Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Friday, October sixth to twenty twenty three, season nineteen, episode number forty seven. Welcome to the late edition of The Break, live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. Got my normal crew minus one, but we've added one.
Speaker 5: Nick Jrs.
Speaker 7: Is joining us today from Talking Cowboys. You'll be in for Patrick. Patrick is out today, so.
Speaker 5: He'll get to give you some of his opinions along with us as we get ready for Cowboys Versus Niners.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm already for the ready for the mess that they're going to talk on Monday on the Talking Crew. They're not gonna like this, They're not gonna like it.
Speaker 3: I'm on here.
Speaker 5: You know what I always tell them. I always tell im it's your opportunity to move up to varsity.
Speaker 9: Like you just gotta maybe so maybe i'll God did a great shop with us on one O five three the Fan yesterday and the j Back Nation appreciate you coming on it and providing some insight to a crew that has really no direction.
Speaker 10: We're poor question askers, and you did a great job at handling all those shit.
Speaker 5: I heard that.
Speaker 7: It was actually a really good interview. I texted you after this a really good interview. But for those that don't know, Nick, Nick is one of our newest writers.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't call you knew anymore, but one of our newer writers.
Speaker 7: And before this, you were covering high school football, covering recruiting into college that kind of stuff.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, So four years covering college football recruiting with Rivals in twenty four to seven sports, my last show at Rivals, I was a national analyst covering six states Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, New Mexico. I can still ride it off. We're still going right, but yeah, all six of those states and just staying on top of those kids and then scouting them and typically whenever you see the three four five star recruit, I was the guy that was doing that. So whenever those two stars get drafted in the first round, you can come bigger at me. I'm the one that you need.
Speaker 10: So you always made me feel a lot better about LSU's kids, and as they were coming in and when they started to play, I'm like, so that's where I need to bring to blame you that right, So if they don't tackle, well, I'm like, Nick had this guy is a four star guy.
Speaker 3: What's the deal.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna take Harold Perkins to the bank though, because that takes one.
Speaker 3: But poor kids probably gonna leave Lsue.
Speaker 10: He's gonna after playing defense the way LSU does, He's probably like, I think there's some place Sales I need to go.
Speaker 7: To this And I mentioned that because for those that don't, Nick is a great follow because he's always drops a little nutting little nuggets to players around the league and what they were back in college and maybe even back to high school. You knew a lot of players back when they were coming into the college. Uh So, so it's really really good follow So if you guys don't following Nick, make sure you go check him out on Twitter.
Speaker 5: All right, so here's here's what we're gona do. We're gonna start with some injury updates.
Speaker 7: The injury report looking kind of clean, especially in the offensive line position. But there's still all those guys that were limited yesterday to Mont Clark, Peyton Hindershot, Malie Cooker, Michael Parsons.
Speaker 5: What do we know about them at this point?
Speaker 8: Yeah, as far as I know, it sounds like at least on the offensive line front. And Jerry Jones just said it on the fan right before we hopped on. It's quote looking promising that all five will be ready to go. Obviously, you have to get through two hurdles, one being today and then tomorrow's walk through. And aside from that, man, I feel like it's only Peyton Hendershot that I'm worried about as far as playing on Sunday. Rico Dawdle was a full participant in practice yesterday. Everybody that we were concerned about coming into the week has started to put together some good practices. So I think Hendershott is the only one in my mind that I expect to not go on Sunday.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think, you know, the thing that the offensive tackle situation just never know because you feel like everything's kind of put together. But I think there's a little gamesmanship with the injury report. But I also believe though that if they could just get through these next couple of days with Tyron Smith, you might get all those five guys back. And I think, as we've talked about really all week, it's going to be important to be able to have Tyron Smith, who I feel like has played really well even past protection wise, the first two games. To have him out there on that left side, I think would be really important and a great thing for the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: I think I read it yesterday that the last time this full offensive line was together was the President the playoff game against the Niners, not last year, the one the year before that. My question for you guys is do you think that when this offensive line is fully staffed, when they got their starters, how good?
Speaker 5: How good can they really.
Speaker 8: Be a top five in the league? I think easily. You got all those all pros up there, all that experience, and Tyler Biondi specifically coming into this season, man his pre snap diagnosis and what he's been able to put together from a mental standpoint, it's helped that new offense completely from top to bottom. So he's taking a step forward. Terrence Steele. Obviously, they into literally brought into what he's what he's been able to do the last couple of years and into his recovery, and he looks just as good as he did pre injury, coming and coming through these first four games. So I really like that offensive line when it's at full strength.
Speaker 11: And I've mentioned before how I've been wanting them to use Dak in the running game more. We haven't seen that yet that much, but if they had everybody in there, I would feel more confident that they would start allowing him just to run more free and be a little more free in getting out in the pocket, out of the pocket, and just having all these very solid guy that individually they all look good, but once you put them together, we haven't seen that just yet. But I just think that in everything, I agree, they could be one of the top offensive lines in the NFL all together, but it would just be we It's a dream. It's a dream that I dream about, but it always gets so complicated because then something else pops up on there. But I did want to mention talking about injuries. I know Micah Parsons is not It doesn't sound like anything serious, and he's just on there right now as limited with a knee. But it's just one of those that as soon as I saw it pop up this week, I'm my damn it, Like this is not the week for any type of limited for a guy like Cam. Again, he sounds like it's gonna be fine. He's gonna be played playing out there the whole time. But you want him at one hundred percent for sure this weekend.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is the type of game in circling back with the offensive line. This is the type of game that gets you a notoriety because everybody in the league. If you start to talk about the best defensive fronts in the NFL, San Francisco's name is either mentioned first or second. So this is the type of game where if you go out there near the Cowboys and you have success, you block this front, you handle you know, Terrence Steele and others handle Nick Bosi, you're able to. I think you're better equipped inside to handle those two defensive tackles. Tyron Smith on the outside. You know, you get Schoonmaker and.
Speaker 3: These guys block and Ferguson blocking.
Speaker 10: You know, if you find a way to have some success and you find a way to win this game. Then then the narrative turns into well, look at Dallas's offensive line. Look how well they played. You know, maybe you have them as a top five. Maybe now they're number two, three, somewhere in that a little bit. These are the types of games that get you that notoriety for you know, all pro bids, pro Bowl bids, however you want to play. You go out and you block this front and you win that game. It goes a long way to giving you that confidence of just going out because I don't think you're going to play a better one. They're going to be some other ones that are challenging the Philadelphia one twice. We'll see what happens with the rams and stuff. But you were dealing with one of the elite defensive lines in the league, and go out and block them, and you'll get that note or that you deserve.
Speaker 8: I feel like this game is a litmus test top to bottom in all position groups and just the matchup itself, but especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Because this defensive line for the Cowboys, we've talked about that there's a really big opportunity for them to generate some big time internal pressure right. They were able to do that against the Patriots, so I want to see them bring that back against the forty nine ers and try to get some guys like oh, said Kizuwa, going back in this pass rush good be an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pressures will be from os.
Speaker 10: I think was what you see when you start to talk about Micah. Mike is not going to miss a game that where Nick Bosa's involved, because there again, here's your comparisons. It's going to come down to, Okay, who is the defensive MVP this year. You know they're gonna mention Nick Bosa in this game, and they're gonna mention Micah Parsons. You know, Michah Parsons is going to show the world and try and prove on this stage. He's already one of the elite players. We all know that. But when you start to say, well, hey, Nick Bosa really wasn't great. Michah Parsons had two sacks and pressures and all that and stuff, these are the games you look at. These are the games where Micah rushing against Trent Williams, you know, rushing against mckivitts, who I think we've talked about.
Speaker 3: This is probably the weak link.
Speaker 10: But take advantage if you're Micah, because at the end of this, when they start handing out the hardware, they're going to go back and look at games like this and they're gonna say, and that's where the highlights are going to be him rushing against the forty nine ers and causing havoc.
Speaker 7: All right, so let's look at this matchup a little closer. I have a couple of questions for you, guys. I want you to take these three names of defenders for the forty nine ers, and I want you to put them in order of the biggest problem or biggest potential challenge, down to the challenge you think that the Cowboys should be able to manage much easier. Okay, the names are Nick Bosa, Javon Hargrave, and Fred Warner.
Speaker 3: Most to least how the Cowboys will deal with them.
Speaker 7: Yet like that most the hardest one to deal with, the hardest one to deal well down to the easy one to deal with.
Speaker 5: I'll understand that all three are a challenge for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no kidding, I'm sitting here. All three could be one. I'm gonna go one Nick Bosa to Fred Warner and three Javon Hargrave for specific reasons, and it's more so matchup based. You look at Nick Bosa probably going to be lined up with Terrence Steel quite a bit, So that's a little bit concerning in my eyes. But it's an opportunity for Terrence Steel to really step forward and show that he can be that guy that can stop these type of players, these type of All Pro Defensivelayer of the Year type candidates. But it gives me the most concern of the three two with Fred Warner, just with his athleticism, his ability to get downhill. I think the run game is going to be huge to establish in this game, more so than any game we've seen so far with Tony Pollard. So if Fred Warner is filling those gaps and he's doing his job there, that's going to make things really difficult for the entire offense. And I put Javon Hargrave three just because I really like what that interior offensive line has been able to put together when all three of them are on the field, so I feel like they can at least hold him in check. But it's still worry. All three are still worry.
Speaker 3: He got it absolutely right.
Speaker 10: It did in the way the matchup, you would worry about his steel and then the next one would be can you block the can you get somebody second level to get the linebackers taken care of? Him and Greenlaw both are going to be ones that they play downhill. They play in a hurry. They get to the outside. You can't be a step late. These guys are going to find a way to finish. I love the matchup all day. If this, if it holds true to how the forty nine ers play, you know you're gonna see Armstead against Zach Martin and then Tyler Smith on the other side, really against Hardgrave.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like the matchups inside.
Speaker 10: I think the Cowboys are better equipped in this game than they were in the playoff game when you had Connor McGovern and others trying to deal with and hard Grave wasn't there. But just the guys that you're able to deal with, the one on one matchups. The one that could be the struggle for him is Terrence Steele. That could be the one.
Speaker 11: Anyone. Even the backups that are on the bench are scary to me. So like right now, you can talk about any single match up and that's gonna be tough, especially when you've gotten to games where they've been so close. And it's the offense, and we talked about it yesterday, the offense not being able to really get in the end zone and capitalize. What really scares me is them not being able to take a step forward in the red zone. These guys being a problem for them against them in the red zone, because last week, last weekend, we saw little progress. It was a small step into the right direction in improvement. But it's tough. It's stuff when you've been struggling in that area and then you're facing guys like these defenders that are gonna be make it even harder for you. So it's gonna be a tough challenge. And that's what I'm most concerned about these matchups, especially in the red zone.
Speaker 7: I will throw this out there real quick, speaking about the red zone. Patrick sent me this information earlier this morning. He had done some research. He had talked about earlier in the week what the red zone looked like, and I asked the question, what is the footing defense look like in the red zone, and he said it, Actually, it's one of those situations where if this is the weekend for the Cowboys to get right. This is a weekend to do it. Because the forty nine ers right now are ranked twenty third in the NFL in red zone defense. Talk to yeah, right, so they're only there's sixty six percent six.
Speaker 11: The other teams that they faced. Where are the other teams?
Speaker 7: Which for the Giants, they're not good offense? Yeah, but that's the thing, they're not good offense. So you would you look at that and be like, man, no, it's those bad No.
Speaker 11: No, I'm trying to say, sorry, sorry, I'm trying to say defenses on the other teams that the Cowboys have already faced in the weeks leading up to this. So what I'm trying to Oh.
Speaker 3: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 5: How I got you?
Speaker 11: How relevant is where this defense lands in red zone defense compared to what the Cowboys have already faced?
Speaker 5: Make sense?
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, you're saying, you're saying, where does where the and the Patriots Arizona.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I assume it's.
Speaker 7: Been helped by the fact that they played the Cowboys, and the Cowboys weren't good in the red zone, right, so that's probably helping them a little bit. But if you just compare the defenses overall, like San Francisco has a better defense than any of them, and they are red zone is one area where they have not been great. So if this is the weekend again when the Cowboys could maybe get right, it looks like this may be the weekend to do it.
Speaker 8: Here's this is touchdowns only on being able to convert in the end zone number one in the NFL, New York Jets and defending that. Let's see, we had sixteen the Giants, where's Arizona and New England Patriots at thirteen? Arizona at seventeen?
Speaker 11: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: And Arizona was the one that really gave you problems? Yeah, you know, that was.
Speaker 10: The one that to me, I felt like there were that was more about how Arizona played than the issues that you had. I think to when I the tip balls, the missing blocks, you know, holding call and you know there's some things that have been self inflicted against Arizona was the one team where it felt like that they always had one more guy in coverage or at the ball than you had blocked. That just didn't feel like a very good red zone effort from the Cowboys that that day. I think it was more about Arizona the other ones. I feel like the Cowboys were the ones that kind of hurt themselves with their red zone offense.
Speaker 7: YEA one more thing I'll point out real quick. We mentioned Terrence Steele and that being a matchup that's a bit of a concern. Last year Nick Bosa had he had a pretty good day against Tyron Smith. That wasn't one of Yron Smith's better days, and he was over on the right side. So again, Nick Bosa can be a problem. And so I look at this and I agree with you, guys. I think that's the matchup that is most concerning for me. Now it's the same thing on the flip side, on the offensive side of the ball. I'm going to give you these five names. You can probably guess them, and I want you to put them in order of most problem to least problematic. Deebo Samuel, Christian McCaffrey, George Kittle, Brandon Aiyuk and Kyle yust Check.
Speaker 8: Okay, let me think if I can remember all five names here. I'm gonna start with Deebo Samuel. That's the one that is concerning me the most going into this week for two reasons. One, typically whenever he doesn't get active in a game, which he did not in week four, they feed him in week five like that, there's a trend for that.
Speaker 7: I was able to go try right because they're like, we got Dallas next week, let's just put him on the shelf a little bit.
Speaker 8: Zero receptions and I believe it was one rush for six yards. They didn't use him at all last week, So going into this week, I think there's gonna be a huge emphasis on getting him the ball. But also with his speed and size and strength, all of that combined, where he can align anywhere in the receiving core out of the backfield, he's a problem.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 8: I'll put McCaffrey for obvious reasons. This run defense, it's gonna have a big task in front of them. Layton vandersh had an awesome game against the Patriots and defending the run. I need to see that again. I think that's gonna be the most thing. The thing I look forward to the most is from Layton van der Ash three. You said you use checking Kittle. Yeah, I'd probably go I'd probably go ayuk Kittle use check, but you check is still gonna be a problem. Like, don't get me wrong, you know, I love my fullbacks. They're gonna be he's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went.
Speaker 10: I went McCaffrey, Ayuk, Samuel Kittle and you check is how I went. And I just feel like, to me, the things that you could do with McCaffrey, his ability to his he could score from anywhere on the field. You hand him the ball, you throw him the ball on the screen, you put him out wide, all the places that he lines up, he's a mismatch that way. They try and they'll switch receivers, they'll put him outside and somebody inside, just so a linebacker has to go out with him, or you know, they'll they'll try and find ways to create opportunity. The one that the one that the Ayuk one is to me more about if you get pressure. Every game that I watched, it appeared that that party was trying to find Ayuk when there was pressure. And if Dallas can generate pressure, give me the guy that's going to find ways to get open. And I think that's why Ayuk. I think Samuel's a little banged up with the ribs and stuff like that, but he'll he'll probably play well.
Speaker 3: Kittle is man.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was hard for me to put him for but that's where we're at right now, and you check. I mean he could have been up on the list too. Follow follow eighty five and forty four. You can usually find where the ball's going. That's that's how I kind of look at those two guys.
Speaker 11: I think for me, I would go first with McCaffrey just because that has been the Cowboys, yeah area of trouble, just stopping the running game, and I think he is a very talented player and he's going to give them a little bit of issue, I believe. Then I would go with Kittle. Then I can't say Kyle.
Speaker 8: I'm not even the full back, full back, full.
Speaker 11: Back, just because the game kind of similar to the Running Knives. Yeah, so I think I would put him third, then fourth, I have a Yuke and then Samuel, But those the Running Game. I think it's going to be an issue again.
Speaker 8: They did defend McCaffrey really well in the playoff game last year, and I think going into that game that was my biggest concern. I was like, oh my goodness, mcaffrey's about to have a day, and he didn't. So that's what maybe gives me a little bit of hope going into Sunday night, just the fact that I think they're gonna get well.
Speaker 10: He nicked up in that game. Was that a hamstring game or something like that? Was he coming off?
Speaker 3: I felt like.
Speaker 8: He's always nicked up.
Speaker 5: They got in trouble with very much.
Speaker 7: They only had ten carries, and I think this year he is way more part of their offense than what he was.
Speaker 5: When the Cowboys face.
Speaker 3: They're talking about him like MVP.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's playing as well.
Speaker 11: Also, if you're the coaching staff over there, you're looking at the Cowboys and their weakest length and looking back out Arizona what happened, Yeah, yeah, and kind of saying, hey, we got this guy and let's use him a lot more this time around the.
Speaker 10: Way that San Francisco blocks is very similar to what you see with what the Arizona Cardinals and the way they try and do the down blocks and kick guys around the around the corner.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I would go with McCaffrey first. I agree with you Amber on that.
Speaker 7: I would actually put Ayuk second because I mentioned this yesterday.
Speaker 5: His catches in that last game.
Speaker 7: He had twenty twenty yards, twenty five yards, thirty four yards forty two yards, eleven yards, sixteen yards like he was making big chunk plays. And that's another thing about this defense that I think has not been talked about enough is they will get into games and they will lose receivers and they will give up big plays.
Speaker 5: And that worries me a little bit.
Speaker 7: His speed worries me a little bit, especially as we were talking about yesterday, some of those deeper crossing routes.
Speaker 5: I'm a little bit concerned about that.
Speaker 7: So I'd put him second and then from there you go Deebo, Kittle, Yust check.
Speaker 5: But they all are problems. Obviously, we know they all.
Speaker 3: Think about it.
Speaker 10: Kittle killed you last year, right, Yeah, but he hadn't previously, he hadn't had really good games, gets going.
Speaker 3: How they match up.
Speaker 10: It's so funny the conversation that we had yesterday real quick, uh, you know, we were talking about how would you how would you maybe handle the receivers. We haven't talked about mcuamau at all. Right, he's been a healthy scratch and you know, and I was on with Vach Lombardi last night on his podcast and talking about it, and he brought up, would you consider playing him? You know, just because of the length and the size and the ability to play. When you start to talk about he gives like a safety, he's a corner. You know, would you would he be a guy that maybe Dan Quinn would throw into the mix now just to match up with one of these forty nine er weapons now because I've got plenty of them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the thing I love about Quinn. Quinn will find ways to get a specific guy in. Yeah, a specific game because of a specific matchup.
Speaker 10: Well, and this is a game I think that Overshown would have been great into. By the way, when you're dealing with the running game and the ability to cover and stuff like that, these are the types of games you wanted to play with him.
Speaker 8: I will say about Brandon Aiyuk really quick. It's gonna be a really big opportunity for Deron Bland. You know, he's come in these first two weeks and he's done mostly he's done his job. This is gonna be a tough task. I think this is gonna be I have a key Matchups article coming out later today. That's that's gonna be one I really dive into.
Speaker 5: All Right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. Gambra has a little game for us. We will have some fun with that. We'll back Dallascowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 12: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 14: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 5: Let's roll back the tape.
Speaker 15: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app.
Speaker 12: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 15: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It is only available in the English language.
Speaker 14: You must download the latest version of the Mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 5: Message Data Raisy apply number FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 13: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 6: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the souldier.
Speaker 5: To cry out?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: Back to the break.
Speaker 10: Hey, Hey, it's game Time, Dallas Cowboys Game Time power by Lenovo.
Speaker 3: Lenovo. That's our favorite people, Lenovo.
Speaker 10: There are buddies over there, the official gaming platform and committee of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now and compete in Madden twenty four for a chance to win two tickets and a VIP experience to a twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys home game. Qualifiers begin on October six and run through the thirteenth. Learn more and register at Dallascowboys game time dot Com.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 7: It is the second second bit of the Breakway lough from the s WBC Mortgage Studios. At the start of this segment, presented by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: All right, here we go. Amber's got a game for us. Amber. Let's go.
Speaker 11: Okay, I don't have a name for it, but whatever, We'll get started. We know that this game this weekend is gonna be a tough matchup.
Speaker 5: Which one Oh sorry, yeah, welcome that one too, that one too weekend.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so we're gonna try to build your perfect player. Obviously this is not possible, but we're gonna just have some fun and try to build your perfect player to play in this matchup Cowboys versus forty nine. Ers also want to open up the text line so you guys can text us throughout the show. In the third segment, so we pick a winner who has the best player. Uh, you can text us at eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. Okay, so this is basically but it's gonna look like and you each have your own little player. You're gonna name the position football IQ, speed, mental toughness, strength, hand eye coordination. You're gonna choose a trait from someone that's currently on the team, but you cannot double dip, so you can only choose one person for one trait or characteristic. And then I'm gonna have you, Derek. I'm gonna start with you, introduce your player, give us a name for your player, your number, and then go through the list.
Speaker 5: All right, I'd like to introduce mister Marcus Benger.
Speaker 7: Marcus Benger is a linebacker, so name fits perfectly.
Speaker 8: Love it.
Speaker 7: The football IQ reminds me of Stefan Gilmour. He is smart, he understands the game. He knows the little nuances and he's able to adjust on the flight of those. He has the speed of Brandon Cooks, because I love not only the long speed, but the quickness, the shiftiness, the ability to use that speed to be able to make things happen.
Speaker 5: He has the strength of Tyler Smith, who is just a beast of a strong man.
Speaker 7: And then he has the mental toughness of of course Dak Prescott. Nothing fazes him. And then finally the hand eye coordination of Trayvon Diggs. When he sees the ball, he gets the ball. That's Marcus Banger.
Speaker 11: Like Marcus Banger, Marcus Benger.
Speaker 8: Okay, hey, we're gonna introduce a Javon Bartholomew number fifteen right here. I came up with that on y'all, Like, all right, position, he's gonna be a receiver. He's gonna have the football IQ of Stefan Gilmour as well. The reason I went was Stefon Gilmour because if he has that ten year veteran or longer than ten years, that veteran IQ that's one NFL Defensive Player of the Year awards, has gotten all Pro nominations as a corner, I want him to have that IQ as a receiver. Speed Cavante Turpin. I was between Turpen and Cooks. I was like, I'll just give it to Turpin. Ye mental toughness. I gave it to Doron Bland just because in any moment that Deron Bland has had to be thrown into the fire, he has capitalized and it has not faced him one bit. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn talks about it all the time whenever Deron Bland is brought up, just the fact that he's even keeled and he's ready for any moment at any time. Strength. I'm gonna give it to the all world strength guy, Mazzie Smith. I think it's a huge reason why he shot up so many draft boards and ended up a first round pick. It's that strength that he does have. Now imagine having Mazzie Smith's strength and route running, incredible hand eye coordination. I'm gonna give it to Ceedee Lamb. I don't want any other guy going up one on one than Ceedee Lamb on this team.
Speaker 3: Like to introduce Pete pork Butt, peak pork but.
Speaker 11: You ain't scary anybody with that name.
Speaker 3: That's peak pork butt part. But pork butt, okay.
Speaker 5: Is barbecue.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm I'm gonna tell you why this is because my guy is an offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: There you go, it's an offensive lineman. I like it.
Speaker 10: But what I did was I took a trait from every offensive lineman that the Cowboys have. I like it, and put it in made one guy out of all the offensive linemen that we have. So good old pork Butt here fifty five. That's my college number, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, in LSU.
Speaker 10: So that's why I wore that offensive lineman here. He's got the football IQ of Terrence Steele. Smart guy reads what's happening in the twist games, does a really great job with Martin when they work Together's not going to get fooled on plays you bring blitzes and stuff. He's aware where to go to the outside. Pick that up football, smart guy. The speed is this pork butt. His speed is going to be Tyler Smith. My guy's gonna have the ability to get out in space and run. We've seen the ability with Tyler Smith to be able to just comes down to the block, gets to a guy quickly. He plays on his feet. I think he does a really nice job with that. The way he plays in space and then he gets down the field is well. I could have used beyondish on that because he'll run down the field and recover fumbles and stuff like that. But I gave the mental the mental toughness to beattish here. I think Beaddish is one of these guys that they put a lot on him. They've asked him to do a lot more with the protections. To set the protections, He's had to battle through some injuries. He's played at a pretty high level, so you have to have some mental toughness to be able to go through that strength I gave Zach Martin here. I think that when every time you watch anybody tried to just rush over the top of Zach Martin. It's we saw it last week with Brentley, the linebacker. He tries to Bentley, excuse me, comes flying in there, He stones him and stops the guy in his tracks. Zach when he gets those hands inside, he's going to throw you around and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Hand eye coordination is Tyron Smith.
Speaker 10: And because when you watch Tyron Smith play, we've all seen those big old knee braces on his elbows and the way he plays. So when his hands, you see a punch, a punch and a control. The way he's it's just like watching somebody box. It's just like counter counter counter, you know, And that's how I think when you play with his hands, he's one of these guys. So Pete pork Butt, your offensive lineman number fifty five.
Speaker 5: Draft like, are these players available?
Speaker 11: Right? All right, Well, I'm gonna have the public, the listeners who are listening right now, start sending in your vote. We have Pete port Butt. Yeah, we have something bang banger mastress, banger, yeah, banger. And then I cannot even begin saying.
Speaker 8: Bartholomew first names absolutely not the.
Speaker 11: Top one right there? Who out of these three players, if we have time, if.
Speaker 7: It goes on our text line actually the text line is eight one seven three eight again eight one seven two nine zero three two ninety like banger.
Speaker 11: Bang, before we go to break, who would you have playing this weekend?
Speaker 13: This is all.
Speaker 11: Of these before we are to break and we'll have people send in their favorite player. But for this weekend, who would be starting?
Speaker 5: To me, I would do the lineback.
Speaker 7: And the reason why I chose a linebacker is because I think, like I look at San Francisco, I think there are a lot of similarities between Dallas and San Francisco. I think the big glaring difference is and this is not a shot at Leyton, but Fred Warner's on a different level.
Speaker 5: Like he is.
Speaker 7: The maybe the best inside linebacker in the NFL, and I think, you know, that's one of the things that sets that defense apart is they have that kind of guy in the middle of their defense. Uh, And it makes a huge difference. So for me, I would take the linebacker because I do think that that would put you in a whole different level if you have that kind of linebacker.
Speaker 8: As far as this game specifically, I probably take pork but because I want Dak to have a little bit more time, So I'm gonna go with Brian.
Speaker 5: Where did you put him on the line?
Speaker 8: That's a let me think what did he have the strength of you said of Zach Martin. Of Zach Martin, then yeah, I want him right there at right guard, then.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think so I uh man, I I'm gonna I think uh Banger's the guy because I like what Derek did with the uh talking about on defense if you had somebody and again he's absolutely right. This is nothing to get to cowboys have playing linebacker, but forty nine ers have difference makers at linebacker. They really do. So if you gave me a guy that has all those characteristics and traits and man that look, you give me ray Lewis right here, that's like a finisher right there, and the guys can make a lot of play and he turned down ray Lewis a lot of bangers.
Speaker 11: A lot of bangs on the field. All right, Well, thank you guys so much for playing this fun.
Speaker 7: Hey, so far we've got three three people that have chimed in and uh, well, I'm.
Speaker 5: Sorry, we got another one. So it's tied right now. Two for Port but two.
Speaker 8: For Marus Bangerdang, Martha, it was the name, you know, it's not it's not.
Speaker 3: It sounds like royalty over there playing football for you.
Speaker 7: There there's the one guy said the name alone evokes for you talking about Marcus Banger.
Speaker 5: He all right, let's take our final break.
Speaker 3: We'll come back.
Speaker 7: I got some more questions for you guys. We will also get to our picks in the final segment.
Speaker 3: We'll be back.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 12: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 2: But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G.
Speaker 12: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas.
Speaker 16: Take five oil change a proud partner of a Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take Five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 14: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 5: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on.
Speaker 3: And off the field.
Speaker 6: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles and a full line off and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break, I'll tell you this is place that Pete Portbuck's gonna go.
Speaker 10: He's gonna go. He's going to do this Octoberfest for sure. Mark your calendars and get your leader hosen in Stein's ready. Frisco Octoberfest officially returns for their fourth annual celebration on Saturday, October seventh at the Star and Frisco, featuring Bavarian inspired activities, delicious food and drink, and plenty of live entertainment. Visit thestardistrict dot com slash events for more info.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 7: We are in the final segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We're getting you guys ready for Cowboys Versus Niners that happens this Sunday night on Sunday Night Football. We are heading out tomorrow to San Francisco, so she'd be a fun, fun weekend, all right. Chris, our producer, has pulled up some of the text line comments on our players that we crafted. In the last segment, Chris read to some of those, some of the best ones that you've gotten.
Speaker 17: All right, so here we got. We got one for banger from six oh one. Got banger sounds like a real banger from the five seven five.
Speaker 3: Pork butt all the.
Speaker 5: Way from the nine one. Oh thank you.
Speaker 17: Actually, you know something, I got a buff Bartholow you up here.
Speaker 3: There we go, see voted right.
Speaker 17: Actually Jazz says Bartholow, you all the way. I wonder where she prove sits back there, man James from Milan. Pork butt for the run game. There you go, another one, said pork butt to fix our red zone problems.
Speaker 5: Could help. Looks like pork butt is the taking, all right, So.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take pork but number fifty five pork butt.
Speaker 8: Now, what's the contract? Five years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, five man million whatever?
Speaker 10: The official sponsor of barbecue Sauce is for the uh the Cowboys. We can that's what you can pay us in right there.
Speaker 3: The yeah.
Speaker 5: But we'll be at q Fest this week.
Speaker 3: There you go, get your tickets.
Speaker 5: Now, all right, let's let's get some before we get to the picks of the game. Let's get some keys.
Speaker 7: What do you guys think is the biggest key for the Cowboys from the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 5: Score.
Speaker 11: Getting the zone. I mean that would help. I mean, uh, Tony Poller being healthy. I think hopefully that because I think that that was the if I remember correctly, last time, there had some issues with the running game when they last faced them. That's when Tony Poler got hurt and then they had no answers for them. So hopefully having him having a guy like lip Key getting there in the mix, that's your guy Nick getting him in the mix, and hopefully that helps with the running game as well. They haven't necessarily been struggling, uh running the ball all season, but maybe this is the key component that they were missing last time and don't be able to find the way to get in the end zone and score some points. Because I think defensively they can hold up and we've talked about it. The last two times that they faced them, they were able to hold up pretty well. And I believe this defense right now is better than it was previously. It just keeps getting better year after year. So that would be my key.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm right there.
Speaker 13: With you.
Speaker 8: We saw what that offense looked like whenever the running game got severely depleted in that playoff game last year with Tony Pollard going down, I mean the very next play, which is a play that they probably would have run the ball on second two or second and three, with Pollard throws an interception at Dak Prescott does so. In that second half, I mean, things were just not flowing offensively, and it was a big part of the run game not being available. So especially with two more run stoppers in that defense, Yeah, the running game's got to get going. I think if Pollard can run for a healthy seventy eighty yards, then that allows the offense to open up. I think they finally get some points on the board against these guys.
Speaker 10: The first thing it came in my mind was you got to block this front seven. You know, find a way if they're going to play stationary, find a way to get your best matchups and block at the next thing is, don't get fooled with your eyes on defense. You're going to get a lot of motion, a lot of movement. I'm fascinated to see here in this game. Can Dallas defensively make this a one dimensional San Francisco attack. I don't know if Brock Purdy necessarily can beat Dak Prescott in a drop back game. I think I think I think the Cowboys are better equipped to have that ton of drop back game. But if you take away their ability to run the screens, the motions and just make them have to their offensive line protect, I mean, they could say the same thing about you.
Speaker 3: But I just feel like, though, if this.
Speaker 10: Turns into Purty verse Dak and just having to just outright throw the ball every single snap, I'll take my chances with Dak in this, but they've got to be able to block this front seven.
Speaker 7: I'll say this for the offense and key, I really think that I would actually go the route of really leaning on my quick passing game. I actually think a big reason why the changes in the offseason that the Cowboys made to their offensive play call and the offensive system that they are running is because of San Francisco and teams like them Philadelphia, teams where running is very difficult, teams where their pass rush is crazy and they don't necessarily have to blitz in order to get home. And I think when you have a quick passing game, you negate that that's a quick way to negate A pass rush is if you're getting the ball quick. And by the way, I think when you look at that defense for San Francisco, I think the weakness, if there is one of that defense is their cornerbacks.
Speaker 5: Do I think you can get them in.
Speaker 7: Situations where you're hitting them with quick passes. You're forcing them all day to have to tackle, rally and tackle. As you would always say, Brian Right, I want to put them in those situations as much as possible because I feel like at some point CD's going to break a tackle, Michael Gallup's going to break a tackle, maybe Brandon Cooks is Ferguson's going to break a tackle, and they're going to turn into something bigger. So I think really for the offense, I think the key is get the ball out quick and negate that pass rush forced the cornerbacks after rally and tackle.
Speaker 5: Now le's talk about the defen go ahead, Jefs.
Speaker 8: I would say, I think all three of these things obviously they played to go together because you're you're talking about the corners and and there's an ability there to to take advantage of those guys are really physical and they're really aggressive because that front seven gets back so fast. So if you can block those guys up front, you allow some things to happen in the receiving game. And if you can get the running game going, then that opens up everything. So I really think there's an opportunity here. It's not as it's not as bleak as some may think.
Speaker 7: And I really think I personally believe they've got some stuff that they weren't They didn't have to show in these first four games. Mike Mike McCarthy talked about this morning on the fan. Uh, there's some things they haven't had to show because they've had three blowouts in four games, and so there's a lot of stuff left in the back.
Speaker 11: Waiting for it, all this secrecy, and I want to sing, he hides, I am waiting to see it.
Speaker 7: Give me your defensive key, Brian, you get I got Sorry I jumped on that, but yeah, I think it.
Speaker 10: Don't get fooled by all the motion and movement and play action stuff and all that be able to handle their twenty one to twenty two personnel.
Speaker 3: And if you could do that, it gives you a good shot, ye.
Speaker 11: I would say, obviously stopping the run is key, but also those chunk plays that you keep mentioning, Derek, We've seen it happen, even in these blowouts. We've seen it happen where they have allowed guys to all of a sudden, you got Gilmour all the way over there and his guy is like taking off to get into the end zone. So just making sure that you are able to contain that somehow and not allow that much separation. So just don't give up those chunk plays because we've seen that really really hurt you at games.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I kind of alluded to mine earlier in this show, But the middle of that defense generating internal pressure. It starts with Osa Digizuwa just because he's the best pass rusher in that defensive tackle group. And then you got Jonathan Hankins as well as he's going to be a big part of stop in the run. With Christian McCaffrey, Laighton vander ash being able to come down and stop Christian McCaffrey, and then also jay Ron Curst being a limit George Kittle. Kittle obviously had a huge game against these guys back in January. So the middle of that defense, if those four guys can have you know, their best game of the season. In a perfect world, then they win this game.
Speaker 7: All right, let's move on to the picks, and we also have a pot pick we're gonna get to too. Tell me who you thinks are gonna win final score.
Speaker 5: I'll start with you, Nick Man.
Speaker 8: Uh you know I I The passing game is gonna have to get going. The running games is gonna have to get going. But I feel confident going into this this this time around, especially given how the players have been talking this week and how how much more than just one game that this is. That's exactly what Dak said yesterday. So I'm gonna give it to the Cowboys twenty eight, twenty four.
Speaker 11: There's no way that I'm not gonna pick the Cowboys because I think it's been so close and at some point it's got to give. At some point, you gotta be able to come out and beat I hope they get there. And they're aggressive, something I remember very vividly going into that last game in the playoffs. You could notably see the forty nine ers be way more aggressive pre game and in the game they're like you say, Brian, you call them bullies, and they were acting like it, so I hope the Cowboys are angry enough. They've been hearing about this game since the season started, since last year, actually, well since they lost. But I think they win. It's going to be a very very close game. I have them scoring a lot of points. So thirty two to thirty one in this game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I took Nick's score, but I picked San Francisco twenty eight twenty four, all right.
Speaker 7: And I actually think, I actually think, and I've been saying this since earlier in the week, I just got a feeling they're gonna win. Cowboys are gonna win, and I don't think it's going to be terribly close. I think the Cowboys are actually going to go in this game. This is how the NFL typically plays out, is when when you have a team that you think, you know is the better team, but the other team's good, Yeah.
Speaker 5: It can flip on you.
Speaker 7: And I kind of think this is the time for the Cowboys to flip. Asking that same question if they get to a playoff game, and I may have a different answer, but I think this week, I think the Cowboys have circled this game on their calendar when the schedules first come out and I think their focus for this game is going to be right, and I think, quite frankly, they have the right parts. I think they have the right kind of offense to be able to beat them, and I think they have the right players on defense to be able to beat them.
Speaker 5: So I think they win twenty seven to sixteen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this to me is very much like we talked about twenty fourteen, Dallas going and winning at Seattle Seattle. Nobody really gave Dallas a chance to go in Seattle and they physically took it to Seattle that.
Speaker 5: Year because it was a focus for them.
Speaker 3: If they were focused for them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you got to find a way Seattle was coming off Super Bowls and things like that that Dallas does need this game.
Speaker 3: They really really do psychologically, I believe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, real quick, we'll get our pie picks.
Speaker 7: The question this week is the player that you think will have the most receptions either team.
Speaker 8: I've already put my pick in on talking this morning Deebo Samuel, Right, yep.
Speaker 11: Oh you need to give me these. Let me think I've been missing. I've cut it every time.
Speaker 7: Brandon Ayuk all right, number of receptions time they're going to get the catch?
Speaker 11: You know what, Let's go Brandon Cooks involved in there a lot, Let's get him. Yeah, let's Brendan Cooks.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna go with Jake first.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 5: Join us. We will be back on Monday.
Speaker 7: We'll let you know what went right and wrong for the Cowboys till then. For Brian brought us, Amber Garcia, Nick Harris, I'm Derek Eagleson. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.