Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy di Dario, so today's guest. Oh man, she brings so much joy to the world and to experience her beautiful spirit up close and personal, h it was such a treat. The talented actress Melissa Peterman joins my show today. Who you know and you love from so many beloved roles, but you most likely fell in love with her from her role in the smashit television series Riba, where she worked alongside the one and only Reba McIntyre. Of course, so all is right in the world again because she's teaming up with her friend in the NBC comedy Happy's Place, which just got renewed for season two because that's how popular it is now. Not only did she reunite with Riba for Happy's Place, but she reunited with the Riba team of writers to make some magic come to life in a completely different and new, unique story. And if you haven't seen Happy's Place yet, here's the cliff Notes version. Follow me here. It's about a tough and lovable woman. That's who Riba plays who and it's her late father's Tennessee tavern to well only then discover her new co owner is also the half sister that she never knew she had. Yeah, did you get all that? And Melissa plays Gabby, who's worked at the tavern for quite some time. And let me tell you, Melissa's character is a total vibe. But here's what I love about this series. It's about three women that are definitely in all different places in their lives, and on paper they seem so opposite, but in reality, well, they all have some pretty important things to learn from each other. It's a show full of so much heart. And do you want to know how much I love hanging out with Melissa? So much so that I am embarrassed to admit I invited myself on her next vacation with Reba because that's how much I enjoyed her company. I didn't want to leave her. We laughed, we cried, and we had many heartfelt moments in this conversation that you're about to hear. So let's see if today we can get Melissa to say something that she has never said before. Melissa, Hi, I am so happy to see you. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great? Thanks?
Speaker 1: You are like radiating right now.
Speaker 2: Well, it only took a mirror, I don't know. Two and a half hours and I just start to radiate.
Speaker 1: Well, there we go. Welcome to New York.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I love it here.
Speaker 1: You love it here, I really do.
Speaker 2: I still, in my mind have that thought that someday I'll have a little place here and I can come and just see five shows in a weekend and be there. But I don't know if that's in the cards. You have to be really young and willing to live with like ten people, or extremely wealthy. I think to maneuver New York, right, it could be.
Speaker 1: A tough city. It can be a tough city, but it's a good city.
Speaker 2: But it is, and I really I love love being here.
Speaker 1: Well, we're happy to have you. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've already fallen in love with you because I was looking at your Instagram and I came across a video where Reba came to set and announced the season two pickup of Happy Place. Yeah, and your reaction was so sweet. You have the biggest goofiest beautiful smile on your face, tears of joy. You were so ecstatic in that moment. What does that mean to you?
Speaker 2: Ah? Well, clearly a lot I mean it means everything. I mean, you I felt like I've won the lottery several times in my lifetime just do a show that got picked up one time and then to have it happen a couple times. It's like, it's not that's not who gets to do that, and just very grateful and you know, it's funny. I think I was talking about thinking about it the first time around. I didn't know what it was going to mean, you know, getting to do that show. I was naive. I was like, I've got a job, I'm an actor. I'm doing it, and I'm just trying to keep my head like low and like, don't get fired, Melissa, you know. And turns out that that show, the first Rieba show, changed my life in so many ways professionally, personally I have lifelong friends and forever family from there. And the second time around, it's almost more precious because I know now I know how rare it is. I know, like when you're kids, like ah, I'll do this show and then I'll do that show, and you know, life's all ahead of you, and now you think it's far more precious to me. This could be it's really rare and we're taking you want to like take good care of it, you know, in a way I know how rare it is. That was a really long answer. Yes, I was extremely nappy and grateful, and I cried.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, it's beautiful, it really is. And I mean this show is resonating with people in such a big way. I mean, seventeen point six million people watch the premiere across all platforms, which is just a number you don't see these days anymore. It's right. I mean, you know, it's such a rarity to hit that kind of a number, which means people are loving it, they're buying it, they want more of it. Why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: I think I think there's a renaissance of multicams in particular, because it feels nostalgic. It feels like it's something you can watch and forget things, and you want to hang out with these people for what is it now? Twenty three minutes at a time, I think about what I watched or what I continue to watch. In times where I'm like, ugh, this is it's crazy. I need to turn off. I go to my favorite sitcoms. I go to my favorite characters, those families. I still watch those I'll go watch. I think during COVID, I was watching Family Ties again because I wanted some time with the Keatons. So I think these kind of shows where you get to know these characters and they feel like family, they're fun, they feel good. I think there's a hunger out there again for them. And people say, you know, sitcoms, they were dead, they went away. I don't think they ever did. I just think something felt cooler for a minute, and then they made more of those, and there's always a place for them. I like to believe that.
Speaker 1: And they're having a big moment right they are. You know, there's a lot as that comes across traditional broadcast television that I feel like are pretty explosive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think Nightcourt was that first time where they were doing it and that sort of opened the door for more sitcoms and four camera multicams to be made. And I know right now, I feel like I'm opening up and reading a deadline article, you know, at least weekly where I'm seeing another multiicam pilot happening, which is exciting, and you know, I think people think, well, does that make you nervous that there's no when there's more there's enough. There's enough pieces of pie for everyone, and when one succeeds, that means more can succeed, and that's there's not an infinite amount of success, so it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, that mentality is one of the many reasons why you've had so much success in your career, right because I don't know if everybody thinks like that, and to support other people and want other people to do well and look at the big picture of television and think like that, it's rare.
Speaker 2: I think, well, that makes me sad. I think it should not be rare. But maybe that is why I'm you know it, When one funny woman succeeds, it doesn't mean there's less roles for me. Means that means they want more funny women. And I learned early on. I don't know or knew early on. Maybe I you know, Reba was always a great example of watch knowing that if one person shined, it's better for us. She was the first one to be like, give Steve Howie that line, or give Melissa that line, because it's going to be funnier, and then if we get a laugh, it means everyone did better that night. So I think that's just been a night. Maybe I don't know. I'm my parents, I'm a Midwest girl. It was sort of that way, but you know, you can still have moments like oh, I wish I would have gotten that part, but I'm sure glad she did. And I just think success begets success. Did I say it begets a word? Let's say it's a word. It's a word, and it has helped me in times where I felt like, where's my thing? You know? And I think that's a bad place to live in. Whatever you do is where's mine. It's never a healthy, good place and no success will come to you in that place. So I really I really made an effort early on to really go you know what it's the part wasn't yours. Yours is still out there, and yes they went another way, and that person's going to be great, but it's not you because you have to think that way as an actor. There's a lot of talented people, but there's no one that no one will do it like you did it. So that wasn't your part. They didn't need that for this part.
Speaker 1: You're bringing me to church today and I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm going to be to be fair. I've also eaten a pack of Cheetos in my car cried for a minute, you know, after an audition, going like shoot, I really wanted that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also feel like there's been times like I've done a network test and I think I lost a role because I had a bubble in my throat, like where you did that any way, and like, no, I've got timing. I had a bubble.
Speaker 1: You've been through it all.
Speaker 2: I've been through it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that's amazing. I'm so happy to see you here at this point of your career on a show that people love, and you know, coming off of the Riba Show, I'm working with a lot of the similar folks you know, behind the camera and front in front of the camera as well, and now doing the show. Did you have any fear or anxiety or a worry like, Okay, people know Reeb and I on this hit show and now we're doing another one, like are they going to compare them? What do we did you do? Think like that? Or no?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know there was excitement and also yeah, anxiety too, because people want they love that show is so beloved and it lives on in syndication and people they maybe want we want exactly what that was, and we weren't going to be were It wasn't going to be a reboot, so you worry like, oh, are they going to like this? You're like, well, that's not exactly what we wanted because people wanted it. They wanted that reboot, and we were nervous and excited but really hopeful that they would be accepting of this. And I think we were. Kevin Abbott, who is was the showrunner on the Riba TV show and is the showrunner for Happy's Place, We've got him, We've got Matt Barry, We've got our producers Michael and Mindy, so we've all been there, and so I think they were very mindful of going it is going to be different, and it might bump people for a minute, but if they hang on, they're going to see that we are keeping true to the chemist. You two have the feel of that show, the tone of that show, which is we want it to be funny, we want it to have heart, and we want people to want to come back and spend time with him every week. So but yeah, I was scared. I was like, Oh, what if they they're like, it's not Barbara. You know, it's not Reeba and Barbara Jing again, it's Bobby and Gabby And are they going to be okay with that? And I'm not the half sister, I'm this person, and so I think maybe there probably were people that they were like, well, this isn't it. But I think if they came back, they they'll stay. And they did stay. So that was a relief too. But I was scared. I was like, what if they what if they want exactly that and it's not that it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's clearly resonating in such a big way. We're there conversations about rebooting Riba before this came to be, and like how did that happen? And what made you all decide, you know what, let's do something new.
Speaker 2: I wish I could say I'm ever the one who decides anything, because I'm not. I'm the one like when do you where do I show up? What time?
Speaker 1: In your opinion matters?
Speaker 2: Well in my house it does. But you know that the reboot idea has been floated all the time, like whether it was rumors on social media or actual conversations, it's been there. I think again, I'm never involved in any of the big decisions. But part of it I think was is the timing right? Who owns the rights to this? And then now somebody bought that company, Now they own the rights to this. We have to get permission here, there, and everywhere. So it's always never I don't think the timing was right for us or for the people who owned it. I don't know. I don't know that part. I know that there was conversations about it and it didn't work out, and then you get disappointed and you think, is it ever gonna Are we gonna ever get to do anything again? And Reba's always been I think the reason why she is still working and resonating with people is she's always like, what I'm supposed to be doing will happen when it's supposed to happen. So she was always like, let's have faith, and other ideas were floated, like the ideas, different ideas for us her and I to work together didn't pan out, and then Julia Abbot, Kevin Abbitt's wife, had this idea about what if it's woman finds out that has a half sister upon you know, the reading of the will, and it came up with this idea and Kevin Abbott wrote it it felt right, and then little baby steps happened, and I'm still very cautious when I'm like, okay, great, so they want you to write a pilot, all right, Well call me when that goes. And then like, now they want to we want to make a pilot, all right, Well we did that. That was great. All right, we'll call me if it gets picked up. And it was what did Reba say? It was like cautiously optimistic always because in this business you don't know. And so yeah, in every little step it just kept we kept getting a yes, and that felt really, really good, really good, And I won't lie the first time we walked on the first day of walking on the set and seeing the set and seeing her sitting there, it was like there were some tears of like it hits here. We've been talking about this for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like and it's so rare that you get to work with people again who you gel with and love and want to work with. I mean, that's just not a norm in the business. So what keeps you coming back from more with three? But why do you want to keep working with her?
Speaker 2: Well, she's truly become one of my closest friends. We have the timing, like I know, I don't even have to say anything, and she knows what I'm going to do, and I know what she's going to do. And I've been so lucky. I've worked with so many amazing people and actors, and there's been there's a few that are just you just you don't know what it is. But I felt like that on the first show, like especially in that season two where just like, oh, we're supposed to this is supposed to be a comedic duo sort of thing. She's easy, we have a shorthand, she makes me laugh. We trust each other, and I think that's really important for actors, Like when you trust, I know, I trust, she's got my best interests at heart. She's generous, she's fun to work with, and who doesn't. I mean, as you get older, you don't want to you want to work with people you like, and I know it's going to work. Also, here's the deal. If you're gonna hitch on anyway, and hitch on the one is really successful. Like I had to tell you, I've done. I mean, when you're doing when Reba's name is involved, it usually seems to really work out, and I think I love watching she assembles really good people around her, and I think that's why it does do that. So I always I feel safe with her too in a way because I feel like she's got everyone's best interest at heart, you know, And it's fun. She makes me laugh, I make her laugh, and we have a blast together.
Speaker 1: And before you began working together, you didn't know each other, which is amazing that you built this organic chemistry through years and years of working together.
Speaker 2: The first day, I you know, I knew who she was. You know, I mean I wasn't living under a rock, so I knew who she was. And she that first day in the RIBA show, she's like, hey, I'm Reba McIntyre. Like, we don't need your last name, We're where And even the first I she called me, I was like, I was so weird. On the phone, She's like, Melissa, it's Raba and then McIntyre, I'm like, I know, and I got. The thing about her is like she puts you at ease right away, and then we just had fun together. And you know, I keep shoes at her house in Nashville, so no one takes my room.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah, you have fun to go your vacation together.
Speaker 2: Vacation together?
Speaker 1: What is a vacation like with Melissa and Raba? What can we expect?
Speaker 2: A lot of games have been played, Backgammon, Sky Joe everything, any game, margariteas.
Speaker 1: Ooh spicy regular, What are we talking?
Speaker 2: Whatever comes out of the blender, cocktails games, lots of laughs and no makeup. Like everyone's sort of just comfy. And you always know when lunches. That's a very important riba McIntire thing. Whether you're traveling or on vacation, we always know what time lunches. She needs to know one lunches. That's good. I like that.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a fun trip.
Speaker 2: It's a great trip because like I just need to know where i'd be at lunch.
Speaker 1: Do you need a pool boy?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, well absolutely, I'm in great, are in great? I am so excited. I love hearing stories like that. I think it's so nice in the arts when people who work together genuinely love each other and it's a job, and I think people forget that sometimes and you're paired with coworkers that maybe not that you don't love, but you just kind of do your job at go home, there's you don't like, right, So I think it's always refreshing to see that. And I think that's the magic of this show and the other show you guys did together. It's like you want to be in that circle of friendship, you know.
Speaker 2: And you were talking about like what the nerves were like too, And then I get nervous, thinking we have the we're adding these new cast members, we've got, you know, to call, and we've got and obviously Rex I've gotten to hang out with because you know, he and Reebarre together, so I've gotten to spend time with him. But I didn't know Bellisa or Pablo or Tokala. And you were like, I don't want to be I don't want to force that. Let's we're best friends in force at Chemistry. And it was a really big relief to genuinely like them so much at the very beginning because you don't know, you really don't. You can walk onto any set and you can respect them, have a good time, do a great scene together, but do you genuinely want to hang out with them outside of work? Maybe not. And we've been really I've been very lucky. On the first show on Baby Daddy on Young Sheldon and on this show that I genuinely like to be with them and hang out with these people like I hang out with I still John Luke and Derek who played the on A Baby Daddy. My sons came and watched a taping of Happiest Place for a finale, and I'm still friends with them, and Annie Potts and like you know, from Young shelld I love to see her and I'm Rachel. So it's like, you're so lucky when you get friendships out of what you do for eleven you probably have that happen all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it's it's special when that happens, you know, And you strike me as someone who's very easy to get along with too, So you you you asked, well, okay, all right, we'll take up those skeletons later.
Speaker 2: My husband's been with me for twenty six years, so I'm not always but I think so yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's a cool energy to bring to any sort of job. And I think that also sets the tone for what the experience will be like, which is really cool and amazing. People keep popping up in this show from from the past. We'll say, right, yes, Christopher rich Rich. He really hasn't done a ton, right. He was sick and I believe had a stroke, Yeah, and hasn't acted much since.
Speaker 2: This is not much really sense the stroke. And I think a lot of people didn't know that he had had a stroke, you know. I mean obviously it's not something that he probably announced him, you know, immediately, but I think that he's and open about it in more recent years. But yeah, he had a he had a pretty big stroke. I think about eight years ago. I think it was eight years ago around Eastern and terrifying and scary because you know, this was it is prime. He's got he had two he has two kids and three kids and anyway, it was, it was it was. I was at the hospital I think within days of that happening, and we were all there for him, and it was really terrifying, and so it was so lovely to get him to come back and and to and to do his thing and to watch him do it and have a place for like we were like you you need to come back, they want to see you. And I think for him he was always He's always Chris. His body betrayed him in a way that terrified him. And I think he was nervous, and so this was a safe place to go. You are Chris Rich, You are an amazing actor. And to me, he's my family because Rock was he was Brock and Barbaging. He was my truly my partner on that show. And I was young and he taught me so much and he is forever my family. So it was just so gratifying to have him come and he crushed it. He crushed it and he and he was so open about and even in those women there was talks before about if there was a possible rebo what happening. Chris was very much like I will say that Brock had a stroke. He was not going to be shy about wanting to explore what those what that story would be, and that what it would be like for Barbaging if she was a caretaker, and stuff like that. So I love that he was really willing to be open about it and talk about what the realities of it are, find humor in it, make the jokes, because again you have to if you you know, we all know somebody or were related to somebody, or someone we love is related to somebody that has maybe gone through a stroke, Parkinson's any of these things that are just hard for everybody to deal with. So again I feel like I'm rambling.
Speaker 1: Do you edit these You're weally want to edit yoube we don't want to edit you. I'm here for all of it. That's that's the beauty of the show. You can actually freely speak and not worry about a SoundBite, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, it was it was for we was so great. We've had Steve and which was a whole other wonderful thing because he's like my brother that I grew up with. I remember watching him go in for his final test as Van on Riva and he just was bouncing off the walls and so funny, so great, and I'm like, if this guy doesn't get it, I don't know who could play Van. He was just amazing. No one funnier, no one makes me laugh like Steve Howie and that was lovely. But for Chris, it was especially sort of gratifying just to watch him come out and be received so well, like you can. You're such a great you give so much hope to everybody like that. Keep going and get back out there, and I hope he comes back. The doors are open for him to come back.
Speaker 1: Well, I know the fans are going wild over it, and they love seeing these little you know, respects to the past that keep popping up in this show, in particular the finalees coming up? Yeah, can you tell us anything? Is there anything we can expect?
Speaker 2: Oh? I was like, when did we shoot that? I remember?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know we have as all good finale season finales, and there is a little bit of a cliffhanger where we want to pick it up right where it lefts off. What can I say? I think I can. I think they've hinted a little bit about on the show. I know the episodes, they've hinted a little bit about Emmett and Bobby, a little bit of that relationship. And I think that there's there's a moment in this finale that's kind of fun. Okay, I can say that, you'll want you here's what I'll say. You'll watch it go like, when is it coming back? I want to know what happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, oh, cliffhanger.
Speaker 2: There might be a little I can say. I can. I think I can say there might be a little love in there.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, we're ready for it. We're ready to watch that. I think it's so cool that you're sitting here across from me and I'm thinking in my mind about all the shows you've done and how you've consistently been working in that sitcom space, right, like you've become one of the raining queens of sitcom.
Speaker 2: And wow you have and you have you recorded that? Right?
Speaker 1: You should put that on your Instagram Buio queen of rob coms too.
Speaker 2: Maybe right, that's you know what, there's still life in this old girl. I can be wrong. It can be a romantic comedy, right.
Speaker 1: You can do it all, but it's it's amazing because that's not the norm. So what do you think is one of your secrets to success with your work?
Speaker 2: Don't be afraid to not be number one on the call sheet or number two or number three or even number four, Like don't it's be the team player, be that, be the sidekicks. Sometimes it comes in and like, I don't know, I think some people are like, oh, I don't want to do that. That's that seems like it's not enough or it's not big enough. Like no, it's being part of an ensemble. To me is where I think everyone can really shine. So I don't know, don't be afraid to be the bet story. I think because sometimes when you're great at the B story, you become the A story. Does that make sense. I've always felt such freedom and not on being the sidekick in a way and getting there's to me there's freedom and getting to be a little bit crazy, the crazy one, the one that has a little I don't have to hold everything together. I can have a little of freedom in there. And I love that. And I love sitcoms. I'm a theater girl at heart, and so there's to me that medium is like a one act play every week. So I love rehearsal. I love coming up with bits. I think if I could say if I had a secret sauce, and I don't know if I have a secret sauce, but I think it's my ability in rehearsals to try stuff and to not be afraid to to ask to try something. And and I've been very lucky that I've been with showrunners and writers that allow that to happen. Like I love to I have ideas. I think that's a good thing, come to work with ideas. I think that makes maybe people I hope want to work with me that I just don't wait for them to tell me what to do. I've like, I've already thought of six things. What if we had this, this, and this. You know it's funny. Straws are funny. Let's get a straw in there, Like I like to be that person that and I love it. You know, I've been really lucky, Like we've got a props department that you know that goes Kenny. You know it'll be funny. Let's try this and those little details of like really, I really love the medium. I just love and I love funny. And I think I think I understand comedy. I think so I understand comedy. Maybe that's why I'm good at it. But I love it. And I think there's been times where I've taken the job that maybe felt like it wasn't not not it wasn't, but just like you do want to be there. You're supposed to be the guest star on just a Pilom, Well maybe I was supposed to be, but now I'm on every episode, you know what I mean? Like, don't I think there was some of some of those moments in my life and for sure on that's how it happened on Baby Daddy. I think Bonnie Wheeler was supposed to not be in every episode, and I think people like, you're just gonna play the mom, and they're like, yeah, I'm gonna play the mom on that and I'm gonna have a great time. It's gonna be fun. And it turns out I did a hundred episodes. So I think, say yes to those things and show.
Speaker 1: Up, because you never know where it's gonna do.
Speaker 2: You never know, you never know. I always tell it to people. Someone asks you to come fill in at a table read because an actor can't make it, and even though you know it's not your part, go in there and kill it at the table read. Someone's watching you that has another part somewhere else, So say yes and show up.
Speaker 1: Are you somebody who has faced a lot of rejection in your career because it seems like you've been working non stop?
Speaker 2: Well, that's it appears that way, I mean, and I've been very lucky that I have, and very pretty much not. I've had some dry years for sure, and faced rejections. A lot of parts I really wanted that I didn't get. Sometimes felt like not part of the cool club of comedy, you know sometimes but then reminding myself that there is way everyone feels like they're not in a club sometimes. I think I've learned that lesson as I got older, too, where like you can be in a room where everyone I just think are legendary and I admire so much, and I guarantee you they're probably and I went, oh my gosh, they that person. They looked at me and they might have known my name or or I can tell them how much. And everyone feels like they don't they're not in the club. I kind of think that, I know, I know that, I think everyone doesn't feel like they're part of the club. But I have faced rejection. I've been fired before, and that's awful, and it happens to everyone where you get fired from a pilot or you get recast, that's what they call it. It doesn't make it not be firing. You're fired, and I'll forget it was. And the people on the show called me and just said, it wasn't about you, and you're funny and great, and it was. It really wasn't about me. It's sometimes about that they wanted somebody shorter or whatever. But I've really tried very hard, and I think I've been I think I've done it every time when I when it's been someone else that's gone Friday, I made sure I reached out and let them know, because when someone reached out to me, it made the difference for me, you know. And the very next day I had an audition for another thing by the same producers, so in their mind it was like, no big deal. We just fired her from there because she wasn't right. There's this other thing, and I'm like, oh my god, I still have orange dust on my fingers from the Cheetos I ate in the car. I got to wash this off and go to an audition, you know. And I do remember that quite clearly, thinking if I don't get up and go to that audition today, I might not do it for a while. And I did. And I think that every actor and any it doesn't even matter if you're in the business. I think where all everyone gets rejected. I think it hurts my parents more now than it ever did me. My mom like, you know what, I'm not gonna I'm not going to buy that cereal. You didn't get that commercial like A like I'm not going to I'm like you know, Pam, I think that they noticed that big dip in the Midwest sales and the director feels horrible. They feel horrible, or sometimes she'll be like, do you have his number? I'm like, you're not calling them, Pam.
Speaker 1: I love a protective parent.
Speaker 2: They're very protective and if a show doesn't get you know, if I didn't get picked up with my mom, they would be devastated, which I understand now. As a parent, you just want you don't want your kids to face it. But I'm getting I'm pretty good at rejection. You have to be yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes from the outside it con SeeMe oh my god, there's nothing to worry about in your world and everything just comes so naturally and easy. But you too have had to overcome your own hurdles to get to where you are. And you've had longevity in this business because a your talented, but be you've never stop believing in yourself and you keep going and you don't let those hardships stop you and believing that.
Speaker 2: There might be years where you're not consistently working, but you're working enough, and then you have a year that's spectacular as far as you've been so busy and cherishing that. I think that's what I was sort of alluding to in the beginning of like, I know how special it is now, Like you know, twenty some years ago, you're like great, and then I'll do this show and I'll get this show and that show, and now you know, like this might be the last show or the last thing, or or for a while it might be. So enjoy every minute and then be ready to ride out maybe that next little dry wave until it comes back at you.
Speaker 1: You know. So from being that woman on day one of Reba to where you are right now, what do you think you've learned about yourself? What's been one of the greatest lessons you've given yourself throughout all those years?
Speaker 2: My knees are not going to stay as good as they were. And you know more than you think you do?
Speaker 1: Mmm?
Speaker 2: I think that I think I know more. I always thought, well I didn't know that, or why would I be able to answer that question. I think I think I know more than I thought I did. As far as you know, I think we all learned stuff through us. Most is that we don't give our self credit for or if you're paying attention, And I think I know I know more about particularly this business and I than I thought I did. I don't know does that I don't even know if that makes sense?
Speaker 1: It does? It does?
Speaker 2: I don't feel like I'm in a studio and I want to I'm trying to like like give a Ted talk and I is it? But you know what I mean, Like, am I saying it right? You are?
Speaker 1: You are? I think that's very right on. I think we sometimes we're our biggest doubters sometimes right and to your point, we need a trust and we know what we know.
Speaker 2: And I know I know more than I thought. Like there's times where I'm like, oh, I know why we're switching this scene because that set's got to come down, because that can't stay there, because we need to bring this thing. And there's stuff like that where I'm like, I did know that and I knew that then, or I know why we have to do it in this order, or I understand why this line doesn't work if we're moving on it, if you're standing still hilarious, if we're moving doesn't work, you can't have him. You know, there's stuff like that where I go I do know more, I know more than I than I thought I did.
Speaker 1: So speaking of what you didn't know, when did you know you were actually funny? Like did you have a moment where that clicked and you thought, oh, hmm, I can make a career in this.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I thought I could make a career in it, but I knew that there was I had. I knew that there was something about the power of it. Like it was junior high and I think I made like people laugh in a classroom and I was like, huh, I like this, Oh, maybe not going to notice how tall I am, or how awkward I am, or how this perm is not quite working on me. And I knew then that I liked that. And also as a little kid, for real, my aunt Susan Cathy, they were like my mom's younger sisters, and they they had an apartment and my sister and I got to go over there on weekends and I got to watch Saturday Night Live. I got to watch you know, Carol Burnett, Second SETV all that stuff, and I was like, I don't I want to do that. I want to do whatever they're doing. And I would put it. I would, you know, try to make my aunts laugh then, But it was junior high where I really like. I remember like I made a joke. I think maybe it was in geometry, and I know that I made everyone laugh, and I thought, huh, all right, lean into this Peterman because Homecoming Queen is not going to be yours. It ain't happening. And I was voted in high school most likely to become a comedian. I think I sort of leaned into into it then. But I think I knew was a little kid like I was always observing, and I think that's what people, or I think when people are surprised at the funniest person like that, they want to meet her a comic. Maybe in real life they're a little more of an introvert. And I think that a lot of people that are funny are watching people. And I loved to like watch people and observe them. And I think I knew what funny was pretty early on.
Speaker 1: Thank God, Thank God. Imagine a world without your I mean, what would we do?
Speaker 2: It will be quieter if I bring a lot of quality, but I make up for it in volume.
Speaker 1: Well, we're here for all of that. We want more and more and more.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't funny, then get louder.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that. Yeah, I like that, Melissa. I could talk to you for twenty more hours, but I'm not going to keep coffee.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to sleep tonight.
Speaker 1: Should we get cocktails?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I should have had cocktails.
Speaker 2: Express some martinis.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mess that up next time, next time. But as we wrap up this episode, I know the name of the show is called I've never said this before, Oh you know it's coming. So this was born because I cover a lot of red carpets and junkets, and you get a minute and a half on a carpet, you get three minutes in a junket. It's not real conversation. It's you know, headline based, and it's mainly about the project and only the project, which is great and has tremendous value. But I wanted to create a space where people can come on and really show a different side that they don't get to. We's show and show that human connection. So is there anything you can think of what what that means to you that you've never said before in an interview that you want to share today?
Speaker 2: Well, you were great because you gave me time to ponder, and I think I've pondered it so much and there's so many ways to go, and I know that I thought about it, and I thought about it a lot, and I think that I don't know if this will be helpful. I will probably cry, but I think you want me to cry. No, When I think this might be helpful, I think that something I've never said before is I was always the mom I wanted to be. Yeah, Wow, it's hard to balance everything.
Speaker 1: Did you ever doubt?
Speaker 2: I always every parent out there will feel like they doubt how they did. My son is great, he's wonderful. He's nineteen. And I know I was there more than you know you could always have been because I had the luxury of nine to five. But sometimes you just wish. I don't know. I think I was always the best mom that I could be in that moment, But as a parent, I think maybe I'm an empty nester right now. So he just left, so I'm like really missing him. So I think I just want to go back and do moments again.
Speaker 1: It goes fast.
Speaker 2: It goes fast. So everyone out there when they go like, oh, enjoy every minute goes fast, and you're like, no, it doesn't. I'm I'm holding a shitty diaper right now and I want to take a nap, enjoy it for real, because it does go super fast and I like it. I wanted to say that because I think everyone thinks you can do it all every second, and the reality is every day you can do one thing really well and one thing kind of well, and the next day you might do the other thing really well and the other thing kind of well. So yeah, I don't think I oh, I don't think you always get the luxury to be the exact parent in every moment, Like you're like, uh, I wish I didn't have the phone that day, or you know, there's just a little nothing tragic or anything like that. Just embrace those moments, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, was was there a lot of moments throughout your life where you thought, God, I'm not being the mom I want to be And you're finally at that place now, Like, was this a hard place for you to get at because you're so emotional about.
Speaker 2: I honestly think it's because he just he's not at home anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I was.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I really know I was a good mom and I had so much time with him, and my husband was I was. I had the luxury of having my husband be at home if I had to work, and a sitcom is like like the best schedule. I was always there and I didn't miss a lot of stuff or time. I really didn't. But you know, I just it's not even about my job. It was just about it went so fast, and I wish and I do that thing where I will like look at baby pictures and go like I want that moment back. So I think it's just being present in moments. Sometimes we rush things, we fast forward through things, like even like little moments like oh, I can't wait till this birthday party is over and I can clean up, Like no, it's don't so No. I don't think it was any moment where I thought I was a wasn't the mom a bad mom. It was just in hindsight, I wish I had moments. I wish I enjoyed every moment a little bit more. Yeah, but I think we all have those.
Speaker 1: It's hard to always be present.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's a fight, right, it's a fight.
Speaker 2: And I really was lucky I had we always had one of us was always home. Yeah, and maybe it's that time where you feel like I've gotten so lucky that I've gotten to I've been blessed to do what I love and also have and get to be a parent. And maybe you feel like how lucky. Maybe I don't know. I just miss him. Call your mother, Riley, if you're listening. I miss you, really, I do. He left in January is when he started school. So I just want my baby back for like a day. And my mom used to always say, if I could ever have a time machine, I'd have one more day with you and your sister as little girls. And I would be like whatever, And then now I go, oh, I get it. I absolutely I get it. So now as a daughter, I have made a vow my sister and I've actually said it that if we ever have an opportunity where we both have a free weekend, or we both have time and it's possible to see our parents, we do you know.
Speaker 1: Well, something tells me if he was in this room next to me and we were asking him a question about you being an amazing mom, he would be beaming and saying she is the best.
Speaker 2: I think I was. Really, I'll just know. I just know that every parent out there will go no matter how wonderful or good of a mom you were it's you never feel like it's enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it's I trust me. I'm not a parent, but I am an uncle and a lot of friends are parents, and it's a very common thing I hear. And I love that you share that today because it's so relatable. And again, when are you going to say this on a red carpet when you have a minute with somebody? Probably not.
Speaker 2: If I did, they might go, ma'am, I am, You're fifty minutes are up. You need to get to your seat because the seed filler's done with it. They were like, no, I've got one more.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: As a child, I never I mean I could have gone what was The other one was like, you know, I've never said you're paying me too much?
Speaker 1: Which was it bro like that?
Speaker 2: But no, I really wanted to share that because I think mothers we do not and parents just have to be everyone parents. You never to cut your because I felt like I always say to people, cut yourself some slack. I think I feel like that's something I would say in red carpets, like you know, and then going like yeah, but sometimes at night I go, oh, I don't cut myself.
Speaker 1: That, you know, So yeah, well, thank you, thank you for sharing that, thank you for being here, thank you for the gift of your comedy, and for happiest.
Speaker 2: Place to watch this ago.
Speaker 1: She's hilarious right right now.
Speaker 2: Look at her, She's just hilarious, balling all over his mic, drinking coffee.
Speaker 1: I love it all. It makes you more human And seriously, the show couldn't be more needed, I think in this world than right now. I am so happy. There's a season two coming out too, and we look forward to the finale airing later this month. And just keep bringing us more joy. I'm progie.
Speaker 2: I promise, I absolutely promise. We do need it.
Speaker 1: We need lots of it, and you bring a lot of it. So thank you for hanging out. I'm so happy you could come today.
Speaker 2: I'm too thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I've Never Said This Before is hosted by Me Tommy Dedario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Publisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast network on iHeart Podcasts. For more, rate review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy de Dario