Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 1: Than take Valichi. We are the authorities R and B. Lady is gentleman.
Speaker 2: My name is Tank Valentine. This is the Ry Money podcast authority on all things R and B. Yeah, okay, old and new and in between and in between.
Speaker 1: We tapped in, We.
Speaker 2: Tapped in, We tapped into the culture.
Speaker 3: Still brought all of it.
Speaker 2: We brought some of the youth into the building tonight. I mean, you know, we're talking about musicianship. We're talking about sanging. We're talking about we're talking about you were playing whatever instrument want to play?
Speaker 1: Huh it's hair? Nice? Is that nice? Pants to thank y'all?
Speaker 2: What man?
Speaker 1: Some bro? How you feeling rather?
Speaker 3: I'm blessed, but I can't complain.
Speaker 4: About to drop a project?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, so everything is good.
Speaker 1: You're about to drop a project.
Speaker 4: I am about to drop a project.
Speaker 1: And which project is the which number project is this?
Speaker 3: This is so?
Speaker 1: How many projects have you dropped?
Speaker 3: I haven't dropped any official album?
Speaker 1: And if number, how many projects have you dropped?
Speaker 2: Mixed tapes that I like to call it, Tom It's gonna be my fifth one, your fifth one? So so so, Jay, let's just make a note of this. Okay, so be his fifth uh entry into into the musical universe that we are.
Speaker 1: Not part of it anyway. Background something, yeah something, background snatch.
Speaker 3: Even on records.
Speaker 2: Literally like you look on a line of those niggasy snap who sadly I'd like to be involved.
Speaker 1: Bro, Well you already know. Sometimes so we.
Speaker 4: Listen, you'll be out of the country though sometimes.
Speaker 2: I'm only out of the country once a year.
Speaker 1: It's in July. We can plan around.
Speaker 4: I'm back, I'm back to tonight tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, listen.
Speaker 2: I think it's like and I think for what we are is like we're you know, we're the bridges, and we're always trying to just make and keep the connection.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: As you are, as you are in the space where you are building your new R and B career, we are just guys that.
Speaker 1: Would just love to help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it, that's all. We don't need nothing from you. What we require is that.
Speaker 3: You kill them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all we care about, Okay, and we're gonna put the battery, the battery in your back.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: He was performing somewhere the other days.
Speaker 3: Man, I want to go pull up on it, I said, called it was a vibe.
Speaker 1: It it was a vibe. I hit him.
Speaker 3: I said he had he had posted that he was gonna be in l A.
Speaker 1: I hit him.
Speaker 5: I said, send me the info. He send me the info. It's like, Okay, this ship is far.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 1: It's fun, you know what, for the love R and B. For the love of R and B, I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna pull up on a young fella because for me, I've been a fan from afar of just appreciating the music that you were putting out, and just from having conversations with other industry insiders as they would call him that have always spoken so highly of you as well, and and just and meeting you in past. I'm like, oh, it's a really nice dude. I'm supporting you know what I mean, I'm supporting him. So I was like, you know what, I'm gonna take the ride. I'm go out there and see what he do, and then you would work the trip, appreciate short performance, you know what I Mean's like, yeah, I'm just going up for you know, about ten minutes, fifteen minutes. But I got to see from stage presence to uh vocally the way you handled the crowd, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, because it wasn't.
Speaker 2: At first, I thought it was a show as well, Like I didn't know, you know, I didn't know that the full spectrum of you know, what the event.
Speaker 1: Was going to be.
Speaker 5: But that didn't matter to me because I was I was coming to support some thinking I'm just I'm going to a show. But then I'm like, okay, he's it's like a.
Speaker 2: Venue, outdoor vibe party, kick it, but some performance.
Speaker 1: And that's not always easy for artists, absolutely, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, like having conversations, I mean like like singing, why people are having conversations and parts of the cabody right right, right right.
Speaker 3: That's real that.
Speaker 2: You were able to command that crowd. You were able to zone in.
Speaker 5: In into you know, into the audience and really locking with them and and and get.
Speaker 1: Your ship off.
Speaker 5: And I just appreciated that, man, because I feel like we're lacking, especially in mail R and B. We're lacking presence and we're lacking man hours. M hm, okay, we're lacking man hours because I because here's the other funny part.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna tell you there. I take you today.
Speaker 3: They made me pay what that made me pay?
Speaker 1: I haven't paid for anything or any kind of meaning stopping me and.
Speaker 2: Podcast nigga the music you be doing niggah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get I.
Speaker 5: Get to I get to the door, and the guy I think I probably still have because I paid with cash app, so I got that nigga name in my phone charged me.
Speaker 1: Are you serious? He said, yeah, you know the list hasn't been working. Yo, No, this hasn't been working. It hasn't been working. Why he thought that one? That's crazy. I came to support I spent my money too. Bro.
Speaker 3: You should have told me.
Speaker 2: Bro, But that's lambing about it now, Like no, but like no nigga, like I had a full thing, like where I He's like, yeah, so it's gonna be oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Cool, that's cool. Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 5: But listen, Wow, I came to support you. I wasn't gonna be like, yeah, well you let me hit to right now. I'ven I got crazy.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? That just made.
Speaker 4: Because I said, like, I can show you the list, said it was prepared.
Speaker 2: He said, he said that they was. They was having a problem that's that's figured out right, and real niggas don't hit you when they stuck outside, They're like, listen, figure this thing out quick. And I hollered my guy like what but like, hey man, you going on stage. I'm not about to be.
Speaker 3: Like hey man, they got me at the door, right right, right right. I appreciate you with that.
Speaker 1: I can't believe they charge Yeah, they charged me. They charged me. I charged y'all, y'all hear this charge people people that.
Speaker 2: That's probably why I'm not shouting at the event either. Niggas charged me, You're gonna do this to me?
Speaker 6: To me.
Speaker 4: From I'm from Jersey, from Jersey, yep, Marlton, New Jersey, Marlton. That's that's in the trees, bro. I'm down south, like thirty minutes from Philly, so.
Speaker 1: Close to Philly. Yeah, okay, yeah yeah? Is that the roots?
Speaker 2: Is that the is that the is that the starting from from Philly?
Speaker 4: My mom's from Burlington and I went to church in Philly too, so I think that's.
Speaker 1: That would drive to church?
Speaker 4: Ye yeah, yeah, yep, minutes a whole another state, right right, but it was it is right there.
Speaker 3: It's a bridge away. But yeah, that's why I got every thing from I grew.
Speaker 4: Up in trial was always at church, Bro. I was church Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. My mom worked at the church and then was on the choir. So I was there Saturday Sunday. Just I had no choice to be around music and to learn.
Speaker 1: So, so was your mother and father involved in the church? Is just your mother?
Speaker 4: So my dad he was a drummer for a while, and then and then he stopped playing drums. And then my mom she continued to sing on the choir and then directed the choir.
Speaker 3: So I was there, bro traveling.
Speaker 1: On when did you get your solo?
Speaker 4: When did you you know what's crazy? I was shy as a kid. I did not want to sing in front of nobody. I didn't even sing in front of her. When she asked me, I'd be like, I'm good, I'm gonna play the drums. So you're a drummer, Oh yeah, I started that three.
Speaker 1: That's your first? That my first love? Are you nice? Nice?
Speaker 3: I'm nice?
Speaker 1: I'm nice like Tony Royster nice.
Speaker 3: See that's another level.
Speaker 1: Are you better? Are you better than Anderson Pack?
Speaker 4: He's a pocket?
Speaker 1: You know what? Though?
Speaker 3: I would like I would like for us to have a drummer.
Speaker 2: Off and and nice want the drum of Hey, I'm not sacking down.
Speaker 4: I'll off against anybody.
Speaker 1: I played the drums too, but I'm out of practice. How many histories do you play?
Speaker 4: So I play, I play drums, bass, a little bit of keys, guitar, and then the same.
Speaker 1: So when did did you pick up all of these in church? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like literally by ear too. No, nobody taught them.
Speaker 5: Nobody, Like you're the kid that's literally in there, like okay, let me see what I can do with this exactly, and like people will people be playing in church and and you know, you know how kids would be, you know, like be crowding around, and then I'll have my little sticks in my pocket wait for somebody be like, get up on the play, play a little something something.
Speaker 4: And then if you if you play and it was kind of cool, they let you drop. But if you was like making too much noise and it wasn't good, all right, get your ass off the yeah, come on, yeah, yeah, get down. So I would just be there watching everybody do everything. In the moments that I wasn't playing the drums, I was watching smart play the organ or somebody played the keys.
Speaker 3: This somebody played the guitar. I'm just like, okay, that's cool. And then the first song I learned how to play is a diary.
Speaker 4: Who diary? At least diary? The first one you learn key got the first.
Speaker 3: Song len I'll play. I was watching it was just like, okay, he's in the black keys. That's what it is.
Speaker 4: Getting all the black kids.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, this ones I discovered, yeah, together, those are the cool ones to me.
Speaker 1: So like my first song was there it is God in the Morning and such horized.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah he stayed stay away from the white don't know what.
Speaker 2: And they scared me because one of my grandmother tried to put me in music. She put me in music and they were like okay middle c and I was here with it.
Speaker 1: I was like yeah, no, no good.
Speaker 2: But once you start playing in church and play long enough, and you have to catch people during devotional time starting in a right right, you got to follow them in a You got to pick it up. You got to learn quickly how y'all to have perfect pitch. You can't start no song in a Why are we singing in E?
Speaker 1: Who does this right? Right? But that's So how fluent are you in guitar.
Speaker 4: I'm actually better in guitar than I am at keys, And like I learned keys well enough to just produce, Like I started producing it like eleven. But at eleven, at eleven, how does that start?
Speaker 1: Though? Like, dude, you ask your parents to get you equipment.
Speaker 4: So okay, So I'll give you a rundown. So I was in a group a long time ago and it was my best friend, and he is like a genius when it comes to just rigging stuff up and being able to record. So we had he had like all old gear from church, like the tape machines and things like that.
Speaker 1: He rigged it.
Speaker 4: Up so that we could just be able to record. And so he would just press record on I could. I don't even know how to do it today, but your press record on the tapes and stuff it was wired to something else. He'd be like, all right, cool, we live press play on the track, and we in there singing temptations, my girl, my girl, my girl.
Speaker 3: Talking about right. So we're doing that.
Speaker 4: Play it back, No, we was off, then we all do it again.
Speaker 3: We wasn't sounding good.
Speaker 4: Everything, Yeah, exactly, yep, yep, So back then we was probably like the Crazy Party, were probably seven or eight, seven and eight doing stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So then I got my hands.
Speaker 4: On fruity loops. I got my hands on fruity loops, and that change my life. So he was like, Yo, this is how you do that. That's how you make the drums sounds, is how you do the patterns. Yeah, and that was that bro, and I just fell down the rabbit hole. And so my parents they was like, all right, cool, We're just gonna baughtch your computer or actually it was the family computer, and I just put fruity loops on there.
Speaker 3: I was taking a boll of storage and ship. They had no memory and ship.
Speaker 2: Why it's fifty beats right right right, but now it's fruity loops.
Speaker 1: Man was at eleven? Were you writing.
Speaker 3: Songs to the beats too? Or you're just doing beats? So no, that was a crazy prob. I was just making beats. I didn't I was not thinking about your first.
Speaker 1: Beats to me. I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I thought it was kind of dope.
Speaker 1: I thought it was kind of dope.
Speaker 4: It was like, obviously you hearing back now, I'm like, oh, that's cute.
Speaker 2: But he's as crazy as a young beat maker, like playing your beats like for people people.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what those faces back then.
Speaker 2: Everybody was just you know, I thought everybody liked it. It's like, oh, you really are glass half for this.
Speaker 4: He's got potential.
Speaker 1: In my mind, I'm like, I'm killing these I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna get I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 1: You know, you're talking to the swool chairs. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just didn't know my tracks with trash, I know, because in my mind, I'm just using what I got.
Speaker 4: You know, I would like burn CDs and anytime I'll go with my mom somewhere, I'll be like, yo, I'll burn like ten beats on CD, right, and be like.
Speaker 3: All right, mama, I got I got my CD and.
Speaker 4: Sometimes all right, you know, put so you play the CD. She would be very supportive on the ones that have potential, and then on the ones that she didn't like it.
Speaker 3: I realized that she would be on the phone.
Speaker 4: She's turned down your first. She was honest, honest with it. She was like, oh, why did you pick that sound? But it's supportive though, you know, never be like oh that was whack. But she was like okay, maybe you should go back to the drawing board and change that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, my mom, she was honest with it. Was supporting me though.
Speaker 1: That's super cool.
Speaker 2: My parents didn't really know what that was, you know what I'm saying. So they was like, all I hear is a bunch of noise coming out your room. You got to turn that down certain TV amp. Oh wow, you know what I'm saying. And my my synthesize and plugged up to the amp crazy and I'm literally.
Speaker 1: Like sun up son down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I might have only eight once a day. You just he was just noise.
Speaker 1: I was just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, making track because I had a discus. It was a PV keyboard. Okay, most people don't know about that p v D p M four. I got it, show you put my disc in it, and then I don't had But you still have the same exact one. You still have it. That crazy you kept it some me mental. It only had eight tracks to make music, so I had to figure out my drums, my keys, my baby figure all that out in eight tracks. So sometime I had put the kick in the snare on the same track.
Speaker 3: Didn't get to the.
Speaker 2: Way I figured it out. Was kind of crazy. But I didn't think my tracks were cool until I get on the road with Genuine and I bring my keyboard, maybe make some tracks or something, and I'm making tracks and I'm just genuine like, that's just so, that's I got something that sounds like something.
Speaker 1: And come walking Timbling. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh ship, So I meant Timberland for the first time. He's riding our bus. He's what you got?
Speaker 1: What did you do? What you do?
Speaker 2: I said, I'm just making making some beats. So I played him somebody he said is He's liked, let's make one together.
Speaker 1: That dope. That dope. Yeah, I never heard that story. That's dope.
Speaker 2: So me and Timbling making a big bobbing heads on on the DP and four of course, you man, okay, what I got to use my pen because I broke that button.
Speaker 1: Rre.
Speaker 2: He an't even seen the ship she was working on, Like what is this?
Speaker 1: Is it? He's like okay, yeah? And Nick, that's when I was he was like this, Yeah, I like that. I like what you're doing.
Speaker 5: And how many years of noise were you making in your parents' basement before this moment?
Speaker 2: At this at this point, I'm twenty one two. I've been making.
Speaker 3: Noise, making noise, crazy, making.
Speaker 1: Noise since eighth seventh grade? What seventh eighth grade?
Speaker 3: Just making noise. Oh yeah, you gotta you gotta pay for every Vegans trip.
Speaker 1: I want to go every No drum set in the house? Hell no?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, no drum set in the house. Yeah, and the keyboard.
Speaker 3: So would you play the song and then play the drums to the song that you made?
Speaker 2: No, No, I was just I was just practice for whatever I was going to play on Sunday. Okay, all right, you know what I'm saying, practicing my chops and everything house at the house. It was never both at the same saying, like the drums were in the house or in the garage in.
Speaker 1: The house, in my bedroom like step brothers. Yeah, drums set.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, hell no, I wish I would my kids have a drum set.
Speaker 1: In the house.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 7: You know that's why you get the electric my father, Yes, enough, yes, enough, cut it out.
Speaker 1: It's making noise, bro that long. It takes that. But it's like they didn't know.
Speaker 2: It was like when the new movies in Church, you know, of course from the musician, and it all works out.
Speaker 1: In church.
Speaker 2: But in terms of what I was trying to be m M or what even I didn't know what I was working towards. I was just wanted to be good at it's. In fact, I wanted to sound like Timberland. I wanted to sound like commission shout out to the investors. We always shout out the investors, yeah, meaning the supportive parents. My mom bought synthesizers. Absolutely did not have the money for it, and we was paying payment on.
Speaker 3: Look at that synthesizers got you'all on now.
Speaker 1: My little nigga, Y know that's crazy, that's great.
Speaker 5: So you so you start yours at eleven, Start yours at eleven where you got fruity loops, y'all got a new computer. Guess because you didn't, you didn't burnt out the house sample, it's time.
Speaker 1: For you to make.
Speaker 4: I was recording over my mom's consette tapes and ship with my with my Ship and messing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wilding. But were you in your mind? Were you were you searching for this place or were you just trying to Just.
Speaker 3: Was just making music because I loved it.
Speaker 1: Literally, it was very pure for you.
Speaker 4: Pure pure ass can be like yeah, back then, I wouldn't have told you, you know, it was here exactly. It was just like, yo, I love this, Like there's a feeling that I get when I do this I'm not getting from anything else, So I'm gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 2: How many years of noise are you making until you're yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what? You know what?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I had a drum set, I'll say. Okay, I'll say when I was eight nine, That's when I got my first real drum set.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 3: I would say up to.
Speaker 4: Like twelve, I think nine to twelve I was making noise. And then like thirteen and on is when it was like, oh he kind of good.
Speaker 1: You were sweet? Are you doing talent shows? Are you?
Speaker 3: I'm in the band and you sang?
Speaker 1: Have the girls okay discovered you yet? Yeah?
Speaker 4: South Jersey absolutely. So this is what we would do.
Speaker 3: We were in a group at the time, and this is around.
Speaker 1: The name of the group. We like to know the names that this man.
Speaker 4: This group had a few names because they had a few members and it kept changing.
Speaker 3: But first, we're not gonna let you get out of telling this to no.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no no, I'm gonna tell you i'm gonna tell you. I'm gonna tell you so so.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just start here. We was it was a new phase, new phase at one point. Then we changed it to act one.
Speaker 2: Act one okay, Act one started, start the movie. I got okay, Acting one back one okay. And then it changed to s J three South Jersey three.
Speaker 1: It's straight three. Sounds like a sweatsuit, but I get it.
Speaker 2: The new third edition drop next week. The boy edition play belt swayed. So yeah, J three obviously was three.
Speaker 3: You got yeah, three of us and we would go around to the mall.
Speaker 4: We were doing sweet sixteens, but we were in that era of like passing out the sex tape like cards and like go to the mall and sing and and then sometimes you circle back around after being in the mall all day and you see.
Speaker 3: Your fly on the ground.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been hanging out the trash be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that was that was my childhood.
Speaker 1: Were you making some money off of it? Were you're getting a little bit of money?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, not even for the parties?
Speaker 3: No, no, well no not really, not really.
Speaker 4: It was just like hey, call, we want to perform, Yeah, have them boys pull up and perform boys. They're pretty good and they're gonna do it for free, so we we pulled up.
Speaker 3: It is exposure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember one time though, we pulled up because like the music we was doing, right, we was never on tho like hood ship.
Speaker 3: We didn't. I didn't grow up like in the hood.
Speaker 4: So the music we was doing was kind of like mixed between like you know, we we loved and sync, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Obviously we loved like Boys to Men, we love New Edition, but it was mixed.
Speaker 1: We was getting our B two KO.
Speaker 4: We were now and we were we were at some points, but we would we would make B.
Speaker 3: Two K sound and records.
Speaker 4: But then we would make really pop sound and records too, you know, because YouTube's around was trying to you know, sometimes trying to go viral and stuff like that. It was like, we need to cover these songs, man, these pop songs going up.
Speaker 1: So all y'all black yep.
Speaker 3: So we would go to so all right.
Speaker 4: There's one specific time I remember it was a sweet sixteen and and we was pulling up and one of the members like, yeah, I got this, you know, I got this party, And they said we could perform. This isn't that it's gonna be lit. We pull up and I'm like, oh, ship, we in.
Speaker 1: The hood, the hood.
Speaker 4: We pull up, you know, niggas outside, you know, and this is a sweet sixteen and there's niggas outside that look grown.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, this is the hood niggas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: The niggas about to perform.
Speaker 2: No strings at jahn what yo.
Speaker 4: So we get up on stage and we're trying to do our thing, and I just remember, and that's why it built. It built character, because I remember niggas was just like, man, turn that ship off, walking around like so we was in formation, you know what I'm saying, like the three member formation. Okay, somebody walked in between our formation.
Speaker 1: What you niggas gonna do? Right? We ain't?
Speaker 4: We was like, and I'm a sing bro, I'm gonna ahead and hit the dance moves around you. Y'all kept performing, and we kept performing.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: We kept love them professional and the girl loved it. She loved it.
Speaker 3: The girl party that was for she loved it, and that's all that matters. But I was like, yo, you're gonna get jump.
Speaker 1: Ain't gonna try to sing.
Speaker 3: We're just trying to just trying to do music.
Speaker 2: Bro. So we got we got we gotta do better as the people we got so aggressive.
Speaker 1: We gotta do better. Oh you niggas want to sing? Can you fight?
Speaker 4: Can you?
Speaker 1: Can you fight? Can you? My good at the car? I think you're sweet. We gotta stop thinking sweet? Like going together? And she wanted us to perform.
Speaker 2: His explanations are what why.
Speaker 1: Are you here? Why you even here?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: It's the sweet sixteen man. This is to walk to y'all said too, if y'all come in my neighborhood.
Speaker 4: We wasn't we were doing originals, but like you know, we were We weren't that crazy.
Speaker 1: We wasn't about to go up there. But it had a pop feel to it some of them. Yeah you had a whole set.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a little fifteen minutes. I'm gonna tell you right now, out there dying for fifteen minutes, like, oh my god, bro, ship can't get over fast enough.
Speaker 3: I won't go home, go home.
Speaker 1: Can't go home. But y'all stayed in it. That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what happened to s J three?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 4: I mean we eventually we met I think around the time none of no, no, no no. You met me a little bit afterwards, but Jazz ended up signing the group I'm familiar with. I'm familiar with s J three. So I meet Jazz. I met Jazz through a Marion. Okay, I don't know if you had already met Jazz before, but I met Jazz through a Marion. We're working on like the I Get It In and those records that we.
Speaker 1: Were doing for.
Speaker 2: Oh, and me and him got cool, and I remember Tank and I started working with some young fellas from Houston, from Beaumont called a twelve tier, and me and Jazz was in the studio and he's like, man, I got I got these I got these young niggas out of out of out of Jersey. These niggas is cold, right, And I'm like, Nigga, we got some young niggas we fucking with, our nigga from your backyard.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, if they if they're from Texas, I know, I know, I know. I found Drake. I'm like, that does Drake has nothing? So what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Jazz, put Drake's up right right right right.
Speaker 1: So we're going back and forth.
Speaker 2: I'm like, nigga, why I'm gonna show you these niggas YouTube the niggas used to do all the YouTube they was cooking.
Speaker 5: And then he showed me y'all and I said him, so literally what I said to him, I said him, what you mean him, M.
Speaker 1: That's your guy? That's crazy. That was just my But that was just my opinion, right.
Speaker 2: This is because in this business is subjective, right, It's all about opinions and what you know resonates to you and what you see that you attached to first just and I and it could have been the group for some people, but.
Speaker 1: For me personally, I saw you.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: That nigga called.
Speaker 5: Fast forward to him being like you ever heard his young nigga name? I said, nah, I never heard of him.
Speaker 1: And he shows me.
Speaker 3: I said, that's a nigga from the group.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, he fucking with Jazz. I said, oh, he took him out the group.
Speaker 5: I don't know how, you know what I mean, I don't know I transpired and what ended up happening, but I'm like, it was him to me.
Speaker 1: It's just my just my opinion.
Speaker 4: And the crazy thing is I feel like everything happened for a reason, of course, and they they my brothers.
Speaker 3: We liked this to this day.
Speaker 4: And Desmond, that's one of the other members, he blew up on some whole different.
Speaker 1: Ship, blew up big, just huge.
Speaker 3: So did the other one on TikTok, And I'm like, see, it was it was personality.
Speaker 1: There was more about the personal and.
Speaker 4: It was it was like it was supposed to happen that way, you know what I'm saying, And for me to just do my thing and everybody do their thing.
Speaker 3: And that's how I mean it split up. But I think it worked out for the for the better for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody got moving exactly.
Speaker 1: So what did.
Speaker 5: You guys, because I never knew it from a group standpoint, did you guys ever put out music as a group?
Speaker 4: We we put out maybe there's like one EP that we did and and that was it, like like and just for real iTunes and stuff like that on DSPs and that was it. And then we had got signed after that to Jazz, So we were working like we was working and working for a few years and it just didn't happen that way. And then you know, they some of the members went back home to New Jersey. One of the members had his son, so he had he had to be a dad, and it just kind of just naturally just took his course.
Speaker 3: So I was still out here at the time.
Speaker 4: This is probably like I say, like twenty fifteen, and that's when I was just in my writing and producing bag. Like twenty fourteen twenty fifteen, I was really just like all right, you know, sometimes I'll be doing the group stuff when he was a group, but I'll find time when I was off and I'll just be like, yo, I got this idea, I got the latest. I gotta make this song, right. So I made a whole ton of songs, and what happened in that batch of songs that I.
Speaker 1: Made was Liquor.
Speaker 4: Make Love stuff that landed with Chris and even on the mixtape this song he got called come Home to Night that I did, Eat It Up. I simpled Jana Jackson Escapade and like, those were those was the songs that I was making, and.
Speaker 1: Those are your first placements.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how do you get to Chris Jazz Jazz? Yeah, So it was it was one night. So we we just had to be like twenty fourteen, you did the beat on Liquor co produced nasty. Yeah. It me and my bro the Acuarus Aquarius nasty Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you wrote it yep, naturally my room in Jersey.
Speaker 4: I was home at the time, but yeah, okay, Jersey, Yeah yeah, right, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Bro man.
Speaker 4: And that was the one man that was the one that really changed and changed everything for me.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you were you able to it was okay.
Speaker 5: So when that happened for you, you get this record, you get your you get a hit record, you get a record that everybody knows and everybody now.
Speaker 1: Knows you four. Do you feel like you fully.
Speaker 5: Promoted that is in like, you know, going about making a name for yourself.
Speaker 1: Or did you just let it happen.
Speaker 4: I didn't if I could rewind, because I don't regret anything, But if I could rewind, I wish I did promote in more of a business behind it, you know what I'm saying. At the time, it was like, oh, things is happening, Like this is crazy, this is great shit. Let me keep creating, Let me keep creating, you know, let me stay out studio rat, like studio Rat, y'are sleeping in the studio just making music, like y'all. I just got to make more music and then more things like this will happen.
Speaker 1: Did you do a publishing deal anything? Nothing?
Speaker 4: Oh, pub deal nothing, Because in my mind I was like, you know what, I'm gonna build up my catalog. I'm gonna build up my worth and then I'll do a publil okay. But I really do wish that at that time though that I was really like on on that socially, you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, Like I did this on the business of it exactly. I wish I was outside and like, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, because yeah, if you're if you're if if the conversation has a face, not just the name, right, then it makes the creative process in terms of getting to artists and getting.
Speaker 1: To A and R, is a whole lot easier.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you did the record two years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't know initially that you did the record until later. I was like, oh shit, they like you know, Tom wrote like Nigga had no idea he.
Speaker 1: Created that record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say, now I started, you know, start promoting it now.
Speaker 5: But you're still find it's still fine because it's you know, it's about discovery and Rediscovery. But you know, I always always wonder, you know, especially from for your generation, with understanding what the self promotion is. You know, I and I go, I go back to and I've mentioned him a few times, Tyler the Creator when he's like, I don't understand why people don't promote their stuff. You spend all your time creating it, but then you only promote it for the week that it's out, Like Nigga, No, it doesn't go away that you did that record.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll still talk about a record I did twenty years ago because I did it.
Speaker 5: I just did it, right, Yeah, why not? It's part of you. It's your accomplishments. When we when we look and see how many times Michael Jordan made the All Star Game, they don't take away he still talk it's a thirteen year All Star, it's fifteen whatever the lebron been in the All Star Game twenty thousand times.
Speaker 1: They all say name, right.
Speaker 5: Right, I mean it's like I'm saying on you know, they're talking about the Bubble Championship. I said, yeah, and I also celebrate all my adult league championships too, right, wins wins, brother, Yeah, exactly, exact. You have wins, promote those wins and for the for the artists, for the writers, for the people that are watching. It's like when you get your wins, man, talk about your wins, bro absolutely, because these people will talk about your losses fast fast.
Speaker 1: They can't wait to tell to send your losses viral. Look look at when you looking at it? Somebody, come look at this, somebody, I'm looking at this. Nigga fell off stage. Been on thousand stages and didn't fall. But the one time you want to dance, you know what, even doing.
Speaker 2: Amazing dancing all his life, why did he pull the white man down to He tried to pull it. The white man's just a casualty. He's like, he's like I was holding on to him. Then I realized I was about to pull him down to it. I said, I can't do that. I gotta let him go. I gotta let him go.
Speaker 1: You gotta you have you have to stand in front of it. Yeah, that has That was a.
Speaker 4: Huge and I mean, I'm glad you're telling me this because that was a huge lesson that.
Speaker 2: I still like, I'm like, damn, could outside and outside would have been different?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: For real, for real, it's the thing when niggas is when you know when you when you do go like you said, you've been outside a little more when you go outside and nigga.
Speaker 1: Like nigga, you wrote you're a liquor. That's the nigga that wrote.
Speaker 5: Because we don't understand sometimes too, when you put your head down and you just work that those moments that you may miss out by going to this such and such event and you just happened to meet That's how we end up meeting Cardiac.
Speaker 2: Who produced when we for us just like that too randomly. It wasn't even supposed to be there.
Speaker 1: He don't even he didn't even make R and B beats.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: He made rap beats. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was like, I say, I said, you can do R and B beats. Yeah, I make crazy. I don't make a crazy R and B beat nigga.
Speaker 5: I make a crazy Cardiacy through an introduction through mutual friends, through through through chasing cash and Matt McNeil being like, oh this is our this was our o g amen me and then hyping him up and we take they take their word for it. And then now he sent us a B pack if he don't show up to that event. And we don't show up to that event, we never get win we that's crazy.
Speaker 2: When we from outside, we from outside place e p L B P L E L on the rooftop outside.
Speaker 1: If we don't go, it never happened. That record.
Speaker 5: That's a life changing record for us, not just for him, for us, for our business, for what we do. If we don't go there, that dyke, you never get win.
Speaker 3: We that's crazy. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying you gotta be everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's it's something that just outside outside, but you have to.
Speaker 3: You have like you got to go to some stuff for me.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm really understanding that, Like I'm in full like okay, oh there's an event going on. Cool, let's let's pull up, you know, manager, Like, Yo, you need to be at this cool, no problem, Like I'm there.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I wish because I was way younger back then too, So it's just like, yo, I just really wish that I was.
Speaker 1: He's still twelve. I would have fruity loose. You couldn't get.
Speaker 2: I had fruity loose for breakfast.
Speaker 1: I was younger than.
Speaker 2: You couldn't even get in the right we wouldn't even being able to meet you because you get it, like, let it me in Hollywood, and that is the thing.
Speaker 1: Hollywood. Hollywood is like this right.
Speaker 2: While you hot, while you you know, while you got things cracking, like it's.
Speaker 1: Just to pull up and you only got to do a.
Speaker 3: Few of them.
Speaker 2: You just got to pull up the right way, right right to the right spots. Yeah, shake the right security guys hand, shake the right club promoter's hand.
Speaker 3: Be introduced by the right person, be introduced by the right person.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like jazz is the right person, the perfect person, perfect person.
Speaker 1: Everybody with jazz, yeah, you know, everybody. And once you do that and once they associated.
Speaker 3: He good, he's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever he wants.
Speaker 2: And he's been hyping you from the beginning. Absolutely from the beginning. He called me early that's my dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got this nigga exactly. Let's see what you're talking about. Don't know RMB take you know, I know R and B. I love R and B.
Speaker 3: Man jazz R and B singer.
Speaker 2: If you can say that what your whole RMV He gets it, Yeah, understands it.
Speaker 1: He knows his music. Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But that pull up is a different pull up for you that you know and it's still you know to this day, you can still utilize it. But for the artists that are watching this and the writers that are watching, it's like, yeah, when you get when you get that win, go celebrate that win a little bit up pull up, yeah.
Speaker 1: Side.
Speaker 2: So you got your fifth project coming out, right, So let's just talk like exploration in terms of your first four projects and what do you feel like you've learned. How do you feel like you've grown starting from project one.
Speaker 4: So my first project dropped in twenty seventeen. It was called Can We Talk? And I actually think that project organically did amazing for me, Like it really did put me on the map. I remember Drake actually came to one of my rehearsals when I was getting ready to go on tour with August I've seen it.
Speaker 3: He was like, Nigga, that's incredible, bro, I can't do that.
Speaker 4: You killing it and ship. So it was a it was a crazy moment. But I know, as far as making that project, it was a lot of just let me just try something new, let me try something different, and really just trying to find myself in music. I know I'm a huge fan of Michael a huge fan of Prince. But I know at the time, you know, it was like, you know, Bryson had that crazy run with trap soul, and.
Speaker 3: I know in the industry that was the that was the sound.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying that if it wasn't if it wasn't sounding like that, then you know, he wasn't getting played. So just using that as a bass, I was really just trying to create in that box but still have those elements of Mike and Prince and the things that I love about music.
Speaker 3: And so it was really you know that's the word. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was really just exploring a lot learning. And then the second project I dropped is called uh.
Speaker 3: Good Company.
Speaker 4: And so after can We Talk, did this thing like it made some noise and it was cool, and people was like, Okay, Tony's on the radar. The singles would let Me and I think the other song that did really good was it's called Miss California, and so people were like, all right, we heard them songs we love let me, So then we do Good Company. And that's the second second second yeap so I had I had Sway Lee on that one, Quavo and Tie Dollar Sign, which was dope and.
Speaker 3: That one same thing.
Speaker 4: It was like records that I had already and records that we just created just randomly. But it was like, Okay, this is sounding good as a group of music, you know what I'm saying, Like, let's let's make a little project out of this and call it Good Company.
Speaker 3: And I ain't gonna lie though.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite songs is on that song on that project called ticket There, and that's what Tie Dollars signed, And I think that one really, like I don't know, it just had his own life, it still has his own life. So that one was still still trying to find myself, still growing still, like okay, I'm you know, I'm still experimenting. I know you're putting these out through the label YEP, it's all through RCA.
Speaker 3: But their only mixtapes, Yeah, just.
Speaker 4: EPs EP though EPs Yeah, yeah, not like but not official, not official album.
Speaker 2: Well could letting you build but not counting towards necessarily your album exactly.
Speaker 4: It was just like, let's let's let him figure it out, let's let him find himself.
Speaker 3: Okay, so put those out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 4: Good Company was twenty eighteen, so twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, back to back.
Speaker 1: So then.
Speaker 4: Damn, I don't know if I shared it, I don't know, see, but it was very it was real ironic that we had that conversation with Sean and because in twenty nineteen, I'll just say this, that year it almost felt like everything was going like this, and then it just started doing this, just like I was just like, what the fuck is going on? Bro, shit, It's just feels stagnant. It feels like I don't feel like I'm growing like it just you know, in the business, it was a lot of things going on, a lot of confusion, a lot of new managers and management coming in and going out, and I was like, just like, what the fuck? Like that was probably one of the worst years that I had, like twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen into twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and I really felt like the label was gonna drop me. I felt like they was gonna drop me twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 4: I hit up so I go on tour with her in twenty eight team So shout out Jeff and MBK. They allowed me to go on tour with her, and I, you know, really got to be around them. And be around Jeff and see how everybody operate. They got to learn about me and my situation and you know what was going on. So when that moment hit in twenty nineteen, I didn't have a manager anymore and my situation was kind of just in the air.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what the label was about to do me.
Speaker 4: So I hit up Jeff and Jason and I'm just like, yo, you know, I don't have any management. My back is against the wall. I don't have a good feeling about my situation. I don't know what's about to happen. I feel like I'm about to get dropped and I need help. And Jason was like, Okay, let me talk to Jeff, let me see what's up.
Speaker 3: And literally after that.
Speaker 4: Came back to me and was like, yo, Jeff said he's down to manage you. So from the end of twenty nineteen till now you know, NBK got involved, Jason got involved, Jazz still involved, and it just started doing this, started going back up, we started getting traction again, and then we dropped the project Fuck with Me. So Fuck with Me was like it was cool because now I felt like I had a team that was really taking the time to make me.
Speaker 3: Figure out who I was. Before that, I was just I.
Speaker 4: Had the mindset of a writer and a producer, so I was never really tapped into the artist artists mindset. I didn't know how to be an artist until recently. So it was like, Yo, just I'm gonna make songs. I'm a studio, right, I'm gonna just make these songs. I'm gonna make that one. But I wasn't being an artist, and so when Fuck with Me came, it was.
Speaker 3: Really like, Yo, what do you want to say? Who do you want to be? Like you can?
Speaker 4: You have this freedom? You got this freedom?
Speaker 1: You just you gotta just do it.
Speaker 4: So we dropped Fuck with Me. And it's crazy because that record did really good for me. It like caught on and people. That was the first time in my life where I started to go out in public and people be like, hey, you fuck with Me guy, like, and I'm like, the fuck with the name of the song, guy, it's crazy to me, Like I never got that, Like you're the fuck with Me guy, and I'm like, that's new. So we dropped Fuck with Me. Then we dropped in that same year, we dropped the Part two. He was like fuck it, let's just we got some songs together. Fuck it, let's just keep going. We got this momentum going. And what's crazy is me and Chris would do I Ever? And you heard that song at Jazz's holl way back in like twenty seventeen. We had cut this song a while ago and never like could figure out the right time to drop it.
Speaker 8: Drop me, that's crazy, Brog about cash your name nigga?
Speaker 1: Right now? How much price? Full price?
Speaker 3: What's full price?
Speaker 1: I don't worry about.
Speaker 2: Just know when we full love, we're gonna do whatever we got to do to get in there and support our guy.
Speaker 3: I appreciate y'all. Man, I don't know, man, Tank, he's been rocking with me.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I remember playing Do I Ever for him in the studio for the first time.
Speaker 3: I remember you saying, what the fuck you doing?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 4: Literally that was that was it the you're doing, Bro, That's the biggest song in R and B.
Speaker 2: I just believe in and and like, you know, I know, I know you guys are I know the approach you're taking. You know what I'm saying. It's it's a stepping stones and building blocks. It's it's to grow in the audience and and and you know it's it's organic.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 2: I love it. But that song right there could have had a budget behind it and went to radio mm hmmm mm hmmm, and went crazy. I know it. Can't tell me nothing different, can't tell me nothing different. I get it, I get me.
Speaker 1: I agree. I'm I'm gonna respect your process.
Speaker 4: Bro, I agree.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you, I don't know who didn't hear it, who didn't see it? You said, I said, I said, right, I'll say this yep, yep, literally literally, are you holding this bomb?
Speaker 3: This bomb of a record bomb?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Anyway, listen, listen, you're in the business of writing hit records.
Speaker 1: You will make another one that keep going, yes, keep going?
Speaker 2: What you got over there, chief, what I got like this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Come on now, come on now, brother.
Speaker 1: Tone You're young, but come on now.
Speaker 2: Your journeys from the church house to the R and B Club, you've been able to develop some favorites.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. You R and B people want to know, if they want to want to know, come on, your.
Speaker 6: Top five, your top five, top five, your top five?
Speaker 1: Who else? All the songs we all to know? You got to show tell us you know, we want to love you. Top lujah.
Speaker 9: Wow your.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah I was nasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah yeah that'st you, brother, Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, your top five R and B singers. All right, can look at my list. I made a little list.
Speaker 1: You can talk at your list. What do you mean? What you know? Time? All right, your hour, dude, you want to do all right? So look.
Speaker 4: Top five artists. Mm hmmmm. At the five playing Center, I got Chris Brown. At the four power forward, I got Usher.
Speaker 1: At guard.
Speaker 3: Or small forward, I got Whitney Houston shooting guard. I'm Michael Jackson. And at the point I got Prince.
Speaker 4: Game Game and then and then the substitute. Six Man of the Year, six women of the Year. I should say it's Patty LaBelle.
Speaker 3: Six women of the Year.
Speaker 2: Yep, pattle the base to sing that somewhere over the rainbow m.
Speaker 1: I went on too paid LaBelle.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Of course you did right, amazing, spilled a little champagne if you don't mind. It was baby Face.
Speaker 2: I opened for the baby Face Wow, the Old Jays and Petty Label.
Speaker 4: That's gold status bro, and the ghost called me to do it as a faith.
Speaker 1: Wow. That guy that guy. It's one of my my one flex for the night.
Speaker 2: It's a great five. Okay, go to your let's go to your top five R and B songs.
Speaker 1: M I like it. I did, I did.
Speaker 4: I was in the car, I was like, hold up to write this out all right at center M we Got Silly by Denise Williams.
Speaker 1: That's at the five in me.
Speaker 4: Wow, yep, oh yeah, that's the I don't know. Every time I hear that song, it hit me different. I'll say, I'll say this.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, let me stay on track.
Speaker 4: Power Forward, love and Need and Want, Patti LaBelle, Yeah, small four, we got you Got It Bad? And I think with Usher you could put you could put you Got a Bad Burn superstar in that. You could just interchange them in that to me, okay, and I'm gonna keep it consistent. So after two like I want to be a lover Prince hm hmm, that's all.
Speaker 3: I changed, my life, changed my life. At what age do you discover I want to be a you know what?
Speaker 4: I first heard of Mike and Prince when I was eight years old. I knew I knew Mike's music before Prince, but the first thing that I've seen a Prince was is a Sign of the Times tour movie. So my dad used to watch that and when I'll you know that weekends, I'll be with him.
Speaker 1: Just it resonated with your soul.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bro, you didn't know.
Speaker 1: You didn't know why.
Speaker 4: I didn't know, no idea what I didn't know why he was like that man was up there going.
Speaker 2: Imagine going to school the next day Monday. You left your pops hops on Sunday on that Monday walking class.
Speaker 4: Hey girl, hot hot Dan, what's your fantasy.
Speaker 2: I wish one of them little niggas would running from my daughter singing that hot her daddy coming to the schoolhouse and I'll hit.
Speaker 1: A kid up shopping you up at number one.
Speaker 4: I got rocked with you, Michael Jackson. I think that's probably one of the greatest songs of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, you saw a groove, a boogie, all of it, all of that girl.
Speaker 3: Closure rest.
Speaker 2: That's a code open line because I can go anywhere to anyway, hold on anywhere.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, it's like go anywhere.
Speaker 6: Listen.
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm a lyric and I want to know where you're going with this. Hold on, watch.
Speaker 2: Whoa nothing nothing.
Speaker 1: Relaxed heads. Next to let's make your vote trying.
Speaker 3: Is let's uh hm hmm, let's make your super r and b artists.
Speaker 2: Who you're getting the vocal from, Who are you getting the performance style from? Who are you getting the styling from, Who are you getting the passion of the artists from, and who's writing and producing for that artist? Here we go, Let's start with the vocal. Who getting the vocal from?
Speaker 3: Getting the vocal from me?
Speaker 1: Come on, I'm gonna keep the vocal vocal. I want to sing the song.
Speaker 2: I want to sing the goddamn damn.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen. I'm David the Temptations.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna keep my voice.
Speaker 2: Performing style Mike, Yeah, Mike different, Mike different, electric.
Speaker 1: Styling, Prince, Prince, Now.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna wear the ship with the ass cut out.
Speaker 1: You can't say that. I don't say that. Yes he can, he can't.
Speaker 3: Wait because it's there's there's different.
Speaker 1: You either won't, Prince, or you won't or you don't.
Speaker 3: There's different error.
Speaker 1: You just want to see be sitting button on the horse, or you don't. You could be you can be the slave. You can't pick a prince be the artist. You either prince or not.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Sign of the Times. Prince.
Speaker 1: You can't pick a prince? Why not? I can't figure error? He picked the prince you want to be?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: He didn't get to pick the prince he wanted to be Prince the all time.
Speaker 4: Would be his artist, formally known as the eighty seven Prince.
Speaker 1: Bro course is crazy. You don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not wearing chaps.
Speaker 1: I'm not wearing.
Speaker 6: Who.
Speaker 1: You're getting the passion of the artists wrong?
Speaker 4: Yo, you know what passion? I'm gonna go with Aretha Franklin. Why not Aretha Franklin, Bro Franklin sweating sweat all over that Piana Piana?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, a different type of passion? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Who's writing and producing for this artist?
Speaker 4: Can I split the right? I'm gonna take a different approach and I'm gonna I'm gonna be creative with I'm gonna say Frank Ocean as a writer, say Frank Ocean as a writer and then producer. I'm gonna say salam Remy.
Speaker 5: Michael Jackson dancing to some salame Remy written by Frank Ocean sang By you.
Speaker 2: Know, no, Clami, I'm gonna say Salam, salamis am. Come on, come onto the podcast, puld you know what it is. I will pull up to your villa.
Speaker 1: We'll pull up to you wherever you recorded all this amazing?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, fal trying. I like you, Yes, sir.
Speaker 6: H.
Speaker 3: Black kid, black kids.
Speaker 1: Heard a white kid.
Speaker 2: I ain't saying no nick, ain't saying no necks, ain't saying no names.
Speaker 9: Are what you mean? Don't say I ain't saying no.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh man, I'm on we here, brother, Yeah, we know you watched the podcast. Yeah yeah, yeah, right now we needed we needed an important segment.
Speaker 5: I ain't saying no names. Will you tell us that story funny or fucked up? You know, maybe a R and B podcast nigga showed up to your show and had to pay Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Alright, all right, but you don't say that nigga name. Yeah, because you know the litenants game. You don't say no names.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And our new thing is you can tell us one or two. It's up to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, I'll start off with this.
Speaker 3: I got a d M.
Speaker 1: One day always starts there. Young niggas they get d M. I got it.
Speaker 3: I got a deal one day.
Speaker 1: And it was crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean for me. I was like, yo, you know this person hit me up. I mean she like certified, Like okay, okay, blue check.
Speaker 1: This is her?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah blue check on social media and in real life and we're like, this is her, Okay, it's her, She's her, you know, pull up to the studio.
Speaker 3: I'm working on this song and I want you to be a.
Speaker 1: Part of it.
Speaker 3: I want you to help write it. So I'm like, oh shit, let's hell, yeah, I'm there.
Speaker 4: I just had copped the E thirty, you know, the nineteen ninety BMW drop top convertible.
Speaker 1: Just copped it.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, let me put on. I'm coming to impress the pull up game.
Speaker 3: I was on my ship.
Speaker 4: Bro let me let me get my ship right. So I'm hopping in the car, got over three hundred thousand plus miles.
Speaker 3: I really shouldn't be driving this. It's not even registered in my name.
Speaker 1: I just bought it.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't should get the title and ship, but I'm driving.
Speaker 1: Got to impress. You gotta pull up.
Speaker 4: My license plates is connected to a nigga name.
Speaker 3: One so not even men. So you know I'm pulling up out here in Hollywood. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I get down here, I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 3: She hissed me.
Speaker 4: She's like, I'm not I'm not gonna be able to make it.
Speaker 1: And we're good.
Speaker 3: Me with me and this person good, there's nothing but good.
Speaker 1: We're good.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna be able to make it today. But the producers there, so just going with him and y'all finished di record and I'm like, all right, perfect, cool, I'm not even tripping. All right, I'm not gonna see her.
Speaker 3: You put all your smell goods on for your you know, but you know what.
Speaker 1: You want to use half the bottle. It's about the sound.
Speaker 4: It's about it's about the end of the day, at the end of the beginning, because in the morning.
Speaker 1: And I was.
Speaker 3: Time, okay, go ahead, So you know, she sent me the producer. I'm gonna cool. Hit him up.
Speaker 4: Hey bro, I'm here, I'm at the I'm at the studio, you know, cool.
Speaker 3: Hit him. Ten minutes go by, Oh shit, no response. So I'm like, all right, you.
Speaker 4: Know, maybe maybe bro busy working, maybe eating lunch, I don't know. Twenty minutes, starting to think I'm like, all right, you know, it's a little weird, but I mean the opportunity is, the opportunity is great.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm I'm gonna stick around, you know.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: Forty five minutes, I'm like, the fuck is going on? So at this point I'm just like, damn, bro, Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So I'm like, yo, hit him back. I'm like, I'm double texting now. You know, it's just me in the message now. So I'm like, hey, you know, if I'm gonna leave, you know what I'm saying. If you know you ain't saying nothing. You know, I'm I'm gonna go back to the valley, bro, Like you know, it's a long drive.
Speaker 1: Say shit.
Speaker 3: So I was there for an hour in my drop top, chilling.
Speaker 4: So I'm all right, cool, I'm leaving, bro, Get on the highway, get back on the one on one north. He assed me, like, oh, Bro, I didn't see I didn't see the text. I didn't see my phone go off. And I'm like, well, I'm going, Bro. I was down here for an hour, right. So then fast forward later on in the week, I talked to a certain A and R at the time, and I was like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was supposed to do a session with so and so you know, she.
Speaker 4: Told me to pull up and you know, I was excited or whatever, and it was you know, it's cool, it didn't happen, but you know, this was this is probably I'm gonna just say that.
Speaker 3: This was like Thursday, and he was like, oh, that's crazy. Oh and let me rewind.
Speaker 4: She said, you know, I'm not feeling good, so you know that that was the reason why she didn't come.
Speaker 3: I was all right, cool, understandable.
Speaker 1: I kid it.
Speaker 4: So I see a certain day in r I'm like, yeah, she said she wasn't feeling good that day. He's like, Yo, that's funny because I seen her that same day eating chicken outside somewhere and I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, cool damn.
Speaker 4: So that's how it went. So that was that's just the that's one of the stories.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, damn, bro, that was weird.
Speaker 1: Did you ever connect with the producer.
Speaker 3: Never after after that? After I was there for an hour, bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Did she ever say like, oh, come back tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 4: And then when the crazy part of the Dagger through the Heart was that the song came out and I was like that she was supposed to write on I was supposed to be on this song.
Speaker 3: Oh you knew the song that she was supposed to be on. Everything did it go big?
Speaker 1: It was? It was?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 3: It was pretty good good. That was the dagger though.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 3: I was like, what did I do?
Speaker 1: Did I do something?
Speaker 3: I pulled up and eat thirty brou.
Speaker 4: I was expected too much.
Speaker 1: Doing too much. Niggas looked at the little thing said, nah, he's trying to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, nah, he got his rig, James, Nah, he's trying to be.
Speaker 1: So that was one.
Speaker 3: But me and the person we cool.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 4: That was years ago. It's just funny now. And then alright, so another crazy story. This then happened to me, but it was it was crazy to witness this. So there is a certain somebody that I was on tour with and I'm not gonna lie, bro. This person was just he was just mean. Bro, he was just mean. Like I was on the whole tour and never met the man. Hhmm crazy. So one of these days, I don't know what city we was in, but you know it was cool. We always in the like the little hall loading dock, loading dock hallway and there's all this commotion going on outside, so we like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 3: So we see him, the person walk in, and he's like, you know, he's mad.
Speaker 4: He pushing everybody fuck out my way and this, this and that and calling people bitches and holes and.
Speaker 3: To funk out my way. And I kid you not.
Speaker 4: I seen this person spit on a woman security guard and I was like, bro, I used to look up to you, and I don't care how bad the situation is. I'm not spitting on no woman like that's just for just she doing her job. And that's That's just one of them fucked up stories that I was like, Wow, I will never act like that ever, ever, ever.
Speaker 3: So that's why people be like, don't change, don't change.
Speaker 4: I'm like, trust me, don't worry about it, because I've seen some ship that I did not want to be. I know what that's like, and I've seen how everybody in the room is just kind of like the fuck, like, so shit, I'm gonna leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I ain't saying names on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's real. Yeah m hmm.
Speaker 4: Right, Look, I'll do one more. I'll do one more to get rid of that one so this one's kind of funny though. I was on tour with another person and this is around the time where they was they was blowing up, there was popping, and this was like my first solo gig away from the group, first show. So we're down in Houston and it's crazy because, like you know, I dance, So I was training at this this dance studio called so Real Dance Studio, and we were prepping for this show.
Speaker 3: And I'm the opening act, but we like prepping and it's.
Speaker 1: That Warehouse Live.
Speaker 4: So you know, I don't know if you know Warehouse Live or how big the stage is, but it's pretty big. And I'm the opening act. But we prepping have like thirty dancers on stage. Like it's like, oh, we're gonna go crazy. We're gonna go all out. We in Houston, we jazz, you know, we in the city. We're gonna go crazy. Ooh, We're going all out.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It was you know, so that week and rehearsal week, hitting the ship. You know what I'm saying, combinations, you got girls coming over here, you got the dudes coming over.
Speaker 3: You know, big, this big production right.
Speaker 4: Right, So we get we get to the show, date. Everything is amazing. Before the show, sound check incredible, Oh tone, you sound good. People coming up, Oh my god, bro, who are you? Drake sends me a gift and that's not the name drop, but Drake sends me a gift. He sends me some some Ovo Ovo tens.
Speaker 3: Signed it, wrote a note. I'm like, damn, this is fucking dope.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I'm like this, my life is changing. My life is changing. Get on stage, and.
Speaker 4: A certain somebody there's there's two people in the story that I'm not gonna name. For A certain somebody from an R and B group that's very well known, advised me, and you know who you are.
Speaker 3: I love you, though.
Speaker 4: Advised me to drink olive oil before before my set. He said, just drink drink some olive oil. It's going it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Clear you up.
Speaker 4: And you know me, it's just the first time without the group. I'm nervous, you know what I'm saying. I'm like, fuck it, I want to be at my top of my game.
Speaker 3: Drank the olive oil. So it comes down to perform.
Speaker 4: I'm like, all right, my throat feel hot, Paul, my throat feel hot. I'm just like, all right, cool, whatever. So I'm out there, you're performing. I tell you, I was not hitting my notes, bro.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: It was like I was trying and it was slipping. Like I wasn't catching no good notes. Man Like, it just wasn't happening for me. We out there, all the dances, come out, performing and.
Speaker 3: Trying to just do it a lot.
Speaker 4: I get to this break in my set, probably had like twenty minutes, get to this breaking my set and the crowd. I'm just talking and trying to introduce myself. The crowd starts cheering the person's name that I'm opening up for. It's too syllable, so they're like, Dad, it's like a movie.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I can't fucking believe this shit.
Speaker 1: So I was.
Speaker 4: I was like, as much as I was nervous that that was happening, I got upset and I was like, y'all gonna see so and so after I'm done performing, I know who y'all came to see.
Speaker 1: Did not see this ship.
Speaker 4: Thirty answers, which finished, gave me these he nailed.
Speaker 3: Yo, and they let me finish my set. They let me let me finish my set.
Speaker 4: But yeah, bro, that was a that was a crazy experience gave me the gave this is great.
Speaker 3: Drake gave me these man y'all, y'all let me finish.
Speaker 4: Y'all not understand what happened for me today.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I got upset.
Speaker 4: They didn't you they didn't boom me. But but that's not a boom. Yes, but it's just it's kind of just a bad kind of a book. It's just as bad kind of you start said, it's and it's a two syllable name, like you could really get a chair.
Speaker 1: On like that, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like getting off the stage.
Speaker 1: They were like, yeah, bro, I've been there, brother. Yeah, that's great, that's great. I love it happens to the best of us. Bill's character Bill, oh no, tests your character.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if I got your health character there, it is turned you into a villain in that moment.
Speaker 4: I remember when we were performing for that Sweet sixteen and Niggas O ship. So I said, that can't be worse than that.
Speaker 2: It can't be working at least I know I'm going to make it home right right, right, you're right niggas walking to your get on stage and walk through your.
Speaker 1: Yeah fifty, when the Niggas walked to your it's crazy bro.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh no, brother Tom, listen, man, you know we love you, man, Man, thank you God, I love you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for pulling up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to pull up in here with the new you know, with the new pop already, man that I'm excited for that. I'm excited for you. Man, Man, I'm excited. You know, You're just You're just, You're just adopt It was an amazing talent man and a great human being. It starts there, so you know, in terms of you know, in terms of this business that goes a long way. Yes, it's gonna go a lot further.
Speaker 1: Than your records. Gotch being a good guy. It will sustain you. When you're not the hottest, they will prefer you.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: It's good though.
Speaker 2: I like him piece Yeah yeah, trust me, stay there, I'm there.
Speaker 3: You don't got worried about me doing stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm Valentine.
Speaker 2: This is the Army Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B.
Speaker 1: H youth a cooking. He's right here and it's evidence of it. Next the nights, mister Tumbstick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube, dot com, Forward, slash r, and b Money