Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our.
Speaker 2: Two on this Friday, it's a meat Friday. At that case, you're wondering Philly cheese steaks today and beer battered fries. So I went to Tyler. Tyler is our resident cook, and I said, why don't we Why don't we have Kansas City barbecue? He goes, well, I thought you would be doing that next week in New Orleans. I said, no, we should be doing both of those today because I don't know what Chad from Treger Chef Greg from Kings Hawaiian is going to make. And then he tells me, well, he's a Philly fan, and that's why we're having Philly cheese steaks. So he took matters into his own hands a little bit. A little bit, but Tyler has Philly cheese steaks, beer battered fries. Who has better than we do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Body?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, wait a minute, I there should be some objectivity on this show there normally is. I didn't know that Tyler was playing favorites here and that he was rooting for Philadelphia. Who has it better than we do? No still sounded phony, but I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Eight.
Speaker 5: Yes, time they get all the calls and all the rings. At least we can do is get some barbecue out of the deal.
Speaker 2: Just kind of rings the chiefs.
Speaker 5: If we're going like honoring Kansas City and the chiefs. If they're getting all the rings and they getting all the calls from the officials, let us get some wings out of there.
Speaker 2: How abount some onion rings? Oh, onion rings.
Speaker 5: That's very great.
Speaker 2: We could have done cheese steaks and onion rings.
Speaker 5: What do we haven't said French fries? What's the connection?
Speaker 2: Beer battered? I have no idea. Once again, I just run this place. He didn't. Tyler is gone rogue. He doesn't tell me what meat Friday is anymore. So when I went back there, he goes, are you upset? I go, no, But we should have had Kansas City ribs to go with Philly cheese steaks.
Speaker 3: It's all just like the chef from the menu, no substitutions. I'd like that movie the menu I did. I thought Ray Fines was really good, really creepy, but then he just clapped once and then all of a sudden everything stopped. Yeah, and after like the fifth clap, people were like, can you stop doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you knew somebody was dying in that movie. Yes, Paul, did you guys see that movie Burnt? Yeah, with Bradley Cooper.
Speaker 6: Bradley Cooper, he's a high end chef with drug problems. Was that good? I've seen it twice?
Speaker 7: Mmm.
Speaker 2: I thought that was terrible?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I watched it. It was another one halfway through as like, I guess I'm finishing this thing. But there was no real I don't know. That was the whole thing was a little forced. It felt forced.
Speaker 2: Oh, did not get good reviews? What was the Chef movie with Jon Favreau and Sophia Vega and he had like a food truck. I think it's called Chef. I thought that was pretty good.
Speaker 6: Chef and the hot girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it wasn't believable that John Favreau's got Sophia v He's got quite the resume he does. He's got a great resume. And and I like that movie. I thought it was pretty good. I'm it to the point now where I just go, how do I get through the next two hours? What can I watch that gets me through the next couple of hours? That's about it. That's what it's because I'm watching Kneecap. I think it's on Netflix. It's about a Northern Ireland rap group.
Speaker 6: I think you're making this.
Speaker 2: No, it's called knee Cap and it's it's a rap group in Northern Ireland and they they're speaking Gaelic straight out of Belfast. Yeah, yeah, Northern Ireland. Yes, that's not an NFL films. Detroit Lions Year in Review. Okay, and I'll let you in on that one. We'll get phone calls coming up. We'll talk about the All Star snubs in the NBA once again. If you want somebody on, you have to take somebody off. That's the way it works. I like how people would be, Hey, I'm gonna stand up for this guy, and I go, okay, you want that guy on the you want somebonus on the All Star team? Who you taking off? Let me know who you're taking off, because that's how it works. There's only a finite number of people who are making the All Star team. By the way, we don't care about the All Star team, but we care about the All Star snubs.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that he got job there. And then we'll complain about the All Star Game. Seaton's on the road. We'll probably hear from him next hour as he makes his way. I think he gets to New Orleans today, but we'll find out on the road with Maco. Go to Danpatrick dot com follow the road to New Orleans. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC at Mako. They bring your car back to life, affordable pain chops like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Oh, better get Maco.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you download the app if you haven't done so. Poll question for hour two is going to be what Dylan So?
Speaker 3: I actually just overheard Paul say this. I think it's a good one for the All Star Game. Would you rather make the team and people think you shouldn't be on it or get snubbed and everyone will be like, oh, you got snubbed.
Speaker 2: Feels like you get more attention getting snubbed than you do if you make the two more runway with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if people are going talking about Pascal Siakam today because he made the All Star team. I don't think. So you're the first person to mention it, Yes, yeah, probably so? And then you're going to get Trey Young should have been on there. Sabona should have been on there. LaMelo Ball should have been on there. Okay, who you taking off? We'll talk about that coming up. Also, I'm watching the Lakers against the Wizards, and once again it's kind of a slow night at my household. The Lakers beat the Wizards one, thirty four to ninety six, thirty eight point win. There largest this season, and the thirty eight point wins surpassed their win over Washington last week when they won one to eleven to eighty eight. Ronnie James got to play, and well, this is what it sounded like last night.
Speaker 9: James patrolling the possession.
Speaker 2: Handy ovation. I don't know if it was standing ovation, but they were chanting MVP at one point Spectrum Sportsnet. Now the reason why I bring this up, You know, Ronnie is in a precarious position. I don't think he's ready to play. I think he's playing obviously because of his dad. They're picking and choosing when they bring him up. He got really exposed by Tyrese Maxey, but Tyrese Maxey exposes just about everybody. But you really saw the difference between an All Star caliber guard and a guy who probably should be in the G League. I mean, there's a reason why he was drafted fifty fifth. But Stephen A. Smith a couple of days ago had this to say in a message to Lebron James about his son on first take, I'm.
Speaker 10: Really really trying to be as respectful as I possibly can be towards Lebron James, one of the top two or three players in the history of basketball, Number two in my eyes, a treasure to the game of basketball that we should and will all miss when he is gone. I am pleading with Lebron James as a father.
Speaker 2: Stop this, Stop this. You're not sending him to Afghanistan.
Speaker 6: Good God, I've never been that serious about anything.
Speaker 2: God, I wasn't that serious at my mom's funeral. Stop this, stop this pleading with you.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: If you didn't know the context, but I just said, listen to his voice, you'd be like, oh my god, somebody passed away.
Speaker 8: What happened.
Speaker 10: I'm really really trying.
Speaker 6: I gotta give him credit for the delivery. Though it's oh he's a great actor, awesome, No, No, he's great. Absolutely. There is always theater, and then he's got to get in that. Maybe second greatest of all time. As a father, I'm pleading with you. I am begging you.
Speaker 11: It's like throwing a towel, like Rocky four. My gosh, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Oh he just got he got into a basketball game. He's not in Iraq, Like, let's let's be oh, play it, play it one more time.
Speaker 10: I'm really really trying to be as respectful as I possibly can towards Lebron James, one of the top two or three players in the history of basketball, Number two in my eyes, a treasure to the game of basketball that we should and will all miss when he is gone. I am pleading with Lebron James as a father, stop this, stop this.
Speaker 2: Would you give now?
Speaker 6: Would you give twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: Some operators standing by? Yes, Paul, What if the.
Speaker 6: Next morning Lebron James called a press conference that stephen A, you're right, we're shutting this all down. Yes, that was the tipping point.
Speaker 2: Yes, I finally had some clarity. Now I realize what I'm doing as a father to this poor child. He gets to play for the Lakers, he gets to be a professional basketball player. Yes, there's nepotism, but I think I'm being a pretty damn good father. You know, I got him to the NBA. He's getting paid. Yeah, he gets embarrassed when he gets in, but that's okay. He's learning. He's learning on the job, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 5: But as a fellow human who enjoys the sport of basketball. Let's end this madness once and fro.
Speaker 2: It sounds like Liam Neeson and taken.
Speaker 6: Michael Jordan didn't put his kids on the Wizards.
Speaker 2: No, the greatest of all time, with all due respect.
Speaker 5: I will hunt you down, I will find you, and I will send you.
Speaker 4: Back to the.
Speaker 2: That's the new Liam Neeson movie, the G League. I will find you and I will send you back to the CHI League. A certain set of skills. I don't know what those are. I don't know what those are at this point. He created this so if his son gets in, you know, it's getting his ass handed to him. Okay, not the end of the world. JJ Reddick doesn't have to put him in. Lebron could say to JJ, hey, I just like having him around as the twelfth man on the roster. Hey, he's learning by proxy just being around his But when he got in, he played fifteen minutes against Philadelphia, and Tyrese Maxey was torturing him. Took it right to him. But I mean, he's going to do that to a lot of people. But I don't feel sorry for Brownie from the standpoint of he's in the game. Okay, he's in the game. Whatever happens, happens. I can't feel sorry for you. But the whole scenario we talked about it, I get it, he had clout, he used it. His son is there for however long. I mean, he's probably only going to be there until his dad retires, because he's not a guy who's going to be playing a lot, at least not yet. And I talked about it. He should have stayed one more year, been a starter and maybe a star at USC. I saw where Gilbert Arenas's son, five star recruit, and he might be better than his dad when it's all said and done. He's going to USC. How about those collect he can collect? He can and his daughter too. Yeah, Gilbert's son and daughter are high high, high end, five star recruit.
Speaker 11: He's like LaVar ball two point zero. Oh, don't say that as far.
Speaker 4: As getting your kids.
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, no, I'm not saying.
Speaker 4: What's role LaVar Ball.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 11: I'll say what he's done as a father.
Speaker 2: He finally got out of the way.
Speaker 11: I'm not talking about him as he made.
Speaker 2: It about himself for years, and I said, get out of the way. Let your kids play. Let let's see if they can play. It's not about you and your big baller brand and all that nonsense.
Speaker 11: Yes, oh, but I wasn't talking about him doing all the you know, big baller brand and all that. I was only talking about getting his kids to where he wanted them to go. And I was to the NBA. He and to be a rap star. The middle Sun is a rapper.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gotta what's it called tweaker sweaker Yeah yeah. And he's the best shooter of all the brothers.
Speaker 11: Yes he is.
Speaker 6: And he does not play basketball in.
Speaker 2: Him no, no, but he could shoot. I mean he could shoot though, Yes, that's all. That's all he could do. But LaMelo should be an All Star, right.
Speaker 11: His team's not good enough. I wouldn't take anybody else off and put him on.
Speaker 2: But you don't have to do it. You know, there's not a representative from every team, correct, But he has. At one point he was leading the NBA and scoring wasn't he at one point? Yes, yeah, all right, Well we'll talk about this coming up. More phone calls as well. When we come back, We're going to play the Super Bowl boost game. Who would benefit the most? Whose career would be boosted most by winning a Super Bowl? Also Cam Newton, he was an MVP, He was in the Super Bowl, lost the Super Bowl, and then he was asked what you'd rather have an NFL MVP regular season or a Super Bowl win? Is answer surprising? We'll talk about that coming up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Dan, I had a Hi the face bet for Dylan. I was wondering if he wanted to take the over on camera hands to Taylor Swift over five and a half and I'll take the under five and a.
Speaker 2: Half, Okay, Dylan, Pie to the face David in Ohio over under Taylor Swift appearances, so.
Speaker 3: I actually like the under there, but as a man of sport, I will take the over.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, you got a bet, David, and I will take the under all right, okay, fair enough. Jim in Ohio, Hi Jim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Happy sedued me Friday, Stan. Good morning to the three and a half Danet. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions on the wedding, the battle that you went through. The couple that got engaged. Number one, are they still together? In two? Have they ever apologized or tried to make it right? I don't know what you could do to make that right, but as there have been any revolution to that issue.
Speaker 2: No, I got married thirty seven years ago and a couple got engaged at my reception, or told me as I walked into my reception, saying the quote was not to upstage you, but we got engaged and they are not still together. So thirty one, well, I will you know, I root for love. I love love, but in that case, I didn't necessarily love love. I kind of just go scoreboard with that person and be like, man, I'm getting around my thirty seventh wedding anniversary. How about you? Oh that's right, you're on your third marriage. But no, there was no apology for getting engaged, announcing the engagement at my wedding. Let's see Ellen in Wisconsin. Hi Ellen, Hi Ellen, Ellen. I think Ellen. I don't know if she butt dialed us. Jake and Buffalo. Hey Jake, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan? I'm the Chiefs not sure if they are or should be the villain nationally, But you talked about earlier. Villain is one who's blamed for a particular evil, And as Bills fans, I can't think of a more perfect textbook definition. There's nothing more evil than those fans going through the bratty Belichick rain, a seventeen year playoff drought. We finally draft a quarterback with who's doubted he is one of the best guys in the league, and we run into the Chiefs every year and have no success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but some of that has to be blamed internally. You know, you have to direct that blame that you you allow them to do the things that they do. At the end of games and Mahomes has your number, Bill's had the ball. If you would have said three and a half minutes ago, three timeouts, you got the two minute warning, and you got to get a field goal to send this into overtime, Josh Allen, sure you'd sign up for that. Don't go to a fourth down. So as much as you can credit the Chiefs, you can blame the Buffalo Bills. Cam Newton was on first Take with steven A and he was asked about he won the MVP during the regular season, was at twenty fifteen, then went to the Super Bowl. They got blown out by Denver, and steven A asked the following question to Cam Newton.
Speaker 10: I asked you, Cam, if you could give back that league MVP for a Super Bowl championship, would you do it?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 7: What's more important? Impact or championships. Everybody's not going to be Michael Jordan. Everybody's not going to be Patrick. Everybody's not going to be these individuals who have the luxury of saying, hey, I not only dominated this sport, but I also have championships to back it.
Speaker 2: Refreshingly honest, and I've appreciated that. I've developed a friendship relationship with Cam since he retired. He's sought out advice and you know, interviewing, and this is good content here. I'm assuming that he truly believes this, that he wants to be I won the MVP, I was the best, as opposed to we won the super Bowl. We were the best. He's looking at this individually. Now, I would take the super Bowl because I that's forever. Nobody's celebrating your MVP forever, but they're celebrating a super Bowl forever. Nick Foles comes back to an Eagle game. That's forever. Your city celebrates forever, the teammates celebrate forever. That's the beauty of winning a super Bowl. And you're the quarterback of the super Bowl winning team, even if you've, like if you finished runner up as MVP and won the super Bowl, he'd probably take that. I'm guessing, Hey, I didn't win the regular season MVP, but I won we won the super Bowl. Because that's where you get together, you share. People talk about that. We don't sit around and go, hey, man, let's talk about Adrian Peterson winning the regular season MVP only because he's the last non quarterback to be the MVP. That's it. But you're not talking about that. I mean, rich Gannon won an MVP. I don't know if groups get together, if all of his teammates get together and go, hey, let's talk about that MVP. But if you win a super Bowl, that's when you're celebrating everybody. But that year he lost the Super Bowl to Tampa.
Speaker 11: Yes, Marvin Seattle's not getting together to celebrate Shaan Alexander.
Speaker 2: Probably not sure. But I don't know why Cam would say that, though I get it that you want to be stamped with the immortality of one year. I was the best player in the game, okay, But to have your team as the best in the sport, that year, to me lives on because the city of Carolina or Charlotte is not celebrating your MVP. It's not like they go, hey, let's celebrate that MVP. If you won a Super Bowl, that's forever, that's constant.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tod, is that a must lie situation? Is it selfish that he said that? Is that cool that he was honest?
Speaker 2: And then I don't think. I don't think Cam worries about a musclee situation. I think Cam tells you what Cam really feels. Does anybody agree that you'd rather be the regular season MVP and not Super Bowl champs? Okay? Marv?
Speaker 11: To me, it depends, well, what gets me closer to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's say you're not getting the Hall of Fame. Is Cam going to the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 11: Probably not Yeah, college Football Hall of Fame, but probably not enough numbers there with the NFL, and they didn't win a super Bowl, so probably stay the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Paul, I could see how Cam's thinking is.
Speaker 6: My goal in life was to be the best football player on Earth, and I did it for one year. There's lots of guys who quarterback super Bowl teams and never get that honor. So maybe that was his goal growing up. Not that he didn't try to win and didn't do his best, that team doesn't sniff the Super Bowl without him, but I could see how he's staying to what his life goal was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but as a quarterback, it's about your team.
Speaker 6: I'm agreeing with you, and I would go the other way from Cam, but I could see where his deep reason is because.
Speaker 2: You can be really good, but your team is not really good. But if your position is quarterback, that's incumbent upon you to make your team better. And that's where making your team better that you did your job and we won a super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tod, Yeah, that would kind of bother me a little bit having that sitting on the mantle or with the how are you ever going to display it or not display it? That I might have been the very best that year, but I didn't take my team all the way. As great as I was, it wasn't enough to win the championships.
Speaker 2: Ye, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And I don't want to make it seem like Cam Newton is not trying to win, because he did the exact same thing at Auburn. He took a less than stellar team all the way to the national championship while winning a Heisman Trophy. So I think in Cam's mine, man, I want to win both, but if I had to choose one, it's gonna be the MVP since he already has it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I mean, look, once again, refreshingly honest, I appreciate that, But do I really think that he believes that I do. I just don't. I don't think that that's the route to go because of the number of people who will share in that one trophy as opposed to maybe your family shares in an MVP trophy. You might have teammates who say, hey, you know what, you couldn't have done it without us, or we're glad we helped you get there winning that super Bowl. I mean we would be talking about that. That would be on his resume. To me, quarterbacking position is about winning super bowls, right, That's what it's all about with that position. No other position in sports do we go how many titles did you win? And the only time we do it is with Lebron is when it has something to do with Michael. That's it. Quarterbacks. It's about winning a super Bowl, Yes, Ton.
Speaker 5: That's why.
Speaker 11: Until further notice, Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 6: Is yeah, but yes, Paulie cam came close to the superfecta in college national title, Heisman, in the PROS League MVP, super Bowl Champion. How many guys in history have that? Those four together? We got to look that up. No one's popping. I'm sure we're missing someone, but we're gonna look that up. Is that the four you'd want? Would you want League MVP and super Bowl Champion over super Bowl MVP and Super Bowl Champion? You get to pick both, so it's gravy. So wait, what's the first one? So you're the League MVP, yeah, and you win the super Bowl. But in that Super Bowl you're not the MVP, okay, or you're not the you know, you're not the league MVP, but you win the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in that season.
Speaker 2: I'd rather be regular season MVP and win a super Bowl. It's the double yeah yeah yeah. Then you get individual greatness and then you get team success. So I would take that. Uh, let's see Miles in California. Hi, Miles, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Happy Friday, DP, Happy Friday boys?
Speaker 13: How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Everything's what's on your mind? Miles?
Speaker 14: Awesome? So o from California. I'm a Rams fan, but I do love the Chiefs and just all the all the hate towards them. The only thing I can really think of is just everyone hates a winner. We got America. He's Travis Kelsey getting America's sweetheart. Patrick Mahomes, he's just dazzling when.
Speaker 4: He's on the field.
Speaker 8: And Andy Reid just like a LOVABLELEK coach.
Speaker 14: So hey, this is gonna hate hate hate.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Miss how about we play the boost game? Since we were talking about Cam Newton and not winning a Super Bowl but winning an MVP. The Super Bowl Boost game, the player or coach who gets the biggest boost to their careers if their team wins. Tod, let's play the Super Bowl boost game. Who do you have?
Speaker 5: Because he's in the goat conversation, it'll be three in a row. I know it's the same for Andy Reid in some ways.
Speaker 3: Patrick Mahomes, right, Dylan, I think Saquon Barkley after kind of just withering away on the Giants for that long and then year one on the new team wins the Super Bowl.
Speaker 11: Okay, Marvin Dylan took mine. I got Saquon also.
Speaker 6: Oh, Paul, I have Saquon for a number of reasons. With the Giants, he had two very good years and four years where he's banged up and was when's he going to get it together? Now, he's the best running back in football. He's entering the Hall of Fame territory now. If he could get a Super Bowl MVP, he now goes in my opinion, he'd be leaning towards the Hall of Fame, not leaning against.
Speaker 2: Well, he'd need put together about three or four more really good years.
Speaker 6: But the light's green for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Eagle green Eagle green. Yeah. Absolutely, I would say both quarterbacks that Jalen hurds. Now, all of a sudden, you're in that not elite category, but now you've moved up. He's in kind of the second or third grouping with quarterbacks. Now you move up with the Super Bowl win if you play well with Mahomes. I think it's Mahomes gets the boost because now all of a sudden, Brady is within your sights. You're twenty nine and you're going to three peat something. It's never been done before, and I think the three peat in the NFL, you're the first team to do it. People will always come back to that, remember when the Chiefs did that, And I think that will resonate for a longer period of time. Then you know, if somebody else is going to win a Super Bowl, But I would say Mahomes winning another Super Bowl because now it puts you in the those who have three peted, and that's where you bring in other sports, other players, and you inevitably bring in Michael Jordan and or Tiger Woods type of comparisons there. All right, we're going to take a break. When we come back, we're going to talk some NBA with the All Star snubs, but who should be in and who's should be out and the trade deadline is I think we're seven days away. Is anything of significance, major significance going to happen? So we'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We make Way for Vincent Goodwill, one of our favorites covering the NBA, Yahoo's Sports Senior NBA writer, host of the Good Word podcast. Great to have you on again. Not sure how you reacted to Commissioner Silver saying an idea that he liked, not that he's pushing for it, not that it's going to happen next season. Ten minute quarters, forty minute games, your thoughts.
Speaker 4: And people come on your show, and all of a sudden you ask crazy questions, you get crazy answers, and all of a sudden you get aggregated because the commissioner comes on your show and behaves like he's not the commissioner, but like he's a fan that's watching the game and saying, Ah, these damn games are too long. I can't stay awake all for two and a half hours. How about this, here's a radical idea, Commissioner Silver and Commissioner Dan Patrick, how about we eliminate these reviews. When I'm at an arena and these reviews take fifteen minutes, I'm exaggerating slightly for something that we can all see. I know we want to get calls, right, I know we want to We have all these different angles, and you know, if it touched the fingertip of someone's finger when it went off of the other guy's hand, like that type of thing. There's ways you can expedite the process of the game without messing with the structural integrity and history of the game. Dan, you know me, I live in the crates. We don't have to We don't have to shorten this. And how about we stop telling people that something is wrong with the game. If you're telling people something is wrong with the game, then people will start believing that something is wrong with the game.
Speaker 2: But his goal is international, global domination. Where you play this in the Olympics, and you play this in the EuroLeague. You know, probably seven of your top ten players are from Europe or outside the United States. So maybe looking at uniformity there, and look, I'm not forward er against it, but I'm open to it. Dan, that's the difference. I'm open to it, Dan benon.
Speaker 4: Why do those foreign players play in the NBA and not in the euroleagues.
Speaker 2: Because they make more money over here.
Speaker 4: Okay, So if this is the standard, then you set the standard here, you don't follow the standard. I believe it was the wise philosopher JJ Reddick was set that last night, and I've never set those words in philosopher JJ Reddick.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve, Steve Kerr said you gotta open your mind, you got to be open minded to this.
Speaker 4: Why is it always the NBA that has to make these radical changes? Like Baseball is nine innings?
Speaker 2: The NFL is baseball did a pitch count a clock? Oh my god? People went crazy. They made the visit is larger. People went crazy. The kickoffs in the NFL, people went crazy.
Speaker 4: Is it still twenty seven outs?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, Paul, is it still twenty seven? Is twenty seven?
Speaker 4: I'm just curious? Is it's still twenty seven outs? And my thing is with the NBA as a whole, there's always this appearance that something is wrong and it has to be fixed. There's tweaks that you make there's ways to get ahead. They're behind on this three point stuff, right, Dan. They are severely behind on all this three point stuff. But when you talk about the history the integrity of the game. I know I'm an old young person, but I don't have a problem with the game being forty eight minutes. How about this, Dan, here's a novel concept. If the game starts at seven thirty. How about the game actually starts at seven thirty and not seven forty five, not to cut off some time for TV.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is not that hard rock impersonation, it little bit it sounded like that. Why don't you started at seven thirty? Okay? Do you have a tweak for the three point line?
Speaker 4: Two things that I would entertain, one a little more serious than others. The corner three is such a shot that everybody aims towards, right, because it's so much shorter than the other three point line? Can we make the line across the way? Can we widen the floor, which we know we won't do because you got to sell those expensive tickets. So if you're not going to widen the floor, eliminate the corner three? Or Dan? The best idea for me? How about we allow to hand check on the perimeter. That way, you don't give up the easy switches where you have bigs running out at guards. That compromises the integrity of your defense, and you give defenses a chance. It's not so much much that the three point shot is taken in abundance, it's that it's the easier shot to take because defenses don't get a chance to run at you. If they do run at you, you wind up getting flagrant files or something like that. Because you can test the jump shot, you're not giving defenses a chance. So if you give someone a little arm bar, maybe they'll be more likely to explore the other real estate. There's some good real estate in the middle of the floor. No matter what the nerves tell you, a sixteen foot shot is far easier than a twenty foot shot. But if you notice two dan dudes are not taught to shoot that, so when they get in the sixteen foot range, they throw up these crappy floaters as opposed to shooting an actual jump shot. If the game is broken, the game is broken in the way that it's being taught, not the way that it's being played. At this level.
Speaker 2: Vincent goodwill Y'allhoo's Sports senior NBA writer, host of The Good Word podcast. I've said for years we need to widen the floor a little bit because the corner three, you know what you talked about. How about we limit the number, We cap the number of threes your team can take at twenty five. Therefore, the people you want to take the three will, the better shooters will take the threes, and now it becomes a little bit more of an economical game of when do you take those threes and when do you not?
Speaker 4: My problem with that, Dan is if a player gets on a heater, right, If Stephen Curry is.
Speaker 2: On a heater, then you go twenty five.
Speaker 4: Theoretically theoretically right, but I don't want to strut that was like the NFL saying you can only throw forty passes a game because you got to run the ball thirty times. Like there has to be good decision making in this, not saying you can only do this a certain amount of time. You want to be stupid and take fifty three is a game, Go ahead and be stupid. I'm not going to prevent you from your stupidity. It's just the league. What the league's problem is on this front, Dan is the league's job. They assume that structurally and from an entertainment standpoint, that the executives and the coaches and the analytics people are looking out for the best interests of the game and how it looks esthetically. That's the league's job. Those other people, they're looking for ways to cheat the system. Like Dan, when I was in college and I was, you know, a broke college student, I was looking for ways to sneak inside the cafeteria when nobody was watching. That's not on that's on me to try to beat the system. It's on you to fix the system.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get to the those players give me the biggest snub and if you give me a name, who are you taking off the roster? Because that's the way it works. Although most people just say somebody got snubbed, who are you taking off? Vincent, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I hate the people who say, oh, such as us get snubbed and then we get an All Star team with twenty guys, right, I will say that if I won't say if the Mantis, Sabonis and Sacramento got snubbed. But to me, that's the guy that I'm looking and I'm like, yeah, I can see why he has a strong case. Lena Ligan rebounding. The Kings are above five hundred. They've been a winning team as of late since the firing of Mike Brown. But I'm not taking off our permission going I'm not putting Trey Young on they All Star team, Like I'm not putting LaMelo Ball on the All Star team. If this were I will say this, Dan, if this were an actual All Star game with great defense and you're gonna need some creativity, somebody's gonna do something wild and crazy to shake it up. Give me LaMelo Ball, give me Trey Young. But as far as how they've played their effect on winning, what the numbers say beyond the row statistics, I think By and Lars, the coaches got it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would take James harden off.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to necessarily argue with you. I think he's had a good I think he's had a really good year in the LA four team that we didn't expect much from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sacramento with Sabona, I mean it's hard to argue those numbers. I mean he gets he gets overshadowed by djok when it comes to all points and rebounds and assists. Well, nobody compares to him but James Harden.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think this is a great James Harden year. By James Harden standers, We're talking about arguably maybe one of the top five or six shooting guards in league history. You know what I mean. Like when you zoom out and you look at what he's done, the effect on the game, not necessarily aesthetically in what he's accomlished from a team standpoint, but when he's done, you're gonna look at, say, Man, James Harden was really good. It's just I think this Clippers team has been much better than people expected. There was a case for Norm Powell on that very team, who's leading the team in scoring. So I'm not gonna argue with you on that one.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 4: I know we come and spar a little bit. I don't really have an argument. If you say James Harden off and the Matta Sabonis on, that might be the only one. But I'm not going to the wall for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me somebody who's moved at the trade deadline that we care about.
Speaker 4: Man, Look, we all know that Jimmy Butler and this Miami Heat thing is going to you know, look that Look, all that's left for pat Ryer to do is to kiss Jimmy and say you broke my heart and put him on a plane to Havana or something like that. Like that's all that's left, right right, I think that's all that's left essentially for he has to be dan this. If there's a question to ask Adam Silver, it is are you comfortable with these standoffs between players and teams, legacy players and legacy franchises that gum up the attention of the season. So yeah, Jimmy Butler should be gone. And pat Riley in the Miami Heat I wrote about it. I know people don't like hearing about it and saying about it. They are just as culpable as Jimmy Butler's activity is for the situation. They should have moved him the second they told him, we're not going to give you an extension. That's the way it goes in the NBA. If your star player does not feel appreciated, he wants an extension, you're not going to give it to him. How much you're paying him. You trade him to prevent something like this, because if nothing else. We know Jimmy Butler's movies. He's going you know that. You know that, Jeff, You're probably online. Dan, there's like someone on a swing and there's a building burning behind him.
Speaker 2: To wait for that movie scenario, I'm running out of time. Vincent, Vincent Goodwill yah, Who's sports Final Hour coming up?