Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: He's Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback, their senior NFL reporter, and he joined joints us from Florida the owner's meetings. There's a lot on the table, a lot on the agenda. Let me start with the tush push. When is that being voted on today?
Speaker 3: I'm they're in the room now doing their votes, so that could come down, you know, anytime I'd say over the next I would say within an hour, an hour and a half will probably know.
Speaker 2: One way or the other. What's your sense? My senses? There's a ton of argument, you know in the room.
Speaker 3: Oh brit and I Oh you know Howie rosemans for the room the other day and basically asked for the injury data and when they said, well, there isn't really any injury data. There haven't been injuries on it, he then said, okay, well give me the difference in injuries between this and a conventional quarterback sneak.
Speaker 2: And they couldn't do that.
Speaker 3: Doctor Allen Sale's the chief medical officer for the lead, then said like, well, you know, we're what we're worried about based on the posture is that this can this could create a catastrophic you know, or a catastrophic head and spine injuries, you know. And then you know, Mike Rabel and Jim Harbaugh actually you know, spoke up and you know, got into what the rule was, how specifically written it is like it's written about you know, it's written in a way where it's you know it it uh, it applies to pushing behind the center. So Rabel asked, well, what if the quarterback is running behind the guard?
Speaker 4: Can you push them?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 3: And Harball came up with the ideas like, well, what if I put to extra alignement And this would be the most Harbaugh formation ever. I think, what if I put two extra linemen behind the guards, had them pushed the guards and not touch the quarterback. So there's been healthy debate. I just think, I I my sense right now, Dan is if the commissioner really wants to get this thing through. And I'm a little more certain where he stands and the kickoffs than I am on this. If if the commissioner really wants to get it through, maybe he tables it and they tweak it and work it a little bit and vote it again. And I don't know that they have the twenty four votes right now to get it through and ban it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my feeling that at first I thought there just felt like there's at this groundswell and all of a sudden, there's a lot of you got to get it out of the game. And then one of my sources said, there's no data, Like they're searching for data that's not there. They're desperate to find that, and therefore, if you don't have that data, it's really hard to say we're going to create a rule, get it rid of a rule because of one team.
Speaker 3: And that's that's my problem with it, you know what I mean, It's like, why should we be getting rid of something because one team is really.
Speaker 2: Good at it? You know, what are the other things that have been or will be decided or voted on today.
Speaker 3: So the overtime, the overtime proposal passed, which basically makes.
Speaker 2: Hold on second, Albert, we've got a little breakup in your connection there, so we'll come back to you, so I'd see if you can help Albert with his connectivity there. By the way, the men's final four the odds Houston was a four and a half point underdog. They're now a five and a half point underdog against Duke, and Florida is still two and a half point favorite against Auburn. Yes, this is a terrible day to be doing all this voting and announcing all the sea April fools.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was just an ESPN just had a thing that said breaking news NFL both teams will get the ball in overtime.
Speaker 2: Well this and that. I didn't even bother reading it all because I'm like, I don't even know if this is true. I really have no idea. Well, you can joke about a lot of things, but nobody wants to joke about the NFL. It just feels like that that makes headlines and people would click on that. Yes, Paulie. One thing Albert said there.
Speaker 5: I didn't know the NFL had the power to do.
Speaker 2: If they don't feel like they had the votes, they could table this.
Speaker 5: To May and look at it again.
Speaker 2: I thought this was like deciding day.
Speaker 5: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just I don't know. It feels like, once again feels like the commissioner wants to take this out of the game. It's predictable esthetically not pleasing. You're in the entertainment business. There's no data that says that, hey, look at all of these injuries, Todd, did we reconnect with Albert. We'll see if it sounds a little bit better. So the overtime rule that was just passed, can you explain that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, like basically, it's going to take what's been playoff overtime the last couple of years and make it overtime across the board. The original proposal actually pushed for a fifteen minute period. They tweaked that and moved it back to being a ten minute period, which I think is interesting because if you're the team that receives the kickoff, well you just immediately go into your four minute offense, right, Like wouldn't you immediately start running the clock. So that could add an interesting dynamic. My guess would be that they wanted to go to ten minute overtime because maybe the broadcast partners don't want to be pushing outside the normal window too far. And then you know, it's like adding place a game, which is a health and safety thing. The Lion's proposal got shot down to to take the automatic first down away from defensive holding an illegal contact, you know, and then the kickoff.
Speaker 4: I think it's the big.
Speaker 5: One or the other big one that that they're going to vote on.
Speaker 2: Here, now, what what is it that they're going to vote on?
Speaker 3: So it's to make the kickoff the obviously the new kickoff that they debuted last year, to make that permanent, and then there are some tweaks to that that they're trying to go through. And my understanding is that Roger really wants more returns. And the good news is, like the injury data that they have supports that this has worked. Is you know, what they're saying is is that the the injury data shows that it's about the same injury right now on a kickoff as you have on a on a on a on a normal play from scrimmage.
Speaker 2: So like that part's good.
Speaker 3: They've feel like too many teams were kicking into the end zone. So you know, like with the touchback being at the thirty, they it's been proposed they moved the touch back to the thirty five. Now, you know, I know some coaches are very against that, and so well, why don't we just move the kicker back five yards? So it's hard for the kicker to reach the end zone, but the goal here for Goodell seems very much to to find a way to create more kickoffs and to get to get more to create more kickoff returns. And you know, I think there's been enough argument about the different formations and again like the different tweaks that I do think there's a chance that Roger will look at this and say we should table this until May and like go and work through all of the tweaks and decide what's right for this year and then vote again.
Speaker 7: On it May.
Speaker 2: What about the onside kick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the on side kick is that would allow and this is just a common set. I don't know why they lied to the fourth quarter. I don't know why they limited.
Speaker 4: It to you have to be behind, to be honest with you, I maybe they they they I mean it is a more dangerous place, and maybe they wanted to, you know, make sure that there were a fewer of them. But yeah, what they would do now is I think you still have to be behind. But but the onside kick would be about in all fourth quarters.
Speaker 3: Obviously you have to declare it because it's a completely different formation and play than than I if I kick off.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. Thank you for spending time Albert anytime, Dane appreciate it. That's Albert Bringer, the Monday Morning quarterback senior NFL reporter. Tried to get a better connection there, but uh, sorry about that, but Albert gonna have a busy day and uh try to have him on again.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 6: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 6: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 8: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 6: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Adam Lefco NBA on TNT Inside the NBA he hosts on Tuesday Night. He's also I got a big podcast with Shank Turner's Sports March Madness studio host. He does it all? Does it all? How's the ego? I mean, you know you're getting a lot of run now, people know your name. You're talking to big time celebrities. Thanks for taking time out for this little show.
Speaker 5: People stop me in the airport. It took a hit in a good way.
Speaker 2: Do they stop you in a good way?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they say, hey, stop running into the idiots. No, my ego took a huge hit after I came in here and I talked about Angel Reese and I argued with you and then the internet did stuff, and then you didn't have me on your show for like eight months, and then I would occasionally text you and be like, man, Caitlyn Clark is so good. Just trying to appease your what I thought was the ego.
Speaker 2: And so no, I just I thought I gotta be honest with you, though, Adam, I didn't know that you were doing it for a reason when you would just randomly sign.
Speaker 5: I wanted to talk to you, Dan, you you.
Speaker 2: Would randomly send me a text going, man, that Caitlin Clark is phenomenal, and I'd be like, yeah, how am I supposed to answer that? Of course she is. Now I understand that you were trying to curry favor or trying to win me back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I rewatched the video and I was like, I think Dan was actually angry and no, so to know that maybe that wasn't the case.
Speaker 2: What was the argument were you? Were you defending Angel Reese and I thought I.
Speaker 5: Was talking Angel Reese. It was like stock was at the very highest, like they had won eight in a row, and I was.
Speaker 9: Like, I don't know, Dan, she might win Rookie of the Year, and you were like, idiot, I've been in sports for seventy years, but I love you and I mission all right, well, glad to have you back.
Speaker 5: You're hoodie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Adam Sandler, Happy Gilmore hoodie.
Speaker 5: Wow. By the way, you got to wear that like what once a month. You can't wear that too often.
Speaker 2: I know I probably gone to it a little too often because you know, people go, yeah, he got the lime green. My daughter's in New York and she's walking along the West Side Highway where they have basketball courts tennis courts. She looks over and she sees somebody in a floral shirt and baggy basketball shorts, and she calls me a FaceTime. She goes, Dad, Adam Sandler is playing a pickup game, and she facetimes me. So I'm watching Sandler for like five minutes on FaceTime, trying to yell at him. And it was, you know, he gathered a crowd there going pickup basketball, and he'll play anywhere with anybody, and he was in town for a charity thing.
Speaker 5: See we're watching We're watching random sixteen year olds on Twitch and there's millions of viewers. We should be streaming the Sandler pickup basketball. I would watch that on a Tuesday at two pm, I'm watching Sandler take down random bags.
Speaker 2: The why I'm in well, he sent me a picture the last time he was played in Lower Manhattan with Timothy Challo May. Yeah, and actually he said Chalomey's gone some game, So I'm like, that makes.
Speaker 5: Sense when I saw that. Timothy Shallamay on two separate interviews, one said his style icon is Kenny the Jet Smith and then said his dream role is playing Ernie Johnson in a biopick. I went, this dude is definitely one of the guys up at one am watching inside. Also, when did it become biopic and not biopicking? When did we make that switch?
Speaker 2: I have a problem with it as well. I thought it was it was biopick, but I've heard you know, and it's.
Speaker 5: Because someone British probably said biopic and we went, well, they're always right?
Speaker 2: Are you okay? With the final four? The Heavyweight, I couldn't love it more.
Speaker 5: I've always been someone where I like, I wish we had more upsets than the round one, but I like all my upsets to happen in the round of sixty four. And then I like amazing basketball because at this point the ratings are going to be higher than they've ever been. The storylines right themselves. I think the Duke Houston game is going to be incredible. I mean, Houston member Jamal shed got hurt last year against Duke in the Sweet sixteen. They went out there, they retooled with u Zan and so the motivation from that side, the seniors versus the stud freshman, and on the other side you get the sec storyline battle that everyone's been obsessed with. This is the best case scenario, just like the twenty seventeen Final four was amazing as well.
Speaker 2: He's Adam lefco NBA on TNT Inside the NBA, also co host of The Big Podcast with Jack Dan Patrick Shut the Hell Up, Turner's Sports March Madness studio host as well. We have already trademarked this. We wanted to do tanking tops for like the Pelicans, they have to wear tanking tops because they're banking for flags.
Speaker 5: Like pennies, like a high school practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you must love them. You have to wear tanking tops in practice because tanking.
Speaker 5: Isn't obvious enough, then, like we need to make it more obvious when they're playing.
Speaker 2: Yes, as we want to shame them. Are the Sixers tanking?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it seems like it. It seems like half the league is tanking because they too are watching the Final Four and seeing Cooper flag. This is the time of the year when everyone tries to solve tanking, and my solve is just watch games like Houston, LA and Minnesota Denver and just don't pay attention to them. I think it's do you change the weight of the lottery? Is if you're not in the lottery? Is everyone got a chance to have the first pick in the draft? It's the same thing. I'm an also an Eagles fan. Ban the tush push. It's I don't know. It just all seems unnecessary and excessive and arguing about, like the parts of sports that you act actually don't care about.
Speaker 2: What's left to be settled. With two weeks to go in the season, so right now.
Speaker 5: The West is a cluster in terms of seating, and I think everyone is either trying to face like if Houston gets the two seed, sort of like we had a few years ago where everyone was jockey to get seven to face Memphis because they were younger. That seems to be the jockey right now. I mean, you have some great teams in the West playing Minnesota's a dangerous team. The Clippers are showing to be a dangerous team. And then in the East, it's right now, one, two, three, looks set and then do the Pacers get the four? Where are the Bucks? That I would love to see? Bucks, Pacers, Piston's Knicks, I think is the best matchup in that middle ground. I don't think anyone's messing with Boston or Cleveland. But on the West, you're trying to avoid the thunder for as long as possible, and you're probably trying to take on Houston because they can't score in a half court offense. And like we saw with Memphis saw those years, you could be great in transition and offensive rebound, but once the playoffs start and it's called differently, if you can't score in a slow down game, they're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Does the success of the Lakers hinge on them playing defense?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: And last night they put up one of three, I would say it is. I would say also it's the other three point shooters. Last night gave Vincent, Dori, Anthony Smith twelve threes combined and put up forty points and so Luca and Lebron are going to do their thing. I don't think we're going to get Austin Reeves dropping thirty points all the time. But who else can hit threes when Luca and Lebron dish? Because Luca's gravitational pull, as you know, is so strong, just like it was in Dallas. You need the Reggie Bullocks. You need those guys on the outside that can hit those three when it matters. Defensively, though, can we rely on lebron weak side blocks and the clutch every game? I don't think. So they went out and tried to trade for Mark Williams, the center for Charlotte, who just went off for another eighteen and thirteen. I don't know what happened with that injury scan, but they showed us right there they needed another big they didn't have it. And that's why for me, the Lakers run is more likely next year.
Speaker 2: The condition more all in on OKAC or Cleveland.
Speaker 5: Okay, See, that was the wrong Eastern Conference team to mention for me. I'm a Boston guy. I think that Boston right now is a little bit like Okac, where I feel like and I don't think they're intentionally arresting. But hey, Jalen Brown, you're off to that, just like Okay, see, hey Jalen Williams takes some more rest Boston right now, I would take over. I just I'm still I'm still I need to see it with Cleveland and I'm just boring like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I and the same thing with Okac. We still need to see it.
Speaker 5: I don't know why I have more faith in Oklahoma City. Maybe it's because and I know, Cleveland battle Boston and battle back, and I beaten Boston. I watched that okay see Boston game a few weeks ago with Chuck, and I was just I was flabbergaston, Like we were just sitting there watching Oklahoma City play defense and typically, like last night, Boston swing swing, swing, and by the fourth swing they caught you in a in a bad defensive shift. But Oklahoma City is five guys that can all switch. It's Lou Door, It's Caruso, both of their bigs, you know, Chetton Hartenstein can switch. And I think against Boston, you need to have that position versatility, and I think they have it, and I think, I don't know. I trust Dagnal a lot. I trust I do trust the thunder even though they haven't done it.
Speaker 2: Who's more interesting when the camera's not on Barkley or Shack?
Speaker 5: Interesting in different ways. Tuck is, so Chuck will go out in public and we'll interact with everybody, which I find in endeering but also wildly annoying because you're never going to get the story finished. So then Adam, as I was telling you, the key to life is, Oh, you want a picture? Okay, can you send them around to drinks? Yeah? Where are you from? Honey? That's great? And you're like where Shack is like, we're going to go into a private room by ourselves, and he's gonna you know, Shaq is going to tell you business stories about how he walked into a boardroom and was like, I'm sure, whereas Chuck is going to tell you a story about you know, Barcelona in ninety two. Very different people, but they're the best when they're together. You know, they're like they're peanut Butter and Jail.
Speaker 2: I like though that Chack didn't want money from a company he wanted part of the company he wanted.
Speaker 5: And now Chuck is finally in his equity bag. You know, now he's got Redmont and vodka and he's got all of this company beast. I want to know, you know, there's a there's a chill that goes through the halls of TNT when we get an alert that says Charles Barkley on the Dan Patrick Show today, And I just want to know, like, is this like the Manchurian candidate. Do you have like a little node in the back of his brain where you get him to say anything like what have you done to this man? How have you controlled his brain?
Speaker 2: One of the first times I met him, I did a Sunday conversation when he was fill Still No he was with Phoenix, although I did meet him when he was with the seventy six ers, But he talked about being a woman and I so we had somebody at ESPN kind of make him up as a woman and we use the picture on the Sunday conversation with him, and he got the biggest kick out of that. And then I like I would just see him and he stayed in touch, and it's always feels like like that's our normal conversation. If I'm around Reggie Miller, that'd be a normal conversation around Charles, normal conversation. So all I try to do is bring normalcy to something that isn't normal, and that's an interview over Zoom and Shack falls or Charles falls for it every time.
Speaker 5: It's I think he loves he loves talking to people. He loves to talk to is one. Both of those two people are are top two in terms of love being themselves. Chuck loves being Chuck and Shack loves being Shack, and they've earned that. But Chuck to a tea like last night, I thought would be funny because I hit a parleg and C and T and Chuck has yet to hit one this year, and that was my second, and so I was like, let me FaceTime. Chuck will understand, I know, and he picked it up and I knew I was in trouble then when he had his clear glasses and they were towards the edge of his nose, because as Chuck is out, they get further and further down, and then the talking gets louder and louder, and so I tried and he he got me, and then I facetied him afterwards, and all I heard was like ten dudes laughing, and I was like, where are you? He was like, oh, I'm out with the fellas. We were watching you, and when I saw you facetimed me, I was like, you knew and you still tried to end my life and he was like, yeah, yeah, that's that's Chuck Man language. He's the goat.
Speaker 2: Great job. I hope you're having fun.
Speaker 5: I'm having a blast. Can I ask you for advice?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Did you ever cover like tennis, like extensively or just sportsinging?
Speaker 2: I reported on it, don't like the US Open, but I didn't do anything where it was, you know, like Chris Baller calling matches.
Speaker 5: Oh no, never come. We're hosts, Dan, We're not played by people. They're a whole weird. They like being on the road and staying in the counter lodges. That's not our lives. We like cushiness. We like someone that comes and puts our if feedback.
Speaker 2: Are you going to be a host?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm at the point where I'm thinking, you know, I'm sorry to do March Madness, and I'm thinking about other sports? What about baseball, about tennis? Things like that? How what is when you start to go okay, I'm going to throw myself into another sport. I'm going to really study and learn. How do you how do you Dan Patrick, one of the greatest of all time, how do you throw yourself into a new sport?
Speaker 2: I throw it. I go into the deep end, but I go into the deep end with people who have been with the sport for a long long time, so they are my floaties. I'm in the deep end. But I have these guys Mike Millberry. When I did hockey, you know, you can just ask these guys. There's so many guys that, especially in that sport who want to help you, and that helped me greatly when I went to the Olympics. You throw yourself in with Bob Costace and al Michaels I have the greatest and you know, so now I just take I just listen. But if you're going to do that, be around people who have done this because they want to know if you're real or not. They and I just go in and I just say, hey, as if I don't know anything, help me understand these things. And you'll be amazed at how much help that you like. Doc Emrick, I just wanted to know how much he like, why do you love the game so much? And he gave me that Costas with the Olympic and get you know, you work so hard, you know, consecutive days. It's a grind working the Olympics. But he said, you'll get like it'll hit you and you'll get caught up in it and you'll just be on overdrive. You'll just be on adrenaline. And it was great. You know, those are very very beneficial. But as a result, I'm doing that now. When Tony Dungee and Rodney Harrison came in to football tonight, I said, I I want you to put your egos to the side. I'm going to help you learn TV. You know football, I'm going to help you with TV. And I think that's the important part is you can play a role to other you know, people coming up, but people will play a role with you to help you understand the nuance certain things you say and don't say. Terminology is really big. If somebody says, oh, you're in the bunker or you're in the sand trap, well it's like you get the you know, people who will watch the sport, he will go be, Oh, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Oh he's out at home base. No, it's home place. You know, Silly things like that. But the more you're around people who love the sport and they're almost watchdogs, lifeguards for it, that'll help you. I think it was beautiful.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you, Dan. And hey, Caitlyn Clark MVP. Baby, you got it this year, Dan, this is the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think she's finally gonna get the credit that she's due.
Speaker 5: I just wish people would pay more, you know. I just feel like they need to watch her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: I don't know where they're going to watch her or find her. I don't know if she's got any national TV, but she deserves.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lefko, Love you. That's Adam Lefko.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Let's bringing Jeff Pains into the mother Ship. How did we get here, Jeff? Where torpedo bats are all of a sudden, all the rage? When was the first torpedo bat used in Major League Baseball in.
Speaker 7: The twenty twenty four season. I believe it was John Carlos sam And you know when he had that October that he had last year in seven home runs fourteen games, and like, I feel like a clown honestly that I didn't notice it because it's such a different implement right like you see it, especially with Jazz Chisholm. It just looks different, and clearly it's hitting different for some of these Yankees players. And fifteen home runs over the first three games. It's I mean, it was quite the showing by that team.
Speaker 2: What is the approval process for something like this that using this bat and then getting Major League Baseball to sign off on it.
Speaker 7: It's actually a lot simpler than you would think. There are forty one manufacturing companies that are allowed by Major League Baseball's approval process to make bats, and as long as you have bats within specific specs, it can't be longer than forty two inches, the battle can't be bigger than two point sixty one inches in diameter, the handle has to be I think point eighty six inches.
Speaker 5: As long as within those.
Speaker 7: Parameters and it remains a smooth cylinder. You can kind of distribute the wait however you want. And honestly, I'm surprised that it took this long for it to happen because the logic behind it that Aaron Leonard, who's now a coach with the Miami Marlins and was with the Yankees at the time, and as an MIT educated physics professor, like the logic that he had.
Speaker 5: It's kind of simple.
Speaker 7: Imagine a bat as something where you have a wood budget, right, you have a specific amount of weight and mass to distribute over this implement.
Speaker 5: How do you want to spend your budget?
Speaker 7: Where do you want to put the majority of the wood or the majority of the mass. It kind of makes sense to put it where you strike the ball most frequently, and that's about six or seven inches down from the end of the bat. And you know, it's it's like, this is such a baseball thing because we're caught up in the idea of what the is supposed to look like. And yet we're in an era where teams are looking for every tiny, minuscule marginal advantage imaginable because they understand that that one percent might be the difference between them winning a game and not winning a game.
Speaker 5: And so for them to do this, it was.
Speaker 7: Really just a matter of time. And more than that, this reminds me a lot of back when the Rays started using the opener. Right like any other organization you would have tried to do that with the pictures of what we're going to start a relief picture.
Speaker 5: What's what's the point of this? Like you need buy in.
Speaker 7: And that's where Aaron Leonard started this whole process. He went to players and he said, Okay, how do we counteract the incredible pitching that exists in baseball right now?
Speaker 5: Like what can we do? What would you like?
Speaker 7: And the players all got back to him and they said the same thing, we would like, like a bigger sweet spot. And so that's what they did. They went out and they made a bet or mouse trapped.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it's available for everybody, correct.
Speaker 7: Totally, absolutely, it's be I mean, we saw it with La Bella Cruz last night. You know, I had talked with a couple of bat manufacturers yesterday, like they've been preparing for this, Like they went around during spring training this year, and there was a whole lot more intrigue among players beyond just the Yankees, to the point where you know, all.
Speaker 5: Of them, all of the major ones.
Speaker 7: At least have the ability to now turn a bat like this on their leads.
Speaker 5: And so this is going to answer the poll question.
Speaker 7: This is going to be common, and this is going to be something that is the new normal in baseball now.
Speaker 5: Is everyone going to use it?
Speaker 7: No, of course not, because bats are all about feel. And if a guy orders a torpedo bat and he's all in on it and then he goes over six, you know, he might say, I'm going to throw this into the woodpile, burn it.
Speaker 5: I don't ever want to see it again.
Speaker 7: But guys who were finding success this early, they're they're going to lean into it. And I think I'm not going to say this is directly attributable to the torpedo bat, But it would not surprise me to see an increase in offense in baseball this year on account of better equipment and baseball.
Speaker 2: Can't you have a problem with that if there's more often No.
Speaker 7: No, it's just it's always a matter of balance, right, Like we've seen this in sports in the past. You know, when Stan Makita curves is stick back in the nineteen sixties and Bobby Hall was using a curve stick as well, the NHL had to put rules into place on curvature because too much imbalanced the game.
Speaker 5: When we saw.
Speaker 7: Swimmers wearing those full body suits in the Olympics and they were breaking world records all over the place. It's like, Okay, is this is this where we want our sport to go to a place where technology is not just taking over, but taking it to an area that we never imagined and that throws off that natural balance.
Speaker 5: So still was.
Speaker 7: Always monitoring that sort of thing, but considering where offense sam has gone in recent years, yeah, they can use an injection of it because pitching is so damn good these days.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jeff Passing, the ESPN Senior Baseball insider, speaking of pitching, I was wondering, I'm always of I guess the awareness of things will come back around, like rushing attempts in the NFL, like the running back would come back, and we saw that last year. I'm wondering if there's going to be a comeback for a starting pitcher but he's not starting a game. Let's say I start a game with relievers, but I get to the fourth inning, and now I bring in a guy who's built for the rest of the game. Because some pitchers like Mariona Rivera was not a starting pitcher, but he became the greatest closer of all time. Certain guys are really good at closing other guys. You know, hurt Shilling wasn't a good closer, became a great starter. So I wonder, could you see somebody who still keeps the love the workhorse pitcher in baseball.
Speaker 5: I think here's the flaw of that specific argument. I do believe to be clear that there is room for a workhorse starting pitcher.
Speaker 7: Still, I think it's going to take an organization that has a risk profile that trends more toward risky, because you know, pitchers get hurt, like that's the thing.
Speaker 5: But the issue I have with bringing a guy in in.
Speaker 7: The fourth inning is that by the time he's in the eighth or ninth, he's going to be going the third time through the order, right, And the beauty of relief pitching is that it's a new look, that you haven't gotten a chance to see this guy, and it's brand new stuff, and.
Speaker 5: You don't know what's humming that day, and you don't know.
Speaker 7: What might be a mediocre pitch that day, Like it's a fresh start. Whereas if you have that starter in in the fourth ending, you know the starter in the fourth inning, and bring him in by the end, he's going to be more hired generally, you know, unless you're like Prime justin Verland or the chrispness of your pitches are not quite the same in the latter innings as they were in the former. So and especially because those eighth and ninth innings are the highest leverage spots in the game, Like every run matters, right, A run in the first is equivalent to a run in the ninth. But when those twenty seven outs start taking down to twenty four and twenty one and eighteen and down to you know, nine and six and three, there's more value in that. There's more opportunity to win the game at that point, and that's when you want your freshest arms as opposed to guys who have been grinding through for one hundred pitches.
Speaker 2: What do we call the A's.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm happy to call them the West Sacramento A's, Like I know they don't want that, but we tend to have this thing in American sports where you have the city and then the nickname and not having one of those things, even with like the Reds concerning it to the Washington football team, like there's something after the city. So not acknowledging or recognizing the city. Outside of a patch on your shoulder, it's bush. But you know, that's kind of how the A's operate. It's some bush organization and they you know, they're squatting in a minor league ballpark for three years right now, and it's super weird. And that is the expected consequence of twenty years of failure to build a stadium where frankly they should have and where a stadium was warranted. But John Fisher wanted to go to Vegas, and I like, I get it. There's money to be made there, there's a stadium to be built there, but it's going to be a weird interim period.
Speaker 5: In the meantime.
Speaker 2: I hope they get to host a playoff game.
Speaker 5: Me too. I am with you on that. Did you see the media attend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look good, look very accommodating. We're calling them the Triple A's, so oh, I like that.
Speaker 7: But they're better than that. That's like, they're going to be a decent team this year.
Speaker 2: Here's a stat for you before I let you go. In nineteen ninety five, Tony Gwynn had five hundred and eighty five plate appearances. He struck out fifteen times. Yeah, in twenty twenty five, Rafael Deverral has struck out fifteen times in nineteen at bats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could, you know, I love those numbers.
Speaker 7: I also think that comparing anyone to Tony Gwynn is badly unfair, because that guy, he was one of the kind.
Speaker 5: And I you know, I love modern baseball.
Speaker 7: I would love to drop Tony Gwynn into twenty twenty five to see what he.
Speaker 5: Would look like like.
Speaker 7: Would he have at all embraced the notion of launch angle and the exit velocity year? Would he just be like Luisa Riyes, perfectly happy to go around and just bat three twenty every year.
Speaker 2: I think Gwynn would probably bat three twenty, but he would hit thirty home runs.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he hit twenty home runs. And I mean, this is a guy who stole fifty bases in a season. I think he hit twenty home runs. I remember Wade bogs telling me if they want me to hit, if they wanted me to hit home runs, I would hit home runs. But there's no better guy in taking a ball to left field than Wade Boggs was. And that's what he was.
Speaker 5: Paid to do. And that's this goes full circle.
Speaker 7: Them with the torpedo bats, because the thing is when you redistribute the wood down to the sweet spot, that means there's less wood in other areas of that that do like make contact with the ball right. And so this is players saying that I am going to deprioritize contact for hard contact. I'm going to give up some of those balls that are just a little bit off the sweet spot in order for the other ones to be doubles and triples in home runs.
Speaker 5: And it's a.
Speaker 7: Very simple reason, because slug pays, and if you can hit the ball for power and have a high slugging percentage, you are going to get paid in arbitration, you are going to get paid in free agency. You are going to end your career in a much better position financially. Then somebody goes out and hits three twenty with a low slugging percentage.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you as always, Thank you, Jeff.
Speaker 7: Pleasure is mine, dam and the lime green my god.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, saying that's great,