Speaker 1: I am all in. Oh, Let's kiss you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one on one interview with Lulu. Kirk's girlfriend. Reenie Bell played the role of Lulu Kushner for fifteen episodes from two thousand and three two thousand and seven. She's the third grade teacher at stars Hollow Elementary School and the girlfriend like I just mentioned of Kirk glease in. The first time we saw Renie as Lulu was a season four episode six, and Affair to Remember. The last time we saw Reenie as Lulu was in season seven episode twenty two, bon Voyage. I guess that was the final episode of the series. A Renie aptly named Renie. Why didn't we know that that would have been the last episode given that on Voyage dat Reni also appeared as Lulu in A Year and a Life in the episode Spring in twenty sixteen Little Bio Here. She's been in movies such as Ghost World, The Terminal, Bring It On, Road Trip, Baja Beach Bombs, and jar Headshattered, recurring role obviously on Gilmore Girls playing Lulu. She also has done some voice acting, being in the PSP game Jeanie di Arc. She also voice rolls on four episodes of the animated television series King of the Hill, Ladies and Gentlemen. I present to you, the one and only Renee Bell. How you doing, been a minute, good to see it, Thanks for coming on ating. Tell us how you got into acting and what did the start of your career look like?
Speaker 2: Well as pretty, I don't know. When I was around eleven, I felt like I needed to pick a career. I guess I was just sort of overly, I don't know, obsessive eleven year old, and I did. I had done a couple of school plays and and I made the decision definitively. So I had gone to a like a convention thing like a modeling convention, and had an agent, and I was living in New Orleans. So I started going to New York in the summers and auditioning.
Speaker 1: As an eleven year old or a ten year old that young going to New York to audition, boy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah it was great.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was with my mom. So there were a lot of people doing that, Like Britney Spears was up there and other people that ended up were working and stuff. We're all coming from Louisiana, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's from she's from down that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's from I think kent Kentwood, Kentwood.
Speaker 1: Next time I see her, I'll ask her. Uh, that's an extraordinary way to grow up. Nobody from my area was doing anything like that. So that's kind of big stuff. That's big time talent. So when they recognize the talent in somebody that young, then it's like, get them to New York because boy, you know, that's a competitive marketplace. So if you were up there, you used to have really been showing and displaying some real talent.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: How did you get the role of Lulu? Tell us about that whole process. The agent called you, you went in, tell us about that whole journey.
Speaker 2: I just remember I had a lot I was going on a lot of auditions at the time, and I wasn't booking, and I had this really hardcore manager and I said.
Speaker 4: To her, I need to go to New York for the weekend and regroup, and she was like, it was really hard because she wanted to send me on all these auditions and wouldn't let me rest for a day and so I did it and I came.
Speaker 2: Back and I owned my first audition and it was just a really good feeling, and I booked it. So it was just I needed to clear my head and it was just a good It was a good It was it was good luck.
Speaker 1: And that was the Gilmour audition, and that was Gilmore.
Speaker 2: I remember I was in having like a style inspiration and I was into wearing flowers in my hair and and that worked for the characters. So they they commented on that.
Speaker 1: Who did you meet? Who was in the room?
Speaker 2: First it was casting, It was Mara and Jamie, and then they brought me back with I know that Amy was there and just another sea of faces. I'm not sure who else.
Speaker 1: Actually, probably I was Gavin there, Gavin Polong, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I had been in a few times already on the show, and I was at a point where I sort of made a point on not saying too much attention to what went in went on in the room. So it's just kind of like that was my way of being zen or I would get like over stimulated.
Speaker 1: So so just you probably come in, focus on the reader, focus on the work, get that tile, version. Yeah, I know what you mean. You get you just want to focus in on that reader, because boy, that other stuff can distract you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I remember going in a room once and there sat the reader and then Walter Hill was over his shoulder, sitting at a desk, and then to the left of me was Jeff Bridges, and I just froze. I was like, yeah, this is too intimidating for me. This is what I.
Speaker 2: Would I don't think i'd want to know that. Yeah, I just want to be the character.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't told that they would be in the room. I did not know. And I walked in like all full of confidence and ready to go, and then boom, there they were. And I was like, yeah, I mean I did Okay, I managed to get my focus back, and I'm sure I've been in this situation, but you have to just rally and deliver anyway. Yeah, those those rooms can be really something. So it's good that you focused. So you focused, you nailed it. How did how did you find out that you got the job?
Speaker 2: I think I don't know. I don't really remember. I just remember. Mostly what I remember is getting the calls after, like for the following episodes, and what a good feeling that was to be invited back without reading again or anything like that, and to feel like they knew me and that it was a good match.
Speaker 1: Were were you watching the show before the auditions? Were you aware the show?
Speaker 2: I was aware of it. I think i'd seen it once or twice, but I wasn't a fan. I wasn't someone who watched it. I didn't get into the fans stuff until like nowadays, more to relate to the fans, to know what what they're talking about when they're talking about all these Gilmore topics, and that's been a nice, a nice way to connect with people. It's been really cool.
Speaker 1: So here's here's the big question. The big question is, and because we all know difficult, how difficult he can be, and how temperamental and how angry he can get, what was it like working with Sean Gunn? It's like he I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: That was really funny.
Speaker 1: Sean Gunn is like the most delightful guy in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did a lot of laughing. Yeah, there was a lot of that's a good one. Yeah, I was right, Yeah, that was it. It was easy.
Speaker 1: Do you have any behind the scene moments with the cast that you remember fondly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were. It was always a good vibe. I mean, the show itself is just this like for me, it was just this pleasant little imaginary world, and the cast reflected that. It was very peaceful from my point of view. I liked the Sally Struthers and Liz Torres scene. They were always telling like seventies dance show tunes stories and theaters stuff, theater stories, and the laughter would be like it was just so funny. They're just like born funny people. And I liked one time when Sally went through her enormous purse. I tell this story a lot because it's one of my faves. She just pulled everything out and made a big show what was in her purse. And she had an extra of fork that she would use bury with a lot of bride and she would show it up. She would like harass people across the room with it, and.
Speaker 1: It's really funny. She said. That was very useful on airplanes she did to entertain babies that were crying and upset and right, so she'd go through her purse and she'd pull out like you know, the fake hand or the extend the extend a hand or extend to fork as you prefer to.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: She's amazing. Yeah, the two of the Liz and Sally together, you know, that's when it was the most professional, the consummate professionals, the experienced theater ladies who were keeping this set in an upbeat mood and a lively youth because they knew how drained everybody was, especially Lauren and Alexis uh, and they just injected that energy and that's spirit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just like generous, generous theater people.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, It's like part of their job is to do that, and they I've never seen two people better at that job, you know. Yeah, just to really live and everything up and keep everybody loose and so so valuable to the show. Such great people. When did you hear that that Gilmour was going to do a revival with Netflix?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well I was living in New York and I heard about it, but I wasn't really invited until pretty last minute. So they kind of called me and were like come out. It was like this week or next week or something. So I was so glad to be included. But I don't remember when I heard about it, but rumors flowed around all the time. I didn't know, and then it was at a certain point I knew, Yeah, a few months before.
Speaker 1: It must have been. It must have been a bit anxiety ridden, not you know, did you being feel feeling that maybe you got passed over or something, you know, because you didn't hear me.
Speaker 2: Of course I wanted to be a part of it, but a lot of people were not included, and it was just an enormous cast.
Speaker 1: So who wasn't included? Uh, Shelley Shelley Cole, Yes, yeah, I guess not. I guess not.
Speaker 2: She might not have been it. I'm not even totally sure she was.
Speaker 1: You know, I think Ariel Kebble wasn't either, because we just talked to her and she said she she was really bummed that she wasn't a part of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it was finding a place for the characters to go that made sense, you know, That's all it really was. I guess right. Yeah, So so it was. Yeah, it was definitely a huge treat and so trippy, so trippy to be in that room around all.
Speaker 1: These people and nine years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of it, Yeah, some of the things were exactly the same. Some of the things were totally different, Like it's weird. How often do you have that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, to revisit nine years later, and it was. It was a completely different experience. It was completely different. The sets were different, everything was better, the cameras were different, the technology was more grandiose, it was more ubiquitous. It was. It was just one an experience. Didn't you feel like you were making movies because we kind of were. We were making films. It wasn't television. We were not making television. We were making romantic comedy films.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I can see that now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, I felt that at the time because I would mention to be I said, this isn't television, this is film. We're doing filmmaking right now, this is these are four films we're making. And by golly, I want to be paid for them. Talk about like a movie, you know, full of me with your TV episodes hour and a half episode, good for you? No no, no, no, no, no, you're not tricking me.
Speaker 2: No, yeah it was it was. Yeah, it was movies. Yeah, I mean it was movies.
Speaker 1: They were they played like films, and they were films. I made four films without having to release them in theaters. They released them on Netflix. Yeah, yeah, without without giving away any spoilers. Okay, okay, what was your favorite part about returning to the Gilmore Girls set.
Speaker 2: Oh? I love that it's a little town.
Speaker 5: It's just feels like those the Like childhood, there was this place where you could go have the story books and they were all it was called Storyville and you'd go and it was like you'd play in the actual stories and it's just so on and it was like that brought up that childlike uh lay that it was they really built a town and you're really playing in it, right, right, it's doable.
Speaker 1: Yes, And we were. We were all the little plastic pieces that they moved around so gracefully, so gracefully, a little plastic pieces they moved around. Do you keep up with a lot of casts. Who have you been keeping in touch with?
Speaker 2: Well, it varies. I just had Shelley came to my wedding. I just got.
Speaker 1: Mend Oh my goodness, wow, great, big news, big news.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know that you're just supposed to congratulate the bride, but congratulations. I don't think you're supposed to gradually congratulate the bride.
Speaker 2: But that's a lot of traditions out there.
Speaker 1: There certainly are, and my head is stuck in a few of them, but that one I'm not too sure about. But anyway, that's except that that's great news, that's fantastic. Good for you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: In New Orleans, so Shelley came, didn't really And then we ran into Devin the Yale dude.
Speaker 1: Did, one of the Yale guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like in the French Quarter. We ran into him randomly at a parade.
Speaker 1: Okay, And.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I see Airis around town.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 2: It just I see Valerie Valeries like the great connector of all time. She's the most networking connector of everybody. So I see her because because Valerie is amazing at that stuff. So we stay in touch, right, Valerie Campbell, Yes, I see people around Stan he was a writer on the show.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, he just wrote this Norman Mayler episode or he co wrote it Norman Mailer I'm pregnant, Yes, Season five, episodes six, So it's got I think I remember Stan's name on the credits. Really terrific episode, really funny and really intriguing because now there's a whole new door opening up on this on the show as as Rory's entering the Logan Huntsburger Portal, and we're going to see where that takes it. So it's really exciting and it really gives the show this new life, you know, really really energy. All right, do you think fans recognize you more for Gilmore Girls or Bring It On?
Speaker 2: Bring It On? I had the pleasure of being recognized for both last week. There you go, let's examine the demographic. One was at a I was at a mescal tasting where a young man from Brazil recognized me from Bring It On. And then I was at a groundling show where I was recognized for Gilmore Girls. So oh nice check, so young check.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to play a game called rapid Fire. I'm gonna ask you questions you're gonna fire back. The answer is you ready? Yeah, that's exciting. How do you like your coffee?
Speaker 3: Black?
Speaker 1: Are your team Logan, Team Jess or Team Dean Logan? Who's your all?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right now? I'm like all about Logan. I know I'm always going to be Jess, but Logan, like Logan's you know, he's kind of dig in the dude, Uh, who's your favorite Gilmore girls? Compel Luke and Laurel, I, Richard and Emily.
Speaker 2: Ah uh well just okay, just Richard and Emily, but only because they're older and that's sweet.
Speaker 1: What would you order at Luke Steiner?
Speaker 2: Oh coffee?
Speaker 1: I mean Jackson or Taylor for hounds select man?
Speaker 2: Jackson's the cool one, right him?
Speaker 1: Jackson? You know, Jackson is the is Suki is is Suki's white wife Ski husband. Now you know Jackson vegetables, Jackson with the vegetables.
Speaker 2: I mean I like him.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well he sucks at that job and he's going to but if you like him, you like him. Had your vote matters. You know, he's a wonderful wife and a horrible selectman. There you go. Would you rather listen to help Alien or the Troubadour's cover songs?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: The hep Alien any day?
Speaker 1: Hell? Yeah? Harvard? Or Yale?
Speaker 2: Oh god, you don't know. I went to Yale one time. Wait, and I said, I don't want to say a faux pa, but I spent a weekend at Yale with some girlfriends. Once. It's fun, so.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's gonna be Yale. All right, uh oh, I got wait a minute, Harvard just called. They're really angry.
Speaker 2: I know, probably something wrong.
Speaker 1: And then they looked at their endowment and they said, well they're not. They got over it. What's Rory's bigger mistake? Crashing the car her boyfriend built for her or sleeping with her ex who is married.
Speaker 2: I'm sleeping with her ex.
Speaker 1: Is married, right, because that's like a life crash. That's like driving the car of life.
Speaker 2: Off the road, crashing a heart, that's.
Speaker 1: Crashing two hearts. Really well, it's really good. Who from Gilmore girls? Would you not want to be stuck on a desert island with.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh to find somebody? I don't know. That's a mean Paris. I guess she'd probably getting over grading after a while.
Speaker 1: You're great, but she might save our lives.
Speaker 2: Well, I know she might be very useful.
Speaker 1: She could be very useful. So it would be a brief encounter with an annoying person is very capable to get.
Speaker 2: You right out of there, as opposed to being all entertained but never leaving right.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine a plane coming within five miles and not noticing her, and she'd be screaming at the top of her lung. She'd figure it out. She'd figure it out. Yeah, that's probably a good game. Desert lying which what how would you each Gilmore affect the outcome something in your life? You are all in on.
Speaker 2: I guess my marriage. There you go is the definition.
Speaker 3: Of all in.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there you go. I mean that just defines it. Anyway, Thank you for your time. It's been a it's been a blast catching up with you, taking a little trip.
Speaker 2: It's been so fun. Nice to see you.
Speaker 1: Good to see you too, and good luck, uh with your career and uh, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Be welcome my pleasure.
Speaker 6: Hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh you're Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com, s C O T T y P dot com, Scottip dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee