Speaker 1: Sabrina, you are alone today.
Speaker 2: Will is out and about for the Podmets World tour. Are you nervous? I am not nervous, but I feel a little lonely actually without my co host, mister Will. But I am so excited for our new guests. They are from one of the most recent shows that we've been able to watch and it has now become up in my favorites and it is Zombies three and we are going to be welcoming Terry Hugh. Hey, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good. Sorry, I'm just I'm on my phone in a dressing room like this is a robe behind me, so I am sorry that this is not more presentable.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely okay. I am so so excited to have this amazing interview. It's been such a huge month for Zombies and we know you are so so busy. You're telling me right now you are actually in a dressing room, which means you are on set somewhere, And just thank you so much for stopping by, and we really appreciate having you here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm so I'm happy that you guys got connected to us.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so exciting. All right, Well, we wanted to start right away with your Hollywood origins. We know that you've traveled quite a bit, when you know, being born in Manhattan, heading to China for a couple of years, then returning to the US. And how at that point, you know, as you're starting to become your own identity as far as what you're wanting in life and what you're you know, wanting to do with the career or what at least what your interests are, how did you approach the idea of being an actor to your parents? How did that start?
Speaker 1: Oh, my gosh, you know, I think when I say that I approached them, I think it was really more that my mom, Chinese immigrant, wanted us to do as many extracurriculars as possible, so she approached my brothers because I have three older brothers, like kind of the idea of let's do this. Like I think there was a level of, oh, you know you're going to be this will like help them come out of their shells more or whatever, but also just kind of like this would be good for the extracurriculars when it comes to college. And then being the youngest sibling I was, I was like, obviously I am joining as well. You are not leaving me out of this. And so that's how I kind of got introduced to acting. And then after that, I think I kind of just took a knack. I think my brothers kind of like liked it, but I don't think they really cared for it that much. And I think I just really liked it. So then my mom was very you know, like as supportive as she could be, while also making sure that I knew that it was really a hobby as opposed to like a job. And my dad was maybe a little less importive, but I understand his point of view as well. And uh but yeah, so that's kind of how I. I guess I didn't officially approach him with the idea until after college, after I got into grad schools, like that was gonna be my path And that's what.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, because you are majored in neuroscience from UCLA, Like.
Speaker 1: This isn't just I didn't even mean to but yeah.
Speaker 2: Like this isn't even some like random school. It is the school. Especially. I grew up in southern California, so it's like you see la, right, But my dad, I'm not not one person in my family has gone to UCLA. He has season tickets to the football seasons. Like, right, it's a huge deal. And so it's not only just I mean, obviously you had big dreams and big aspirations, your parents had it. But it's like, how do you find that pull and that push and you've got you've got two sides of your brain work in here, how did you end up landing on going to the other side, which is acting? Creative? All of that the arts. I think that.
Speaker 1: You know, I think I had to apply to grad schools and all that in order for me to feel brave enough I suppose to like try to pursue acting, because you know, I was introduced to acting as a kid, like I said, and then and then when I got to college, I kind of was just like, oh, I'm a minor in theater, So I minor in theater.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I'm not going to actually like pursue this because my parents would never let me. So the dream was to become a physical therapist, open up my own clinic, and then do community theater on the side, which there's nothing wrong with that, Like that was truly folding my plan. I was like, that's going to be a nice life, like that will be a nice.
Speaker 2: Life, sticking with what you said your mom kind of had with you at the beginning, like this is a hobby, this isn't a career, got it exactly, And so I was like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then it was actually like junior year that I kind of was like, oh maybe and maybe I was just try like let me just do some.
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows.
Speaker 1: So I started cold emailing a bunch of agencies. They did not receive it well. I mean, cold emailing is so tough, Like I remember this one agency was like, unless you're ready to drop, Like I had a final and they were like, come meet me during that final and I was like, I have to take the final. Can I meet you like tomorrow? And they were like, if you're not ready to drop everything for acting, you're never gonna make it. And I was like, I remember exactly where I was when I got that email, and I felt so bad.
Speaker 2: But anyway, yeah, and it's such a cutthroa industry and right down the start, you saw it. You saw it right there and oh right down and there, wow.
Speaker 1: Right and so so then but then I graduated and I applied to schools and I think there was a big part of me that was like I just need to almost like appease my parents a little bit. And so I got to school or I got into schools, and I think it helped me to know, like I have this option because what I ended up doing was I deferred for a year. Oh yeah, which is like you know, you still have your acceptance and so I'm and I was like I'm good, Like if nothing else, I created like a backup option for me, yeah, like school. So I think that was really helpful. I don't know if I would have been brave enough to do it if I didn't have that.
Speaker 2: To be honest, wow, okay, is this is this where the ABC Talent Search enters? Is that different?
Speaker 1: Timing worked out well?
Speaker 2: And then you won?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? You want? I mean, unreal, what what did you do for your talent? I needed? Like, what did what did you do for this? The show?
Speaker 1: The To be honest, I mean it was It's Look, it is just as crazy to me as to anyone that I won, because it's just like what, like I don't know, it's just one of those things that you're like you hear that someone else wins, but you're usually not that someone else.
Speaker 2: It's not crazy to me that you won. It's the fact that you're you know, you enter things like that, and how many people entered, and you know, you're like so many people go I just it would be so great to get to top ten, top five, like holy crap, Yeah, I'm gonna win this thing, and then that's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean it is crazy. How No, So the process was, I literally sent my headshot in and then they invite you to audition based on like so your first round is just like kind of your headshot and resume. I suppose I didn't really have anything on my resume, but uh, and then they just send you a few scenes and then you choose and you literally it's just like a self tape. Like it's literally just like.
Speaker 2: It's not even it's not in person. You sell tape.
Speaker 1: No, I self tape because this one was their digital talent competition. But they do a lot of these, like they do the showcase, which I've done before too, or I didn't do the showcase by I auditioned for it in the past. But yeah, so then they did that. It was like a comedy scene or maybe a drama scene. And then the second one I think was a comedy scene okay, and then they literally just it was like two self tapes.
Speaker 2: Okay. But here's the thing. How did you sell tape? Did you did you go and rent spas? And like good question, you know, like what like what all those industry people, those actors know or were you in your dorm room or your our apartment.
Speaker 1: I fully found a place rented it, Okay, Like I remember, it's so clearly like going into so you.
Speaker 2: Look like a professional. You look like a professional. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I guess I did.
Speaker 2: I would have not known to do that. I would have been I would have been trying to draw drape somewhere.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no. I mean honestly, I think it probably would have looked good anyway if you did that. But like I think I just was like because at the time I didn't have any actor friends, so I kind of was like I need someone that, like I don't know, knows the industry. And it was like a photographer who had done my headshots also had a like taping studio.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and then what was the time frame after you win this? Did things start shifting quickly. I mean, did zombies come very.
Speaker 1: So I want that?
Speaker 2: Or no, actually I wouldn't say so.
Speaker 1: So I won the Digital Talent Competition in twenty eighteen, okay, and then at the time I was working at this like tech startup. So that's that was how I was like supporting myself. Oh yeah, so that's like a whole separate side of my life.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I mean that I love, like, I like literally love startups. I'm obsessed with like tech startups, which is like such a weird, random thing. But uh, and then my I was at I was commercially signed at the time. But I think after the Digital Talent Competition, it did you know understand I think, yeah, Like I think they were like, okay, like let's like sign you theatrically, which I feel like, you know, it's always hard to get theatrically wrapped, and so they were like okay. And then to be honest, I thought my life was going to change. I think you always think your life is going to change, and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Like it did change, and also it didn't change, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, it was great, Like I mean, I had my first Netflix audition I think January of twenty nineteen. I remember exactly what it was for, like I remember the exact experience of auditioning and uh but yeah, I mean kept auditioning, kept auditioning, and then it wasn't untol covid.
Speaker 2: Was when your audition for zombies Zombies and that did it just come through as another audition that your age was up and on Thursday they want you there at ten thirty. Oh what, Oh that's okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: Like my entire career has been self tapes.
Speaker 2: Wow, know how lucky you are. I just need you to know the hardest thing. And it's crazy. You'll talk to the most successful actors out there and they'll tell you they get nervous, like even.
Speaker 1: I need beta blockers or something like I'm shaking, and the audience like it's some people love it though some people.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we're all we've all got a little bit of illness and the idea that we let we drive off of that adrenaline and that nervousness that we're conquering when we go and do that and do something that you know, it's kind of scary to us. So that was it was a tape? How long? Because I'm wondering now, I really don't I didn't audition at all during COVID, So what was the process. Was it a really long drawn out process once you started, once you submitted your tape, and or was it? Did it?
Speaker 1: Had? I wish I had back dates, to be honest, I feel like maybe in total it was like three weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh that's quick, that's I mean, I could be could yeah, I mean, but with COVID, I feel like there's so many things in the world that were taking forever, so I didn't. I didn't know if that's also how the industry was at that point.
Speaker 1: I think that, you know, I was grateful to be auditioning. I'm trying to think of the timeline. Yeah, I feel like maybe like three weeks, because after I booked it, I literally left for Toronto a week later, and so I think that and like we had we had, you know, the initial I think I had a call back and then I did a chemistry read.
Speaker 2: Oh with my lawn magh. So that was your first meet with Milo and May Okay, I gotta I guess I'd be real quick to ask had you by then, like when you were preparing for your role that you were auditioning. Did you go back and watch Zombies one and two? Did you have any idea of who they were? Did you watch it?
Speaker 1: And at first I didn't. I think they used a fake name for the project. Oh it was called like out.
Speaker 2: Of this World.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, I don't really called it zombies, So to be honest, I didn't know. And then it wasn't until maybe the callback or something that I knew. But yeah, my best friend and I my best friend was like living on my couch in my studio during the pandemic. We watched it. We were like, I remember we were watching it. We were like this is like this is mature.
Speaker 2: It's and really good and really good and really good.
Speaker 1: Really mature, like themes and conversations and yeah, and then the music was really good, like I love the music from like Zombies Wians and of course Zombies three, but the.
Speaker 2: Zombies one just had something super special.
Speaker 1: Yes, like my yar the song my year and I mean I love.
Speaker 2: It, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So kind of knew who they were of course through that, and it was nerve acing for sure. I had to sing like a little did they dance at all. So they then I did a I did a separate dance audition. Oh my gosh, I don't know, and it was in my studio and it's on zoom and literally like Draco the choreographer, I think literally just put on like she was like, let me just put a song and just groove to it. Terrifying, terrifying words, most terrifying words I've ever heard. I was like, I I truly blacked out. I was like, you just have to do it, like you just have to because I like dancing. But it's not like I'm not like everyone watched me dance, like I kind of like to do it just for me. I guess it's have you have you trained? Like are you well for for zombies? I did, I guess, like you know, in the rehearsal. And since then I've done like dance class and stuff.
Speaker 2: But okay, but not that wasn't part of your like no long with acting and.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I would not say so at all. And actually I think I had a lot of hang ups about dancing, Like I think it was very it's very vulnerable, and I think it's very like you know.
Speaker 2: That is wild to me because you can do. There's like nothing that it's not a question.
Speaker 1: You can a wild I mean, I I do appreciate that. I mean we also had such a good team, like they really catered it to everyone. And yes, but the song they put on was just like Miley Cyrus, who I loved her music, but it was like the Smiley Cyrus like eight A M remix that to be honest, I couldn't even figure out the beat like I kind of did, but like you medium songs, You're almost like where's the beat going? Yeah, and I'm literally just like grooving, and I think they just wanted to see like they pretty much were just like are you can you move? Like are you like, can you recognize a beat? Yes? Okay, think they purposely made the beat a little hard and then and then that was that.
Speaker 2: Okay. So then you cast I mean you had really kind of just done a few short films things like that, you book Zombie three and this is like a massive Disney production. I mean you're talking forty million dollars to make and it's your first like major job. That's that's unreal And yeah, I mean I can't and that is such a big, big thing to happen during COVID when really no one was working, everything was shut down. What an amazing opportunity. But do you remember how you found out you booked it? Like what were you doing? Who were you with?
Speaker 1: What were we all doing on the freaking in the pandemics? Who were I was sitting on my couch, sitting you're killing on my couch and it.
Speaker 2: Told you to pack your backs because you're leaving next week. Pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I like call my best friends and stuff like that, and I think we kind of all had like a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of an inkling, do you know what I mean? But you know, you don't know until you know.
Speaker 1: And uh, I think the person that I was dating at the time was wish you with me? Maybe either way? I I yeah, it was. It was a phone call from my team, okay, and it was just like yeah, I mean it was crazy, Like I remember think when I got to Toronto, I remember laying on the bed and I was like there have been so many times that you know, we as we all do as actors, like we've gotten so close and you literally start envisioning your life like I'm going to be in Budapest next week, like I'm going to be flying to like you know, London or even Vancouver or whatever, like and then when you don't, if you don't get it, you're like you you almost feel the loss of something that you never was even yours, but you feel that like heartbreak. And I remember just being there and I was like, this is so crazy, Like now I'm actually in Toronto. I was just flown to Toronto and like so weird, you.
Speaker 2: Know, living in an amazing hotel. Yeah, and it was an amazing cast. Know one I'm about to be a part of a ginormous franchise on the Disney Channel. Like yeah, like my dreams are actually happening right now. This is for real.
Speaker 1: It was crazy and it was nothing I ever like. I remember being being a kid and you know, on radio, like Disney Radio would be like do you want to be like on Disney Channel like auditions here or whatever, and I'd be like like you You'd be like you need to go to piano lessons, like you know, and so it's it's crazy. I mean, yeah, I'm incredibly incredibly grateful for zombies.
Speaker 2: I love it, and and and and then moving into the next really big topic of it, you know, not only are you proving to your parents that you are making a living now out of this right, which is incredible, but you have the opportunity that of becoming Disney's first live action queer non binary actor. I was a part of the channel. I know everything, all the steps, all the things they went to push the boundaries they want to open kids eyes to. And you are literally the very person, first person that gets to do this. How we love a moment And was it a surprise to you? I mean, was as surprised that Disney was really willing to take the step.
Speaker 1: And of course, I think, I think because of the way that they you know, I think that you know, the world has changed a lot and it is still ever changing and stuff like that. But I think because of the way the team that I got to work with, including the casting directors and all that stuff, like they were the way that they were. It almost made it seem like they were just like, yeah, like, wait, Terry's not binary, Let's make the character non binary, because I don't actually think the character was written.
Speaker 2: As I was gonna ask you, was there any indication on the scripts or anything that you saw prior when you were auditioning like was that part of the honest or was it something that happened just organically because they they saw you as the person that you are.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, I do think that they were auditioning like both like cis gender cis male and SIST female people, and so I think maybe they were like open gender. I'm trying to think like the breakdown. I think it was maybe like open ethnicity, open.
Speaker 2: Gender, okay or something like that.
Speaker 1: And I thought it was just the way that they were so, I mean, they were so supportive. Obviously I understand and have heard how huge this it was, and I'm just really so grateful that the way that they made me, that they treated me personally like it was very it was very normalized yet supported. Like it wasn't like they were dismissive like yeah yeah, like they had like we had a non binary inclusion consultant, which I was like what, I didn't even know that that was a thing, Like wow, yeah. I think like everyone really wanted to do right, you know.
Speaker 2: And they wanted. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought that. I was super grateful, and I also just like, you know, for me, it's like I'm just happy to be there as an actor, like I'm not like I am the first, Like I didn't get into this to be the you know, yes, the first non binary. I'm just like, I'm happy to be here. And also I'm so grateful that people are trying their best, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's I know, I'm being incredible. I mean, I think it. It just shows Disney really does care, you know. And one of the things that I love we keep, you know, having all these amazing interviews with people that have worked for the Channel, And my favorite thing about it is knowing that my experience with the Channel, which was amazing and supported and you know, they really cared about so much, and I love binding out that they were like that with everyone. It wasn't like, you know, because you can have a good experience and then the next person can have a terrible sure, right, and you know.
Speaker 1: The industry is so large and there's so many suits. I'm not, of course, we I'm sure, like you know, there's the space for whatever people's experiences have been, but like I do, I know my experience only, and I'm sure for you too, And I'm so grateful. Yes, whether it's Disney or any other project, I just I don't take it for granted, I think.
Speaker 2: You know, when it comes to the rehearsal time, that was always my favorite with my stuff on. Yeah, the rehearsals and the bonding and the you know, the water breaks, the snacks that of getting to know your cast and do you have any fun memories from that that that just always stand out to you when you think about rehearsal time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rehearsal was. We had dance rehearsal for like for like a bit, so that was just like so fun. And we worked with the dancers in Toronto who are so incredibly talented, like, oh, you know, I think as scary and vulnerable as the dancing was for me, I think I liked having an excuse to dance, like I think, I thought it was really cool. And also Draco and Taya like the choreographers, they were amazing and Alisha too was Toronto based. They were so incredible wow, and so like so talented but really like just gracious I think, and very approachable and so I think that you know, made it really like easy and then also like you're going into an existing franchise, so it can be intimidating. They're like, you know, such good leaders of that whole group. Honestly, they were there were so sweet and like, you know, like just even thinking about them in the chemistry read the way that they were then is the way that they had always been like very just like sweet and welcoming and really I don't know, I think like the dancing automatically kind of bonded us also because you know.
Speaker 2: There's something about music and the word groove. Yeah, there's something about the rehearsal, the vibe everyone's working hard, you know what I mean, every there's parts where everyone struggles a bit, you know, and all that kind of stuff. There's something about it, like a dance rehearsal that really bonds you in such a great way that when you go on to do the film, you already have this really organic chemistry that's already just kind of rude. But what about was that was the rehearsals. Then, the first time you met Kira and Matt in person, I think it was okay because we had we had two weeks of quarantine when we got to the hotel.
Speaker 1: And so we weren't like in your room, and so we were all like on zoom playing games together like stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So we had met over zoom a bunch. Okay, all right, because it would I would assume on set those two are the ones you spent the most time with, right, Your most scenes are at least the you know, three of you and then other people were coming in, but you guys are the majority of your filming together. Yea, So how was that? Like, was it right off the bat that chemistry happening or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it was so sweet and like, I think it was such a nice trio. And you know, I also think it was very much an ensemble cast, Like as much as we were together, honestly, I think we actually all spent a lot of I think because of the dance Dancess, like, we honestly all spent a lot of time together. Like obviously the aliens had some of their own parts and stuff like that, so we did spend that time. But overall, it honestly felt like a big cohesive unit, like everyone kind of was hanging with everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I can't imagine how many of like those director chairs were out for you guys to sit, and there's like twenty of them. There's, like you're saying, for real, an ensemble cast. There's so many when you got the the werewolves, the zombies, the cheerleaders, and now the aliens.
Speaker 1: It's crazy exactly.
Speaker 2: So how did you feel? I mean, I loved it. I don't know. Were you a big were you a fan of Disney before? Like Xenon is one of the most epic D coms ever made, and I was. I was loving those vibes that we were sort of getting in the once you guys entered, you know, entered the chat here zombie zombie chat. Did you guys like your uniforms? What was what was the conversations about the blue hair? Was there an option to dyet?
Speaker 1: Or was it? Oh? My hair?
Speaker 2: Okay, I was gonna say if that was not your hair. That wig was one of the most expensive wigs I've ever seen because it looked so good. Your hair looks so good, Okay, so wow, you dyed it.
Speaker 1: I actually cut my hair for the role and I dyed it. Wow. I was the only one that died it, which you know, was really amazing and also had its own struggles because I have really dark hair obviously, so like the way that it stays and you know, stuff like that. But when it was good, it was good. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: Did you keep it? How long did you keep it after filming where you were like I'm dig in this, kept it for a while? Yeah, And did you just let it grow out or did you I mean you probably.
Speaker 1: Transformed it eventually.
Speaker 2: That's another podcast that's a hair podcast just.
Speaker 1: About hair, just about hair. Yeah. But yeah, I mean the costumes, like you know, they I love the whole that whole team, the hair team and everyone, like, oh god, they really worked hard, especially being like non binary. I think they were very like you know, or how do you feel about this? Like do you want to bind? Do you want to do this? Like whatever? And something I think that speaks to it is you know, I had a doll made after Aspen and they literally consulted me on like the dolls like body and just being like what, like what do we want for it? Because all is non binary, Like you know, if it were more like CIS genders female doll, maybe we would generally make it more curvy or whatever it is, like what do you want? Like? But all of that those things were like taken into consideration. Wow, I know, I know I feel grateful or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: You know, that is amazing. I love that. I mean that sounds it just sounds like you were really just everyone was just being very adamant of doing it correctly and making sure that you were the one that was spearheading it because this was who you are, you know, and they wanted to do it right. And I love that. So Paul Howan, we got to talk about Oh my buddy Paul. Yeah, so I've gotten to work with him as well. He worked on Cheatah Girls three, but we and so he's been on the podcast, we've interviewed him, but not just that, I mean, he's done. I'd say it feels like at least been d percent of dcom's out there. We have like reined him into his kingdom. This is, of course, this is you know, Paul Lane.
Speaker 1: His dcom kingdom.
Speaker 2: Because absolutely, and I know how supportive he is about his actors. So I'd love for you to kind of talk about your experience with working with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is. That's what I remember too, like and I mean it's been so long now, but I felt like he was very approachable. Like I was obviously really nervous because it was like my first feature, and like, you know, but I remember I think like even just during the rehearsals and stuff like him being very open to us asking questions and just like checking in. And you know, I think something I actually remember is more after the film came out. I like him checking in on me. And I think at the time, honestly, I was like, oh, I don't like have a plate because I had moved out in my apartment, and so I think I was like, oh, like I he was like, oh, I think I know someone who's subletting a place, like if you need, like just the kind of it felt like a friend looking out just all. I do feel like he was so approachable, and I think maybe that was the biggest thing for me. It's like whether a director is approachable, you know, because they can be so like, oh, oh, you know, and and he's so like I like it because he's so I don't think soft spokes spoken is the right word, but I think he's like so gentle at least that was that was my experience with him, and like and yeah, supportive of everyone like trying their own thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah I love that. Yeah, yeah, awesome. Okay, So we got to get back a little bit more with the movie. So I loved this movie. I loved the specific choreography that you guys had in your alien characters, and I mean, I felt like it was such a great addition to what we've already seen zombies as zombies. But as much as I want to hear all the amazing things, I wanted to know, like, what did you find was most difficult during your time of filming? Everyone goes through sort of a little bit of challenges with each rule, right, that's just inevitable. Whether it's I couldn't ever find anything that I liked to eat, I was starving the entire time. Like, whether it's that or you know, things that were with your character or what was probably the most difficult thing while filming Zombies? I think for.
Speaker 1: Me probably like as a human and actor, staying grounded in like my own actual life, like because I do think that it was. It was my first experience of you know, I never went to camp as a kid or anything, and also I had never done a future and also it was an on location feature, Like I think, staying rounded in like my real life, if you will, and just almost feeling like you know, it's like the you just kind of feel like set life, like this is my entire world. Everything that happens here is going to last forever, and it is going to be my entire world, and my life is this set which it was, and at the end, you're gonna come have a calm down and you're going to go back to your life wherever it is and have to look for apartments and be like whoa. And I think like keeping that like it that whole experience on obviously, you taught me a lot about the sort of mental health I suppose, and mental sort of like boundaries in a way that you that I benefit from, like practicing I suppose, and kind of like just like knowing, like just staying grounded honestly. Yeah, And like I think that that's really important as we go through our careers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. And I think that's not something that the outside world really quite expects, you know, somebody it's good for It's good for somebody who is an upcoming actor that they understand that aspect because it is a lot of ups and there. Sure if you aren't you know, taking care of yourself mentally in a positive way, that can overcome you, you know, and it can make your certain things a lot more difficult. And that's awesome. I mean, you know, and it and the crazy part is it all comes with experience.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You really it's hard to really prepare yourself until you get to that point. Yeah, so you know, that's that's something that is tough when people ask me. You know, I'm sure now that you've you've you've had your own journey, people ask me all the time, Oh, my kid really wants to be an actor? How do I you know, what do I do? And I'm kind of like, first, you need to make sure your kid is the kid that can handle what the industry brings. Otherwise it shouldn't be a career. It should be I mean, I'm getting on your mom's side here, it should be a hobby because it's it's a tough career and you got to have the thick skin because it's not for everyone.
Speaker 1: I completely and I respect that takes so much. And honestly, I feel like ever since my interviews, the first interviews I've done, like you know, when Zombie started, like I've always felt kind of a guess quite maybe a Dobbie downer or like a like a at the risk of sounding like boring, I'm just like, but yeah, my thoughts are exactly the same. Like I think it's easy to be like chase your dreams, chase your dreams, and yeah, like chase your dreams, but like have some weirdwithal about it because it.
Speaker 2: Is incredibly tough.
Speaker 1: And I think the mental aspect is so important because I don't I do think the career is about like staying in it. Staying in it, like you are never going to book if you never audition, and you're never gonna audition if you don't stay in it, like you know. And so it's like, but you can't stay in it if your mental health is horrific, like you know. And and so I totally agree with you on that, and I'm glad, I'm honestly glad to hear you say that because.
Speaker 2: Because I mean, it's I think it's very true, and it comes with every career, whether you're wanting to betly or you're wanting to be a lawyer. It's like, oh, I want to be a lawyer, And it's like, do you know how much schooling that is? So many years of tests and you know you have to be able to prevay yourself fully. Not every dream is important, but there should be people you should look into it, make sure that this is the right path for you. You not just think it's gonna be all nothing nothing is you know, and.
Speaker 1: Set yourself up. Yes, exactly, think that there's no shame and honestly like this is such I don't know, boring talk, I guess, but like and having like transferable skills, like I don't think like it's so lame, but I really like like something that you can get a job and pay your bills, like seriously, like take care. I feel so passionately about it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely all right back to the movie. I okay, we've got so when as you I'm still thinking about just kind of how everything is evolving, right we haven't even gotten to the fact that it blew up and was an incredible movie for the franchise and everything. But were you excited as as things were developing on set everything was working. Was that romantic storyline that you had with Willa? Was that something from the beginning or is that something do you think that ended up? Kind of because it comes at the end and you know, or towards the end, then we get to see that you guys are really you know, having your romantic storyline play out. Were you excited about that or was that something that happened right away?
Speaker 1: No, really excited. I actually don't remember now what a scot was written into the script. I think that it might have came later, and I think we were also like you know, wanting to make sure Chandler's on board and stuff like that. Sure, I was very, very excited. I think it was really cool because it was very subtle. Yeah, some people could have missed it, and I think that's okay, But I think it was like really subtle, and I liked that it wasn't made into such a thing like you know, So I was very happy with it. And Chandler was such a obviously like so supportive and stuff too.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's awesome. Shocked doesn't even describe my feelings on the fact that you are not in zombiesfore. And I was thinking that that actual, like you said, it was very subtle, was also just a play into what we had to look forward to for Zombies four. So I need to know who I need to write my letter to about Zombies five, because if I don't see what happens with the two of you, I might lose it.
Speaker 1: And then when you find out I will.
Speaker 2: I will let you know, and I will write that strongly word letters and that I will talk to you. I know, I'm probably gonna see my friend Paul, and I am going to have to have the conversation. I will, I will, I'll get your number. I'll get your number. But that's exciting that you guys had to and then you know again the the movie comes out. Everything's great so much that you end up becoming part of the animated series. I mean, and you were able to bring this character to life as a cartoon. Yeah, that's the dream job for me. Voiceover work is I had a little bit of it. So fun. Yeah, how did you love that? Did you love it? Wasn't tough? I mean, a whole new barrier, I mean, why was that?
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved it. It actually introduced me in a more serious way to voiceover work, like I do more voiceover auditions now. I loved it. The team was incredible and so funny, like actually the scripts are like laugh out loud funny, like truly, and just being in the room like them pitching on the spot like they're so funny and uh no, I'm super super happy to have been part of that, and like I wouldn't say that was so incredibly hard just because it was the same character, like I'm reprising my role as Aspen, But you know, there were definitely I learned a lot about just like the ways to hit the vocal ranges and vocal feelings and tones, like to really emphasize things more, you know, because you don't have your face show reactions. But they did such a good job like the animation animators and stuff. So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That is so awesome. I wish that Will, my co host, was here, because if you are going to be in voice acting, you have got to know his name because he is like truly a god in that day. He has done so many things and I mean I and he can and he does it while we're doing our interviews, and it just is it's so incredible to watch his range and he can do so many accents and I mean to where it makes me timid to go, Okay, maybe I can't do that, because you love that. I know. Yes, we'll have to come back on maybe when we when we get a chance to do something else, we'll bring you back.
Speaker 1: On and and we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and we'll talk about how you how you transition exact to absolutely Okay, Now we're going to get to some some hot more hot topic questions here we go. So we've heard that we've interviewed a few of your Zombie cast members. We've got Meg, Trevor, Kylie, and we've been told by pretty much all of them that they there's these groups that happen once everyone starts meeting, and that you guys have kind of like these texting group chats that go I gotta know, and I as soon as I got off the interview, I think it was with either Meg or Kylie that I was like talking to Will and going, I wonder who is the best texter? Like who keeps those texts going as as the time goes on? That's the one that kind of keeps everyone just in the chat, you know, active a bit and stuff. Who would you think that would be?
Speaker 1: So, you know, that's such a good question.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think that Meg does really well with being intentional and being like, hey, guys, like let's all I catch up like that that sort of thing, which I really appreciate.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think that James, who plays Bonzo, Okay, is very like we'll just say like these one liners. Sometimes that's just like so random and like I feel like it's like that.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious to think of him because all we know him as is Bonzo. We have got him on an interview and it's like this guy we're in movie three can't still can't freaking talk. He can't. He hasn't nicked up anything, you guys, he's been around at all.
Speaker 1: He's so committed to hisself, you know, and we respect that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess you just have to be respectful of it. But it's like, comm Bonzo, you gotta give me something exactly. I feel like a Meg Meg. Yeah, she seems like a very good mama bear of the group. Yes, she's like just seems like you just if you need a hug, you go to Meg. That's what it seems like. I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, they both like her and Milo started in these essential like leadership positions at a very young age. Like you know, yes, I think they hold it well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think she considered herself a grandma at this point, and she filmed Zombies four. She felt like she was a grandma at that point. She's like, I started off as a young actor and now I feel like I'm a grandma to all these new actors coming in. So I love that. Though. All Right, if you had to pick a species to join, and it can't be it can't be an alien, it's gotta be zombies, were wolves or even and we haven't seen them yet, but the new vampires, who would you pick?
Speaker 1: Okay, I haven't seen the new vampires, but I'm feeling like it would be were wolves for me. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I think they're the best one.
Speaker 1: I have, like the coolest like dances, coolest song.
Speaker 2: I did love the Aliens version, I really did, but thank you. I yes, there's something about that style that the choreographer decided was for the were Wolves that is just on freaking point.
Speaker 1: There's like some dance moves like in their song come on Out, and there's some dances on like it's like ingrained into my mind. I'm like, the Aliens did not get to do that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, but the Aliens had that. That that's true. Okay, that's the Aliens one, and that is signature. I've been thinking about it since I watched the movie this weekend. It's good. It's a it's a good, good one. It's a good one. It's a real sticks it's perfect. Yeah, but I do agree that the werewolves, like their entire style. There's just something that has a real good spark to it. I love that's what it is. It is a swag. Thank you. Okay, I couldn't put my finger on you. All right, we do want to talk about something else you've been in. This will be the justin I got a couple more and that's it. You also premiered in Never Have I Ever? Huge hit for Netflix. Right, You've got incredible creator, we've got Mandy Kaling, You've got it's another young adult obsession. Yeah, I've got to ask you which fan base is more rabbit? Do we got zombies or Never Have I ever? Like, really, when when you're out there, who are doing the crazy things? Who are more normal?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Good question? Is it hard? Is it almost?
Speaker 1: I think it's hard because never have it ever? I was like, my my actual screen time for it wasn't long, Like, wasn't that much.
Speaker 2: And but given you're recognized from it, though.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so even given how short my screen time was, the amount that I get recognized from it is actually really surprising to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because like with the Disney ones, it's like I'm not in areas, like I don't go to malls that much, and that's where like sometimes like there's kids with their parents and stuff, but.
Speaker 2: You don't live Disneyland. No, no, not all the time. I used to.
Speaker 1: But and uh so I don't know, like I almost feel like they're on par okay, because I'm almost like, how did like the fans that never have ever recognize me so much? But sometimes like the other day, I was walking in New York right now and someone walked by me and was just and just literally went oh and like I but then say anything, Oh my god. I was like you you could be the age where you honestly could be saying that from zombies or never ever. Ever, I'm not sure. Like when it's a kid, it's usually like, you know, zombies, but you.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of adult Disney channels. So true. Wow, Okay, so they're basically equal because it's there, they're both.
Speaker 1: I will say, they're both really intense, really passionate.
Speaker 2: I love it and that's amazing. All right, last question, dream roll anything in Hollywood like an on stage, off stage voiceover work now that you've got your your feet wet in that, what are you picking? My go Hollywood stage voiceover, What do you think you're going for?
Speaker 1: I mean the project I'm currently working on right now I really love. But that's really tough.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know that.
Speaker 1: It's just my one singular dream role. But I think that I've always wanted to do something super epic, like like I think I grew up watching going to movies and coming out depressed because I would be like, I wish I were just like on that screen, Like I want something so epic, like something like Interstellar, like that makes you be like, like you know, like Interstellar or like honestly, not Mission Impossible, although that would be amazing too, but something that feels so epic like Dune, Okay, like something that has beautiful effects where you can only see and feel that from on screen, like.
Speaker 2: And that's physical. Do you like the physical aspect of it too? Yeah? Yeah, and kind of just like the.
Speaker 1: Larger than life, because I feel like you're achieving this sort of romanticization of the world in your life. Like you know, I have a dreams for like indie rolls too and stuff like that. But I'm more like the things that are like fantastical, like it's so amazing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, I have no doubt you're gonna get there. I really, I mean, it was just amazing. I really loved watching the movie. And I'm just so excited for what's to come for you. And I think you've got such such incredible work ahead and you know you are just keep going. I'm just so excited for you. And congratulations on such an amazing I mean, hitting zombies and now you're moving on to big things. Can't wait to know if we can know anything about the project you're working on now, Oh, I can tell you right now. Let me know what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's an off Broadway play, the next one from Donnia Tamoor, who won a Tony for The Outsiders musical and was just nominated for John Proctor is a Villain, which Sadie Sink is leading. And so this is Donnia's next project. And it's called Trophy Boys and it is four female and non binary actors playing private school debate boys team Debaters. And I'll kind of leave it at that. It's like a chairical dart comedy.
Speaker 2: So you're back in New York are you. Wow, well amazing. I hope to be able to see it whenever I'm.
Speaker 1: Out there and let me know if you're New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will, I will. Well, thank you so much for taking the time. He was so busy and again loved it was so great and we've got to have you on again and have you have you back for some more intake. Now maybe we can hear your side of what you thought of the new zombies and and bringing in these vampires and what kind of gas they're going to bring to our beautiful zombie land that it's exact now that the aliens are there. All right, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It's thanks for making time until I say.
Speaker 2: Hi, oh I will. We'll get you guys a meet for sure.
Speaker 1: That's good. Okay, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was incredible. I mean for an actor that has been in this industry for not this is one of our first actors that really didn't start as a as a child actor, got into it after college, you know, and kind of pushed their way into being able to have the opportunities. Talking about cold call cold calls towards agencies, I mean, that is somebody who wants this bad and didn't stop, kept pushing, ended up finding their way on to the Disney Channel and not just some normal dcom. We're talking one of the most epic dcoms the channels has had. So I am just so excited that that interview just happened and we cannot wait to have them back on. Thank you guys so much for listening to Magical rewind. We are coming back at you guys, and we've got another movie coming, so you guys gotta stay tuned.
Speaker 1: U