Speaker 1: I Am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh let us you.
Speaker 3: Hi Am all in Again with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: The date is October fifth, two thousand. The WB is turned on and you hear of the song. There she goes with a beautiful brunette walking down a quaint little town street of stars hollow, popping into a diner and begging for more coffee from a guy in a backwards hat and flannel shirt. This was the beginning of Gilmour Girls, the show that twenty five years ago led into our hearts with its fast talking mother daughter duo relationships and friendships, and a small, quirky town that felt like home. What do you want to celebrate with you by taking a look back at some of our most memorable guests of the podcast. Let's dive into the behind the scenes stories of how it all came together. Was some of your favorite stars my Low vent Emilia as Jess Mariano. How did we meet? Well? Do you remember the first time we met?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man, I don't remember the first moment, I think I very much, just remember that first day of filming. What I remember is just diving right in like like, no pleasantries, no bullsht, to be like this is Scott, this is mine, Like this is we're gonna find this is gonna work, you know, and too what was always funny to me was, dude, you and I were always like really cool and engaged and had a lot to talk about. But of course we're playing these characters that you know, Jess was. He was a punk kid who didn't want to hear it from anybody. And you know, Luke was losing his mind with this kid that he got saddled with from his sister. And and you know, could who you and I were could not have been more opposite than who Jess and Luke were. But also where Jess and Luke kind of got to, I think ultimately was closer to who you and I were in terms of like like relationship and whatnot, you know, because I think I think, you know, Jess grew up, just learned some lessons, and Luke had been through some stuff and that's all fascinating.
Speaker 1: Would you do it again if they wanted to do some more episodes You're in life part sure?
Speaker 4: I mean, the thing the thing is this is like I can't ever get away from it. You know, It's it's for me knowing that like you and Lauren and Alexis and probably just about everybody else in the show would show up, and on top of it, it'd probably be Dan and Amy there writing their asses off. It's like, yeah, why wouldn't I if it would feel like it's there for the right reason versus the wrong reason, like and we all know those wrong reasons where shows think that the show is bigger than the characters, so they'll try and bring it back just to get more money. And it's like, yeah, but are you are there really more stories to tell? That's that's where I always kind of go back to the nostalgia of the past, of stories that we were a part of. Is are there still more stories to tell? Have these characters grown to a point where we actually really want to see more of them, We want to understand where they've been, We're going to discover something new. So I think if they did want to bring it back, and if it was it was Amy and dam at the Helm and you guys are all showing up, I'd be a jerk to not show up.
Speaker 1: Chad Michael Murray is Tristan? Do you think Tristan had true feelings for Rory.
Speaker 5: Understate?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Not even questions, not even questions.
Speaker 1: What would you have liked to see them explore more on the relationship or would you have liked to explore that relationship with her more? Because I think that's one of the things that I mean, it left me wanting so much more. When you exited that series, you were no longer there, So that relationship, to me, had the most It was so fraught with potential.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and well they built it. They built it, and you know, I will take responsibility.
Speaker 5: It's on me that you know.
Speaker 6: I don't think the true depth of that relationship ever came to fruition. It's on me.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: There was an episode in season two where Tristan goes off to military school in North Carolina, i e. Being Dawson's Creek, i e. Being One Tree Hill where we shot in North Carolina. That was military school, my friend. As an actor, you know this, trying on different clothes, different costumes, different walks, different talks, different fields, getting up in the morning and having a fresh shirt. It's different, right, And sitting in the same character for too long can get stagnant, and we always forget how blessed we are when we're in those moments, right, because creatively, you can get stifled. Not that the character was stifling. They did a great job. But I was so young that I needed to find out who Chad is, Who is Chad is an actor? Where can I go? What can I do? And you know, it led to me discovering so much about myself that I genuinely wouldn't be the man I was today. Without making that decision, you know, I could have stayed there and spent six seasons on.
Speaker 1: Oh so they offered you a full deal.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we had the discussion, and for me it was I had at the time, I had a deal with Warner Brooks. When the opportunity came through to stay on Gilmore and really see, I just wanted to know more about me, and I said, you know, I'd love the opportunity to continue to look and find out what that thing is that is And One Tree Hill came around and there was the choice between Lucas and Nathan, and I remember that decision I had to make, and Nathan had a lot of trysting qualities in him on the One Tree Hill. On One Tree Hill, Lucas was the moral compass and I hadn't played that. Yet at that point in my career, I was always playing the bad way, whether it was Dawson's Creek Kilmore Girls, whatever it was. And so I chose the moral compass and I wanted to go a different round discover more about myself. And that's that's that's the truth, Scott. I laid it out for you, and you're like sitting in the barber's chair.
Speaker 1: I just unveiled my seating Keiko againa as Lane Kim. So what did you like most about Lane and what did you like least about Lane?
Speaker 3: I liked that she.
Speaker 7: Had to.
Speaker 3: Care about two things. One she cared deeply about her mother and the other one she would care deeply about her own obsessions and her own independence. And I like characters that have that want two things that don't easily fit together. That's just fun to play off of, to play those two wants off of each other.
Speaker 8: The thing that I like.
Speaker 3: Least about her is that you know, you have all of this build up in that character, and I don't think that she ever got to fly. You put so much pressure on this character, which is fun and what you need in comedy. But I wish that she had had more moments of.
Speaker 1: Fulfillment.
Speaker 3: I think I think there's a lot there's there's a lot of frustration I have with that character as a fan too, or and as someone who got to play her, I would say that's the thing I like least about her, that there.
Speaker 1: Was more potential to flesh out that character and and and you know, with augmented storylines and and and conclusions.
Speaker 3: Yeah more uh uh. I think she just had a hard life, which is fun for comedy. But I I don't know, And maybe this wouldn't make a better show, but I think selfishly I wish that she had had maybe more fulfillment. It's at least with the music side and the independent side of her, because we get to, you know, touch base with her ten years later in the in.
Speaker 1: The what about a spin off show you and.
Speaker 9: Let's do that?
Speaker 3: There's so much more story to hell people, let's uh, let's uh, let's spin her off, right.
Speaker 1: And it's like, who's going to write it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sebastian Bach as Gill going from being on stage in front of millions to acting in front of a crew, What was that transition like for you?
Speaker 11: Well, I think about filming The Gilmore Girls and I think about like each episode was one hour long, and there's not a lot of the TV shows like that anymore that I can think of. And what I enjoyed about it was.
Speaker 12: We all got along like as a cast and a crew. We all I mean I wasn't there as long as you, but in my experience, everybody was like having fun together and we all were like on a mission to make something cool that everybody was on a team, and I missed that. I loved the feeling of, like you know, it was a big cast, it was a big crew, but we.
Speaker 11: Were all on the same page as far as making something that we were all proud of and getting paid every Thursday.
Speaker 1: Was the original plan to have you on for more than one episode or did that grow as times that grew? Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 11: I became friends with Amy and Dan. We would go to the Rainbow couple of times, and me and Dan bonded over old Judas Priest and Rush and he's a real rocker, Dan, he and as arguing with your band my.
Speaker 1: Band indeed indeed ariel Kebble as Lindsay, did you remember reading the script and seeing that you were getting cheated on with Rory? Do you remember how it felt.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you want to know how messed up this is. I remember reading the script. I actually thought the cheating made more sense than us getting married. I remember reading the script where we got married.
Speaker 5: And I was like, what.
Speaker 13: That was harder for me to wrap my head around. I don't know if that just means I'm really messed up, but I because we were just so young and we were so fresh in this relationship. I was really trying to wrap my head around, Okay, we just took this jump to marriage. So I guess by the time the cheating came, I was like, yeah, of course, you know, like what else was going to happen?
Speaker 14: Right?
Speaker 10: So, yeah, I don't know what that says about me.
Speaker 1: But why do you think Lindsey didn't directly confront Rory after she found the note?
Speaker 6: That's a great question.
Speaker 13: I think.
Speaker 6: Deep down she always knew.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 13: It's like I remember that episode where she's like baking him cupcakes with gummy bears on top. You know, it's like she's doing all these things to just these acts of service, to just show her.
Speaker 9: Love and this commitment to.
Speaker 13: Him, And you can feel, even if someone's not saying it, you can feel when someone's not all in right, and so I think I think she felt like dang, I wish I was wrong, but.
Speaker 5: I was right.
Speaker 1: Grantly Phillips as the town Troubadour? Did it all begin with Gilmore Girls and you being cast as a town troubadour?
Speaker 15: Oh goodness, well this would have been about.
Speaker 1: Two thousand, right, five years ago? Yeah, yes, yes, okay, right.
Speaker 15: You know I had been with Grantly Buffalo vocalist, you know, in the band Grantly Buffalo and all that, and and around this time I was kind of starting to go out on my own, working on my first solo album, and that was about the time that I got this this invitation. Do I want to come on this show, this new show and portray the town Troubadour? And so it was it was great timing because you know, all of a sudden, I wasn't on the road all the time I was recording. I was kind of just wide open to whatever the future wanted to throw at me. And there it was. Gilmore Girls. Had no idea that, you know, beyond one appearance, that it would you know, involve you know, so many seasons and there's this incredible lifetime.
Speaker 1: How many how many episodes did you end up doing.
Speaker 15: Do you remember there might have been like I'm going to say maybe twenty.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. Did you notice a hike and album sales or record sales? Uh? More people showing up at your on tour when you were touring well as a result of the show.
Speaker 15: Well, you know what, I Uh, it's interesting some and this it still occurs. The ripples continue to this day. You know when I when I go out and play, I typically meet people to come to the show.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 15: Some people that know Grantly Buffalo, some people that have followed my solo stuff, and then a whole other group of people that it's because of this program, right that they come to the show.
Speaker 1: I can't walk down the street in Amsterdam, ken you anymore? I can't. You can't you know, it's like crazy. You have to jump into the canal just I do. Swim away? Don't you make you? Amic As Sherry, you played Christopher's girl friend, eventually became his wife and mother to Gigi. Tell us about how the audition process and all that.
Speaker 17: How you get the.
Speaker 18: Wrong Actually I tested a whole bunch of times and got really really close to getting.
Speaker 19: Loralai and and just at the end of the day, like the Studio Network, they're like, oh, it just doesn't feel right for whatever reason.
Speaker 18: Right, It's like who knows why.
Speaker 5: People, But I was just I was like, I was so excited.
Speaker 18: I was like, oh, I love this script and I love Amy. So I was heartbroken, not gonna lie, But then I was really excited that Amy just invited me.
Speaker 5: Back to play.
Speaker 19: You know, this kind of kooky character that came in and I guess tortured everybody.
Speaker 5: She was.
Speaker 2: She was interesting.
Speaker 18: What I liked about her is that she was innocent in it all.
Speaker 6: She was very.
Speaker 19: Hi, I'm you know, so good to meet you, having no idea that that the entire.
Speaker 18: Town and social.
Speaker 19: Group, you know, looked at that character as a getting in the way. You know, how dare.
Speaker 1: She Jackson Douglas as Jackson Belleville. How would you describe Jackson in your own words or Arnold Swayt Schwarzenegger's words or yeah.
Speaker 20: I don't know, you know, it was it was an interesting It was really an interesting role because I think it was just kind of a I mean, the best way that I can describe it, at least the way I feel about it, is just a hyperboleized version of me. You know, it's funny how you would live life, and they would all of a sudden end up in a script. I got named the president of the Homos Association, and a month later later we were doing I was being elected the town selectman, you know, because I don't know, Amy just seemed to think that my life was hilarious and just needed to use that for something. It was so easy, I mean, the character was just so much fun, and I got along with everybody so well that it just it really did become effortless. The hardest thing was just to use somebody else's words, you know, try to It's like, oh, I wouldn't speak that way, but I've got to try and force my mouth to, you know, say it a certain way.
Speaker 1: Or and plus you get to, you know, work with Melissa McCarthy Forgod's Well, yeah, was out.
Speaker 10: It didn't.
Speaker 9: It didn't feel like.
Speaker 1: Right exactly because we've said on the show, on the podcast, you know we could I could see because I haven't seen the episodes, right, so I'm watching for the first time.
Speaker 5: It's a whole thesis of the podcast, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, the talent on her from the very first moment you see her is so glaring and apparent, and.
Speaker 9: Just like, wow, did you see it too?
Speaker 5: You must have seen it, right.
Speaker 20: I guess I felt it, you know, And I guess I'm really really fortunate that I felt such a wonderful personal connection with her that I think if I were to oh my god, I mean now that you mention it, I kind of just got shivers. How if I looked at it the way that you described it, I think I would have been really intimidated, and I don't think I would have been able to come even close.
Speaker 1: Jared Pedlicky as Dean Forrester, was Gilmour your first acting gig that you got hired for?
Speaker 17: Not technically so when I was a senior in high school. Well, okay, I'll go back a little bit further. Between my junior and senior year of high school. I want a nationwide contest to be a trophy presenter at the first annual Teen Choice Awards.
Speaker 5: And that meant stood there on stage, I.
Speaker 17: Held onto a surfboard, and when Freddy Prince Junior would win Best Kiss for sheet all that, I'd give it to him and I'd you know, usher them off stage.
Speaker 5: And at the after party, I met a manager.
Speaker 17: Who I'm still with to this day, Dan Spielo, who's also a producing partner, and he's like, hey, you know, do you act or what's I was like, yeah, you know, I'm acted in school, done speech and debate and plays and this, and then I love acting, and so well, here's my card, you know, let's keep in touch. And so I went back to San Antonio to do my senior high school. I flew out during spring break of my senior year, so February during pilot season, thank god, and I got a pilot called Silent Witness, which was for NBC and it didn't get picked up, and so you know, my parents were like, well, okay, you know, you did it. You gave it a shot. And then the check came in for the pilot and they were like, following your dream, son.
Speaker 5: I used money.
Speaker 17: I used that money to road trip out. I put some aside for student loans and whatnot, and I drove out to California with my papall my mom's dad, stayed with my manager at his house and did some auditions and I think that first week or two weeks or whatever, and these are back. You remember two thousand like if you were if you were a teenage white dude, there was a role for you in every single project that was being made. And so I got tons of auditions that they're like, hey, this new kid in town.
Speaker 5: He has acted all throughout school.
Speaker 17: And so I booked a guest spot on Er, I booked in a movie called A Little Inside, and I booked a four episode guest star stint on Gilmore Girls, this show that hadn't aired yet. And funny enough, when I booked the re recast of Dean Forrester, you know, the show hadn't been picked up yet. I was just a co star, I think at the time. And I'd also been offered this independent movie I Forget then that Boys on the Run I think it was called, which was like ten times the money, and I got offered another that was like six times the money. And then I got off with Gilmore Girls, which hadn't even aired yet, and I was, you know, this this kid who grew up in a seven here s Griffet house in San Antonio, going like money, money, money. My my agent and manager were like no, no, no, no, you know we think that the show, which I hadn't read yet, I hadn't seen obviously, it hadn't aired.
Speaker 5: They're like, we think the show has has legs. It's a great show.
Speaker 17: It's super intelligent, it's funny, it's charming, it's heartwarming.
Speaker 5: We think you should do that.
Speaker 17: And so thank god they convinced me, I was still seventeen at the time, to shoot four episodes on the whole show called Gilmore Girls that hadn't aired yet.
Speaker 5: You know, a couple of independent movies.
Speaker 1: Paul Anka as himself, a bunch of first hear about Lorelized Dog being named after you.
Speaker 9: I think it was right from the inception, you know, artbeat later, I want to get out there, obviously, and you know, I became a huge fan of the show. Obviously it was a great show, well written, et cetera, et cetera. But from the inception, you know, probably what after the first couple of weeks, everybody came around and I heard about it, and I thought it was cool because it's so international. I've been an international creature, but I was ultimately hearing from everybody all over the world.
Speaker 1: And so you were aware of the show before you found out about it.
Speaker 9: Friends were watching it. I think my kids were watching it. Right, you know the show. I mean, we're not talking about something obscure. This show was like everybody loved it, So I was very much aware of the show. Yeah right.
Speaker 1: And and then you made a cameo in the cold open of season six, episode eighteen. Tell us how that came about that black and White.
Speaker 9: Well, I got the call and I said, yeah, let's do it. I think we did a couple. When I first got the call, I was very happy to do it, you know, I thought, yeah, natural for me. And they were great to work with. They were just a fun group of people and great bright knew what they were doing, and that was very comforting to me.
Speaker 1: Right, do do fans approach you about your appearances on cal Morn Girls.
Speaker 9: I'm still do fans. I got friends, I got people who did at parties. He always comes up and you know, I hate the phrase, it is what it is, but it is what it is and it was great to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Kathleen Wilhoyt as Luke's sister lives.
Speaker 21: Working with Michael was great fun when we did the wedding scene and his brother came on the show. Then I got to see the Delawise kind of family dynamic, which is just full of love and light and silliness and laughter. I mean that is quite a family and anyway, so I really enjoyed that. But I remember the highlights for me were King was on the set once and Sebastian Bach and Carol King were on a golf cart driving. I don't know where they were going, and I was about one hundred yards away and Sebastian Bach says.
Speaker 1: Kathleen and I turn around.
Speaker 21: I might have been with a friend or something. And I turned around and I was like, he goes, come in here.
Speaker 1: I said, hold on a second.
Speaker 21: Oh, he says, Carol wants to meet you or something. So I'm just like swirly eyes. You know, I've been a huge Carol King fan my whole life. I run to the golf cart and then he looks at me and he sort of blinks and he was like and then who like looks And then I said, Hi, I'm Kathleen.
Speaker 1: He goes, no, not you.
Speaker 8: The pa.
Speaker 9: I was like.
Speaker 21: And then the pa who I was with or something, she was like, oh, Carol, that's Kathleen. Sebastian, this is Kathleen too. She's in the.
Speaker 1: Cast or whatever.
Speaker 21: It was, but getting to meet Carol King was huge highlight. I've been a huge fan of my whole life.
Speaker 1: So did so you met she was on the Uh? Well, it was that during the series of the reboot because I met her on the reboot. I never met her on the series.
Speaker 21: Oh, she was at the she was on the lot. I don't know if she was on, but I didn't get to be on the reboot. And my agent called me and she said, you need to call Amy and say you should be on the reboot. And I'm like, I'm not going to call her, and like, if she's not putting me on, then she doesn't want me on. Gross, I'm not that guy.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: That's what it needed. It needed, it needed Lizen TJ. It needed. It really did well.
Speaker 21: It turns out I'm available.
Speaker 1: I think Truesdale is Michelle. Do you consider Michelle to be rude or just honest?
Speaker 10: I think honest, honest, but in a context of different culture, you know, because Michelle, Michelle in Paris is not rude. They're they're all on, they're all like him. They put him in the context of an America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 10: Rude because people don't speak their mind right right right. When they do, it's because they're being rude. He's just and the French love to have an argument, right, you would think they're fighting, but it's just they love the conversation and the benter.
Speaker 5: And arguing about the objective, just.
Speaker 10: Taking on purpose the opposite side of absolutely like dissect.
Speaker 1: I mean, you just can't sit there and eat the dinner, you know, you gotta.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so yeah, I don't think he is rude.
Speaker 1: No, okay, all right, So here's a little bit of a personal question. Do you think people think that you are prickly in real life?
Speaker 5: Yes? They do. They do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they do because well they think because when you do something well in this business, as you know, people think you are that person. Right, So they're always first of all shocked that when I open my mouth when they've never seen me in anything else that I don't speak like Michelle.
Speaker 5: I was like, well, no, this is a character I'm not.
Speaker 10: But and then they're like, oh, you're so nice, You're so sick.
Speaker 5: I was afraid to say hi to you, right right, right, right right right.
Speaker 10: So there's a little bit of that perception that you are that character. But quickly they realize how charm me, I.
Speaker 1: Am Sally Strugglers as Bebett. If you could jump back in time to filming any episode or season, what would it be?
Speaker 5: Oh Gilmore?
Speaker 16: Any episode or season of the Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 9: Oh Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 11: Oh M.
Speaker 16: When did I have the most fun? Probably when we did what was it called A Year in the Life?
Speaker 5: What was it a?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 11: We came back.
Speaker 16: We all hadn't seen each other in several years, and then we did those four ninety minute movies, and I felt so lucky. I felt like I hadn't been invited to my high school reunion. And the reunion went on for you know, a month. I was like a kid at Christmas, dancing around the Warner Brothers lot, and Rose Abdu said to me one day, Oh, here comes one of their their trolley's what do you call those caravan things where they drive people around to take a tour in the studio bus the tram right right? And she says, let's just stand here and give them a thrill. We were on our way to the steppe uppy truck where you could get snacks, right, and we were admonishing one another about how we didn't need snacks, but we were getting them anyway, and then we stopped and kind of poe so to give the group on the Trama thrill. They didn't recognize either one of us.
Speaker 8: We both felt so awful.
Speaker 16: We got more snacks than we even originally wanted.
Speaker 1: Sean Gunn as Kirk, how do you even explain the character of Kirk?
Speaker 22: Well, I'm I'm fortunate that I I read this great piece in The Atlantic. I should be I should shout out to the writer's name, but I don't remember her name the top of my head. But it explained it way better than I ever could. Where they were. She talked about Kirk as a man child, And you know, I always looked at him as being a guy who who who like obeyed the rules at all costs, but would would also would also duck them when necessary.
Speaker 5: Like I don't I don't know how I thought.
Speaker 22: Of it, but but when you think of Kurt as like a nine year old and a grown man's body, it all adds up, right, you know. It's like when you think of him as it's like, oh, this is like a little kid.
Speaker 23: Who both he's like he'll he'll lie if he needs to, but not in a bad way, only because maybe he thinks he's not going to get caught.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 22: And yeah, I think Kirk is you know, a grown man who lives alone in his mother's basement.
Speaker 4: Like what, he.
Speaker 1: Very very entrepreneurial.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it words everything like.
Speaker 22: Him all the time, you know, like what, whatever you expect of me, like, I will do it, and also I have to do it or I'll get in trouble.
Speaker 1: Rose Abdu is Gypsy. You got to do some pretty pretty intense scenes with Milo. Tell us what it was like working with him.
Speaker 24: I just remember he bugged Gypsy so much like Gypsy has no love for Jess as you well know. So of course, because I'm such a method actor, I have no love for myla. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I actually I remember saying to him, you really have like a young James Dean quality. And he was like, God, everybody says that to me.
Speaker 1: What a horrible somebody.
Speaker 10: How could you do that?
Speaker 12: I yelled at him.
Speaker 24: I yelled at him and said, you should be thankful, you should be thankful that people compare you to James d.
Speaker 2: He was terrific.
Speaker 24: I mean, he was so I felt like he was so in character all the time. You know, he really was fantastic. And I love the one where you you come to ask My favorite episode is you come to ask me about the car, and that's where that guys are stupid lying and I go, no, but he had a bag with a dollar sign on it or something like that, right, and that scene, I had to a nineteen marks to come out on the underneath the car and take the wrench and go over to the thing. And you were so nice to me. But we really got it done fast. But that was one of those ones, like you said, with him, that could have gone horribly wrong where we really like.
Speaker 1: This cast is so gifted and really it's like colored tape.
Speaker 24: On Oh my god, you guys, there's so much tape on the floor. You have no like and everybody, every character is a different color. So you have to hit your mark because if you're like, if you're standing with the wrench here when you should be here, the whole thing has to go do.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter how good your performance is. It's like, uh, Scott, you missed your mom about four feet, so we're gonna have to go again. Janet Hubert is Michelle's mom, Giselle, So you were Michelle's mom. What do you remember about Yanik?
Speaker 25: I remember that it was very lovely, very lovely young man, very handsome. I said, oh, I have such a hands on nun, and so I had to do this sim you know. So it was, it was, it was. It was something that we learned to do, truly odd and so I was. I have a knack for accents. I remember the set being very well run, very professional, but I don't remember much about it, to take the truth. I remember the discussions that we had. I remember the wig, I remember the hair, I remember the look. I was trying to find it on Hulu, but I was going, where is it when you do one episode? And I saw where somebody wrote Janet Hubrett was a queen of one episode. I was hoping that they would bring her back. You know. I know that she didn't know enough about her son as much as she thought she did, or she wasn't as attentive of a mother as she should be, which my son accuses me of all the time.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, okay, whatever.
Speaker 1: Scott Cohens, Max Medina, Scott, what Scott, Scott, what's with touching? Well, so there was a lot of touching.
Speaker 8: What what.
Speaker 26: This is twenty years ago, man, a different time for me.
Speaker 1: It's been forever. I never saw it. It even wasn't even aware. But you you, my friend, you know, we got to talk about the touching because the touching, I mean you were like you were rubbing her elbow with your thumb.
Speaker 6: This is this is with Loralai.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 26: This is this Maxi Medina's charmed I mean, you know, he was in love with Lourai. He was, you know, any any way he can get close to her, he would get close to her.
Speaker 1: Man, boy, did you ever I mean talk about a full court bress nice man, you were going and you were going to the hoop strong.
Speaker 17: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't don't think you'd be allowed to do that these days.
Speaker 26: I mean I think you you would need permission to, you know, to kind of create that. But I think that, I mean, I do think that that. I don't think it was manipulation. I think that it was you know, you know Max's honest feelings about Laurel I, and you know he really fell deeply in love with her and just really wanted to be close with her in any way. That again, and if she accepted it, then you know it was all good. It was not you know, there was not an issue.
Speaker 1: And she defended very well. I mean she she denied you denied, you denied you. This is not a good idea, my daughters. You know, she she you know, she she walked the high road, if you will. But man, you just the rubbing thumb on. You just kept you, just kept kept going.
Speaker 26: I said, there is there is no high road.
Speaker 1: There's what's what's am I talking about Vanessa Morano as April and Nardini? So you kind of did realize the impact of your character would have on the show at the time before you when you were auditioning.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I knew. I don't think I knew how how hated she was going to be right right. I knew it was going to be an upsetting storyline. But like, I don't know, Jess broke up Dean and Rory and no one seemed to hate him.
Speaker 1: So tell us about the blowback you got from fans when you were out in public. I mean, tell us about the most severe cases, good or bad.
Speaker 14: I mean, it wasn't good, it wasn't great. You know, when I was out in public, I don't know that anyone said anything too horrible, Like I think when you do see a person in person and they're a child, you have a little bit more of a filter. But people would say like very veiled things like oh, well, you're more okay than I thought you would be, that sort of thing. But the online backlash, oh yeah, crazy. And you know, thankfully this was before Instagram and Twitter and all that stuff, but there were still like blogs and like television without pity and and really actually like publications too that were reviewing TV shows that were just horrible and like hating me, hating my performance, hating my voice, hating the way I looked.
Speaker 5: It was just.
Speaker 14: Awful, awful, awful, awful. However, I'm very grateful for it because it made me at that time, especially because it was my favorite show. So I was like, oh, well, the creators of this show, Amy and Dan, who I like value and like look up to think I'm good and keep using me. But the rest of the world doesn't, So like what opinion matters more in this moment and really kind of put into perspective like you can't please everybody, and like, are you just proud of the work that you're doing? Years and years later when I ended up on a show called Switched at Birth, which was a show that I was a lead of, and I was like one of the youngest people on that show. And that was right when Twitter and Instagram were starting to happen.
Speaker 5: I ended up being the.
Speaker 14: Person who was like, hey, guys, don't look at the comments. It will drive you crazy, like all of a sudden, an eighteen year old telling people who are like in their late twenties being like, no, trust me on this one.
Speaker 5: From personal experience.
Speaker 1: About yeah, so as it softened over the years or oh no.
Speaker 14: You know about two years ago, I opened up my phone and you know there's news articles, things that are going on in the world. Two years ago there was a pandemic. There was a BuzzFeed article that came up that said most hated television characters ever.
Speaker 1: Oh no, my face, Oh my face.
Speaker 14: Scott I beat Joffrey from Game of Thrones.
Speaker 1: Ted Rooney as Morey Dell. So listen, Mary Dell husband, Okay to Sally Struthers, Bebbett or Babbitt, whatever you want to call her. Did you love working with Sally?
Speaker 2: What was it like?
Speaker 8: Oh, first day, little hint, I know who Sally Struthers is.
Speaker 5: Very well.
Speaker 8: We're sitting on the set together next to each other. It's first time. I'm just I haven't even officially met her. We're just sitting right next to each other. And she goes, huh so hot, and I said, yeah, not like the Portland days, huh. And she did one little double take and looked at me and said, are you Ed Rooney's son? And she totally got it right away.
Speaker 12: My dad was.
Speaker 8: One of her favorite teachers in high school here in Portland, Grant High School.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we always had it all in the family picture up in his office that was signed by Sally Struthers. So we were very well acquainted with who Sally Struthers was. He was Grant's rock star. And so to sit next to her, I just couldn't I was like a kidne the candy store. I couldn't wait to, you know, let her know. And her reaction was priceless. She just one breath. You're in Rudy's said, aren't you. Yeah, So of course we're, you know, fast friends after that. Yeah, And she comes up to Portland once in a while, and so she we've had her over for tea and she's she's my son Abes fairy godmother. Yeah, she agreed to do that for us. Yeah, great, she's great.
Speaker 1: Scout Taylor Compton as Dean's little sister, Clara. What was it like working with Jared? Did you guys click right away?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 16: We did.
Speaker 13: Jared So, Jared's such a.
Speaker 11: Special human, he really is.
Speaker 7: He made me feel like I was actually like his sister, you know. He made me feel like very welcomed. And he knows how to you know, he knew how to work with younger people. I almost worked on Supernatural with him, which would have been really cool reunion, but that didn't happen. But yeah, it's he was such a good guy to work with, really good. As much as I'd like to say I was team I was probably Team Jess because I had a big crush of Milea at the time.
Speaker 1: Oh you were the one, oh, I said, because I couldn't figure out who it was because nobody really likes him. Yeah, that was me, That was you. Okay, now we go. What were you?
Speaker 14: What team were you?
Speaker 7: I'm sure you've said it so many times.
Speaker 1: Well, I was always Jess and then I said team when when when Jared came out with this campaign. Uh, because he suffers from a little depression and he was helping other people that suffered from depression when he came out with that, you know that that very thoughtful and very effective campaign to help other people. That then I sort of became in twenty fifteen, I at at X I I said I was team Jess. I mean team Dan. Sorry, okay, because I just I just wanted him to feel a little better that, you know, he had my support, not that it really mattered to him.
Speaker 16: Yeah, ok so an f y.
Speaker 7: I I was always team Luke, so there you go.
Speaker 1: I was always and I was always team Clara too. I was always like, you know, that's you can have.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 1: Adam Wiley as Brad Langford. What was it like working with Liza?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, she's I think as as you as you were aware of the audience may may or may not be. She's like the nicest person in the world, which made it so much more fun because I felt so safe in the environment. She was so wonderful. I remember accidentally, one time, I think it was the season three wrap party, I accidentally smacked her across the face. It was an accident, like, okay, so here's here's the story. There were abetat just being passed around and I grabbed one and I went to turn and she happened to turn around at the same time, and I accidentally like.
Speaker 1: Ran into her with my end and I was like, oh, I'm so sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: And she's and I think she said, no, it's okay. I think I deserve it, and then she smacked me back in such a funny really and it was so it was such like a great moment that I only think her and I shared and no one else saw. That was just perfect.
Speaker 1: That is That's a wonderful story. Thanks for joining us to celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary of Gilmour Girls, and remember, no matter how much time goes by, we're always all in. Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.