Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and edlave Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. Oracle surges on big cloud contract wins and an outlook that left some analysts in shock.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 2: It's also a big day for Klara, which is getting ready to go public with an IPO priced above the marketing range. And we will discuss with the CEO.
Speaker 4: And we'll bring you conversations from the primary summit right here in New York, everything from AI, tech, sports, investing and more.
Speaker 2: Ed Okay, let's get to our top story. Oracle is having its biggest jump since nineteen ninety two the chart forward. This was a stock that was already up forty five percent year to date and now has massive performance in the year.
Speaker 3: They gave us an outlook.
Speaker 2: For cloud not just for this year, but told us what's going to happen through twenty thirty. Then look at the market cap nine hundred and sixty billion dollars almost one trillion dollars. They have leap frog JP Morgan and propelled themselves into the top ten companies on the S and P five hundred analyst notes everywhere this morning, some of them saying that they are in shock at the numbers that we got. That is the market reaction. What is it the market's reacting too. Let's get out to Bloomberg Intelligence senior software analysts and a lag Rana. There is the backlog right of business, the order book, it's like four hundred and fifty billion dollars. Then there's the outlook for cloud this year, and then there's the trajectory through to the end of the decade. Why is the stock reacting like this? And what was the data that you jumped on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is the order book basically because that audiobook is going to lead into revenue over the next several years, depending on how soon Oracle can get those data centers live and get those workloads in.
Speaker 2: When we talk about AI in the context of cloud, we've been talking about the hyperscalers, and then we've been talking about neo cloud renting GBHU capasitying in data centers specifically for AI.
Speaker 3: Where is Oracle now sitting in that field?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is very much close to what Morviv is doing, basically renting out GPUs to customers to train their models to do inference workloads. It's the same kind of mindset, but the big difference is Oracle has a very high margin software and applications business that can fund some of this, you know, the expansion capacities, because the rest of the neoclouds don't have that. They have to go out and borrow that much money and at a much higher cost.
Speaker 2: This chart that we're looking at, let's keep it up for a second, guy, as if we can. It breaks down the outlook. It's almost like arr but they're basically saying that by the end of this decade there's going to be sick see billion dollars in upside based on what Oracle told us relative to consensus like what we saw happening. Anna Rag, you've built a deep coverage of this company as an analyst of Bloomberg Intelligence. Can you explain materially what has changed for Oracle, what it is they're actually doing in the real world that's driving the potential growth.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing is they are you know, they have their latest infrastructure right now. They were buying chips from Geo Nvidia. They are creating paymental computing for anybody to come out and host their application or if they want to train their large language model or small language model. You know, this capacity is up for rental, and then that's really the business Oracle is in. The big issue is right now there is a massive shortage of this kind of computing capacity, So everybody is trying to get as much computing capacity as they can, so they are rushing to you know, new clouds like Navieers or core Vive for Oracle, Amazon, everybody, and I think everybody to use the is beneficiary here, not just you know, one particular data center. It's just the only thing is Oracle's revenue base in cloud infrastructure was you know, roughly around ten billion a year ago or so in their last financial years, and then compared to let him, you know, Amazon one hundred and twenty five billion or Azure's seventy five billion.
Speaker 2: Just very quickly, Anna Rag, I've known Oracle as a databased software name, and there seems to be of a hard pivot. Is the hard pivot the right characterization?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the hard pivot started, I'm going to be very honest twenty seventeen twenties. I mean, it's it's been going on for a while, but a lot of that was for their own database business, and you know, incomes AI and everybody is looking for computing capacity and they're there to you know, offer those services.
Speaker 2: Anarag stay with us because we have one other piece of news coming out of the Oracle story. After Oracle's results past expectations, it's co founder Larry Ellison has become the world's richest person for the first time, ending Elon masks nearly years long rain in the top spot. Elison's fortune sawed one hundred and one billion dollars as of about ten a m New York time, lifting his total fortune according to Bloomberg calculations and the Billionaires Index to three hundred and ninety three.
Speaker 3: Billion US dollars.
Speaker 2: Anna, Rag, you're staying with us because I want to get back to another story that's top of mind.
Speaker 3: Apple.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, I was in Kupertino at Apple Park. You wrote that iPhone sales could still get a high single digit lift with this iPhone seventeen generation, and like everyone, you are focused on pricing. Build out the rest of your thesis on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so when you look at consensus right now in unit shipments, it's only building in you know, one percent increase of unit shipments and let's say two to four percent increase in iPhone sales. We have a slightly different view. We think the newer model, even though everybody says it's not the best thing out there, but I think it's still going to generate excitement in emerging markets. It's still going to force people that have not upgraded. A new form. Factor is an act of novelty. It's a new thing for people to hold. So you know, giving a unit shipments of three to five percent is not a big deal. And then when you get a price up lift of that, that increases your average revenue per user, and that actually takes it up to the seven eight nine percent that we are talking about for the next financial year, which is f five twenty six.
Speaker 2: I do want to point out that the Decline's and Apple in this session of really accelerated with down almost three percent on a two day basis, down four and a half percent, biggest drop on a two day basis since May. But it's always a sell the news event. And then we'll look further afield on how the handset resonates. How big a factor are the carriers here in the United States in terms of the discounts.
Speaker 5: No, they are very big factors because though those discounts are the one that forces people to go out and you know, go out and get the new phone. Now, what we have seen over the last several years, this is you know, a trend for that we have observed for the last three four years. The refresh cycle is getting extended. There was a time pell the average life was roughly around four years or so. Now that's moving up a little where people are keeping it longer. But if you give them the incentive to go out and get a new phone, you know, you could accelerate that. And the other thing that can accelerate that refair cycle is if they launch any new AI features over the next six to twelve months.
Speaker 2: So here's the question, Ana, Rag, which phone do you go out and get. Everyone's focused on the air five point six milimeter thickness because it's a category in and of itself. Right Samsung has the Galaxy S twenty five Edge. People build this is the greatest hardware innovation from Apple on the iPhone in a long time. The technology matters, Does it matter to you and how you're modeling for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, say, from our side, I think the Pro model gets sold in the US more than anything else. And that's the way you have an inherent price increase of one hundred dollars because the lower memory phone is not available anymore, you're going to have to pick the two hundred and fifty six, you know, gigabyte the phone which comes at one hundred dollars price increased. So that's the one where we think it would be most sold in the US where the benefits are the highest in terms of carriers.
Speaker 2: Anna rag Rana, who leads our research on both Oracle and Apple Bloomberg Intelligence, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Now coming up, we're going to talk to.
Speaker 2: Klana CEO Sebastian shumir Kowski as the company prepares to go public today.
Speaker 3: Caro, what have you got later this hour?
Speaker 4: So much right here in New York City, Primary Summit is upon us. We've got founders, venture investors, but also sports people have become venture investors with us as well. We've got Larry Fitzgerald is going to be joining the conversation and his work alongside Vasu called Karnie, who's of course Courtside Venture's partner. Larry helps advise and thinks about strategy, whether it's about health AI, whether.
Speaker 3: That's the future of sports.
Speaker 4: Martine Mignon of Index Venture is also going to be with us. Really interesting day as we think about the IPOs in fintech. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Shares of buy now, pay later firm Klana are set to begin trading today. The company, in some of its backers sold over thirty four million shares at forty dollars each, giving Klana a market value of about fifteen zero point one billion dollars.
Speaker 3: We're joined now by Klana.
Speaker 2: CEO, Sebastian, SHIMIIR and Koski Sebastian. First of all, congratulations to you, Caroline and I have quizzed you over the years on when an IPO happens, why it happens. I just want to bring you some news if I may, in the time that we've come on air. There's a headline on the Bloomberg terminal that the shares are indicated to open between fifty and fifty two dollars each. You price the IPO at forty. Just summarize your reaction to that and what it means to you on a daylight today.
Speaker 6: I'm happy, I didn't hear what you said on the price or a pretendin not to hear it, so I don't have to comment on it. We'll find out. Like I'm you know, I'm very I'm very much looking forward to welcome new shareholders to the company, and I think there's decades of growth and opportunity ahead of ourselves, So I feel very excited about this.
Speaker 2: Today we introd you as a buy now, pay later firm, but increasingly when you've come on this program, we've talked about Klana is an everything app. How does this IPO reposition you into that domain?
Speaker 6: Well, look, I think that was actually my biggest happy moments from the IPO.
Speaker 7: There were two from the road show. One.
Speaker 6: I got very few questions about buying oppu later and a lot about our card and how it's growing. We've signed up seven hundred thousand new Americans in the last six weeks to our card. We have five million people on the waiting list. But the best part of the road show, I tell you, was when we signed into one to the reception at one of our investors. The guy in the reception said, oh, you're from Clana. He's like, yes, do you use it?
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 6: I use it all the time and I was like, oh, but what can we do better? He's like, nothing, just get me the card. So that was the best moment from the whole road.
Speaker 3: Show, Sebastia.
Speaker 4: It's like a man getting event. When one goes public, you get your name in other people's mindset. Here in the United States, will you go for a banking license? Talk us through where the growth story is going forward?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 6: No, Look there, we have a bank license in Europe, as you're well aware of. We've had it for ten years. It's fantastic, gives us access to deposits. It's a very effective way of funding our banags sheet allows us actually to do it more cheaply than our competitors. But I think the key thing is in the US there's this group McKinsey showed us in a study already ten years ago. They're called self aware of voids. These are people who've tried the credit card. It actually makes slightly more than your low income household and medium houses in household income. They are they try the card, they tried revolving. They say it's it's the product of the devil. They don't want to get in four thousand dollars of credit card debt with you know, twenty thirty percent interest. They love by an appulator, and they love our card.
Speaker 8: They love the.
Speaker 6: Opportunity to put most things on debit and then occasionally put it on interest free installments.
Speaker 3: Very cost effective.
Speaker 6: So that's the target audience, twenty percent of the American households. And you know, now we have twenty six million users in the US, so we're seeing a lot of pickup.
Speaker 4: Seeing pickup, You're seeing pickup in your shares. You are significantly oversubscribed, as we told you, and you chose not to hear that. You're currently seeing shares being indicated much higher than even at they priced at.
Speaker 9: Did you sell too low?
Speaker 4: I know you're a man that's had to stomach variations in your market capitalization in history. What does it mean to you to have a valuation out there in public? More broadly every day cool?
Speaker 6: Look to be honest personally, I'm not selling a single share in this IPO. I am, you know, a long term shareholder. I love this company, been doing this for two decades. It's a long period of time. But fortunately I was twenty three when we started, so I'm not that all yet and I hope to continue for a few decades. And if you're truly going to disrupt retail banking and you know, and change this industry that has you know, a mass so much excess profit because of the lack of competition, the lack of customer focus, and you want to bring that back and you want to create a better service for customers. That's going to take some time, though, This is not something you do overnight, and I just look forward to doing that, and then investors will occasionally lean more into the future and occasionally lean more into profit today and so forth, and that will vary, and you know, it's up to everyone to take that decision for themselves.
Speaker 3: Sebastily.
Speaker 2: The mechanism in this IPO is really important because you didn't raise like a huge amounts of money, and on this program recently we've done all the reporting on some of your peers, like Revolute doing transactions to stay private deliberately. So you faced a choice and you chose to go public. What was the main motivation?
Speaker 6: I think, you know, again, to your point, we only raised two hundred million dollars right in this IPO because the company is you know, self sustainable from a capital perspective doing really well, so there's no real need. I think that the key thing is we've had twenty years of private investors, employees bought into the Star, and over time it became quite an effort to keep track of private transaction in Google sheets, right, So now it's a little bit more efficient to trade the stock on the market. Gives people who's been with us for many decades the ability to get some liquid out, but most people are not selling much. And at the same point of time, fantastic to welcome new shareholders to the cap table who want to join what we're trying to revolutionize in retail banking.
Speaker 7: So I'm super excited about.
Speaker 2: Which you kind of illustrate outline what the competitive landscape looks like to you, who your competitors are, and also the regulatory headwinds that you're bracing.
Speaker 6: For sure, I mean, people will always mention a firm revolute, and we are very impressed by those companies, very inspired by them. But the truth is credit card industry is one point three trillion dollar revenue market. So I would say it's mostly the incumbents, the old banks that are you know, the opportunity and where the competition is and where we can grab tons of market share. And the problem for them is, you know, if you have a credit card program that's running at thirty percent interest and you're revolving people at four thousand dollars, and you look at Klona's payment model where our average outstanding balance is one hundred dollars and zero percent interest, you're not too keen. You don't want to jump into that. You don't want to lose all the profit you're making. But for us, it's just opportunity. It does upside, you know, grab more market share, become larger. It works well for us. We make money out of that, you know. So it's that's what we see as the primary competition on the regulatory side. Look, I think at the core of it, if ten years from now, less people use credit cards and more people use debit cards and occasionally buy an appay later, that's a better that's a better society. And as we get the chance to sit down and take all the noise away from media and so for it to actually explain and show our losses are thirty percent lower than credit cards, our consumers are borrowing much less.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: I had this conversation to add a conversation with a customer. She was like, yeah, my mom called me and she was like, are you using this interesting called binacty lad with Klana And she told her moms like, Mom, you have a credit card?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How much dep do you have? Four thousand dollars? What's your interest? Thirty percent? Which is like, Mom, I'm borrowing one hundred dollars a zero percent interest? Who is financially responsible? And you get those that message across, then you realize that regulators actually start embracing and seeing value in that we're bringing competition to a market that has, you know, extracted excess profit out of customers by tactics that are not in the customer's best interest.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and your tactic in many ways has been to embrace efficiency, adopting generator of AI in the workforce, in particular within the product. How much more can you focus in on margins? How much more are you going to have to keep hiring to scale and to sell?
Speaker 6: Well, the truth is right, we haven't hired people for two years. We've shranked the company from seven thousand to three thousand, four hundred to three thousand people, which is fantastic, but I would say we probably over index a libit on efficiency, and now the last six nine months we've taken much more focus on how do we take all the learnings We've used ourselves as employees as guinea pigs for all these AI software, all these tools, we took out, all the SaaS software to salesforce and all that, and now what we want to do. We want to bring that to our customers. We want to bring that to the immersions. We're very excited in the coming weeks and months to launch AI powered customer retail banking apps that we believe are going to be tremendously more valuable and create more values, save time, save money for our customers and make them feel and control of their finances. So it's very exciting to use AI now to create the next generation of financial services.
Speaker 2: So Sebasti, you're a public company now, so you have coarsely earnings. But I want to end by asking what the metric is that you will gauge plan as success by what is the kind of milestone that you are holding your company to from this point?
Speaker 3: Well, it's very easy.
Speaker 6: You mentioned already resolute in the firm clan has focused in the last few years has been let's get as many users as possible. It's a litt bit like Facebook, right, you want to get as many users as possible. We're now at one hundred eleven million. That means, you know, a firm I think is less than thirty revoluted fifty. We're one hundred eleven million users. But our revenue for customer is not like as much as there and that is it. You know, revenue for customer is the one metric now because we know that when we start launching things like the card, we see massive pickup from our audience. So now obviously we want to reach similar revenue for customers. We're seeing our main competitors and that has the potential of bringing us from a revenue size company as well to a different level. So that is the key metric right now, revenue for customer.
Speaker 4: It's beast In Shimirnkowski Klan, a CEO the Blockbuster Hat. I hope that bodes about the IPO rather than the future business model. We so appreciate you being here with us today live from the New York Stock Exchange. Now we are here in New York City, the other part of town at Primary Summit Now this is all about the future of investing, the startups that you want to be in more broadly, and the way in which we're seeing investors take shape in the world of sports, in the world of AI, in the world of consumer health as well. So I just want to be digging deep into our next set of guests who are joining us today on the back of really the future of AI and sports with Vassal Kolkhaney. Now he himself a founder but then became a venture capitalists with Courtside Ventures. Belaria Fitzgerald as well, an NFL veteran now turned advisor and investor alongside Courtside Ventures. Gentlemen, it's wonderful, wonderful to be here with both of you and.
Speaker 3: Fus Do I start with you?
Speaker 4: You wance a founder, you're now an investor. What does the future of sports investing look like to you? Because when I look at your portfolio, there's a myriad of health tech, there's about collectibles, it's about fandom, but it's also about new types of sports and keeping them shorter and quicker.
Speaker 8: Yep, I think you hit it perfectly.
Speaker 10: Everyone who talks about sports today thinks about teams and leagues, but sports is so much larger than just that. Most people sports teams as a trophy asset. But then if you look at what they're doing today, they're developing the real estate around the stadium and creating many, many large business opportunities.
Speaker 3: For us.
Speaker 10: On the venture side, it's always been about the fact that there's media opportunities, there's.
Speaker 8: The world of collectibles.
Speaker 10: We just saw Babe Ruth Jersey sell last year for thirty two million dollars.
Speaker 8: That's a real asset class.
Speaker 10: Now we see the world of fitness and wellness and longevity. That's the name of the game this year is how are you going to live to be one hundred years old? To me, all of that is sports. It's not just what happens on the field. It's so much of what happens off the field as well, and those are the things that we've been investing in for the last ten years now.
Speaker 4: Larry, you're a testament to that on the field, known as one of the best receivers of all the time. But we think about what you do off the field, whether it's philanthromic, but it's about backing new ventures. Where is your sweet spot at the moment, where have you thought that the world of sport has changed, and where you didn't really foresee that you've made money out what.
Speaker 3: It is a lot of different verticals.
Speaker 11: Like you take, for instance, flag football, it's coming to it's going to be an Olympic sport in twenty twenty eight. How is it that we can get young ladies to be able to participate in the game that they love. You know, fifty percent of our fans are women, and they're not able to participate. They're not able to put helmets and shoulder pads on like the boys are. But how can we give them that avenue to be able to continue to follow their passions They watch with their brothers and their fathers and others in their schools and support their.
Speaker 7: Fantasy football team.
Speaker 11: So I look at emerging sports like I still think women's sports is the most undervalued asset class in sports. And you see what unrivaled best Mondice lead their recent round and like, I just think that that that expansion and opportunities is endless.
Speaker 4: Flag football is taking my world upstate by storm.
Speaker 9: Tell you what also is pickaball?
Speaker 3: I know you're backing that.
Speaker 4: I know cricket is an area they're almost like the charge and making things more consumable, more pacy. Is there a side effect of making everything for those that have a lack of attention span nowadays?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: I think you have your peers.
Speaker 11: You know, my dad, he sits down and watches the game on network TV like everybody else. But my sons they have no interest in watching an entire football game.
Speaker 7: Want to watch red zone. They want to see the snipbits.
Speaker 11: They want to see justin Jefferson's touchdown catches, Chase Jamar Chase's touchdowns. They want to see it quick and easy, and they want to see what they're doing on their fantasy teams. That's how they consume it, you know, and so we have to be able to give it to them in by size pieces, like the way they want to consume it.
Speaker 3: We can't do everything the way my dad wanted to do.
Speaker 11: If this is the younger consumers watching it in a different way, and.
Speaker 4: This is where your expertise vasu on content and media consumption comes in. Where are you seeing the innovation coming from? What kind of founders it coming into the game. I mean, Alex Rodriguez is someone that you've backed. Of course, a rod is someone that we know well on our network. He has backed future of Media. But where are some of the more innovations coming in?
Speaker 10: When it comes in, you're seeing sort of a lot of new emerging leagues come in with new types of content. So we just backed a company called Baller League that's based out of Germany, which is now six on six football. You can't kick the ball backwards behind midfield, so it creates action.
Speaker 3: It's two fifty football.
Speaker 10: We're talking your football, not our type of football. That's exactly right, and two fifteen minute halfs. So it's basically made or content to be consumed on a cell phone. And oh, by the way, every one of the teams in that league is operated by a streamer or a content creator that has probably more than thirty to forty million followers on Instagram or Twitter or TikTok, so on day one you're talking about an audience that's already there. Historically, the NBA, the NFL, it took them several decades to get to the point where they could go get a media rights deal, start to get the sponsorship revenue in and become a real business. These leagues are able to do it overnight. In the first year, they can generate tens of millions of dollars in revenue because they can now go straight and free to stream on Twitter or YouTube, so they don't have to wait for the ESPNS or the Sky Sports to show up and give them a deal. They're they've already got the audience, which means the sponsors are now coming instantly.
Speaker 8: And those are the types of business that we find really interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's there the self proclaimed biggest fastball fan there is, Hence courtside.
Speaker 3: An average player to.
Speaker 4: Average Sometimes those things go hand thet I'm interested about how you think fandom fits in to all of this, and how ultimately we still want to spend on the things that we love. How you thinking about collectibles, the way which that pivots to a digital side.
Speaker 10: Yes, I don't want to say we're the anti AI fund, because we do invest in AI companies. But when I think about one hundred years from now, and AI has eaten just about every industry in the world, I hope that we still want to watch humans play sports and not robots, right, And if that is true, then I think everything that we're investing in here today will still be around hopefull one hundred years m right. It may look slightly different, but it'll still be here. And when you talk about the world of collectibles, you think back to mankind as a hunter and gatherer. I think from the earliest cavemen, we've had this innate desire to hunt and gather. Back then it was for food. Today we don't have to hunt for our own food, but we still have that desire to hunt for things. And to me, those are the world that's the world of collectibles. And so whether it's watches, handbags, sports memorabilia, trading cards, Pokemon cards, this is a six hundred billion dollar industry that is just starting to see the light of technology. It was sort of eBay for the first twenty years of the Internet, and now you're going to see a whole host of new companies that are going to create better buyer and seller experiences for all of us who want to collect things.
Speaker 4: Larry, I'm sure in many ways the deals hunt you, and people come to you with their innovations and their ideas in the world of sports and media and content, But what have you looked to hunt out? Where have you found that Having been an athlete, your edge can lead to Courtside's Alpha.
Speaker 11: Well, I think it's really important you have an inside look at what sports looks like and also like what people are talking about, what they're interested in, you know.
Speaker 7: So I look at a company.
Speaker 11: Like you Know Tomorrow Sports, who is essentially stood up a business that took you know, your grandfather's game and made it something that young people will want to watch in an indoor stadium environment, right and expanding that you know now to the West coast. And you think about innovation of games that were maybe older games and finding new innovative ways to be able to make experiential. And I think people, no matter how much AI and technology evolves, like there's a communal aspect to what we liked in sports. Like you sit next to a guy at a Giant's game and your favorite player scores.
Speaker 7: A touchdown and you high five them.
Speaker 11: You have no idea who they are or where you're from, but you're sharing this moment together. And I think the more that you can create that, the stronger the sports experience will be.
Speaker 4: What's interesting is there's a very global nature to the portfolio, and I'm fascinated that you're backing cricket, but you're also thinking about, well, the way in which very American, uniquely American sports, your own sport football become a global in nature, basketball is doing that. How are you seeing when we're seeing a world that is almost anti globalization from an economic perspective right now becoming more globalized when it comes to fandom and when it comes to sports, Well.
Speaker 11: I think sports is really unique because it transcends race, it transcends religion, Like it's the one thing that you can do and now have to talk about politics, so worry about those type of things. And so like when I went to India years ago, when I saw I was I was at an event with Misatchen, one of the best cricket players in the world, and I saw he had a ten team security detail, police.
Speaker 7: Officers, and people would literally.
Speaker 11: They weren't asking for autographs, they were literally just trying to touch his shirt, right, And so I was like, Wow, he's almost a deity. You know, I've been around a lot of high profile athletes. I've never seen anybody respond the.
Speaker 3: Way he did.
Speaker 11: Then I saw the IPO at the time and only had eight teams in the league, and I look at India, it has over forty different cities that have over a million people in population that absolutely love the game. And you look here the Green Bay Packers, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Memphis Grizzlies. These are all cities that are nowhere near five hundred thousand people, six hundred thousand people, and they still support these franchises in a massive way. To think about the expansion of what could happen in the global sport that's followed around the world, and so it's really intriguing for me to invest in that well, to be able to.
Speaker 4: Keep on investing doing your philanthropic work as well as being a key well your deity here for many many things of the game. And Vasu so appreciate your time here thinking about the world in which we create valuation and then maybe not to pro or all in on ai way. We thank you Vessel kakhanne Loi Fitzgerald from Courtside Ventures and taking it back to you in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Awesome interview in the private sector Space Venture Space Sports.
Speaker 3: Absolutely love that coverage.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to some of the technology sector movers in the public markets right. First of all, Oracle, we're now at forty two percent This is the biggest jump on Oracle shares since nineteen ninety two. It propels that name into the top ten biggest companies on the S and P five hundred. It makes Larry Ellison the world's richest person. And it's all about an outlook not just for this fiscal year on cloud, but all the way through the twenty thirty. And there are a number of analysts out there saying we are in shock at these numbers. To the downside, a very different story. This is Synopsis, a company that makes software for chip design. The stocks down thirty five percent, biggest drop in history. Why because they're getting hit by export restrictions from the United States to China.
Speaker 3: And what they've tried to.
Speaker 2: Do is like work very hard on their own intellectual property, but that export of American technologies to China being controlled or banned, that is materially and directly hit sales. And that's the story of that name. Will continue to track it elsewhere in technology news. Jobi shares surging as he expands its partnership with Uber. As early as next year, customers will be able to book Jobey's helicopter and seaplane services within the Uber app. I want to get to Bloomberg's Natalie Lung, who's here in San Francisco. You and I talk about Uber Joby some of the rover taxi names all the time.
Speaker 3: Most people would.
Speaker 2: Know Jobi as an ev toll or flying air taxi company. But in the near term you need to be really specific about this deal with Uber and what the offering will be to the consumer.
Speaker 12: And so it really speaks to the opportunity that Jobey have here. In the future, people would be able to download the Uber app and hail Blade helicopters on their app. Right now, it's available in New York in part of southern Europe, and so it will be available to the millions of people who already have the Uber app on their phone.
Speaker 2: Another story you and I've tracked together is what's happening in Atlanta in the robotaxi race. The news is Lift and Main Mobility a partnership and some rides in that market are not really true robotaxi rides.
Speaker 12: Yes, So Lift is finally launching their av cars with Mame Mobility in Atlanta today and there will be a safety operator at the beginning as they sort of acclimate customers to drivelers rides and sort of take over whenever needed, and it will also have limited operating hours.
Speaker 3: At the beginning, lift shares up almost three percent.
Speaker 2: Direct correlation with the news We don't necessarily know, but plumos Nati lung trific reporting really worth tracking what she's looking at in the mobility space. Sticking with the world of autonomous vehicles, today, Zeus is officially launching its service on and around the Las Vegas Strip. It marks a first in the United States for a purpose built robotaxi that has no driver controls giving rides to member of the public. Members of the public, Zook CEO Ija Evans joins us now from Las Vegas. Okay, finally it's happened, and I give our audience the context that you and I have been talking about this for a very long time. There's limits to the service at first, Isha, so to start explain the parameters of what you're doing today and how you expand it.
Speaker 9: Thank you, good morning, and thank you again for having me. I actually had a bet that finally was going to be the first thing out of your mouth. So look, well, yes, we finally launched it essentially to the public, which is really nice. There's an app. Please download it if you're in Vegas. And also, by the way, if you're in San Francisco, it's coming soon, so you'll get on the wait list there. But let's get back to Vegas. Essentially, we're starting with five locations Resort World, New York, New York Area, fifteen, Luxore, and Top Golf, and you can go from one to any of those locations and then eleven am to one am. And yeah, you basically call it and it comes and gets you and takes you to your location, and you enjoy the experience, and we hope you do it over and over again, and you also tell us about it so that we can keep learning. It's free of charge. By the way, for now, two yes.
Speaker 2: I shall a question actually comes from our audience. Is a point of clarification. Does the rider in the first instance have a choice in the locations that they go to? In other ways, they can say through the app, I want to go from point A to point B, or do you have to follow a predetermined route?
Speaker 9: Nope, you have a choice. You pick your location and we will pick the best route at the time to get you there. You might go to the same look between two locations several times and go a slightly different way because we'll adjust depending on what's going on around the strip. So you pick your location and we take you there.
Speaker 2: The technology difference with zeokes is that it is a vehicle that has no steering wheel and no pedals. It has four inward facing seats. But you have been slower to deploy to the public than other robotaxi companies that use retrofitted consumer vehicles that do have driver controls. Was it worth it giving up first mover advantage to go down the regulatory path and the relationship path that you have with various cities.
Speaker 9: Oh, it was definitely worth it. First of all, I mean, I think we've been deliberate is how I like to call it, and very measured. This is the beginning of a massive way that will be a big market and that will frankly change how people move around cities and beyond. And so it was definitely worth it because the experience is magical. Because we've done it right, We've gone to the final solution from the beginning, We've learned a lot along the way. We've thought about serviceability, we've been right obsessed, We've thought about the business and operations at scale, and so we are absolutely thrilled with the bas we've chosen. I was start very young, at a young age.
Speaker 8: Do it right.
Speaker 9: The first time.
Speaker 2: I've been on the Las Vegas Strip in the Zookes vehicle, actually more than once, you know, the experience is more akin to getting into an airport shuttle with respect. You don't feel like you're in a consumer car. You opened up the availability today. Is there a sort of weight list arrangement in Las Vegas? Was the demand so great that you have a backlog of people to on board or what has the response been.
Speaker 9: The response has been awesome. As you know, we've been carrying members of the public, but on fixed route, just to get out bearings and get everything ready, and I've frankly I undercall the demand. So I think I need to get out of the demand forecasting business as far as Las Vegas from today onward, there's no weightlist. You essentially sign up and you're right. And I'm a little nervous today because I'm like, oh my gosh, I hope it's not too many people, because obviously we want to want to provide a great experience, but it's going to be wonderful. We are we are We're just thrilled to bring this to people. As you know, we've been at this for over a decade. We've been measured, we've had a very consistent vision. We you know, if it had to be resilient, and we we are excited to share this with others.
Speaker 2: What is the strategy to start charging fares first in Las Vegas and then later in San Francisco.
Speaker 9: So what you can expect is, first of all, everything is always pending regulatory approval. But what you can expect in Vegas is that we will be adding more and more locations. Uh. You know, this is the entertainment capital of the world, so we have a pretty good idea of where people like to go and why, and more robots, more destinations. Will also be upgrading the customer experience along the world. And after regulatory approval, and the end is very important, after we've also had all of the learnings that we're seeking, so that we have really a delightful, consistent, magical experience, we'll start collecting fairs.
Speaker 3: Zooks, Ceo, Ei share Evans, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: AI coding startup replet has raised two hundred and fifty million dollars in a new funding round that nearly triples its valuation to three billion dollars. Prison Capitals leading the financing round, which includes investors such as American Express Ventures and Google's AI Futures Fund, with existing backers including Andrews and Horowitz and y Combinator to sign a strong investor demand for companies using AI for software development.
Speaker 4: Right, Cara, Right, let's creek talking about the haves that have nots. Who's got the money, who's got the checks? Whether it's all about AI? Town Minos with US partner and Index Ventures helped found its New York City presence here back in twenty twenty two. Who now sits with me at Primary Submit Summit right here in the city Marta. We see the extraordinary valuations of general to AI enabling companies. Is that really where the activity still is?
Speaker 3: Is there room and oxygen in.
Speaker 4: The room for others?
Speaker 13: I think that's where the majority of the activity is. We see about two thirds of our deals or in the GENI space. But there's also other big areas that are still very active. You know, we still do a lot in healthcare, there's a lot in fintech.
Speaker 7: So it's not all GENI.
Speaker 13: The other thing is that JENI is becoming everything you know there, you know, you're talking about healthcare, while a lot of the activity in health care is GENI related, you know, optimizing back office, improving patient interactions. So I think this distinction is going to become obsolete very very soon.
Speaker 4: Well, we just had Sebastian of Klana as the company goes public, he very clear adopter of general to AI within his fintech business. It's a European star that's listed in America. You have a European UK based star and Revolute. How hot is the fintech space going to be after this successful accident?
Speaker 13: Looks like at this Yeah, first of all, congrats to Kloanna and what looks to be a very success successful IPO. I think it's a fantastic precedent for European companies. Fifteen billion plus. It's an amazing, amazing outcome for a great and very unique business.
Speaker 7: I think it shows that you.
Speaker 13: Can build giant technological companies from Europe, which you know there are some doughters out there, but I think you know, with Spotify and Adi and Klana and then in the future, the lacks of Revolute, this is coming, you know, again, again and again. I think the reality with fintech is that there were a lot of doughters, you know, saying, well, you know, how they're going to replace banks, how they're going to compete effectively at the cost of capital is.
Speaker 7: Higher, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 13: And I think what you're seeing is a lot of incredible businesses being created that are increasingly taking market share and customers by being way more customer friendly, adopting new tools, offering new products way faster, and clanizing with the example of that, and revelut is a full an even better example of that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you are all in on the EU and European success stories, but you and I are both European transplants moving here to America. Is the reality that the liquidity is here. When companies eventually do to go public, they're going to want to come to the US capital markets.
Speaker 13: I think in general the US capital markets or deeper there's more capital, there's more analysts, there's more knowledge. So there's clearly a geographical network effect that is happening is getting stronger. With every ip O, the pool gets stronger and stronger. So I think there is this is the primary market. This is the most of the markets for most competitions only European. The same for look at New Bank and other fintech Darling listed in New York as well, although only present in mostly in Brazilian and Latin America, so it's not European only phenomenon. What I would say is if I were a European markets I would try to be way more competitive. It's not only about being on par with US market. It's about offering more too entrepreneurs and founders, two early investors, to make sure you can you can attract them and you can compete. Otherwise this geographical network effect, we just keep on getting stronger. And yes, most European companies will end up being being listed here.
Speaker 4: No, you offer a lot to founders and in the expensures. I want an extraordinary year you're having. I'm thinking about the Figma IPO success. You've had significant exits. When I think of M and A and Whiz, how does that change the inbound that you're getting When everyone's seeing index so clearly on the map. It always has been from a geographical perspective, wins in the US, in Israel and Europe.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's we do have a lot of we do have a lot of inbound. It's a it's been a fantastic here kind of an overnight success, ten fifteen years in the making, you know, like fig Mar, we've been investors for one more than ten years, so you know, it's all happening, you know now in some ways because the market is open, the window is open. But they have been a relationship that we've been working with for decade decade plus, and that way we bet very early on on his very young founders. I mean, Dylan was nineteen when we first invested in him, were still an intern, you know, Alex at Scale was twenty one. We is you know, our staff, we've been working with him for his previous business already, so more than a decade.
Speaker 7: So those are very very long.
Speaker 13: Term relationships that happened to materialize in some exits now. But I think that's the way we think about the business. It's not about, oh, the markets open, let's invest more and let's have a quick you know, make a quick book. You know, we're investing in the very long term, and investments we make now, we know they're going to take a decade plus to flourish and turn into very large, hopefully independent and public companies, and.
Speaker 4: That makes help. He's excited and committed to stay with you. Very briefly, how's it changing the landscape of VC there?
Speaker 13: There is a bit of a meme out there where people thinking that vics are going to follow the heads fund and and especially the product with the industry where you either go very very big or you stay very very niche and there is no place in between. I think our view al index is slightly different where we believe there is actually a midium ground that is the best, not not necessarily for for the GPS and and and the and the vcs themselves, but definitely for the entrepreneurs where you need enough scale to support entrepreneurs on the global basis. You know we cover from Tel Aviv, San Francisco. You need to offer them the services that they need in terms of hiring, in terms of marketing, in terms of sales and customer development.
Speaker 7: So you need a certain.
Speaker 13: Size to pay for that infrastructure. But you also want to be too big that you become a corporation and you know you have kind of conveyor belt of founders and it's and there is no individual relationship. Again, No, we're investing in people very early on, very often India journey when they are nineteen twenty twenty one, and that require us to a level of empathy or the level or understanding that takes just this interpret interpersonal relationship that you lose when you get to.
Speaker 7: A very loud loud scale. The very loud scale can.
Speaker 13: Be very good for the GPS themselves, but not necessarily what the funders really really needed. So I think that's why we're sticking to that kind of middle size, and we think that's the best approach.
Speaker 4: Latin Minion from Index ensures. We so appreciate having him here for the interpersonal relationship that keeps on going. Meanwhile, stick around in the next hour for an interview with New York Governor Kathie hokel right here from primary summit in New York at.
Speaker 3: Okay coming up.
Speaker 2: First responders have told Blomberg that the design of some Tesla features, such as mechanical releases for the doors, you can add complication in the chaotic mind moments after a crash. We're gonna have the details next on a Deep Bloomberg investigation.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Design features on Tesla's electric vehicles, including battery powered door handles and mechanical releases, have complicated crashes and emergency situations. In particular, when Tesla's lose power, crashes can turn into deadly races against time. Reporting by Bloomberg News has found that regulators have been slow to act and complaints about Tesla's doors have piled up. I want to bring in Bloomberg's done a whole part of the team that reported this. What we are talking about in particular is the mechanical override, partly in the rear doors of some TESTSA vehicles that you need to use in the event that, in an accident, a Tesla vehicle loses power. Take us from that point and explain the investigation that Bloomberg News did.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So, to back up for a second, Tesla's our Tustle vehicles have two batteries. There is the battery that powers the car and dictates the range, and then there's a low voltage battery, typically twelve volts. In the cyber truck, it's forty eight volts that powers things like the windows, the doors, and the touch screen. If you lose power, whether because that low voltage battery dies or you're in a crash, the doors lock.
Speaker 8: And you have to get out.
Speaker 14: You have to know where the mechanical release is, and finding that mechanical release can be really challenging.
Speaker 2: There have been some events, case studies, examples in recent years where in fatal crashes the role or the function of the mechanical override was a factor.
Speaker 3: Can you explain what we learned?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So there have been several crashes, and the trick about crashes is that unfortunately a lot of the people are dead, so we can't interview them. But I found a crash in Virginia where this couple was in a terrible crash. Scores of people ran to their aid to try to help them, and they could not open the doors from the outside. They had to break a window in order to finally reach in and use the job use hydraulic cutters to cut the door open.
Speaker 2: This is a deeply reported It's a long form written piece, so I would say to the audience, go out and read it. Has TESLA responded to our reporting?
Speaker 8: They have not.
Speaker 14: I mean they were given an opportunity to respond, but they typically don't engage.
Speaker 2: Have any of the relevant regulatory agencies engage with us on the reporting.
Speaker 14: Not really, And I think the thing that's important to note is that there's really a gap in terms of how the regulations around these crashes are currently laid out. Crash testing in the United States really focuses on how well does a Tesla does a vehicle perform in like a rollover crash, and Tesla has an exemplary safety record five stars across all categories in many ways, but our crash testing doesn't look at what happens to a human being after a crash. How easy is it to get out of the vehicle, how easy is it for first responders to get in? And you're seeing more and more cars electric door handles and very strong glass that's making egress more difficult.
Speaker 2: I drive a tested vehicle, as you know, and actually the regular views of the show, no, I've never been in a crash, and I've never had to be in a situation where I've used the manual override because the battery has lost power.
Speaker 14: Do you know where your manual override is?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 2: So it's different between the front, which is basically a latch in the rear where you remove a pad and there is a wire mechanism. What I understood from sources in assisting in the reporting. A little bit was that you think about the cyber truck in particular, could you explain why the design or the shape of the vehicle requires such a mechanism in the rear away from battery just very quickly.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Well, the doors are very flat or very flat, so there's not as much room inside inside the door the door panel for those electronic releases. And I think also child safety latches is also a big part of it. You don't want kids to be able to easily open a door from the back seat. But then the downside is that it's very difficult to get out.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's on a whole with a Bloomberg Big take, go and read it. We asked Tesla for comment. We invite Tesla to comment if and when they're ready to do so. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech Up. Next, New York Governor Kathi Hokel joins Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: TV from the Primary Summit.
Speaker 2: That's a conversation with Caroline that you do not want to miss coming up. A lot happened in the show actually on a market basis. It was a historic day for Oracle for Larry Ellison. We recapped Apple in the iPhone seventeen generation event and that big take on Tesla. That's the podcast. You know where to find it. From San Francisco, from New York.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.