Speaker 1: This is the OTP presented by Far Bureau Health Plans. Far Bureau Health Plans Where you are the plan Far Bureau Health Plans makes it easy to get the health coverage you need for less than you think. See how at FBHP dot com. I'm Mike Keith, glad to have you with us. It is game week. Hard to believe that it is finally kickoff week in the NFL. The Titans set to take on the New Orleans Saints at Caesar's Superdome. Coming up this Sunday. Will remind you that the game kicks off noon Central Time. We're on the air on our many great Titans radio stations throughout the region, beginning with Titans Countdown at eleven am Central this Sunday, September tenth, Titans at Saints to open the season. We're gonna learn more about the New Orleans Saints moment. Har Ellie Jeff Duncan with the Times Picky Unit will join me in just a moment. But before we do that, I want to remind you about our great friends at Seat Geek. Seat Geek is now the official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. Seat Geek is the newest member of the Titans family. And if you haven't heard the name yet, get used to it, because you'll be hearing it a lot more this season. Whether you're buying or selling tickets to the Titans game or to any live event in Nashville. Seat Geek is the place to do it. Seat Geek the new official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. So Titans fans can fan as promised. Jeff Duncan, columnist for The Times Picky Unit in New Orleans, thank you so much for joining me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, great to be here. Thanks for having me on Bud.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's talk before we get into this week's game with the Saints. People may remember that you were here actually before the Titans, right, weren't you here with the Tennessee Oilers.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah. I've covered that transition to Nashville, back when they played in Vanderbilt and the early nascent phase of the Oilers Titans franchise in Nashville, and it's incredible when I go back now, Mike and see the change in the city, how the organization has grown. I really think it's just the whole atmosphere and culture around the organization I think have changed from those early days, and it's really exciting to see Titans fans ought to be excited about the future.
Speaker 1: What were you specifically doing while you covered that transition? How did that work from a professional standpoint?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was working down in Florida and my old boss, Tom Squire's had moved to Nashville and was working for Ray Maddox in I guess it was called Sports Nashville at the time. It was a weekly publication and they had the Titans exclusive kind of the team publication at the time, and he needed someone to cover the NFL, and I'd covered the NFL before and really was excited about moving to Nashville. I my hometown is Louisville, Kentucky, so I had family. I was gonna be closer to the family, and I've always loved Nashville. So it was really a great exciting opportunity to see that the franchise kind of, you know, the NFL's birth in the state of Tennessee. That was very exciting to cover. And so it was basically my first full time job in the NFL and learned so much from Floyd Reese and Jeff Fisher. When they were there, they were so like understanding of someone kind of learning the ropes in the NFL. So it was a really exciting time for me.
Speaker 1: Jeff ended up going straight to New Orleans or was there a stop in between?
Speaker 2: No, I went I went to New Orleans to cover Well, actually, I guess you'd say, Mike. I went to Baton Rouge I was working for I was working for The Times, Picky Youn, but covering LSU and and Nashville. People remember this. Jerry DeNardo was the head coach at LSU then and it was his final year covering LSU, and I covered LSU Tigers for one year and then moved to New Orleans. Stage at the time spicking, but moved to New Orleans to cover the Saints, and my first year covering the Saints as a beat writer, they won their first ever playoff game in franchise history. They were ten and six, kind of surprised the league. And it's been kind of the main, my main focus of coverage since then, even though I'm now a columnist, which means I get to throw my opinion around as opposed to just being a beat writer.
Speaker 1: But you stepped out of sports for a while, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, after after Hurricane Katrina, we all kind of became news reporters. I covered the storm here back in two thousand and five, you know, rode the storm out in our newsroom, and then the aftermath. It was just such a you know, drastic story. I mean, it was the biggest story I'll ever cover in my life, and really the aftermath of it probably went on for about a year working in the news department. It was just, you know, such an extensive story. It affected every part of your life down here. And so to see the city come back and rebound and the Saints moved back and the Superdome get rebuilt. I'll never cover anything of that magnitude in my career, at least I hope. I know.
Speaker 1: How has that experience changed how you cover football?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. It really has changed. It's given perspective. I can still remember Mike being in the Superdome. It was a Friday night, the Saints were playing the Baltimore Raven. I was the beat writer at the time. The Friday night before Hurricane Katrina. The storm was out in the Gulf and no one was really paying that much attention to it. We thought it was going to jog up toward Florida, and literally twenty four hours later the whole city was being evacuated. But back then my main concern was just who's going to make the fifty three man roster for the Saints. Sure, and twenty four hours, forty eight hours later, your entire life is turned upside down. The whole eighty percent of the city was underwater. We had no power, we had no plumbing, I mean, just the basic necessities of human life in our society was all gone. Can communicate, no cell service. When you go through something like that, it puts sports in perspective and really realized it's a small part of our lives. It's an important part, obviously, and we all get entertainment out of it, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important. It really does kind of set your perspective on life.
Speaker 1: I guess that's a hard turn now to talk about the game this Sunday, but we have to do it. I was just fascinated to know about your experience doing that, and now your experience as a columnist is something quite different. And the twenty twenty three Saints are an interesting team in that like the Titans, they were seven and ten a year ago and they had one of the biggest acquisitions of free agency in Derek Carr. Why was Derek Carr the right answer for the twenty twenty three New Orleans Saints at quarterback.
Speaker 2: Well, there's familiarity there, right for both sides. First of all, Dennis Allen was the head coach with the Raiders when they drafted Derek Carr, so he knows the player and what he's getting and Derek Carr very well. And then Derek Carr. I think it was a great fit here because this offensive scheme, the Pete Carmichael runs offensive coordinator was all the Sean Payton system of course here he was here for sixteen years and Sean Payton learned that from John Gruden. So it's exact, really the exact same offense that Carr ran, a very similar offense to what he ran with the Raiders. So it was really a perfect fit and you can see it. I mean, it's been a very seamless transition for Derek Carr. I think he's jumped right into the bridle here, taken over and really I think brought a lot of enthusiasm and confidence to the locker room because they see how he's operating this offense. And as you know, Mike, I mean, this is a quarterback driven league for a large to a large extent, and you've got to have a good one. And Derek Carr, certainly with four Pro Bowls, has and upgraded that key position for the Saints. He's the best quarterback they've had here since obviously Drew Brees left a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Specifically, how does Derek Carr change or improve the Peak Carmichael offense.
Speaker 2: Well, what he does that is and it's what Drew Brees was excelled at. Is he's great at getting to the line of scrimmage. Leaning on that experience of ten years in the league, he's seen everything. He knows how to read defensive coverages, defensive formations, and the Saints system is so sophisticated they allow the quarterback if they're willing to make changes at the line of scrimmage. So you'll see Derek Carr doing a lot of what Drew Brees did getting the Saints in going to the line of scrimmage with a couple options, seeing how the defensive lines and he's going to be making a lot of checks at the line to get them in the right play, and that's something they didn't have the last couple of seasons, and it really limited their offense. And that's unusual, Mike. I mean, the Saints for years under Breeze and Peyton were top five offense. I mean, really, I wrote a book on that offense. I'm still maybe I'm biased, but I think it's the greatest offense in the league history. I mean, they were in the top five for fifteen years. That's almost impossible to do. And they're been down in the low twenties the last couple of years, really foreign territory for them. And they think Carr can get them back into that top ten because he's so good at reading defenses and getting them in it out of right play.
Speaker 1: All right, Jeff Duncan, who does Derek Carr look to throw to coming up this Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, they've got some emerging guys. I mean the big name, of course, is Mike Thomas, who's back at wide receiver this year. He's really missed most of the last three years, Mike. I think he's played ten games in three years with assortment of injuries. But he's not going to be the Mike Thomas that was the offensive player of the Year in twenty nineteen. You know, he's thirty years old now and he's going to be more of a I think a third option in this In this offense, the main guy is going to be Chris Olave, who had an outstanding rookie season a year ago, is very smooth receiver out of Ohio State. And then the guy that I think people need to watch is Juwan Johnson, the young height end. He came into the league as a as a receiver. He's converted to tight end and really made a great transition to that position. And both those guys Alave and Juwan Johnson have really shown early on a strong connection with Derek Carr. I think he trusts them a lot and they're going to be his go to receivers this year.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued in looking at the roster. I think like a lot of people didn't realize Jameis Winston was back. What is his role as the backup quarterback? And why do you think he decided to come back or they decided that they wanted him back.
Speaker 2: Well, they love having Jamis in the building. I mean he's a great team player, and he gives them a veteran quarterback with experience behind Derek Carr. Fortunately, Derek Carr has been very durable in his career. I think he's missed four games at nine seasons. So hopefully they don't have to go to the backup. But if you do, and we've seen that in the past. I mean the Saints have had to play three quarterbacks each of the last two seasons, so it happens there are injuries. And having a guy with skins on the wall the way Jamis Winston does, and the fact that he's been in this system now for four years, he knows it like the back of his hand. That's really reassuring. I think for Pete Carmichael and Dennis Allen to have a guy with that experience. He's not played that well the last couple of years, but he's had injuries Mike and those you know, you hurt your back like he did last year, everything comes off your spine right, and it really limited him I think a year ago, and he's healthy. He's looked a lot better this year.
Speaker 1: Alvid Kamara's suspension Jeff two part question, how does the Saints' offense change without Kamara and who's going to run the football for the Saints on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't have an Alvin Kamara. When he's going to be out these first three weeks, it's going to change how they approach their offense. Jamal Williams was signed in free agency to carry the load and be carry the load while Kamara's suspended, and then to be the main backup. Jamal Williams led the NFL in rushing touchdowns a year ago with seventeen. He's a proven commodity from his years in Green Bay and Detroit, but he's not Alvin Kamara. He doesn't have the elusiveness, the dynamic past catching ability out of the backfield. But they will have to adjust the offense without him, they won't be the same. I don't think they'll lean on the running game as much as they do when Dalvin Kamara is available. So it's a definite disadvantage for them without Alvin Kamara that they don't have a playmaker like him. Their other running back will be Kendre Miller, a third round pick out of TCU who has a lot of potential. You know a lot of people wanted the Saints to take ty J. Spears. I'm sure you're seeing up there his dynamic ability out of the backfield. Kendre Miller is a little bigger version of Taij. Spears, but he's a guy that I think down the road will get more carries, but early on it's going to be Jamal Williams.
Speaker 1: Another surprise I think in looking at the twenty twenty two Saints was how good they were on defense. Dennis Allen's a defensive guy, Joe Wood's an excellent coordinator. What does a Dennis Allen Joe Woods defense look like.
Speaker 2: It's very much like what they ran here under Greg Williams for a number of years. They're very base and that they're not real exotic. They get after you physically upfront with their front seven. One of the characteristics of Dennis Allen's defense is their defensive lines, very physical, very big prototype players. And what I mean by that, Mike, is their defensive ends, Cam Jordan, Carl Granderson, Peyton Turner. These guys are like trees in there. They're six to five across the front line. Brian Brazi, their first round draft pick from Clemson, is a six to five defensive tackle. You just don't see interior linemen that tall for the most part, so they like to play basic. They don't like to blitz very much. They get after you with that front four on the defensive line, and they have tremendous sticky Manda Man coverage on the outside. They're very physical, and now there's a downside to that. They get a lot of holding pass interference calls in the secondary, but they'll live with that. That's the cost of doing business. The way they play, they feel like it's kind of like the old Rick Patino basketball philosophy. They're going to hand check you all game and hope the officials don't call everything. That's the way the Saints play defense. They get after you and they put it on the officials that have to make those judgment calls. Makes it very difficult for your passing attack to get much timing because they really try to throw you off your routes and re route you in their pass coverage. And those guys on the secondary are six ' one six ' two big. They're big across the board on defense. They don't like little guys on this defense, and you'll see it when they come on the field. They look the part.
Speaker 1: Jordan eight Pro Bowls, one of the best defensive linemen of the era. Why has he been so special, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Well, he's just an incredible story. I mean, the guy never misses not only a game, he hardly misses a snap. Mike. I've never seen a guy as durable as he is. I think he's missed one game because of injury in his career. That's an extraordinary It came into the league in twenty eleven. And the thing that makes him unique is, you know, he's not your typical Like I mentioned earlier, He's a big guy, big physical guy. He's not your typical. He's not gonna win with speed, blind blinding speed off the edge, you know, like like a lot of these defensive ends that get to the quarterback. He's all physical, strong hands, plays the run extremely well, always has his eyes on the quarterback so he doesn't get fooled a lot. You don't see him get out of position on a jet sweep or a screen pass. He diagnoses all that. He's so small and he just never misses a play. I've never seen a guy he just plays every down, every game. He's always there, and you know, for coaches to have that kind of reliability and durability after all this time pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: More with Jeff Duncan of The Times Picky You in New Orleans momentarily but right now a word from our friends at Duncan. It's always game on with Duncan, so grab a coffee and kick off the action. Whether that's drinking a cup of coffee on your way to the game or grabbing one to go before watching the game at home, Duncan is always there to help you get your game on. Just like the pros, we need to be at our best come game time, which is why Duncan is the most important part of your game day ritual because it's always the best call for football America runs on Duncan. Continue with Jeff Duncan, columnists with The Times Picky Union, New Orleans. As we begin to wrap this thing up, looking at injuries to begin this week, Week one of the NFL season. Who are the Saints concerned about injury wise as we enter this week?
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be almost one hundred percent healthy. The two main names that most people will know Marshawn Lattimore, their shutdown corner easily their best corners had a great camp. He tweaked his knee out in Los Angeles as they worked against the Chargers. Hasn't practiced since, but Dennis Allen has said he expects them to be one hundred percent per Week one, so I expect to see him. And then Taysom Hill, the gadget utility player that's so critical in their offense. He had an oblique strain a few weeks ago and has not practiced since then, but he also is expected to be okay for Week one. Those are really the only names of note injury wise. I expect those guys to be on the field.
Speaker 1: Jeff, who are the rookies that the Saints will be counting on even as early as this Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a couple of surprising guys on the roster. Mic that both their place kicker and their punter are undrafted free agents. I mean the punter is a guy named Lou Headley, who's got to be one of the most interesting stories in the NFL. He's a thirty year old rookie from Australia, owned a tattoo parlor, was a scaffolder in Australia and then decided he was going to give it a go and try and make it as a punter. He was a rugby player in Australia and he beat out Blake gillickin the incumbent punter, so he's gonna be punting for this team. And then their kicker, Blake Rupie, beat out Will Lutz. The Saints traded Will Lutz, the veteran former pro bowler, to the Denver Broncos, and they're going with two young guys as specialists. So those guys will be ones to watch. I mean, they've never done it in the NFL, but they've had great camps. And then the other guy that I think will be prominent will be Brian Brazie I mentioned earlier, the defensive tackle, first round draft pick out of Clemson. He's gonna I don't know if he'll start, but he'll be in there on passing downs, a really good interior pass rusher at the defensive tackle spot.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to lou Headley for just a second, and the story is crazy, by the way, but I want to ask something more specific. Is he an Australian style punter in terms of that side winding or does he do more of the American style punting.
Speaker 2: Now, No, he's definitely Australian style, So he has a bunch of tools in his tool bag, right. I mean he's going to kick, side, backspin, all of that, and that's something that was very intriguing to Darren Rizzy, the special teams coach. He talked about it this week when we talked with him. They're excited about what he can do. Placing the ball using backspins, not traditional at all the way Blake Gillikin was here. So that's something new and we've seen it already in the preseason two different muffed punt returns by opponents on Headley's punt. So it's something that the Titans, I'm sure are very aware of and they'll have to focus in on because that ball is going to be coming in all sorts of crazy angles.
Speaker 1: Jeff, to wrap up, as the Saints look at the Titans, what do you think their biggest concerns are about Tennessee entering this game on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it has to start with that physical running game with Derrick Henry and now Tyse Spears the preseason he's had. We're very familiar with him here from his days at Tulane and seeing him as a one to two punch with Derrick Henry. The Saints rushing rushing defense Mike really dropped off last year. I think they finished in the twenties. Yards per carry was way up against them, yards per game all that. It just kind of came out of nowhere. They've been a top five, top ten run defense for years under Dennis Allen. They didn't tackle very well. All that has to be a concern going against this physical Titans offense. I think everything starts there, and if they can control the Titans running game, I think they feel like they'll be in good shape defensively. But that's a big challenge with Derek Henry, as we all know, I mean, he can just wear down defenses. And they've got so many new faces in their front seven. They lost both their starting defensive tackles to free agency, Caden Ellis. They're one of their best run defending linebackers left in free agency, Marcus Davenport. They're starting right defensive end went to Minnesota and free agency, so a lot of new faces and new moving parts up there. So it's a concern how their run defense is going to fit together here.
Speaker 1: Early on Jeff Duncan, columnist with The Times, picky you in New Orleans. You are awfully good at what you do and thank you so much for taking time. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on Mike. Look forward to see you at the Dome on Sunday.
Speaker 1: That does it for this edition of the OT. Want to thank my friend Jeff Duncan, who I've known for many, many years, for joining us with a lot of insight on the New Orleans Saints, this weekend's opponent. Again on the air on Sunday at eleven am Central on Titans radio stations throughout the region, and kickoff is set for just afternoon Central time from Caesar's Superbow. Thank you so much for listening to this edition of the O T T. Welcome to the big Show where the Lesson's going.
Speaker 2: Everybody nose it's our house, Fine thought, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Make any sturry greenness expensive, BA