Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Thursday. It's a beautiful day in AUGUSTA, opening round of the Masters. Keep an eye on that NFL Draft coming up in a couple of weeks. Hope you'll join us if you can. We'll be at the bar on a home grun way Wednesday, Thursday Friday shows. Everything is on sale fifty percent off at Danpatrick dot Com. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards at the Dan Patrick Show. And speaking of the show, drafts at the Draft and hope you'll join us. Courtesy our friends at Miller Lite making this possible for fifty years. Miller Lite the top pick for beer lovers since nineteen seventy five, the original light beer. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app. We will head to Dallas. We'll follow up with the Luca performance last night. The freshly minted Hall of Famer Dwight Howard is going to join us a little bit later on as well.
Speaker 3: We'll have Doubt Rankings.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye on what's going on at AUGUSTA, and we're winding down the regular season, Timberwolves and the Grizzlies coming up tonight, Nix and the Pistons thunder up to sixty six wins, and Luca and the Lakers steal the headlines last night as he goes for forty five. And it's one of those nights where you're not quite sure emotionally how locked in you can be.
Speaker 3: If you're Luca, you're going back. Are you sad?
Speaker 2: Are you angry? Are you excited? The wave of emotions here. In fact, Luca was asked about that last night after the game.
Speaker 4: It was a little bit of both, you know, happy and angry. But you know, it's nice to see some familiar faces here. You know, I spent a lot of times with them, Like you said, you know, it was a lot of emotions. When I woke up, I was tired and I didn't sleep much. I'm excited about this game, and you know, I reallypichet the fence the way they reacted it to.
Speaker 2: Me, and I thought they were going to give them a standing ovation. I thought they'd every time he got the ball. It was a home game of sorts for Luca on the road, and the fans made sure that he was welcomed. He felt that way, and it's not the same, but it's compartmentalizing. When Brett Farbe's father died and then Farv went out and had that unbelievable Monday night game, I think against the Raiders, and he just needed to have that escape from what happened with his father. Well, Luca is not exactly escaping. He's walking right into this. He's walking right into where it started. And then he was not so politely asked to leave. And the fact that the GM Nico Harrison is in the building, fans are chanting fire Nico, and the over under was thirty and a half points for Luca and he blew by that in the first half. He had thirty one at a halftime. But it was great to see that. And you can't forget about the Lakers are trying to get the number three seats, so you you've got to make sure you win the game. Don't get caught up in the emotion of it. Make sure you win the game. But he drops forty five, they win by fifteen, and you know this is what's going to be I guess ask of Luca the rest of his career, being a leader, being mature because you know Lebron's got how many more years left? Then it's Luca's team. And what you want to see is that maturity that I can be a leader. We know he can be a great player, it's now what are you going to be? Great players are always adding to their games, whether it's something that is tangible or something that you know, maybe not so much in being a leader, a leader on the court off the court.
Speaker 3: And yes, do I.
Speaker 2: Have I said things about his passion getting caught up in little things. Yes, and maybe that's something that he needs to have. There's certain players that like to have. It's almost like there's a pebble in your shoe. You're never quite comfortable and jawing with officials, jawing with fans. I hope he grows out of that. He might not, But to be able to put up these kind of numbers and remind us too of just how great he can be in a big moment was pretty impressive last night. All right, setan poll question today eight seven seven three DP show operators sitting by taking your phone calls, and we'll get to those coming up.
Speaker 3: So what do you have for a pole question?
Speaker 5: Here's one from Paul, if you gave Mark Cuban a mulligan dot h. I'm assuming this is Mavericks related and perhaps selling his a big chunk of a team.
Speaker 3: Do you think he would still do that? I don't know how much money he made. I don't know. I don't know what he wants to do.
Speaker 2: So he has a couple of billion now I think he owned twenty seven percent of the maps. Would he have kept the team and bec and not sold it so he doesn't get rid of Luka Duncis?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It feels like he wants to divest himself from being an owner. He was the face of the Dallas Mavericks. He was there in his jeans, in his Dallas jersey and T shirt and he's on the bench. Feels like he's got bigger plans like politics. But then you know they're trying to get gambling. They're trying to do a whole like neighborhood there. It feels like with the arena of the basketball team, the new ownership there coming in from Vegas.
Speaker 3: But would he if he could do it again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, unless we had him on to be able to be fair to him, to ask that, I like, I don't even know if I could wager a guest to say, of course he would, because I don't know. It seems like and we had Tim mcmahonnon who was there for ESPN. He's written a book on Luca and he said there's no way that Mark Cuban would ever have allowed this, and I understand that I agree with that.
Speaker 3: But and he didn't have a.
Speaker 2: Say in this either, which it's strange, but you know, he owns twenty seven percent of the team, I think, and they didn't run this by him, and this might have been ownership saying, hey, we're the ones in charge here, not our GM, not our coach, not our former owner.
Speaker 3: We're in charge.
Speaker 2: We're the ones that have to write a check for three hundred and forty five million dollars, and you know what, we're not comfortable doing that.
Speaker 5: Cuban man, that's hard to say. That's a hell of an investment from that guy. Though he bought the team for like two one hundred and eighty five million dollars something like that, Yeah, and then sold it.
Speaker 3: For like three three point five yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Damn good business man he's had. His resume is spotty in some of the decisions that he's made. But this is a now. He was all in on Luca to begin with, and that's why they traded for him, But some other moves that he's made haven't gone so elegantly.
Speaker 3: Yes, seton, Yeah, I think that was an interesting point from yesterday we were talking about that.
Speaker 5: I mean, he had a ton of bad moves during his tenure too, just maybe not quite this bad well though, I mean some of them were really terrible.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, Pauli.
Speaker 6: Mark Cuban made an estimated three point five billion off the sale. He still retains a twenty seven percent stake. Dallas Morning News had an article last week where Mark said he expected to continue to run basketball when he sold the mask, but the NBA would not let that be put in the contract. That's where the mulligan comes in. He could have gotten the money and maybe still run basketball, but they wouldn't allow it. I wonder if that was his image, like you said, that was a big part of his image.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if he could have maintained control over the basketball operations still made his money, then sure he would want that. That's what he did want. But now they've taken away his baby and then somebody else is raising it, and all of a sudden you make this move one of the biggest moves in NBA history. And there have been times when you know, guys have been moved. You know, he saw this, leu Al Sindor when he was traded, Wilt when he was traded. So we've had these moments here, but that's still it's still shocking when you trade somebody who is that young. What other poll questions do we have.
Speaker 5: Let's see what else we've got here. We've got two from the t O dub. How closely do you follow the first round of the Masters? Okay, follow followed a little bit, Yeah, a little bit. See who gets out hot?
Speaker 2: Well, the odds are and if you look history shows that you got to be around the top fifteen. That that you don't see too many come from behind wins, at least some of the analysts that talk about that after the first day. Look in the top fifteen, you'll probably find your winner in the top fifteen the odds to win Scotty Scheffler, then it's Rory McElroy, then you go to John Rahm, Colin Moore, Kwa Xander Schoffley Bryson to Shambeau and Ludwig Oberg. But this is all about Rory because he's played well this year. He needs the masters for the career Grand Slam. Scheffler hasn't played great, but he's the odds on favorite. And then you got John Rahm. Can you dial it up? You know, can you dial up that tension that you need to play Augusta? You know that feeling when you're playing Augusta as opposed to playing on the lib Tour where you're listening to music and you're wearing shorts and really not playing for anything. Now you're playing for everything. But this is an opportunity for John Ram and Bryson de Shamba. Those are the two favorites from the along with Colin Morikawa, who a lot of people like you quietly played great this year. But weather condition should be great today and I think there's rain in the forecast.
Speaker 3: At some point.
Speaker 2: There was another story that I saw and I don't know if it's a thing or not, and that is TJ. Watt had a social media post and he posted an image of himself giving the peace sign from his Instagram story, no caption, and then all of a sudden, fans are wondering, does he want to be traded? I don't know if that's a piece out sign, but you know, he's entering the final year of a four year deal, he's thirty years of age. He's probably looking at Max Crosby and Miles Garrett's deals and maybe he's looking to cash in. I guess that's what I can read into this. Once again, I don't know if it's a thing or not. Here you are the Steelers, you're waiting for Aaron Rodgers. You're gonna, I think, host Shador Sanders today, and now you have your best defensive player, your best player who just gives a peace sign. Should we read anything into that? As we head towards the draft, a couple of defensive players getting bigger deals than his.
Speaker 3: Does he want a new deal? Now?
Speaker 2: Is that what he's saying? Or is he saying peace out? I want to be out of here, which would surprise me because he's the face of the Pittsburgh Steelers right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. See it's possible.
Speaker 5: He's a huge point break fan and he's asking for two utah, oh give me two?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I didn't factor that in.
Speaker 5: Might be that might be the poll question. What else could TJ. Watt be signaling here? If not I want to trade?
Speaker 2: Okay, thirty years of age, but tied straighthand for the most acts in a single season twenty two and a half. I mean it's the final year of his contract, so you should be able to cash in one more time here, Yeah, pony.
Speaker 6: Yes, one more year in his contract. This year TJ. Watt will make just under thirty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I could see.
Speaker 6: Wanting a yeah, obvious, wanting a contract now because entering thirty two, you're not gonna get the monster contract. I don't think even if even if the production is there.
Speaker 3: Okay, so is he asking out, do you trade TJ. Watt?
Speaker 7: And Uh?
Speaker 2: Once again, I don't know if it's a thing or not, but it felt like people were making it into a thing. And granted, it's the Steelers and you don't know what they're doing. You don't know, you know, are they going to draft a quarterback at twenty one? Is Roger's going to go there? And now you have this. If you're Mike Tomlin, you're like, come on, I need something positive to happen here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: Maybe he put up two fingers. Last year, we had two quarterbacks. Right now we basically have zero.
Speaker 2: I'm going deep dive, okay, okay, yeah, but you know it's all about timing that Miles Garrett was up and Max Crosby was up and they got bigger deals. Okay, if you're TJ. Watt, just play this year and then sign your contract extension. Yes, Tom, let's.
Speaker 8: Give Aaron Rodgers two more days or two more weeks at de same what he's doing, and then we've got to move on because this is getting embarrassing.
Speaker 3: I see what you're doing. Okay, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's something there or not, but it just felt like it's the NFL. It's the Steelers heading into the draft. Aaron Rodgers should or Sanders going to be there today. Wait a minute, what's TJ watsaying? Just put up a peace sign? Maybe it's nothing or maybe it's something. Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you watching on Peacock, we're gonna check in with Joe Varden. He covers the NBA. He was at the game last night. He works for the athletic Dwight Howard will join us a little later on as well. Your phone calls, stat of the day, play the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 3: I mean that says something.
Speaker 9: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 10: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll settle on a poll question and get phone calls coming up eh seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Joe Varden covering the NBA for the Athletic He was at the Lakers MAVs game last night, joining us from Dallas. How would you describe the atmosphere, Joe.
Speaker 11: Well, I've been to a few reunion games, including Klay Thompson's as a member of the Mavericks at Golden State this year. I've never seen anything like this. There really wasn't a boo to be heard, and the Lakers always get booed on the road, but every time that Luca had the ball, there was a roar. Every time he scored, it was louder. Now At the same time, there was an incredible sense of negativity and frustration and anger in the form of when either team was at the foul line, fans are channing fire Nico for general manager Nico Harrison, who made this trade. So yeah, I mean, you know, Lebron's talking about this afterwards. I mean, if you think about all the reunion games that he's been a part of and how emotional they were for different reasons, he was saying that it was a cool moment that he'll remember for the rest of his life.
Speaker 3: What kind of message do you think Luca wanted to send last night?
Speaker 11: You know, I think that Luca is an introspective, sensitive young man, and I mean that in the best way, and I don't think he was looking to send a message. I think he was hoping to get through it. And you know, he even said postgame that when he's he's sitting there alone on the bench, you know, they've already announced the other four Lakers starters, and he's sitting there by himself, and there's twenty thousand people on top of him, all kind of looking at him. And yes, they are looking at the video tribute that was playing before his name was called. But I really felt like it was one. It was like the you know, a case of a singular man in the arena and he's sitting there and he's become he's overcome with emotion and he has to wipe his face before he can even get up. And as he walks through the Lakers after his name is called, I mean, Mark Eith Morris has to like grab him and like lebron hugged him the way he'd hugged Bronnie after a tough high school game or something like. It was. It was really incredible to see the genuine emotion that's coming out of everybody. So you know, Luca has all that, and then he goes out and scores fourteen in the first quarter, and I think he felt a rhythm and a familiarity with the arena. I think the retribution and the payback probably comes in the future years, you know, when he's now through this part. And that's assuming that Nico and Jason Kidd and those guys are there in the building, you know, in future years to for those games. But I think that's when Luca will be over the emotional part and he does have a vindictive side for sure. I think that's a great observation on your part, But I just don't think he was ready to use that part of himself yet.
Speaker 3: Was Nico Harrison made available to the media.
Speaker 11: No, No, though those days are largely over. You know, guys make trades all the time, and you know, maybe they don't even speak, you know, very short press conferences when coaches are fired a week before the playoffs. So that's a long way to say. No, he didn't address it yesterday. He was in the building, standing there in the tunnel, listening to that. You know, I also want to bring up this point, if it's okay about all of this. You know, there was another superstar last night who had a reunion game, and that's Anthony Davis. He's a ten time All Star. However many gold medals, NBA Champion. In any other case, last night is about him and playing the Lakers and playing Lebron. But of course he's overshadowed because of the Hole Lucas situation. But every night that he's in the arena and he listens to his home crowd chant fire, Nico, he knows it's not directed at him, but he also knows that the trade that brought him to town is why these fans want him gone, and as a player of his caliber, to just feel how upset everyone is. Essentially that he's in the building, that's tough on him. And I think you could see that wearing on him last night too.
Speaker 2: If you gave Mark Cuban a mulligan, does he sell the majority of his interest ownership stake in this? And because I think he still wanted to run the basketball portion of this and maintain twenty seven percent. But if you ask him, what do you think he would say?
Speaker 11: That's a tough question, Dan, just because like even even you don't move in that kind of money, but I you know, I don't. I don't understand what billions means. And so yeah, I mean I think that he he achieved the financial goal that he had set out to achieve, and obviously he wanted some kind of freedom and that in that way, uh in shape. But but yeah, like if if if he has to decide between that and then you know, retaining control of this franchise that he built really and build it into what it was. Yeah, I mean I see the point. I I I think I'm gonna say he still does it because there there was a reason why he made the sale, and you have to know, you know, even if when you when listen when when the New York Times bought the Athletic for for a year plus two years that the two founders were still around and advising and doing this and that. But eventually, you know, ownership takes over and there's a new plan and and that's that's how it is with any big sale like that. So I think Mark had to know it, and you have to be able to live with those consequences, including the trading of the franchise player that you that you maneuvered to get and nurture.
Speaker 2: Talking to Joe Varden, he covers the NBA for the Athletic, He was at the game last night in Dallas.
Speaker 3: How threatening are the Lakers? Yeah?
Speaker 11: I like them because you're you're talking about Lebron somehow playing at a A plus level, one of the best players in the league. Lucas certainly is one of the best players in the league. And they play so well together like I kind of knew they would, and I actually I think there is some writing somewhere that backs that up. So this isn't hindsight. They're playing great and then you know, you trade away Anthony Davis, so you say they got smaller, but also like Jared Vanderbilt is finally healthy and he's super long, and Ruey Haschimura is is healthy and he's super long. So you're playing those two and Lebron is playing a traditional four sometimes a small five. You know, Jackson Hayes has been okay, and then you have Austin Reeves who is really blossomed into a scorer and the playmaker or that they need. So you know, we always talk about experience, and that is the one bugaboo that's that that Oklahoma City has. They've only won one playoff series, you know, for as great as they've been the last two regular seasons. And if experience matters, you obviously have Lebron. We don't need to go over his credentials.
Speaker 3: And then you have the.
Speaker 11: Key representative for the Western Conference in last year's finals and Lucas. So yeah, I mean they're I mean that they're a tough out for sure.
Speaker 3: How threatening are the Warriors?
Speaker 11: I mean I hate to be a prisoner of the moment, but last night's stunk. Uh. You know, they've been tremendous since they acquired Jimmy. The trade did exactly what the organization wanted to do. Uh. It gave Steph some breathing room, It injected some life in there. And and now you're talking about them like, you know, flashing their finals and championship credentials. And then they go and they lose to San Antonio last night on a buzzer beater. And now if the playoffs were today, they wouldn't be in them. They'd have to play their way in via the play in So I you know, when when Boston got to the finals with e May a couple of years ago, at in February, they were in seventh place and they they rocketed up. So so I don't want to say that that isn't possible, but I'm always gonna pump the brakes on a team that's been between sixth place and eighth or ninth for most.
Speaker 7: Of the year.
Speaker 3: Who's your MVP?
Speaker 11: My MVP is Shay Gilgess Alexander, and I understand the year that Nicola is having. You could certainly make the case arguably that statistically he's better this year than he has been in years where he's won it. Shay is the best player on the best team uh and has has certainly built his case in any number of ways. And then, on top of that, in a year where ownership decides that this that the performance of the team is so objectionable that you have to fire the coach a week before the season's over, the MVP is not on your team.
Speaker 2: But I think most analysts will say the best player on the planet is Nicola Jokic.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would say that, And I mean, I don't know how many times I've voted. This is my eleventh season doing this on a on this kind of stage, so I've had a lot of votes. I admit that I, along with most of my colleague struggle is to what the what valuable means? Are we talking about the best player? Are we talking about the team?
Speaker 4: Who is?
Speaker 11: Who are the player who's the most important?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 11: I think it comes and goes. There was a year where we voted for us because he averaged a triple double. There were years where Lebron didn't get it when he was obviously the best player in the league. So I think it's probably going to go that way. I don't think it'll be unanimous. Nicole is a tremendous player, but I just I think there I think when you consider where the Nuggets are right now and the everything they're going through, and then where the thunder are and why I think that's the Uh, that's the decider for me.
Speaker 2: And I wonder about this with Joker moving forward, who's going to be the coach and what's going to be the philosophy. He's thirty years of age, he's got a couple of years left on this deal. But and we had somebody on yesterday who said that he thinks he's a loyal He's like Dirk Novitsky, like he's loyal to the franchise. But I wonder, can you see a scenario where Joker says, hey, I want out?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean the way the last several years have gone in the league. The short answer is, of course, did a little reporting on this last night, not talking to Nicola. Uh, he would be a hard guy to get to get a hold up on the phone. But but people who you know, who are around that team, and and and sort of trade in the in the business of of knowing these things suggests that that Nicola is not looking to get out, and that isn't reacting to the firing of the only coach he's played for as a kind of a how dare you think? You know, I think that there was some frustration on his part too about the direction of the team. And so yeah, I do view nicolea as a player who who does or could anyway stay in Denver for his entire career. I mean, I think if if they get into a situation where it's clear that they are going to regress and and be in the lottery for a while, I mean, that's not something anybody wants to do. But you know, he Nicole is very set in his life and what matters to him. You know, he enjoys going back to Serbia in the summers, you know, not that Denver is a tiny market or whatever you want to say about it, like it's not. But we could also easily say Nicole is not like lusting for New York or La or Miami or anything like that. So I you know, I've always said that Lebron will end his career in Los Angeles, and I'm going to be in the boat of Nicole is not looking to push his way out of Denver in the near future.
Speaker 3: Great stuff, Thank you, Joe. Great to talk to you again.
Speaker 11: Great to see it. Thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: That's Joe Varden. He covers the NBA for the athletic and spends a lot of time with the Lakers. Yeah, the Golden State loss and a buzzer beater in San Antonio. I just don't understand. Now. Granted, you've got players in San Antonio trying to prove themselves and sometimes that's a dangerous team.
Speaker 3: But you don't have Victor Winbin Yama. You can't lose those games. The Miami Heat losing to the Bulls, like, you can't lose these games, but they do. David in Dallas, Hi, David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey? Man, I'm going to tell you right now. The last night that Adelson's owners of the MAVs, they were cheering for one hundred from Luca. They want to move this team. They cannot get their casino and arena combo built. They've been turned down multiple times since they bought the team. They bought the team with the idea they were going to get the first ever casino in Texas in the DFW area.
Speaker 3: Yep, they can't get it.
Speaker 12: I'm telling you right now. They want to get that team to Vegas by twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the commissioner has to know this, and if you're going to approve a sale, I think you have to. You know, you're going to have meetings with the owners, and you're going to want to know exactly what they're plan is. I mean, that would just be normal course of business for a commissioner. Now that doesn't mean you have to tell him the truth. But I don't know if they went in there to basically bankrupt this team performance wise to then go hey, it's not working here, we didn't get our casino.
Speaker 3: We're going to Vegas.
Speaker 2: The commissioner is going to have to approve that. Now, does he want an expansion team in there? Or as Seatan is brought up, well what if Dallas goes to Vegas and you put an expansion team in Dallas, which, yes, that could happen. I just can't imagine this commissioner going all right, tell me exactly what your plans are. Well, we're going to buy out Mark Cuban. He's going to own twenty seven percent, but he's not going to run the team. Well who's running the team? And then you lay out your game plan there, because you can't just go hey, come on in, you got the money, here's your team do whatever you want. You're running a league. You want sustainability. This has been one of the Marquis franchises here for a long long time. But I know that people jumped on this and they're like, yep, that's exactly what's happened. That's why you traded Luca. I think they traded Luca because they didn't like where he was going. I think that you're going to put that kind of money in the hands of somebody twenty five, twenty six, three hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Do you want to be in shape?
Speaker 2: Which is strange to say because you play in the Olympics, you went to an NBA finals. It's just he didn't pass the eye test.
Speaker 3: You go, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, Joker is not exactly cut. Yeah, he just plays. He knows how to play. But Luca, we tend to focus on you. You know, when Michael Finley grabbed the beer out of his hand after a game, boy, oh boy, that was one of those telling moments. Finley was saying in Finn Dog. Former NBA players like, uh no, no, no, no, You're not going to do that out in the hallway for people to see. But yeah, I just think maybe ownership said, well, they had to sign off on this. Do we want to spend this kind of money for a guy who may not want to be the best that he can be.
Speaker 3: There's no other. First of all, you can't trade somebody like this, no matter what. You can't.
Speaker 2: But if you do, you must get Austin Reeves with Anthony Day. You have to have to, you just, you know, no matter what, you got to save face here. And they didn't do that, yes, Mark.
Speaker 8: What still mind boggling is the Mavericks went to the finals.
Speaker 3: I know the year before.
Speaker 8: It'd be different if A's out of shape and they got bounced in the first round.
Speaker 7: What do we do?
Speaker 8: No, I say, I'm not gonna say he dragged because he did. But he played great and they got to the finals in a really tough Western conference. And now you're saying you want to trade him, a twenty five year old in his prime, for a thirty two year old who's off injured.
Speaker 2: I know, but I wonder what other deals they could have gotten, because there was a report that they did reach out to Minnesota and say, hey, you're interested in Luca, we want Anthony Edwards. Okay, I can sign off on that, at least the potential for making a deal that I'm getting somebody who's two years younger and is going to be a star already a star. But even then I can't trade. There's there's how many guys who are like Luca in this NBA. There's there's nobody like him. But you got this guy. He was better than you thought he was going to be, and then all of a sudden you'd say, can he get in shape? I just feel like somebody should have been able to motivate him to take care of himself. If that was the main issue, then you find somebody to say, we need help here.
Speaker 3: That's all I mean.
Speaker 2: You know, all of a sudden, he's not listening to us, he's not in shape, or he won't get in shape. You know, he's known as Hookah don Chic instead of Luca. He drink's beer. You know, I get I understand that, but I just I don't know how you come to that decision where you go, you know, what, what if we trade Luca?
Speaker 5: Uh huh, Yeah, I mean it might be from months, if not years, of trying to do exactly what you just said. Yeah, you know that that video to me of the assistant coach taking the beer out of his hand is everything I need to.
Speaker 3: Know that one has stayed with me. It's weird.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing I thought of when he got traded. Yeah, first thing. All right, take a break. More phone calls coming up back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP Oh my, God.
Speaker 3: Of the day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 11: Steph Castle to Harrison Barnes outside the argon left side will throw off a three left wing.
Speaker 1: That shot is god. Harrison Barnes nails.
Speaker 9: The left wing three out the buzzer, and the Spurs have come back and taken care of business against the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 2: Spurs Radio Network not too enthusiastic with that call that you peak the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was just like I'll be damn we won the game. Harrison Barnes. Isn't he a former Warrior? Marvin?
Speaker 7: He is ANBA champ? Yeah? Uh.
Speaker 2: Steph Curry made five to three pointers. He has over three hundred three pointers, his NBA record sixth season with at least three hundred made. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day is brought to you by Mako. You need a little TLC with your car. They will help bring your car back to life. Affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Mako. Mark Cuban, he was court sided last night and the camera was on him when they were doing the fire Nico chance and he wasn't He wasn't too thrilled with that with the home crowd, but he did have a nice moment with Luca after the game and was able to say hello and say goodbye. A couple of phone calls in here, let's see Robert in Sacramento. Hi Robert, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey guys, thanks for taking my call. You know, I think I think the question on who the MVP is kind of over. It's got to be It's got to be Joker. There's no way they make that move without his. Okay, this guy is most valuable because he said, yeah, get rid of the coach and yeah, get.
Speaker 3: Rid of the GM.
Speaker 7: How is he not the most valuable player of the NBA. Who else has that type of who else, I masci whose who else has that that type of poll?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe the most powerful player in the NBA, he's not going to be the most valuable. It's going to be Shay Gilgess. But thank you for the phone call. And I don't have any problem with that. I don't Shay Gilgess has earned that right to be the MVP. And what OKC did in the West, a very very competitive West, and they blew everybody away sixty six wins. You know, you end up winning the conference division by more than you know, in double digit like what thirteen games. And he's been great. He's been consistently great. No problem with that at all.
Speaker 3: If Joker and Denver had a similar record, then you have a conversation.
Speaker 2: But they didn't. They haven't played well since the All Star Break. Coach get fired, GM gets fired?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Tim in Orlando? Hi Tim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey DPU five? Uh Hey, just calling back. Called a couple of weeks ago, had a scare in the twig and berries area. I wanted to follow up and let you know that after uh we had the test go removed. It did turn out to be cancer. So just encourage the listeners and uh to you know, check check your twigs and berries every day.
Speaker 3: Are you okay though the rest of your body?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: They believe they got it all. We'll do some follow ups, but you know it's I'm fifty one, so it's not normal to experience testicular cancer in a fifty one year old.
Speaker 7: So doing good.
Speaker 13: My wife is super supportive. She's been really really good through this whole thing. And you know, knowing that I have you guys helps too.
Speaker 3: Do you have a sense of humor?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Can people have fun with this?
Speaker 13: Yeah? My So I got my son listening to the DP show after years and years and years of talking it up, and finally he's a huge fan, and so he sent me a picture of Solomon Ball, and you know, he's referred to a solo ball. So he said he's going to buy me a jersey for Christmas. I can wear it around.
Speaker 2: I remember John Cruck, the great baseball player. He he had one of his testicles removed, and I remember him saying, I'm mad and I'm going to take my ball and go home.
Speaker 12: Tim.
Speaker 3: It's great to hear from you, and thank you for the update.
Speaker 7: Thanks TV.
Speaker 13: Thanks boys, all right?
Speaker 3: Him and Orlando? Yeah, Like, what's the grace period before you can have fun with it?
Speaker 6: Yes, paulm once you found out that he's generally okay, then we can enter joke.
Speaker 7: Bode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he said he was fifty one. I get you, not fifty two fifty one Mike and Tennessee, Hi Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hey guys, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 7: Bear with me.
Speaker 14: You know, I worked in a mex Security forensic facility with the criminally insane for about five years, but for some reason, I'm pretty nervous at the moment, so bear with me. I wanted to talk a little bit about the live versus PGA tour convos going on. So I'm totally overall on your guys' side. Like PGA tours for the competitive nature, like you know, you earn your money while you're there being watched, you know, for the true athlete. But if we look at the flip side of this token, my mom always used to say, be good to yourself. If we're all striving for better physical, mental, spirit health, we got to look at the flip side. We can't blame these guys for doing what they love with no stress, they're already paid.
Speaker 3: No, no, Mike, Mike, I don't begrudge them if they take the money. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want them to be able to come back to the PGA Tour. I mean, you made a decision and thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: You want to better yourself good, but there's repercussions there. That's all.
Speaker 2: You want to be loyal to, live good, Go ahead and play. It's just meaningless golf, Like you can't even play four days, you play three. Like that is something where I go, Wow, that's what the PGA Tour is missing. Shorts all that's it music, bad music being played. These are great players. I want to see great players play under pressure against each other. And how about we play seventy two holes. It's not asking too much. Dwight Howe word joints is coming up.