Cleveland was going to get back in that game was if something crazy happened where they had a return of a seventy one yard field goal and now, all of a sudden, the twenty to three halftime lead has cut to twenty to ten and a two ball game.
Speaker 4: See I think if you have Mike tom or not that he could trip him up on the side.
Speaker 5: I think, I think if you're in a desperate situation, you go ahead and try it. Of course, but they weren't, and there was no sense making a mistake and letting them back in the game. And when they called time out, they put the return guy in the end zone. And then it was like, remember Robburn, Alabama, better.
Speaker 10: Not do well.
Speaker 6: One thing I can say, this is the kind of of game that you want to take on the road with you everywhere you go.
Speaker 4: You want this type of effort to.
Speaker 3: Travel and then you would be four and five on the road for the seconds.
Speaker 5: Ran the ball well enough, not great, but well enough that they had to respect it and ceedee. Lamb didn't looked like he missed all of training camp.
Speaker 3: He looked exactly the way I expected, right, And.
Speaker 5: They supplemented the running game with him. He had a that was a preer high twenty five yards of rushing and they used Brandon Cooks right, and we sound like.
Speaker 4: Were geniuses last year. This is the last week.
Speaker 5: This is on the touchdown. On the touchdown pass to Cooks. They lined up three to that side. Both Lamb and Cooks were in the slot and Lamb took some people with them with left man coverage with the safety and Dack threw the ball way before he broke and that's why he was so wide open.
Speaker 11: Uh so, yeah, they were expecting his hot to be the the two inside routes yes, run by the other two receivers, and instead the hot was thro deep because they flag the cooks and the safety was or of found.
Speaker 6: Which which is a connection that we failed on last year as well at the end, but not early.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you. Cooks was really good in training camp practices. Uh. They they had a great connection going.
Speaker 3: So archer, the archer is on target.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: That yeah, he's the that's the cher. Yeah yeah, all right, when we come back, this is the social media post of the morning. I've got it for you when we come back in just a moment.
Speaker 1: On Mike shots, Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 3: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 3: Look I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 5: It says less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset, we'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less feeling and taste great.
Speaker 10: I'm vishine legal guy, celebrate responsibly, Walk was Beer ninety six thousand, three point de grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest hero. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: As they snapper the press scout who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll look for a pers down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 5: Prescott's gonna run this him show, run it up.
Speaker 3: The middle, and he scores.
Speaker 2: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 5: The Mixed Shots.
Speaker 6: Next Tour is back head to AT and T Stadium on Tuesday, September ten for a showdown between the Mexican and Canadian men's national teams don't miss another exciting soccer match in Arlington. Tickets are on sale now at seat geek dot com, the official ticketing partner at and T Stadium.
Speaker 4: Training camp in Frisco.
Speaker 5: Okay, are you going.
Speaker 4: I don't know who wrote this.
Speaker 5: That's camp.
Speaker 3: The soccer training camp is in Frisco. This is a soccer but Mecca, there's a there's a period between. Let me let me see it. Let me I didn't I didn't type it up. Let me see. This is Monday next tour. Okay, all right, well we'll move on to the social media post of the morning. It is simply three words God is good with an exclamation point, and it's from Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, that's a relief. Yeah, uh that the cowboys thought. The doctors thought it wasn't a torn a c L. But they said, as usual, to do the MRI and see for sure. But their initial prognosis was it wasn't that. There was some thought it might be a hyper extended knee. I guess it got reported as an MCL, which normally means two to four weeks somewhere in there. But they usually know when you tear your acl When they do the hand check, they can tell they're pretty good.
Speaker 4: You feel it, you can feel it.
Speaker 5: So I told you guys this morning, that's like when I tore my achilles. They immediately told me you tore your achilles, And I said, do we need an MRI? And the answer was, well, we'd be wasting our time and your money. So they know. So that's yeah, that's good news.
Speaker 4: But they still don't know how long it'll be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you don't know how long. So we'll see on that one.
Speaker 3: Oh, do you care to hear what Todd Archer tweeted about it? What did he say? Okay, well let me find it. I had it a second ago and now we're pulling it back up. And he said, Jake one hour ago. Jake Ferguson could still play Sunday against the Saints after being diagnosed with a bone bruise and a minor sprain of the medio collateral ligament in his left knee. According to a source.
Speaker 5: So the bone bruise is part of the hyper extension. Okay, that's what happens. So that is a player you do not want to lose, no at all at all. Why they almost had that passed down the scene too to him.
Speaker 3: The fender came off another guy and yeah, got in the way of that.
Speaker 4: Well that's why they're good.
Speaker 3: Second, that's right right, how about you catch by CD denzil on him? Pass?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pass too.
Speaker 3: Right there?
Speaker 5: You know, And that kind of set the tone for the game because if you remember that got him was a don a first down. I'm trying to remember it was on that touchdown try. It was second and ten at the forty uh And I think when when they got that, it was like, Okay.
Speaker 3: Here we go because what had happened previously. I bet you go back to the second play of the game. Oh, we're all this concern. I got this rookie left tackle. What's he gonna do with Miles Garrett? We got this rookie Cooper BB at the center. Hell in the world. The second play of the game is the future Hall of Famer down the sack. Yeah, who hadn't given up a second six years?
Speaker 5: You didn't see it, didn't like the number seventy turning his around and going, oh that's my guy.
Speaker 3: Oh, Dak, I say, poor Dak, he's rich. Dag hits it right in the face on the second play side of his contract.
Speaker 5: Oh my, welcome back to the NFL.
Speaker 4: But welcome back to reality. Uh huh, No, it could have been.
Speaker 6: You know that Cowboys would last year was always something dramatic going on. Well that was good drama. I mean they reacted to it. Well, it didn't overwhelm anyone. You know, it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. There was nothing that a critic could hang his hat on and say that the Cowboys were distracted in any way by that.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the other thing about you know, you know, Dak did not have great stats, didn't need to have great stats, which is a testament to Dak in the maturity that he has as a quarterback in this league taking care of the football. And here's a great case in point as the other side of that coin. As Bill Parcells would say in the break, we were talking about the Chicago Bears coming back to beat the Tennessee Titan. Yes, and what a great comeback it was for the number one overall pick in the draft, Caleb Williams. He led the Bears. Do they come from behind when? Well, Caleb Williams was fourteen of twenty nine for ninety two yards. Now, he didn't throw an interception, but there's something to be said for that, to my point, Will Levis. On the other side, the Titans had a seventeen to three halftime lead and he did not take care of the football. Tyreek Stevenson had the go ahead interception return for a touchdown, a ball that should not have been thrown. Will Levis right, And there's a difference in Okay, just you're talking about Dak in pregame warm ups and so forth, just the way the Dak handles himself and everything. I mean, he is the rock of this team, right yeah. And I mean it's look at any if anyone is going to command that kind of salary or whatever, Dak is the one to have it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first, halt and yeah.
Speaker 3: But even comparing him with other quarterbacks in the league, I mean, he's up there with just his turn right now, It'll be somebody else's turn come next sp for this.
Speaker 6: Team, right exactly, for the team, those two guys deserve the money, that's right.
Speaker 3: And look at the numbers.
Speaker 5: Look at the numbers. At the numbers at the end of the first half when they what they went up twenty to three, fourteen of twenty one for one fifty six uh and a touchdown one oh four point five quarterback rating, and CD had four catches for fifty eight yards, so and Cooks at that time had four catches for forty yards and a touchdown. So the difference between the first half and the second half.
Speaker 4: On the road, on the road against the number one defense guys.
Speaker 5: At the dog pole, they just smoke a lot of good weeds. They got a funny you would say that because in the press box kind of smell.
Speaker 6: Like that's that's the thing. You're gonna smell it. The defensive back one line up in the end zone. And that's what we did our onemost with Nick sab But you can smell it all the time.
Speaker 3: Ye turn around and you know the proximity to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Well there wasn't.
Speaker 5: Even Yeah, they got they got a dog statue on the field. Now it's on wheels. Yeah, sort of like the Viking horn deal. Yeah, they got a dog.
Speaker 3: Now do you like the scene at that stadium? Been a while since you've been there.
Speaker 5: It's getting old, but yeah, it's but I mean they want a new one. But I think the cool thing is looking up there and seeing the names. You know, Jim Brown, Uh, it's it's it's it's pretty neat.
Speaker 4: So so Guiden and Garrett.
Speaker 5: Yes, yep, what do you think I thought? For a rookie playing his first game against against the NFL, don't forget player.
Speaker 3: And by the way, along those lines, with Miles Garrett, he's had six straight seasons to start his career with ten o more sacks every season. You know, the only player to have seven straight seasons to start his career with ten of more sacks in NFL Historygie White, Reggie White, Yeah, what do you say, Derek Thomas, Yeah, well that's another good choice. But Reggie White that that's the company Miles Garrett is keeping.
Speaker 5: And the only reason I knew that or guessed it was because Reggie and Michael Parsons are the only two guys in sacks. Became a official stat in eighty two. Uh to have three first three seasons in the NFL with at least thirteen sacks. So and he he only had one sack. He probably should have had two or three more had the batted pass that ended up being intercepted, and he was just giving them fits from all over, right, side, left side, middle side, they couldn't block them.
Speaker 4: I thought that we did things that well.
Speaker 6: The last year kind of taken us out of our comfort zone. I never thought we played that well on grass. Yeah, I think we. Iys thought we played.
Speaker 3: This is back with your weed talkers, that's.
Speaker 5: You know. And they were smart with Geyiton. They put a tight end over there. Sometimes they had the tight end blocking uh. And then a couple of times I saw a guard pull out to help, so they were.
Speaker 2: Well, you should nudget them, right, you should give him help.
Speaker 4: You should give anyone help, and.
Speaker 5: Think about and think about what they did offensively knowing that you know, okay, Garrett pretty tough. How many times you see Dak roll out? Right, They didn't let him just sit in the pocket, so you got them on motion and that helps the protection. So they they I thought they were really smart, unlike Cleveland Leavin Watson just sitting in there with two backups, although they've played in the league, but they were two backup offensive tackles and they let him sitting sitting duck in the middle of the pocket.
Speaker 6: They're gonna come back with like grades or something when they come back for Wednesday. Maybe what's that the coaches. Oh for the Cowboys, ye, I'd like to see what kind of grade they gave them.
Speaker 4: They got would get.
Speaker 5: I bet Bbe might have grated out better than getting. But I thought he I was watching. I thought I got to go back and watch it again. But he did a good job of staying in front of him. He got being around the edge that one time. But it's gonna happen. But yeah, I thought it wasn't noticed. It wasn't chas green, right right.
Speaker 3: And the key is being able to do it weekend and weekend, right, So all right, when we come back here, the next critique of Everson Walls of his next bread when Mixed Shots continues at a moment.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 3: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 2: It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 10: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams cards for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 2: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: As they snapper the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flaft. He'll run for a pers down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 13: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 2: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: Get started at blockchain dot Com to mixed shots.
Speaker 6: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest fans you know uh now for a chance to win twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit dallascowboys dot com s last fan of the year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Trying to remember who Everson reminds me of on his reads.
Speaker 4: There not me, your grand nephews.
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you styling your reads after anybody in particular, like an actor or somebody Morgan Freeman or somebody.
Speaker 4: Oh please, I wisk I wouldn't be here. I'd be doing voices.
Speaker 3: All right, Mickey, you got lots and lots and lots on your legs.
Speaker 5: So we were talking about Marie Cooper kind of disappearing. Were you able to I know it's hard on TV to kind of concent right on Kaylen Carson and how he played.
Speaker 3: To me, they were trying to pick on him.
Speaker 5: They tried picking on him. He had two pass breakups, probably should have had an interception or two.
Speaker 6: Also, I saw kind of the way I tried to critique it last week. You just need to play smart, you know.
Speaker 4: He didn't.
Speaker 6: He was never out of position from what I could see, and he played within the realm of the defense. He didn't try to go off and be this shutdown corner. He simply played it looked just like he played in college. He kept the leverage on the wide receiver made sure he didn't get beat deep, and when he had a chance to jump it.
Speaker 5: He jumped that one up. He didn't get there, but he jumped it right. It was a good play.
Speaker 6: And that's what I was noticed about him in college, his ability to come out of the break.
Speaker 4: He's top notch.
Speaker 6: That can get you in trouble, of course, but the way the Cowboys defense was playing it allowed him to stay within himself and not have to gamble.
Speaker 4: So that's why he was. He was able to have the patience to make the place when he had a chance to.
Speaker 5: And they almost didn't even try digs too many times.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, he never had time to try anyone. Really, you're right, I mean, that's what you have to look at. He immediately came out Deshaun Watson from under center. His footwork was already under duress. He never looked comfortable when he dropped back in the pocket. He seemed to be ready to run when that backfoot hit. He didn't seem like he was ready to throw. When the backfoot hit, he was ready to escape. When the backfoot hit, You're you're not even looking downfield.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got this as far as our offensive rookie offensive lineman. Lowest pressure rates allowed by rookie offensive lineman in Week one. This is from the thirty third team.
Speaker 5: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: That's a that's a reputable website. Okay, the thirty thirteen.
Speaker 4: Have you led Mickey determined.
Speaker 3: That I'd like they've got. I'll say this, I like the gms, the former gms that are on there on the thirty third team, and so that's why I say it's a reputable Okay. Cooper BB Dallas. The pressure rate zero percent, zero pressures, thirty six pass snaps. Uh. List of these are all rookies. There were two others, Zach Frasier, the Pittsburgh center zero percent, Tyler Goeitton the five point six percent two pressures in thirty six past snaps.
Speaker 5: Not bad so well, specially speaking considering.
Speaker 4: The opposition being on the UH on the left side and being in that position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking of him getting rid of the ball, they're top three receivers running back, tight end, tight end. They had thirteen of his twenty four completions, so he was not having time to get the ball downfield to his his regular receivers. A lot of dump off stuff that he completed.
Speaker 3: Okay, overshelln what do you think?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Wow, I love Overshell.
Speaker 4: Huh, that's major, that's major.
Speaker 5: I mean we can continue with that nine tack He matched fast Kendricks.
Speaker 4: Just the tackles.
Speaker 6: It's where they were being made right, and there's the outcome of it because they stopped a lot of drives. They put them in a lot of third and laws.
Speaker 3: Where he closes that that sack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think Watson even thought he was he could get there right. He's scrambling to his right and he's like shot out of a canon. What's like, where'd that guy come from?
Speaker 4: And he's using it to get off a block. You know, he's using his quickness to get off of blocks.
Speaker 3: So you said that Overshown was the nickel. He was linebacker and they were using Leo found Now the snap total. Overshown had forty four snaps on defense. Leo Foul had nine.
Speaker 5: Snaps and they were basically a nickel. Yeah the whole time, and they.
Speaker 3: Which is not going to be unusual when when the Cowboys are ahead by that much, the other team is usually going to be in nickel. And he got three wide receivers set.
Speaker 5: A lot more than basically got the start. Everybody was oh lea File's depth chart, he's listed as the starting linebacker. Well when they're playing three, yeah, but when they go to Nickel, Overshown was rotating in.
Speaker 3: And I like that too as far as using having sub packages for them to where they're they're involved. Okay, and you're playing to their strengths. But also you know, de mont Clark had twenty six snaps at linebacker and Nick Vigil got twenty five snaps.
Speaker 5: Four Vigil came in, I want to say it was the second half. He came in for two consecutive possessions when Kendricks was out, and we kind of called that Bill when we said, well, they may elevate him. Yeah, Vigil, I just like to have an experienced linebacker on the field.
Speaker 3: I didn't even notice him because I think he was in mainly in garbage time late in the game of what Micky's talking about, because Kendricks had fifty one snaps and they had seventy two snaps I think on offense. Micah had sixty nine snaps and yeah, they had seventy two. Cleveland had seventy two snaps on offense. Because the corner, Trayvon had seventy two, Hooker had seventy two, and Donovan Wilson in the secondary, but he.
Speaker 5: Had an assisted tackle and one special teams tackle. Vigil Oh yeah, yeah, So how many snaps did like Joseph and Phillips get Did you get that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: They had.
Speaker 3: Jordan Phillips had fifteen snaps and Lynville Joseph had thirteen snaps, So that tells you. Also, and Mozzi had twenty three snaps. Okay, DeMarcus Lawrence had fifty two. Osa had sixty one. And that's that's one thing that Zim. Looking back at Zimmer's history, he doesn't rote to like if he's got a mainstay like an OsO dig Azua in there, he'll leave him on the field. That's what he used to do back in the day when Lynbell Joseph was twenty five instead of thirty five or whatever in twenty eight instead of thirty five. He would get a lot more snaps than that. So he'll rotate as needed. But if he's got a horse, he'll he keeps him on the field.
Speaker 6: It really does seem to me that the safeties were favoring the whiteouts. I really thought they were favoring the whiteouts, and that because they had no pressure coming from the run, they didn't even try to run the ball as much as they should have. So those those safeties stayed back. You didn't really see them uh trying to come up and stop the run. We didn't need to have eight men in the box, and that that really gave us a lot of help in the back and that to me, I believe that's why we were so successful. And when when uh Deshaun is looking outside, you're seeing no one open.
Speaker 3: You know, we've seen that before, like in the season opener the Giants and where they would abandon the run early in the game.
Speaker 6: And that's what I was gonna say. Dan Quinn was a part of that. So I'm not gonna sit here and say, oh we had some we had some commander game. We had a commander game of a Giants game to where that defense that we vialified last year Buffalo and all of that they were balling. They had the same type of outcome. They had the same type of blowout. So I'm still gonna sit back in mind easy chair and chill for a minute.
Speaker 5: Well, they ran the ball nineteen times. They ended up with ninety three yards and it looks like, oh they almost averaged five yards to carry, but two of the runs were for twenty seven yards. So the majority of that they shut down that running game.
Speaker 4: And once again on the road, on the road.
Speaker 3: I'd like to point this out with help from someone with six Pro bowls. Oh lord, Cleveland played an even front, so the center was more of a helper because he had no one over him in ninety six percent of the time.
Speaker 5: Well, that's okay, it didn't help. He didn't help help.
Speaker 3: So when you get back to the pressure rate and none give it up, sacks whatever, you're not kind of one on one where you're not going to get charged with a sack. If let's keep that going, okay, all right, that does it for a victory? That was six time?
Speaker 6: Did Menking He's not working in the background at this trade.
Speaker 4: I'm going to call him out.
Speaker 5: All right and make sure everybody behaves themselves driving into.
Speaker 3: The game on Sunday. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Get putting you based out somebody, right, come on, I got a badge one here.
Speaker 3: Let me and if you do score an eighty yard touchdown and they come from behind, victory, Yeah, all right. That does it for mixed Shots. Nate Newton is lurking in the background here and we will shut at you again tomorrow here on mix Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.