Speaker 1: Hello, friends, it's Duel Say Sloan corresponding for the Daily Show. We're off this week, but we thought we'd re visit one of our favorite episodes, Diners Versus waffle House, And since it's Sport twenty and some of y'all might have the munches today, we thought we'd give you our takes and who has a better quality food, if it's better to have a menu with an abundance of options or a select few items, and the pros and kinds of a place we can open twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Tune in to find out which side of the debate we each land on.
Speaker 1: Enjoy.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, welcome to hold up with Dulce Sloan and Josh Johnson. That's us, by the way, I know I was saying it like it was two other people that we were going to interview and talk to, but it's us. I don't know why I say my name like I forgot my name before I say my name. But we are here to discuss a really important topic today, something that's weighed on our hearts and our minds for basically our entire lives. And we had no idea that the other didn't feel the same way. Honestly, this is one of those things where it's best that we became good friends before we found this out about each other, or else one would have judged the other pretty harshly. We probably would have judged each other. Today's topic is diners versus waffle Houses. Yep, okay, so this is waffle Houses of the world taken on the diners of the world.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well it's the waffle houses of America.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Because I don't believe waffle House is a international company.
Speaker 3: I feel like if it is, we would have heard about it. I feel like.
Speaker 2: Yes, because waffle House only operates, Like the closest waffle house to hear is in Pennsylvania. And me and you know, my friend Ben ben Bergman shop Big Bergman. Me and Ben Bergman have contemplated renting a car to go. I think it's like a Scranton pen of vang your waffle house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the best, one of the best outings you could probably have is hitting the six Flags on the way and then going to a waffle house. That sounds like an incredible weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you have to do the waffle house after six Flags?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to lose your waffle house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to have a biological refund on all of your waffle house. I'll tell you right now, though, the thing that would make that trip better besides six Flags and then a waffle House is a six Flags and any diner along the way, because waffle house it doesn't stack up. Okay, what to an American institution of dinerism?
Speaker 2: All right, listen, listen. This is how you know you have life fucked up. Okay, I'm gonna tell you this. This is the reason you don't drink. Okay, and I think you've only had like one drink in your life, right, No, I never drank. So you've never had alcohol. No, in your American Christian life, not one sip. You didn't have a rogue ut tea you know, irresponsible uncle.
Speaker 3: I mean buncle's irresponsible, but he had drake.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So the missing ingredient of waffle house is alcohol. So for a long time, when you first start going to waffle house, usually if you didn't go as a kid, you went in college, you start going to walk was like you've been out laid with your friends. There's nothing, there's nothing else open, so you go to waffle house. It was a lot of food, it was super affordable, and you were drunk, okay, or a little tipsy. So a lot of it is like, if you are trying, if you have been out drinking mm hm, and you are trying to ensure that you do not have a biological refund mm hmm on all the alcohol that you purchased. Waffle House is a sure fire away to make sure that you do not do that. Because all the times I've been out late and been drinking and seeing people very drunk in the waffle house, it is very rare that I have seen somebody have a biological refund because all that waffle house just soaks up all the liquor. See what I'm saying. That's why you eat carbs like that after you drink. That's why when people are drunk they want French fries, they want potatoes, they want stuff like that, because it's just your body is like, bitch, I need help.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know.
Speaker 2: So they're out here, they're saving they're saving the children, that's what they're doing. They're helping people that.
Speaker 3: Would helped me and then helped me understand, right, Because in my in my experience, just from the outside looking in. Like I said, I've never drank before, so I'm not I'm not going to act like I know what you're talking about and what I'm talking about. You know what you're talking about. I know what I'm talking about. And I've just noticed that in life, when someone has to be drunk for something, it's probably not as good as they think it is.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, no, I'm not talking about I've never been to a diner and been like this food is amazing. There's a lot of times hold on, let me finish. Hold on. I remember my mom asked me to go to waffle House and it was like a Sunday morning, and I was like, are we going to get drunk first? What are we doing? And then I was able to have out waffle House without having it be three in the morning and nothing else is open or not being a little tips McGee and I had waffle House and I was like, oh, this is actually good even without the alcohol. And alcohol does give you a little like a little bit of a you know, it's like, you know, it's just a little little kiss from a rose when you when you're a little inebriated and you're in a waffle house. And also it's like the ambiance of a waffle house. Also, the waffle house has.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to interrupt, but is way too sophisticated of a word to use for a waffle house.
Speaker 2: Listen, ambiance is too sophisticated a word to use for Denny's. Like, that's what I'm talking about, because it's like, also there's diners, but it's like, is Denny's a diner or the restaurant is a diner or a restaurant, But a waffle house, nigga, it's a waffle house. So like you know what you're dealing with.
Speaker 3: So this is just just for the listener, just just to make sure we've caught everyone up to speed. It seems clear that you are on the side of waffle house. I'm on the side of diner, and we're both coming at this thing with maybe an eight out of ten. Like I don't really see our position shifting or changing, but I do plan and to help you along get understanding why waffle house is uh is not where it's at all. Right, First of all, you mentioned ambions. I'm ambiance, the ambiance of fists, the chokes the ads of someone that might be let your food burn only because they are currently engaged in a fist fight.
Speaker 2: Listen, I have never had burned food from waff House because I mean, sometimes you're hat but because I get my hash brown scattered, smothered and covered, so sometimes it'll be a little crispy on the edges that I want it to be. But like, honestly, I can't. I don't know often I've had burned food from a restaurant period.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not talking about charge to an absolute Chris. I'm saying it would have been perfect had somebody not jumped the counter.
Speaker 2: Listen, I haven't seen have I seen a fight in a waffe House? Yes? Was it with the employees. I've never seen a waffle house fight with the employees. I know what happens. We all know what.
Speaker 3: Happens, but no, we all have the same internet.
Speaker 2: Right, But I've never seen I've never seen it. Also, what we can always credit the waffle house for waffle House employees more convicted felons than anyone has ever seen. If there's a man on it, first of all, if the dude on the grill don't look like he served at least five years. I don't want to cooking shit for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, because that that comes with its own level of experience, Like now he's working with real ingredients and not prison ingredients. I understand what you're saying, but let me let me kick it to you. Why I think the diners are just far superior.
Speaker 2: Because your bougie go ahead, because I'm boogie.
Speaker 3: Okay. Look, all I'm saying is when someone tells me that they're about to give me steak, I just wanted to be steak. You know, when I get steak at a diner, I know that that's steak. Why get steak at a waffle house that's burger. That's just burger.
Speaker 2: No waffle house one has steaks too. Why are you ordering a steak at a diner or a waffle house in the first place. You have set yourself up for failure. This is this is my issue with That's on you. You wanted a high quality steak from somewhere whose menu is thick like an encyclopedia. This is my issue with diners, and this has always been my issue with diners. Waffle House it's breakfast and then like burger shit right, like I know there's a high turnover. This ship's coming out the door. Yeah, their menu is laminated. Yeah, I see the pictures. I flip it over. I see the pictures. Understand diner menu, chapter books, chapter books, Old Testament, New Testament. Do you mean to tell me that you have a turkey dinner, a lobster florentine or whatever, but also disco fries? What the fuck is happening in here? I don't know. It is the middle of July. It is the middle of July. Who who is coming in here and ordering turkey dressed in cranberry juice, I mean cranberry sauce. Who is ordering turkey with all the fixings in the middle of July. There's so many things on those menus. There's kalamari, but then there's also chicken tenders, like all of like it's it's like, oh, there's like chicken kiev, but then it's onion rings. So it's like, I know that there's stuff in here that has just been sitting in your freezer because people aren't ordering the talking me somebody who ordered a meatloaf, sandwich and a Greek salad in the same day. How long has that meatloafs been in the freezer? How long has that lobster been in the freezer? Turkey dinner? How long has that turkey been? The fuck? I have questions and concerns.
Speaker 3: First of all, how dare you slanger the name of diners by assuming that stuff is sitting there? Any good diner has the kitchen and has the freezer. That's like a Narnia. All right, there's just amazing stuff back there. But there is this amount of space. And I'll tell you right now, what you think is the beast, I think is the beauty.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So when I see that chapter book laid out in front of me, I'm like, wow, I really have options in life. I could I could try something and get something that I already like as a backup. So am I gonna get, you know, a pasta with a burger? Maybe I'm crazy like that. I can get wild like that because I could get wild like that. Because about a dinner right now, I'm not limited to the to the.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get a grilled cheese, cheese. You're gonna get a grill cheese and a chicken al fredo, You fucking child.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get a grilled cheese. I'm gonna get spaghetti. I'm gonna go ahead and.
Speaker 2: No grilled cheese.
Speaker 3: I gainst spaghetti. And you know what, you know what, just the top it all, just because I care. Because this is what options in life do for you, you know, because when you go to a diner, you're your own little Elon Musk, your own little Jeff Bezos. They're going to space. I'm out here having orange juice, chocolate milk.
Speaker 2: With a mon of crystal sandwich.
Speaker 3: About a crystal sandwich.
Speaker 2: And that's how okay, And that's how you have a biological refund is chocolate milk, orange juice, and I'm money crystal sand okay.
Speaker 3: Also this is there is another metric that I want to bring up because you you already brought up a point for waffle House that they employ a lot of X cons, they're leading employers of X cons and everything I will I will offer up to you. A lot of diners out there have some of the best cooks in the world that just are struggling right now. Right So there are some cooks at diners that should be in some of those Michelin Star restaurants. But you know what, they fell off a little bit. You know, maybe they maybe they burned the wrong person's steak. Maybe they got into it with a supervisor, and so then they regulated to only work at diners after that. Okay, I'm just saying I think the quality because you see the menu that takes skill to be able to do.
Speaker 2: All that take skill.
Speaker 3: It takes a ton of skill.
Speaker 2: Tell me something on the diner media gives me that I need to go for Okay.
Speaker 3: A Greek don a suit, I know, but it is It's a no.
Speaker 2: Do you really think that they are in the back of a diner making a stock from lobster shells and meat and then adding a cream and doing all this. It's it's still a restaurant that mass produces food you buy it from. Have you worked in a restaurant before.
Speaker 3: I have worked at a restaurant before, ye all, And I can tell you right now that the best restaurants put love, time, care, attention into every dish. And so when I go to it, if I'm but.
Speaker 2: If I'm getting a lobster bisk, that's five ninety nine. You did not put love and care into the sobster bisk. You opened a can.
Speaker 3: Don't first of all.
Speaker 2: Don't don't act like I'm not judging the matter of love. What I'm saying is there could be plenty of love, but what there was not was prep work and care and time involved. You can't there's too much stuff on the menu. This is a high volume situation because if you don't use a lobster bisk out of a can, say don't sell out that lobster bisc It's easier to throw away a can of soup that's old than to every day create this stock. Because it's the thing. There are so many things on a diner menu that if you have anything with a short shelf life, you're throwing away a lot of shit. You're throwing away a lot of inventory. You're not selling all of this. You have seven different soups. Lobster bisc isn't flying off the shelf, so why would you make that fresh every day? You can't. It makes no sense. You'd be throwing that soup out every day. So you have to have something in the back that comes in a small enough can to where this one dude that ordered lobster bisk in the past two days, he is going to get all the love and care that comes from a can opener and heating up to something up on the self.
Speaker 3: Even if you think, because we don't know, we can't verify. Even if you think that all the lobster biscu and all the diners is canned, I'll tell you right now. To be able to go from type of food to type of food that also takes skill. All Right, you're coming at me with a piping hot, delicious, veggie filled casadilla, and you're coming at me with some chicken alfredo that's just cooked to perfection. I would love I would love to see waffle holes try to pull off both of those things.
Speaker 2: Because waffle house knows they're laying. They have figured out what they are doing.
Speaker 3: They have figured out what they're doing.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm learning about as a company, not as individual not as individual stores. Because I have been an example of waffle houses. I'm just like I was giving pure chaos on a plate. H And I've been in some waifle houses. I was like, Oh, somebody wiped down the edge of this. Somebody gave me some presentation of that. You see what I'm saying. Every experience is different, but every diner is different. But every diner, to me, every diner menu feels like pure chaos. It's like there's too many there's too many things in this menu. How is all this food in your kitchen? Once you?
Speaker 3: Why would you want less good? Why are you talking about me?
Speaker 2: Because it's like that, I don't know. I'm trying to get the saying right where it's like, oh, it's like a master of none situation.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so how's that? Let me have the phrase goes it's a jack of all trades, master of none.
Speaker 2: Right, So if you were in here making egg rolls, right, m you're making egg rolls and and Thanksgiving dinner? Yeah, and pasta and casadas and dry nachos because the nachos are always dry, always always draw the number of times that I have been just given just a just the sands of time nacho. There's a thousand things on your menu. So it's like, oh, there's span of copada and chili. What the hell is going on in here? So jack of all trades? But yeah, I cannot wait. I cannot wait. So people hear you say, dip the span of copada in the chili, you are a wild man. I love you. But that was a phrase that was a wild phrase, dip the span of copa and the chili. Oh, the Lord can't bless you living like that? So sounds like a that sounds like a move from a poor child who just got money, like just just got out here. Oh man, I'll tell you this. I met a guy at a bar. We went to the waffle house because I was the only thing that was open, and we were just sitting there talking. We were at this we were I guess it was a date or hanging out or whatever. We were at this waffle house for so long. We ate twice, ate twice.
Speaker 3: You saw people change shifts.
Speaker 2: Oh, there was a shift change. There was definitely a shift change. We were in there talking for like probably like seven hours, just hanging out. Like the sun came up. I was like, well we might as well have breakfast now we're in this bitch. So it's like but that was the other great thing about a waffle house. White house is never going to kick you out unless you're acting a fool. Yeah, if they're not super busy, a waf house will let you be there as long as you want. Okay, Yeah, you could order a coffee in a waffle house as long as you're not taking up a whole booth. Wilf House will let you have that coffee and be in there until the return of our Lord. And say, for Jesus Christ, white House does not care. Okay, you're in here, You're in here. Yes, people will fight, but I've also seen bar fights, all right. We've all been in a place. People fighting a Walmart, people fighting the CDs, people fighting, doctors offices, people fight everywhere. People fight in the street train. So I don't know why waffle House is getting all of the slack.
Speaker 3: No, don't do that, don't do that. That's that's because you love waffle house too much.
Speaker 2: Because it's not like it's not a love thing.
Speaker 3: It's like you came with the loving attitude of like a mob. That's like, look, everybody fights sometimes, and Pete, there's fighting. There's fighting overseas. They're fighting hit a war right now. There they fighting bars. But I don't understand why my baby fighting means he gotta be suspended because you you came with this thing of like singing a loud waffle House. But waffle House versus regular dins has more fights per capita, all right, there are more punch thrown.
Speaker 2: Google, I want what you I want facts, statistics. You're not gonna come in here and act.
Speaker 3: Like I mean if we're if we're putting the Dinny's of the world and the eye Hops of the world. You know, I've seen listen asking if we're doing that. I'm just saying, when we talk about virality, there are more viral videos of some ass whoopings and some waffle houses than there are at the eye hops. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying that the Dennis and the eye hops and the places that.
Speaker 2: Have But you have to understand that, like eye hops close close, So when you're dealing with a business that is open during the drunk people time, you're going to have more altercations just because you're open during the drunk people time, You're open during fight time, you're open during shoot up the club time. Now because the eye hops that are open eight. If you take eye hops that close at ten or nine and a twenty four hour eye hop, I've seen plenty of altercations in a twenty four hour eye hope. And anytime I'm in a twenty four hour eye hop, it's because the line at waffle house was too long. If I'm in a Denny's, it's because listen, we all enjoy our moons over my hammy Okay, shout out to Denny's. All right, all enjoyed a love an ache, you know, an egg and cheese and ham sandwich. Delicious. But if you're if you're a twenty four hour restaurant, you're gonna deal with nonsense. You just are. You see people act a full on a twenty four hour diner. We've all seen. But yeah, let's not act like you're going to just get more riff raff because your business model is riffraff time.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I think that there's something to be said. This is also where the diners, the spectrum of diner that we're in right now, it just it outclasses waffle house because some diners do close at a late hour. Some of them close at one, some of them close at two, And that's a little period of closing. Just that little period closing saves you so much because now there's time to come back in and meal prep, the staff gets to rest. There's no one am to seven am shift. I know that I'm getting the best and brightest of that time period when that shift starts like.
Speaker 2: No, you're getting a shift. That's it. If your shift is one am, Union, your shift is one am. If your shift is from twelve to twelve, your shift is from twelve to twelve. Some of the worst service I've had is it a restaurant that's empty in the middle of the afternoon. An empty restaurant at four pm is the worst service I get every time. But this I will say, yeah, it's let's let's not act like that waffle House is not contributing to the community at large, because have you all on have you heard of the Waffa House hurricane index.
Speaker 3: I've heard of the waffle House hurricane index. You can tell it for the people, for the people that don't know. But so I'm already with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me, let me, let me give the folks the full google able definition straight from your Wikipedia page. Okay. The waffle House index is an informal metric named after the Waffa House restaurant chain to determine the effect of a storm and the likely scale of assistance required for disaster recovery. It was coined by former administrator Craig Fugate of the Federal Emergency Management Agency aka FEMA. The metric is unofficially used by FEMA to inform disaster response. So the index is based on waffle House's reputation for having good disaster preparedness, staying open during extreme weather, or reopening quickly afterwards. Now, if you get there and now this is the quote from Craig Fugate, former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency aka FEMA, if you get there and the waffle house is closed, question mark, that's really bad, is what the man is quoted as saying. Now, there are levels to this shit. Green full menu, restaurant has power and damage is limited or no or don't damage at all. Yellow, limited menu, no power or only power from a generator where food supplies may be low. Red the restaurant is closed indicates severe damage or severe flooding. Now, if you can tell me of any other restaurant, store, business, or food chain that is being used by a federal preparedness agency, I will be glad to hear it. Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: All that you have proven just now is that FEMA is in shambles.
Speaker 2: Shut all right, the hell up.
Speaker 3: Because it's the hell up.
Speaker 2: House.
Speaker 3: You know, FEMA's not doing well it's an in.
Speaker 2: Now listen in formal it Basically, it's like, okay, this is a colloquial kind of It's like, you know how like all the birds fly away before a tsunami comes. Yeah, yeah, no one's looking to birds. There was an earthquake, a tsunami is coming. But if these birds fly to coop, that's your indicator. You see what I'm saying. If you tell me waffle house is closed because the weather is so bad, I'm gonna go, oh shit, we got to get the hell up out of here. Already boarded up my windows, bat and down the hatches. Right. But if I steel on the news that the Waffa House is closed, I'm fleeing the city. I've already put my boards up, I've already done all my stuff. But if waffle house is closed, I mean, like, damn, this storm is batter than I thought it was. This is worse than this is worse than I thought it was.
Speaker 3: If anything, this is an indication that waffle houses stay too open.
Speaker 2: That's not that that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: It makes total sense. A place should open and close in a way that isn't such an indicator. It would be like it would be like saying, oh, I know, I know this. Uh, this guy right this, Uh, this gentleman who does a lot of drugs. We all usually is not is not concerned about anything in life. So then if he gets concerned, you know, it's bad. It's like yeah, but also his level of concern doesn't doesn't really piqued my interest because he's dealing with a whole bunch of other stuff over there.
Speaker 2: I understand they're saying that waffle house is a drug addict.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm not saying waffle house is a drug act I'm saying that it shouldn't take a hurricane to break through normal procedure. I think that maybe.
Speaker 2: What do you think should have what? What do you so you don't think it should be you don't think any restaurant should be open twenty four hours? Not not.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying any and every I'm just saying, for the sake of just when I go to a waffle house, for the sake of everyone there, I think it would be best if this place closed for four hours. I don't know, Like like.
Speaker 2: Now, I have been I have been to one where we walked in and like we're closed, and we went your waffle house.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So she's like, there are some out there I just don't know about.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think they just decided they were done. Like that's the other thing. It's like they just they just I think they just decided they needed a break. Because she's like, we're closed, and I was like, your waffle house and she was like, but the reason they were closed is because they had just gotten robbed. So then we had to go to the White House across the street. Now the reason, no, don't do that. So you know the twenty four hour McDonald's, you know, after a certain time, you can't go inside. Yea, it is because people were robbing twenty four hour McDonald's. So that's why you can't go inside. The reason that certain Popeyes and certain neighborhoods have the check cash and place class because that's why you know what kind of neighbor Like, if you're not sure what kind of neighborhood you're in, go into a fast food restaurant, especially like a Popeye is like a church of Chicken. A church of Chicken should already tell you what neighborhood you're in, But if you're confused, go inside said church of chicken. If there is check cash and place class, you know where you are.
Speaker 3: And just for people who don't know, the check cashing place glass is not just a type of bulletproof ish glass. It's also glass that has a little compartment in it so that you can put your money in and then turn it, and then they can put your product in and then turn it. Yeah, and that that also stops hands from having to exchange, you know, because then with with when hands exchange, it means they have easy access to you, which means they could bring in use.
Speaker 2: A weapon, right, so they can slide a gun underneath, they can grab you by your hand. But I can't tell you the food you get out of Popeyes or a church is chicken. With check cash and place glass. It's never as good as the as the experience of having to it never matches.
Speaker 3: Up it Like yeah, yeah, it feels like the robberies that took place. There were four refunds. Jevy like like the chicken.
Speaker 2: That I've had, no give me my money back.
Speaker 3: Give me my money back, And they're like, I don't want all of the money.
Speaker 2: I want my eleven sixty two, that's all. I want one of my Homeboys, was like, how can you do diners versus waffle house? Waffle House is a diner, and I was like, but you know that waffle house is waffle house. Like, let's stop playing with it, Like, let's let's call it saith.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's essentially like a calling when people are like, actually dolphins are mammals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like yeah, but like the square rectangle thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if I had the choice between a diner and a waffle house, I'm going diner.
Speaker 2: Every time I'm going White House, I'm going waffle house because it's like, I know, when I go to the White House, ninety percent of the time, I get two things.
Speaker 3: Okay, when I go to a.
Speaker 2: Diner, No, no, no, no, what's your waffle house order?
Speaker 3: What's my waffle house order? I guess I get the all star thing, the all star Yeah, yeah, the thing that is at the top of the menu.
Speaker 2: I think, okay, this is okay. So what we've established here is you are not a person who goes to wait house. How you get your hash browns?
Speaker 3: I get them flat. I don't I don't know what the.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen, Li's sen You have not been to enough waffle houses. You don't even have your hash brown order down.
Speaker 3: Houses. I get my hash browns on the way they come. I don't. I don't ask them to be extra.
Speaker 2: You don't get your hash browns customized.
Speaker 3: No, because because here's the thing, the hash browns that you get at a diner. You can just go crispy, or you can go hey, can you you know, put a little gravey on whatever the gravestation. I don't know what people do.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, but sauce and a little syrup on mine, on your hash browns, just just a mean pepper yet sauce and just a little just a little, just a whisper, just a little, you know, just petals in the wind of just a little bit of syrup, just because like the whole milk just be like sometimes it's too salty. But scattered smothered, actually I get scattered smothered covered or scattered smother covered and peppered.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you really got to cover up your hash browns like that, you didn't do them.
Speaker 2: Right, ma'am, ma'am, Like, ma'am, do you know any of these do you know what any of these words mean that I just said scattered so when you get waffle house hash browns, they'll come. They'll put them in the ring so they'll be like formed. Right, Yeah, I get mine scattered, so because for me, when they're in the little ring, they're not all crispy because they're not. So I like mine scattered, so it's crisp because it's like I get one more surface area. I'm scattered. Smothered is with grilled onions, covered, is with cheese, peppered is hiletpenions? Right? You can also get it capped, which is mushrooms.
Speaker 3: Sounds like shot what it sounds like. You can get them shot capped?
Speaker 2: Why they call them capped because it's mushrooms.
Speaker 3: Just say with mushrooms.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's a whole little cute little thing. I'm trying to remember whether one when you put add gravy to it, what's it called.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I'm just being biased, but I feel like when I go to a diner, I go to diner specifically for breakfast food, you know. So that's why I compare it to a waffle house in my mind, because the same way that I go to waffle house, I get that all star. I go to a diner and I get you know, two eggs, scramble with cheese, bacon, crispy, and I get hash browns and then some toast if they have it, and I'm easy, I'll get some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can just get that at But it's not it's not the same.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not like I don't know how I describe this in a way that that won't maybe sum it all up. The way that it's done at a waffle house, to me is is a bit too familiar, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So familiar. Yeah, so when I go to you feel like you could cook it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I when I get my order.
Speaker 2: All breakfast food, you can cook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's something you can make.
Speaker 2: No, you can cook it. No, you can make your own eggs. We are not talking about. This is not French cuisine. This is not a soup desure. Okay, this is not a fine no fine dining experience.
Speaker 3: Which all diners have.
Speaker 2: By the way, let me say something. Is there a Michelin star restaurant that's only doing breakfast?
Speaker 3: I mean nothing, I'm aware.
Speaker 2: Exactly because it's eggs. It's eggs. It's fucking eggs. Okay. If you think that you every man makes breakfast. I don't know if that's the only thing we teach y'all how to make as a society. But a man can make breakfast, you understand. So it's like I because like I love you. Done of our favorite things that've been having a hard time to find in New York. Patty sausage. I love a patty sausage. I don't know why I love a pat Wow. Okay, listen, hash Browns and wildfowls scattered okay, smothered with oven with onions, covered with cheese, chunked, grilled hickory, smoked tam diced grilled tomatoes, pepper and jalapenos, capped grill's button mushrooms, topped is with birch chili. Country is when they got the sausage gravy on top, or you could get all of them. You can also get it in a double, a triple, or a quadruple order. Now, I don't know who's out here getting quadruple orders of hash Browns. That sounds I've seen it, and you've all we've all gone that's too much. That's too much. A double order. Like it's like it's if it's been all day and I was out like it's not often I will get like a double order of hash brows.
Speaker 3: I saw a quadruple order. What time? And when that band stood up, his gun fell out of his waistband like.
Speaker 2: That, that's so funny. There was no room for the gun.
Speaker 3: There was no room for the gun anymore. So this dude, this dude got quadruple order of hash brows, ate them all and when he got up, the gun was like, it's too tight. I can't I can't be in.
Speaker 2: I just I know there's people like listening that are just like, we are so casual about talking about a gun, and it's like y'all have to remember, like I grew up in Georgia, Josh grew up in Louisiana, and we both grew up in America. So if you have an issue with what we're talking about, yeah, one, you forgot where you live. Yeah, you forgot where you live. I have no sympathy for you. You forgot where the hell you live. You need to calm down. You need to talk to your congressman. Okay, talk to your congressman. Make it so that us talking about a pistola that it's not so casual. But hey, man, sometimes your guns, like, yo, you know, I gotta honestly, that lets you know the strength and the vigor of a waffle house hash Brown. If it's pushing guns out the waistband, come on, bro, come on.
Speaker 3: To a gun fall like to a child. Floor has a very particular clatter that oh yeah, everybody got real quiet, oh because.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, that's not okay, okay, we know we anybody just got to go, oh, sorry, my bad.
Speaker 3: I just he was just like, hey, my bad. And then then he tried to put it back and it was not going easy. That gun did not walk be at his wife's bad anymore. I know, I was was gonna shoot himself. Like I was like, what's well those things where he really like hiked up his chest and everything trying to make room, and.
Speaker 2: I started just because like he can't hold it walking out. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna look crazy. Just this's just let's just rec let's just recap and just think about this, Okay. Usually when we have these conversations, we can have things to say about the one thing and things to say about the other thing. We have been talking about waffle House most of the time because it's an engaging conversation. Okay, because we know that wilf House is for the people. Okay.
Speaker 3: I understand that we've let waffle House dominate most of the conversation because it's particular episode, but I think that it's because I really wanted to give you the time and attention for your waffle House arguments, to let you sort of like put yourself on the grill and get burned, because I think that they're not coming out quite like you they are. Okay. I think that one of the reasons that waffle House has been confined to the parts of the country that it has been is specifically because other states are like, we see the problems and we don't want them. Okay, we see, we see the issue, we see the issues. Hold on, we already have diners that are better. Don't bring that. Okay. Wow, I think that's what's happening.
Speaker 2: Wow mm hmm. The disrespect, that's all hearsay I have given you that, not even hearsay. That's Josh say, Okay, we don't know why these other states don't have a wife House. You don't know we also, no, no, no, you can't say that the reason Wilfa House isn't in other states. Is because of how Wilfi House has been presented to the people. You're the proof for that. You don't know. In the words of my mama, you don't know. You don't know because you don't know. Okay. But I think that's because big Diner, Okay, big.
Speaker 3: Diner, Big diner, okay.
Speaker 2: Is keeping out the little guy.
Speaker 3: The little guy, the little the little mega corporation that FEMA uses to track how bad a storm is.
Speaker 2: You cannot use FEMA. I'm now why because you used because you were like that sorces of just closed. No, no, no, you can't use it FEMA to defend your argument when you were just shitting on FEMA for using for Waffe House being with you can't do that.
Speaker 3: Now I can do I could do both because the association is still there.
Speaker 2: That's not no, no, no, that's not right. That's not right. That's not right.
Speaker 3: Denied that the association existed. I'm just saying it means femas and shambles, but it's also tracking something that's not a little guy. It's a mega corporation. So that's me throwing out my there's more likely big waff House. There is Big Diner Okay, I think that all these many different types of diners for them to form a coalition of eggs, bacon and hash browns and Monte crystal sandwiches to keep out the whuses. Waff House has the power.
Speaker 2: And a stuffed flounder and your Thanksgiving dinner and you're Calamari and I every thing I've ever had at a diner tasted reheated?
Speaker 3: Is that here saying?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that here saying?
Speaker 2: Now I've worked in a restaurant before, and so of you.
Speaker 3: A restaurant, but I didn't know anything about one. You chapters Lengthen.
Speaker 2: There's too there's too much food. Your burgers might get in heavy rotation. Your breakfast stuff is definitely your eggs are gonna constantly be going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but leggs, by the way, not just a bunch of egg juice, right, wif.
Speaker 2: House using whitle House uses real eggs.
Speaker 3: Are we sure about that?
Speaker 2: You see the basket of eggs when they're cooking your breakfast? You see them?
Speaker 3: You see a basket of eggs. Do we see them?
Speaker 2: Use? Yes?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 2: Bro watch them. You've never seen them cook.
Speaker 3: I've seen them cook.
Speaker 2: They're right there. You're just being rude. Now you know, good and damn well they be using them eggs. You know, good and damn well they be using them eggs and eggs. Don't just sit there. You've seen them refill the basket. Okay, you've seen.
Speaker 3: Them reaching those plastic eggs. How do we know?
Speaker 2: Get off my internet, Get off my internet, Get off my internet. I will not do this with you. You can see them take the egg out the basket, crack it, put it in a bowl, mix scrambled eggs, or put it directly on the grill where some person is going to have just the raw sunnyside as ashy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, hearsake because you said that. I heard it.
Speaker 2: Wow okay, no no, no, no, no, you had your Josh say, I had my duel say so I will not be.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have to give it to the people, all right now, we have to give it to the people.
Speaker 2: It's are you team? Because this is diners and so this is diners. Mean like any restaurant ends of the word diner or are we including I hopandemics are those diners?
Speaker 3: Personally? I find them to be diners.
Speaker 2: I know it's steak and shake is a diner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think when we were talking about this, I don't I know, I wasn't considering the eye Hops or the Dennis. I was thinking waffle House versus your true true diners.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this is what we'll do, just to make it clear for the people as we wrap up. All right, Okay, when we go diners versus waffle House as well, I want you to keep in mind is that we're just talking about diners, like not not chains. So you know, you don't have to give up your Golden Corral, your Denny's, your Eye Hops or anything. We're just gonna have nd diners versus waffle House is an institution. Okay, I will say in the end, I can give you a little bit of ground that waffle House has a level of consistency that I appreciate. It also has a level of calm even in the chaos that I appreciate because when that dude's gun fell, it was like it was kind of nothing, like it was like we we all stats kind of nothing. But that's like that and a dine or someone would have run, yes, because.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the employees were the people that cared the least that a gun just hit the floor. But I can say the number of times I've seen a fight in a waffle house it has It's been less than ten. Calm down. I've never been worried like I was in a Like I saw a fight in an eye hop and I was like, Oh, we need to run. Yeah, they're fighting in an eye hop. This is this is a wild situation, right they mean it Like ever walked into somewhere and been like there's fight energy in here, Like there's just like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I walk in and I smell like just the room smell yeah, spilled hennessy, I think that there's there's definitely something that's about something either already happened or something's about to happen.
Speaker 2: Like when you smell dark liquor in a room, just like like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you smell it like off the floor, like not I'm not talking about on people's breath or like pouring drinks or I'm talking about the whole room has a hint.
Speaker 2: You're like, no, we gotta go.
Speaker 3: I just want to thank everyone for listening. I appreciate the points that you made, and I hope you can see where I'm coming from that diners are far superior and you were.
Speaker 2: Not able to prove. You did not present any evidence to prove that diners are superior. All you did was try to bad mouth the WAFA house. You didn't give me anything to do. All you said was diners have a lot of options, and I order food like a child.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna hand it over to you, the listener. All right, we appreciate you. We thank you for tuning in, thank you.
Speaker 2: For listening to hold Up. It's always great to get Josh being wrong on WAX and I'm Jill Day's son.
Speaker 3: I'm Josh Johnson. This has been hold up.
Speaker 2: Hey, make sure you vote correctly. God's watching.
Speaker 3: Listen to hold Up wherever you get your podcasts, and watch the video version at Dailyshow dot com. Backslash hold Up m