Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory. Foul Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahade Charmer with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic and Patrick Jed Hoyer has made a trade. His hand was forced. Essentially, the injuries have gotten out of control. They were already stacking up before this four game set with the Mets started. We've got two more potentially significant injuries. We'll talk more about the injuries in a little bit, but a late night trade with the Mets, getting David Peterson from the Mets. Surface level numbers don't look good, but this is a guy that puts the ball on the ground and that works for the Cubs. And frankly, they just need healthy major league arms right now. Beggars can't be choosers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to sum it up.
Speaker 3: And I think there's a lot to like, probably because the Cubs are so desperate, But to find a guy who was an All Star as recently as last season. Granted he wasn't very good in the second half and has not been good this season, but still, I mean a nice pedigree as a first round pick. I think you can't underestimate the importance of escaping a losing situation and just giving the Cubs something to work with. Like we've seen how they've pretty much depleted all of their pitching reserves. There's not really another guy just waiting there in Iowa that you'd feel comfortable with. And look, I mean that Mets game Wednesday night, the second half of the doubleheader, I mean just atrocious defense like you could not have. You know, I think that's gonna be one of those games, you know, when our colleagues at the Athletic are writing kind of the autopsy of the season. I think that'll be one of those sort of games or nights when you include the Peterson trade. I know they're you know, they're saying it's not a full scale sell off at this point. I think they can reserve the right to change their mind as well.
Speaker 2: But you know, you.
Speaker 3: Put escaping New York Cubs infrastructure, just general change of scenery like we've seen them do more with less before.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean they you know, they had Chris Fluxon doing decently was that last year, Like you know, it was kind of smoking mirrors for a while, but he was productive for them. And got them through a segment of the season, and quick council is kind of sat now twice. I believe it was Tuesday after Cabrera got hurt and then Wednesday after we heard about Ben Brown. They just kind of need to get through this segment, like get to the All Star break. That's how he's kind of looking at it. He's not denying that they're in a bit of a bind. They are short on pitching. It is this is when you have to make one of those moves. Cole Mathis is a decent prospect. He's hurt a lot, but he second round pick from the Matt Shaw draft or camp Smith draft.
Speaker 3: Cam Smith Draws camp Smithles Mathis, and Ronnie Cruz.
Speaker 2: The top three picks from that draft have all been traded.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, and matthis. I did get some good reports on Mathis. I think his inability to stay healthy is it makes it a little more you know, digestible for Cubs fans and the orger to part with him. But he is a slugger, someone that you know, if he stays healthy, it could be an interesting prospect down the line. But it's kind of this. I said it to some other reporters yesterday when we were when we got the news of Ben Brown, I was like, Okay, now's when you have to make the Quinn Priester type trade. You have to maybe overpay for someone that can give you innings and maybe that person turns out to be better than you expected. I think you nailed it. The defense is one and you said the change of scenery. I think just when you're on a team that's struggling like that, that type of stuff can snowball and it can just be hard. Like six errors yesterday. Maybe if they're a winning ball club, that's a three er game. Just because you lose your focus, you're a little overthinking things, whatever it may be. I think when you're losing as much as the Mets are and struggling like things do have a way of getting in your head. It's kind of like we could make the argument, it's kind of like how the offense struggled for so long and in the offense has gotten better. One of those guys that's turned around, he's a key to the defense. Let's make this our Daily Dingers segment presented by Fan Duel. We were talking about Dansby Swanson and Benching him a week ago. Patrick, We're not immune from this stuff. He and it was legitimate. It's not like there was an overreaction. It had been quite a while of struggles from Dansby Swanson, but Craig Council basically said there were two reasons. You know, the best version of the Cubs is with Dansby Swanson figuring it out, and he is a great defensive shortstop. Cheded Hoyer said, don't. We can't run away from our defense. It's our strength. It's the backbone of their team. Dansby Swanson helped win them a playoff series with his glove. Kenny help Kenny help the team, make David Peterson a little bit better than he was with the Mets. That's probably what the Cubs are wondering right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the defense stuff we sort of take for granted after a while, Like when Jed and counsels say that sort of stuff, you're like, yeah, but it's super frustrating for fans to watch, you know, those at bats and just how how comfortable opposing pitchers seemed to get once they got to.
Speaker 2: A certain point in the Cubs lineup.
Speaker 3: Maybe after you face PCA at the top and the Cubs media relations staff their research team had some good ones yesterday. I mean Dansey with the first player in franchise history with three straight four plus RBI games and doing stuff that like when you're being mentioned next to Ernie Banks and Sammy Sosha in terms of like home run RBI combinations over certain number games, you know you're doing something right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I did feel like he had a good It was a shortened weekend, I know, but it looked like he was starting to get put the hit the ball on the line a little bit more. That home run he hit that was wind blown was that against the Rockies. I didn't feel like that game was really the turning point, but he followed it up with some quality at bats in the following games, and that's seeing that. It's like, oh okay, he's starting to hit the ball on the line. And obviously the past three games he's he's done a lot. He's done a lot for this team and glob that like, they need these guys, and right now I think they need the offense to continue to carry them. I don't know how they're gonna get through this weekend against the Brewers, but they need they need to hit. It's going to be interesting. I don't like, you know, the pitching is just so shorthanded. I know. They added David Peterson. They added Bryce Wilson, another name picked up off the waiver wire from the Phillies. Not the same upside as Peterson, but healthy body that can give you innings, maybe give you starts. Northside Territory is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call you a shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is a home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 4: No purchase necessary often required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Patrick. The injuries, like we said, just don't seem to want to stop for this team. Ben Brown, we got the news probably right after we came up to the press box. That was Wednesday pregame. We'd already gotten news about Edward Cabrera. Obviously we saw it happen. Ben Brown out. We don't really have a timeline. I think we'll get more news possibly today. He's going to see the dot He went to see the doctors in Chicago, I think yesterday Wednesday. But it's an that issue and it could be the same thing as before, which was an osteoma with basically like this benign tumor bone tumor and it causes pain. He's had it since the start in San Francisco, I think June thirteenth, but he's been able to pitch through it. Wasn't able to get through his bullpen on Tuesday, and now he's on the il. He's been amazing for this team. We've talked a lot about him. He deserves a ton of props for the changes he's made out of that sinker, using his change up more both effective pitches. He's a four pitch pitcher now, very good upside is starting to be reached, really impressive. And this is this is a huge blow. This is a this is one that it's going to be hard for this team if he's out for a significant period of time. Oh sorry, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 3: This uh, this pitching Steve. This is where things get get dicey, like when you wonder what are they doing in the sixth seventh faith innings, or if you don't like council's decisions here and there, it's like, well those could have been Ben Brown's high leverage opportunities.
Speaker 2: And but obviously he's still getting the rotation.
Speaker 3: There's so much more upside there you get, you know, him moving into rotation, and he was We did our mid season grades the other day and.
Speaker 2: He was one of the few like A level.
Speaker 3: Performers, and you know, it's it's been really hard, you know, trying to map the stuff out. I feel like you and I we talk about story ideas a lot. We try to collect things and anticipate.
Speaker 2: And I wrote something on Ben Brown.
Speaker 3: Right before that San Francisco start, or of just like they're treating him with a lot of caution, like you want to see how it goes. Okay, he has one good spot start fine, all right, he puts together a couple Oh wow, like another guy gets injured. Like he is not only at the front of this rotation, he has a legitimate all star case, especially when you look at you know, how how those teams are selected, and you know, guys getting injured, guys backing out saying they can't pitch, like he was on his own worthy of it, and then you add all that other stuff in. You know, I wouldn't have been shocked for him to go back to Philadelphia, the organization that drafted him and around that lo longer exists, would have been an amazing story. And now it feels like everything is sort of on hold. When I was researching that story, I was like, Yeah, what was that thing he had? And you wrote about it in like the following spring training like it was really sort of mysterious. It was kept under wraps. We didn't really get a very good explanation. Really until you got him in Mesa the following year. I had to link to that story and just an unusual situation. You know, you don't know how many more of these blows the staff can withstand. But I do think this is I'm going back to those mid season grades again of like, they went out and won three games against the Mets, and if they can tread water and make it to the All Star Break in a decent position, I think there'll be a you know, big time credit to you know, the front office and the coaching staff for keeping things on track. And you know, once you get past that All Star break, then it's like, okay, reinforcements should be coming at the trade deadline.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know they get a lot of criticism for the struggles that they've had. They had a lot of depth in the pitching staff to start the season. You can't you cannot plan for six starters to be on the IL. You can try, but I mean that's a lot of starters to hit the IL. You just cannot have that many quality starting pitchers, and a lot of the depth that they had didn't work out in a sense. Jackson Wiggins has heard Kyle Wright, who they took a flyer on lets. Sometimes you're not going to get guys that are fully healthy to sign to be your thirteenth starter, you know what I mean. So you kind of have to take flyers on guys and hope they work their way back. And in an ideal scenario, Kyle Wright would be ready in June. He had a setback in April or whatever and probably is not going to pitch this season. Those types of things happen, and those are the types of guys you have for depth because you cannot, like I said, you're not going to go sign anyone great. The other thing I keep seeing is like, what's wrong with the training staff? Look, I think the company to evaluate all those things, absolutely, but these last two injuries, you know, Ben Brown is into training staff issue, isn't a training staff issue? And I just don't like none of these It's not like we're seeing a pattern of everyone having the same issue and everyone's elbow blowing out. That's not to say they shouldn't look into it and try and figure out if they're doing anything wrong. I just think this is a ton of bad luck happening, and some of it is you know, you've gotten some injury prone guys. I mean, Kate Horton. They drafted a guy coming off like that they knew was coming off. Tommy John surgery. You know, you want to look at Jackson Wiggins. That's a guy that was injured when they drafted him. Edward Cabrera has a long injury history, so you know that. But it's also just part of pitching. I don't I don't know if there's blame to you know, throw around here, but I do think they do. They do deserve some credit for, you know, kind of treading water so far, and if they can really get through the All Star break, that's that's when it's impressive. We'll see, We'll see how this weekend goes as as well. Let's take a quick break and come back and talk about what happened with Carrera.
Speaker 6: You know why you are enjoying this minute because we're happy, crats. We're happy because we're wearing mac Weldon.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm six ft five and nobody can give me tall clothing, but mack Weldon allows me to have it. So I don't really have to care about how I look, and I still look good because I don't put a lot of time into what I do to pick out my clothes, mack Weldon takes care.
Speaker 1: Of it for me.
Speaker 6: Classic always in style made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. Summer gets sweaty, don't let unnecessary sweat spots emerge. Mack Weldon's air Knit X fabric helps you out. Their lightest fabric is fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. The barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and fresh. Don't sweat the heat this summer feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With mack Weldon. Go to mackwell dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A C K W E L d O N dot com code f ou L.
Speaker 1: So there was Edward Kaber running to cover first base in the with two outs in the fifth inning. He had looked shaky at times, but bounced back nicely and had only given up two runs. Stretches to make a play because it was one of those balls that went in between Bush and Horner and Nico made the play. It was a tough play. It was a bang bang play. He had to stretch to make it. I can tell you that like when I watched him, he kind of like jumped up and like was almost like trying to will himself like I'm not in pain. This doesn't hurt, and like had to crumple to the ground and couldn't really carry his weight. Like it was like he was like that initial move. I was like, oh, maybe he's okay because he kind of like hopped up and you thought, okay, he felt a little something, but he's good. He's just like testing it out and it was instant like going back to the ground. Craig Counsel's reaction was kind of like like dropping his head, like really again. Another one that was I think I can't remember his pitch gump, but my guess is that was probably it for Cabrera too. And it's just like these types of things. It's like showed a covering first last year that happened and that was a huge blow. The hamstring. This is also being called a hamstring. They're not giving us a timeline. I heard a little more severe than Tye On, so maybe a little bit longer than him, but not significantly. So that's the initial hope. I think we'll get more information as the days go and we have a clearer plan for how we'll come back. But this is you know, I know Edward Cabrera hasn't been living up to the hype just yet, but this is just I mean, just keeps the gut punches, just keep coming for this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at least Cabrera is a capable, competent major league picture, Like, there's no question about that. He hasn't been as good as a Cub soaped it's left a lot to be desired. But to me someone you'd want to just keep going out there in the hopes that it does click because the stuff, his physicality, all of it is very impressive. And I guess if you're an optimist, you know you can look at that kind of August September playoff push that maybe the Cubs will have a bunch of pictures come off injured list and get healthy and be relatively fresh. But again, gonna there's a long way to go to just get there. And I think this is you know, why that ten game losing streak was so frustrating of just like it just felt like they immediately gave their margin for error right back that you know, if you oh gratued. They had a lot of crazy walk off wins too, So like maybe they are kind of where they deserve.
Speaker 2: But if you if you just.
Speaker 3: Were able to shorten that extended skid just a little bit, you know, you'd have a little more maneuverability. If the Brewers weren't as good as they've been this year, you know, I think you might feel slightly better about things. But yeah, just really it goes back to what we talked about it before you've written it for the athletic of just so many logical offseason moves for the Cubs just have not panned out yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the offense is starting to pick up, and that's what they need. They need the offense to kind of carry them. Right now, maybe we'll see that it's going to be really like or maybe we're just seeing them feast on lesser pitching, but uh, they're going to obviously be tested this weekend. Three really good pitchers Misowski, Kyle Harrison, and I believe Brandon Woodruff is going Game three. And that's I mean, the first two are our studs this season. They've been absolutely brilliant and they dominated the Cubs the first time they face them, so it's going to it's not going to be an easy weekend and it could be a disheartening one for Cubs fans. I know that first series can that was like kind of right in the middle of the ten game losing streak. Yeah, I can't remember if it started it or if it was right in the middle of it, but it it was. It kind of was an exclam point as far as like this team is a much better than the Cubs right now. They kind of emphasize that we'll see if that's still the case, if the Cubs offense can can put up some runs against these guys. I think that's how you build confidence and say this is how we get through this. Our pitching is going to take some bits. We haven't even talked about the bullpen. I think the bullpen's really shaky right now. I don't feel confident in anyone going out there and having a clean inning. It's almost like they have to just like build up a big enough lead and hope it's not given up. And that's kind of what the last few games have been. So we'll see how rough it gets. They have kind of got caught up in a sense like it had gotten some of these wins back with this mini winning streak here, this stretch here, I think this is the first time they're six games over five hundred since like like may I may be wrong on that.
Speaker 2: I look this up.
Speaker 1: It was during the ten game losing streak, so it's been a little bit since they've been to this point. They need to just try and stack some series wins, eek out some wins against the Brewers if they can, and hope and hope they get healthy at all start break. I think that's their best bet, no doubt. All right, let's wrap this up. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things Cubs. Thanks for thanks so much for listening and watching. Take care,