Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hour two on this Thursday, Dan and the dan ET's Dan Patrick Show. Tomorrow night will be the first time the Dodgers have faced elimination since Game four of the NLDS last fall. Scoring opportunities few and far between, so game five to fifth time. In the last eleven postseason games, the Dodgers managed just two runs or less. And if I take away the eighteen runs in their two game run against the Reds and the wild Card Series, the Dodgers are averaging three and a half runs per game. Their last thirteen postseason games, they're averaging three and a half runs. They have four runs in the last twenty nine innings against the Blue Jays, and the blue Jays aren't a pitching dominant team, They're a hitting team. So now you go to Toronto with all that momentum on the side of the Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Eight seven to seven to three. DP Show.
Speaker 2: So email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP Show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates as well. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Patini America the official trading cards of the program. Shuck around and find out that T shirt's available. Tyler Shuck of the Saints going to make his debut against the Rams. The t shirt available at Danpatrick dot com. Sunday Night. It's a matchup between two teams looking to make a little noise. Seahawks facing off against the Commander's Primetime Sunday seven Eastern no on NBC and Peacock Last Hour. I talked about talking to a handicapper in Vegas yesterday afternoon when we talked about a couple of different things, a couple of different sports, And I said, why are you guys in love with the Ravens? And he says, I got the Ravens to win the AFC North. Well, they played tonight. They have two wins right now, and lo and behold I DraftKings. I said, give me the odds on who's gonna win the AFC North. The Ravens at minus one thirty, Steelers plus one sixty, then the Bengals at plus eight hundred, the Browns plus four thousand. Man, something's gonna happen here, and it better start tonight. Favored by seven and a half in Miami. But you know, the Sharps have been on the Ravens for a little while now, like as a a value pick. But they're favored by seven and a half the over under fifty one and a half points. We'll have the gambling podcast later on today with Shay and Irving, Bad Larry and Dylan. That'll be available at danpatrick dot com. All right, Satan poll question, let's clean up hour one and head into hour two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got two up there right now. We have more must win tonight for the Ravens or Mike McDaniel. Sixty one percent have the Ravens. And for the rest of the World series, you have Blue Jayson, six Blue Jays and seven or Dodgers in seven Blue Jays and six right now, barely ahead of Blue Jays and seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, and then we got to keep those up for this hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll roll with those for a little bit.
Speaker 4: We'll probably get one here from the to double D for a little fun a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yes, Todd is working on his Halloween names for tomorrow, and I said, how about a rhyme time is what.
Speaker 5: We will do? Both?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Can you do that?
Speaker 5: And featuring feats Dan Orlovski and you.
Speaker 3: Could still be involved in and I can pay, and I.
Speaker 6: Can pay attention where you can ask me a question, I most take a name when you were looking for a number, and vice versa.
Speaker 2: What happened yesterday because I heard the first part.
Speaker 5: Of the question and I took a chair.
Speaker 6: I was in the middle of an email with the NFL Newka something which I probably should have waited. I definitely should have waited. Didn't have to be done at that second. And I thought you were asking who is the last person to play average eighty games or playing eighty games? And I said Oscar Robertson. And you were looking for a number of games. So I just that was an epic fail, like eleven.
Speaker 2: The number of players who played in Right.
Speaker 5: I'm still not kidding, right, And I said Oscar Robertson.
Speaker 6: So when you're looking for a number and someone says a name, it certainly proves that they didn't catch the full.
Speaker 2: Court Because we didn't talk about it afterwards. You didn't want to talk about it. You didn't say, hey, I'm sorry for you know doing that.
Speaker 6: I was moping more than I know. You addressing the apology aspect.
Speaker 2: And I need you to kind of stay in the moment three hours. Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 5: It's not asking a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after that, and do whatever you want.
Speaker 5: I was bummed.
Speaker 6: I was angry at myself, and I let it get the better of my emotions.
Speaker 7: Yes, well, I would say, Todd, if you had a do over yesterday when we went to commercial break, I would have walked right into Dan's side and said, my bad, won't do it again. They didn't do it, and then it goes away faster in my experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't do that.
Speaker 4: Oddly, it had completely gone away until Todd brought it up.
Speaker 2: No, I was still there.
Speaker 8: Oh was it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, simmering, Yes it was. He joked about it yesterday and I didn't respond to his joke. When you sent me an email or a text, that's true, and then you put Oscar Robertson in there.
Speaker 5: I should have just pulled the band aid off and said my bad. I that's wasn't paying attention to. Yeah, I'll learn for next time.
Speaker 6: Actually I will be in that STI won't be next time. I'll make sure I hear the entire question. I'll be ready for any pop quiz, whether I'm raising my hand or not?
Speaker 4: Are Is this a prop bet on whether Todd will learn for next time and then next time when this does happen, Okay, he will not admit that mistake again.
Speaker 3: Two and a half years.
Speaker 2: The over unders two and a half years, I'll have five more times.
Speaker 3: I think there's a good chance that I will by the end of the year.
Speaker 8: Easy.
Speaker 6: There's a good chance I will guess something wrong, but I will apologize for it quicker or apologize at all.
Speaker 3: Well, if you pay attention, then you don't have to apologize.
Speaker 6: I just accept somehow, some way I'm going to end up missing all of a sudden, You're gonna go, Todd, what do you think I'm like thought, I thought we raise our hand to tell you just threw.
Speaker 5: A pop star.
Speaker 3: I was working on the lookie for later. These things happen, okay, but just stay focused.
Speaker 2: Just stay focused, Okay.
Speaker 5: I hope to not miss any of it.
Speaker 2: And if you're going to send an email, send an email during a commercial break.
Speaker 6: Yes, that was poor judgment on my part that I felt like I had to check that box at that moment, and and you caught me off guard because I missed the part of the question that you're asked, and I gabbled instead of just saying, I should have just said I didn't hear what you said. Then you could have just said, why aren't you listening? As opposed to guessing a name when you're looking for a number, that makes it ten times worse.
Speaker 2: It was funny though where you were I could tell that you didn't You weren't listening, and then you tried to scramble and salvage it.
Speaker 5: But I mean, off chance that maybe I'm writing you were looking for a name, maybe it.
Speaker 6: Would have just been like, no, actually it was an Oscar Operser, it was Frankie Jones, and then it would have.
Speaker 3: Been fun Yes.
Speaker 7: Well, now the irony is yesterday you wanted a number and he gave a name. Two years ago during some type of quiz, you wanted a name and he answered eleven.
Speaker 3: Eleven, Now eleven and Oscar Roberts.
Speaker 2: That was great haunting the eleven still is funny around here, you know, when all else fails and we don't know an answer. Even the back room guys they go eleven yes to Speaking of numbers, do you hear about the six seven thing?
Speaker 5: The kids are saying? This is like a big story.
Speaker 6: I didn't hear about it until yesterday on the news, but I guess for like last month or so, kids are saying six seven or something.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean anything from some rap song.
Speaker 6: Lyric or something, and everyone's giggling six to seven because the adults don't get it, and they I think they're missing out on something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Paul, I'm not going to go too deep into this, but it's at least four months old, this story, and the kids are already past it. And my daughter joked yesterday, when the adults get it, it's well over.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, six to seven. Yeah, yeah, those kids, they're crazy.
Speaker 6: A very popular old news stage in New York decided yesterday they were breaking news about this six to seventh thing. They had four months old and they're just finding out about the kids saying six to seven.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get phone calls coming up. Jay Billis he was on the call for Victor Wembanyama game. Was that opening night for Victor Wembanyama March okay, and Jay was just gushing.
Speaker 9: He called them the greatest player ever. He did Okay, no he didn't, but he just.
Speaker 2: Didn't sound like it felt that way. Yeah, yes it did. All right, here's another story. The Louisiana governor is Jeff Landry. He told reporters yesterday that the LSU athletic director, Scott Woodward, would not be involved in selecting LSU's next football coach, saying he would let President Donald Trump do it before Woodward. Okay, a joke, but still, this is your acting athletic director here.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: Of course, fired Brian Kelly. Now you've got a settlement here, and Brian Kelly's going to walk away with perhaps fifty four million dollars. And well, here is the governor yesterday at the press conference.
Speaker 10: This is a pattern. The guy that's here now, I wrote that contract cost Texas A and M seventy some million dollars. Right now, we got a fifty three million dollar liability. We are not doing that again. And you know what, I believe. I believe that we're going to find.
Speaker 5: A great coach.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm not going to be picking the next coach, but I can promise you we're going to pick a coach and we're going to make sure that that coach is successful, and we're going to make sure that he's compensated. Properly, and We're going to put metrics on it because I'm tired of rewarding failure in this country and then leaving the tax mey is you know, to foot the bill. Look, my role is about the fiscal effect of firing a coach under a terrible contract.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he criticized Woodward, the athletic director, for greeing to a ten year, ninety five million dollar contract with Brian Kelly. LSU's on the hook for fifty four million dollars. Woodward said that the school would quote continue to negotiate Brian Kelly's separation and will work towards a path for that's better for both parties now. The governor then also criticized his athletic director for agreeing to a similar one sided coaching contract when Texas A and M. He was the athletic director when jimbo Fisher got his contract. We have another comment from the Governor, Marvin. Okay, so I could next Who's it?
Speaker 10: No, I can tell you right now, Swood, is I selected the next coach? Hell, I'll let Donald Trump select it before I'll let him do it. I don't know. But the Borto superwas is going to come up with a committee and they're gonna go find us a coach.
Speaker 2: That's SEC football right there, that's SEC football. Yeah, you got to throw my athletic director under the bus. Yes, ton, real quick question?
Speaker 5: What about the taxes?
Speaker 6: Are another player rate in our streets need to be a lot more safe and all the kids don't have school books?
Speaker 5: What are we gonna go?
Speaker 2: Okay, But in fairness to the governor, this was not about the football situation. He was asked football questions and then that was at the end of the press conference. I don't know what the press conference was about, but I know what it became about, because it was about, you know, picking your successor to Brian Kelly and doing it in a fiscal way. Now, I don't know if this means, hey, how about not a ten year deal? Hey, maybe you don't get that coach because you're going to be tied up for ten years and you should never be tied up for ten years with a coach with that amount of money. And this athletic director has done it twice with Jimbo Fisher and now Brian Kelling. You may not get the guy you want, but you might get somebody who is on the precipice of being somebody and maybe you get them at a better price. Don't go over five years. Don't in today's In today's college football climate, nobody's staying around for ten years, whether they want to leave or you want them to leave. Sustainability is so difficult now. I'm not signing up for ten years with anybody. I'd have a pre nup.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Polling.
Speaker 7: So in theory, the governor is agreeing with what you're saying, and he's going to have a more fiscally conscious contract for wherever the next head coach of LSU is. I don't know if he realizes that's not the current trend in college football, and no current coach is going to consider LSU under those conditions. For example, Lane Kiffin, if he gets a call from LSU and says we're going to offer you a six year contract and the buyout is light, he will not return their calls because Florida will not do that. They will would be with the old rules ten years, one hundred and ten million.
Speaker 2: Even if I give ten years Delane Kiffin, he's not staying there ten years.
Speaker 7: But he will never join your football team.
Speaker 2: You know what at some point, I have to have some kind of continuity. I have to have where we're both in this together. And Brian Kelly was never a good fit. He wasn't. He's a really good coach. He's going to coach someplace. He's going to get opportunities. Vegas already has odds of where they think he's going.
Speaker 3: To end up. He will coach.
Speaker 2: But if you're going to try to even Indiana with Kurt Signetti, I love the story, he's been successful. I don't want to give you nine years. I'm going to give you five. I'm going to give you five top end dollars. But after that then we go into this together. And it's not his age, it's just I can't give you ten years. That's an eternity in college football now. But the governor's involved in this, and I you know, you got other younger coaches here that would love to coach LSU, and maybe you sign them up for five years, maybe you get a friendly contract there. I mean, who are the marquee coaches that you have to give a ten year deal to. James Franklin. I don't want James Franklin. Urban Meyer is not going to show up in the doorstep. The only guy that you would ever consider this, or you might have to consider this, is Lane Kiffen Nick Saban's not coming back to LSU. Urban Meyer. The one guy is Lane Kiffin. All the other coaches, no, Ryan Day is not going tow NSU. So who are the coaches where you go? We're gonna I gotta give him ten ten years. Kirby Smart's not going down. None of these coaches are are going there. It's Lane Kiffin. That's it. Yeah, Paul, I don't know if you could look at it.
Speaker 7: There's no reports, but if Dan Landing of Oregon put himself out there, it would be interesting to see what he got from LSU. Just coach, energetic.
Speaker 3: But you're at Oregon, you're in the Big ten.
Speaker 2: You've got the financial resources that match Texas. You know, you got you know, the boosters, Phil Knight, Nike, that atmosphere. Now, I know he's an SEC guy, so I guess there's always that chance.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marmon, what about Dabo Sweeney.
Speaker 2: He's gonna want he'll want a ten year deal, but I don't. I don't want Dabo Sweeney for ten years. In today, it's really a ten year guy. But I don't want him not in today's college football because it's not working at Clemson. Your model was not working at Clemson right now. It did, but it's not going to it's not sustainable. You're gonna go to LSU. What system are you bringing in to LSU?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauline, I could see Sweeney because it's cooled off at Clemson right now and before you get a chance to be fired. Remember the old Jimbo Fisher model at Florida State. I'm cooling off. I'm cooling off. I'm gonna run to A and M and get ten years, seventy five million. That could be what Dabo does before someone else tells him he's leaving.
Speaker 2: I hope LSU hires somebody who is, you know, an up and coming guy and get that opportunity. But you know, maybe you get these guys who go I could swoop in and get a big payday.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 3: It feels like Lane Kiffin's gone.
Speaker 2: It just feels like that. And I brought this up about the documentary that I saw on the mother Ship. And there's no reason for him to leave Oxford given that he's family's there, he's healthy. Now, there's a lot of positives there what he's doing for Ole Miss. But I don't know if Lane has always got one foot in and one foot out. It just feels like that's his personality. Yes, Marv, do you think.
Speaker 9: That the LSU brass would put up with a lower level, kind of no name head coach, Like we're LSU, how come we don't have a big time coach? If they get some guy that came from a smaller school, tod be like who.
Speaker 2: Well ed Orgeron wasn't a big name coach. Les Miles wasn't a big name coach.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: Nick Saban became a big name coach. So I think it could be a launching pad.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paulie Lane Kiffin does not make quite as much as some of the other coaches. I think he's I don't think he's in the top. He's the eleventh highest paid coach in the country as of this year. That win he had over Oklahoma last week actually triggered a one year contract extension for him, and that will pay him nine million. But that's at the back end of his contract.
Speaker 2: He is all right, I pump him up two more million dollars. Yeah, I put him in eleven million dollars. I keep him there all right, let me take a break. Ja Bill's going to join us. More phone calls coming up as well. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Hey is Covino and Rich from Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 12: In addition to hearing us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, We're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 3: Yup, that's right.
Speaker 12: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube. Again, go to YouTube search Covino and Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon.
Speaker 3: Comment away.
Speaker 2: So Austin Reeves had twenty eight the game winner and sixteen assists as the Lakers beat the Minnesota Timberwolves. I think the Wolves were without the couple players, weren't they Marvin.
Speaker 9: No Anthony Edwards last night?
Speaker 3: Okay, but did they have the stifled tower in there?
Speaker 9: They sure did? Oh that's that's who Austin Reeves hit the jumper over.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well it's a good thing that they had him, or Austin Reeves would have gone for forty five.
Speaker 9: Future Hall of Famer Rudy Gobert.
Speaker 2: He is, he's going to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 13: He is.
Speaker 2: Because somebody had to be first team All Pro when they were having center, two forwards and two guards.
Speaker 9: And all those defensive Player of the Year awards. Yeah, yeah, so he'll get in.
Speaker 2: Wemby should have gotten it if he but he didn't play enough games last year. But Webby's going to be Defensive Player of the Year this year.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paulie, this is gonna sound very harsh to Rudy Gobert, But can you be a Hall of Famer but also be a guy that you wouldn't want on your basketball team even in his prime?
Speaker 2: Well, no offense, okay, move on.
Speaker 3: Is Jay billis with us Todd.
Speaker 5: He's all set.
Speaker 2: Jay billis. He has top in college basketball. As all of a sudden, I'm watching the Spurs game. There's Jay and he is raving about Victor winbin Yama. When's the last time you raved about somebody like you did Victor win Banyama?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 13: Probably Zion Williamson in college something like that, or Lebron Kevin Durant, you know, when they were in college and coming into the draft. You know, it's rare that that you have a guy that you're you're looking at him going, I've never seen this before, and you know you're you're old enough. I'm not sure how much your audience is. But the only guy I could kind of compare when ban Yama two was Alph Sampson.
Speaker 8: Like, I really believe this. If for ALFH.
Speaker 13: Sampson were born twenty one years ago, he'd probably be in the wimban Yama atmosphere, because you know he was. Samson graduated college in eighty three and he was MVP the All Star Game in eighty five and averaged over twenty and ten with the Rockets before he got injured, and at seven four, really graceful athletic, very very skilled, but he was put down the post. If he were allowed to play today's game, yeah, I think he could be in that atmosphere. But there's never been anything like weban Yama at seven six or whatever he is now. He was standing next to Derek Lively the second of seven to one, and he made him look like it made it look like Derek Clivey was standing next to you.
Speaker 2: How would you describe his game?
Speaker 13: He is, He's like a seven foot six praying mantis that has the skills of a six to one guard, and he's he's become more physical to the point where last year, I think he was shooting about eight almost nine threes per game and half the amount of free throws. And this year he's not taking near as many threes. I mean he might be taking two a game, and he's shooting a ton of free throws. I mean, he's playing his game more in the paint and making his presence known from fifteen feet an end rather than outside of that area, and his effectiveness has gone way up. But I just think he's learning how to be more dominant in every aspect of the game. And he's only going to get better as long as he stays healthy. I mean he's twenty one years old, yeah, and he's only going to get better. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: How much of his development do you lean on where he played that he didn't go to college, but growing up in academies, the pro development and the all around development that that you find in Europe that you don't necessarily find here in the United States.
Speaker 13: I don't know that that's necessarily that big of a deal. Look, I think we have in the United States. We've got a skill development culture of late and more of an AAU culture. So look, we're going to find something to complain about. I mean, when we were in college, the coaches complained that we played too much pickup ball and we didn't do enough skill work. And now they're complaining that they do too much skill work, they don't play enough pickup nobody plays pick up anymore, and they don't know how to play five on five. We're always going to complain about something, But I think what we wind up missing in this Dan, and I'm not saying you, but you know, we tend to still have this narrative that foreign players are doing things substantially different than we are, instead of looking at it like since the ninety two Olympics and the dream team basketball has exploded worldwide, we still have most of the best players in.
Speaker 8: The world, but we're not going to have them all anymore.
Speaker 13: And the idea like right now the top five candidates for MVP are all foreign born players, shake Guilders. Alexander won it last year. He's Canadian. We're not going to have all the best players anymore. That's just not going to happen. The world's too big, and basketball is the second most popular sport in the world behind soccer.
Speaker 2: But if I put a non US five against a US five, who would you take.
Speaker 13: A non US five against the US five? Yeah, so you're asking me the international team. I mean, I would take Jokic, Wueban Yama, Doncic, Shake gild Justs, Alexander, that crew, and they'd be really hard to beat. But we'd be competitive. It's not like we wouldn't win. Like we're still winning gold medals now. But the problem is, like the it's kind of like the Ryder Cup. You can't have just one country against the United States. We're still going to win that. But if you take the rest of the world combined, of course, of course that's going to be a problem. But like if you know, if we were just playing if the Ryder Cup, if the US Ryder Cup team was just playing Great Britain and Ireland, now we dominate. That's why they went to Europe. That's why I say we still have most of the best players in the world, the overwhelming majority we still have, but we don't have them all.
Speaker 2: I get also Yanis on that non y Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Yanis, that's the time, thank you. That's the top five I was talking about for MVP. And the first American you're gonna mention American born player is probably going to be Anthony Edwards of Minnesota, and he's further down the list for MVP right now.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jay Billis, he's got Duke in Texas on November fourth and Kansas North Carolina November seventh. What did you make a Cooper flag and his performance against the Spurs.
Speaker 13: Good not great, but I I think you kind of expect that a little bit like he had a couple of things, if you want to say, working against him. He was at eighteen, asked to play the point guard position in his first NBA game, which certainly isn't an easy transition to make.
Speaker 8: He didn't play point at Duke.
Speaker 13: He's got point guard skills, obviously, and he was being guarded by Stefan Cassel, who's one of the handful of the best defenders in the league in my view, and that's a little bit of a.
Speaker 8: Challenge for a player.
Speaker 13: And then once if you do get by your initial defender, you're running into wembin Yama. So that's a challenge. He's had some really good games and really good moments, and like most rookies, I think he's going to have his up and downs throughout the year, but he's the real deal.
Speaker 8: And what is He.
Speaker 13: Averaged thirteen points, seven rebounds, whatever, And he's made some great plays and he's made some that haven't been as great. But I think as he gets adjusted and that won't take too long to happen, he's going to establish himself as one of the best players in the league.
Speaker 2: Anything stand out from Austin Reeves when you saw him in college?
Speaker 13: Yeah, So Austin Reeves started his career at Wichita State and the first time I really saw him play. I saw him before that, but when I really saw him play was at Maui when he was witched on.
Speaker 8: He had a shoulder injury.
Speaker 13: And played through it, and my thought was, man, this guy can really shoot it and he's tough. But did I think, Okay, he's going to be a great NBA player at that time?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 13: And then when he transferred to Oklahoma, you're going, man, this guy can really play. But still you weren't thinking like I wasn't. I wasn't like jumping banging my fist on the table when he didn't get drafted, going what are these guys doing?
Speaker 8: You know, this is idiotic? How can you not draft this guy?
Speaker 13: That's happening more and more now where players tend to blossom a little bit later, and you see more undrafted players having success in the NBA because it's not all about being a superstar. You know, you got the superstars that are in a small category in the lottery. And then, uh, I think I heard one of my colleagues last night, I think it was last night talking about, you know, how did how did these guys go undrafted? How did Nikola Jokic go in the second round? Well, I don't remember any of those guys saying why why wasn't it happening at the time. You know, scouting's not easy, and uh, and you're gonna you're gonna miss, like all thirty teams missed on Jokic in the first round. So it's not like it's not like somebody's got a magic formula of spotting this stuff in advance. You know, you do, you do the best you can. But Austin Reeves is a he's a stud, he's a he's a tough guy.
Speaker 2: Who's the guy the player that you thought he was going to be great and didn't turn out to be.
Speaker 8: Thought was going to be great. God, there have been a whole bunch of them.
Speaker 13: I don't have one off the top of my head Dan that I was like, Oh my god, I thought this guy was going to be unbelievable.
Speaker 8: I mean there's been there have been a.
Speaker 13: Bunch that, you know, we scratched our heads the year Anthony Bennett from YOUNLV was taken number one by Cleveland, Like, I didn't see that coming, But I also didn't see him being being out of the mix as quickly as he was. I didn't see the Markel Foltstein coming, Like who could have Who could have imagined that he have sort of issues that weren't related to his talent that would be so debilitating for him. But there have been a lot of guys that that we've over like that. The players are so young when you're evaluating them, it's hard not to over project him at times because you've seen other similar players, similar comps that did extraordinarily well, and you go, man, he fits the suit of this guy, so that that happens too. And that's why I think the longer I've done this, uh, the more I've come to come to realize for myself that you know, like we're kind of guessing you do the best you can, but you don't know you believe, like I believe this, Like when Lebron came out, I felt like I knew, like, but I've gone more to I really believe this.
Speaker 2: Who's the best player in college basketball this year?
Speaker 8: The best play?
Speaker 13: Well, we've got an unbelievable group of freshmen that are going to dominate the top of the draft. So BYU's got aj Devantza, and Duke's got Cameron Boozer, Kansas has h has Darren Peterson.
Speaker 8: So all these guys are going to compete for the number one pick.
Speaker 13: If I had one player I could have for a team, I would want Braden Smith to Purdue the point guard. He's the best point guard in the country. And I don't think it's close. And while a lot of people around the college space are are bringing their hands and predicting doomsday about you know that there are no rules, and it's the wild world West and all that stuff, which it's not. Purdue is keeping their players and they're not they're not getting McDonald's All Americans every year and they're winning at a really high level. So the idea, you can't do it in this transactional world. I love that word that work. Transactional. Can't have relations to butt anymore. It's all transactional, as if as if a scholarship wasn't a transaction. Those were transactions. Uh, but you can. You can do it and quote unquote do it the right way like Matt Painter does. You don't have to. You don't have to you know, sell out and all that stuff. It's possible. Good to talk to you, always, good to talk to you. Thanks Dan, thanksbody. That's Jay Billis Jay will be on the call.
Speaker 2: Duke in Texas on November fourth, Kansas, North Carolina. November seventh, he called the Victor wind Benielma Spurs game against the MAVs and Cooper Flay. Anthony Davis is injured again. Now that's a guy going to be a Hall of Famer, But I don't know if I want him on my team just because he shows you the glimpses and you go, oh my god, and then he doesn't play. You know, when Barkley gives you the nickname street Clothes, that's not a good thing name.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mark, Well, there's a different there's a difference between Anthony Davis and Rudy Gobert. You know, Anthony Davis can play and be a big part of a winning team. Rudy Gobert is just tall.
Speaker 2: Well he's still he's Defensive Player of the Year what four times?
Speaker 3: But who's playing defense? Well, you need to have that rim protector, Marven.
Speaker 9: They love that at the draft.
Speaker 3: You gotta he's a rim protector.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, mart In the Olympics, Rudy Gobert was on the bench in the game.
Speaker 3: You don't have to tell me.
Speaker 2: I kept saying, you can't have these center too forwards, two guards. Basketball is not that anymore. And you were recognizing guys because well, we got to have a center. Who's it going to be Rudy Gobert. I'd be like, Okay, he's not one of the top fifteen players in the league. Defensive player of the Year, Okay, Yes.
Speaker 9: Marvin DeAndre Jordan was first team All NBA one year. No knock to him, but not first team all NBA.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had to have a center, Yeah, Paul Shop. Blocking is pretty dead in the NBA. Besides when Benyama he's at four point eight. The only one over to is Miles Turner of Milwaukee. There it used to be there'd always be a bunch of guys in the threes and fours with Blocksberg.
Speaker 2: I don't know if guys are going for him anymore. I don't I don't know, and I don't know. You know, how many guys take it to the basket, But I don't know if you're you know, do I want to go for that?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: How about I wait for the rebound here? But yeah, you don't find too many guys attacking the hoop the way they once did. All right, let me take a break. More of your phone calls coming up right after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live. I'll get two more phone calls coming up, hearing from a couple people saying, can you still not pitch to show? Hey, o'tani, I'm like, at your risk. Now, he didn't look good last night because everybody was, Oh, everybody's saying the same thing. You you can't pitch to Otani. I'll leave that to you at your own risk and your pitching staff.
Speaker 3: How about we wait till the World Series is over.
Speaker 2: Okay, history is on my side of maybe you don't want to pitch to Otani. But as I said yesterday, maybe we should be getting to the point. Don't pitch to Vlad Guerrero. I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Right now if.
Speaker 2: You said you can pitch to Otani or Blad, I would pitch to Otani before I would Vlad Guerrero. He's been unbelievable. Can we play the sound of a Vlad Guerrero home run last night?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 1: You want Lottie rocks the ball like feeling deep.
Speaker 14: Back to the wall. It is good again, back to.
Speaker 1: Back class in the first three pitches, the Blue Jays plea.
Speaker 2: Do nothing. You can just hear that sound. Just hear it even through the crowd. You know, the crowd noise there and just certain sounds.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: That's why you know when Otani gave up the home run to Vlad, like he whipped his head around really quickly, and Otani, of all people should have known, oh that's gone. But you don't want to do this where you throw the pitch, hits the home run and then you just asked for the ball from the umpire like you have to give it a little of.
Speaker 3: Man, did he get all of that? Yes, he did take another ball?
Speaker 2: Please. I quoted Dion Sanders yesterday and I said to Marvin, Dion had to say this to cameras or radio people. And he was talking about that nobody has any patience in college football as far as hiring and firing, well, certainly firing. And he had a couple interesting lines here. So I said to Arvin, can you find Dion's press conference? And here's a portion of Dion.
Speaker 15: Everything is expeditious in this country. Everyone wants the quick fix to quick things. You could you got mail or the brides too. Right you get married, you know right away, you can get a BBL. You could come into here flat flat as don't know what. And Lee Thick is a snicker. So it is this is a different country that we even live in. Man, ain't nobody got no patience no more? I understand that. And uh I don't either. I don't have patients as well. I want things done right now because I'm used to getting up that working, putting in the work, and you want the results from the work you.
Speaker 2: Put in thicker than a snicker the bbl's Brazilian butt lift. Oh, thank you, yes, BBL. Yes, I had not heard thicker than a snicker there, Marvin.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: In the community, it's oh it tales all this time. Oh it is like you know, ol girl, Yeah, she's think it in a snicker. Really, yeah, they it in cold oatmeal.
Speaker 2: Wow ah, all the food groups there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you could use that if you want.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's me see Jim in Portland. Hi, Jim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 11: So five ten, slim, one sixty five. And I just every time Dan says the backroom guys, to me, it sounds like you're saying the bathroom guys. And I thought I would make a good T shirt with Todd's little issue that he has.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Jim. The back room guys, not the bathroom guys.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Cam in Florida, Good morning, Cam, what's on your mind?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 14: Jan it does. I was just want to chime in on the LSU coaching position. And I was thinking, I don't know the logistics would work on it, but I think Mike Comlin, I think it's times about over in Pittsburgh or what do you think about Mike commlins.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to go down this road with Mike Tomlin because if you recall or you google it. I spoke to somebody at USC and they told me their wish list there and I was told that Mike Tomlin was on the list. So I gave you some of the names that USC was considering. Well, lo and behold, somebody brought it up to Mike at a press conference and he wasn't pleased with me. I wasn't saying that he was interested in the job. I was saying USC was interested in him.
Speaker 8: That was it.
Speaker 3: But Mike's not coming on the show anytime soon. Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 9: If you're an NFL coach, what would attract you besides the observant amount of money to college football? Like, what would attract you to leave the NFL and a recruit and then deal with nil?
Speaker 2: No? No, nothing, No. I can't imagine Mike Tomlin having the patience to deal with that. He has a hard time dealing you know, with just questions at a press conference. It feels like but now I couldn't see him going. You know, I'm gonna get away from the grind of the NFL and I'm gonna go to LSU. But no, I would not attach any job to Mike Tomlin. None, not just because I don't want somebody. Dan Patrick said that USC, you're inesit in USC, and I never said it that way. It was USC had a wish list and his name was on the wish list. Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 7: Mean the NFL is so properly structured. There's free agency, there's caps, there's general managers who do all this stuff. You don't have to travel around places and talk to kids and parents. I mean, like Marvin said, I can't imagine the attraction unless you have to. I don't think Bill Belichick in any way wanted to be a college football coach. Not wanted to. No, that was his best option.
Speaker 2: Yes, when the Falcon said no to him, I said, he won't coach in the NFL again. Chad in Austin, I Chad, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 16: More than six eight two sixty telling about the LT job as well, and I'll bring us back to reality after that timeline suggestion, who I want as an LSU along This is Kelvin Shepherds. I know you just said, why would you go to college if you're in an NFL. He doesn't have a head coaching job yet. There's not a lot of you know, history of defensive coordinators, honestly, black defensive coordinators getting opportunities, you know, right away. And he went to LSU. He just you know, keep Frank Wilson on the staff, keep quarter Ramo on the staff, Maybe call coach O to coach the defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Coach Oh is not going back. They're not going to have him back at LSU. Too much baggage. But the guy you're talking about is with the Lions. Yeah yeah, Paulin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you're the Lions defensive coordinator, I don't know. If you're leaving, you're on a fast track to be a head coach someday.
Speaker 2: Probably, Well, considering the last two coordinators got head coaching positions.
Speaker 7: Are winning all the time, you're you have a fifty to fifty shot within the next two years you get a head coach job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough to take somebody at a program like that. Who doesn't have prior head coaching experience. He might be an up and comer, but there's nothing like being a head coach and everything that goes along with that. And understand the totality of that. When you're the defensive coordinator, all I'm dealing with are those guys and the defense, and there's no interviews. I don't have to get in front of the media. I don't have to talk to the booster. I don't have to do any of that stuff. I'm not out there recruiting. You know, these are all the things that I wondered about Belichick going to college and dealing with you know, press conference, you got to deal with boosters, You got to deal with kids, kids, parents, you know, all of this stuff, all the minutia.
Speaker 7: Yeah, PAULI, I think the only attraction of head coach in the NFL is the money. I bet a lot of guys would love to stay as coordinators, So I just coach. I don't have to deal with that side stuff.
Speaker 2: You mean, the attraction in college is the money you make. You would stay as a coordinator in the NFL. Yeah, even both, even both.
Speaker 3: Two hours in the books.
Speaker 2: One more to go Ross Tucker, Our good buddy will join us seton. Fritzie Hallie Arvin, yours truly