Speaker 1: Well, well, well and ho ho ho ti is the season. I think we all ready for some Christmas Day games. Uh, we got Job's return, we got the state of the Knicks and MVP talk with NBA analysts Brian Geltzeiler on today's episode.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack O'Brien, I'm producer Jabari and for Miles.
Speaker 3: And this is mild and Jack at occasionally.
Speaker 4: One Davis Cup.
Speaker 3: Be driving, spinning, Katie.
Speaker 4: Curry a three stuff Curry from Don Tell again be honest with the t.
Speaker 3: Look out shows. What's you got, guys? What's up?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 3: Brian? Hey, guys, how we doing pretty good?
Speaker 1: Many you know, just enjoying this uh holiday season of NBA riches. How's the vibes? How's vibes in New York? As a as a basketball fan?
Speaker 4: It's all good. Listen. You got two decent teams, two teams hanging around in a playoff chase, both teams with the ability to go make deals to get better as we approach the trade deadline. And both teams that if they do make deals to get better, could certainly elevate their chances to advance in the playoffs. So the vibes in New York as far as basketball concern are very good and looking up you know, it's uh, you know, Jalen Brunson has changed the fortunes of the Knicks. There's no doubt about that. And I will say as well as the nuts of play, they actually I never thought i'd utter these words. They need Ben Simonthson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I've heard people utter those words before. As a seventy six Ers fan. I've heard other people say, you know.
Speaker 3: Who, you know who we could use right now? Benson? Like does he if he wanted to play basketball? That would be cool.
Speaker 1: But back to the Knicks, I am, how is Jalen Brunson shooting? Like how he's having one of the best shooting years of anybody?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Isn't he shooting like high forties from three?
Speaker 4: Phenomenal?
Speaker 3: Forty six percent from three? Is there a world like the question?
Speaker 1: You know when when he took Dallas deep and a lot of people were like, wells, Luca took them deep, and this is the way things are from now on, Dallas goes deep. And then Brunson left and they didn't go deep, and the Knicks started making runs in the playoffs. It started being like maybe this guy is an ingredient. He's definitely an ingredient for a championship team. Is there a world where he is on a team that wins the championship and he is the best player on that team.
Speaker 3: Are we at that level yet?
Speaker 4: No? I don't think so. I don't know how you ever will be. Listen the thing about Brunson so and we the Knicks have done very well against bad competition this year and have struggled against good competition now again this particular road trip, a win in Phoenix, a win in LA against the Lakers. That's starting to look up, and that's a nice thing for them, But you worry about them defensively at that and more than that. Listen, Brunson hit through quickness and craft and smarts and an understanding of how to navigate screens. He can get to his spots at will, and it's a fantastic asset to have. But when you're in the play playoffs and then try and advance deep and you're playing against the best defenses the league has to offer, you're gonna need somebody else. Listen. I will hold to this. Brunson was at his best as Lucas wingman. It with Dallas will. I know they regret it now, they will only continue to regret letting them go and not not you know, signing him to the money that he wanted. It just it was a horrible, horrible move by Dallas. But that's where Bruntson is ideal and I think for the next Kenny Smith made a very interesting point last week that I think is important for Nick fans to kind of get their arms around a little bit. And that point is the fact that you know, the Knicks in a playoff series after the first round are never going to have the best player on the floor. With all due respect to Jalen Brunson, the teams that they're gonna play against are always going to have a better player than them. And I think that's where you get into what do they do trade wise, because that flies in the face you know you need another guy. But by the same token, is their usage there with the way Brunson and Randall dominate the basketball to actually bring in that kind of guy. So the Knicks a kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here in terms of what to do. They have the forty eight contract, they have to go out and use it before it expires. They have all the picks, and listen, there's plug young players they have that the league is sweet on. RJ. Barrett's widely respected around the league. I know a lot of Knick fans are down on him, but he's widely respected around the league, and he signed to what's considered a reasonable deal for the player that he is. Quenton Grimes is very well respected around the league, and Emmanuel quickly is too, even though he's on the verge of getting paid and getting paid very well. So they have the young players, they have the picks, and they have that expiring deal in Fortyer to be able to go out and get somebody. But like you know, they've passed on a lot of guys. And I don't blame him for passing on Mitchell. Mitchell wouldn't have fit well here. But Mitchell may be available again, and that's gonna be the tough spot the Knicks are in. Maybe the best player they can go get is Donovan Mitchell, who's a very imperfect fit here. I don't know the elevations and then the way you need to be elevated. He certainly hasn't done that with the Cavs. With a lot of good players around him, So the Knicks are in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of guys that you know, you mentioned guys that Knicks fans are down on, I want to ask you about Julius Randall. Obviously, you know I saw him when he know, during his younger days, you know, out there in LA But you know he's a guy that he pretty consistently. You know, he putting up twenty three points, he's getting about ten rebounds, he's getting this is out five assists. I recognize not all numbers are created equal, but why does it seem like he's such a polarizing figure amongst that amongst that fan base in particular.
Speaker 4: Well, just because you know, there's a couple things involved. First of all, two years ago, he acted like he didn't want to be there. They got rid of his buddies, they got rid of Reggie Bullock, who was one of his close friends. Kenny Pain left who he was very close with, So he wasn't happy there. And Julius Randall's not a guy that's gonna be able to hide on happiness. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. That turned Nick fans off. Randall's a ball dominant player, and I think that bothers Nick fans also, Randall's also inconsistent defensively, and even a year like this year where you're getting full effort from him, some night he's good, depends upon the matchup. Some night he's not, and that remains a trouble spot for the Knicks. With all that said, I will say this, even with the ball dominance, his assist numbers are up, the ball's moving more. Him and brunts and played great together. You know the Knicks and they have some issues here, but I don't know that Randall is one of them. Right now. Here's my only one concern with Randall forgetting about the offensive issues because the Knicks offense have been prety efficient this year, and they've been a really good offensive team, and I know they're in the top five in the league of defensive efficiency, but not against the real good teams. They give one hundred and forty six to the Bucks in that ind season tournament quarterfinal game. I mean that's a big number. The thing is this, and you talk to the executives coaches around the league. Everybody says the same thing. It's been going on for years. You can hide one, you can't hide two and the Knicks have to hide Bruntson because he's an abysmal defensive player. Hiding Randalls some Knights and Brunton becomes a very very difficult thing for the Knicks. And Randall's inconsistent defense is something that sticks in the craw the Knick fans, and it's something that could be a fatal blow to the Knicks in a playoff series against a team like the Celtics. The Bucks are the sixers.
Speaker 3: Let's talk Mitchell Robinson real quick.
Speaker 1: There's a point earlier where we looked at his offensive boards and they were verging on like he could he could be in contention for the record. I think he's coming back down to earth a little bit, but he's still just collecting offensive boards.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he's at five point three a game. The record is six. I believe in the like six point something. As someone who watches the games, what like does he do you get the sense that he's like a robmin type who studies the direction that people's like shots are missing. Do you think he just has like an innate nose for the ball. Offensive boards is like one of one of my Well, first of all, it's like one of the last analytic like things that people could like juice out of the analytics that like people are not efficient when it comes to like everybody should be diving in, at least briefly to try and get offensive boards.
Speaker 3: So it feels like a thing that's going.
Speaker 1: To be increasingly emphasized in the coming years. But like he seems to have a real genius for it. What what do you see there when you watch him play?
Speaker 4: It's I don't think he's not It's he's not studying the science or rebounding like Robin. He's relentless, he's very he's very quick. He's got a really quick first step. He's bouncy for guy his size. And the other thing you got to remember about him is they'll say it came into the league at what seven foot two forty. He's seven foot two eighty right now. And the dude ain't fat, all right. He has muscled up hard, so it's not only and he hasn't lost quickness, So it's not only that he beats you to the ball. If you're in his way, he's going to go through you like he's he's that physical. I mean, think about Cleveland. We talked about the Biggs last year, Mobley and Allen, what did he do to them in that first round playoff series? They couldn't keep him off the glass. And listen, Allen and Mobley are quick bigs, so it wasn't all quickness. It was sheer force at times. And that's who Mitchell Robinson is. And listen to the Knicks that will say they are so set at the center position because the way those two guys component each other, Robinson or Hertenstein is fantastic and Tom knight in and night out can pick his poison against who he matches up with, if who wants to finish with. So it really works out very very well for the Knicks that this and the Knicks guy in the words that Jay Z the Knicks got ninety nine problems, center ain't one of them. So I mean they're in good shape in that spot and I like that. I think that that's and that's the spot that they shouldn't look to trade off of. Really what they need is size on the wing. And their biggest problem, quite frankly, is that the guy that's going to be available to them is og Anobi. He's going to be out there and available. The thing is the Knicks front office and the Raptors front office are embroiled in a very big, bitter legal dispute right now. That would not get those two sides all that reticent to work with one another to make a deal, because this legal dispute is over front office intellectual capital and it's a big, big problem. And you know, Raptors suing the Knicks, Knicks counter seuing. There's a lot of bad blood there. And the thing is, if you look at the Knicks, you know the one guy that you could put in there that can elevate you on both ends of the floor as if really one of the premieer three D guys in the league is og Ananobi. And the thing is there's zero I just don't think there's any chance the Raptors are going to make a deal with the Knicks. I pretty much think rap their ownership, looks that situation and says anybody butting it?
Speaker 3: Wow, So so he's off the table.
Speaker 4: Who would you target if you're the Knicks? Listen, I don't know that there's a perfect player to target, but Danovich is available. I would take a look at him. Listen. I don't think Demark de Rosen solves any of your defensive problems. But I do think he helps you immensely on the offensive end of the floor in terms of efficiency and more than that, mid range shots late in games. And I know you have brunts and cover there, but imagine being able to run the two of those guys off each other. You gotta listen. The thing for them is they have to look at who's available. And I think for the Knicks, the best thing is consider they're playing okay here. I think they could be playing better, but they're playing okay here. I think for the Knicks, you're gonna have to take this to the end, to the deadline to see if somebody decides that they're gonna punt, and maybe that you know, right now, we know the Bulls and the Raptors are the big teams that are gonna punt. We know that the Pistons are a mess, and you can get somebody off of their team, but really who And we know Utah, so I mean who, But who are you gonna take off of Utah? I mean Collins remarking and aren't really fits there? You know, Arkson is more of the same. You know they don't have that kind of wing that you can go ahead and bring in. So like the teams that have guys available right now don't fit the Knicks great. And that's the thing for the next They're gonna have to wake this thing out. As long as they can wake this thing out to use that forty eight contract for somebody, and listen, Bogdanovic may end up being the answer. There is no anatob He's the perfect fit. You're not getting them, so I think you have to look at other options. Bogdanovich is certainly not a bad option for them, or at the right price. Maybe you do look at Donovan Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then ideal who do you put next to Brunson? Is it like an embiid or just like an athletic wing Who is the ideal person next to Brunson? Not necessarily this season, but like eventually.
Speaker 4: Well, b would be great, but you're not getting them. He's right now with what's happening there and the way Terse Maxi has grown into his role, there is absolutely if I tell you, zero chance you're getting embid anytime soon. That situation is etchton Stone there. That's a fantastic situation. So I don't think that you have a chance to get him. I mean, listen, you're gonna have to see who decides to punt. Maybe the Clippers decide to punt at one point or another of them. With what they have going on, it doesn't look likely that they're going.
Speaker 1: To so I mean, your really, it's changed since I think the last time we talked to listeners is that the Clippers are now they put it together and are beating people so badly that they're like one of the Like they went from being I don't think they were even like a net positive on the season to now being like one of the league leaders and point differential like they're absolutely crushing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, David, Listen, they have been terrific lately, and I'm one of the things that's turned for them, which is interesting is look, we first made the hard and trade. People forget that the Harden's first game in the Garden, Mason Plumbley got hurt, and Mason Plumbley was very important to them defensively. Now they brought Pang them types a week later and he's played pretty well for them. But the other thing that's happened for them is Zubac has upgraded his game on the glass, and played much better defensively, and they need that badly. Listen. They have to hide hard in a little bit. And the thing about Harden is he's not good guarding quick guys on the perimeter, but he can cold his own in the post because of his strength. Yeah, so that's a really important factor. So they you know, with having Leonard and George, if you want to be aggressive defensively, and Man's another really good defensive player, you put him on the floor. If you want to do that, you need to have somebody that cleans up behind him, and that has never been Zubach in his career. He's gotten much better at it. But I'll tell you they're an interesting team at the deadline as well. They don't have much to trade, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them pluck Andre Drummond from the Bulls, who I think would actually fit in really well there. And let's face it, Plumble within the next three to four weeks should be back as well. But you know, they're kind of one big a way from really being a huge factor in the playoffs assuming and it's a big assumption, Listen, We're only in December, boys, Okay, it's a big assumption, but assuming that they hit the playoffs fully.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and so is John Morant. Not a ton to say about his return that hasn't already been said. Capped off at twenty four point comeback with a game winner.
Speaker 3: Was just.
Speaker 1: You know, one of my favorite basketball moments so far of the season is having him back getting you know, just getting to see him not really having lost a step, just being able to truly like look like he's in the matrix and moving at a different speed, like at a different frame rate than the people who are trying to guard him.
Speaker 3: It was a blast.
Speaker 1: Thirty four points, eight a sis, six rebounds, two steals, and and then he claimed he kept receipts during his ex ended absence.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: Maybe just focus on I don't know, but we wanted to have a conversation about MVP candidates at this point. Again, as you mentioned, Brian, it's early. We don't know what the net rest of the season is going to look like, but I think there's some interesting conversations to be had early on as the Joker was like leading the league in points, assists, and rebounds.
Speaker 3: It felt like it was gonna be pretty.
Speaker 1: Pretty clear cut. But you know, they've been a little bit less consistent. Embiid has taken over as the scoring leader by a pretty wide margin at this point, and they're just.
Speaker 3: They're playing incredibly well.
Speaker 1: The Sixers they are much better at this point, Like their record is way better at this point in the season than it was last year. And basically all they did was drop hard. You know, like it's it's not a he's basically doing more with less, and it's pretty pretty impressive. It's obviously not all him. Maxi has greatly improved and just like benefited from the addage room to run and create. And Nick Nurse is a great upgrade a coach. So that's Jokic emb That was a conversation we were having last year. I feel like we have to talk about Shay because Okay, see, I think is starting to enter the conversation, like people were having the conversation about, like, man, they could actually do something this year. They look pretty good. They've got a lot of pieces to move. They could add a player, at which point I think they become like one of the favorites. They are currently second in the West Minnesota, then Oklahoma City, then Denver, than Sacramento, which can't be how the NBA drew it up those those three teams being the top markets. But I don't know, what do you guys think, Dude? Do you think Shay is a legit? He He also had a game game winner against the defending champ Nuggets earlier this week. He just looks incredibly unstoppable and is just making making everything kind of come together around him and like improving that team by leaps and bounds. What do we think of him as an MVP candidates?
Speaker 4: And I think he's on the list. I just think it's coming down to what we came down to last year. It's those you know, And I think that guys like Shay and Luca and Jason Tatum are competing for fourth And I know a lot. It's cute to want to put three saliburn in there, but I don't know that he enters that conversation at any point in time. She listened. Oklahoma City's played much better this year. They look terrific. Home has been great for them. Shay has been tremendous okay, Joel Embi dominates the league in a way that no one else does. The only guy that comes close is Jokic, and to me right now, it's Mbats a word to lose again. I think he's playing that well. And I love how Jokic has played, But Denver's dropped off a little lately, and Yokic put some weight on and certainly was much better defensively last year than he's been this year. And Giannis is playing angry. And I know the Bucks have struggled, and Giannis hasn't been as good as he's been in the past defensively, but we can say the box of struggled, But what are they one game back of the Celtics right now East, I mean, I have struggled, so you know, so they they've They've played really well. So I think it comes down to the same thing. I think we can talk about other fringe candidates and give them credit for having great seasons, like Shay, like Luca. I think we certainly can do that. It's bottom line, this is something that is embiid, jokichianis and I think Giannis is the third out of them. I think it comes down to them beating Jokic and right now Joel Embiid is being done. Listen, one thing I'd say you said about the Sixers that I would I don't know that he's doing more with less. I think he's doing more with better pieces. Max Maxie didn't fit great with Harden and that it just wasn't a good fit. Getting rid of Harden has helped Maxi be better. It's helped the Anthony Melton be better. It has been a really key guy for them this year. And then listen, I know they were without Kelly Oubray for a period of time. He's been terrific for them. He is telling them a ton And listen, the Clippers are ready to lead Covington and Marris for dead. Covington and Mars, especially Mars, that both played well for them and given them some lived minutes off the bench for productive minutes. So I just think the Sixers are a better team than they were last year with Harden because the pieces fit better, and Embed is playing great. He's been terrific. He really has been, so I you know, I give him all the credit in the world. He's playing great. But by the same token, you know, I think we kind of have to look at all this and realize that it's great to amass talent on a basketball team. It really is. But the bottom line is the pieces still have to fit, and in this particular case, the Sixers pieces fitting around and be this year much better than last year.
Speaker 3: Jabari, you gotta you gotta pick.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, I mean for me, as we discussed ahead of the you know, ahead of the show, I think embiid as a leader in the clubhouse, but I think I might lean more towards Shay as being in that mix and not just you know, not necessarily being on the you know, on the outside looking in with Luca and and and and perhaps that's you know, perhaps that's on me. Perhaps that's because I wasn't full discloser, Brian. I wasn't as I didn't see it as quite as Jack did a head of the season. Jack ahead of this season actually put money on Okay s Now not just the we're not talking pre season, we're talking July, when we were in Vegas in July, on ok C to win this year's title. So maybe maybe it's because I never I didn't see that as any chance whatsoever, And suddenly, you know, I'm looking at him as continued development, you know, being able to welcome like a talent like Chit right into the fold, and you know, you know, everybody finds their own groove. I guess that's why I'm giving I'm probably giving extra credit as a result of that.
Speaker 1: Out of surprise, whereas I knew exactly that this was going to happen, and so I'm less impressed. Uh, And I agree that it's embeid. Here there's a great moment on the game winning shot that Shaye head over Denver where he releases the ball and it's the game's in Denver, and it gets loud in a very specific way that you only hear when a home crowd knows they're about to have their hearts ripped out. And it's like this like exhale inhale, loud, like screaming backwards. Thing like that they should add it to like what one of the noises they put in the t Rex scream in Jurassic Park. It's like a truly haunted sound, and I feel like it is the sound of greatness. Like everybody in that arena, every one of those fans of the champion, the defending champs, knew that was going in.
Speaker 3: They just like you.
Speaker 1: If we could insert it here, it's like, ah, it's like uh roar backwards or something, and it's I haven't heard it in a long time, but it feels like, I don't know, it signified something to me about Shay.
Speaker 2: I'll annoy some people. It's the sound that you used to get when Kobe was playing on me. Yeah, and I'm not I'm not comparing the two players. I'm not doing that, but I know that exact sound where the even though opposing crowd knows hush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's uh, let's take one more break and we'll come back. And we're back and uh, Brian, I know we're about to lose you. We do want to give you a couple of rapid fire questions before you're gone.
Speaker 3: Who is the.
Speaker 1: Most underappreciated of the all time greats? Uh? You're and by the way, this is the fastest segment of podcasting. You're not supposed to think about your answers. Just boom, let it go. No, no Dailly Daly and no no beating around the bush. Greatest most underappreciated of the all time greats?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Someone who deserves to be mentioned, but is often left.
Speaker 4: Out Oscar Robertson he was doing the triple double before the triple double was a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, keep going.
Speaker 4: You can go back.
Speaker 2: You can go back in time and permit either Prime Ewing or Prime Mellow to take this run with this particular Knick squad in today's game.
Speaker 4: Which one are you choosing? Prime? Youwing every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays?
Speaker 1: All right, you correctroactively space sham yourself into having my good friend Robert Ory's career or Charles Barkley's career.
Speaker 3: Which one are you choosing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like rings, I would take Robert Ariy's career as much as I love Chuck, who was dominant and had a blast. But you know what, Robert Ry always found himself there when teams were winning, and he made some big shots of the help this.
Speaker 3: Team do it, just as Jewelry just in general, Like, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: All right, lead one more and you can have any players skill set for one day. Who's in what skill set would it be?
Speaker 4: That's an outstanding question. That's one that I've never actually thought about, but I guess I have to give you a quick answer. I would tell you any an active player or player in history. Let me ask him that way, any player ever, any player ever, if I could have their skill set, I would probably tell you Michael Michael Jordan's the pad answer, like it's the easy answer, you know. But I will tell you that very I never enjoyed and admired a player more than watching Magic Johnson at his prime, what he was able to do at his side and this asketability and just spoorting the fast break. And to me, that was a specialist special could get and that was the guy I wanted to be.
Speaker 1: I love it all right, Well, Brian, such a pleasure having you. Where can people find you? Listen to you all that good stuff?
Speaker 4: You can get me on Twitter, slash x at Beagalt's NBA. You can hear me on NBA Weekend on Serious XMNBA Radio seven to ten am East Drink Time every Saturday morning, and I host This week in NBA Radio every Sunday morning. That's eight am to ten am on Sirius XM NBA Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Brian Geltzeiler, thank you so much for joining us, and yeah, happy holidays to you and yours.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, you two guys, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Take care all right, take care.
Speaker 1: So usually we end with rapid fire, but where we do have to mention a couple people who are kind of on a tear right now. I don't know if we've talked about him yet. I think it is is it pronounced Joel or Joel? I think it's like for the Hoel, like the first Hoel embiid from the seventy six ers. We're just gonna go through his last seven games, uh, forty fourteen and six assists, forty two, fifteen boards and three assists, thirty five thirteen boards, two assists, forty one, eleven boards, five assists, you know, thirty four ten, six, thirty eight, fourteen, three fifty thirteen seven. During that time, the Sixers have been six and one, and he is mainly doing that while sitting out the fourth quarter because they're just destroying teams and Philly is now the top point differential team by a pretty good margin eleven point three. They're outscoring opponents by eleven point three points. Boston's in second with eight point six. That was just Boston was always the king of that. Like Boston was always number one point differential, So it just feels nice to be number one point differential and I don't know, man, he's he's on one once again. I don't people keep waiting for him to like fall off. They're like, yeah, well this is you know, he's at his peak. So they're really better, like make some moves now because he's gonna his body parts are gonna start falling off of his body next year.
Speaker 3: But it hasn't happened yet. Knock on wood, Dame.
Speaker 1: We should talk about Dame's put up in his last three games. My favorite player to watch while locked in, while he's at this in this type of zone. Last three games forty points, three boards, four assists, thirty nine points, five boards, eleven assists, thirty three points, four boards, five assists, and Milwaukee is eight and two over the last ten and second in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 3: They seem to have.
Speaker 1: Figured out like how to kind of start working things together between he and uh Giannis, they seem excited to be playing together.
Speaker 3: It's it's fun. Things are fun in Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: Things they are fun in the NBA for the reasons we expected them to be, Like all the good teams are starting to come together and be like, yeah, at least out East, at least out East.
Speaker 2: I would say out West, some of us are a little bit of we're still trying to figure it out, but.
Speaker 3: Still getting your footing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then uh, Ben Carro, Baby, we're gonna do a month over month comparison. He's he's like, uh, the Joe Burrow of the NBA. He's a slow starter who gets it going as he goes. October twelve points a game, five boards, forty four percent true shooting percentage. November twenty point nine, six point six boards, fifty eight true shooting. December twenty six point one points, eight point one boards, fifty five percent true shooting.
Speaker 3: Uh. For a guy who just turned twenty one years old.
Speaker 4: So pretty good.
Speaker 3: He might be good or we'll see. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Tik and Mary had a career night where he made twelve of thirteen threes, which is good.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty good. Scored in the forties.
Speaker 1: It was the most threes by a player that young since trying to see what this guy's Kobe.
Speaker 3: Bryant, Oh, yeah, you know, I've heard of him. And speaking of Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 2: Eighteen years ago today, Kobe outscored the entire Mavericks team through three quarters.
Speaker 4: Jack did you.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see that game or do you can see the clips of that game?
Speaker 3: I don't think I did. Now I watched I.
Speaker 4: Watched it live, and I can tell you it.
Speaker 2: It's it's cliche to say it now because, like you know, people you just want to be different. But it was even more impressive than the eighty one one point game that he had just a few weeks later, and specifically because he did it through three quarters at the end of the At the end of the third quarter, the Lakers broadcast put Kobe sixty two Mavericks sixty one. Phil asked him, do you want.
Speaker 4: To go get it?
Speaker 3: He said, nah, I'll do it again pretty good.
Speaker 4: Phil gave him the choice.
Speaker 2: Said do you want to go Do you want to go out there and do it in the fourth and you know, go for a hundred.
Speaker 4: Even he said no, I'll do it again. In three weeks later, here we were that.
Speaker 3: He put up to eighty one, which is the second most still to this day.
Speaker 2: Yes, still still to this day eighty one. But then again, there's no footage of that hundred. So I'm just gonna say eighty one is the most.
Speaker 1: The most points we've ever seen scored in an NBA game we've ever seen. It's uh, it does go against what pew like people are like, Oh, Kobe was you know all about Hi getting his getting his stats and so I don't know, Wil was just out there doing that just for sheer like it.
Speaker 3: There wasn't anything fun about what Wilt was doing.
Speaker 1: He's just walking down below the basket, holding his hands up, getting the ball thrown at the net, catching it, tipping it in.
Speaker 3: No, I actually don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've seen a full game's worth of Will Chamberlain highlights. So all the old heads can get mad at me for that, but that is pretty like watching him play. He looks like he's having so much fun. Kobe enjoyed playing basketball.
Speaker 2: And destroying teams in particular, so in specific teams like the Mavericks at that time.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no, that was a heck of a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: All right, Well those are those are the stories that has been another year in the books for Miles and Jack got Matt Boosti's thank you superproducer Jabbari for putting it together, thank you super producer Brian Jefferies for editing all of it together, and thank you guys for listening. You can follow us on Twitter. I'm at Jack Underscore, Obrian Jabari, Where can they find you?
Speaker 4: I'm at Jabori Davis NBA.
Speaker 2: Make sure you follow mild At at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and uh and then you can look for us hashtagging Matt boostis Is that what we hashtag it?
Speaker 3: And that's gonna that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the Christmas Games, enjoy your holidays, and we'll be back in the new year. We will talk to y'all then.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 4: Peter.