Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Brusso from Bloomberg Radio. It's a stunning, perhaps unprecedented decision that puts Donald Trump's business empire at risk of dissolution and strips control of key properties from the former president. Judge Arthur and Goren ruled that Trump repeatedly committed fraud by inflating the value of his assets by billions of dollars on financial records submitted to banks and insurers. He wrote scathingly about Trump's defenses, saying they were a fantasy, not reality. The documents do not say what they say. There is no such thing as objective value. Essentially, the court should not believe its own eyes, even quoting a famous line from the Marx Brothers Movieyes. The judge concluded by saying that New York Attorney General Letitia James is now entitled to a court order dissolving any certificates issue to Trump's LLC's, putting his ability to continue operating his sprawling Manhattan based company at risk. Joining me is former federal prosecutor Robert Mintz, a partner Maccarter and English. Would you say this decision is unprecedented, rare, uncommon, how would you describe it?
Speaker 2: It certainly is a rare decision. There is not a lot of history in the New York State of a judge actually dissolving a company under these circumstances. Usually companies tivily die in bankruptcy cases. So this is something where there is not a lot of precedent, and it has spawned a lot of confusion, not only by people who are looking at this case from the outside, but even by the lawyers who are involved in the case. There are a lot of questions as to exactly how the court is going to try to implement this decision.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the substance of the decision. Tell us why the judge decided that Trump had committed fraud.
Speaker 2: The essence of the judge's decision is that Donald Trump and his two oldest sons and his businesses orchestrated what the judge called a persistent and repeated fraud in which they vastly exaggerated the extent of the former president's wealth to procure favorable loans. And they did that in order to try to benefit the financially these companies and get these very favorable loans based upon collateral ements that the judge found was highly inflated.
Speaker 1: Trump's penthouse in Manhattan that's been used as an example of the exaggeration or inflation.
Speaker 2: In that case, the judge found that former President Trump had engaged in fraud by repeatedly claiming that his penthouse at Trump Power, which according to most records, is slightly under eleven thousand square feet. According to the judge, former President Trump and his businesses would assert that the apartment is nearly three times bigger than it was in reality. The judge said that Trump's annual statements of financial condition used this false square footage to inflate its network by as much as two hundred and seven million dollars in twenty twelve, when Trump valued the penous that is staggering one hundred and eighty million dollars. According to the judge, no apartment sold in New York City had ever approached that price, and the judge essentially said that while there may be some subjectivity in terms of evaluating the square footage and the value of an apartment, this was on an order of magnitude that, in his mind, showed a clear attempt to simply inflate numbers and a knowing violation of the law, and the judge found that former President Trump had fraudulently inflated the value of this department to a staggering degree.
Speaker 1: The judge's tone was scathing. He wrote, at one point in defense tenants world rent, regulated apartments are worth the same as unregulated apartments. Restricted land is worth the same as unrestricted land. Restrictions can evaporate into thin air. And then he said that is a fantasy world, not the real world.
Speaker 2: Well, the judge was clearly incensed by the conduct here and did go through numerous examples of where he thought that the conduct was simply not tethered to reality. He even went so far as to sanction the lawyers for making some arguments on behalf of former President Trump on the Trump organization, arguments that he said had already been discredited and were simply frivolous. That the judge clearly was not at all accepting of the defenses that were being put forward by the Trump organization, and wrote a very very aggressive decision here, going through in great detail examples of what he felt was conduct that was clearly fraudulent.
Speaker 1: Bob that seventy five hundred dollars sanctioned for Trump's lawyers for making arguments he'd previously rejected. I mean, don't lawyers repeat arguments that have lost in court all the time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a bit of an unusual ruling. Usually judges do give defense lawyers latitude to make arguments, which they do repeatedly. Sometimes, if a lawyer finds that they make an argument that's unsuccessful, they try to make it in a slightly different way to give the judge another opportunity to perhaps rule differently, so to thanks to them for making an argument simply on the basis that they had previously made it to something that you do not see very often.
Speaker 1: What was the defense.
Speaker 2: The heart of the defense by the Trump organization and by former President Trump's lawyers was that the banks in question, including Deutsche Bank in this case, these are the banks that made the loans allegedly based upon these inflated valuations of the collateral. The defense argued that these banks were not defrauded at all, because all of the loans were ultimately repaid and the banks in fact made quite a bit of money on those loans. The judge did not buy that argument, saying that it's not fair to suggest that no harm had been done to these banks when they loan money to the Trump organization. The judge pointed out that the first principle of loan accounting is that as the risk rises, so to the interest rates. So essentially, what the judge was saying is that while in this case the loans were repaid and the banks in fact did make money on loaning money to the Trump organization, had they known what the real value of the collateral was, they would have raised the interest rates and the banks would have made even more money. So that's where they were victimized here, and the judge's eyes, the banks were misled in order to make a loan at a lower rate than they should have made it if the true value of the collateral were known to them at the time that the loan was extended to the Trump organization.
Speaker 1: A lawyer for Trump, Christopher Keyes, said that he would likely appeal the decision that's expected, which he called out rageous and completely disconnected from the facts and governing law. He said the judge ignored an early appeals court ruling and also ignored basic legal accounting and business principles. Do you think they have a good chance on appeal?
Speaker 2: Well, this is an aggressive decision, so it's going to be interesting to see what the appeals court does. One thing we can know for sure that once they file us appeal, it will likely stay the judges ruling, which means that nothing will really be done for quite a while, could be even years, while the appeals court takes this decision up. In the meantime, the judges' decision does require the appointment of a receiver, so we'll see whether that proceeds even while the appeal is pending.
Speaker 1: So describe the remedy that the judge has ordered or the punishment. I'm not sure what we call it.
Speaker 2: Well, the judges sweeping decision ordered that several of Trump's businesses be dissolved, and he ordered that a receiver be appointed to help in the dissolution of these entities. A lot of the decision is not entirely clear because the Trump organization itself is really just a shell organization, and it's composed of about five hundred various LLC's, all holding different properties and serving different purposes, and so exactly what the impact of the judge is ruling on these various LLC's is unclear. The Trump organization's lawyers, for example, raised the fact that former President Trump's two sons, Donald Junior and Eric live in homes which are in fact owned by these LLC's, and so the question was do they have to be removed from the homes? Do those homes have to be liquidated? They also asked whether mister Trump would have to sell assets including Trump Tower and forty Wall Street, which is a downtown commercial property, or whether those properties could be managed by an independent receiver rather than being dissolved and have to be sold. So there's lots of unanswered questions here as to how this order will be implemented, and even the judge acknowledged that he was not entirely certain as to how his order would be implemented and wanted to take more time in order to evaluate the implementation of its own order.
Speaker 1: Doesn't that point to a successful issue on appeal for Trump? If the judge himself, if this order is so novel that the judge himself doesn't know how it's going to be implemented, that the lawyers are confused. There are more questions here than answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a lot of unanswered questions. I mean, I think it's clear from the judges ruling that he is not intending or ordering that mister Trump's company be dissolved completely. But what it does do is it affects these LLC's, and by taking away the business certificates, it will make it impossible for those various LLC's to operate, which ultimately can have a crippling effect on the Trump organization. So this is a very significant decision. It's highly controversial. It's going up on appeal, and we'll have to see what the appeals court does here. I think there is certainly a possibility that the appeals court may overturn this decision, just because it's so unprecedented and because the effects of this decision are so sweeping on a major organization like the Trump organization, which employs hundreds of people on holds millions and millions of dollars in real estate, not only in New York State but also around the world.
Speaker 1: Apparently trial is starting next week. What's left to try.
Speaker 2: The essence of the judge's decision was that no trial was needed to determine that the Trump organization had fraudulently secured favorable terms on loans and insurance deals. But what exactly is left for the trial is not entirely clear. Even the state's lawyers had not worked out what was needed to go to trial at this point. But what we do know is that the judge will have to determine the extent of the fine he's going to order. The Attorney General has asked for as much as two hundred and fifty million dollars. The judge could also decide a trial whether to borrow the former president and his sons from running a business in the state. Ever again, those seem to be the issues that are remaining, but that will have to be worth out by the state lawyers, the defense, and the judge.
Speaker 1: Putting aside the financial consequences of this decision. For Trump, this attacks his persona, his brand, you know, being the billionaire real estate magnet. It's what he's all about.
Speaker 2: In pre trial hearings before this ruling, one of former president trump lawyers told the judge that former President Trump is an investment genius and probably one of the most successful real estate developers in the country. Clearly, this judge disagreed and actually said that he's a genius only in a fantasy world. So one of the things that's really an issue here is the Trump brand, is the perception of the Trump organization and the question of whether it is really one of the great successful real estate empires in Manhattan and even in the United States and around the world, or whether it was built on a basis of fraud and fraudulent statements, and in fact, as the judge said, the empire is really simply a fantasy based upon false information that was provided to give favorable loans to which the Trump organization was ultimately not entitled.
Speaker 1: It's also interesting that everyone's been paying attention to the criminal cases against Trump, but significant punishment was meted out here in a civil case.
Speaker 2: In the array of criminal and civil charges that former President Trump is facing, this is the first actual penalty that's been imposed upon him, and now we'll have to see whether it actually stands up on appeal, and we'll.
Speaker 1: See what happens at the trial next week. Thanks so much, Bob. That's former federal prosecutor Robert Mintz, a partner Maccarter and English. Coming up next, elon Musk's many lawsuits. I'm Jrean Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg. Elon Musk's leadership at Twitter and Tesla is the subject of three major face offs coming up in the Delaware Chancery Court next month. It's been a year since Musk, after months of court room and social media drama, purchase Twitter now renamed as X for forty four billion dollars. That deal allowed him to avoid a trial in the country's premiere venue for corporate litigation. But October will be a busy month for Musk. In that Delaware court. He'll face suits from a stockholder and pension funds questioning his lavish Tesla pay package, and further legal fallout from his Twitter By joining me to sort it all out? Is business law expert Eric Talley, a professor Columbia Law School. Let's talk first about his record breaking pay package of fifty five billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good work if you can get it, isn't it. I'm going to conjecture June that if either you or I had a fifty five billion dollar pay package, this call wouldn't be happening right now.
Speaker 1: You are definitely right on that one.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, this is an interesting case. It's a case that was brought years and years ago and was you know, essentially taken over by Chancellor McCormick. It ended up in a hearing some months ago. There definitely is a doctrine out there about, you know, fiduciary duties and whether exorbitant pay packages have the effect of breaching fiduciary duties, and this is sort of within that cluster of cases. The hard part about this is that, you know, in many respects, Elon Musk's compensation package, as it was fashioned back in you know, twenty seventeen or whatever, it was a lottery ticket, and who knew whether that lottery ticket was going to pay off and by how much it paid off? And you know, he essentially did the billionaire's version of hitting the powerball on this lottery ticket. It paid off almost to its maximal amount. And you know, I think part of the issue in the case, and probably what's going to feed into the opinion is, you know, to what extent should we or should we not use that sort of you know, twenty twenty hindsight to try to get a sense of whether everyone knew that this was going to be a a powerball ticket that paid off, or it really just turned out that, you know, the fortunes of Tesla outshine just about any conceivable picture that anyone would have painted at the time. Musk agreed to a lower fixed component of his salary for this lottery ticket version and it paid off. That's clearly the argument that Musk is going to make that in fact, incentive contracts are there for a reason this happened to hit the powerball lottery, but at the time there was no reason to expect that it would.
Speaker 1: Does it even factor in that they claim he's essentially a part time leader with other companies to run, strengthened by the fact that he seems to be spending a lot of time at X.
Speaker 3: He kind of has to now, right, because that's a particularly thorny situation he's in having closed that deal. Here's the interesting thing about this compensation litigation or dispute is that there have effectively been two defenses that Tesla has made to try to justify this package. One is the lottery ticket version. Right that we didn't know at the time whether this is going to pay off big or not pay off at all, and if it went the other direction, then Musk ends up walking away with a pretty minuscule salary. So that's one part of it. The other part of it, though, Tesla's argument is that they kind of the board had to give him a high powered incentive contract to keep his attention because he's sort of as distractable as a six month old labrador puppy, and if you don't keep his attention on a really shiny bouncing ball, then he's going to run off and do other things. Well, they gave him that compensation contract. It was a big one. He ended up running off and getting distracted by SpaceX and Twitter and the boring company and so forth. I guess I'm trying to figure out which way that cuts. Does that mean that they really should have given a bigger package to keep his attention on things or not? So it's hard to tell exactly which way that cuts. The fact that he is so distractable almost feeds into the argument that it would make sense to have a high powered incentive contract to keep his eyes focused on the fortunes of Tesla and not to get too waylaid by other shiny lights and bouncing balls.
Speaker 1: How much does Musk's testimony during that November twenty twenty two trial that he played no part in the board's decision, So is the independence of the boarding coming to this decision important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big deal. It's it's kind of an interesting situation right now with Twitter because just last year, a totally different case involved Tesla and its decision to purchase a very struggling solar energy company called Solar City. That case ended up resulting in an Elon Musk win, but it did so in an odd way. The judge in that case, you know, everyone sort of expected the judge in that case was going to have to decide whether he was going to declare that Elon Musk was a controlling shareholder of Tesla, and if that was true and the only one owns about twenty one twenty two percent of the stock or did at the time, if that is true, that he's deemed to be a sufficiently large stockholder, that he's a controller, that puts a larger onus of fiduciary obligation on him. And it also calls into question whether he might sort of just dominate and control everyone on the board, and therefore you can't just trust the board to be making independent judgments. So a lot of people thought that in that Solar City case, we would learn answers to whether Elon Musk was a controller or not. But the judge in that case, Vice Chancellor Slights, who has tens left the bench. He crafted kind of an interesting opinion that essentially was able to dodge that. He said, I'm just going to pretend like Elon Musk is a controller, but I'm still now going to conclude that the way that they did this solar city deal satisfied even the heightened requirements that I would otherwise impose on a controller. And by doing that, he basically said, look, I'm subjecting Elon Musk, at least for argument's sake, to the most rigorous test that we have in Delaware, and he passes, and therefore I don't have to decide whether he's a controller or not, because he would win even if he were a controller. Now that left open this question that survives to this case about well, what is his status? Does he own enough stock that he can pretty much, you know, influence or has a good chance of influencing the entirety of the board, And therefore, in this case is going to have to be put under much more of a microscope, and maybe the board's judgment about this compensation package shouldn't be trusted as much, and so there will be kind of an interesting question about whether Chancellor McCormick in this case, you know, pursues the same strategy as Vice Chancellor's light, deciding not to decide whether he's a controlling stockholder and saying, assuming that he is, this still is okay under Delaware law. Now if in her opinion, ah boy, whether he's a controller or not really matters for the outcome of this case, because if he is a controlling stockholder, then he hasn't met his burden to defend this thing. But if he's not a controlling stockholder, he gets a lot more different. If she decides that that's the case, she's going to have to make a call on whether having twenty one twenty two percent of the stock of Tesla is enough to make him a controlling shareholder. I think a lot of us that teach in this area are sort of hoping that we'll hear something along those lines, but it's not clear to me which way it goes. Because Tesla did put up, you know, I think some pretty flashy testimony about, you know, the idea that this was the type of compensation package that's like a lottery ticket, and this lottery ticket just happened to pay off, but there are all kinds of scenarios in which it might not.
Speaker 1: If it's just a regular CEO, there's no question about controlling stock. Are there parameters that the judges used to determine whether a CEO's pay is fair or not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are. There are a couple things that are an issue here. So one is, even if it's just the CEO, the CEO still on a director by director basis may have extra pull and extra influence, and that's something that you have to be mindful of when setting compensation. But to the extent that there are directors who are sufficiently independent of mister Musk that they can exercise their own judgment, and if he's just an ordinary CEO, then they're kind of the presumption goes in that direction, then their disinterested assessment of the propriety of this compensation package, and then their vote amongst the disinterested directors to permit it. Gets a lot of deference under Delaware law that in order to challenge that, it basically is protected by something known as the business judgment rule. Which isn't quite a conclusion that Tesla's going to win this case, but it's pretty close to that. It's basically saying, boy, you better be able to provide us evidence that these directors, even though they weren't influenced or dominated or controlled by mister Musk, they basically were just phoning it in and they didn't really care about the welfare of Tesla or Tesla's stockholders. And you know, that's a hard boundary to get over. It was famously tested almost a quarter century ago involving the then CEO of Disney, Michael Ovitz, who was let go and handed one hundred and sixty million dollars on his way out the door, and stockholders challenged it. But because the board of directors and the compensation committee was deemed to be sufficiently independent of him, the court basically said, yeah, this doesn't rise to that level of them just basically being indifferent about the value to Disney, and there was a rationale for what they did. And so the stockholders lost in that case. And so that Disney case almost certainly will rear its head if that's the nature of the bottom line here, and that Musk is found to be by Chancellor McCormick just an ordinary CEO and not a controlling stockholder.
Speaker 1: Coming up Next, the legal fallout from must purchase of Twitter. This is Bloomberg. I've been talking to Professor Eric Talley of Columbia Law School about how Elon Musk's leadership at Twitter and Tesla is the subject of three major face offs coming up in the Delaware Court of Chancery in October. Now, let's talk about there's legal fallout from Musk buying Twitter, which he's for some reason renamed x which everyone now describes as formerly Twitter. There are numerous lawsuits over whether xo's millions to former employees, vendors, and landlords, including whether more than one point six million dollars in legal fees are owed to Twitter's ex CEO.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, when Musk took over Twitter, but before we renamed it acts, there was a big house cleaning and then sitting CEO and pretty much most of the senior management and a lot of mid level management was just shown the door. And there are allegations out there that they were shown the door in a way it was violative of their contract rights to have you know, effectively golden parachute. No, if there's a you know, change of ownership, that all there's options would vest and so forth and Twitter basically stiffed them on those payments. That has given rise to a lot of different lawsuits. Each of them is probably going to be a little bit different in nature, and typically you actually don't see this after an acquisition then, you know, usually that's part of the assumption is you know, there are these contract rights that I'm not going to be able to avoid paying. Twitter seems to have been a little bit more or the new Twitter seems to have been a little bit more litigious about about this and trying to fight the contractual rights, you know, many of which are available on the SEC's website. They look pretty typical and at least on first blush, just based on the terms of those deals, there's nothing like kind of weird or exotic or sketchy about them. So, you know, my guess is Twitter is going to try to make an argument that for some reason, there was conduct by these employees before they were they were released, and therefore when Twitter and mister Musk basically showed them the door, he did so because he had cause to fire them. Unclear whether that is true or not, but that the defense that Twitter is going to be putting forward, because usually these these contracts say look, I'm going to get this payment unless I am terminated for cause or something along those lines or some other type of misbehavior. So that's almost certainly going to be the legal strategy that Twitter takes on. But you know, in some ways, that's not a single argument that you can make for every one of these folks, every single one of them. You kind of have to say, oh, and then here's why this person was fired for cause, and here's why this other person was fired for cause. So it is a big and somewhat of an uphill legal battle to do that. You know, It's it's kind of an interesting question about whether that uphill battle is in part kind of predicated against a ticking clock of trying to understand just how much money Twitter or X or whatever you want to call it has it in the bank to operate right now, given that it is now a heavily indebted company and is having to pay significant interest rate payments. And so maybe if it's kind of thinking, gosh, we may be entering a zone of insolvement sometime soon, this possibly could just a strategy to put off having to pay these former employees until the whole company is in Chapter eleven and they're restructuring every creditors sorts of claim.
Speaker 1: So there's also a settlement over a lawsuit brought by a pension fund over executive compensation packages at Tesla. There's going to be an October thirteenth hearing on that settlement.
Speaker 3: That one is a little bit different because that one, I think has to do with director compensation at Tesla and not Musk's compensation, if I am not mistaken, And so it's kind of based on different facts. Because it's settled, we don't exactly know how things are going to come out. Usually with these settlements that both sides sort of say, we think we had a strong case, but there are of course risks that we might lose, and therefore we think this is a reasonable settlement amount. And so my guess is those things typically are going to end up getting signed off on. But you know, in recent months famously, the Delaware chance Re Court has become an entertaining, if somewhat frenetic landscape on which people suddenly show up and object to settlement, such as in the AMC settlement last month in front of Vice Chancellor's earned So my guess is this ends up sort of failing through. A successful settlement of a case is usually seen by all sides as you know, kind of a victory, including the judges who now don't have to adjudicate the case. But you know, you never know whether an objector is going to have some traction. There are always a few people who are kind of thinking that this should have been a more lucrative settlement or less lucrative settlement, But my guess is it ends up being signed off.
Speaker 1: What caught my eye is that attorneys for the pension fund are looking for two hundred and thirty million dollars in legal fees, which adds up to more than ten thousand dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Yes, seriously, that's another job that we missed out.
Speaker 3: Actually, so this is an often controversial but also a little bit complicated thing about how our plaintiff attorneys compensated. There definitely is a fairly large cottage industry of plant off attorneys who say, okay, let's go after this particular violation. We'll find a stockholder who can be our representative stockholder, and then we're going to move forward with a class action or a derivative action and try to get a settlement. But there's kind of a parallel to the venture capital industry where I think you know the famous adage that nine out of ten VC backed companies basically just go sideways or fail, right, you'll make any money off of them. You'll only make money off of the one in ten that succeeds. And there's something that's kind of similar about these lawsuits that when you take on any one of these lawsuits, you are effectively bearing risk to take it on the overwhelming majority at the time, you're not going to get that much out of it. If anything, if the case gets dismissed, you have spent however much you spent as a plane is firm, getting absolutely nothing. And so the theory in a lot of these cases that you know there will be some sort of percentage of the overall settlement that the plaintiffs attorneys are going to get that can't be exorbitant, but the judges generally do try to take account of the fact that there are significant costs in bringing these cases and there are a lot of risks associated with them. And so you know, if you just look x post and in hindsight that this one settlement, it's like, oh, what attorney makes ten thousand dollars an hour. Well, the fact of the matter is if there were nine other cases that had just as much effort going into them and they all ended up with nothing, then that looks more like one thousand dollars an hour. Right, that the fence side attorney might easily be billing regardless of whether the case wins or loses, and therefore doesn't even actually have any risk there. So when you sort of look at the numbers in isolation there, they're eye popping. They're definitely eye popping when you back it out and sort of say, well, you know, on some level, while we're on the topic of lottery tickets, taking these cases from the plaintiffs side is a little bit of a lottery ticket as well. That may give a little bit more explanation to it. Do the courts and the parties always get it right, It's not clear, right. The fact of the matter is that you know the attorneys that they are not doing this because they are essentially the newest incarnation of Mother Teresa running around, right. They are trying to make a living too. You know, Plaintiff attorneys are people too, and they've got to make a living, and so they're going to try to claim as much as they think they can they can feasibly claim from the transaction. One of the things that's a little bit dangerous about these stockholder litigation cases is that you got the defendants that would like to settle, You got the plaintiff's attorney that would like to settle. You got one plaintiff that's kind of phenomenally being represented by the plaintiff, maybe backed by an entire class of plaintiffs, but they're usually usually silent in the background. So are the defense attorneys and Planet's attorneys basically sort of ushering through a settlement that doesn't give a lot of value to the real harmed parties in the case. That's a big danger and we see how fairly significant attorney compensation amount that better be matched by, you know, a significant benefit that is given to the company and to the stockholders here that there is an agreement that you know, some of this conversation is going to be given back. I guess there's another question that sits in the background, though, is that is that actually going to be paid by an insurance company or you know, are there some hidden indemnification rights? And I think in some cases that's been ruled out, but I'm not sure it's been completely ruled out across all corners here, so we'll have.
Speaker 1: To keep our eye on the Delaware Chancery Court next month. Thanks so much, Eric. That's Professor Eric Tally of Columbia Law School, and that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law podcast. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot bloomberg dot com podcast slash Law, And remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg