Speaker 1: Dear Latino USA listener. Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode ad free, just join fut Plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese may so click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play. Let's go to the show. Hey Latino USA listener, comestas, we have a special treat for you today. A few weeks ago, Futuro Media collaborated with WNYC here in New York City to hold a live event to celebrate Futuro Media's new podcast. It's called Our Thing, The Birth of Salsa in Nova York. It's all about the legends behind salsa music and the label that defined it, Fina Records, often called the motown of Salsa. On today's episode, you'll get to hear a portion of a conversation with the host of NYC Now, Janey Pierre. She sat down with Venezuela and born Ella Brick, a two time Latin Grammy winner whose music takes her classical training and uproots it with Afro Venezuelan rhythms, jazz and contemporary Beats. She also was the composer for Our Thing. Janey speaks to Ella about the recent earthquakes in Venezuela, how her career changed after winning a Grammy, and where she sees salsa history in New York Today. And dear listener, you are in for a treat because the episode is not only a conversation. Ella Brick performs four songs live in a duet with Cuban pianist Camille Cordina. So grab a snack, your favorite, maybe that, and settle in. Here's Jenne Pierre of NYC Now with Ella Brick.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Hello, good evening. Come on, you can do better than that. That's right, you brave the heat to be here. Give it up for yourselves.
Speaker 3: You look so good.
Speaker 2: Good evening, everyone, It is so nice to have all of you here at the green space here at WNYC. My name is Jeanne Pierre. I host NYC Now. That's WNYC's local news podcast, And if you haven't heard about it, I'm gonna take a moment to tell you. Basically, it's a show for everyday New Yorkers. We make sense of the city for the people who live here and for the people who want to stay here now. I don't know about y'all, but I'm feeling like a little groove. I'm feeling like, you know, we don't have enough space to dance, but you can move your shoulders, right, ma'am, you got it all right?
Speaker 4: Just back here.
Speaker 2: Just want to do a shoulder check over here. Everybody's feeling good, Okay, cool? Because I am really in the mood for some music. And I don't know about you, but I could sure use some live music. I wonder if anyone has a piano or a trumpet. Wow, when did you get there? All right, y'all, I want to welcome to the stage now Venezuelan born musician Ella Brick two and Ella Good. All right, So before we get started, I just want to know what's the first song you have for us?
Speaker 3: We have lamonica?
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's do it.
Speaker 3: I want to decay this song to the people of Venezuela.
Speaker 5: Yes hm.
Speaker 4: Ha se navi.
Speaker 6: Soma pari go komorna love roma condesseba to pessaro sin coolpania boomas been the therefore to rege d regard the musimplement sal gongol free vagabona prend delvia o Yama, Lina get the bars sabola notes a gel mongada hilasi pretas set a basel colo and to Nova aran n why are you and doesn't know the canto dampna.
Speaker 4: Health yea.
Speaker 6: Conta meli in Daganta contwn mel In da Canta, countdown mel.
Speaker 3: In Nakanta.
Speaker 6: Emporers, So come down, Melinda Canta, countdown, mill in Dakanda, condown Melinda Gandakikandara.
Speaker 3: Superbody.
Speaker 6: Tell me Linda Canta can't tell me. Linda Canta can't tell me. Linda Ganda she can't.
Speaker 3: So can't tu me.
Speaker 6: Linda Canta can't down me. Linda Conda can't damn Melinda Ganda. Candary to super what.
Speaker 2: Beautiful? That was beautiful?
Speaker 7: Ella?
Speaker 2: Thank you you were born and raised in Venezuela. Before we get deeper into this conversation, you know our hearts are with your family, your loved ones, and all of Venezuelans impacted by the earthquakes on last week. I'm wondering, like, how did that news unfold for you?
Speaker 3: I heard voice notes from my mom saying that she survived.
Speaker 8: Thanks because she was She did a special prayer and that gave her enough time to buy time to take her dogs my brother to run to.
Speaker 3: She's a an eighth floor and she have enough.
Speaker 8: I'm surprisingly to go down and wait for whatever is gonna unfold after that. And then the second earthquake impact her while she was on the street already, and many of my family members saw buildings falling next to them, many kids trapped in the moment, many people very confused, not understanding what's going on. They didn't know if this was, you know, related to something else. And at the beginning, everybody was like, Okay, one building fall here, But then as the time started passing, we start receiving devastating news about the whole country being affected by this. It's pretty much, according to our reporting and the CNN, a mix of nine to eleven, and the image is similar to well being seeing happening and in other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry to hear that. How's your mom now?
Speaker 3: She's just good. Most of my family lost a lot, but they're good, better than the rest.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: We tried to meet up over the weekend to hang and you were running around getting donations. So if folks here want to help you, you know, get donations out what should they do?
Speaker 8: They should follow on Instagram and Instagram. I'm posting about two campaigns that I'm supporting. I'm supporting in the local restaurants. At the moment, they are sending medicine and local aid to sending trucks full of medicine being sent to Venezuela, which it should arrive on this Wednesday. So basically we're raising funds to cover the cost of sending those strocks to Miami and making sure that the medicine and the food's gonna arrive on time.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine being a daughter so far away from home during natural catastrophe like this. How does music help you cope in times like this?
Speaker 8: I feel like music always helps, But during this moment, I recognize that I have to remind myself that I'm a human being first, and I have to allow myself to feel the anger, the grief and allow myself to try to be present for them, trying to do the activism using the platform that I have available at the same time of knowing when to stop and do meditation, prayers and try to send as much as prayers to those who are still affected and.
Speaker 3: You know, suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, tell us about, you know, your musical background. I saw you pick up that trumpet so quickly, like it it just came to your hand. Like you guys have spent a lot of time some years together. Can you tell me about your background.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I come from a musicians or family. I come from a family of musicians.
Speaker 8: My uncle was one of the saxophone players for Mario Balsa t Puente.
Speaker 3: His name is Rolando Risa, and yeah, but perhaps to him.
Speaker 8: And he left a lot of impact on my dad's although that they didn't grow up together. He came to New York City very very early, and my dad, you know, he took a different route, staying in Venezuela, and that's where I came. And yeah, my dad never stopped talking to me about jazz and about.
Speaker 3: The importance of you know, knowing your roots.
Speaker 8: And he did a lot of like mixing, and then that's pretty much how I got involved in music. Also, Venezuela has an amazing program name and systema where we were exposed at a very young.
Speaker 3: Age, exposed to classical music. And that was my training, right.
Speaker 8: He started with classical music, then I switched to jazz, and then I started improvising, and I started mixing with all the genres pop music, and I start producing music.
Speaker 2: Also, let's talk a bit more about classical music, because mixing that into the fold it's a lot. How does that influence your overall sound?
Speaker 8: Well, I feel like thanks to classical music, I allow myself to have a good technique and the instrument trumpet is a very physical instrument that requires a lot of discipline, a lot of techniques, and I use a lot of like the formations of classical trumpet players, just as Marise Andres and a lot of big names who have paved the way for for us to be able to build a solid career as trumpet players. Right, and then I took a different route, But I feel like the switch between classical music, it adds something else to the voice that I wanted to develop as a musician.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 2: All right, so we have a whole set list to get through. What's the next song you have for us?
Speaker 3: I think we are going to start with.
Speaker 8: The funny thing is that this music is the music that we created specifically thanks to you Montalbo, who.
Speaker 3: Gave me this gig.
Speaker 8: Yeah for the podcast, Yeah, and for the podcast, And it was a big responsibility to write music for for a podcast that is talking about the funnial all the starts, but we we we try to honor them and get closer the most I can with the tools that we were given.
Speaker 3: So I think we're gonna do U Should we do Rombo? Okay?
Speaker 6: We we were.
Speaker 3: I was very lacy in naming the tracks.
Speaker 2: So they still have the trucks seven and I was like, is it called team seven?
Speaker 3: So we don't have a percussion is today?
Speaker 8: But we have the beautiful and amazing genius right from Coula Camilla Cortina.
Speaker 9: She's us today.
Speaker 2: Day, take your time.
Speaker 4: Girl, over and over.
Speaker 6: And him.
Speaker 1: A coming up on Latino U s A. A. Brick talks about leaving Venezuela's.
Speaker 8: Like, You're going to New York City to get your ass kicked, and I'm like, damn, okay, I need that. And then I came to New York City and exactly how she said, and it makes me a better human being.
Speaker 3: See with Us Yes.
Speaker 5: Hm, whole podcast, see the Uta Elbasi long, the Guta Ela to.
Speaker 3: Vitoria and Tony podcast format, the podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey We're back. We're going to continue with an excerpt from an episode of NYC Now with host Janey Pier. We recently collaborated on a live event at w NYC here in New York City, and now she continues her conversation with two time Latin Grammy winning musician Ela Brick. Here's Jena Pierre.
Speaker 2: Linda Barcinio. You've used that name throughout your career, and now you're going by Ela Brick. Why the change?
Speaker 3: The changes?
Speaker 8: Because I'm very in a good sense. I'm a prideful and independent woman.
Speaker 6: Come on now.
Speaker 8: And there comes a time where a lot of people were associating me only as the daughter of or the niece of, and I wanted to create a name by myself doing things that neither my uncle or my dad did.
Speaker 3: And then I was able to.
Speaker 8: Discover the music of Ella Viziceral and I'm like, what a beautiful story and how hard it is, everything that she went through and the figure that you represents, I feel like this figure represents me. I would like to call my name Ella and cut my last name in half and create my own last name, at least artistically, and show the world that yes, I will always honor my ancestors. But at the same time, they're gonna hear something new coming from these veins.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I love that, you know, breaking away to make a name for yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was it like leaving Venezuela and how old were you when you did it?
Speaker 3: I left Venezuela when I was in my twenties, similar to Camilla. We were talking about the way that we left our countries, and it was very similar.
Speaker 2: What impacted that decision.
Speaker 8: Social issues in our countries. Coula and Venezuela share a similar political history. Sorry, and I wanted to do other things. I wanted to eat the world, and what best way to eat it? By going to the place that has an apple eat it?
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 3: So I arrived here.
Speaker 8: I got a full scholarship, the same as Camilla. It was very hard at the beginning, but you know, I was blessed and I always had got by myself, by my side, and a lot of people who helped me get through this, and every single musician who gave me jobs for the first time, the shady gigs, the good gigs, and here I am.
Speaker 2: You know, what's the difference between the music scene here in New York City and the music scene back and Caracas?
Speaker 3: The scene is not much different.
Speaker 8: I mean the scale New York City is three point zero like this mega right, But the musician's culture is very similar. People here is very ambitious, very disciplined, and you come here to be going to become a better musician. I remember when I was in Venezuela and not going busing a great clarentist.
Speaker 3: She's like, you going to.
Speaker 8: New York City to get your ass kick, and I'm like, damn, okay, I need that. And then I came to New York City and exactly how she said, and it makes me a better human being. But at the same time, I came also prepared because Karakas is also a very competitive city where a lot of great musicians are coming from great training.
Speaker 3: Same as Cool as well.
Speaker 8: And I feel like also Venezuela has a big culture of salsa music. We have cardeleone, We have a lot of important figures, you know, like in Manziel Latina, a lot of people who also pave the way.
Speaker 3: So I come also from from that background.
Speaker 2: I talked a bit about the way you sort of mix all these genres together, but when I've failed to mention was pop classical meats pop. How do you do that, Like, what's the thought process?
Speaker 8: I feel like, yes, I am a big consumer of pop music. Because America music the Cable arrived in Venezuela. We were always connected to America music and especially black music. Right We were visited by Michael Jackson and a lot of big figures of black history.
Speaker 3: Jazz musicians also came here.
Speaker 8: I think Ella came to New York to Caracas as well, so we always were surrounded by great influence for Americas. But I feel like the way that I interpret pop was very different from the pop that was happening in the two thousands. Pop meaning for me, r within and fire when I was twelve. When I was twelve, my people they were consuming Brittany and all of those stuff which I also learned, and syn Koreraphism and all of that. But I feel like that was my closest expression of understanding that necessarily what people is consuming is a reflection of what our communities are at the moment, and trying to work with that and do something with it that also transcends, and also allow myself to honor ancestor and the music that came before me.
Speaker 2: You know, talking about music that transcends as we mentioned you composed a lot of the music for our thing, the Birth of Sousa and Nueve York.
Speaker 7: Like, how do you how do you do that?
Speaker 2: Like, it's so much music, so many different themes right that you have to touch on. You have something upbeat, something somber. What's your approach?
Speaker 8: I feel like I had a lot of help from the team of Futuro, especially Jian Montalbo, because they gave me very specific references, and I try to be as much as respectful with those references, not to appropriate, not to copy anything, but at the same time using the same rhythms, like this, we want this song to have the feeling of bongaloo.
Speaker 3: We want this to be a roomba. We want this to be an op tempo.
Speaker 8: We want this to sound a little bit more like Actor Lao or also represent Aleto made by Lalupe in this case, which was the composer. So I tried to mix all of those ideas and try to honor that and give also my my contribution, and that's how that's how it came. I also need to mention that this music, you know, whoever left the Funny Time, they live the best golden years of music because not many people is recording this music as used to be.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 8: Most of the rangers who are wrote arrange and orchestra for these big orchestras. They are no longer with us, and there is no enough people investing money so this music can keep working and keep existing as it used to. So I relied on a team of Venezuela musicians who were back home, who we're interested in making this with a little budget that we have available. I mean, it was amazing to have people back home recording this. So what you heard is a team of full Venezuelan's trying to make it work, and it came amazingly.
Speaker 2: You know, it sounds like you had a really cool homework project of shit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was a big challenge, but it was a lot of fun, right, It was a lot of fun and a lot of learning experience and home mumbee. And it humbled me because I still am learning rhythms, different types of montunos and my musicians. I always surround myself with great musicians and they are patient enough to understand that I had the mind of a producer. I'm not necessarily the most virtuoso musician, but I can make things happen, and that's how it came.
Speaker 2: All right. I think we're ready for Team seven.
Speaker 3: Team six, actually six hopefully after today. You guys can help me give a decent name to these pieces.
Speaker 2: One of them Jane's favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: And also consider that it's a big challenge to create all this music that was recorded with a big percussions instruments from bone. So we did a big challenge today by reducing.
Speaker 7: This to do it.
Speaker 3: So I hope, yeah, I know, I mean not. I feel like we're uplifting it.
Speaker 9: Th the thing?
Speaker 6: How many.
Speaker 4: Got me?
Speaker 3: Not gonna do now?
Speaker 2: Anybody?
Speaker 6: I was great.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my shoulder shakers over here.
Speaker 3: I see you, ladies.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're back. Let's wrap up the conversation between La Brick and Jane Pierre.
Speaker 2: You know, La, you wear a lot of different heads. You're a producer, songwriter, trumpeter. Which of these roles feel more at home to you?
Speaker 3: And why ah singer song writer.
Speaker 8: I feel like I was telling a Camilla that I have to wear so many hats that I would like to think that in the future I can become someone like Patano Eloso but doing Venezuela music, you're.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so big, big, big difference.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: I still need to have ninety years old to become that, so I have a lot of things to experiment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's top of mind right now?
Speaker 3: It's not stopping me right now.
Speaker 8: I feel like I have the full blessings of surrounding myself with great musicians and producers who are allowing me to become that. One of my co producers, which is a great producer from Honduras, Truco, is with us today. He's a genius and he's helping me find my sound, mixing Afro Venezuelan music with current sounds, and I feel like we are in the in the in the search of finding that enlightenment.
Speaker 2: Artistically, Yeah, we talked a bit about how your work bridges Afro Venezuelan traditions with jazz, electronic music and Latin jazz. I wonder though, like what's your inspiration?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 8: Music wise, I feel like, I, oh, that's a good When they asked me what's your favorite song, it's very complex, like where do you pick from? I feel like I feel passionate about musicians who live in mark with social justice, such as Nina Simon is like a big influence mixed with yeah big perhaps Nina Simon at the same time with I don't know. I love b orc music as well as much as I love the songs of you know, like, I feel like there are a lot of places to pick from, but I feel like if you have the chance to, you don't have never the chance to perform for the same hundred people. So we are impacted lives from one hundred to hundred. So we have the platform that a politician will die to have. So I like to think that we are using that the best way that we can to impact and make a change in the world.
Speaker 2: When it comes to mixing all of these genres together, what challenges have you faced.
Speaker 8: I feel like the challenge I mean as a producer, we represent the one or two percent in the recording studios as much as engineers. Female engineers, we face a lot of misogyny in the studios. Also in the music industry is very challenging for us as well as women. Right, that's the first one, which it's sad to recognize twenty twenty six and there's still those things happens, right, Having so many movements in pro women right, But unfortunately those things still happens, and it is our duty to keep, you know, giving visibility to do that and try to create a change. I feel like the challenge also as an immigrant woman is always finding the right space to create this music at the same time of surviving a city that is kicking out immigrants constantly and is becoming more expensive and unaffordable. So in the a of in the age of AI as well, it's very challenging to understand where the music is gonna go if these machines are taking and stealing music from.
Speaker 3: Creators like us.
Speaker 8: So it's a conversation that needs to happen, and I feel like that's what concerns me the most, and it's gonna be the challenge for us to understand how to receive the technology and use it for the good at the same time of not losing and protecting creators to keep doing this music and creating more spaces for us.
Speaker 2: Now, I wanted to share a secret with you all. It's really not a secret, but it's it's old news. Homegirl, Ella here is a Latin Grammy Award winner.
Speaker 7: Can we give it up for that?
Speaker 2: It's a big deal, Okay, a big deal. First woman to win Producer.
Speaker 5: Of the Year.
Speaker 2: Flex all right, So I have to ask, because I have never had a conversation with a Grammy winner, what's it like? I mean, take us all back to the moment.
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 8: It was amazing because especially the Latin side of things, especially with the Latin grammars is, it's always it has a tendency of I mean, the AWAR is supposedly to give the award to someone who leave a really big mark on the music in Latin America, right, and what we've been consuming as audience has been you know, new rhythms, reggaeton and all of those things. So I came nominated in that category where I was competing with someone who produced something for Lava Posini, someone who did something for Residente. Many huge producers who were the spacific producers were nominated there and I was nominated with two independent projects and Rememblades used to it happened to be in one of those projects by luck, and they decide to give the award to these two honest and very independent projects.
Speaker 11: And I feel like it was.
Speaker 8: It became not about me. He became a conversation worldwide about women in the studios and the importance of creating spaces and amplifying those voices. And it really changed me. And I'm grateful and humble that it was given to me. And I'm hopefully rooting for my teammates to keep you know, being nominated. But at the same time, more than we need their work in the future is that they can create a less hostile environment in the recording studios and can make a living of what they are doing, you know, yeah, for sure, you know.
Speaker 2: Naturally, I want to ask, like, how has receiving the award changed your career or helped your career, But I'll also want to know how has it helped your peers.
Speaker 8: It helped my peers, and it didn't make a big change. I thought I thought it would change my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the in the in the checks.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, But it didn't. And and it's okay because I feel like.
Speaker 8: My heart is in not compromising the creative process just to follow the the algorithm or the or how music is being released more in the business side of things. Maybe that's why you don't see my music being in playlists or big million listeners monthly. Because I have decided that I want to allow myself, as an immigrant woman who has different challenges every day in New York City, to create music when I want to create it, and trying to like be sure that my music is going to have the integrity that I wanted to have and hopefully that can connect with the people, whether they discovered me today on this amazing event or whether they discover me.
Speaker 3: On a random playlist of someone in Japan.
Speaker 2: You know, all right, we have another another jam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is our last jam, which is Google.
Speaker 2: Oh this is the last one.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know how much time we have, how much I don't know.
Speaker 2: No one ever weighed me down.
Speaker 3: I think we can do this forever.
Speaker 2: I have tires.
Speaker 3: I have time for one more because we don't want the people to fall asleep.
Speaker 2: That's right, This is right.
Speaker 3: This is I've been here listening, and you know, I like to make to keep it short. But yeah, you guys want one more?
Speaker 6: You more?
Speaker 3: This is my favorite one, by the way, mm hmm hmmm.
Speaker 9: The gamestadt the b Staver, other things.
Speaker 4: Back the things at.
Speaker 3: About La Cordela.
Speaker 7: Nina sing with us, Oh now you hear me?
Speaker 11: Now is our time to sing how about that. Can we all sing collectively?
Speaker 3: Just let'sting.
Speaker 7: That again.
Speaker 10: That's it, and now you're going higher, next one.
Speaker 3: And then on this side, well it's a little less. People do a bead, bad.
Speaker 7: Bad, oh my god.
Speaker 11: Okay to the dead, and then they finished the song.
Speaker 7: Alabs, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That was an episode of NYC Now hosted by jan A Pire. We recently collaborated with on a live event at the Green Space here in New York City. You can hear more of Ella Bricks Music wherever you listen to your music, and you can listen to our thing, the Birth of Salsa and ba Yo wherever you get your podcasts. Special thanks to be Gay at the International Salsa Museum and the Melon Foundation. Thanks to WNYC for their collaboration. You'll hear more soon from that night here on this feed. Look out for my live interview with New yorekan legend Rosie Perez. I'm your host, Maria Josa Latino, USA. Is part of Iheart's microda podcast network. Join us again on our next episode. In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media. Dear listener, don't forget to join Fuduo Plus so you can listen to everything ad free. Thanks so much, Joe.
Speaker 2: Latino. USA is made possible in part by the John D.
Speaker 3: And Catherine T.
Speaker 2: MacArthur Foundation, W K. Kellogg Foundation, a partner with Communities Where Children Come First, and New York Women's Foundation. The New York Women's Foundation funding women leaders that build solutions in their communities, and celebrating thirty years of radical generosity,