Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour.
Speaker 2: Two on this Tuesday. Pittsburgh Steelers alive and well as they beat the Dolphins last night to improve to eight and six phone calls eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle a DP show. We'll talk to the Chargers head coach Jim Harball in a moment. Also, Mike Golick Senior will stop by, as well as the Browns Hall of Famer Joe Thomas. Eight seven to seven three DP Show Operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock or the NBC Sports networker listening on our radio affiliates over four hundred cities carrying this program. We were talking at the end of last hour about the rash of ACL injuries this year, led by Micah Parsons and Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes got hurt that was contact in the Chargers game, Micah Parson's non contact injury. And yesterday the NFL said that they announced they're going to have a study to look at turf and these are new rules, or at least a new policy, a new approach to this and people, I think we're surprised at the number of torn acls so far this year. Thirty so far. Now, that seems like a lot. And the reason why it seems like a lot is because there's some big names in here. In twenty twenty four there were thirty eight torn acls, twenty twenty three, forty three, twenty twenty two point fifty one, twenty twenty one, fifty seven, twenty twenty forty two. You can go back to twenty thirteen there were sixty three torn acls. So it seems like we're trending down. But why can't we come up with universal fields that can prevent at least the non contact injury. So we bring in the head coach of the Chargers, Jim Harbaugh. Those numbers alarming to you, surprising to you. Anything we can do to improve those number of acls, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean that discussions big going not for a long time with the UH, with the turf and they and they they're very scientific about it. Uh, you know my understanding almost like you know stint meters in UH in golf. But those numbers, to me, I mean it's it. Uh, it's like one a year. You know, that's that's kind of my my recollection from uh, you know, from coaching all these years and and UH and playing as well as about UH, one guy and the team will get.
Speaker 4: An a c L. And it was a day where that uh, that a c L would be career ending.
Speaker 3: You know, think back then, Yeah, you know Gail Sayers and uh and now uh you know it's uh advancements in UH in safety and medical UH you know, UH are are really incredible and getting getting better all the time.
Speaker 2: But when you were at Michigan, all of your linemen had to wear braces, knee braces, Yes, that was that was And how preventative is that? I know Jake Buds got hurt and Blake Korum you know got hurt as well. Those are contact But did it is it that helpful in preventing a c LS?
Speaker 3: I thought so, I really did, Dan Uh, the the running backs tight ends didn't didn't wear them. But we had the defensive linemen wearing uh knee braces in practice.
Speaker 4: UH and that.
Speaker 3: Would uh it doesn't prevent prevent like a but whatever injury it would have been, it makes it a lot less in in my experience, and UH and Uh, trainers in the medical experts.
Speaker 2: What was different about the Chiefs this year as opposed to previous years.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's there's it's just the most the most historic, incredible. Uh you know job that that team has done year in year out, Andy Reid, Uh.
Speaker 4: You know the best, he's the best. Uh. Patrick Homes incredible competitor.
Speaker 3: And uh that was I was talking to one of our our assistant coaches yesterday.
Speaker 4: And if we could just do half, we could just.
Speaker 3: Do half of what they they've been able to accomplish over the last seven years.
Speaker 4: You know, we I do it. I know I would do a cartwheel.
Speaker 2: But what what's the game plan of of Mahomes? He seems like he's running a lot more. He had been running a lot more than in previous years and had been their most dangerous runner. But as a defensive philosophy, what was it going into this game?
Speaker 4: There? They had adversity in the offensive line.
Speaker 3: Uh, different combinations, different different you know, really good players out. But uh, they guy stepped in and uh they were Chiefs are still operating at a at a very high level. And I was, I mean, I was for the competitor that Patrick is. I mean that was was just hoping praying that, uh that he would have dodged a bullet, and uh, you know, unfortunately he didn't.
Speaker 4: But uh, he's he's already you know, getting ready.
Speaker 3: For surgery and you just just know his mindset it's going to be it's gonna be surgery and then and then rehab.
Speaker 4: He's just he just he's he just he just wants to be.
Speaker 3: Doing and so that's uh really we're trying to replicate that here and in Los Angeles, and uh.
Speaker 2: What are you trying to force him out of the pocket because he loves to go right, but I you know, it's it's easier said than done that we don't want to let him go outside the pocket.
Speaker 3: Patrick Mahomes, Yeah, oh, uh you get you try to contain him, you really do that. Uh, the the discipline in the in the rush lanes you got to have. It's got to be coordinated with with all five or four or six or seven rushers, uh, you know, every single play. And he's still and he still finds ways to uh you know, to make the impossible possible. But uh, it's Tuesday, it's uh, it's our feeder moving.
Speaker 4: We're up.
Speaker 3: We're gonna keep them moving because uh, we got Dallas this year this week and uh, I really think they're the They're the best offense we've played in a while. Uh, really good receivers, really good quarterback, very good up front, and running game that we're gonna try to figure out how to stop as well.
Speaker 2: Talk down, Jim Harbaugh, Chargers head coach. You coach any differently in December than you do in September.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. You know, they all count the same, you know they count the same, but uh, yeah, it's different. It's almost it's like the fourth quarter in a in a game, you know, and then you know, you get down to the to the end and it's you know, then it's and it's like like the two minute drill, you know, in the in the in the playoffs or you know, trying to get into the playoffs.
Speaker 4: But everybody, everybody's fighting for their lives.
Speaker 3: Everybody's fighting, you know, really for their their playoff destiny. And and that's and the and the and the teams that aren't don't have a chance to be in the playoffs, they're fighting at the at the highest level, uh, you know, for pride and for for for their team and for their for their their organizations.
Speaker 4: It's it's the competitive season. Tis the season for competition.
Speaker 2: How much does it help playing the position as a head coach, helping Justin Herbert play the position.
Speaker 3: I've been asked that a bunch of times, and I don't have a great answer for that, because he is just so much better at everything, uh, every every part of the game.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you do better than or did better than Justin Herbert?
Speaker 3: There's nothing. There's nothing, nothing, And I don't want to demonstrate anything. I mean, it's just not gonna it's not gonna look right. Uh So I just uh, you know, really really focus on uh, you know, number one, protecting him.
Speaker 4: And but it's just.
Speaker 3: H yeah, a tremendous blessing to have him Derwin, James, Justin Herbert, Khalil Mack. Uh the absolute best leaders I've ever been and playmakers leaders and playmakers uh that uh, that I've ever been associated with.
Speaker 2: You said you were still processing the Sharon More situation. What are you processing?
Speaker 5: What are what?
Speaker 2: What is going through your head or trying to understand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's uh really still and still don't have my head wrapped around it.
Speaker 4: Dan Uh, it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah it Uh yeah, it's a tragedy and just praying for all concerned. I love my alma mater, love Michigan, and but I love the Chargers too. And uh, i'd been doing a disservice if I wasn't putting all my focus on the on this game.
Speaker 4: This is the most important game for us.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you talked to Sharon Moore? Uh?
Speaker 4: Have it early early December? Uh? But I I have texted.
Speaker 2: Him nothing, nothing since he was arrested, just text Oh you have Yeah. How are his spirits?
Speaker 4: Uh? I think I think there is. It's a tragedy.
Speaker 3: What Uh the worst days of his life and uh, you know, keep it together and and uh and take care of your family.
Speaker 4: That's you know, that's the message. And I and I and getting spiritual guidance. Uh, you know, he's really cool. Article.
Speaker 2: Are you helping Michigan at all find their head coach?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not. All focuses on the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Well, congrats on the win, and uh, good luck against Dallas and then you host Houston, then you're at Denver. Who's the best team you face? You talked about Dallas will be the best offense. Who's the best team?
Speaker 3: So we played definitely uh that we played in a while. You know, right, the team that you know stands out, uh, you know the ones that that.
Speaker 4: That got the best of us.
Speaker 3: But these last two games Chiefs Eagles, I mean football at uh, at at the highest level. You know, that's been and I think it's I think it's I think it's made us keener and sharper and finer too to go through those two games.
Speaker 4: And uh, and we expect the same challenge this week.
Speaker 2: Do you want to play in the snow?
Speaker 3: I prefer the snow then, Uh, then thirty five or thirty three in rain? So uh, as soon as as soon as the temperature goes below thirty, I know it's not going to rain, and uh, I prefer that.
Speaker 2: Uh. But you look at the doll like the Dolphins don't win games under forty degrees? Like what how does that im?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: There are guys that aren't from Miami, but you know they don't win in cold weather. Why is that?
Speaker 4: Uh? That's that's a that's something I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: I am kind of an expert at uh growing up in uh the Midwest and.
Speaker 4: In Michigan, Ohio, chicag playing in Chicago.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's really a function of like my dad used to tell us when we were kids. He'd say, you you you, yeah, get out of the house, Dan, it's cold out there. Get your feet moving and keep it moving. You'd walk out and then the click of the door would click behind you.
Speaker 2: Uh wait they locked the door.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you hear the click. Okay, we're our feet moving and keep it moving. But that's that's that's the secret. That's the answer.
Speaker 3: The the you become your body becomes like a human hot tub because your your your heart is pumping warm, hot blood, especially when you're young, and you know that goes from the the heart to the arteries, to the capitillaries, to the to the tissue and it's you know, the more muscle you got, that's the more uh, that's the more uh.
Speaker 4: Insulation that you have.
Speaker 3: High school anatomy tells me it goes back back to the lungs and reactioninates and it just keeps keeps falling like so you just you just keep moving and then when you're not playing, you go to the go to the sideline, get by that that heater in that warm bench.
Speaker 2: Who had it better than you did in cool weather?
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of experience there, nobody.
Speaker 2: Dan, There you go, there you go.
Speaker 4: I know the answer to that one.
Speaker 2: I was worried. I was worried about you there. Thanks for joining us. Good luck against Dallas. Appreciate it, coach, Thank you Dan. That's Jim Harbaugh, second year's Charger's head coach and a Coach of the Year back in twenty eleven with the forty nine Ers. Yeah, you grew up in the Midwest, like that's just normal that you're playing. You know, even when you're growing up and you're playing in the backyard, you're playing in snow, or you'd have your turkey bowl, everybody's home for the holidays, and you'd be playing cold weather. And it's weird when you go to a cold weather state. You know, when I go to Maine, I always say to my kids, don't say it's cold. You know it's cold, so don't say it. And so now they're conditioned. I don't want to hear it. If you're coming up this time of the year, it's going to be cold, you might say it's not as cold as I thought. You can be surprised when it's not cold. But I don't want to hear it's so cold. Why did you come up? All right, it's cold in Connecticut, Yeah, but it's really cold in main.
Speaker 5: Soft.
Speaker 2: I'm closed the door and lock the door and go out there. Get your feet, get those capillaries. Get he went through the whole body, didn't held the whole nervous system there. All right, we'll take a break. Joe Thomas will join us on loan from the Hall of Fame. We'll get to your phone calls as well, have a pull question for hour or two as well. Take a break back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey is Cadino and Rit from Fox Sports Radio Now.
Speaker 7: In addition to hearing us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. We're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the sh Yup. That's right, you can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube again. Go to YouTube search Covin no ed Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon.
Speaker 2: Comment away, We'll talk to Joe Thomas. Ten time pro bowler, Hall of Famer Jonas coming up here in a moment. A couple of phone calls in here Brian in Michigan. Hi, Brian, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan six six foot worn two worn out two ten.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 8: I don't want to rehash everything going on in Michigan. We all know what's going on. I just wondered, how much damage do you think it would do to the program if they just waited to hire a head coach. Let Pogi run it and finish the investigation and get into president and go from there. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a crazy opinion, because there's a lot to navigate here, And maybe if you're just going to leave an interim coach in there and then next year, you know, maybe it'll be more attractive job post cleanup. Can you keep the players there? That would be the key, And then you're going to have a lot of other candidates because right now the coaching carousel isn't moving, and maybe you're gonna have to target somebody who's in the playoffs right now, depending on how far they go in the playoffs. So do you wait until the playoffs are over or do you maybe wait until next season. We'll get some more phone calls eight seven to seven to three DP show. He's Joe Thomas, Hall of Famer joining us on the program. Good to see you again. We've been talking about the playing surfaces and the fact that yesterday the NFL says, hey, we're going to conduct another study here on the playing surfaces. Why are we here where we can't have a universe playing field up you know, surface is either ast turf or regular turf. And why did it take maybe injuries to a couple of more key players before we all of a sudden have everybody's attention.
Speaker 9: Well, it just comes back to the fact that the owners didn't want to all agree to spend the money to invest in the fields because you got teams like the Cincinnati Bengals. They don't want to even pay to get the snow removed from the seats of the fans, so they're saving every dime they poss we can, Whereas you have some teams that are willing to spend the money on player safety. I think it was the Baltimore Ravens a few years ago. They realized that, hey, turf fields, they're not good for players' bodies, and the people that suffer the most are our own players because they play the most games in our home stadium. So let's make this the best surface we possibly can that's going to reduce the most injuries possible and keep that consistent and uniform. And so I think it's just a matter of those NFL owners haven't all been able to agree on what it takes to get that consistency, and the union really just doesn't have enough power to be able to force the hands of the owners.
Speaker 2: Worst playing surface you ever played on?
Speaker 9: Well, I hated playing in Cincinnati on their old turf because of how hard it was. I mean just standing on that, I could feel it in my back and my knees. But I would say playing in Soldier Field, like at the end of the year, or playing in the old Heinz Field when they used to I think they still maybe do play like the high school championships there. They played pitt on Saturdays and the thing is just a mud pit by the end of the season, and so there is no consistency at all with your footing. But I'm not a fast guy as it is, so hey, I was happy that everyone was a little bit slower and we were all a little bit more at the same speed when we played in those really greasy, nasty tracks.
Speaker 2: As a Hall of Fame lineman, how would you put into perspective what Miles Garrett is on the verge of doing setting the all time sack record.
Speaker 9: So until my I don't ever remember watching an NFL defensive lineman from my college days, all the way through the days that I was playing, and now as a fan where I said, I'm watching him, Eh, I don't think that I can block him more than my fair share when I'm at my best. And that's what I say about Miles when I watch him. I played against him when he was a rookie and I was in my last season and I barely had a chance to try to block him and get a glove on him then, and he's like thirty forty percent better than he was at that time, And so I watch him and I say, I don't know how I would have been able to block him when on one and I think that's the mentality that a lot of offenses, basically every offense that he's gone against this season has said, because nobody's blocking him one on one. Even the best tackles in the game right now are not allowed to go against him one on one because he is so dominant.
Speaker 4: There's nobody in.
Speaker 9: The game that can block him consistently throughout the course of an entire game.
Speaker 2: How surprised were you that he kind of took back the trade request when the Browns were to make him the highest paid defensive player.
Speaker 9: I was really surprised because I'd talked to him throughout that the course of the hold out, where he said he's not coming back and it doesn't matter. He's all about trying to win championships. And you know, I go on the radio a lot in Cleveland especially, and you know, I want to make sure that if I'm saying something, you know, it aligns with what he's thinking and what you know he is trying to get done, because I want to make sure that this is true what I'm saying about him. And you know, he was telling me that it doesn't matter what the money is. You know, he's frustrated, he's ready to leave and unless something drastically changes from the vision that they have, he was not really ready to come back. And of course they decided to make him the highest paid defensive player, which was surpassed by Michael Parsons later on.
Speaker 2: But the vision didn't change Joe. This is not a good team. He's not winning anything anytime soon, and maybe not in his career.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I agree. So I'm trying to tell you that they must have said something in their little witch's brew that they had going on before they gave him that drink.
Speaker 2: I think they just said, how does forty million dollars feel? We're not gonna win anything? Forty million dollars, all right? You know what, I don't need to win.
Speaker 9: I think it was partly that, but I do think that they had convinced them of some vision that was more convincing than the fans have gotten of. Hey, we're going to win a championship. You're going to be part of it. And I think a lot of it probably honestly had to do with Jim Schwartz on defense, as his defensive coordinator loves him and they do have a really good defense. Didn't play well last week against the Bears. But I think they kind of built up the fact that you could be part of this great historic defense. You could do amazing things like chase the sack record, and oh, by the way, we're going to invest in our offense. Maybe not year one, but we're going to get it right on offense with a quarterback, adding some weapons on the outside. And then in year two we're going to be competitive and have a chance with this great defense led by you. And oh, by the way, you can finish your career where you started, which is very rare in the NFL. And so I think all those things kind of put together made up maybe forty percent. And then yeah, like I said, sixty percent was hey, we'll pay a lot of money. Like, okay, that sounds good to Have.
Speaker 2: You seen enough of Shudor Sanders to offer a definitive opinion.
Speaker 5: Not yet.
Speaker 9: We need to see him the rest of the season. We saw a really great game a few weeks ago where he had over three hundred yards passing. He led their team on a long drive to finish the game to put them in position to make a two point version and tie the game going overtime. Of course, they called a weird play and shouldor wasn't on the field for that, but that's a different topic. But at least he did the things that you need to do to be a franchise quarterback in the NFL, which is you've got to get the points and the yards that you need when you need it, and that's usually in the two minute drill in the fourth quarter. And he was showing steady improvement, but then last week there was regression. And it's a little bit challenging because his offensive lines banged up as receivers are playing hot potato and throwing the football out of the defense, and so it's a little bit difficult to look at everything he's doing out there on Sundays without being in those meeting rooms and know what he's being asked to do and properly evaluate him. But with the amount of up and down that we've seen so far, you need to see him in these last three games to be able to declare him the franchise quarterback of the future.
Speaker 2: Could you come out of retirement like Philip.
Speaker 9: Rids, No way, I had my hip orplacement in the spring. I'm sore enough after sleeping. You got a new hip, Yeah, that's right. Hey, there we go and fixed to let's do the bo Jackson. I'm ready to fix the other one. Fix the knees in the back. Just turn me into a robot bionic man, give me an AI brain, and I'll be ready to go back out there. Sign me up today for maybe some future gains potentially.
Speaker 2: But could you imagine trying to protect Philip Rivers. Let's say you're playing at your all pro level and you got a forty four year old quarterback adding to even more pressure, and you're playing against Seattle. Are you Are you going to hold onto your defensive lineman a little bit longer than normal.
Speaker 9: There's definitely gonna be some decisions in their minds about, Okay, I got beat. Should I just let him go and not get a penalty, or should I save this man's life the same age as my dad, I just go and tackle him around the knees and not allow anybody to touch my quarterback. Because yeah, there's a lot of pressure. You know, there's a lot of pressure when you got a quarterback that can move a little bit and that's young and they can withstand some hits. But I'm not sure that Philip Rivers is there anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's out there. He's out there.
Speaker 5: I don't give it as best.
Speaker 9: I give him credit.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, this point, Joe, that our best option is a forty four year old guy who hasn't played in five years and never had a strong arm and certainly doesn't have that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 9: He did a pretty good job last weekend. I'm not sure how long he's gonna be able to do it. I mean, hey, he gave his team a chance to win.
Speaker 2: He did, but the defense, the defense gave them a chance to They played really good defense. Philip had a touchdown pen. Look, I know it's a great story, but I gotta call it as I see it. His arm is so weak, and I'm just amazed. Like some of those passes they're bad. Really, they just float.
Speaker 9: I mean they were floating when I was playing when I was thirty years old, so you can only imagine it's probably not going the other direction. So you give him credit. But it does say something about the development of that quarterback room in Indianapolis that they didn't trust any of those guys. They'd rather have Philip come off the couch at forty four with a noodle arm and say, hey, here, you go prop them up there. Hopefully you can give us at least a few passes off throwing an interception and we might win the game.
Speaker 2: How would you feel if you're against Miles Garrett and he needs one more sack to break the record, fourth quarter and you're blocking him.
Speaker 9: So I'm assuming that we're winning because we're playing against the Browns. Unfortunately, so we're winning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you know the game, but you're going against Miles Garrett. He needs one sack to break the record, and its fourth quarter.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't give it to him. But what I would say to my quarterback is, hey, hold onto the ball as long as you need to throw the ball into the end zone. If we get a touchdown, great, But if Miles sacks you, that's okay too. Because I always cheer for players, I don't always cheer now for teams, obviously the Browns, but I love Miles. I think he's doing it the right way on the field. He's given incredible effort, playing the game the right way. He's a great team player, he says the right things off the field, and so for him to be able to hold that sack record I think would be special and to be honest, I was a Packer fan, and when Brett Favre rolled out and laid down on the turf to give Michael Strahan that record, I felt like it was a little bit tarnished. And I would love to see Miles with that sack record where everybody says, without a doubt, this is the deserving sack champion of all time.
Speaker 2: In the end, you're joining us on behalf of the officially licensed UNU game of the NFL. What's going on with UNO in the NFL?
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 9: I'm not shoving Hall of Fame beefsticks in your in your mouth this time like it was last time when we were there in Green Bay. But it's really cool. I'm super excited that UNO, which is one of my favorite family games, has put together this UNO Elite Playoff tournament being held right now all over the country on hobby shops and anybody can sign up. It's free to enter, and if you register, you get a chance to win an amazing thing that UNO's given away three days, two nights, a trip to Las Vegas for their UNO Elite Championship. The winner is going to walk away with ten grand but most importantly, the most coveted trophy of all time if you're a child in America or if you're a parent of a kid, and that's the UNO Elite Trophy. You're walking around with that peacock and a lot better than if you had a Hall of Fame bus like I have behind me. That is really the taj mahal of trophy is if you're a dad or if you're a kid.
Speaker 2: Fans can sign up at UNO Elite Championship dot com. Great to talk to you again. Happy holidays to you, Joe.
Speaker 9: Happy holidays, Dan. Thanks for having me on the show again. Great to see you, see you.
Speaker 2: I don't think how many how many sacks did he give up? But was he called for like three holding penalties in his career? Like the numbers are pretty crazy? Yes, Like where you go? What? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, he's prime a. They didn't lose because of me.
Speaker 2: Yes. If you're pointing fingers, is the reason why the Browns lost, you didn't point it at Joe Thomas? Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 10: There's a couple of different reports, ones from the Cleveland Browns team website. They said that Joe Thomas allowed thirty sacks in six seven hundred pass block snaps.
Speaker 2: How many times was he called for holding? See if you can find that. Yeah, Jennifer and Washington. Hi Jennifer, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hi?
Speaker 12: Dan?
Speaker 13: Morning guys, Morning and a fluffy one to eighty over here.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 13: I have a question for you, Dan, but real quick, I did want to a happy birthday to my best friend Nicholas. He turned me on your show. But so, Dan, I think you had predicted Chief Lions for the Super Bowl? Yes, who are your new picks?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stick with the Chiefs and the lines, you know, yes, yeah, go ahead, start to finish on that. I can't be a quitter. Now. I think the Rams are probably the best team that I've seen. When everybody's playing at a high level, it feels like the Rams. I keep waiting for the Eagles to play better. I just it feels like they're going to have one of those games. And the Rams almost knocked them off last year, So I would say the Rams and I man, I'm impressed with Denver. They're playing at home with that defense and bo Nicks, and he's played well, you know, because earlier in the year it felt like, uh oh, he's regressing, and then all of a sudden, you see him now and then you see what he was building on in that first year. I would say Denver, but Buffalo has a weird feel to them. They just do. Yeah, Marvin, do you.
Speaker 5: Think the Broncos are playing with house money?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: You know what if we get to the AFC Championship Game and we lose, you know what, great season? No one expected us to get this far. You think they played almost like the uh No Commanders last year.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can say that to Sean Payton, like, you know, he's here to win another Super Bowl. Now, that puts him into a different category. Like a lot of times we look at a coach who wins the Super Bowl. You know, when they win another Super Bowl, just like quarterbacks, it puts them in a different category. Yeah, mar oh, no, I'm with you.
Speaker 6: But I feel the same way about the Buffalo Bills. I said that yesterday, and you guys are like, oh, if they lose to the Broncos, Buffalo, the fans don't want to hear that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they're Buffalo's not playing with house money.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, they're under pressure.
Speaker 6: But I'm saying the Broncos might be because we didn't expect him to get this far or be this good this fast.
Speaker 2: Well, they were a playoff team last year. I think New England is different because we might look at them and go, is this really their year? Because it all kind of fell into place, and Drake May's played really well. I think they've surprised me far more than Denver has. Denver's defense is incredible, it is, yeah, point.
Speaker 10: But if I'm the Patriots head coach or the Broncos head coach, I say, look at Joe Burrow and the Bengals four years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh they'll be back.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, have lots of chances. Joe Burrow, he's going right back to him and Jamar Chase right back.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I hate when people say that. I hate when they go, oh, Drake May, it's not his turn to win an MVP. You know he'll get his opportunity. You never know. And I hate because we've seen what happened so quickly, whether a team elevates or a team just falls apart. I mean, the Bengals aren't close to being a super Bowl caliber team even when everybody's healthy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: David in Ohio, Hi, David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Hey, Dan's thinking of all these at L injuries. I sources confirmed that Patrick Mahomes had a successful ATL surgery in Dallas, Texas. It's really great that something successful has come out of Dallas.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, all right, David, all right. I thought there was a big wind up there. It's always successful surgery always. I had shoulder surgery. I didn't think it was successful, you know, just saying sometimes it's not successful. This was years ago where I had a torn labram and uh, it's still not great. And you know, I just don't want the doctor to say, yes, it was successful surgery. Yes, Pauline, could you go.
Speaker 10: Back and say, hey, it it didn't work.
Speaker 2: I'd like, no, I don't want to go back. No no, no, no, no, no, No more surgeries. No more surgery. You're you're quitting. I am quitting. I told my wife, I don't care what happens. No more surgery. You're living. I can't arm falls off, it stays off. I can't do it anymore. I'm a game of operation. Yes, TOD and these teams legally say.
Speaker 12: It's successful surgery, because that's just a phrase that everybody uses.
Speaker 5: Like, what do they say about t J?
Speaker 12: Watt situation, which may have been caused by one of the Yeah, we took care of his lung.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was a procedure. He was going for treatment and then had the collapse lung, so he didn't go in for a collapse long. He had to be treated for a collapse long. And I'm still not sure what happened in the situation like that.
Speaker 10: That's been quiet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what happened.
Speaker 2: Unless you're getting an injection and then that brought about a collapse.
Speaker 4: Long.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what happened to Tyron Taylor?
Speaker 10: Yeah, paint injection before the game.
Speaker 5: There was the patient's fault.
Speaker 2: He had a bad reaction.
Speaker 5: We did, we did. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: He moved, it was his fault, yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 10: A bunch of years ago, I had a thing called pleurisy and they had to drain my lung with this big syringe type thing and they said don't move, like don't They held you almost like an a vice to put it on.
Speaker 2: Why did they think you were going to move to begin with?
Speaker 10: Well, they yeah, I don't move a lot generally in life. But like I was in this little chair and they're doing it and they're draining it and they're like, do not shake, and I'm like, well, I'll try, but if it's painful, there's you know, yeah, but you ry not.
Speaker 2: You're not moving. I don't think anybody sits down and go hey, we're going to inject you don't move okay, Like you left your car running.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, you know what, let me get up for a moment. Oh, I got this cramp in my leg. Let me get up. Yes, tun.
Speaker 12: I also like when you go to get your blood drawn, and if they screw it up the first so sometimes multiple times they blame your veins, most of them screwing it up, and they have to do it a second or third time, they got to stick you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's tough because I'm not good with needles to begin with. By the way, I think Nick Wright's wife accused me of having maybe botox. When we went to dinner. She showed up yeah yeah, to your face, Yeah, to your yeah face, to my yeah what used to be my face, my new face. But I think that she wanted to know if I had had botox, and I said no, but I'm going to deny it publicly. I haven't had any cosmetic surgery. This is the second person who's asked me, you know, don't I.
Speaker 12: Just gonna have to admit it if they keep asking you about.
Speaker 2: I would have admitted it to her. She was like, you haven't had anything done up here, but you know my forehead or I said no, no, yes, Martin.
Speaker 5: Take that as a huge compliment. Yeah for sure twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, yeah, I mean, I'm not saying I shouldn't have cosmetic surgery. I what todd years ago I was.
Speaker 12: When I was at the gym, back in the good old days. I was accused by a few people, like, you know, you're taking steroids now. They're like, oh, didn't you used to work out a long time ago?
Speaker 2: What happened Now's when you take this.
Speaker 5: Dramatically, it's I used to work out.
Speaker 2: I would say, your arms are huge, they are huge, But what.
Speaker 5: Does that catch of your waist is, Well, that's up to you.
Speaker 2: That's that's up to you.
Speaker 10: I'm sure he's gonna change his habits now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's a lot easy to stand in front of the mirror of lifting the weights up.
Speaker 2: But your arms, you got huge arms, huge, you got offensive lineman arms.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna push over, though I have know like core or center of gravity.
Speaker 5: You could just blow me over with a feather.
Speaker 2: But your mid section is like big dom of the Eagles.
Speaker 5: I think that's a fair noalogy. I had to come back to the.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, let's take a break here back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen.
Speaker 2: Live seeking would you update me on the poll results so far during today's program?
Speaker 14: Heck, yeah, all right, I would love to do that right now.
Speaker 5: We got up there.
Speaker 14: The steel This one's from Paul Steelers are threatening they'll have an early playoff exit or they're not making the playoffs. Right now, seventy nine percent of the audience have them as an early playoff exit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got a.
Speaker 14: Middle of the road on that one.
Speaker 2: Here's Aaron Rodgers after last night's win.
Speaker 15: There's some cast offs. If you look at our roster, which it makes it really special. You know, Kenny Gamewell signed a next to nothing contract. You know Connor Hayward after thought had a touchdown run. You know Mark Quz been on a couple of teams. Adam Thielen got cut. Samuel was on the street for a long time. So it says a lot about the character of the guys we brought in.
Speaker 2: It is patchwork now. Fritzie said, do you think Aaron Rodgers is saying that as if to say, hey, look at what I'm doing with all these cast offs here? And I thought, no, I don't think so.
Speaker 12: It's a little bit of like, look, we're about to win.
Speaker 2: The division Aaron against.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 5: That's a little of that.
Speaker 14: Yes, I thought it was more like like, he too is a cast off. They're all sort of on this island of misfit toys, you know, and they sort of all pieced together. I felt like he was including himself in that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, But he didn't say I'm a cast off too.
Speaker 14: No, he did it, Yeah, they did it, But he just said if you look at this roster, it's a lot of castouts.
Speaker 2: If he had included himself in there.
Speaker 14: I took that as the subtext, Oh, like me and these guys, given Aaron the benefit of the down.
Speaker 2: He's a little bit of a cast off himself. He is a subtext. Yes, he's a walking, breathing subtext.
Speaker 10: Yes, Paul of Aaron Rodgers throwing numbers are up this year sixty three percent to sixty seven this year. His touchdowns are up, his interceptions will be a little lower than last year. His quarterback rating right now is ninety nine, last year is ninety.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean these are all serviceable numbers here. I just don't think it's a great team, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 1: Only someone with.
Speaker 12: My ability to experience could take this group of downtrodden folks that no one else wants to get them to possibly a division time.
Speaker 2: Let me thank you Dodd Martin in Atlanta, Hi Martin.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 16: I just want to say thanks again and happy all day to the fellas. I heard a great comment from Brady Quit the other day about the field turf issue, and he was saying that both turfs and grass could be quality fields, but it's when you play on the other one and make the change it causes the problems because you have different traction and he gave different grips and you play it differently, and that's where a lot of these injuries come from. Not the turf itself, it's the playing between two different types of turfs.
Speaker 2: Well, but you have the non contact injury. That's the tricky part with this. Now that could be the surface if you slide, it could be the shoes that you wear. But the NFL is getting around to commissioning a study for this, and once again, as Joe Thomas said, the owners it comes down to they just don't want to spend the money.
Speaker 5: But I would.
Speaker 2: I think if I'm going to have an all purpose turf, if I'm going to have concerts in there, I want to get something that is going to be durable, that will hold up. But you would think somebody would be able to come up with a surface that would be a fishing for everybody. Cost of fission for everybody. I mean, the last thing you want is, oh, you know what, I didn't spend that extra money. I just lost my forty seven million dollar quarterback.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Pauling, I'm looking at the description of field turf which most places use, and they use crumbled up rubber which gives a little more get like slide so your feet don't catch as often. That's the goal of field turf and the rubber to let the foot slide a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can see it come up if you've ever been on the turf, you can actually see it when people run or cut. You can see little pieces of rubber come up. Final hour, Mike Golick Senior will join us. Arch Manning is coming back, no surprise. More phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com. Two hours in the books on this Tuesday. One more to go with Fritzie, Satan, mar Paully, Yours truly in the BRGS.