Speaker 1: Bretant new Awkward Tuesday phone call on Your Second Date podcast, Thanks so much for being here. And yesterday we asked you to share your scariest stories because that was the question on their Date and what do you have?
Speaker 2: Alexis Dan said, I'd love to tell you guys my scary stories. Too many to choose from, but I have a bunch about sleep paralysis. My first experience in my last was really creepy, too long to tell, but if anyone wants to know, I'll share.
Speaker 3: Just ask. Oh, Dan, we did ask, Yes, we asked you to tell the story scares me.
Speaker 4: Next time.
Speaker 5: Dan's like, Hey, if you guys want me to leave a comment on this, just let me know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tell us, all right, let us let you Dan, Yeah, let us know what you think of today's akwerd Tuesday phone call. It's brand new and it starts right now.
Speaker 6: It's broken Jeffrey in the morning, and we got an email from a woman who was desperate for our help because she's had something in her house for nine days and could not get.
Speaker 4: Rid of it.
Speaker 6: No matter what she tried, leaving the door open, showing it with a broom, it just wouldn't go. And that something is her.
Speaker 4: Mother in law?
Speaker 7: What is?
Speaker 4: I know it's even scarier than the ring.
Speaker 6: Part two, and the worst part is it's caused an issue between her and her husband. So we're going to try to assist during a brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 4: It's awkward, It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 6: We all have informal titles on this show, like Alexis is our resident dog walker slash party girl, Jose is our resident video game expert slash professional napper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, watch me nap on stream.
Speaker 6: And Brook is the poster child for getting along with your mother in law.
Speaker 4: She is.
Speaker 6: There is not one person I know who beats Brook in total grace, humility, and tact when dealing with the mother of your spouse.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, and I appreciate that you're known as a guy that's never sarcastic.
Speaker 3: No, I love that. I love that about us.
Speaker 6: Aren't we great?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, not everybody has that tight bond that Brooke does with her mom in law, And apparently that's the reason our listener, Abby has reached out for help today. So Abby, welcome to I la in Law's anonymous this is a safe space for you.
Speaker 4: We're happy to have you here.
Speaker 8: How you doing, I'm doing okay. How are you doing?
Speaker 4: Doing good?
Speaker 3: In law issues? I've never had him. Don't know I could give any advice.
Speaker 6: We'll see how this goes. But tell us about the situation you find yourself in.
Speaker 8: Well, I've been married for a couple of years now, and my husband is an architect and he does periodically have to travel for work. But his most recent trip, he had to be gone for about two months.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Yeah, no contact at all with him?
Speaker 3: Or like he's an architect, he's not in the secret Cia, or he.
Speaker 5: Could be architecting in the center of the Earth.
Speaker 4: He could be architecting the new Pentagon broke. I don't know how what field of work he's in exactly.
Speaker 8: No, we were able to talk and FaceTime a little bit, but it's just in a different country, so it's not really feasible for me to come visit him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, And it sucks when the time difference is so big and they're.
Speaker 4: On the metric system over in whatever other country. And I'm sure that plays a role in it. How many stories is this. Yeah, so a lot of confusion going on there.
Speaker 1: So he was gone overseas as I'm guessing when the issues started.
Speaker 8: Actually it was when he got back.
Speaker 4: Oh why what happened?
Speaker 8: Well, the day he got back, I was so excited, so happy to have him home. But when we got back from the airport, his mom called and she's like, hey, I'm on my way over and we're like okay, like nothing was planned.
Speaker 6: Okay, Oh, she invited herself over to your place when he got home.
Speaker 1: I see, and you too, were planning on making up for two months away from each other.
Speaker 4: Why are you immediate? That's immediately where you're find.
Speaker 3: That's where I would have been.
Speaker 4: Oh God, tell us what happened with the mom in law.
Speaker 8: Well, when she got there, I thought, okay, like she's just staying for dinner, Like, because I'm sure she missed you. My husbands name is Keith. I'm sure she missed Keith too. Okay, yeah, because we usually see her a couple of times a week. She doesn't live all that far but far enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I recommend a whole state.
Speaker 6: But whatever, ye, wherever you want, sure at least right, But this makes sense everybody's excited to see Keith again after two months away.
Speaker 4: So you have dinner together.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we all have dinner together. And then she's like, oh, my bag is in the car, and I'm like, oh, I guess she's staying the night.
Speaker 3: Oh she lives like driving distance to your house, you see her.
Speaker 8: Sort of like it's not super far, it's definitely drivable, but like she also can't really drive at night.
Speaker 4: Okay, right, so she stays one night, that's okay.
Speaker 8: She didn't stay this one night. She stayed for nine days.
Speaker 7: Nine days leave.
Speaker 3: Nine days of unannounced mother in a law of time.
Speaker 5: Huh yeah, okay, Well, I mean what did your husband?
Speaker 3: I want to know what your husband said to all of this.
Speaker 8: I mean he was slightly annoyed because she just would follow us around, like whichever one of us was home, she would just follow us around, talking and asking questions, and like, oh god, it was a lot. It was a lot.
Speaker 6: Nine days of that must be pretty taxing on you mentally.
Speaker 3: So what is so bizarre? You're like, when is she going to leave?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So what happened?
Speaker 8: So one night my husband was out, He's at the grocery store and she's following me around, and I'm just I'm at the end of my rope. I just want to be able to hang out with my husband and like pre kinnect.
Speaker 3: All the way.
Speaker 4: Sure, well what happened.
Speaker 8: I was trying to beat around the bush about when are you leaving? And she wasn't getting it, and I just got frustrated and I said, you know what, you just need to leave. You've been here for too long. You just have to go.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's understandable.
Speaker 4: Is applauding that she doesn't think he used harsh enough language.
Speaker 3: That's not true. I'm sure that she was hurt hearing that.
Speaker 8: But she was very hurt and she kind of huffed out. And then she called my husband while he was call at the grocery store and told him what happened. So I didn't even get a chance to tell him.
Speaker 4: Now, you're the bad guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he thinks now that like I hate his mom, and I don't. I mean, I felt awful when she laughed. I was like, oh my god, that's not how I wanted this to play out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even if you don't believe that, it's really nice.
Speaker 1: They thought like my mother in law a lot, But I do love my mother in law too, you know, like it's a complicated relationship to have.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, now that we've heard your story, you know this is the awkward Tuesday phone call. So what advice are you looking to get from us before you call your calling?
Speaker 8: Well, we're going to be calling my husband because he's been very upset with me since she last okay, And I try to talk to him about it, but he's like, okay, well you know your action said something else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, we'll see if we can change his mind and get him to realize you don't hate his mother. When we come back and do your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 4: It's awkward.
Speaker 3: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 6: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. You could write a Doctor Seuss book called Oh the Things you Shouldn't Say to your mother in law, And one of those things you shouldn't say to her is you need to get out of this house. You are driving me and my husband crazy right now. Please leave?
Speaker 3: Oh I don't know, I a please.
Speaker 4: Yeah I was really sugarcoating with Thatchap.
Speaker 6: But that's exactly what our listener Abby said to her mom in law, And honestly, it's kind of understandable that she did, because the mom showed up uninvited ended up spending nine straight days there.
Speaker 4: Still, though, Abby.
Speaker 6: Understands it was not a good move, especially because her husband found out. So now he thinks Abby hates his mom, and that's not a good feeling for a marriage.
Speaker 3: I think it's also not good because it's not true. She doesn't hate her. Yeah, that's her, It's just she was pushed to.
Speaker 6: The break exactly And how long ago did this happen, Abby.
Speaker 8: I was just a couple of days ago.
Speaker 6: Okay, So now Abby's come to us for advice on how to convince her husband she doesn't hate his mom. She just really wanted to reconnect with him alone just a little bit, Brook. What's your advice for how she can do that?
Speaker 3: Well, Listen, I have said a lot of things I should not have said to my mother in law.
Speaker 4: Okay, not just your mother in law, to a lot of people in the public.
Speaker 3: No, But when you're talking to your husband about your mother in law, it's a really sticky, weird space, right because that's his mom.
Speaker 1: No matter how many negative feelings or how irritated you are, that's still his mom. So he's going to defend her no matter what. I would recommend not commenting at all about her behavior and just fall on the sword you're sorry and leave it at.
Speaker 4: That, Okay, like say less.
Speaker 3: Say less and take the blame.
Speaker 4: What do you think about that? Abby?
Speaker 8: I mean, I think that there is something there, and yes I should take some blame for like especially how I acted towards her. But I still feel like her staying that long without a conversation with either one of us was kind of inappropriate on her part.
Speaker 3: So she doesn't like your advices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brooks, maybe you have something better. Abb Well. Action speak louder than words. So yeah, sure you could say you don't hate his mom.
Speaker 5: Like Brookes suggests it, but it would be even better to show him. So I suggest you tell your husband you want to invite his mom over for a special celebration just for her, like a I don't know, if her birthday's.
Speaker 4: Coming up, maybe be.
Speaker 5: Like let's have your mom or.
Speaker 3: Or maybe plan a thing for her and her son.
Speaker 4: And it's Abby's idea. What do you think of that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I definitely think I could do something that's like that because her birthday is coming up.
Speaker 3: That's that was legit advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good job, good job.
Speaker 6: Okay, so there you go, Abby, you have a little bit of wisdom on your side now. But we're gonna dial your You're not, no, not your mother in law. That conversation won't go well. No, we're dialing your husband, Keith right now, and we will step away. Let you make this awkward call.
Speaker 4: You feel ready, I think?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 4: Okay, good luck, good, Here we go.
Speaker 7: Hello.
Speaker 8: Hey, it's me.
Speaker 7: Hey, Hey, every BID's how are you?
Speaker 8: I'm good? How are you doing hanging in there?
Speaker 7: I guess everything considered.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to talk to you about that, just because I know it really upset you and your mom too, and I don't want it to be like that between all of us.
Speaker 7: You know, you can't just do that to her because she know she's good to us. She's really good to us. It's not fair.
Speaker 8: No, you're right, she is and she didn't deserve that, like fully admitting that the way I handled it was wrong. But you had been gone four months and not that I would have had a problem with her coming over, but she didn't really like let us know that she was coming or how long she was staying.
Speaker 7: You know, just stopped. Please, Okay, she's family and there's no way I'm sending my mom to a hotel. So, although I do appreciate you taking some responsibility here, I do think that it's just a little absurd that you acted the way that you did.
Speaker 8: You say absurd, but like I need you to put yourself in my shoes, because how would you react if.
Speaker 7: Like, how would I react? I would be a loving husband to your mom, and I would treat her like she's my mom, Like, come on, have you already know that? I know you know. I'll tell you one thing I wouldn't do. I wouldn't tell your mom what you told mine. My mom's coming to me now and she's telling me that I shouldn't be with someone as crude as you. You want to know why.
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 7: Because you told my mom that you just want her son. I just want to like, who tells that?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, what.
Speaker 7: Law is going on right now?
Speaker 4: What's happening Keith?
Speaker 7: What's happening right now?
Speaker 4: We want to know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, there's been a lot of people listening to this phone call because you're on the radio right now with a show called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 7: Ok, Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I am. We are stunned. Abby, this is you said that.
Speaker 7: You know, you really called the radio station.
Speaker 8: I know, I know, but I just I was having a hard time and I just needed to talk to you about it and I needed some advice, and they get really good advice, so I just thought, I was you didn't follow.
Speaker 1: Any of it.
Speaker 4: None of the advice was really taken, and you.
Speaker 3: Didn't give us the whole story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you actually said those words.
Speaker 8: To his I said, I wanted, like, I love making sessions.
Speaker 3: Better than you.
Speaker 7: Never I would never tell your mom that. That's just so disgusting.
Speaker 6: I think they're they're you know, the words are a little harsh, but the feeling underneath it is kind of sweet, is it.
Speaker 7: Do you think I wanted my mom to know, like, you know, I got a little at home, Like.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do not want details of your marriage right now?
Speaker 4: No, I mean off air, yes, but not now.
Speaker 3: And Abby do not have a door to your bedroom?
Speaker 8: We do, but I feel awkward.
Speaker 6: Come on, Brook, you do with your in laws in the room next to you, they're in another room.
Speaker 3: Might have got her to leave sooner.
Speaker 6: The point, alexis but listen, the last thing that we want to do is shane Abby for just being honest and putting her emotions and her desires out into the world.
Speaker 5: It is true, she's apologizing.
Speaker 1: And Keith, I bet, I bet your mom wants grandbabies, so how those gonna happen?
Speaker 8: And you know, again, though it's a weird convo, I'm so sorry. I know I handled this completely the wrong way, Like I don't want your hun to feel unwelcome, but we need some boundaries, like just let us know she's coming instead of just showing up, and.
Speaker 3: How long she's going to stay. Like, Keith, you too need to be a team on that. For sure.
Speaker 4: It's a good point.
Speaker 7: I can see that point. If you're willing to meet.
Speaker 8: Me halfway, yeah, I totally I totally agree with you. I want to meet you halfway. I was thinking, since her birthday's coming up, I can help you guys put something together. Whatever she wants is she wants to have dinner with just you, like, that's totally fine. If she wants to come have dinner with us, if she wants me to cook, if she wants to.
Speaker 6: Go somewhere, or Abby could pop out of the birthday cake and say surprise, yes he's pregnant.
Speaker 8: I think that might be more for Keith's birthday. Yeah.
Speaker 4: With that one, Mom's like, why wasn't I invited? But clearly Keith.
Speaker 6: She she's very apologetic about how the conversation went down, has a lot of regret about it, and just really really really wants to turn back the clock to make like this never happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she loves your.
Speaker 6: Mom, not the same way she loves you, but yes, yeah.
Speaker 7: Well I'm willing to do that, and I hope we can get past this and.
Speaker 4: I will do better. This is sounding really nice.
Speaker 6: It feels like you two are in a much better place than when we started this phone call.
Speaker 3: It looks like they need a make up love session.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, well I guess we'll stay on the phone while you two knock it out, go for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, while you may, you guys make up off the air. You're good though, right, Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think so.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 6: That's your awkward Tuesday phone call on jeff Shout out to all the mom in laws.
Speaker 4: It's Brook and Jeffrey in the.
Speaker 3: Morning brooking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 6: Well, that's going to be a fun Thanksgiving with the whole family there.
Speaker 4: I wonder what they're going to talk about over dinner.
Speaker 3: I think it's cute. I think they're going to work it all out. Yeah, I think. Okay, if you want to know the real gossip, I think the mother in law.
Speaker 1: Is probably having a problem at her house and was trying to get away, and that's why she was there for nine days.
Speaker 3: I've been right. That is a long time to be at someone's house away from.
Speaker 6: Your own nine days, right, Yeah, I mean I didn't bring it up. It couldn't just be that she really really missed her son all that time and wanted to spend more time with them.
Speaker 4: People don't love their kids.
Speaker 5: What is the conversation that happens when they finally sit down, They're like, well, how was the love making?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I hope it was worth kicking your mother out for anyway. I do hope it's all smoothed over. And if anybody out there listening needs our advice, where can they find us?
Speaker 4: Brook? What's your Instagram handle?
Speaker 3: No, not mine?
Speaker 5: Just go to ah getting as Jose what.
Speaker 4: Do you want when you hilarious? Jose go follow him? And Alexis what's your handle?
Speaker 3: Brook and Jeffrey, there we go. Thank you. Someone needed to do.
Speaker 6: You can listen all of our awkward Tuesday second Ate updates wherever you get your podcasts at I am Brook Fox.
Speaker 3: And that's not even my handle.
Speaker 7: You