Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it, We did it.
Speaker 3: We got nominated for a Sports Emmy yesterday right after the show, Paully in dramatic fashion telling us that we had been nominated for a Sports Emmy. Congratulations to all involved here, certainly the studio audience here that we have called the dan Eds, in the back room, guys, and also you at home or in your car, all your support over the years. This is the sixth time this show has been nominated for a Sports Emmy.
Speaker 2: We're oh for five right now, so we're due.
Speaker 3: Right, No, no, nobody, Yes, Paulin.
Speaker 4: I think our buddy Scott van pelt is oho for six, so he's in the same wheelhouse like the Bills.
Speaker 3: Well, Scott van Pelt, well join us coming up next hour. We can commiserate there, Seaton.
Speaker 5: There's a storyline here with this nomination now that is juicy.
Speaker 4: Hesitate to bring it out.
Speaker 5: I hesitated exactly ninety seconds. This is Marvin's first time being nominated since joining the front row. Congratulations Marvin. That's very exciting. That feels good. That would mean that it is our first time being nominated without Andrew pearl Off aka McLevin here.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know. It just felt right.
Speaker 5: So that would mean, man, if if we somehow win this time with Marvin and not Andrew, it does beg the question what was the difference between this time and the other five? Just saying that that is a storyline that some people here are kicking around.
Speaker 3: Okay, did anybody get congratulated by McLevin?
Speaker 4: Yes, Pauline, Yes, I got a text that's after the nomination was announced. Quote Emmy's back on. Are you guys going to come into the city for the ceremony? Congrats?
Speaker 3: Anybody else get a congratulations from McLevin? No, no, I only get updates on shark attacks.
Speaker 2: Todd, what about you?
Speaker 6: I got a congratulation from Chase Daniel.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I said McLevin.
Speaker 6: I did not.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was the question. Marvin, how about you? Did mcleven reach out?
Speaker 7: He did not? Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, we couldn't have gotten here to this point without McLevin and maybe with Marvin. Maybe this is this is what's going to push us over the top.
Speaker 3: You're the you're the addition, you're that magic magic elixir here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, see, if.
Speaker 5: We win this year, do we finally admit that Andrew was holding us back all those years?
Speaker 2: Fine, I'll just say it, yes, yes, I think so.
Speaker 3: All righty Wait, this was supposed to be a positive okay, fun okay, and in case Garrison enjoying this. In case you're wondering what we put on our Sports Emmy reel to get nominated. When we had Steven Wilson Junior singing in the studio, when Josh Jacobs tackled Paulie at the Super Bowl, that whole encounter when Jerry West died, we put that on the tape. And Dion joining us at the Super Bowl, the Nation League All Star manager Tory Lavello, when we had Paul's schemes on and the manager called in to tell Paul that he would be his starting pitcher in the All Star Game. So that's what we put on our tape and it's great, great being nominated. We got a sale going on right now. Everything is fifty percent off of Danpatrick dot Com. So go in and gobble things up while you can clearing out everything. New inventory coming up. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show First Hour brought to you by Rapid Race Videos. They are the official walkie talkie of the show. They work on a nationwide LTE network, no subscriptions. Business owners, stay connected with your employees anywhere one touch of a button. Rapid Radios dot Com up to sixty percent off free shipping. And once again we'll be at the NFL Draft. We hope you can join us. We'll be there for three days Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and we'll be at the bar on Home Ground Way about three blocks from lambeau Field. First Come, first serve if you'd like to be in the studio audience on any of those days. In a meet and greet on Wednesday night at the same place from four until six. The aforementioned Scott van Pelt will join us from Augusta. Tim McMahon, he covers the NBA for the mother Ship because we got surprised yesterday Michael Malone got fired. Vincent Goodwill, great reporter as well from Yahoo's Sports, will join us in about fifteen minutes from now to tell us why this happened and why it happened. With three games to go before the regular season comes to an m eight seven seven three DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock, it's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates as well. Watching last night the Lakers against Oklahoma City, it was a great first quarter.
Speaker 2: You had both.
Speaker 3: Teams scoring forty three points at the end of the first quarter, which is rare, certainly this time of the year, with OKC already wrapping up everything with home court advantage. But OKC one by sixteen, But this was a close game. With seven forty to go and the Lakers led by one, Luca got ejected and then OKC went on a twenty nine to twelve run. Now once again the Lakers were playing to win. Ok see I think decided to play to win and end up picking up that victory. Now you have the Lakers now they're playing in Dallas tonight, and this was the game so I didn't know how focused they would be in OKAC.
Speaker 2: I didn't know who was going to play an OKAC.
Speaker 3: Now you have this game where Lucas going back to Dallas, and it feels like this has been circled on the calendar of all hands on deck. We want to make sure Luca has a big night tonight.
Speaker 2: You may not be.
Speaker 3: Aware of this, but over the last five seasons, Luka Dancik has seventy three technical founds. That's most in the NBA, and he got tossed last night with a couple of technicals.
Speaker 8: Now, stead of a day, stantaa day, Statata day, Stanatata day, this is the stat of the day Stata to.
Speaker 3: Day, Ronchi buy Panini America. There are times when I watch players and I go why, Like why does everything bother you? We had Dan Hurley, the Yukon coach, and he said, I don't know why referees, you know, bother me, But you let them bother you. Then it affects you, and it affects maybe you're coaching, this affects Luca's playing. You get caught up in this Rashid Wallace used to do this all the time.
Speaker 2: He just it's almost like he needed it.
Speaker 3: Draymond Green, It's almost like that fuels him for some reason. And Luca gets involved with officials, he winds way way too much.
Speaker 2: And really a great player like that, you.
Speaker 3: Can send a message, but don't do it in a way that embarrasses an official. And you're, you know, jawing back and forth with a fan and then the official thinks you're talking to him, you're talking to the fan, and then he runs you.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, you're a franchise player.
Speaker 3: You can't be tossed in a game like this, and don't let everything bother you and you don't deserve every call. And yes, have I watched the NBA for fifty years and do I see the great players and they seem to whind the most, Yes, but I don't. I don't know if it helps you Just imagine that official is human. So when you yell at him and you say something to him, how does he compartmentalize that and go, you know, I'm gonna let him blow off steam. Really, I would think that you, if you're going to curry favor, then maybe go out of your way to not try to embarrass an official. You know, he's still young, but he's been doing this since he got into the NBA, and it's something he really has to be aware of.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: When Lebron retires, your team and you know they're watching you, you're the leader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, if we're.
Speaker 5: Going to give an official passer being human, don't we also have to do that with the player. If we're worried about how the referee the official is going to take those words because they're only human, we kind of have to do that with the player too.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, but the official doesn't know that Luke is talking to a fan. He thinks he's talking to him. His reputation put him in that position. So yeah, there's the human element, but the official has the last word. No matter what you say, how you say it, when you say it, where you say it, that official has the jurisdiction to run the game and give you a technical and toss you from the game.
Speaker 2: So, yes, you can say what you want.
Speaker 3: It's like your children can say something to you. You're the official. You decide, hey, time out, Hey ground you. So Luca's got to understand that official, whether he likes him or not. That's the parent on the floor. So you can say what you want to say. But this isn't free speech. Now there's repercussions there, and to watch that last night and he engages, but maybe it fuels him in all fairness to that personality, but that's just something he has to be aware of.
Speaker 2: You know, Draymond would do this.
Speaker 3: They get into the postseason, then he would he'd get tossed, he'd have sixteen technicals and then all of a sudden, you get the next You know, you just can't put yourself in that position there. And were they a beatn Oclac, I don't know, but we know that they didn't beat him because he wasn't in there. And now you have this game coming up tonight. You got to win these games. You know, these are so important. Back to Denver, they haven't played well since the All Star break. Reportedly there was tension between the GM and the head coach, Calvin Booth and Michael Malone.
Speaker 2: But I mean timing is everything. So you look at Denver.
Speaker 3: In Memphis, the Grizzly said goodbye to Taylor Jenkins and he had done a great job with a young group, trying to keep them together. The Nuggets are just two years removed from a title. You have Michael Malone who was there to help build them into something. And as I said, after they won the title, and then he got up there on the microphone at the parade, he was in his cups and he was saying nobody's good. You know, we're not going to let any of these guys go, and I go, yes, they are. This is what happened. Sometimes when you win, that's when your problems start. You would think that the hard part is winning a championship. It's once you win that championship, can you keep everybody? And Denver was not going to keep everybody. And I've said the last two years, we're going to look back on the malpractice that happened. That they did not surround Joker with bench players, deeper vent That's how they won the title. They had depth and they don't have that now. And Malone turned this team into a consistent winner. You know, they weren't underachievers. And we don't know the full story yet maybe we won't, but if you're going to make a decision like this now, you don't get many chances to roll the dice again. So it must have been really bad between the GM and the coach that they didn't get along that you're going to fire both of them. That's rare because usually you go, okay, we're going to part ways with the coach. The GM's going to stay. But you know, this was a fractured relationship, and hey, Michael Malone's spirited god, and he's probably thinking, this guy just came in as our GM. You lost your previous gym who went to Minnesota, and now all of a sudden, this guy and probably was like, I don't want to be told, Hey, give me a bench, help me out here. And you could see frustration. Jokers showed frustration on the bench. But three games to go in the regular season and the odds didn't change on Denver their title chances. So I don't know what that says. And you know, maybe Vegas is saying, hey, matter who's coaching, this team isn't going anywhere in the postseason. Maybe that's what they're saying. But the odds they're long. But I don't know if people looked at Denver and said, you know what, they can win this thing. It feels like that we've given credence to the Lakers winning, Golden State winning, and OKAC winning. I think we've dismissed the Rockets because we feel like they're too young, and Denver because they just aren't consistent. You have the best player in the game, but they're nowhere near what they were now Maybe maybe you're going, now, this will spark them.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Here is the owner of the Denver Nuggets, Josh Krunky on the timing of the firings.
Speaker 9: You know, outside of the decision, there was thinking around two separate things, you know, involving with the timing.
Speaker 2: Of it all.
Speaker 9: I think that you know, the awkwardness of the timing with only three games left and then the playoffs looming. But you know, it came down to two factors. One, I have a complete belief and trust and our group of players that are in there. And I have complete trust and belief in our assistant coaches and their ability to step up into different roles. And maybe if their voices are a little louder in certain areas, maybe they can squeeze some of that juice that I've been talking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, good luck with that. They're just not a you know, they're not a formidable team.
Speaker 2: Now. Can they have moments? Sure?
Speaker 3: But I'm curious, and you know, Joker has two more years and then I think there's an option. So it's around fifty five fifty seven, fifty nine million over the next three years. And then I saw there's already odds on his next team. Take a guess the odds that came out yesterday the team that you know, Joe Kich is going to end up with, Yes, paulin.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I'm joking because it's they're going to go to the one that gets clised.
Speaker 3: No, No, it would be the Lakers. That's the one that gets closed. Yes, So it's the Lakers. And then the other one is I think it's a home team back in Serbia. The odds for his next team, I believe it or not, but you know, and then I was told that he wasn't told that they were firing Michael Malone. I don't know how that's possible. Do I think that Lebron James didn't know Anthony Davis is going to be traded. I'm going to guess they ran it by him, Joker. I mean, this might be an impulsive move by ownership where they just go, you know what, I'm tired of dealing with this, We're gonna you're fired. And maybe it was that, maybe it was just building, building, building, But therefore, I don't think Joker could be surprised that it happened, maybe that it happened right now, because I don't think either and this is one of those. We don't want to have Michael Malone stay in there all of a sudden they go on a run like That's my coaches get fired sometimes during the regular season in the NFL because we win a couple of games and we got to keep him. But Michael Malone is going to get another job quickly, probably in the next week or so. He'll he'll get an opening somewhere. Somebody might bow out of the playoffs early. If the Knicks bowed out early, Could Michael Malone end up with the Knicks?
Speaker 2: I could see that happening.
Speaker 3: You know, Memphis has an opening there, and you know he's a great coach, so he'll get a job here. All right, Vincent Goodwill, great reporter for Yahoo Sports. You'll have more details on this. We'll get phone calls coming up, settle on a poll question, a lot of things to dive into the Master's par three contests. Today, we'll hear from Scott Van Pelt, who will join us from Augusta. We're back after this on the Sports Emmy nominated Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio. SOH has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of live show, just search kobeen on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: We'll settle on a poll question. Got our play of the day coming up as well. I got the NBA title odds the Thunder they're the big favorites, followed by the Celtics and it's basically a two team race according to Vegas. Then it's the Cavaliers, the Warriors, the Lakers, and then it's the Nuggets after that. Vincent Goodwill, Yahoo's Sports NBA writer, host of The Good Word podcast on Yahoo's Sports Ball Don't Live Channel Serious XMNBA host What the heck happened in Denver yesterday?
Speaker 2: Vincent?
Speaker 7: Before we began, that was the greatest song ever written that you were playing coming out there on the bump. Stevie Wonder's ass just put me in a really, really good mood. What happened yesterday? Those that the NBA is very unpredictable, Like you've seen more championship coaches fired in the short span than anybody, but this on this particularly, I guess you could say bizarre. You were hearing over the past couple of months that Michael Malone was probably not going to be there after this year bearing something miraculous happening, bearing another championship run, and then after the y'all start break, it just seemed to accelerate, like the way that the team had performed the losses they had, you know, the defense, and honestly, some of the things that he said in the postgame press conference is kind of alluded to man, maybe he lost his voice with the team to some degree, and maybe that did happen. The total house cleaning was more shocking to me than Michael Malone, and even the timing of it, because now you don't have a chief basketball executive, you don't have a head coach, and you're walking into arguably maybe the playing tournament, depending on how these next few games shake out. Like, it's a lot of questions for what we consider to be one of the model franchises in the NBA, and we don't have a lot of answers as yet. I don't know if we're going to get the answers as clear beyond what we've been saying and writing over the past.
Speaker 2: There So any chance Joker wasn't involved in this.
Speaker 7: I don't think he ordered the cold red one of those things he did the Colonel Jessup ordered the cold red and all that type of stuff. No. I think in the NBA, Dan, you know this, like I know this, Sometimes the star player is alerted and they have the opportunity to say, hey, that's not happening. I'm going to the wall for my guy or whatever. That doesn't seem like Nicola Jokic and his type of personality. He's more or less the type that it seems like to me from a distance. I don't know him well, I don't know many people who do. That's more or less like, Okay, that's what you want to do. Okay, fine, Like he's not going to step in front and obscure what an organization wants to do. And besides, he doesn't want to pick his head coach anyway. He just wants, I'm sure to be in a stable situation right now. That looks like nothing but stable. Even though from what I understand, Dan, the players do like they it out of them. They do, they do have They have reacted positively to him throughout the season since he's been there.
Speaker 3: Do you make this move because you think it's going to give your team a little bit of a bump going into the I just I don't know how that works where you go, hey, look what we did.
Speaker 2: Now go out and try to win.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I there's a reason this is unprecedented because it doesn't work. Like there's a reason why. You know, the Miami Heat and you know some of the other model franchises they ride these waters out. But some coaches have different personalities too, and some coaches almost like from a certain tree of coaches, almost they run very, very hot. And Michael Malone ran very hot. And one of the concerns that I knew from the front office and from people in the note was that, hey, is he holding the top guys accountable? Is he playing those top guys too many minutes? Almost tipsy in right, like Jamal Murray who has acl playing the career high minutes, Nicola Jokic career high minutes. The numbers look great, but you run the risk Dan of that team wearing down throughout the course of a playoff run. Remember they wore down in the last two games of that playoff run against the Minnesota Timwolves. They had nothing left. Jamal Murray his legs were wiped out. Nikola Jokic looked wiped out. And if you're responding by playing those guys career high minutes. Ain't no joke. That's going to happen when you change the coach or when the coach is still there. It's almost like this is going to be another tired run. If there is some type of run, it's but it's really really bizarre that it happened with three games left in the season, not bizarre that they fired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the problem I had with this team they win the title. I wanted to know they were going to lose bench players. I just don't think they restocked. And I called it malpractice because I said, this team won't win another title with Joker. You have the best player in the game, and I just don't think that you gave him. You know, that's why they're playing these minutes. Because maybe Michael Malone didn't have confidence in that bench, And that leads us to this. Joker had a wonderful year. Murray is hurt. You're limping literally into the postseason. You don't have a coach, and you don't have a GM other than that, how was your season, Nuggets.
Speaker 7: Other than how's the play? Missus? Lincoln? Like, that's what this sounds like. But I understand this from this standpoint. They signed Michael Porter Junior, the third star to a max contract under the old paradigm, under the old CBA, where you didn't have punitive luxury tax penalties and fewer mechanisms that you could actually improve your team. Most teams don't have three max salary guys, including a big time max salary guy in Yokish. No matter how good you are, it is really hard in the financial reality of today's NBA to have three max guys and to build a team around have to hit on all of your draft picks. You have to have value signings, and he's done that. Actually, like Christian Brown is one of those guys who's the most improved player candidate like Calvin Booth actually actually restocked to some degree with value young players. Michael Malone didn't trust them, and subsequently, because you didn't trust them, you play your veterans more and you don't have any other resources.
Speaker 2: Luca last night getting tossed.
Speaker 3: Last five years, he leads the NBA in technicals with seventy three. I mean, you're not Draymond Green, You're not Rashid Wallace.
Speaker 2: Why does he.
Speaker 7: Why is he not Raceived Wallace? Why is he not Draymond.
Speaker 3: Hungreen well, because for sure he's one of the best players in the game. He shouldn't be Draymond Green and shouldn't be Rashid Wallace.
Speaker 2: Why is he?
Speaker 7: I mean, look, he's a child prodigy. Like I read his book, not Shame with pluck with my man Tim McMahon, the wonder Boy, but everything with him out to me like a child prodigy. And those child prodigies they act out a lot. They act out at people around them, They act out at fans. Luka Doncich is a is a chirper. He has ways that he goes about it. I don't think people love it and like it. Oh no, That's one of the reasons that the Dolls not because they had a litany of reasons why they traded him. I don't know if I would have done it. They had a litany of reasons, and that was one of them. Getting distracted and you don't remember the places. In the NBA Finals, he picked up his fifth file in the fourth quarter of Game three, and a play he shouldn't have. He ordered the team to challenge it. It was a bad play. It was a bad challenge, and then a few minutes later he files out like it's these impulses in the moment. Now. Granted, Dan, he was talking to a fan in that moment, but he had already drawn one technical file with that same official, thus eliminating benefit of the doubt. I feel like that's the theme in the NBA for the past couple of weeks with Jahn Morant and now Luka Doncic. Some people don't have benefit of the doubt when you're when you've eliminated a lack of a good raise goodwill.
Speaker 3: Uh, Speaking of which, Vincent Goodwill Young who's sports NBA writer, Jo's got a new celebration. Now he tosses the grenade.
Speaker 7: Hey, look, man, look if he wants to go full rebel, Look he's clearly going full rebel, full villain. And I find it hilarious Dan that the NBA they didn't suspend him, they didn't find him immediately, They told him, Hey, man, just don't do it again. And you want to know why they did that, Dan, Because they don't want to hurt him. They need him as a young face of the future. They just wanted him to stay on the floor a little bit longer, to get people used to seeing him again without associating him with the nonsense, and what was the first thing that he does. Twelve hours after receiving a warning, he goes out and Besidol National TV. You're daring the league. You're daring Adam Silver, the most player progressive commission in the history of professional American sports. You're spinning on him. Okay, fine, go ahead, find you seventy five thousand dollars. And people are still pissed off about that they didn't suspend him, Like, we have to be honest about this stuff. If he's gonna go full villain, go full villain, but then don't complain and say that everybody's against you. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: As long as he's not driving with one of his buddies and he's actually got a live grenade, then I'm okay with this. But you're right now, all of a sudden, everybody's against Jaw. He doesn't realize he created all of this. I don't think people he was a great feel good story, came out of nowhere, and all of a sudden you watch him and you go, damn, this is I mean, he should be one of those guys that we talk about with all of the greades of the game, and we don't, and I hope that there's somebody who can. They don't have that veteran leadership there. You just fired your coach. I don't know what role he played in that, but you know, you see these guys that they're in the embryonic stages of greatness, Zion, and I just don't know. You got a lot of money, you're not. You don't need to work for it anymore. And I just wonder if you know that's to the detriment of a lot of these younger players getting fifty million dollars by the time you're twenty five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a lot, it's a lot of pressure, it's a lot of expectation. I will say this for Job, I don't think from my reporting for my gathering, he had anything to do with the firing of Taylor Jenkins. Like so I won't put any I won't put that on him, just like I won't put Michael Malone on the Kola Jokics. I will say this man for the NBA, they want their next generation of young players and man Zion Victor Jock to take the mantle from the old guys. This is the league that depends heavier on stars. So you're going to give star treatment to stars. The model is there that is going to play for twenty years. Lebron's going to play for twenty years, Kevin Durry's going to play for twenty years. They got all the money, all the fame. All they have to do is just hey, don't play with guns on Instagram, don't use laser pointers against the Indiana Pacers traveling party and a loading dock. Don't do dumb stuff. It's not that difficult. Nobody's asking you to be a model citizen. They're just saying, hey, go play basketball. Be entertaining, be electrifying. Just don't make it hard for yourself. Don't be job versus job. This ain't a job versus the NBA. Then you want them to succeed. To succeed, Oh man.
Speaker 3: What kind of reception will the Mavericks give Luca tonight? What kind of reception should they give him?
Speaker 7: What type of reception will the Mavericks fans give the Mavericks tonight. This is going to be a role game, and now that's what y'alls this is gonna be. It's gonna be a lot of Laker purple and gold in this building. I think he's going to, of course get the standing ovations. I'm sure there's going to be a tribute video, you know, given to them by the franchise. And he made five NBA First teams in his first six years, carried them to the NBA Finals in the Western Conference Finals. I think his relationship with the city of Dallas is solid. His relationship with the Dallas Matt Bicks is a different thing. So I am far more curious how the fans are going to react to the home team looking at the other side and seeing Anthony Davis and not seeing Kyrie Irving. Like, I think it's going to be an electric, sometimes angry atmosphere because they're going to be treated to all the things they missed Dan. Have you ever ran into an ex girlfriend and she looks finer than when she was with you? Have you ever seen that before?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The revenge body, Yeah.
Speaker 7: The revenge body. You know, Hey, sometimes guys have revenge bodies. I mean, maybe not Luca, but you know some people have revenge bodies.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna leave you with this.
Speaker 3: Are we giving the Oklahoma City Thunder enough credit for one of the greatest regular seasons?
Speaker 2: Of all time.
Speaker 3: They have They have fifty one games where they won by at least ten points. At least ten that's the all time record. Previous record was the nineteen seventy one seventy two Lakers who won thirty three in a row, Golden State in twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, Milwaukee Bucks with Kareem and Oscar seventy seventy one, the Bulls with Mike in ninety five and ninety six. Are we giving ok? I know we're waiting for Well, let's see what happens to the postseason. That's it, right, Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean, for one, double digit wins is a proxy of the three point shot in the importance of it. Like when you talk about Kareems teams and the Lakers teams of the early seventies, they were doing that without the three point shots. So there's a little more I guess you'd say equity that you can put into that being translatable to the playoffs. But we're trying to see if this franchise, that this team can finally get over to hump And if you look at how they play against the Lakers the last their last two games, you could say, man, we got We got some doubts here, like what does this team look like without shape Gilders Alexander performing like the MVP. Do you have a second guy that can take advantage of his matchup and create his own shot and make his own shot. I don't know if they're going to run through the Western Conference playoffs like they ran through the regular season. I wouldn't say I'd be surprised that they get to the finals, but I think there's a lot more competition in this blood bath of a Western Conference to get to the finals that I'll be impressed if they do so, more impressed than the winning by you know, double digits and the highest net rating in NBA history and all that other type of stuff, Like they have to prove proved right now, and the thing is then nobody's afraid of them.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you have fun tonight in Dallas.
Speaker 7: More Stevie Wonderdan.
Speaker 3: Okay can't go wrong. That to mention goodwill y'all, who's sports NBA rider. He'll be at the game with the Lakers tonight, and then he's got Nicks and the Pistons tomorrow, and then likely wherever the Lakers and Warriors are for round one of the postseason. Always great to talk to him. All right, we'll take a break, got to settle on our poll question. We've got to play the day coming up. Your phone calls as well. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 8: Oh my God, play the Day.
Speaker 6: My God.
Speaker 2: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Celtics will not call time out here down by three nine seconds ago.
Speaker 2: Tatum into the front door. Tatum, Steph's back away from Ananobi.
Speaker 7: Three in the air.
Speaker 11: Jason Tatum ties the game with.
Speaker 1: Two point nine ago.
Speaker 3: The Celtics went nineteen for forty nine from three point range. They already set the NBA record for most three pointers made, most three pointers attempted in a season. They've also won nine consecutive road games. They're the best team on the road. At thirty three and seven, that's your play of the day. The DP Show is headed to Green Bay Broadcasting Live. It's Drafts at the Draft with our friends at Miller Like for fifty years, Miller Lite the top pick for Beer Lover since nineteen seventy five, the original light Beer Update the poll results, Seaton, what did you go with with the first hour of this program?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got up there right now.
Speaker 5: League with the least job security Major League Baseball, NBA or NFL.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have some data on this, you do, yes? I do? You have a definitive answer? Yes?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 2: What yes? So I'm not guessing. I have data.
Speaker 3: I have research since two thousand, this league has the lowest average coaching tenure.
Speaker 2: Paul, start with you.
Speaker 4: I would guess the NHL seems like they bounce pretty quick.
Speaker 3: NHL Todd, what about you? MLB, Marvin, NFL seatan MLB it's NBA two point nine years. NHL is second just over three years, NFL three point two. Baseball has the best job security at three point seven years.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not. The day, best oat of the day stat of the day here comes that what stat of the day.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Panini America. Although I think we're seeing a little bit of a shift with the NFL, feels like these GMS owners have a little bit more of an itchy trigger finger to fire your coaches usually after three years.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tom, it's interesting.
Speaker 6: We can wink at that in the sports world, but in most lines of work, three and a half years to consider that, Wow, you've got a lot of jobs.
Speaker 2: Three and a half years, you got to be there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a stereotype. I'm not putting this out there that major League baseball managers.
Speaker 2: What do they do?
Speaker 4: What do they You've heard that before over the years, but they have the longest tenure.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess they look at a lot of data and then they fill out their lineup card and then they maybe gets up to chew on uh, do some scratching, put on a uniform, go out to the mound.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yes, some people say that about the NBA, or you're watching a college coach they just screaming play defense, box up, like obviously, yeah.
Speaker 3: But they're involved in every play baseball manager, I don't know if they're how involved they are, like come on, come on here, base it, come on now, or you might yell at the umpire, But I I don't know. Football and I could see that you're involved in that. On the headset, you got a lot of things going on, but baseball baseball feels like it's you know, they got one hundred and sixty two of these.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna leave him in. I don't think i'll go.
Speaker 3: You know, I need some I need to get my steps in today. I'm going to walk out to the mound. Hey, what do you what are you doing? I got a one hit?
Speaker 2: Shut up? Yeah, I just came out. Man.
Speaker 3: I try to sit in that bench, you know, on the dugout.
Speaker 2: I mean it's boring. Yeah, okay, skip, yes, ton.
Speaker 12: Oh, you got to bring the infield in.
Speaker 1: You gotta ship.
Speaker 2: There's all kinds of things. This guy's start warming up writing, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's ever gonna change where baseball managers don't wear full uniforms because they never play in the games.
Speaker 3: There are certain managers who shouldn't wear uniforms down through history.
Speaker 4: I saw a new thing that some managers don't wear at the top, the jersey top. They wear just like a hoodie or something.
Speaker 2: I think that was.
Speaker 3: Terry Francona who started that, okay with the Red Sox, and they wanted to know if he had his uniform underneath the hood and he didn't. And I think they told him that you can wear that, but you have to have your jersey underneath.
Speaker 12: Yes, Martin, the manager shouldn't have numbers like Joe tory Ward number six. I was like, man, that's a prime number that the manager has, or like Billy Martin had number one when he was a manager. Like, man, he's taking a really good number, not like seventy eight or forty four.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 13: I feel like the manager should be number one. I'm the guy. I'm the manager. I'm number one. Well, Billy Martin thought he was. He was he thought he was Rob or Bob in New York. It's Bob in New York. Hi, Bob.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 11: I had an idea, could you have one of your award nominated crew check to see if Denver can actually drop all the way out of the play in with enough losses? Could that firing actually be also a badly thought out tank job idea by the ownership.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're tanking. And what are you tanking? Four?
Speaker 3: You're not going to get Cooper Flag. I mean, you know, maybe you get Jace Richardson or something. I don't know, but no, I don't.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I do think that there's the odds of them not making the playoffs are a little more interesting than you would think, yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Denver Nuggets have forty seven wins. There are four teams with forty seven wins in the West. A team with forty six wins, they could go from right now being the five seed to a playing game by losing two games in a row.
Speaker 3: Okay, if they if they lose their last three games. I thought that there was like thirteen to one odds that they don't make the playoff. There was there was a I.
Speaker 4: Think if you count the playing game as not the playoffs. Yeah, if they lost the rest of their games, they could end up in a nine to ten playoff game and have a one game season.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 3: Connor in Chicago, Good morning, Connor, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 14: But nine a hard one eighty new member of the DDC club starting in January. So cancer sucks. Go to the doctor, guys. Second thing, probably pay a play at the golf course, dudes, Brian Harmon, My good lord. People please pick it up, dude, get to the ball, swing away. It's not that complicated. You hit so many balls throughout the day. Probably the best thing I think in is like fifteen second shot clock or something. They approach it and stuff like that or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. All right, thank you, Connor. Yeah, you gotta speed it up a little bit.
Speaker 7: They just do.
Speaker 3: There's certain golfers and if you've ever played with somebody who's deliberate, even if you're playing the weekend and you got the guy who lines up his pott all different angles, you know the I played with a guy who got down on his hands and knees and I went, no, we're not, We're not doing this and he was digging into the green when he was doing it with his shoes and it's like, Mike, Mike, no, come on, it's my routine. It's my routine to tell you Mike no. Yes, Paulie, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Brian Harmon has the reputation as a slow player. The other day he was in a NBC was covering him. He was in a bunker and he was just standing there for two straight minutes waiting for the wind to come from a bunker.
Speaker 2: Stet Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it was in San Antonio where it gets windy and he ended up winning too.
Speaker 2: He won the British Open a couple of years ago. He sent me a golf ball.
Speaker 3: I think he's the Is he the first PGA tour player to have two hole in ones on the same day, and he sent me one of the golf balls that I have autographed there, so I thought, hey, why don't you send me one of those things. Scott van Pelt will join is from Augusta coming up, and more on the Lakers heading into Dallas.
Speaker 2: Hour two coming up.