Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: It's Binberg, Brief and Menascrani alongside Danny Berger in New York with the Democrats are during on President Biden's exit from the election race, scoring more than fifty million dollars in donations just on Sunday alone since the announcement. Let's get the reactions from US law makers who are at farmboroth show. Guy Johnson is there. You're talking politics and planes. Guy, good morning, It's.
Speaker 3: The perfect combination politics and aerospace. We'll walk of you want on a Monday morning. Manas, thank you very much. Indeed, yes, sir, welcome from a BLUs three Farmborough air Show. This year's events obviously has been overshadowed by the political developments that we've seen in the United States overnight. So let's get a take now on what that ultimately means, not only for the country, but also for the aerospace industry. I'm joined by Senator Jerry Moran Public I'm from Kansas, and Senator Genie Shahey, Democrats from New Hampshire. I'm going to start with you, Senator. Understandably, obviously, the news overnights comes as a shock, but not as a shock. Is Vice President Harris the right choice? Do you think now to take on Joe Biden's mantle? Do you think others should be given a choice. I appreciate you being over here for the last few days, but you must have a view on what is happening here.
Speaker 1: Well. First of all, it's nice to be here at Farmer Airshow. Senator Maran and I are co leading a bipartisan delegation from all across the United States. We're mostly appropriators, so we fund airplanes like the ones we see in behind us. But we're also on the Armed Services Committee some of us, so it's exciting to be here to see what's happening and to promote United States innovation on politics. I haven't been in the United States for several days, but it's going to be a very interesting process. People are very excited. I think Vice President Harris has moved very quickly to build support, but the delegates to the convention will decide ultimately if she gets the nomination, so I think we'll see a lot of activity in the coming movie. Does he support her? We are waiting for the President to address the nation later this week. President Joe Biden has done an excellent job investing in America over the last four years. He deserves a tremendous amount of respect and credit for his willingness to step down and what he believes is the best interest of the country. So I'm going to wait to hear from him.
Speaker 3: Do you have a candidate in mind? I guess it's the real question, right, So you at the moment are reasonably agnostic on who you think ultimately should be his successor we'll wait for plane to take off so we can hear your answer.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I think it will be important to have someone who will carry on the man until of the president, and clearly the vice president has done that. But we're going to wait.
Speaker 3: See, so a continuousy candidate would be something that you'll be looking for.
Speaker 1: That's important.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's look at it from the other side of the aisle. We're sitting here in Europe. There is serious concern over here about what a Trump two point zero presidency would ultimately mean. We all heard what jd Vance said the other day at the RNC. There is a concern that America is going to become more isolationist. Is that your perspective?
Speaker 4: It is not my hope and it's certainly nothing that is foretold that's not going to happen if we get the right policies in place. We have for seventy five years Republican administrations, democratic administrations. America has been hugely engaged in NATO, supportive of the cause, and at a time in which Putin has invaded Russia, Russians have invaded Ukraine, it is not a time for America to back off of its commitment around the globe. My experience in being here and talking to foreign leaders is that they have significant determination, but it takes the United States to have success. And so as a team, Europeans and Americans, NATO's and our allies of a role to play in the world. And I think there's a justification for us making certain that we do the right things in a way that we share the burdens with our allies.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: But I don't expect America to walk away from the world in any administration.
Speaker 3: So you voted for Ukraine eate in the past, I did. Do you think that that aid is at risk?
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 4: But again, President Trump, when he was president, made it pretty clear that he expects our European allies, our fellow NATO members to do more, and that was absolutely the right thing to encourage and in fact to insist that they do so, and we've seen results of that. It's happening. And again, I think there's a path forward Ukraine for success, for a victory, and I think that it's important for us to continue to pursue this cause.
Speaker 1: And I think it's important to point out that that aid package, passed overwhelmingly in both the House and Senate, was strong bipartisan support. So while it took longer than any of us had hoped, it got there with a lot of strong bipartisan support.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's a democratic governments in the United States, and democratic governments in the United States will be less isolationists than a Republican ministers.
Speaker 1: Look, I expect whoever the next president is to do what's in the national security interests of the United States. Our role in the world, our role in NATO in supporting the Ukrainians in this war, the unprovoked war that Russia has instigated in Ukraine, our support for the Indo Pacific, for providing the counterbalance to China, all of that is in our interest. And whoever's president, I'm sure is going to do what's in the best interest of the United States.
Speaker 4: Let me make this point that the world is going to change. I mean, as politics is changing the United States, and you focus upon what's happening in the US, we're going to have additional challenges in the next one hundred days, in the next four years, and as the world we our adversaries are aligning against us from Iran and their proxies, Russia, the South Pacific, and China. So when you ask about whether or not the United States is going to be in isolation this country, one, the answer is no, But two, we're not going to have a choice because the challenges are going to be so great to our own nation.
Speaker 3: But the priorities that the priorities are impulsive is Asia. Is China a bigger priority than Europe? He talks about burden sharing, What does Europe need to do to share the burden adequately.
Speaker 4: So a number of my colleagues were opposed to aid for Ukraine, Republican colleagues, YEP, because they said the focus should be China. But the reality is what we demonstrate with our European allies in Ukraine determines what happens. What response. What happens to the South Pacific and China is activity. So the world watches to see if we're capable, and we need to demonstrate that. And it's not just about Ukraine. It's about American security, and it's about making certain our adversaries present and future know that when America is committed to something, they're there for the long haul.
Speaker 3: But I mean, you know he's going to address the Joint Session in a few days time, you sit them for our relations what do you want to hit.
Speaker 1: I would like to hear him talk about what he plans to do to end this war. I would like to hear him say that they're going to increase humanitarian aid to all of those Palestinians affected in Gaza. I would like to hear him say that he's going to initiate elections in Israel so that the Israeli people who have been demonstrated against his leadership understand that there's the potential for an option. I would like to hear him say that he's going to figure out how to resolve some of the challenges with Southern Lebanon so that we don't see an increased war in Southern Lebanon. So I hope he will talk about all of those issues. I would be surprised.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is quite the list said, This is Shaheen. Senator Moran, thank you both indeed for joining us here at the Farm burressa and braving the weather with me. It's great to see you both. Thank you very much. Indeed, very British weather and to be back with you. Think it's nice to see you guys Danny Berger and Neil. Let me hand things back to you.
Speaker 1: Guy, thank you very much braving the weather and a lot of jets taking off to Guy Chanson there at the farm Airshow. Important here from two Senators on the Subcommittee for Defense