Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens season has come to a close as they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs seventeen to ten in Sunday's AFC Championship at M and T Banks Stadium. It was a disappointing and in many ways surprising loss to Kansas City for the Ravens, and it's a tough way to end the season for a team who was the number one overall seed in the AFC and had so many things go right for them over the course of this year. Putting into words the emotions the difficulties of losing a game is tough after that. But the Ravens talked to the media after the game, so let's kick things all Head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate everybody being here.
Speaker 3: Just something I want to start with say this, This is a well I'm hanging my hat at this point. But for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and then not harm. Plans to give you a hope in the future. Wait for the Lord and be strong. And that's for me.
Speaker 2: What question do you have.
Speaker 4: After a loss like this? One was kind of message to the players.
Speaker 2: I was proud of them. I'm proud of the season that they had.
Speaker 3: I think I feel like like it was a It was a team that had a lot of challenges. You know, I don't think it was a team that was too highly touted coming into the season by by the pundits and the prognosticators and all that. And I think they proved a lot of people wrong all year. Quarterback made a statement all year.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: So many players, so many players that had so much to prove. I think of a guy like John Simpson, you know, just off the top of my head, who had so much to prove and coming.
Speaker 2: And play the way he did.
Speaker 3: You know, Gidevian Clowney and Kyle Kyle van Nola was just two guys that came in late. You know that that you know, it didn't see if anybody else wanted right and they came in and played the way they did. So there's so many stories on this team, so many individual stories. The messages to you know is you know, eyes straight ahead, you know, you chin up your chest out and uh and understand what you what you did accomplish.
Speaker 2: And I'm proud of them.
Speaker 6: It was your immediate thought as to why the offense wasn't able to kind of put its best wint forward.
Speaker 2: Uh, we just weren't able to.
Speaker 3: You know, we had a couple opportunities to score down there, we didn't get the touchdowns. I mean it was really a defensive struggle if you step back and look at the whole game, and they were able to score the points and we weren't much.
Speaker 4: Of how tough was it obviously come back from today's day's turn up. I know there were a couple other Pibow moments there, but it seemed.
Speaker 3: Like the moment winner got we were fighting like crazy to get back in and I think, you know, strategically we moved the ball back down the field. We were fighting to get the ball back at the end, you know, with the clock and everything, and they hit the one pass. We were close to getting the ball back and then to have a chance to score. So that's what we were trying to do, I mean, against the clock. There a lot of different strategic strategic moves to try to get that done, and then they hit the one pass.
Speaker 4: Sixteen resting attempts is definitely not what you guys.
Speaker 5: Want to do.
Speaker 3: It was kind of that kind of a game, I'd say, you know, that's the way it worked out, the game, kind of the way the game went.
Speaker 4: How disappointed were some of the penalties?
Speaker 3: Were it seemed like maybe losing composure at a couple of points in the Yeah, I really don't have anything say about those until you get a better look at him, John.
Speaker 1: When you say that, Lamar, when he's had the season he's had, and I know he's not gonna like that performance today.
Speaker 3: I told him to stand up tall. You know, he's had a great season. He his performance today was all heart, He fought, He went out there and gave it everything he had. So I don't think that's anything that I'd be disappointed in.
Speaker 4: What was the message in the locker room afterwards? I know you told him you were proud and all that. That was a message despite what happened in the regular season. I mean what was their reaction afterwards? I mean, did anyone stand up and say anything after you did?
Speaker 5: Coach?
Speaker 3: No, I mean, guys are talking to one another. We said the art, we said that the Lord's Prayer, We said.
Speaker 7: That John was Martlon not a would go in the second half, and we saw didn't really see him out there after him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just this way we went.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure exactly where he was at physically, but he play as much as he could.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that. And that's that's Marlin works.
Speaker 4: She just lost the fumble out of the end zone last.
Speaker 5: Week, obviously saw that.
Speaker 8: So you screeching for the doing something that you coach.
Speaker 4: Or a coach to avoid.
Speaker 3: We coach two hands when you reach for the end zone. Uh, he had two hands on the ball.
Speaker 6: Was there anything in particular about their defensive playing that you felt like it was when they get especially hard on your offense.
Speaker 2: No, they did what they always do. They're very well coached.
Speaker 3: They play hard bag Nola Steve's Bagnola's bags, my good friend's bags.
Speaker 5: He is a great coach.
Speaker 1: That was head coach on hardball. Next up is quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 9: How disappointed obviously this outcome? You know, you guys supposed so hard to get to this point. I know you wanted to football, but question also, Uh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 10: Uh, I mean we had some opportunities out there, you know, does that got to take advantage of him? Can't turn the ball over you No, Farmway interception stuff like that. They gave him the opportunity to, you know, put points on the bar and win the game. Were we getting that red zone? It's been our it's been our touchdown all season.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: We just gotta finish, and we didn't do a good job on finishing. Defense did a wonderful job, it held up great, a great offensive.
Speaker 8: Seventeen points. We gotta execute.
Speaker 10: We scored one touchdown and that's not like us. You know, that was early on in the year. No excuses though. We gotta take advantage.
Speaker 4: Mar what'd you what'd you see on that end zone?
Speaker 11: Bro?
Speaker 4: Just look like I said, was just.
Speaker 8: U uh Temple two.
Speaker 10: I see Temple two and I see both of 'em. I see both of 'em. Uh te trailing him, and I didn't wanna throw it all out the end zone. I just tried to like let him turn around and make a play. I thought it was gonna be p I but you know, it is what it is. That's safety made a great play and made an interception.
Speaker 9: Get them up front of view of you guys, with the whole group the whole season.
Speaker 5: They did that that week. Job on.
Speaker 10: They're proud of my team, you know, new system offensive coordinator. Uh, different things, you know, different things. We seen motion and stuff like that. Uh adversity. At the beginning of the season, you know, we wasn't playing well. People don't know what the Ravens offense or defense don't look like. And we made it all the way to this point. You know, uh a goal short. We made it here, but we just gotta finish next time. But I'm very proud of my team all phases.
Speaker 5: Laar.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like at times maybe you were trying to do too much or it was just no team just trying to try.
Speaker 8: I don't think you doing too much when you tryna win out there?
Speaker 5: You thought so.
Speaker 7: For sure, they think what you gotta think of almost fifty percent your drawbacks? What was the Uh was that surprising to you going into.
Speaker 5: How difficult was that for the feelers?
Speaker 10: I mean, uh, not not really, cause we we seen them uh film, you know, blinks here and there, you know, but fifth percent, that's different.
Speaker 8: You know, we wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 10: But sometimes you know, they have lanes, we got uh, intermediate routes and they jumping, can't just throw the ball and get to try to make them.
Speaker 8: Took the passes, So I'm tryna make something happen.
Speaker 10: But they did a great job AFEC Championship game, and obviously Kansas City has been in this position many times.
Speaker 6: I'm sure if some quality pays that you can kind of observe in this game and you don't wanna emulate.
Speaker 4: Bring when you go back and live next year.
Speaker 10: I mean, no turnovers, you know, they they played the game basically perfect. Uh, they put points on the board. I felt like if we wouldn't turned the ball over, we definitely would have had a shot. We definitely woulda came out with a win. But they did a great job.
Speaker 8: And I turned the ball over and pulling points on the board are right?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 12: Are you?
Speaker 6: Are you more frustrated or more hopefull the th you you guys have a lot to gold on North Forward.
Speaker 10: Oh I'm not frustrated at all. I'm I'm angry about, you know, losing. Uh we're gating away from the super Bowl.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 10: We been waiting all this time, all these moments for a opportunity like this, and we fell short. But but I feel like our team gonna we gonna we gonna build you know this all seam. We gonna get get right, get better, grind and try to be in this position the game. But on the other side a victory or do.
Speaker 4: You think there was opportunities to run the ball more?
Speaker 5: Uh doing something?
Speaker 8: I mean we coulda ran the ball.
Speaker 10: You know, we were just we was down and we just try to, you know, put points on the ball, try to get the ball down the field and we just gotta make something happen.
Speaker 11: In your mind, what makes the chief defensive they for the score, cause you guys didn't really have much success in the second half. We did.
Speaker 10: We turned the ball over, we was driving the ball. We just you know, they they made great plays farm ball intercepts and stuff like that. We keep the ball in our possession. We put points on the board.
Speaker 5: What do you say that?
Speaker 9: Ja Flyers after the SEQ said we had funks from the goal line and tall table.
Speaker 8: See we gonna we gonna, we gonna get it back next time. We not rried about that. You know, we all make mistakes.
Speaker 10: This his first season, it's my first time in this situation, it's his first time in the situation.
Speaker 8: We gonna bounce back. You know, nobody played the game perfect.
Speaker 9: Disappointed, but what what do you feel like it's the vibe of the locker room after hard city.
Speaker 8: We ever, yeah, I mean we mad, like I understand, you know, coach gonna give a speech.
Speaker 5: You know that's a job.
Speaker 8: But we mad.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: We we got the dis position one game away from the super Bowl that we all well what I've been talking about, my team been talking about all season when we fell short and like I said, offense, we didn't put nothing on the board.
Speaker 8: We scored once. That's not like us.
Speaker 10: You know, we drove the ball down the field. That's cool, but we gotta put points on the board. But I feel like my team just angry, you know, not frustrated. We just angry cause we know how hard we worked to get here.
Speaker 6: The matter of like something different that was going on for you guys, I said, was not being finishers drives?
Speaker 5: What can usually do?
Speaker 4: Was that a matter of poise? Or can you put your finger on why it was?
Speaker 5: Driving?
Speaker 8: Were ended how you usually?
Speaker 10: Like I said, earlier turnovers, they was bating the ball down, you know, but I still gotta navigate to throw the best way I could. Well, you gotta put points on the board. That's our job, you know, we get paid to do that. And we scored once today they scored twice on offense.
Speaker 4: We gotta do better for Lamar.
Speaker 10: Lamar coming into this playoffs, your teammates and you said you've been more locked.
Speaker 2: In than you ever did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what more can you.
Speaker 8: Do beyond being locked in?
Speaker 5: I guess for next season?
Speaker 4: So this outcome just an athlete, it was.
Speaker 10: I mean, we just gotta put points on the board. That's the That's the thing right now. It's not nothing we could have did better or to prepare for the game. We put points on the board, and we'll be talking about something mess right now.
Speaker 4: Mostly gonna take it from the seasons.
Speaker 8: That's how hard we fought.
Speaker 5: You know, we was.
Speaker 10: We was facing adversity all season. Nobody thought we was gonna be in this position. New system, Uh, new guys, whole new team. We got some vets that you know came along with the team. People didn't think we were gonna be in this position, but we was, you know, but next time, we just gotta finish.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: That was quarterback Lamar Jackson. Now let's hear from linebacker Roquan Smith.
Speaker 4: What was the difference after it?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 4: After that first color drives, Prett gonna shut down what was the kind of the difference after the first two drives.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I just think we s we settled down.
Speaker 13: That's what it just goes back to, and I think we just started playing more about brand of football, but at the end of the day, still wasn't enough to get the job.
Speaker 5: So that's what it is.
Speaker 14: We're going to can see you know on motion as you're sitting there and right now, what are you feeling after that was a way?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Man, you know, first and foremost hats off of those guys. Uh, they got the job done. But I just think, uh, it's not not getting the job done, and just knowing the potential and the guys that you have in the locker room, and you know, we all put so much on the line, uh, just like anyone else. Uh and just to uh let ourselves down in that position, Uh, it sucks, and just knowing how close we were to what we really wanted. But at the end of the day, it is what it is, and it just gotta add more few to the uh few, add more few to you at the.
Speaker 5: End of the day.
Speaker 13: And that's how I'm taking it. So that's what it's gonna be. But it definitely Uh, it definitely sucks.
Speaker 5: It hurts.
Speaker 4: It real really, I guess what was the plan to to stop Kelsea and what went fong? You can diamos.
Speaker 13: It's yeah, I thought we uh, we did a great job in the second half of just like being us. And you know, the plan is to stop the Chiefs, you know, and he's definitely a big corporate he's he's a big part of that.
Speaker 5: Him in my home.
Speaker 13: So that's that's part of the plan. It was first foremost stopping the run game and then going on with that. But he made some plays throughout the game, and we just didn't make enough plays on defense. It's never about the other side. It's more about us, and that's how I look at it, and that's how I take it personally.
Speaker 3: Early on, when they've scored a couple of times they converted a boat load to certain downs, mean, how frustrating is it to put them in those positions and just not being able to quite get off the field.
Speaker 13: By no, it's definitely very frustrating, like, you know, having them in a position that you want someone in and not being able to capitalize on that as a defense, and that's something that you prepare for week in and week out, day in and day out, and you know, hats off of those guys, so being able to capitalize and getting the job done. And it's just we we didn't get the job done. So that's what it is in a nutshell. So just gotta grind and do whatever it is. Like I always say, chin up, just out, like just can't drop your head, you know, because that's not gonna do anything at the end of the day. So just gotta hang your hat on, you know, everything that you have done in his life. Uh and see see see what comes from it in a sense.
Speaker 6: Or do you do you kind of live with the pandavis for a little while and then start to think about how.
Speaker 5: You go about it.
Speaker 13: Well, I don't think there's a proper way, proper way to like deal with whatever emotions you're dealing with, because every human being is different, Like you're different from me and everyone else. We're wanting I don't know, trillion or something like that the chances of being a human. So when you think about it from that perspective, everyone's mindset is different. I know, personally, it definitely sucks, you know, sucks coming in here too, you know, definitely wishing the results was a lot different. But at the end of the day, it is what it is, and it's not about you know, what happens to you in life. It's about more so how you respond. So I think that's just what each and every individual has to ask themselves and tell themselves. I'mlike, and what answer to themselves?
Speaker 7: You know you saw it in the second half obviously, but what do you think really made this this year's defense special and doesn't add to kind of what you're feeling when you think.
Speaker 4: About the window that you guys had with this historic defense?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Absolutely, Uh then I have an immense amount of respect for you know, every single guy that stepped on the field with me this year on the defensive side of the ball, just knowing all that we've been through. Guys that was injured, got injured, our guys injured came back, and I just know, I just know what it means to like actually have in my short like six years in the game, like just having like a group of like truly unselfish dudes, dudes don't really care who gets the credit, all celebrate one another, and like it's hard to find that and like football, let alone in life because you know, most human beings, you're selfish in your own way, even though you may not may not know it. And just like seeing how many selfless guys and willing to put it all on the line for one another, it just it inspires you.
Speaker 5: And it definitely that's part of part of what sucks for me, just knowing each.
Speaker 13: And every guy, like how we all you know, roll together do whatever for each other, and to like just let ourselves down like that, it sucks. So that's definitely part of the emotions that you know, you feel in a sense. But at the end of the day, it's life, And how are you going to respond when you get you know, hitting the mouth in a sense, get hitting the mouth? How are you going to respond? You know, everyone has a plan, but the plan didn't go uh as it should have for us. But hats off of those guys for getting a job done. At the end of the day, obviously, Lamar is you know NFL and the p season left will be named it.
Speaker 6: But you know there would be some questions and comments when the offense want to say those work ten points?
Speaker 4: What do you what do you say you know about Lamar and kind of the the season.
Speaker 8: They have either the to to that.
Speaker 13: There's always gonna be questions, comments, opinions. You know, that's just with humans that can speak and have a mouth. That's most people are gonna do that day in and day out.
Speaker 5: So you know who cares.
Speaker 13: Honestly, that's how I think about it. I really don't really care about the opinions of him nor the team. At the end of the day, he's the leader of this team, lead the offense, let the offense all year long. So it's nothing, you know, dropping our head about like we didn't get the job done at the end of the day. So that's truly what it is. It's not pointed fingers. At the end of the day, we didn't get the job done.
Speaker 5: As a team.
Speaker 13: Defense you have the mindset, don't score, don't win, you know. Offense have the mindset put points on the board.
Speaker 5: So that's what it is.
Speaker 13: So it's like all point fingers that each eleven of us on the offensive side of the ball as well on the defensive side of the ball. It's no one man one man sure by any means, it's a team thing. It's a team that gets the job done.
Speaker 7: Then where you just set it up the guys to get to this point in the emotion that you're showing now how hard it.
Speaker 5: Was for you to get over. It's definitely. It's definitely tough, man.
Speaker 13: Like, you know, I talked with so many guys across the league as well as guys inside of the locker room, and you know guys that's been you know, like talking with Clowney, been in the game ten years, like and never really been in this position, like me first time, like in six years in the game. And when you just think about how hard it is to like excuse me, to make it back to this position, knowing all the adversity, the obstacles that you have to go through to get to this point, it sucks. And like you just really think about it, like it's tough because there's a lot of things that has to go your way in order for you to get here, and for us like busting our tails day in and day out, since OTA's with the coaches, you know, with each other, like having the attendance we had and like just knowing how each and every person cared about one another.
Speaker 5: Man, it sucks.
Speaker 13: And like, you know, it's definitely gonna add few in the offseason as well as in the season coming up next year, but like you know, it sucks and it's just gonna, you know, make you go harder because at the end of the day, didn't have enough to get the job done. And that's that's truly what it boils down to. So I think each and every guy gonna look themselves in the mirror like always and like what can what could I have done better? And like myself personally, like what could I have done better? Because there's plays out there I wish I could have done better on in a sense, So it's just all about looking at yourself and saying, how are you gonna respond? And I think that's the ultimate, like, that's the ultimate decision every human has to make in tough situation. It's not about dropping your head, it's about raising it high and whatever it is you got to go through, chin up, chest out, sunsets, no regrets, like at the end of the day and you know we'll be back, but it's gonna be a process and we're gonna bust our ass. I know personally, I'm gonna bust my ass and taking this personal.
Speaker 5: To like get to where we need to go. And that's all it is that need to be said, but has off to those guys again.
Speaker 1: In the locker room today, we also heard from fellow linebacker Patrick Queen.
Speaker 10: Untally getting in your head on the deep into side, especially Kelsey in some other places.
Speaker 11: I live for talking, So you can talk about you gonna that's my game. So if you want to do that, we can rumble, we can tell what we do. All that stuff another game. You still won't get an older to get it up. I don't care that. That's my type of game. So that's our type of game nationally. That's what we feed off of. And sorry, started settling down a little bit in the second half. We're just doing what we do.
Speaker 4: How hard is it going against Mahomes and these big games.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 11: You know, one of the greatest top two quarterback in the league between him and Lamar whoever whoever they want to take.
Speaker 8: But you know, it's just it's tough.
Speaker 11: He can make plays, he can make it any throw, He could buy time, do what they gotta do, and that's what we're trying to limit him from doing. And you know it's times where he escape and did what he.
Speaker 5: Needed to do.
Speaker 11: And that's why I said, we didn't capitalize on opportunities that we had, you know, the games defended.
Speaker 8: Is it your desire to be back here?
Speaker 5: It could be a father this yeah great, deep Prince, that for you guys are so much.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, i'm'a just take my time. I'm think everything through, take my time thinking about this loss and rest the loss, must feel it, let it be, and.
Speaker 5: You know, just to see where he goes was honestly.
Speaker 4: Cause your last one, Lamar always has his following him.
Speaker 8: You know, that's a kind of player, is Is it like disappointing that he's not gonna get a chance to show his ability after sees we had.
Speaker 11: In this ry.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Oh that honestly what hurts me the most because I wanted to get that guy the recognition that he deserves, honestly, you know, as a team sport, as a team that's ever going to play for each title.
Speaker 5: But that was what I mean, don't explaining for it. Honestly, It's just so.
Speaker 11: Much stuff he gets that he doesn't deserve for you know, this was his opportunity, you know, yeable m rite some of that stuff off and go to the next the next thing. So you know, that's why it hurts the way it hurts. It's cause you want to see people like that, the teammates that you love and care about get what they supposed to be good and you know that that's what we're living all day.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker Patrick Queen. We also talked with wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior.
Speaker 4: Saying, what's the what's the toughest part of just knowing all you had in this room? Just seeing it and until suddenly I guess.
Speaker 5: It's kind of how life goes.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 5: Toughest part is it ending? Uh?
Speaker 14: And now having an opportunity to see, you know, the men that you worked so hard with in this room, to have the opportunity to play in the game.
Speaker 5: That we all dream of as kids.
Speaker 14: And growing up against an incredible team, incredible champions.
Speaker 5: It was championship football today and they came out on top.
Speaker 14: And I know it's a tough ending, but what has this team meant to you throughout the season.
Speaker 5: I mean it's been everything for me.
Speaker 14: Sitting out a whole year, coming here, you know, seeing these guys seeing way to prepare it, see in a way that they fought like it's been It's been so much to my life.
Speaker 5: Uh, Apart from my son and and family.
Speaker 14: Like you know, football is something that I've dedicated my entire life to. So it sucks to come up short. You know, not everything goes the way that you want in life. You know, you're gonna have adversity, You're gonna have moments of let down, but it's gonna keep your head, you know, and and continue to fight.
Speaker 6: Oldell, it looked like you were offering some words to Lamar Nz in particular at at the end.
Speaker 5: What what what was the message there?
Speaker 14: Just you know, through experience, you know the things that I've learned, and these are these are special guys. They have you know, long healthy careers, God willing ahead of them. Just letting him know, you know, letting say know he's gonna be a special player and this is a moment uh in your career that's it's never gonna break you.
Speaker 5: It's always gonna you know, make you.
Speaker 14: And and just being able to you know, be there for her if her however I can, you know, I feel the same way that they do.
Speaker 5: You know, I wanted to win. I wanted to be playing in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 14: You know, I came here and was gonna give everything I had, you know, regardless of the situation, regardless of anything for that matter. I I was just kind of sharing that, you know, it's gonna be alright. It's just unfortunate the way it ended with.
Speaker 7: Theell long you guys seem to struggle in with football at times against their defense.
Speaker 5: What what did they What did they do that was difficult to overcome? You know, you just sometimes you just got tip your hat, tip your hat to 'em.
Speaker 14: That's a championship team and they came out and they played a better ball. Like That's the only thing I could think of, was they played a better ball. Uh, we didn't execute, didn't make the players when we needed to make 'em. That's just that's the only thing I could think of.
Speaker 13: And h know, you know with with Lamar, I mean, he's been wanting to get past the stage, and I mean, how did this point is perhap knowing how much you know he was been to vote in and locked in on that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's disappointed for everybody.
Speaker 14: You know, when you have a player like Lamar who thirty years from now will speak l Lamar Jackson's name and everyone is gonna know and remember, there are certain moments that define you, you know, defying moments in your career and this is just one, you know, one that'll be in his career. You know, the the greats have all been through tough times. And I don't think, uh, I don't think this is gonna stop him from wanting to get to, you know, his ultimate goal.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 14: I think if anything, he's gonna work even harder. You know, he wants it bad. I I I had never seen somebody so locked in and just you know, in the flow and in that era. And I just felt like it was his time. And you know, like I say, sometimes things happen in life and it doesn't go the way that we plan.
Speaker 5: It's just about what do you do from here?
Speaker 6: Oh doll, I think you had said this is the best team that you've that you've played on. I mean, do you is it kind of a mixing the sense that you believe these guys will bounce back, but at the same time, you know with your experience that these opportunities don't come along that often.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 14: We were in the meeting and one of the coaches was talking about how he's been to this you know, champion AFC or NFC Championship game ten times, and he's only won two Super Bowls, you know, So these moments don't come by. It takes a lot of hard work to be able to get here. That's why the stakes are so hard. That's why these players feel the way that they feel, because they've dedicated time away from their families, you know, the the hard work that you have to put in.
Speaker 5: I don't think people, you know, really see that.
Speaker 14: They see the results, and they see what happens for their fantasy teams, and they see what happens, you know, for for things that you know, to us, it doesn't really matter like this. There's a game within the game that lies here in this locker room, and you spend more time with with the brothers in here than you do with your actual family. So it's tough to have these moments. I don't think anybody in here wanted this to be the outcome, uh, but it's just the way it went today.
Speaker 1: Oh Dog, Just to go back to the the advice for Zay and the moment you shared with Zay, how is your relationship evolved and developed over this year?
Speaker 5: You know, for me, it was about whatever role uh they wanted me to play.
Speaker 14: Uh, I was gonna be there and and Zaya is forever you know, little bro to me and all of these guys in that room, can I'm gonna call away any single time, you know, they just being able to share that moment with them, Like, bru, you gonna be straight.
Speaker 5: You know it's tough.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you may hear something about this. You know, it's just the way the world is. You know that that's just the it's it's that's how they're gonna be. So just keep his head just like everybody else in here. It's no there's no one play that defines a game. You know, there's still a lot of football that was left.
Speaker 5: In the game.
Speaker 14: But these moments you'll be able to learn from and and uh become a better man, a better player, all of those things.
Speaker 5: Like you then what you went through physically to get back to this point, how tough wards be go for a Yeah, it sucks. Uh, there's nowhere around it. You know. I was.
Speaker 14: It's funny cause I worked from February twenty second, twenty twenty two, you know until this point, and I hadn't haven't stopped since, and there been some bumps in the road, and there's been some hard times, you know, your body. It's it's a lot of demand on your body. It's a lot of hours that people don't see where you're at home, you're doing rehab, you're doing all of these things. And I was just feeling, you know, starting to feel even better, you know, as this game approached, and just just wanted to be able to leave my mark. Uh uh, Like like everybody in here, you know, these are the games I was telling some of the younger guys like, this is where your legacy is made, you know, this is where it's it started at at least.
Speaker 5: So there's no real words. Bruh. It sucks, you know. I wanted to be playing in the big game. Uh. We just didn't take care of business at lea. Have you thought about your future at all? Yeah?
Speaker 14: To me, if there's anything I felt about myself, regardless of anybody's opinion or anything like that, is that I know that I could still play football, and I know that I still have chitt in the tank, you know what I mean. Just it's just unfortunate the way that it went today because to me, it was it's so much bigger than one person in this room. It was just being able to have that moment with these guys you worked so hard with so for me as far as my future, you know, just take a step back, breathe for a second, pick a chin up. Just know that life goes on and we'll figure out what's next after that.
Speaker 4: But you guys just couldn't really get it going early in this game.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 14: I mean last week it was only it was ten ten and a half times, so you know, it's some days are slower than others. It's just about it was just about finishing today and we just we just didn't get to finish.
Speaker 5: So I don't really think it.
Speaker 14: I don't know how important it is how you start. You know, it's all about how you finish, and we just didn't do that today.
Speaker 4: Soub. Just to be clear, if you had your property, you would like to.
Speaker 5: Come back, right, you would like to Uh. I mean, I absolutely love this place.
Speaker 14: I don't know the political answer to that question, but I've I've enjoyed every single moment I always talk about when I went to the Rams like it made me fall in love.
Speaker 5: For football again.
Speaker 14: And being here Qutar's Steve DC like this this felt like a home.
Speaker 5: It felt amazing for me.
Speaker 14: The city of Baltimore wanted it for the city of Baltimore more than anything, wanted them to be able to have that moment. We're all standing on the field and and the bank's rocking, but just came up short. So, like I said, I'll take a step back, you know, evaluate the future and just go from there.
Speaker 12: The uh the assuming you know in an instance that you do come back next year, do you believe this team can get right back to here and then win it next time and and reach that ultimate goal?
Speaker 14: I meant how to answer that. You know, the players that we have here, you see, we made it here. It's never n it's never a shoeing. But at the end of the day, I believe in the guys in this room. And if they're the same guys they were this shared then I don't see why you know, they wouldn't be right back here the same as the Chiefs for their last year and they're right back here.
Speaker 5: You know, some some team just have it.
Speaker 14: Some teams always have to go and find pieces to make it like this team has, uh every single piece that they need.
Speaker 5: So uh, I don't see why not.
Speaker 12: I remember the day you first spoke, when you when you got here to Baltimore. You talked about how special it was, how excited you were to be part of this. When you look back at this season, just t how special the memories this whole year are gonna be for you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'll never forget anything uh about it.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 14: I remember the phone calls before even sign and like, do you think you'd be cool in Baltimore?
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 14: You know, it's not the most fun in the world. And it's like I I actually had Uh. This year to me was uh a year that I'll never forget in my entire life. So again, like I said, it's just unfortunate the way that it ended. But when you y you're going against you know, one of the best teams in the world, and they've shown it year in and year out, sometimes you just gotta tip your hat and and they they played better than we did today, Cause.
Speaker 6: That make it more painful, going from a year that you'll never forget and the love and the passion that you had on this team.
Speaker 4: And falling short.
Speaker 14: Uh nah, I I mean the pain, Sh'S pain't gonna be there, you know. You you put so much into it and when it doesn't go the way that you want like it doesn't matter. You know, yeah, nothing matters this moment. You feel this moment, how you feel it?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It was Odell Beckham Junior. We also heard from rookie wide receiver Zay Flowers.
Speaker 8: You know your teammates support and everything that happened to be the good and the band.
Speaker 5: In this game.
Speaker 8: Honey, describe it.
Speaker 5: I mean, oh, my brothers, so they gonna ride with me, right or wrong, no matter what.
Speaker 8: So it's all and just the emotions I guess of the season and just getting to this point.
Speaker 5: Can you describe what that has been like?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, it's fun winning then you know, you get to the playoffs. You wanna win, but sometimes the t on the best team to always win.
Speaker 8: So that's all.
Speaker 4: Did you think you broke a plane at the goal line?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I thought I did funest, but you know I learned from my mistakes. Say you say, what are you feeling in your heart in your head right now? Want to win? That's it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Say you was sorry?
Speaker 5: There was some speculation about you maybe cut your finger after the the fumble.
Speaker 4: Just what happened there on the sideline?
Speaker 8: Nah, I had a I had a cut already just opened up again.
Speaker 4: Say, you were one of the younger stars of this team.
Speaker 5: You guys have a lot of talent here. You did some special things this year.
Speaker 12: I I know it's tough to think this way right now, but how much you think about the potential of what you guys can do in years.
Speaker 4: To come right now?
Speaker 10: M you know, just try to come back that year and get it done, you know, come back together as a team.
Speaker 5: Just a tough one. So just you gotta work towards that year.
Speaker 6: How hard is it when the penalty seem like they're kind of going one way more often?
Speaker 10: Uh, honestly, that's something we anticipated. You said we was gonna play through it, but you know, can't you can't, you can't.
Speaker 8: May it cost rest offensive?
Speaker 11: Did it feel like this game is quite different for you guys just to play the production wise, Yeah.
Speaker 5: We didn't do what we wanted to, but we still had a chance to get it done. Justice just said he doesn't want you to feel like you're defined by one play. What does that mean to you that your teammates are talking like that right now?
Speaker 10: You know, like I said, those my brothers, I ain't expect nothing different from them, So you know, we all got each other backs.
Speaker 1: That was wide receivers A Flowers. You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. We have a full breakdown of the game over at the Lounge podcast fees, so you can go ahead check that out. Thank you so much for listening, for sticking with us over the course of the entire season. The Ravens will be back. It's a disappointing end of the season, but we appreciate your support every single game, So thank you for listening and we'll be back with you later this week.