Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour in this Monday. Come on in, Jim Jackson, are good, Buddy Turner Sports NBA analysts will join us. Looking back on a pair of Game sevens. First time in NBA playoff history, the road teams won a pair of Game sevens. Timberwolves come back, they were down as many as twenty and they win. You know, factor that in you're going against the defending champs. You're on the road, playing at altitude, and you know, going against Joker and company. And you didn't even have a good performance from Anthony Edwards who went six to twenty four, but he did play good defense on Jamal in the second half of the game. Murray had a wonderful first half, got shut down in the second half. Pacers rolled the Knicks. When you're shooting sixty seven percent from the floor, your odds are pretty good that you're going to win one thirty to one oh nine. Capping those games, here's Mike Malone, the Nuggets head coach, and we start with a reporter's question.
Speaker 3: How hard is it just to absorb ale loss like this after going ahead.
Speaker 4: By twenty Nice question, man, the season's over. That's what's hard being up twenty season's over. You don't understand that the season's over.
Speaker 5: It's hard.
Speaker 2: It's stupid questions. Alrighty, I thought, okay, is it a tough question from the standpoint of not wanting to answer it. There's a cooling off period for both teams and coaches, and look, you're trying to process this that you lost. You've got to meet the media. What are you going to say? What are they going to ask? It is an obvious question, you know, how do you feel you blew a lead of twenty at home game seven? Fair question? Question is do you want to really answer it? And instead you want to bully the reporter? Uh set the tone of the press conference. I get that, but it's wrong. He just joins John. That's all. Yeah, Tons, it was too obvious.
Speaker 6: I didn't love the question because, of course, there's an obvious answer to that. I think you don't embarrass this guy in front of his colleagues. There's a myriad of ways to handle that. No matter how inane you think the question is or how obvious the answer is, you don't have to curse and just humiliate him in front of him.
Speaker 2: Well, you can be bland. I mean, you've got coaches who are blanned all the time or players who are bland all the time. We don't like it. Would I be playing Michael Malone's answer if it was bland, No, I would not. I'm playing it because you know he went after this reporter. Look, sometimes you're just trying to get you're trying to ask a question. I don't think he was going Kyle, Hey, you should be embarrassed. You blew a twenty point lead. How do you feel like he's kind of letting Michael Malone and the Nuggets off the hook a little bit now, just throwing the twenty point you're up by twenty. That may have set off Michael Malone. Anthony Edwards. He was entertaining after the win, and uh, you had some really really fun things from him, and uh, here are some of the questions. And it was along that run.
Speaker 7: I think it was something like thirty one to nine, maybe even better than that.
Speaker 5: From late in the or.
Speaker 8: Early in the third or early in the fourth, was there a sequence that where.
Speaker 9: You're like, Okay, we we got this.
Speaker 5: The game is back turn in our favor.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even know turn around.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think I think Rudy hit the turnaround.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, we probably got him.
Speaker 5: God, because I know that a kill you.
Speaker 10: I know that a kid, your whole that to kill everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big shout out the.
Speaker 5: Big room man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Rudy Gobert. Karl Anthony Towns on the podium with him, and UH also had this question to him.
Speaker 8: Usually an NBA history says you have to lose and lose big before you win.
Speaker 2: What is it about this team that says we lost last year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's different.
Speaker 2: You have to lose out a bigger stage. Usually teams us the playoffs. We lost last year, we lost the last two years.
Speaker 5: Damn that much more.
Speaker 2: We got to lose. How much you want us to lose?
Speaker 1: Lose for twenty years?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just the truth. Anthony Edwards, Karl Anthony Town's key and peel.
Speaker 7: Those duds are fun. That's one of the more entertaining press conferences in recent memory.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 2: Certainly helps when you win. Yeah. Joker and Murray combined for sixty nine. The rest of the roster combined for twenty one. Minnesota had six players score at least ten or more points. Karl Anthony Town stepped up and that's what it was going to take. Anthony Edwards didn't have a good offensive game, but everybody else stood out, stood out and stood up and that's why they're advancing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's all these people on the internet too, talking about how Anthony Edwards turned into his character from the must from Hustle, because there's all of these just images of him looking at players from the Nuggets or whatever, and you know, he's just talking trash about like you guys are dead. You can't do it, you can't do We're coming back and we're going to beat you. You know, just that ruthlessness that he had, and that's the character.
Speaker 2: Pretty good. And then you had the nixt situation Game seven at home, banged up, but the Pacers got a great performance. Everybody shot.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Here's Tyrese Haliburton on We're not surprised.
Speaker 11: We had a pre camp, preseason camp in Nashville, just players, no coaches, and that's that was what we communicated from the jump that we expected to be here. This ain't a surprise for us. You know, it's no fluke. We expect this from our group. And then once we added p We knew that we could really take off. So it doesn't really matter what anybody thinks, except for the people in our travel party seventy eighty.
Speaker 5: People who come.
Speaker 11: Because I don't think anybody here picked the Pacers to win the series, but it happened.
Speaker 2: I have a picture proof, Miles Turner echoing those nobody picked us the uh he's talking about p Pascual Siakam odds to win the title. According to DraftKings, you got the Celtics the big favorites, and then the Timberwolves, and then it's the MAVs and the Pacers. Pacers or plus twenty five hundred. The Celtics are minus one fifty. They better win the title. Let's see anything else in here now. I got over unders here for the Eastern Conference Tatum over under twenty eight point nine, Jalen Brown twenty four and a half, Haliburton nineteen point three over unders and the Eastern Conference finals will start Tuesday. Wednesday, the West and Reggie Miller will be on the call for the Western Conference finals. Reg will join us on Wednesday's program NBC Sports Championship Season it continues the Indy five hundred that'll be Sunday at eleven am Eastern on NBC and also on Peacock. More of your phone calls coming up. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app, welcoming us into your homes and our radio affiliates around the country as well. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio operator Tyler standing by for your phone calls. More phone calls on Best and Worst of the weekend. And what's the poll question for the final hour of the program. Do we have a new one Seaton Counter.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're gonna put one up here. Which hurts more sports pain or actual physical pain?
Speaker 2: I would say sports pain because an injury heals. I got Falcons Fan twenty eight to three doesn't heal, Like if I if I have knee surgery, all right, I'm late up for a couple of months, and then now it's good. Replacement knee surgery all right, really hurts. Then all of a sudden it's gone and I'm good. Twenty eight to three doesn't leave.
Speaker 7: It's just like a hole in your life that just you cannot fill.
Speaker 2: What the heck is always there?
Speaker 7: You always just think back about, like bad losses like Seaton Hall Michigan. I'm always like, you know what, that was stupid, That was dumb, That was a garbage called Seaton Hall one, And then you imagine what would have happened for the next you know, almost forty years of building a program off of that one championship, but never gonna know they got robbed.
Speaker 2: No stupid? Yeah, yeah, I think sports losses like sometimes they're so painful, so dramatic. You didn't see it coming, or it's a slow burn if you see it coming and there's nothing you could do about it. Like physically you heal, mentally you don't. It's always there. All it takes. Something will trigger that, Hey it's March twenty eighth, Falcons fan, They'll be like, why why are you doing that to me?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: What time is it?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 2: It's uh three twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's what your friends are for, to remind you of those says, that's what friends are for.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Brian in Mason, Hi, Brian, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 13: How are you doing? Dan? Thank you for calling. Yeah, I'm at Drew Brees five ten and a half one to eighty five. I was calling because you guys said, you know, when you have teams that look like they're going to be great, and you say, you know, injuries being a big part of that. The Cincinnati Angles when we lost the Super Bowl, looked like a team where everybody hung their head and said, if this wasn't the year, then when would be the year? And now it looks like if Joe Burrows doesn't stay healthy, then they won't be a team. There's no backup that you can put in with that team that brings them to a super Bowl level.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but like they weren't up where they lost in dramatic fashion, they had an opportunity. They forgot to block Aaron Donald. Had they blocked him on that play, the Bengals win the Super Bowl, right, Jamar Chase gets open, He's open because the dB falls down. I believe on that play.
Speaker 10: Yes, Ma, It's like when one of the forty nine ers Super Bowl losses, Jimmy Garoppolo overthrows the Mayl Sanders and I was like, oh, and they were up by ten in the fourth quarter. Yeah, but it wasn't twenty eight to three, or wasn't twenty to three in the middle of the third quarter. I always bring that up, not twenty three in the first quarter.
Speaker 2: Brit in Wisconsin. Hi, Britt, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: How are you doing? Good?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 5: Five eight?
Speaker 14: All right, yeah, I'm I actually owned two shares of C's degree.
Speaker 2: Oh congratulations, now, thank you very much. How much do you get?
Speaker 5: What you think?
Speaker 14: No, I'm it's a couple of days for them to actually do the payout. But I know, I want to say I paid ninety eight bucks a.
Speaker 13: Share, okay for the horse.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's two and seventy shareholders, right, And Paulie said, you're gonna make about four hundred dollars, but you have two shares, so you might be getting close to nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 14: That's not bad for sitting here yelling at the TV.
Speaker 2: And you'll get stud fees as well. But sees the Gray is owned by a company called my Racehorse, and Britt has a couple of shares. Y asked Pauline.
Speaker 15: With two shares, he's, uh, he should win about nine hundred and thirty dollars and he's his investment was about one ninety six.
Speaker 2: Right, he's having a good year. Divin it's a good return. Yeah, good return. Let me see art in California, High are what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hi Dad, taking my call?
Speaker 16: Yeah, HIOPO five soft. So the Rangers won the World Series and we have a good chance that the Stars and the Mavericks to win. Yep, that's three Dallas teams winning.
Speaker 12: What what do you guys think the odds are on that?
Speaker 16: And you know what, I'd love to hear one of your favorite callers, and he's always great when he's on the air, Shane irvings that his Cowboys can't contribute to that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well. On the last Gambling podcast, Shade didn't have high hopes for the Cowboys this year. But you're right, Art, you know, congratulations on Dallas. That's great with the Stars got the Mams Texas Rangers, although they technically are in Arlington. I mean, not to be a buzzkill, but like in the vicinity, yeah, seton.
Speaker 7: I feel like there have been places that have had multiple championships quite a few times, right, like yeah, but maybe Boston has had that like the same year though, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: It feels like the Bruins, Red Sox.
Speaker 7: Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots had a span where men I feel like they might have hit all four. Yeah, maybe, but it might not have been you know, it might have like like carried over from like one to the next year kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, in a calendar year, if you want to use that definition. There's a few recently twenty twenty Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Lightning, twenty twenty, the Lakers and the Dodgers, Greater Boston Area Patriots Red Sox and eighteen Patriots Red Sox and four.
Speaker 2: Have we had three three in a calendar season year? I'm checking. I mean, how many cities have three teams, first of all, and how many cities have three teams that are actually good? We're checking there.
Speaker 15: You got to go like the there's some like smaller sports that were included.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just talking about the four majors. Yeah, now I can't find that. Sean in Kansas, I Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 17: Hey, guys, thanks for taking my call again. I appreciate it. I don't know if it's a best or worse. My dad is a Suns fan and I'm a Suns fan. I didn't know how you guys felt about this, but when the Timberwolves eat the Suns, I automatically start rooting for the Timberwolves. I do that with any team. That way, I can say, well, at least we lost to the champions. But my dad gets really angry and says I want them to get sweat because he's he's just spiteful. So I didn't know how you guys are.
Speaker 2: I would rather my team the team that beat my team that they went on to win, because then I would say, all right, you know, we stack up pretty well with the team that won the title I got. But I don't root for a team anymore. I stop rooting when I went to ESPN. But when I I was a fan rooting, then you'd be like, all right, they beat us. I hope they go all the way, because then I know we went toe to toe with them.
Speaker 10: Yes, Mark, am I crazy. I love it when my team isn't in a major championship. You're stress free. Last year watching the forty nine ers was so stressful. When it's the Super Bowl and I could just watch, I just want to see a good game.
Speaker 2: But you don't want that highest of highs.
Speaker 10: No, Okay, I've been getting the lowest of lowses of late regarding forty nine Ers.
Speaker 2: I know, but you're still so you're you would rather not have that possibility of having the highest of highs where you're winning a championship.
Speaker 10: It's weird because I just kind of feel like it is weird. It's stress free. You just kind of watch the championship game of whatever sport.
Speaker 2: Well, why don't you root for Carolina now instead of the Niners. It'll be stress free season. Never mind? Then, yeah, I mean there are ways of own this. If you want to stress free season, you just root for certain teams. I would still want that highest of highs. What that's like, And that's part of being a fan, because you know, you put so much, you're invested so much, you're attached so much. That's why it hurts so much. But if you ever got that win, incredible? Is that all right? We'll take a break. Jim Jackson will join us, our good buddy. More phone calls coming up, and we'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 18: Pollie Foosco here with Tony Fusco, you know as the host of the number one rated Paully and Tony Fusco show. We get tons and tons of fan mail every day, piles of it. In fact, Tony, why don't you open up one of those letters right now and read what's inside?
Speaker 19: Hey, listen to this. Dear Paulie and Tony, your sports takes the dumbest and most Wait wait, why open this other one? Yeah, Paulie and Tony, you suck more than anyone. Wait try this one, yea, Paulie and Tony, you guys are the absolute best. There you go, coming up with the stupidest take.
Speaker 14: Forget this.
Speaker 18: Just listen to the Fall and Tony Fusco Show on the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all good, buddy. Jim Jackson, Fox Turner, NBA analyst, first fourth overall picked by the Maps in the nineteen ninety two draft, played fourteen seasons in the league, and he joins us from his car. All right, let's play guess the car that Jim Jackson is driving, Todd, I'll start with you. Cadillac Escalator like escalate, all right, see O'Connor that, Oh man, I don't know about the shape of that.
Speaker 7: It looks maybe like land Rover issue. I'm gonna go with the g Wagon like the Boss.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Uh, Marvin, you want to guess, we can just go with range Rover. All right, Paulie off the board. It looks like a big car Lincoln Navigator. I'm gonna go Range Rover.
Speaker 12: Jim, Marvin must have been a brother, right because marbur knew it right away. He said it was brain drover. He knew you got it right.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, I think way man. Let me check, Marvin, are you still a brother? He said, you might have been a brother still in Okay, Yeah, yeah, Marve.
Speaker 5: He answered it real quick with authority, like you already knew that way back in the day.
Speaker 12: You knew what the Caddy was just you knew coming around the corner just by looking at the tail lights about a grill before it was a caddy.
Speaker 5: You already knew.
Speaker 2: What was the first car you got when you got paid?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 5: It was a BMW seven fifty.
Speaker 2: So that was at Ohio State.
Speaker 12: No, No, that was when I got paid when I went to the That was good.
Speaker 5: That was good.
Speaker 12: Now technically still at Ohio State that I declared for the draft. Okay, I see that great education prevared me for that one.
Speaker 5: That was a good one.
Speaker 2: Let me start with last night's game. At what point did this game change in your opinion in Minnesota go on to win.
Speaker 12: Probably when Minnesota, Minnesota was able to cut the league, you know, being down twenty at a half time and I was out running around with my son yesterday on daddy duties, but being able to And it's a funny thing, Dan, It's like momentum. They say it doesn't exist, Yes, no, but it does mentally, especially when you're able to cut into a lead in the third quarter and feel good about yourself going in the fourth quarter. Because mentally you're like, the game can change so quickly where it goes from a twenty point deficit down to ten and you're like, oh, that's only four or five possession. You know, we're right back in the game. And I I think that's where things kind of took a turn, because even though it was a twenty point game, it didn't feel like Minnesota was out of it, Like, you know, they cut it down to seventeen sixteen, went back up to twenty, so they.
Speaker 5: Were right there.
Speaker 12: But I thought, you know, going into the fourth Minnesota was in a really good position. You streamed together, some stops, make some shots, you cut it under ten, and now the pressure is on Denver to have to win.
Speaker 5: That at home.
Speaker 2: I'm also when I watched Anthony Edwards that you know, shooters shoot, but at some point you realize you've got to help the team in a different way. I mean, he's twenty two, and then all of a sudden they put him on Jamal Murray and defense won that game last night. Second half. Defense won that game, and I and they needed to have other weapons kind of fill in the gray area there. I kept waiting for Karl Anthony Towns like somebody had to be that second best guy, and they actually got you know, a lot more of a collective unit. I don't know how sustainable that is. This is a team built to beat Denver. Is this a team that is also built to beat Dallas?
Speaker 5: Well, let's go back to this.
Speaker 12: The team is built in a way where it doesn't have to rely on one particular player. I think the biggest jump from from Minnesota this year to last years a couple of things, not the biggest, but a couple of things. One, you had a full Mike camp Conley for training camp. I think that kind of you saw you know. No, no, it's not like the offense was in the top ten all year. But he gives you a certain about sustainability on the on the offense, when you need to get a basket, you need to get into a set, you need to get set up. He provised in for you that's what you need in particular in the game seven on the row when you need to make a basket.
Speaker 5: But I do believe too.
Speaker 12: With Kat changing his mindset last year was it was a lot of things going on, a lot of disrupt he and Anthony Edwards, he and Rudy Gobert. But I think Kat did an excellent job this year of kind of accepting the secondary role but still knowing that he could be very effective and will be needed. Even combined that with Jade McDaniel and to kill Alexander now os Reed and what those guys are they able to do. This gives you a really complete team. Now the channels are going to have, you know, against Dallas. Dallas is going to try to spread them apart. That's what you do with side. You want to spread that side and then attack individually. But I'll tell you what, man, It's something about this team. Chris Finch is an excellent job and the organization of kind of plugging and piecing together quality guys with Anthony being able to be the leader at a young age.
Speaker 5: But it's just his demeanor. He just doesn't care.
Speaker 12: He wants to play defense, he wants to pass, he wants to score, he wants to be the best. It's something about this Minnesota tea. Will this be the year? I don't know, but I'll tell you what I'm I'm having a hell of a time watching him play.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jim Jackson, Fox and Turner NBA analyst, I also kind of scolded people. If you're gonna say Anthony Edwards reminds you of Michael Jordan, then don't give up on him when you know they had to win the last two games. Now, if you believe he truly is a reincarnation of Jordan, or at least the embryonic stages, then you know he can do this because we didn't doubt Jordan. And that's why I said, don't doubt Anthony Edwards. He can do this. But the confidence level at twenty two, did you ever run into somebody where you go, man? They got way too much confidence at an early age.
Speaker 5: AI. Oh yeah, A, I was like that, Alan Iberson. I mean it was.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 12: It's funny because I go back to when Anthony was in high school. Steve Smith, who works for Turner DNT, played at Michigan State, played the NBA. We were together a few times in Atlanta and he said, Jim, I got this young fella right here in Atlanta that I've been helping, you know, mentor there's yet a rough upbringing a little bit, but he got something in him. He's just different. He just built different. His mentality is different.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 12: I said, okay, let me keep an eye on me, you know. And I saw he went to Georgia and I could tell. I said, you won't be able to tell what kind of player he can be until he gets out of college. But his mentality is just so different, and it's lovable as likable. He is who he is. One thing about it. He's not caught up into that I know of himself. He knows how good he is. He'll tell you how good he is. But it's not overbearing. It's not overbearing to his teammates, to the coaching staff because he's willing to listen.
Speaker 5: He's willing to.
Speaker 12: Learn, and that's something you cannot teach. It has to be within you. And he's going to compete. I don't care who it is on the court. You So, I'm going at kd a song, going at Yoking Seaw, I'm going at Murray. He's gonna go ahead, he said, I can't wait. I want to guard Hyrie. How many of the young players dan accept wait? One want that challenge? Accept it and then if it doesn't work, it's on me, my bad. I'm not pointing a finger at everybody else trying to pass to blame.
Speaker 5: It's on me. You don't see that, And I think that's what makes him so special. Man.
Speaker 2: He's cocky but likable and.
Speaker 5: Yes, and he's right. When Berkeley played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you liked him even though he was cocky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 12: He gave you some great quote. And that's what and that's what and that's what Anthony is. He told he told Chuck, bring your ass, bring you to Minnesota.
Speaker 2: You know, did the Knicks have a good season.
Speaker 12: Yeah, in an outstanding season. If you detern the Knicks fans organization, you're a game away from getting to the Eastern Conference Finals at the beginning of the year. They would have took that all day long. So it's a matter of perspective. They'd have told you that that Jalen Brunton, would have been in the conversation for MVP, that Josh Hart and Dante Deepenchendo. But eventually it came off the bench would be your starters and had this kind of impact. They would have bought that all day long. Put your perspective change. When you start to have a little success, get a little ingredient, said no, we should have no. No, no, This right here, despite the injuries, was a very successful You could feel the energy in the garden through the TV man. It was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: How much pressure is on the Celtics.
Speaker 12: A lot because no Jokic is in there, no Durant, no Lebron, especially with Tatum and Brown is not Taylor made for them to win it. But it's They've been the Eastern Conference and you can't take that for granted on how difficult that is to get that thing. Jayden Brown has been there six times and Tatum five times, down to the Eastern Conference frontal and you know people say it like, oh, with this another Eastern Conference finals, Like if nothing mess stop it. It's extremely difficult, difficult to go through an eighty two game season and get to the Eastern or Western Conference finals right before championship. But again, it's expectation and it is an opportunity for this team to kind of set the table. Indiana's gonna be tough then now they're not gonna roll over. But I think a lot of people I think that I don't know what the odds did you see the odds busting with tinber lost but they lost? How how much did it go up? Because they were already favored there?
Speaker 2: But much of the increase big big favorite? Yeah, yeah, certainly over the Pacers and you know decent uh favored over the Timberwolves.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but how do you deal with two? The question is going to be taking it one game at a time. Let's get through the Eastern Conference finals and then get to the finals and worry about the finals. Then, Okay, that's that's that has to be the goal, and you want to get through that. I'm gonna say rather quickly, say five or six games. You know, I think this Dallas series may go to seven.
Speaker 2: We were talking about painful sports moments like would you rather have physical pain in your body or the pain of what happens when your team loses.
Speaker 12: Physical physical I can't watch right now the Elite eight game when we lost the mision for some reason. Dan, When it comes on, I'm hoping for a different result, but it does not happen. We always end up moving it over time that shot by Trinz goes in and I get a chance to get to a Final four. The mental part stays anytime I and I'm blessed to do with Turner the Elite eight, Sweet sixteen, and every year when I get to that point, I dig back into the memory banks and the feeling of what if what if you know, we beat Michigan twice that year, what if we win that game and just get to a Final four?
Speaker 5: What would that feel like? Injuries? I've been through it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the pain and but that feeling right there, Dan, it never leaves bro, never leave.
Speaker 2: You faced Duncan in the Spurs later in your career.
Speaker 12: You got them early, Oh I mean in the playoffs, yeah, oh, in the playoffs yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But when you liked did you understand Duncan's greatness when you saw it?
Speaker 5: Well, it was.
Speaker 12: It was twofold, my first time. It was the year they wanted ninety eight ninety nine lockout your report. So that was my sixth six year in the league, sixth year in the league, seven sitting ninety eight, So six years in you could see that this young man was skilled. I think that was his second year because he and Rashid were kind of going at it, and and that year David Robinson played well. But you could tell this this young man and you you question, like, okay, you have center. Is he a power for it? I mean, what is he? He's so skilled. But then I got a chance to meet him again when I was later in my career, when he had evolved so much and already won championships when I was with Phoenix, and just watched that evolution of a guy just going to work about his business so tough. I'm like, what do you take away? And he became a better free throw shooter, so before you could follow him, put him to the line and you know he may make one out of two and you okay late in the game situation, No, I mean, and he just went about his business in a professional manner that it was hard to talk get to him. It's hard to get him right because he wouldn't. He'd just give that stare looking. He's like, man, I'm just wasting my time and it ain't even worth it. Man, it ain't not even worth it.
Speaker 2: But who's the player you played against? Where you go, I don't know how he's doing it? Like, I don't get it, because there are certain certain times you'll watch, like Brunson and he's putting up forty four Joker, you'll watch and you go, I don't know how he's doing or Lucas putting up sixty and twenty and you're going, I don't know. They're just certain players that you go, I don't I don't get it. Was there a yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 5: Guy, Yeah it is.
Speaker 12: I'm trying to think of who during my time period because it was so many and it's not the star.
Speaker 5: It's just.
Speaker 12: Man' that's a great I had to get back to you on that one. That's a great question because the stars are going to be a star. You're like, even with he's so down on it and he understands the game he's and he had a ball in his hands, you go put numbers up. You're talking about the guy that you're looking at, like, oh man, not athletic, probably you know, probably doesn't have height, but yet and still that's a good question. I had to get back to you on that one. Old age Dan old age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm catching up to you. I'm catching up to you know. I looked up to you when I was growing up in Ohio and just want to like, you know.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. Yeah, mighty days. What was your mascot of Jaysville?
Speaker 2: H Well, I was only born in Zanesville. I grew up right by King's Island.
Speaker 12: Yeah, oh yeah, Mason. That's the problem. See, that's the problem. See because Cedar Points is a lot better than King's Gold bro. Sorry, we would never go to King guy.
Speaker 2: I would never go to Cedar Point unless I was about to steal your girlfriend.
Speaker 5: Well that's see, that's your problem. See you did.
Speaker 12: You didn't expand your rides enough, because what did you We had the Gemini and the Demon dropping all of that to the point which you have You had one roller, big, big, that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was yeah. We were the Mason comics. We were the Mason No, don't, don't, don't don't. You had to grow up around Cleveland. Man. No Toledo, man, well, same thing, that same thing. Don't don't break. Don't give me a brag on Toledo.
Speaker 5: Damn did you? Did you know history? Lesson this this because you want to know, I know you do.
Speaker 12: In the forties and fifties, big banking area, Toledo, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, those areas were hugs because of water rail banking.
Speaker 5: Not Cincinnati, you know, not Columbus. You know that dating Toledo, Well.
Speaker 2: That's great to know that it was in the forties and fifties. That has nothing to do with now.
Speaker 5: But that's when you were born. So I was just saying.
Speaker 2: Again, I looked up to you when you were at Ohio State, and I go, I want to be that good and get paid that much money when I'm in college too.
Speaker 5: College.
Speaker 12: You know what?
Speaker 2: How about that Elite eight game? Remember when Jim Jackson was in the Elite eight against Michigan and they pull that video.
Speaker 12: Paulill It, I would never come back on the show.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, man, Thanks for joining us. That's Jim Jackson, Fox and Turner NBA analyst and UH spent fourteen years in the league. The Association will take a break. Last call for phone calls? What we learned, What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls?
Speaker 5: What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 5: This day?
Speaker 2: In sports? Game seven tonight, that'll be fun any of those games, but you put a Game seven in there, and Stanley Cup playoffs, that's that's awesome. Let me see a couple of phone calls, Jay in West Virginia. Jay, been holding a while? What's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 14: But?
Speaker 5: Amen?
Speaker 20: Hey, I don't really have a worst. I got two bests. The first best was Saturday. I was a Caxino playing poker and I was up a few hundred, and my mother passed away in October. She always been on the Grays. So I put one hundred on seas the Gray, which paid I think a thousand at the nine to one, I believe. So I took the nine hundred and I parlayed it back on basketball, which I never do, and I had three hundred on the Pacers money line. Three hundred on Wolves money line, and then I did the two together as a parlay at the three hundred.
Speaker 2: So how much do we make?
Speaker 9: Jay?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 18: Well, if I family is gonna come out of the wood looking for me, it's gonna find me if I actually tell you.
Speaker 12: But look, I took the week off, so.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Jay.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 2: By the way, we have the worst gambling podcast in America. That's what we should call it, The Guys who Gamble? Yeah all right, yeah, yes, that and we should change it from Dan Patrick takes a gamble too. These are the worst gamblers in America, Shay and Irving Dylan and also bad Larry. They're not very good gamblers. They have they have moments. But I think you could make a lot of money betting against the guys who are telling you who to bet on. Uh Bergie and Florida. Hey BURGI welcome back.
Speaker 12: Thanks Dan.
Speaker 9: Just before I get to mind real quickly, on just the back of the envelope, math here on his three hundred dollars parlay alone without the other two bets. That's at least like five six grand on a three hundred dollars parlay on the two underdogs, but maybe more on mine. I just wanted to clarify. When you guys are talking about twenty five hundred shareholders, so you do the math that way. That's the number of shareholders, but the number in the horse, the number of shares is five thousand shares, so it actually be half the amount you were saying per share. Okay, So twenty five hundred people in five thousand shares, and I did the math on that, they actually paid one hundred and twenty seven dollars each per share, So it's about a six hundred and thirty five thousand dollars horse that they paid for.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you Bergie doing the math there. When we started, I told the dan Enz they didn't have to do math, and they were fine with that. But you're gonna have stud fees for a horse that won the Preakness. Stephan in Texas, Hey, Stepan.
Speaker 21: Adp Hey first round, longtime, six foot two thirty. Hey wanted to say, as a Falcons fan that twenty eight to three it does never leave you. Not only do your friends constantly bring it up to you, but it also just there and it eats at you in the back of your mind. They say, all wounds heal of time. No, that's a lie recovered from this one.
Speaker 2: Thank you Bud. Brian in Virginia, Hey Brian.
Speaker 8: Hey Dan. To follow that up, I've gone as a Broncos thing. I've kind of gone through all that. We've got a heartbreak with a blowout loss in the super Bowl, but then a two years later we win the Super Bowl. The blowout really inercs that you. I mean, you question everything even when your team's doing good. But I will never trade in that feeling at the end, even doubting up till the last second in that Carolina game. I will never trade in that doubt of winning. No one left to beat. All the pain and the heartache is worth it. And to that land of Falcons, you never know Ennis to be your guy and it'll be worth it. And if you believe this much time.
Speaker 2: So thank you Brian. The fact that Marvin wouldn't want his team to get to a championship game because you don't want to go through the pain in if they lose.
Speaker 10: Oh no, no, if they if they're out. I'm not heartbroken over you know what. I'm gonna just watch the Super Bowl or the World Series or whatever. I just enjoyed the game, but.
Speaker 2: You said you would rather have it stress free. That your team doesn't play in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 10: That's that's a silver lining when your team doesn't make it. Trying to be optimistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't get it. I don't get it, Paulie.
Speaker 15: This day in sports history, nineteen forty eight, Joe Demagio hit us for the cycle in his second game that season. Nineteen fifty nine, New York Yankees were in last place for the first time in twenty seasons. Nineteen eighty four, Roger Clemens got his first pro victory OH six, Barry Bonds tied Babe Ruth for second place with home run seven to fourteen. And in twenty fifteen, this is a good one, the NFL announced that extra points where we kicked from the fifteen yard lines starting with a twenty fifteen season.
Speaker 2: That was a big deal. Yeah, affected the play big deal. On this date, nineteen ninety nine, this player became the first player to hit grand slams both ends of a double header. Nineteen ninety nine Grand slam in each of the doubleheaders both games. Marvin Greig Vaughan, Oh, Paul Fernando Tatis, no back row anything, Todd Bonds. No, if you said, Robin Ventura, oh, you would be correct. Would you learn today?
Speaker 1: Todd?
Speaker 12: You don't subscribe to any publicity's good publicity.
Speaker 6: But going to jail may have actually helped Scottie Scheffler.
Speaker 3: Seaton Jim Jackson got a good education, Yes he did. Marvin Jim Jackson said, I must be your brother you used to be. It must have been a Hey, Paulie, what'd you learn, Robin Ventura?
Speaker 2: How about that? Simply save own security. Get twenty percent off any new simply safe system when you sign up for fast Protect monitor. Visit simply safedan dot com. There's no safeg simply safe. That was a quick three hours. Who's with me, Let's stay for another couple hours.