Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Trend NRD. I've made a palindrome out of the word trend. Miles, Oh, did you just do that? I just did that. My name is Jacob Bran. That over there is mister a Miles Gray.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did it.
Speaker 3: You just turned trend into a palindrome.
Speaker 1: A palindrome, my guy, because we are, according to Bojon Tunglis on Twitter, we are in the era the week of the palindrome. What does that mean? Every day for the next ten days is going to be the same backwards and forwards. Now, when I said that to you guys, before you thought I was like on acid.
Speaker 3: I thought you were saying, like, like energetically, You're like, the next ten days will be the same forwards as it is backwards. I'm like, Okay, at.
Speaker 1: Noon, we'll start flowing backwards around you. No, just the date five twenty twenty five backwards five to zero two five.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh twenty first.
Speaker 1: Though, five two one two five backwards five two one two five, Miles, it works for the next nine days, the length of a week.
Speaker 3: God does that shot out the shout out the math teachers that are having a fucking ball with.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, this is this is gonna blow my nine year old's mind when I show him that fucking teacher got to them already. She's always spoiling my ship.
Speaker 3: What about this isd you know this this pound drum buddy, A man a Planet Canal Panama buddy.
Speaker 1: When we had some downtime, That's that's a good thing about like vacation, is you get like some real boring downtime. That's when I was like, weird, al maybe have you guys thought about right out? And we went through all the pound drums that I know. Also, a man a Planet Canal Panama, Go hang a salami. I'm a Lasagna hug. And then these dates.
Speaker 3: Are making me thirsty.
Speaker 1: These dates are making me thirsty. Miles the big news in travel, I'm about to go.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: First of all, I didn't mention it. Like so, I was out yesterday in New York on assignment, hanging out with super producer an A Josany. I had a blast. She sends her regards to the Zech gang and but I flew in to Newark fucking rolled the dice baby, and I made it. But I was like, really, man, I did not think you were gonna make it. I really was like looking around me as we were like landing, like trying to make eye contact with the people around me to be to be like whoo a little nerve wracking. Huh guys, Yeah, nobody was feeling it. Nobody wanted to talk about the fact that, uh, there was one person working in the air traffic control tower.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Then I think yesterday the fucking at LaGuardia, a flight United flight had to slam the brakes in a board of takeoff because of the fucking air traffic led another plane on the runway.
Speaker 1: Squirrescrew or like a little early scarscre.
Speaker 4: People were like on the plane, they were like, I didn't even know planes.
Speaker 3: Had brakes like this.
Speaker 1: I didn't either. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, they got those little like teeny things like planes feel very top heavy to me. Brands that the plane wheels are actually wheelbarrow wheels. Yeah, it's just rubber. But anyways, Uh. Other other news besides the fact that I survived a trip into Newark, is that Southwest no longer you're you're no longer allowed to have the power banking or overhead compartment. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Apparently, if you've been on a flight, a lot of times.
Speaker 3: If you have a built in power bank, like you've, A lot of the times will be like, can you remove the power bank from the thing that goes in the open because they're worried about lithium batteries going boom boom.
Speaker 1: They ask me if I have any lithium batteries, and I always act offended that they would even ask. I'm like, yes, I would never, And I have no idea what they're talking about or whether I have.
Speaker 4: Hold your fucking vape to your mouth, say that to my face.
Speaker 3: I think that's lithium powered. No, yea. But yeah, so there was there was like a plane caught fire on an air Boossan flight in January, and I guess that inspired Southwest to now alert passengers who are checking in their flights to be like, if you are using a portable charging device, uh, do not store it in the overhead bin. That is no longer permitted.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: They only want that shit out in the open to be able to see in case things catch fire. So yeah, plane safety forever.
Speaker 1: Plane safety, That's what I said when I fared on a plane. Uh, we got some We got a quote from Dona, Thank you, Bay, who has never never chimed in to say a complimentary word. Has just chimed in to say good one on that one.
Speaker 3: No, you're doing it all right.
Speaker 1: Trump had a quote about shoving something or other up all of our asses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's just I don't know. He's giving a speech about like this is him talking to the Kennedy Center board.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then brings up like.
Speaker 4: He's like, we're bringing back family friendly programming.
Speaker 3: Uh. And then he talks about how the Democrats rigged the election, because again, he doesn't live in the same space time continuum as the rest of us. So here's him. He's he's lamenting about how he when in his first administration, he's acting. He's like, I got us the Olympics, I got us the World Cup, and I won't even be president.
Speaker 1: Won't be president.
Speaker 2: I won't I got the Olympics in the World Cup, and I won't be president. And they're gonna forget that I got him. Nobody's gonna mention it because you know a little bit, that's the way life is. And then they rigged the election. And then I said, you know what I'll do. I'll run again and I'll shove it up their rest.
Speaker 3: This is the Kennedy Center Board, is the kenidate? Well, because it's all it's all his people now, all flunkies now, and he's the head of the fucking board. Now. I like that.
Speaker 1: It's like just straight and nervous laughter. What he's like and they rigged the election. They're like a yeah, because like he really thinks they rigged the election. So why are you laughing other than you know, on some level that's bullshit, and you're just trying to appease him and keep a smile on your face the only way, you know how.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's I mean, it's like he's got them in check like Saddam did when he did like a mass killing of that legislative body. And he's like, and some of you have been again and if I call your name, go outside for a price. And it's like, oh fuck, you know what I mean. And now they're just like the ass And it was like, oh.
Speaker 1: I love you so much, sir. Yeah he needs to so well. As we were talking about this, somebody was like is he Brian The editor was like, is he wearing a beret? Yeah? Because that is something like people when they get into their authoritarian error sometimes will have like little stylistic flourishes. Yeah, he could pull it off. Like as his brain is disintegrating, Like I feel like there's in parallel his brain is disintegrating at the same rate that his power is just growing and growing. And like just all the people who would ever push back on anything he says are like disappearing.
Speaker 3: Yes, mister mister president. Those rain boots I think would be lovely for today's cabinet meeting. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Like he's so suit brained, he's so like eight. Like there's that anecdote from when Donald Trump Junior was is in college and he was going to a Yankees game with his dad, and his dad like came to his dorm to pick him up and he had a Yankees jersey on. His dad like slapped him so hard he fell over and was like, put on a suit. I'll be in the limo. He's just so like the only thing that you're allowed to wear is a suit and also tennis white.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I gotta have a white polo and some khakis.
Speaker 1: But still accentuate your big tanker.
Speaker 3: Oh. The other thing is, you know, I think if to that end, he could start maybe wearing like fake military medals.
Speaker 1: Is what we need to get him doing that.
Speaker 3: Man, like real the Battle of DEI I won that.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think like who would have been because I could see him like starting to dress like Michael Jackson Dangerous era, you know, like Michael like he had like just so many different like I think he like had military medals on, like some like leather shit, you know, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, was wearing metals, you know. Yeah, bro, And I'm losing my mind. Welcome God.
Speaker 1: We we need somebody to style his ass, like start going, start exploring the studio space of his power and delusion.
Speaker 3: We see, I mean on it for his birthday bash where they go they're having that whole military parade. That may knock some loose in his brain. He's like, you know, it's pretty cool how those guys are just from the Revolutionary War.
Speaker 1: You know, some one of those try hats like three three point hats. Yeah, just full full Gadaffi as Brian.
Speaker 4: The editor put iteas corpus.
Speaker 3: That's trending too. I forgot to mention that what happened.
Speaker 1: What happened.
Speaker 3: Senator Maggie Hasson from New Hampshire was talking to Christino, you know basically be like, hey, you guys are disappearing a bunch of people and like not even like saying what they did?
Speaker 4: Do you even like habeas corpus much?
Speaker 3: And the this is this interaction is so fun fucking scary and it's it's everything scary, spooky, hilarious, crazy, scary, spool scary spok Do you know what habeas corpus is? Again, that you can't just hold people without publicly stating why they're being held, you know, like that it's like in the Magna carta.
Speaker 5: Even so, Secretary, No, what is habeas corpus? Who? Well, Habeas corpus is a constitutional right that the president.
Speaker 3: Has to be able to remove people from this country.
Speaker 5: Let us spend their right. Let me let me stops corpus.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, that's that's incorrect. President excuse me.
Speaker 3: President Lincoln used corpus.
Speaker 5: Habeas corpus is the legal principle that requires that the government provide a public reason for detaining and imprisoning people. If not for that protection, the government could simply arrest people, including American citizens, and hold them indefinitely for no. Habeas corpus is the foundational right that separates free societies like America.
Speaker 3: Anyway, goes on and she's like, look like Abraham Lincoln, and she goes even Abraham Lincoln, how to get approval for this retroactively? Yes, that did happen, but it wasn't just because like I got the right to do it.
Speaker 1: There was civil war. It was not just because he was on a fucking heater in the mainstream media or whatever.
Speaker 3: Ex So, anyway, great legal mind, it's like, this is such, that was a good.
Speaker 1: That was good, just letting them hang themselves. Who is doing the questioning.
Speaker 3: There, Maggie Hausen, the senator from New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm from the fucking live free or die state, so we kind of give a fuck. I will die for this shit, or at least say I will on my license plate exactly.
Speaker 3: Shout out the old man on the mountain who's not there anymore. The erosion, I think.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Yeah, that for now, we're letting them hang themselves, and maybe in the future we'll just like cut out the middleman. I don't know what that what that could mean, you know, But how are the Democrats doing there? Sure pushing back?
Speaker 3: You know, the resistance cred it goes up and down, you know, I mean, like the few highlights we even have right now, will Win.
Speaker 1: You're saying it in the streets here in New York. I think they must be quoting there's a buzz in the air. Has nothing to do with the Knicks. Yeah, exactly, they're saying, I think Nixon four. But I don't know anyway, but Nason for president. They want more presidents like Nixon.
Speaker 3: What tricky dick back here. But then there's like, you know, Corey Booker's filibuster, but then he kind of shit canned any good will he had by for the people who just signed that crypto bill. Anyway, we'll talk about that probably later this week. And you know, I would say probably the members that like really demanded answers over the kidnapping of kilmar Abrego. Garcia was like, okay, you're there. You go get in physical space, be like, what the fuck is going on? I'm here to fucking check shit out your oversight. So there was another moment a few weeks ago, uh, when a few New Jersey Democrats, including the mayor of Newark, went to an Ice attention facility to do their job of oversight. And you know, again, there's numerous supports that these ICE facilities that are being privately operated and funded with billions of taxpayer dollars are basically these hell holes. They're overcrowded, there's sewage problems, food shortages, people have even been dying. So when these people arrived at the facility, they let the mayor in and then the congress members, and then suddenly they changed their minds and then ICE agents are like, get out here, get out of here. You try. You guys are storming the fucking capital, like I think obviously to create some kind of optics of like they're trying to force their way in and we have to fight these like democrats off who don't know their own constitutionally designated role in the government, which is to actually, you know, check these things out.
Speaker 1: So we're just playing red light, green light. Yeah, you got to like switch it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: So this like altercation, you know, it obviously happened because these people have a lot like legal lawful obligation to oversee what's going on in a federally funded facility, and then they're getting pushed around by goons claiming they have no authority. So this led to a trespassing arrest for the mayor Ross Baraka, and clearly a targeted thing because they fucking let him in. You can't be like, you know, for trespassing. He's like when I said, let me in and then they did, and I was there for an hour and then they switched it up on me. I don't think so well. Now Alena Habba, who's Trump's TV lawyer, is like, now, the acting US attorney for New Jersey threatened to arrest one of the other representatives there, Lamonica mc iver for assaulting a federal officer during like this like like like being like, yo, get the fuck out of here. They're like, get your hands off me. They're like, U assault the officer. And I think Alena Habba knows she doesn't have any kind of case here outside of just harassing mc ivor. Based on how this like, she put out a letter on Twitter, because that's what you do when you're very serious. She put, I take my obligations as a US attorney, SERI I understand the responsibility that comes with my position. I will work diligently to hop the blah blah blah blah. She said.
Speaker 6: After extensive consideration, we have agreed to dismiss Mayor Baraka's misdemeanor charge of trespass for the sake of moving forward. Oh so you're such a kind god, I mean, for the sake of you have no fucking case. Yeah, you fucking mean, and you're trying to like, you know present that is like, I'm actually not bad at my job and don't know, Lah, I'm being kind and I'm doing I'm doing him a favor. So then she goes on to talk about how she really didn't want to charge mac ivory either. She said, quote, I've persistently made efforts to address these issues without bringing criminal charges and have given Representative mcgivor every opportunity to come to resolution, but she's unfortunately declined.
Speaker 3: Is that how attorneys take We've.
Speaker 1: Tried being nice. Yeah, I've tried being nice.
Speaker 3: Tried look you I mean like.
Speaker 1: Abusive husbands taking off his gloves.
Speaker 3: You know, look, you murdered those kids, and I tried to work this out for youbody, I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna have to bring criminal charges, you know how it is.
Speaker 3: I think maybe she probably like, if you apologize publicly or something and are really nice to me publicly, we can make this go away anyway. The reason why this potentially is like a moment is because Hakeem Jeffrey, is the minority leader in the House, has said, like threats by the executive to arrest members of Congress who are doing their constitutionally mandated job will be a red line. So we're here, Hakeem, what now where the.
Speaker 1: Good news is that the red line you actually can move it. The red line is movable. It's like a it's more of a red jump rope that we lay down to be a line. But well, just if things get weird or there's any like pushback, we will be moving it back and backward and forward as we see fit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's head. Oh that no, not that line I was talking about. That wasn't the line I was talking about. That's a different red line for this other thing. It's just that one over there. Yeah, we're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're doing something like there's all so the uh. I think some Democrats are raising the possibility of like all the pressure that's being put on CBS as we're heading into this merger with Paramount violating bribery laws and so they're like looking into it. But it's a matter of like can you make that shit stick? Can you actually like affect pressure?
Speaker 3: It's like the I mean, yeah, they they have the ability to do that in Congress, but like, I don't know if that's the thing that they really need to capture the minds of people right now more than doing.
Speaker 1: Like the legislative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well this is I mean, and these are all crimes, and yes, please try and fucking hold these people to account, but you also need to signal to people like what you you know, potentially you're supposed to be the opposition. Is there anything that people can glean from this? Or is everybody truly on their own? And it might be the latter, but you know how.
Speaker 1: Like that, they're like foul hunting, like a like an NBA player, like a soccer player who like pushes someone and then gets pushed back. It's like oh, fall down. It's and they're like armed officers pushing a woman and then like acting like she's her hands or lava.
Speaker 4: No, they were doing that. They weren't even acting like anything was going on.
Speaker 3: Then they just went over the tape and they're like, okay, yeah, how can we trump up some charges for this person?
Speaker 1: Right right in the as you'll see here his head moves back into the left. Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back and the continued forward march of technology. Remember when like technology, like it wasn't that long ago that people are like technologies, like maybe maybe that'll be like good in the future. There will be some technology now. It's just every technological innovation is just like the our soul state and.
Speaker 4: Roans are still cool man like cool stuff.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, target acquired being designed to like make the police state more leak proof, air tight, and also to replace human workers. It's it's a fun thing that is good for everyone. Great work. But anyways, it was The Washington Post is still a paper that is doing some good work. They broke a story that the New Orleans Police Department has been using a network of two hundred cameras connected to a facial recognition database to like real time track people's faces and locations and whereabouts, basically turning the city into a vast you know, like terminator heads up display, you know, and terminator when they like show it from the POV of the terminator and it's like identifying the person and like all their background. But I think it's like more like because I think the terminator was actually accurate, whereas as we've seen like facial recognition technology doesn't work, So it's probably more like Edge two oh nine from RoboCop. Remember they're like gun machine gun Ostrich.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Ostrich. I always thought of it like a weird crab just.
Speaker 1: Kind of like yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, gun arms yeah yeah, and like accidentally locks on somebody and just shoots him until his stomach flaps up. That blew my mind when I was a kid. I saw that too early, and it's like one of the very It's like my mom's eyes, my mom's voice, and like that scene from RoboCop are like the most ingrained things in my mind. The last things I'll see as I like drift so to my death is like, Yo, that was so hard.
Speaker 3: Wild bro, I can't believe they showed that ship. Yeah. I mean, this is very interesting timing with just the amount of surveillance that's happening, because there's also a port that the fucking FBI just shut down their office that's like an internal watchdog that was made to basically reduce the misuse of national security surveillance. So there's my cash hotel. Just like that office is gone, the Office of Internal Auditing gone. Uh. And this is like while we're in the middle of like do we reauthorize warrantless wire tapping laws? What do we? What do we? How do we? What do we got?
Speaker 1: I think everyone's making too big a deal about this stuff. Man, we just need to see where they're going with this.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you're just looking at regular stuff on the Internet, you shouldn't be worried. Okay, that's what all the people say when they're like.
Speaker 4: Like, what do you care about if you're just doing normal stuff?
Speaker 3: It's fun? Yeah about for oh, reasonable right to privacy, expectation of privacy, Okay.
Speaker 1: Zuckerberg from the start was just like privacy is actually like people want information to be free. And I remember at a certain point being like, yeah, man, it's gonna be good for everybody. Information canna be free. And now I'm starting to have second thoughts on that. And you know, I guess call call me crazy, you know, I guess I'm gonna put on this tinfoil hat, but I feel like things might be headed in a dark direction after these past twelve years.
Speaker 3: Put a Celtics hat on actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, I'm not gonna be able to be on Boosty's hat on. I'm missing Boosties. I do just want to bid a farewell to the Boston Celtics. You hate to see it like I'm kissing goodbye like way too much, yeah, way way too emphatically, getting way too close to their face. But you do hate to see it, and I do. It does suck that it happened. It happened with an injury to Jason Tatum. However, they were already three to one, down three to one essentially when that happens.
Speaker 3: That's actually pretty irrelevant even though relevant.
Speaker 1: And the Knicks, but the Knicks.
Speaker 4: I mean, see, do you see got space in Rakwan do that little kiss.
Speaker 3: Freestyle and no, yeah, this is like what's funny? I think? Great? Is that like with baseball, that New York l a thing they couldn't get the fucking Rappers out to represent like.
Speaker 1: The Yanks, so weird.
Speaker 3: We had, like you know, we had our own vibe here in LA. But when I see this, like it's because the Nicks for the Rappers is the Knicks.
Speaker 1: The Knicks is the squad, all that.
Speaker 4: Energy, it's fucking yeah, blinding.
Speaker 1: I am seeing some wild full body Nicks like jump suits, like just the dopest thing, like people are people have been sitting on the sickest like Nick warm ups from like the eighties.
Speaker 3: Like starter joints.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fu, the subway is just Nick City right now. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like it does just feel like like University of Alabama parking lot on you exactly like it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but shout out to the neck. It's always so much fun when the Knicks are involved at the end of in the postseason. I still yeah, like the last time they made it to the finals, I still remember, like I wasn't even like a big Knicks fan. I was just like so excited that the Knicks were going to the finals. They're just a historic franchise and yeah, what what they're doing with the Villanova dudes and Jalen Brunson just like being somebody who was like a second round draft pick, super tough and just like Wills his team to victory by hitting like incredibly difficult shots. It's a lot of fun for non NBA fans. This would be one that is worth two. It is. The Pacers are really good. But I also didn't think the next we're going to beat the Celtics, So what the fuck do I know? All Right, those are some the things that are trending on this Tuesday, May twentieth. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccines, why you still can't get your flu shots? Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you automorrow.
Speaker 3: Go next bye. The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine.
Speaker 1: Law, co produced by Bee Wayne.
Speaker 3: Co produced by Victor Wright
Speaker 1: Co written by j M McNab, and edited and engineered by Brian Jefferies.