Speaker 1: Hey guys, all the politic in world out there and our listeners. We have a great episode coming up here with Chelsea Handler. Want to let everybody know that we recorded this a while back before the fires. Our thoughts and our prayers and our minds and our hearts and our souls are with everyone in Altadena and the Palisades and everyone in LA This episode we recorded a while back. That is inspiring, fun and a great episode with the iconic Chelsea Handler.
Speaker 2: Man, what's handed? Man?
Speaker 3: You got Marshaw, Besma Lynch, Doug Hendrickson.
Speaker 4: And Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politics you know to be you known to be?
Speaker 5: Rashan was up late last.
Speaker 4: Night, Jesus, between the two of you, couple hours sleep? Where the hell were you last night?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: It was up late last night.
Speaker 2: In an unfamiliar place home?
Speaker 4: Oh so then wonder you didn't sleep?
Speaker 5: He doesn't sleep. Marshawn's got a sleeping problem like I do.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to figure out there's an unfamiliar place like I ain't you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: This is brand new to me.
Speaker 4: You know you're not You don't have to take any of those you take sleeping pills or anything. What do you do?
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't go down like that.
Speaker 4: Doug does. Doug. Doug was addicted to some of that.
Speaker 2: Sh bud or something not be good.
Speaker 1: But you know, I've realized all these billionaires, these guys take like all this they do like I, all this weird stuff. They take IV's, peptides, ozone, all this.
Speaker 4: So you were promote, you sent me all that stuff yesterday I was wondering without any context.
Speaker 1: I drink, I smoke, I don't take vitamins. I might have three years left. Having said that, I'm in a pretty good shape. These these guys are taking. There's the same Marshaun these guys are taking.
Speaker 5: It's like these ivs where it.
Speaker 1: Go it take it every You take it three days a week, and it makes you feel like you have like the stomach flu, and I guess it's the worst forty five minutes of your life. But once it's done, you feel like a million bucks. And I'm like, no, I'm good. It's like these I can't.
Speaker 5: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: It's some kind of cocktail of vitamins and stuff, but it's an IV and you take it like two or three days a week and for forty five minutes, you feel like you have the flu or stomach flick awful.
Speaker 4: Like He's like hemo, man, that doesn't sound like anything healthy.
Speaker 2: It don't sound like something.
Speaker 1: It's almost like you can't. You got to like pull the iv out. But once you're done, apparently you feel like a million bucks.
Speaker 4: Marshawn. You ever been tempted to do that ayahuasca stuff and go to some tent somewhere in the moondocks?
Speaker 3: And hell no, mate, But I'll tell you this, your boy, Hey, Rob, we just did the twentieth like reunion thing for coach Tefferd back at cal and uh he came. He was asking him about Yeah, I mean him getting high off that shit. I mean, it's the best feeling the ever Like, nah, fuck what you're doing? I don't think I want no parts of that ship.
Speaker 4: Did you talk to him about being in what he went for like twenty four hours or three days in the dark or something? What the hell was that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I don't look when you I guess when you out there to define yourself, it ain't no limits to the things you'll do.
Speaker 5: I gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: I might be really Uh, I might be very hollow, but I've never really wanted to go find myself yet.
Speaker 5: Is that a bad thing?
Speaker 4: It's kind of bad. You gotta get the you gotta get the better help app Brother, better help.
Speaker 5: Seriously, have you ever listened of a class for help?
Speaker 4: Marshawn? Literally, this is a cry for help. This guy's been, he's been vulnerable right now.
Speaker 2: Very fresh. You need the better help app Man.
Speaker 5: I might need the better help out. But I don't know. Is this is this bad of me that I haven't.
Speaker 1: Won to like go away for two weeks and just on my own and search for whatever is out there.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe fuck, maybe I'm shallow, Maybe I'm I don't know what my I haveate problem.
Speaker 5: I have a serious problem.
Speaker 2: No, I have a serious problem. You can't sleep, can't sleep. You need to find yourself definitely, or you haven't been. You haven't even looked for yourself.
Speaker 4: No, man, I think you get into that midlife crisis.
Speaker 2: I think that's white people see white people.
Speaker 4: Jesus, Doug, what do you think of that? I don't know if it's white people ship, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, looks will be getting into some wild ship, man, like the hell is you want to go swim in the ocean with hell like.
Speaker 4: LSD or acid or something. What about ecstasy? You ever tried ecstasy any of that stuff.
Speaker 5: I've done a lot of ecstasy.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got you have.
Speaker 1: I've done ecstasy, shrooms, I've done all that stuff. Yes, controls too, rooms is good. It's it's it's it's from the planet, from the ground.
Speaker 2: It's from the earth. Put that here for me, a you.
Speaker 5: But I gotta I gotta be honest, and I might I might be wrong.
Speaker 1: I think how for this self help stuff, people just say they're doing all the stuff, but no one's really doing it.
Speaker 4: What like cold plunges you were about to buy a cold plunge.
Speaker 5: Thee I'm talking about all the other stuff. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if people are really doing this stuff. But it's like everybody wants to talk like they're doing all these crazy, these these cutting edge things.
Speaker 4: Don't you have but you guys must have no no bs. You don't you have a morning routine? Everyone's got a morning routine. It's like, is there five things you do every single morning when you wake up every morning?
Speaker 2: Get ready a blunt for breakfast?
Speaker 5: Come on, no, there's really not Gavin.
Speaker 4: I think you have no morning routine. No, no, not a damn thing. Marshaan, you have no mourning routine.
Speaker 2: Come on, orange juice and a blunt for breakfast.
Speaker 4: How about during the season, did you have a morning routine during the.
Speaker 2: Season juice and a blunt for breakfast?
Speaker 5: Well, Gavin, give me your more. What do you mean your morning routine?
Speaker 1: Every morning I wake up your face cream, you got your.
Speaker 4: No, not even close. Thank you for that? Really, really you gonna you get a first thing every morning, lemon water. Then I do a series of sit ups and push ups, then cold plunge. Then I got this stretching thing that I do a little whim hop breathing, and then I make my way Jesus to the cell phone.
Speaker 2: What is wind hop breathing?
Speaker 4: Fully in, fully out, go with the forces of the breath.
Speaker 2: So don't do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, just like thirty breasts and then you hold breath hold and your breath and by the way, Doug has seen the breath hold three and a half four minutes, No problem, no problem, That's what I'm talking about. And that centers you, bro, That gets you ready for the day and A great way to start the morning is with that. I mean, come on, nothing better than two big glasses of lemon water, just saying.
Speaker 1: But Gavin, here's what I understand. I'll call you sometimes at ten thirty you're angry and yelling at people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean sometimes it doesn't work. Some types of breathing doesn't work. Imagine if I didn't breathe, man, even ten times worse. But I mean, like into this wim Hoff stuff.
Speaker 2: I really am.
Speaker 4: I got into this. Here's the wim Hoff app I'm like all over it, bro.
Speaker 5: Mar Shaun Govin is an easy say.
Speaker 1: You know, you know that nice game back in the day that the cups where you did figure out would be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got Gav. Is easy to fool, man. We get gathered on something simple.
Speaker 2: Man, what's that the three card up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, three card monume whatever it is.
Speaker 4: No, man, I don't fall prey to that stuff.
Speaker 3: This is scientific to blab to black always to read it, always read Hey guys.
Speaker 4: By the way, I will say, this cold plunch thing is kind of waning on me a little bit. It ain't ever gotten easier. I have no idea if it's ever helped. I'm over it. A little bit.
Speaker 2: That cold plunge is that's a that's a different beast. I don't know. You say, you get up and do that in the morning.
Speaker 4: I was doing it. I was doing it like six days a week, then three days a week. Five Now I'm like back to a couple, and I like, there's it's misery.
Speaker 2: Misery, But how do you feel though?
Speaker 4: I feel like I literally, if there was ever a video of me coming out, I was like, I'm totally naked and I come out and it's pouring rain out and I just walk around my head my hands like this, Ah, I'm completely red, fantastic, completely red, completely red, and like, I'm not kidding. You can't get out of it without just feeling like a million dollars. That's why you do.
Speaker 2: Shit, I will say, though, when you get out of it, though you do.
Speaker 3: I mean the few times that I have done it, you do feel like you feel like a million bucks, for sure. But it's just that you got to have a different type of mindset to do that, and we used to have. I usually have teammates that are getting there the neck down, yeah, and they're just chilling.
Speaker 4: How long wou with being there for five minutes, ten minutes talking to him full.
Speaker 2: Cors Hey here, what's up man? That was going on the bro you see he hey, can you.
Speaker 3: Get get get another bag axen and throw that bag axen here from me?
Speaker 2: Like, man, what the fuck? Like bulls ship? What was it?
Speaker 4: What did you after every game? What did you get a massage or something? What was how'd you relax?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: My my my? My therapy was was massage? The hum I don't know the human that human touch was was different. I had a h I had a rotation of my suits. Dad, uh to give me right?
Speaker 5: Yes, by the way, yes, yes you did more?
Speaker 2: Sean No, get the fuck out of here for ye No, that.
Speaker 4: Wasn't even right, bro.
Speaker 2: Ghet the fuck out of here, my boy.
Speaker 1: Marshawn's vices were massages and some Hennessy and then he smoked a little at night and he gets some sleep after he was drug tested.
Speaker 2: After he was drug tested.
Speaker 4: By the way, do you have to pay for It's a dumb question, totally stupid questions.
Speaker 5: Isn't Masha's watching you pay for massuse?
Speaker 4: Or does a team provide that full time? Or do you have to pay extra?
Speaker 2: So how it worked?
Speaker 3: Was h you know, during the season they would have the massous come up to the facilities and you could schedule time slot for like thirty minutes. But yeah, I mean that was more so like specific, uh specific work like maybe I'm you know, I'm dealing with you know.
Speaker 2: A quad or something.
Speaker 3: Because really realistically, like I mean, considering after a game, they I think one of the trainers was like, man Monsham, going through a game is like equivalent to seven car accidents total. So I was like, God, damn, that's that's that's a lot of goddamn car accidents.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And you you you get that in what three hours at the uh of the day, So I mean, you know that that was real important. So when you talk about you know, morning root teens and this nine and third, But my routine was more so like during the week, Yeah, I mean Monday through Sunday, and the whole purpose of my routine was to get me from Sunday to Sunday.
Speaker 2: It we got pretty deep.
Speaker 1: She's a TV host, a comedian, a best selling author.
Speaker 5: I got to read more because I haven't read her books.
Speaker 1: I apologize seven seven books, a kick ass podcast.
Speaker 6: Someone's smoking a blunt on here. I love this. Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: You got your hopes. So, Mama, it's just it's just a it's just a sig right now.
Speaker 7: Oh I see, I see, Okay, copy that. Well we are in the state of California. At least you guys are so Hi.
Speaker 4: Guys, hey, guys. Well, where the hell are you? Are you in an undisclosed location Utah or something.
Speaker 6: I've been Whistler, Canada.
Speaker 4: Ooh ooh interesting skiing. What are you doing?
Speaker 6: That's my ski spot.
Speaker 7: I come up here for the winters and I'm I'm Canadian during the winters and maybe permanently we'll see I'm here in my winter wonderland.
Speaker 4: Winter wonderland. Well, it's good to be with you. And by the way, no bs, you literally are about to come out with a seventh damn book, which is ridiculous in just a couple of months. And by the way, you and Chelsea does beg the quy are you writing all these books yourself or you've got co writers? Tell the truth.
Speaker 7: I write all of my books and all of my material by myself.
Speaker 4: Literally, I mean, you're not, And how do you have material for six seven books? My god? Most people get one or two in a lifetime. And these are, by the way, for everyone listening. These are all damn best sellers, every rite, almost every single one of these books.
Speaker 6: Yes, they are all in New York Times best selling books.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 7: Well, I have a lot of free time because I'm not a mother and I don't have a husband, so I get to trapes around the whole world old and have lots of different experiences to talk about in my stand up and write about in my books.
Speaker 6: And yeah, my stories.
Speaker 7: Just right when I think I'm out of material, some new wave of stories happens and then I'm like, oh, I've got to write this down or I've got to talk about this. But yeah, there's no shortage of material. Also, my material comes from me, like it's all my experience and my stories. So when you are willing to kind of dish about your personal experiences, whether they're humiliating or not, you're not short.
Speaker 6: On material, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, Chelsea, by the way, since I am married, in three kids and my wife's a massive fanny as, you can borrow my wife and my kids anytime.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, But Chelsea little I got to be honest I'm not trying. I'm not trying to fanboy you, a girl you, but I'm a huge fan of yours. I've loved your work forever, literally all the stuff back in the day to now. I love what you're all about, your coolest shit, and I know we'd have a good time hanging out, and so I'm looking forward to coming to Vegas for one of your shows. But I love what you've done and who you are, So I'm very, very excited you're on the show today.
Speaker 6: Oh well, thank you very much, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Guys, the governor wants to jump right into the books. We don't we need to jump right in yet, Gas.
Speaker 4: No, I care about the books. I mean, I just I'm impressed by the way you're previewing this damn book. And you talked about sexting with a governor, which then begs the damn question, Chelsea, which governor were you sexting?
Speaker 6: His name is Andrew Cuomo and he is no longer a governor.
Speaker 7: I was, how listen, guys, I was hot on the scene with Andrew Cuomo because, like many women, I was. We were dehydrated for real leadership during the COVID pandemic, and he got on television every morning fighting us with old school masculinity and which I have.
Speaker 6: It was a turn on.
Speaker 7: I liked being yelled at an angry Italian meatball submarine sandwich, and I started to develop strong feelings for him along with a lot of my friends.
Speaker 6: Everyone was God, Andrew Cuomo is sexy the way he's yelling at all of.
Speaker 2: Us what to do.
Speaker 7: And then I was like, oh, I have an advantage. You know, I'm a person, like a notable person. I'm famous.
Speaker 6: So I went on the view.
Speaker 7: I asked my PR people to put me on the view, my PR team and I was on with Whoopee and Joy Behar and they were asking me about my COVID experience and I said, you know, I told them about it. And then at the very last minute, I said, I just would like to go on the record and say that I would like to be penetrated by the Governor of New York.
Speaker 6: And then I waited, and it took about three days for me to receive a phone call from him.
Speaker 4: Three days Yes, and what was it called? Just politely saying I'm honored. What did he say? Literally? What was I mean? We say, hey, Chelsea it's Governor Cuomo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Basically he left me a message, a voicemail, and he was like and.
Speaker 7: He's like, hello, miss Handler, this is at you Omo.
Speaker 6: And I heard from a little birdie in a tree that someone has a crush on me.
Speaker 7: And then it went from there, and then we talked, and then we made plans. We texted a bunch, and then I was going to the East Coast for like a few months because of during COVID.
Speaker 6: My family and I were going to rent a house in Maine, and I was planning on having a very hot dinner date with him. But then he ghosted me.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: That begs the question, Chelsea. If Gavin wasn't married during COVID, would you have texted him first?
Speaker 4: No, No, she's over me. She moved past me years ago, Doug.
Speaker 6: If Gavin were single, I would be hitting on him as well.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, I love the transfer, Chelsea.
Speaker 6: But we haven't got I'm respectful of this situation.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, Chelsea, and by the way, so is the family. But let me ask you this. You said, you said, you said, I mean what. I can't believe I'm even following off when this question, what do you. I mean, when you say sexting, what the hell does that even mean? Is that what RFK was just doing?
Speaker 5: Junior texting?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: No, I wasn't sexting with him. I don't think I've ever sexted with anyone. I mean, that's a little lame in my opinion. No, we were saying like we were just like flirting. It wasn't like we were, you know, doing anything.
Speaker 6: Torrid or lurid.
Speaker 7: So we we just talked back and forth and I was going to go there for dinner. I was like, Oh, I want to come over and have a nice COVID friendly outdoor dinner date at the governor's mansion.
Speaker 6: And he was like, yeah, I'd like that. Let's plan that. And then I was like, Okay, should I quarantine? What do I do? He's like quarantine Schmarantine. He's like, don't worry about it. I was like, oh, interesting twist. But nothing ever came to fruition, so thankfully because he got canceled about six months later.
Speaker 5: Well, Chelsea has an NFL agent.
Speaker 1: It's evolved over the years of the social media now and nowadays these girls will just send naked pictures to players DM them and then these guys will fly them in sight unseen and sometimes it ends well, sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Cat Fish fly, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 4: At fish at its finest, What the hell is that?
Speaker 1: Even it's by the way, No, it's a big it's a big ring. There's girls out there at Chelsea that are pros and they they will trap these guys fast extortion stuff like you wouldn't.
Speaker 5: It's a whole it's a whole. Another. By the way, I could give you some good bits for material.
Speaker 1: You do some great shows just based on that stuff. So we'll talk offline.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, anyone and that is famous or a public person really shouldn't be flying anyone in that they met on a DM on Instagram. So that's that's like pretty basic. And these guys should know that by now, and you should actually let them know if they don't know already. I did send one photo to Andrew Cuomo that was questionable, actually thinking me to tell this only because the ship had sailed, I understood it wasn't happening. Like, and I came downstairs talking to my brothers and sisters. I'm like, I think I'm getting ghosted by the governor, and my sister's like, I told you nobody. No governor that's yelling at half the country to stay six feet apart is going to be able to connoiter with you in his backyard.
Speaker 6: What are you talking about? You're like one of the loudest people in the world.
Speaker 7: And so then I sent this picture of me on a vest, but I had a face mask on, I had like a helmet on, I had a bikini, and I sent it to him because I thought the thought of me somehow, like a picture of me like that getting like to his phone and accidentally transmitting through his iPad or through the computer during one of his early morning COVID briefings to see gave.
Speaker 6: Me excitement, you know, Like that made me.
Speaker 7: I was like, what if the whole world gets to see that I'm texting with him?
Speaker 6: But that didn't happen either, So you know, a girl can still dream.
Speaker 5: Well, Chelsea, we love the weed, you know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know, but we had Woody Harrelson on a while ago, and me and Marshawn were the committee to get the woods in West Hollywood up and running, and so we were on the committee for that. So we appreciate your, uh, your partaking in this stuff. Like me and Marshawn do often.
Speaker 4: Elsea. I think that's kind of how we connected many moons ago when I was legalizing marijuana and California and you politely had me on your show and tried to cross pollinate me with some interesting abusers, not just users of the product.
Speaker 6: That's funny. I do remember that, Gavin. That is, we did connect on that.
Speaker 7: And also I would also like to note that Andrew Cuomo many of our conversation consisted of many of our conversations consisted of me beseeching him to legalize marijuana, and he did in the state of New York shortly after he met me. So I would like to also take credit for that.
Speaker 4: You got to take credit for that. And by the way, you're a Jersey goal right and you grew up there.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Marshawn loves Jersey. Marshawan, where's your spot in Jersey? Like, I know you go to two spots out there.
Speaker 2: He's Orange. Oh yeah, we.
Speaker 7: Used to buy weed from me Storage any Storage Growth, Yeah, that was the spot East Storage.
Speaker 4: What the hell? By the way, what the hell is the East Orange at a store? Is it is? The hell? Is this? Forgive me? New Jersey I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 5: East Orange is near Clinton, New Jersey. Govin. It's a little suburb there.
Speaker 6: It's not far from Livingston, New Jersey, where I grew up there.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're right there, you go Govin.
Speaker 1: It's not Mont Claire, Jersey, gad and where you've probably been in some fundraiser back in the day.
Speaker 5: It's a little more hard at than that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, guys, and thank you. I'm going to hang out in Orange next that's my definitely my next stop. But not for the reasons you guys used to hang out there. By the way, Chelsea, what you grew up with a huge family, right you got You talked about your sister a second ago, but you got you got a ton of brothers and sisters, right Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'm the youngest of six kids, so I was pretty pissed when I was born. I was like, who are all these other people? Like I thought I was gonna I came up from the hospital. I was psyched to get the party started, and then I saw all of these other people taking up my parents' time.
Speaker 6: I was like, wait, what's our financial situation? Like I couldn't understand.
Speaker 7: The planning or the lack thereof of having that many children and not being like find actually set.
Speaker 6: So I grew up pretty quickly.
Speaker 7: I was like I had I had a big personality at a very young age because I just was not I wasn't buying into what they were selling. I'm like, somebody needs to organize this family, and that somebody's going to be me. So I was the boss from a very young age. And now my brothers and sisters knew that, no, that I was.
Speaker 6: I was right all along.
Speaker 4: And Chelsea, you you also just a little bourb in your book, you were kind of preview and you weren't kidding. At ten years old, you had a lemonade stand, and so talk about being a boss. You started spiking the lemonade because you got a few extra bucks and put what vodka in the damn lemonade? Is that what most is that what other ten year olds were doing?
Speaker 7: Or this was That's why I started doing it because I realized that there was a piece of the market was missing and that I could make a bigger profit margin if I sold alcohol to children and their parents. So it wasn't only vodka. I decided to start a hard lemonade stand. I did the lemonade stand for two days, and I made like fifteen dollars in two days.
Speaker 6: I'm like, this isn't going to cut it.
Speaker 7: So then I was like, Okay, let's get some gin, whiskey and tequila and we'll have a hard lemonade stand.
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 7: I hired another bar back who was ten years old, and the bar bank and I taught Nelson right away.
Speaker 6: I'm like, do you know how to make a whiskey soda?
Speaker 7: And then we sat on the and then the first week of our lemonade stand we made three hundred and fifty nine dollars or something rageous.
Speaker 5: And your parents did not know you were doing this with devodka and tequila.
Speaker 6: Who knows what my parents knew and did. Then they weren't my problem.
Speaker 7: I never took my parents seriously like they and they when you're the youngest of six kids, they're not taking you very seriously either.
Speaker 6: They're just happy that you're out of the house.
Speaker 7: And yeah, no one was kind of like, you know, giving me rules to follow.
Speaker 6: Growing up. I was on my own and I understood that very early on.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I made out like a bandit, and I was a business woman from ten years later.
Speaker 4: It was a true story that you you were kind of outed on all this when you were in the first class cabin and all the rest of the family was in coach when you upgraded using the money.
Speaker 7: Well, I actually started a babysitting ring after my baby, after my lemonade, Stan and I lied and called all the hotels on Martha's Vineyard. That's where we had a summer house, which makes it sound like we were really wealthy.
Speaker 6: We weren't.
Speaker 7: I don't know how my dad got that house. He was a used car dealer, so he had that house.
Speaker 6: And I called.
Speaker 7: Every hotel on Martha's Vineyard in Edgar Town and I was introduced myself.
Speaker 6: I'm like, my name is Chelsea Handler. I'm a very experienced fifteen year old babysitter. Because I always looked older, so I said, I.
Speaker 7: Was fifteen when I was ten, and I spent that summer babysitting fourteen year old boy.
Speaker 4: Ten years old with the lemonade stand. Uh So, I mean, so that does beg the question. I mean, the origin story of the why you're in the racket you're in and why you're You've got to you know your your Chelsea's at Chelsea in your Vegas and you're working on your seventh book and have had one hundred and fifty Netflix scale. I mean, you must like your It sounds like your investor in Netflix. You have more damn Netflix documentaries. But is that I mean, was this the comedy came then early as well, or did the comedy come later when the identity started to show up and you start of continued to sort of mark to the beat of your own drum.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think when you have, you know, a big family, it leans towards comedy. I mean you kind of have to laugh at the disorganization and the I mean, you have a big family, Gavin, Yours is a little probably more regulated. Your children are probably on much more of a tighter schedule than any of us.
Speaker 5: No, they're a bunch of They're chaos, just chaotic over there.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to check the damn lemonade stand after this conversation. I'm not even kidding. I don't trust my living. Yes, this is then again, I'm impressed and inspired at the same time. It's confusing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it was a funny.
Speaker 7: We are all funny, and we all have We're very sarcastic, and uh yeah, I guess it just was. You know, I got a lot of attention as the youngest, but I needed to I got it for the wrong reasons. I didn't like it because I was cute and I was blonde, and I liked getting attention for being precocious. I didn't like getting attention for my looks. So I was always trying to outweigh the attention that came to me naturally with like earned attention, you know. And then I decided, like when I got to school, I'm like, I'm going to be the funny one.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say the funny thing.
Speaker 7: And then it became I was just so outspoken that people would be laughing at it, whether it was funny or not, because I had such a personality on me at a young age, and I guess it veered into comedy once I had to kind of hone it into something more than just being you know, obnomgo.
Speaker 4: You remember your first time when you just were all of a sudden, just this light maybe literally figuratively, where you were like, this is what I want to do. Were you on stage? Was it in school and everyone's laughing and you did a formal routine or was there a moment where you said this is you know where you knew this would potentially be a pathway.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I actually got a DUI when I was twenty one years old in California.
Speaker 4: Marshad's laughing for a reason. That's we'll talk about that in a moment.
Speaker 6: Did you read and they get a DUI?
Speaker 2: Not recently, it was a long time ago.
Speaker 6: Okay, well copy that now. The good news is it was my first one and last one, so I learned my lesson. But they send you to.
Speaker 7: DUI school when you get a DUI and you have to go to these classes Marshawn.
Speaker 6: If you haven't been already, get ready and you have to go to.
Speaker 7: These classes where they basically tell you how to get out of your next UI. They're like, never admit to having more than or no when you get pulled over.
Speaker 6: This is how the class started. It was so ridiculous. They never admit to having anything to drink when you get pulled over by a police officer.
Speaker 7: The minute you admit it, then they drag you out of the car and they can give you a field sobriety chest. So basically every night of this class was the instructor giving us all the like the information so that he would, you know, to arm us with the information so that he would never have to see us again.
Speaker 6: And then everyone had to get up and tell their dui story.
Speaker 7: And I was, you know, the idea of public speaking made me shiver. I couldn't even imagine getting up in front of that class.
Speaker 6: So week I would just kind of like Bob and weave to a different part.
Speaker 7: Of the seating area so that he couldn't like spot me.
Speaker 6: And I was like, I'll wur my way out of this.
Speaker 7: I'm going to get through this class without talking to this class and publicly speaking. And on the very last class, like he had my number, He's like, where's Chelsea Handler?
Speaker 6: Did it A?
Speaker 7: I was twenty two or twenty one, And I got up and I told my dui story, which was ridiculous. I had driven past my house. I called the Kopp a racist. We were both white. I mean, it was just went on and on and on. I got stuck in sybil Brand Women's Prison because their computer system went down. So even though my aunt and uncle had bailed me out, I was still in there for three days. Because you couldn't get out of the system until you were put in the system. I mean in this room with like five hundred women and they were trading salami sandwiches for tampons.
Speaker 6: And I was like, oh my god, what have I and my life is over?
Speaker 7: And then finally I got out and and I went to that class, and I got up and I told my story. I told all of it and everyone was dying and they're laughing, and and finally, and I couldn't get.
Speaker 6: Off the stage. I was so scared to publicly speak.
Speaker 7: And then it turned into this like really fun vibe and fun time and I was loving myself. And at the end, the teacher came up and was like, okay, this isn't a stand up comedy class, Like you need to get off the stage.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: You're enjoying this a little too much. And all the people in the class, well not all of them, but enough of them said you should be you should do stand up like you have.
Speaker 6: You are a great storyteller.
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh, maybe I should do stand up and so I did.
Speaker 6: I did it. Like the next week, I went to the Laugh Factor.
Speaker 7: I waited in line the Laugh Factory on sunset boulevard and I waited in line for like, no, no, I got a note and I took it and and yeah. So it's like, you know, one of the worst decisions I ever made turned into one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Speaker 1: And were you That sounds like Marshaun, That sounds like my taking ambient before I went home driving and got pulled over by twelve cops Chelsea.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And luckily I talked my way out of that. But that was not very smart. That was my one almost duy moment where it could have been pretty bad.
Speaker 6: Did you talk your way out of so?
Speaker 4: Super Bowl week is like, no, no, Doug got to answer the question, brother, She asked you a simple question. How the hell did you talk your way out of that?
Speaker 5: Did I call you gavi it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I didn't. I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: No, you did not call me. That doesn't work. Nice try buddy.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: So this was the stupidest thing. So it's super Bowl week. It's Monday. So super Bowl for seven days is debauchery. It's twenty hours a.
Speaker 5: Day, you're partying, you're out. It's crazy. It's not so Monday.
Speaker 1: When the super Bowl was in California, a couple year, like sixty seven years ago. It's I decided, Okay, I'm gonna take one night off at Chill.
Speaker 5: I had to be up at six in the morning. I'm going home around one in the morning.
Speaker 1: So I take like a half an ambient on the way home, I'm like fifteen minutes from the city and I'm thinking, okay, I'm gonna take fifteen minute drive.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna ambazon kicking at thirty.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go home, have my frosted flakes or some cereal, go to bed, get five hours and call it at night. So I get in the car and I'm going over the bridge to my house in Marine, and all of a sudden, I'm like seeing UFOs coming at me.
Speaker 5: I'm going, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: And so I get through the Robin Williams Tunnel with the tunnel connecting in Marine and next you know, I see lights behind me and I'm like going, dude, what is up?
Speaker 5: What is going on?
Speaker 1: So I got two hands in a wheel, I'm kind of navigating. So now I hear like sirens pull over the car, So I pull over.
Speaker 5: The next exit I get off. There's literally twelve cop cars that pull me over.
Speaker 1: They surround, They don't know what's going on, and they say, what have you been drinking?
Speaker 5: I said nothing, what you been smoking? Nothing? What you been doing?
Speaker 1: I said, look, I took like a quarter ambion. I'm heading home. And they said, well, do you realize you're going ten miles an hour in the freeway going laying the lane the lane, And they all surrounded my car. Didn't know what's going on, and so truthfully, I don't know how I talk my way out of it, but they end up driving me home, left my car there and I got off, thank god. But it was it was a pretty funny story, but it could have ended pretty badly, but thank god I got out of it.
Speaker 7: No ambient and like and Xanax and any of those sleeping pills that you want to take.
Speaker 6: The rule of thumb is you have to be where you're going.
Speaker 7: Like when you take a Xanax before a plane takes off and then fall asleep and wake up and realize that you've been on the runway for four hours and the plane has never taken off.
Speaker 6: That's a mistake. You have to until you.
Speaker 7: Are in where you are going, Like you have to wait until you are mid air and then you are free to take your xanax or your sleeping pill. Same with driving, you have to wait until you get to your destination.
Speaker 2: You sound like you got the blueprint for day.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I've done this before, obviously. I once had a friend who woke up, went out. She said she had taken an ambient. Is the worst, by the way, and I'm a pharmacologist in my opinion, but my friend once took an ambi and she said she woke up, went to her car. I found an empty pot of spaghetti in the passenger seat. Like, so she had made spaghetti. She has no idea how she went driving, and she has no idea who ate the spaghetti. I was like, it's pretty impressive that you could make spaghetti under that kind of influence.
Speaker 2: But I know.
Speaker 3: He probably was sleep walking the whole time you were talking Tilly Dale to five.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's impressive you got out of it. I mean sometimes cops are cool like that and understand that. It's like, you know, you're not a problem, you just made a stupid mistake.
Speaker 5: Well, Chelsea's speaking of food. One night, I was I think Marshaun was with me.
Speaker 1: We were getting high with Snoop and I got back to my hotel and I was so high. I literally was walking up and down the hallways and eating like waffles off the plates of other people's room service cards because I didn't.
Speaker 5: Know where I was, what was going on. I think it lasts like three days.
Speaker 7: You'd come to, like the offices of any talk show that I ever hosted, the smell of marijuana did not leave the building.
Speaker 6: For the next two and a half weeks. I have the best weed.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good experience.
Speaker 7: Then, yeah, always I love marijuana, so there's nothing that's going to knock me down. I feel like if I don't have something in my system, if I'm dead sober, it's almost like I have too much of an advantage, do you know what I mean? I have to have a little something to subdue my personality.
Speaker 1: Well, Chelsea, we're just talking about that before you got on about all these people now, like all these billionaire guys talking to all this self help stuff and like taking IDs, zone and peptides and all this stuff, and they said, what do you do?
Speaker 5: I said, truthfully, I don't do anything.
Speaker 1: I've I don't I smoked some weed, I drink I don't sleep, I don't take vitamins. I do work out occasionally, so I don't know. Maybe I got something wrong with me. I don't know, but like all these guys seem to have the keys the kingdom here.
Speaker 5: But maybe I'm gonna live longer.
Speaker 4: I tell you you on any routine and all that stuff, are you like big into peptides? I do.
Speaker 7: I take a lot of stuff. I take a lot of anti aging stuff I take. I mean, I'm microdose what anything anybody has in Canada? Everything is legal. So they have great microdose mushrooms. They have great LSD. Like I ski on LSD.
Speaker 6: You take a tiny hit and you're just.
Speaker 2: Old, hold on what you mean?
Speaker 7: You skials LSD and then I've run out the door and go ski like that heightens the whole day. You appreciate nature, You look at the trees more. And same with mushrooms. They have MDMA here.
Speaker 6: That's legal.
Speaker 7: Everything's legal in Canada, so everybody should think about heading north.
Speaker 2: You can get highs.
Speaker 6: I don't get high as fuck.
Speaker 7: No no, no, she answers of other ski So I'm not irresponsible, but I like to enhance my experience.
Speaker 6: I'm a very also very good.
Speaker 7: Skier, So I know what I'm doing, so I try and you know, stay with my group and do my thing. But yeah, I love all of that stuff. I like microdosing, I like macro dosing. I like anything.
Speaker 5: What about dyah washing.
Speaker 7: I've done, That's that's what That's a special on Netflix too.
Speaker 6: Chelsea does drugs.
Speaker 7: But I have to say, you know, I talk so openly about drugs and drug use because I think there are ways to use drugs in very responsible ways. I mean, like we just discussed. This is my seventh book. I'm about to release my fifth stand up special. You know, like I'm a productive human being. I'm like, I'm contributing to society. You don't have to be a derelic because you like drugs. You can't become a drug addict, but you can definitely have fun with drugs and alcohol and still remain very responsible.
Speaker 4: Did you ever all these years have you did you ever have any problems? Did you ever feel like you were crossing that line where you were it was a little too much? Was it affecting your work? Did you ever have a moment We're like damn, yeah, in.
Speaker 7: Moments where I'm like, oh, I get better dial it in, you know, like I'm getting a little too loosey goosey, or I'm having too much fun, or I was partying a little bit too much, you know, And that's when you when you're really tired and you're working really hard, and then you add partying on top of it.
Speaker 6: That's not a great combination for me anyway.
Speaker 7: So I've always had to kind of, you know, like take those moments in and understand, Hey, I don't want to ever have to give anything.
Speaker 6: Up, So I'd rather get control of.
Speaker 7: The situation now and be a little bit more tempered with my use. But yeah, as it stands now, everything's going swimmingly.
Speaker 1: Hey, Chelsea, take me through your mental health stuff. Because I don't know if you know, but Marshaun famously in his last press conference in his last game said take care of your mentals, take care of your chicken, and that became kind of a huge thing in sports today in terms of that. You've been big on mental health too, in regards your podcast and everything else. Take me through your mental health Either did you have struggles with it or you just like giving out advice and help people out.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't had any like mental health struggles.
Speaker 7: I went to therapy in a big way when I was forty because it was right after the twenty sixteen election and I couldn't believe it, and I.
Speaker 6: Just I was I had a Netflix.
Speaker 7: Show, I was doing a talk show, my second one, and I was just not feeling right, you know, And so I went to therapy for the first time in a long time. Like I had so much anger that it wasn't it wasn't normal. It was like it was something else. It wasn't I couldn't just be met at Donald Trump and his veneered family, you know, like I had there was a bigger issue that I had to unpack. And my brother died when I was nine years old, and I had never really kind of spoken about that to anyone.
Speaker 6: So that's what that was.
Speaker 7: And you know, when you don't deal with something when it happens, it's delayed grief, and it builds up up and builds up and builds up, and then it hits. Whatever your trauma is will come and find you when it's you know, when it stops working for you. Because in many ways, my trauma was working for me because I was so outspoken and I was so kind of like, you know, determined, and I didn't have time for feelings because I was just on a path of success and I wanted to succeed and I loved what I was doing. And then it started to not work for me, and I started to get really angry, and you know, and unpacking that was kind of how my podcast, which is called Dear Chelsea, where real people call in for advice, because a I just think that's the best way to get advice is to get someone's opinion who's not involved in your family, your relationship, or any of the stuff that you're upset about. You need an objective point of view. And I'm a truth teller, so I always want the best for everyone, and I want to tell people the truth, even if it's hard to hear. You know, a lot of people aren't that interested in hearing the truth.
Speaker 6: But my podcast was born out of that.
Speaker 7: I just had such a great experience going to their therapy and learning about self awareness, learning about how I'm perceived, and learning what my triggers are and my shortcomings and kind of readjusting my.
Speaker 6: Personality, you know what, I mean to be a lot more loving.
Speaker 7: And kind and sensitive to other people rather than just like bull dozing my.
Speaker 6: Way and being like this is who I am.
Speaker 7: It was like, no, actually, why don't you listen and talk and find out what everyone else is like?
Speaker 6: It's not all about you.
Speaker 7: You don't have the responsibility that you have to entertain everyone all the time.
Speaker 6: And then when I.
Speaker 7: Got out of therapy, I was like, Okay, this is great. I have all of this information and knowledge and I wanted to share it with everybody.
Speaker 6: So I was like, what's the best way to do that.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh, I'll do an advice podcast, because they kept asking me to do a podcast and I was like, I don't.
Speaker 6: I have nothing new to say.
Speaker 7: And then I was like, oh, this is new, Like I'll do I'll talk to real life people who will call in like a dear Abby. So that's been really fun and it's been a huge success, so I'm psyched about that.
Speaker 6: It's like, I think we're in our fifth season.
Speaker 4: And Chelsea, did you I mean you when you say you stop therapy, literally there's no refreshers. You don't check back in every couple of months, I mean you. I mean you literally you sought something, you found it, and now you're good.
Speaker 6: No, I do have refreshers, like when I'm here in Whistler.
Speaker 7: I just talked to my therapist yesterday. When I have downtime, I take advantage of it and I find therapy like I just never wanted to be one of those people who was in therapy interminably, you know, like if you're going to therapy for sixteen years, I'm sorry, but I don't think that's working. Like you, you should be able to go for the big problems and the big issues, and then you should be able to go incrementally when something pops up and you're having a hard time with it.
Speaker 6: In my personal view, that's how I feel.
Speaker 7: But I think the funny thing, and Marshaun tell me if you guys agree with this too, is like you go to therapy, and I went pretty heavily for like two years, and I learned all this stuff right, And you have.
Speaker 6: To like take all that information and like absorb it right like you're learning. You're learning.
Speaker 7: It's like going to school, and then there's summer break, and the summer break is the time where you kind of observe everything you learned in third grade. You're like, oh, okay, I know all this information, and now it kind of lives with you. But then the third step of therapy is you have to apply all of the stuff you learned into your life while while keeping the good parts of your personality the same. So it's quite an adjustment to make because initially when I came in a therapy, I just was all of a sudden, very quiet. I go to dinner parties and people are like, why aren't you fucking talking? And I'd be like, oh, I've just you know, my therapist told me that I don't have to be the you know, center of the of the party, and I don't have my responsibility to entertain everyone. And my friends would be like, you're fucking boring, Like where's the old Chelsea?
Speaker 6: We want her back? And I'm like, no, no, no, no, she's gone. I'm like, there's a new version of it. I don't know where.
Speaker 7: And I kept auditioning like newer versions of my self to see what clicked, and then finally it all does click.
Speaker 6: But it's quite an arduous process.
Speaker 4: I love that Mark Shaun, you have any I mean, you know you've been out there preaching, but are you practicing? Brother?
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just went like with the with the new information that you get, now, you just got to be held accountable to it. And I mean, you know, I think, you know, just giving you an example of it, like you know, you got all this information and then you actually applied it.
Speaker 2: And I believe that that's how.
Speaker 3: I mean you got to the point that that you got to where you say, yeah, work, then you found the best version of yourself.
Speaker 2: So I do believe it worked.
Speaker 3: But I mean, you know, and in terms of the mental health, uh situation, just like I was having a lot of teammates who I mean we uh, you know, like we want to the.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl together, and I mean they got.
Speaker 3: To a dark place and some of the things that they were saying to me, you know it kind of it kind of fucked me up a little bit. And uh, just just just reminding them, like, you know, things to be thankful for. And yeah, I mean in reality, what it did for them was I mean, it brought them out of a dark place and that was able to re emerriage am out of you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That dark cloud that there was under. So I mean I do agree with that.
Speaker 3: But it's always like that with new information, now you got to be accountable to it, and then you got to learn how to i mean process and filter through it to make it i mean the best version for yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And like the gratitude piece of it is so important, right, And it sounds corny in the beginning. Wh if you hear it and you're not practicing gratitude or you don't have a gratitude journal or whatever you know people do.
Speaker 6: I'm one of the people who do it.
Speaker 7: Like, if I'm especially in a dark mood or a dark period of time or a stressful period of time, that is the first thing I do when I wake up is write down fifteen things I'm grateful for, because like, in order to be happy, you have to be you have to have gratitude and you have to be grateful.
Speaker 6: Like those two things are linked together.
Speaker 7: And it's so easy to focus on the negative things that are happening. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the news and focus on that and think the world's coming to an end. But it's so much more rewarding to actually look at all of the things in your life that are going well, look at all the people that you love, look at all the impact that you've had, and want to keep that fire burning, you know, and choose light instead of dark, especially like you know, finding optimism in the dark.
Speaker 1: Well, Chelsea, I'm curious in terms of your call in how many of them are younger people, teenagers and whatnot, because they're dealing with all the you know, all the social media stuff and they're you know, they see stuff, they all think life's great and all these stuff, and that fucks a lot of these kids up these days, you know, in terms of what they're looking at and like oh, this is great and everyone's going to beach.
Speaker 5: Somewhere and you know, in a yacht and it's like, come on, dude, scheme you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Yes, exactly, Sorry, guys, I just had to disrobe. It's very hot in here. My fire is burning, so my cheeks are getting very rosy.
Speaker 5: Keep it coming, Chelsea, keep it coming.
Speaker 6: I'm coming on to Marshall.
Speaker 7: And actually, yeah, no, we don't get a lot of teenagers, but we get a lot of young people.
Speaker 6: We get a lot of young people, you know.
Speaker 7: Young adults and who are really dealing with you know, being trans or being gay and their family's reaction to coming out. You know, a lot of the LGBTQ community and a lot of eating disorders, a lot of young girls who are really insecure and need a boost of confidence and need like an injection of confidence.
Speaker 6: And you know, my audience is primarily women and.
Speaker 7: Gay men, so I try to really inject confidence into every young person that I can.
Speaker 4: Have you found, Chelsea over the last I mean what you started this podcast? What in twenty twenty one?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes?
Speaker 4: So has there been Have you seen a trend over the last number of years in terms of that subject matter? Have you seen things sort of shift with the I mean, because the last these are a hell of a few years to have a podcast, right, with all the social unrest and COVID and all the anxieties, and you mentioned all the elections new elections. I mean, has there been Are you finding sort of similar themes over the course last five years?
Speaker 7: Limtly themes, but like a lot of political discontent within families, like.
Speaker 6: A lot of people who don't know how to deal.
Speaker 7: With their families, you know, who are on the opposite side of things, And that's a big, big theme, Like you know, how do I have how do I celebrate Christmas with my parents when they voted for Donald Trump and I'm a lesbian. Stuff like that is pretty prevalent. But yeah, I mean it has been a crazy you.
Speaker 6: Know, that's what's amazing.
Speaker 7: Like I remember thinking the world was over when Trump was elected in twenty sixteen, and here we are now again and it's happening again, and it's like, I don't feel the same way I felt, like, yes, I hate this, it totally sucks. But I don't think the world is over. I think the world is too big to be over anytime soon. I think there's too many things that.
Speaker 6: Are working well.
Speaker 7: You know, while there are things that aren't going well, there are many things that are and it's our job to highlight those things and really stay focused and positive for the people that can't really bring themselves to do that.
Speaker 4: You know, I love it. I mean, it's the only attitude to have right now. And it's the resilient mindset. By the way, speaking of mindset just generally and sort of end of a year, turning the page forget elections. But at the end of the year, beginning of a new year, are you a new Year's resolution person?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 4: I mean you talk about morning journals on gratitude. Do you lay out or have you done that over your career? Set specific goals. Are you one of those goal oriented people? What do you tend to do in terms of just setting out as a plan for your own life.
Speaker 6: I don't really give a shit about New Year's resolutions.
Speaker 7: I mean, I just find all of that to be so silly, Like, if that works for you, do it. But for me, it's not like one day I'm going to become a different person.
Speaker 6: Every day.
Speaker 7: It is intentionally meant for me to act and in my best interest, in everyone's best interest, you know, to be a good person, to be loving, to be generous, to be kind, to really see people you know, and because there's so many people who feel unseen, and I find that to be the most heartbreaking thing about our society.
Speaker 6: So many kids and so many young adults.
Speaker 7: That just they feel invisible, they don't feel like anyone's out for them. So I like to focus my energy on that and a lot of other people. But I find that, you know, things work differently for different people, obviously, like New Year's resolutions. Know, like I wouldn't even know what my New Year's resolution would be, but I don't feel the need to even have one you know what I mean, because I'm always getting better. I'm going to be fifty this year, like my level of joyfulness is here when it.
Speaker 6: Used to be here.
Speaker 5: Where's the party, Chelsea? Are we invited at her book party?
Speaker 4: I'll have what she's having.
Speaker 6: It's going to be in Spain. It's going to be in New York.
Speaker 7: This book comes out on my fiftieth birthday, so I'll be having a book party.
Speaker 6: In New York. There will be one in La. I'm going to go for it, and this whole year, I'm just going to crush it because I'm people to know how joyful iterations and.
Speaker 7: To be crushing it in this way, you know, like I feel and look better than I have in my entire life. So I want to reclaim that number because obviously it doesn't mean what it used to when my parents were fifty.
Speaker 6: They could have wrapped it up. You know.
Speaker 7: I'm getting started in my second act, so I'm pretty pumped up about it.
Speaker 5: Did you imagine I love that Chelsea was.
Speaker 2: Your ten year old self.
Speaker 4: Did your ten year old self ever see you where you are at fifty? I mean at forty? I imagine you didn't see where you were at fifty when you were.
Speaker 7: Struggling, my ten year old self would be really psyched. In the book, I write a letter to myself as a young girl, saying, like what I dream that I would become as a woman Like that I would be bold, that I would be confident, that I would travel the world, that I would never get married, that I'd have tons of.
Speaker 6: Lovers all over the world. All of those things are true.
Speaker 7: Like I have lived this life that has exceeded any of my expectations.
Speaker 6: I have so much fun. I get to come up to my house and whistler for four months during winter. I bought a house in Spain. I learned Spanish. I learned how to ski like a pro.
Speaker 7: Like anything I've set my mind to, I've accomplished, and I want everyone to know, like things get better when you start caring less about everything else. Right, Everyone says, oh, fifty, you feel so much more confident, blah blah blah. But it's more than that. It's like, I don't date losers anymore. I don't have time for any of that. I only date men who are going to enhance my life and be an additive. I only do things that are going to bring me joy and create joy for others like you become selfish, but in the best way, because when you're having a good time, especially someone who's on stage performing in front of people all the time, if I'm in a good mood, then it's so much easier to spread that joyfulness.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I freaking love you. You are a mar Sean.
Speaker 1: I mean, first of all, we got to take a little boondog out of Spain, Marshan.
Speaker 5: I mean, Chelsea, I.
Speaker 4: Thought it was you're going up to Canada and now you're off to Spain.
Speaker 5: Well, my wife's from Canada.
Speaker 6: The LSD is legal in Spain as well.
Speaker 4: Just let you guys, unbelievable, d U I s LSD. You know the hell? Is this a bit?
Speaker 5: Chelsea? I want to ask you a question, Chelsea.
Speaker 1: I am a father of two rockstar girl athletes and a son too. But I got two great volleyball players. I got one plane in college and I got another one in high school. That's a great beach and indoor player. So you got you love women's sports. His big advocate. Don't you own a volleyball league or an investor?
Speaker 2: I own one?
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, I'm an investor. I invested in love volley ball. That's going to be huge though, So I'm psyched. You said your daughter plays volleyball.
Speaker 1: One of my well, my oldest daughter plays at cal Poly indoor, and then I got my freshman who's a badass beach and indoor player as well. So I'm a volleyball dad through and in fact more uncle more Shaan has been in many of the games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cute, most definitely definite and support.
Speaker 7: I mean it is growing so fast, female volleying, women's volleyball is the fastest growing sport right now.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a it's a it's a funny sport. They are athletes. It's credible athleticism by the way it is. In fact, beach volleyball is the fastest growing college sport, and indoor volleyballs you know from obviously college level and pro level is taken off like nuts. And it's fun, dude, It's a fun sport, man.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: Well, it's fun to see the girls, especially girls volleyball just well guys, but the energy in the camaraderie just you know, even if you miss a shot, everybody is like all huddled up, and you know, my kids are just getting into a Doug's by the way, Doug Doug, you may be he's short selling that you've got. He's got potentially two Olympic athletes. It's ridiculous. He's his own agent. He's already got an NF nil deal. Crazy is that men's volleyball?
Speaker 6: I don't think I've ever seen that.
Speaker 4: It's a good point. It's a good point.
Speaker 5: No, No, there is there no men's Olympic volleyball.
Speaker 1: And obviously high school in LA is very big for men, and then college is like twenty schools that are really good and like Long Beach State, UCLA, Ohio State or Epic and obviously the Olympics, and then Beach volleyball the guys are good too.
Speaker 5: So it's it's fun, it's a great sport.
Speaker 4: I love it so by the way, so speaking of Epic, just because I got it, sort of build on this, Chelsea. I mean, I love New Year's Resolutions aside, but it's it's not patronizing to say, because you kind of implied it yourself. How you feel is your rolling into fifty years old and feeling like you've you've accomplished so much and you've had per and meeting I think behind it because you consistently and I think that's one of the things that I really identify with you. You don't just entertain, You're not just funny, but you educate. And there's always been sort of a sober relationship to guests you've had on all your shows and your documentaries talking about substance of issues and meaningful issues. Obviously a podcast that lends so much to so many, but it's you know, are the things left and the agenda? I mean, do you have a goal that you haven't achieved? Do you have a mindset around goal setting? Is there another Netflix series that you that's on the horizon that you've always wanted? Are the things you feel like? You know you're not there yet, but you know one day you're going to get you know, Mission Impossible six A co star. I mean, what what what what's out there that you haven't attained or what are you looking forward to most in the next decade.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm mostly I don't have plans. I don't make like five year plans. I don't think like you know, I don't like being told what to do by a lot of people. So that's why I kind of do my own thing.
Speaker 3: A lot.
Speaker 7: I do my stand up, I release a special every tour. I write my own books, and I do my podcast and when I had my shows, you know, I've been given a lot of license in my creative endeavors. And now when I'm fifty, I'm like, Okay, I'm ready to try some new stuff, Like I'm ready to do some more acting. I'm ready to do some more like stuff that I haven't been known for, but only with myself in charge, you know what I mean. I'm not I'm not interested in like I have to have a voice in everything I do. I have to be have a hand in writing everything I do. I'm not really for sale or for hire.
Speaker 6: In that way that is traditional.
Speaker 7: It's just doesn't It doesn't serve me well when I have any man or woman telling me what to do. Although I would take it more easily from a woman, but I just don't. I don't need it, do you know what I mean? Everything's fine for me financially. It's not like I have to work. I only want to do things that are going to spread joy and laughter and sunshine. That is all I'm interested in doing, and my pursuit for that, whether it's career or personal.
Speaker 6: I feel like those two things are just so you know, dovetailed in my life.
Speaker 7: Like I work really hard and then I vacation really hard. And I take having fun very seriously, like I think part of my profession is being fun.
Speaker 6: Like I feel like it is professional to be fun. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh, you and Marshawn are twins, and Marshaw says, but it's not a hell yet. It's a hell fucking no, marsh.
Speaker 6: I feel totally totally.
Speaker 7: It's like I don't want to have long conversations about doing anything or committing to anything.
Speaker 6: I know instinctively what's what's going to work for me and what's not.
Speaker 7: Although I did just get an opportunity which I can't talk about that really has me excited.
Speaker 6: My agents just brought me something and they're like, this is.
Speaker 7: A really good use of your time. And I was like, oh my god, how long would this take? And they're like four weeks and I'm like, okay, so I can't take But it's again, it's something I haven't done yet.
Speaker 6: Because I'm fifty.
Speaker 7: It's like I've got all the things I want. I managed to not get married, not to have any children, so that's a home run.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm both ry your.
Speaker 4: What is your opposition of marriage?
Speaker 6: By the way, just don't want to be tethered to any one person.
Speaker 7: I don't want to have to consult with anyone about anything. You know, if I want to get up and go to Abu Dhabi one morning, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 6: But if I do, I don't want to talk to anyone about it. I just want to go.
Speaker 7: I don't want to have anyone telling me what their opinions of my behavior is or if I should be away for this long.
Speaker 6: I'm just fiercely independent and and I love that.
Speaker 7: So now I'm going to flex some muscles that I probably haven't flexed yet since you know, I've had such a good time here on earth and in my life, and now I'm mature and responsible. So I think this year I will take on some things I haven't done before. I want to challenge myself a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Marshawn, you're shaking your head.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that's be I like that.
Speaker 1: By the way, Marshaan is I'm not married, doesn't have kids either. He doesn't want you to be telling any what to do either.
Speaker 4: That's why I said, he's shaking his head, Doug, and you and I are shaking our heads, maybe in a different direction.
Speaker 2: We have a very different bath.
Speaker 1: Well, thankfully, Chelsea, thankfully I have a wife. Was cool as shit, and she let me do what I need to do, which is pretty damn nice. So I but by the way, I'm with you, I never had a girlfriend in my entire life until I met my wife because I was said, why would someone buy somebody present or want to call somebody if they're not going to marry them. That's the girl. I'm not going to fuck around, cheat and all that. So like, I never never had a girlfriend ever until I met my wife. And then I'm like, oh my god. Then I met her and I'll make us over and we've been married happily for twenty four years. But I never had that. I was you for my entire life until I was thirty one, and I'm like, I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 5: Gonna do no one could tell me what to do. Fuck that, I'm doing my own thing.
Speaker 1: And then I met her, I'm like, Okay, I got I can have the best of both worlds, right, Marshawn.
Speaker 6: That's great, And also listen, no offense to anyone who wants children or wants to be married. Go for it, Go get a baby if you want one. I just know that's not for me.
Speaker 7: And I think it's also really important for people to know when they're not cut out for parenting, because you're doing the world a favor by not becoming a parent, you know, and also freeze you up to be generous to a whole slew of children in your life. I have nine nieces and nephews. I have tons of kids in my life. I wouldn't have all those kids in my life if I had become a parent, I wouldn't have had the bandwidth.
Speaker 1: Hey, Chelsea, give me give me two comedians you would pay to see.
Speaker 5: Give me two that you like.
Speaker 1: I have to go and maybe maybe you've already seen it, but that are out there right now, young old whatever that you would go line up to go see tomorrow.
Speaker 2: H Yah.
Speaker 6: Monika Saunders, she's hilarious.
Speaker 7: She opens for me on the road sometimes and she's one of the funniest people I've ever met.
Speaker 6: And rosebud Baker, Okay.
Speaker 4: All right, what makes what makes them so good? What's unique about them?
Speaker 7: Well, Yamnica's funny because she just gets up and yells at white people for just being white and why why like she she and it's not it, and it's it's very thoughtful and educated, and it's like I'm always trying to like show my audience the whole world, you know, not just like what being a white, middle aged blonde woman is.
Speaker 6: Like I want a full spectrum of experience.
Speaker 7: And she's somebody we couldn't have come from more opposite backgrounds or have different it have had different experiences, but she is someone who really lays it out in such a great entertaining way for people, just so that white people can kind of take a look at themselves and look at their part, especially white women, you know, look at their part in what happened in this election, look at their part in society.
Speaker 6: Look how just clueless we can be.
Speaker 7: And she does it in a hilarious way, like it's an indictment on white people, and I love it. Mnika Saunders Instagram. I mean, you'll get a flavor of what I'm talking about. And rosebud Baker is a writer on SNL, but she's a great stand up and she's really sharp, really funny, her grandfather was James Baker.
Speaker 6: Actually, and and you know what's so funny. I was at George W.
Speaker 7: Bush's compound in Kenny Bunkport a couple of summers ago, and he was like George W.
Speaker 6: Bush.
Speaker 7: I was also on three edibles when I met him. F y had to be to go over to that house, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And he goes, I think you and I have someone in common.
Speaker 7: And I was like, first of all, I said, I don't think we have anybody in common.
Speaker 6: He goes, oh, we do, we do.
Speaker 4: He's like.
Speaker 6: A guy from my I think he was the Secretary of State, James Baker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was everything. He was well, he was Gore in the Supreme Court. I mean, he was the guy who was the lead counsel for at least the point person and Bush b Gore.
Speaker 6: Oh right, right, right, right, right, Okay, there we go.
Speaker 4: No, man, he's a legend. He's one of the greats. And forget being partisan, and he's he was a next level quality old school Republican, unbelievably powerful, unbelievably eloquent in terms of how he used and exercises power. I'm being generous disagree with him on nine out of ten damn issues. But he was a force to be reckoned with.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this is his granddaughter. And George W. Bush was the first person who said, he goes, we you and I have someone in common.
Speaker 7: There's a new girl coming out and she's a lot like you, and she's got a foul mouth and she's got a lot of strong opinions.
Speaker 6: And he's like, and her name is rosebud Baker, and I was like, you know, rosebud Baker.
Speaker 7: I had just signed a deal with rosebud Baker to develop a TV show for her a few years ago.
Speaker 6: So that was really funny. We actually did have someone in common.
Speaker 7: And then he went on to show me his personal painting collection of his personal painting.
Speaker 4: That's right, Hey, it is great to catch up with you. Thank you for taking the time to join us, and thank you for taking the time to write what will be your seventh best book. I'll have what She's Having, which is out on what It's out February twenty fifth. Yep, and it's available. You go on what, you can go on everything right now. Pre order the book.
Speaker 2: Yes, happy early birthday, Thank you buddy.
Speaker 6: I had a pleasure speaking with you. Three gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thank you, Chelsea