Speaker 1: Can you tell the coffee's kicking in? The coffee's kicking in?
Speaker 2: Wait, did they do you write a Duncan donuts?
Speaker 3: Finally, finally, the Double D took care of my Double D's honey, am.
Speaker 1: Come on, My eyes are up here, My eyes are up here. What's up? Everybody? Welcome to the Adulting Podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna show you toe with my homeboy Jordan Carlos, and we have an amazing episode for you. When do we fucking don't bitch? You gotta love this episode so much. It's inspirational. It's black girl magic, it's black boy joy. I mean, you want no gift for seats with this episode because you do not want to take it back.
Speaker 1: You want to take it black and share it with your friends. Motherfucker.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Usually like Jordan and I will, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Listen to the episode before it hits y'all, and I was like, let's just not do that and see what happens. It'll be dangerous, dangerous.
Speaker 2: It's very dangerous.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's weird, Like hearing yourself talk and laugh at something feels like you're looking in a mirror watching yourself take a shit.
Speaker 1: It feels good. You don't need to see it or hear it. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Everyone, of course you did, did you ever, like when you were little? Try to watch yourself take a shit, like have it come out of your your buttthole?
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, you're trying to get a consensus on this. No, hey, everybody, we all be ere. We want to hate it? How to do to come out?
Speaker 5: Were you do this?
Speaker 2: With a series of mirrors? Like how did you do this?
Speaker 3: I think at one point like no, I had a selfie stick in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: Oh, caffeine, I don't know, but I love you for it.
Speaker 3: I would be sitting on the toilet and then I would like look down to see it come out. So I'm like, this is fascinating. Stuff is coming out of our bodies and we just have to say goodbye to it.
Speaker 6: All, Like soft serve? Do you still do you take a look back in the rear view always?
Speaker 1: I made it. Really, I want to see what kind of day I've had.
Speaker 6: If it sounds like a boot stuck in mud, then I will like look back.
Speaker 5: But if it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't, the fuck does a boot bud sound?
Speaker 1: My friend said it that for us? Motherfuck it your rockets.
Speaker 3: See inside, dooty dooty.
Speaker 1: Bitch, What the fuck this is silly.
Speaker 6: Let's say you step in mud with a boot and it's like, you know, like that kind of sound when you're trying to pull your boot out of the mud.
Speaker 3: Okay, nuts, It's like, oh, and you kept going. You asked me, that's true. You asked that's true. I thought we were done with it. So is that a good sound or a bad sound?
Speaker 6: It's not a great sound. If it sounds like an engine gone bad or like a rugagagaga gug, then I have to have to investigate. Oh okay, then I'm like, where are my glasses?
Speaker 5: Oh boy?
Speaker 1: Oh no?
Speaker 3: Have you ever had to do that thing at doctor's appointments where you had to like swab your fecal matter.
Speaker 6: I've not had to swab my fecal matter. Again, this consensus is wild.
Speaker 5: Whoa I have not?
Speaker 2: We've been from.
Speaker 6: I will say that I was gonna. I will say I was gonna go in for my first colonoscopy, but I'm such a dork that I went in a year early and the guy was like, you're too early for your klonoscopy, And I was like like cancer is gonna wait and be like, I'm sorry, you're forty four. Yeah, come back when you're forty five. I just wanted to get it over with. That's a long process. So then I think I'll have my chance to swab my butt. I'm ready, I'm ready. Yeah, Yeah, I checked all the holes.
Speaker 1: I did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you checked all the holes, checked all the boxes.
Speaker 1: I see what you did there. I had to.
Speaker 3: Swab my fecal matter when I was eighteen because I was severely anemic, and so I had to check a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: They had to like check my bone density.
Speaker 3: It was wild, and I feel like, yeah, I feel like if we don't talk about in eighteen, I had no one to talk about it with.
Speaker 1: I'm in my mid forties.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to talk about it, but people don't want to talk about what's going on with their bodies.
Speaker 1: And I feel like this is why.
Speaker 3: We don't go to the doctor, or we're embarrassed to even like have a conversation with the doctor. And I think we have so many choices of doctors. Now, you go to zoc Doc. Not that they promote the show, but I really enjoy them as sort of like a yelp for doctors because then you can sort of see what people have said about them, their bedside manner, and like their availability because back in the day, you just had the one doctor in the town.
Speaker 1: Everybody went to that doctor. Oh yes, it didn't matter if they were good or bad. It was just the one doctor.
Speaker 3: So it's nice, I think for me, I definitely only want to I don't know if this is legal to say, but fuck it, I only want to see women of color that are doctors period.
Speaker 6: I definitely co sign that, especially because my mother had a situation last year where she was I'm going to just share this. She had an anomaly in her breast and it was like, what is that an anomaly meaning just like a cancerous growth? Okay, basically it was within her milk duct and that had to be removed, but it was like at level zero, which we were very lucky about a hand un spread throughout her body, and then they wanted to do some chemotherapy after just to make sure that it didn't return, and the drug that they wanted to give her it was found to sometimes affect the uterus, and so my dad she was just lucky that my dad was there.
Speaker 2: My dad was advocating for her the whole time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they give her some answer that was not like he'd hear it relayed, and he was like, I think I need to come in with you, and so he was basically like her lawyer. Yeah, because she's this older black woman and her first doctor was just missing some of her symptoms and things like that, and my dad just came in there and was like, Hi, I used to run this hospital. Then they're like and tucked in their shirt, and she got the.
Speaker 2: Best care possible.
Speaker 1: How many people have that?
Speaker 2: Just one out of one basically, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am so glad your dad was there for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm really sorry that that happened, but I'm really glad that he was there for her because that is rare. And they are American, and I think about my Haitian aunt and my Jamaican uncles who always want to make a joke about something and don't want to talk about anything serious. Definitely don't understand anything, Definitely don't want to sound stupid, definitely don't even want to follow up. And the ones that do want to follow up, they are dismissed and they try to upsell you on stuff and it's like, dude, we're not buying a car here, take advantage of me somewhere else.
Speaker 1: This is my body, do you know what I mean? Like, this is my body.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: And So, while I don't want to pooh pooh on obviously doctors and nurses, I think America is a really big country, and we don't have just one way of thinking.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: The one way of thinking really is just like get it paid.
Speaker 3: And I wish we just you know, we're more thoughtful and nuanced when it came to the talk that you have to have between doctor and patient.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: And that's one thing I've always like admired about my dad is just that he takes the time to really sit down with his patients and explain things or like hash things out with health problems that his kids have, or like walking us through so much, walking us through the whole gestation process pregnancy. You know, I'm on the phone with him in the hospital as my kids are being born. Yeah, you know, just to have that and to dispel any uncertainty. Right, He's like just that guy. He's just right there in your ear and making it a much more painless process.
Speaker 5: And he does it.
Speaker 6: I think like, I'm very fortunate that my dad does it because he believes in something bigger than himself.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: He just believes in health, and he believes in good health and making sure that everyone at least that is affected by him or in his radius, gets the best of his knowledge and he doesn't hoard it.
Speaker 3: He's a hero. That's his gift to the world. He understand.
Speaker 6: I hear you though, when it comes to wanting female folks of color to look at you in your body, because yes, you need someone that's advocating for you and understands what you're going through because all too often black women not only die in pregnancy, but also wait till the goddamn end if they're suffering from breast cancer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think the funny version of it is when Earthquake or a hilarious comedian that has a special on a Netflix or Pat Brown also a hilarious comedian that's been a Colbert, they had a great bit about the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's very different though, both the way they do it.
Speaker 3: About like that uncle at the family reunion that's got a missing tooth or can't chew on that side. Yeah, it's just like, Okay, bitch, So you're only gonna be chewing on that side your whole life, like never taking a bite always, just like you're just like a squirrel at the fucking Thanksgiving table.
Speaker 1: And you know that's the funny version of it.
Speaker 3: And I think Gerrod Carmichael also did like a really great episode in The Carmichael Show where he tried to introduce Kale to his black family and they're like, we're the hamhogs.
Speaker 1: Like what do my muscles eat this? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So I feel like taking care of our health is you know, monumental. It's just like how do we do it? Like right now we are afforded conversation. We can have conversations and we have options. You remember like you only knew one vegetarian in your twenties.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Now it's like it's everybody. You know what I'm saying. It's like it's it's too much. They ruin every barbecue.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially the ones who are just like, but it touched the other w that's just like, come on, your hot dogs and your vegan dogs can't have a sore fight.
Speaker 1: Get the fuck out of house.
Speaker 3: Were you thinking about pork when you made this mushroom dish. I know you know why speaking of cooking, I love our guess that's coming up because yeah, he's a comedian. He's hilarious, but he's also like a renaissance man. It's like, what can't he do? He sings, he cooks.
Speaker 2: He draws, he draws.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know what I like to he's in shape and he also eats what he cooks.
Speaker 1: That's important.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's like he's the only person I know that like eats gobs of Italian but looks like he's cut from wood, Like, how does he do that?
Speaker 3: I don't know the secret. I don't know what I want to see secret. I always enjoy hanging out with my friend MATEO Lane. I know you guys will too. Please everybody do what whatever you're still doing.
Speaker 5: To whatever you're still doing.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 1: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 7: Welcome, said Dalton, show you tell this is joining Carlo Lo y'all a big ass roundable plus for.
Speaker 1: DJ dot Now what that was good?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I was.
Speaker 3: I was giving you like black girls little but in the back I was like, what in the brook wine is going on?
Speaker 1: This is a fun shirt. This shirt is vintage.
Speaker 3: By the way, and if we don't turn the ar up, I'm a start smelling like nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean it's cute, it's giving art teacher.
Speaker 5: I love summer.
Speaker 1: That definitely cares past four o'clock.
Speaker 3: But if we don't turn the air up, it's gonna give art teacher that never.
Speaker 2: Ye just will hump a treat. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, like you the self.
Speaker 6: You're that art teacher that has all like you know in the box of flesh tone paper.
Speaker 2: You remember that, remember that like I was.
Speaker 6: I was a token black kid in class and there was like there was like reach into the flesh stone box of paper and you're.
Speaker 1: Like some brown pips.
Speaker 5: Like go look in the scraps sober in the corner.
Speaker 1: Is that a trigger for you?
Speaker 5: Of course it is? When are you talking about arts and crafts?
Speaker 6: Like like like I start like blinking, like looking on my you know, like I want to take hostages?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Doesn't I tell you I had I had a crop top sweatshirt on from very cute uh Dusty Rose.
Speaker 1: I was leaving the house. My husband's just like the.
Speaker 3: Camel to pape, I said, I said, really never Yeah, and you know it's it's a meaty tuck.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tight end because who show it is. It's not a toe, it's the whole ass. Hope, you know what I mean it is. It's it's a whole damn renaissance down there.
Speaker 3: I will tell you she's just.
Speaker 1: Not top heavy. It is.
Speaker 5: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Good luck with your skinny ass pussy listen.
Speaker 3: Being able to wear any croppy want. We got to move on with the show. So excited, so excited.
Speaker 1: What can I say? You know what I love?
Speaker 3: I love comedians that are not only talented but good people, and then also that are friends. And so I've known him for a really long time. We've done a lot of different shows together in different states. And he also did the artwork for my special Welcome to Utopia. He's a really talented artist. Yeah, a lot of people don't know.
Speaker 5: That's hilarious.
Speaker 7: Please give it up for our friend Mattella.
Speaker 5: Mateo.
Speaker 2: You were wondering what to wear tonight, remember.
Speaker 8: Well, because I never know how to dress, and I was like, can I wear a crop top?
Speaker 5: And then you were like so nice about its.
Speaker 3: Like, oh you asked Jordan what to wear. I don't know, yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I know I look good, But do I look good or bad?
Speaker 5: What do you guys think?
Speaker 3: Okay, Bob, it's not about you, right, I'm so excited to see you, so many questions.
Speaker 1: You love to cook.
Speaker 8: I do love to cook. It's in my blood cooking on my mom's side. She's Italian Mexican, so like, thank you.
Speaker 1: You show your love through food.
Speaker 5: I do show my love through food.
Speaker 8: I think my mom and my aunt said, well, you know what, they're growing up as it's supposed to be funny.
Speaker 5: I'm going to start no. Sorry.
Speaker 8: So I have thirty four first cousins, and we all pretty much.
Speaker 1: I just got a cramp.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 8: I don't know how my mom and my aunts did it, but we all grew up in the same block pretty much.
Speaker 5: And my brother is not all in a row.
Speaker 8: So I'm thirty six, she's thirty seven, he's thirty eight. They're actually Irish twins because they're eleven months apart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we.
Speaker 8: Would every night, we would cook, and my mom would cook. We should make it like fun for us, so we should line us up like little ducklings, and she would help us cook and so it just became so a part of like I'm very comfortable to catching and I enjoy cooking because that's like how we communicate.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 8: There's also something beautiful about cooking too, because like just culturally speaking, like I know, if I'm making red sauce, like the way that my hand moved is the way that my mom's hand moved.
Speaker 5: Am I nanna? And my bee's non Like do you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: It's truly like a real way to keep yourself connected through culture.
Speaker 5: Yeah it is. It's a really beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice when we keep we can keep that. And that's what I get when I go to New Orleans. I'm like, oh, okay, this isn't from a book. This is definitely from another continent, right, and you're giving it to me on a plate, And I'm very lucky.
Speaker 1: I haven't had any good food in Chicago. I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 8: In Chicago because you probably stayed downtown and they're like, get some mouths beef, you know, like you gotta go to other places to get good food.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you do.
Speaker 8: Although I will say for a deep dish, pizza. I will say, the only good deep dish is actually in Chicago, not that Uno Grill chain, and I.
Speaker 1: Like, they're not a sponsor.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 8: There's like one Uno Grill employees like how dare you? But I think for a pizza, there's New York pizza, Chicago pizza, and Italian pizza, and I probably prefer Italian pizza, but I do is anyone from Italy not Long Island?
Speaker 5: There's no Italians here? Okay? Cool?
Speaker 6: Well you know, could you ever be with someone that didn't like Italian chao?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or could you be with someone that doesn't like food?
Speaker 5: That would be a well, that would be interesting, not at all, like they just like.
Speaker 1: They don't care. There are adults that just shovel shit in the My.
Speaker 8: Friend Nick, Yeah, Nick, my friend Nick literally is just a garbage monster.
Speaker 5: I only eat Chipotle.
Speaker 8: I don't like grocery shopping and I don't care like that's Nick.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they don't want to think about it. They're like Simon Cowell and Phoenix. They're like, what a deep cut? What a deep The only people that got that were the Viking people.
Speaker 5: What did they say about be? Yeah said deep cut? I really had to get that from.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know my my last boyfriend was Venezuelan, but sure, and.
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 8: No, I got no cooking from I was. I know, I was in there in the kitchen cooking.
Speaker 5: I was the no. No.
Speaker 8: I was like, you're not going to make me any rapa and he's like, I don't know how to make a rapa And I.
Speaker 5: Was like, well figure it out because I need.
Speaker 8: This fantasy to work. So I would love that. If he's in the kitchen like they get they get his check get, I'm like, all right, by no, you make me basta.
Speaker 1: You know, welcome to the family. Magical family. I love it so much. Did you guys sell the dance and ship?
Speaker 8: No, we didn't salt it. We didn't do anything like, no, we're still friends.
Speaker 1: You know we're ch Are you friends with Done?
Speaker 3: Will was just like, oh yeah, I'm friends with How the fuck are you friends with x'es?
Speaker 8: I know we've been through a lot. It was pretty dramatic. You know, it's like Latinos and Italians. There's just a lot of drama. There's just a lot of fighting and passion and fighting and passion and.
Speaker 5: You know my passion.
Speaker 8: Do you mean sex, yes, well sex and also just like it's too intense, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: But then I dated this guy who is just like as white as.
Speaker 8: The g and snow, and I also a Viking.
Speaker 5: No that would be interesting, Yeah, it was. It was. It was pretty boring. So what's the sorry? Is there you need a medium?
Speaker 2: Is there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Like a goldilock setting in between? Like is there somebody in between? Do you feel as though you'd like somebody that's kind of like there's.
Speaker 8: No such like a culturally connected connected, no such thing as.
Speaker 3: The perfect person, but there is definitely like an I carry.
Speaker 1: I'll talk to Nick Cannon about that. I'm chuck.
Speaker 5: A choke, do you know? Nick Cannon?
Speaker 1: What the fuck a his kids here?
Speaker 5: I'm a fucking this is that one that one look under your seats? Nicks kids, y'all are wilent.
Speaker 8: He's got like ten of them now right, Well, the truth I haven't dated that much.
Speaker 5: You like my mom?
Speaker 8: My mom's family is like they're very I'm very I was raised by her fam. My dad's one hundred percent Irish, but not like oh to tea guitar, Like he's like just like you know, American and anybody.
Speaker 3: Else that'd be like so inappropriate, but with you, it's so lovely.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, well what I mean, you know it's fun, but uh, I was just abducted into my mom's family.
Speaker 5: They're just so overwhelming.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're always more of what your mom is though, because they're more hands on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and they were just there was a million of us everywhere, you know, or like when my mom was cooking, I went to my aunt Cindy's house and just walk next door and I was like, what are you guys having I'll eat with you like that kind of So.
Speaker 6: You're the kind of person that that like would date some like you date the person, but they got to have like a kick ass family as well.
Speaker 8: No, I don't, well, you know what my past I've only had like two boyfriends, but both has been issues with like them being gay in their families, and so I think I've I've never experienced being openly embraced by my significant other's family. So I actually don't know what that I'm I'm thirty. Shit, I guess as long as I don't really know, I don't, I don't know. I'm so dating is so hard though, especially in New York gettings are really.
Speaker 3: Hard, and that just breaks my heart because as a mom, it's just like, oh my god, they're just so perfect no matter fucking what, they're so fucking yummy, and the fact that people can't experience unbridled joy and acceptance makes you want to burn it all down, but also just adopt them all and just like breastfeed everybody over thirty five that cannot in an emotionally like nourishing way, do you know what I mean? Because that is so fucking sad, And now we can't go back to the past, and I feel like all our rights are gonna be ripped away and we're still gonna be fucking sitting in this, you know, in this ignorant purgatory.
Speaker 1: Of what is right and what is wrong.
Speaker 3: And you fucking know, like even people that I know well on set who are famous people say shit like, there's so many gay people. Now, what do you even fucking mean. They've always been here, you bitch. They've always been here, and we are beautiful and perfect no matter what for the dumb con So like, I'm just like I can't stop like screaming it in a dark room, I know, which.
Speaker 5: I said that, and it was when I walked in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I meant presently, I just meant I can't no, I know, I know exactly what you know.
Speaker 1: So I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: See you, I've met you through stand up comedy, but you much like me. I like, I'm usually the only female on the show or the only woman of color because they get a two for one, right, and then you're like the only gig on a show.
Speaker 5: Yes, usually and not at not at the comedy seller. I will say it's different now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the comedy seller will be like j McBride opening, Jessica Curson, me, Aaron Jackson. Like it's like, yeah, I've been on a show where it's like it's almost I'm like, oh this this is a little too gay. It's a little too gay. The audience is like, this is how they get us. So the seller does a great job if they just care about funny, which I wish most bookers were that way. But it's funny when you do comedy and you're coming up like there were you know, obviously there's a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, there's really so few queer comics and so like me and Joel Kim Booster would always be on.
Speaker 5: We'd never see each other.
Speaker 8: We always on different lineups because they're like, well, I'm the gay on this show tonight, you're the gay and that show.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I mean that's why I'm not really doing clubs anymore because inclusivity is fucking everything or I'm not a part of it, right, And if that means I do less shows, then I do better shows. And I feel like, you know, whether it's like you being at a certain office or you know a friend group, it's just like at a certain point, we have to stop planing and getting our feelings hurt and oh sorry.
Speaker 1: Gonna be a bumper stigarette, whole food to be the chiche we want to.
Speaker 3: See because honestly, it's just like if not us, then fucking who you know?
Speaker 1: Right, So I love that the comedy seller is doing that.
Speaker 3: I I'm wondering, like, were you able to navigate that shit because you are from such a big.
Speaker 1: Family, Because I feel like, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like my husband is the youngest child, right, and I feel like the younger kids always know how to really navigate difficult personalities.
Speaker 5: Well, part of.
Speaker 8: It was too, is like, you know, for me, my coming up in the stand up comedy was like I just was so excited that I was you know, like coming out of the closet was kind of difficult and my baby step and I never felt like I belonged on this sort of like stereotypical gay scene. Like I don't really like to party a lot, and I don't really like to do I don't like to drink and something not that that's all gays.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying, like, if you're gonna when you back in my day, when.
Speaker 8: When you came out of the closet, you know what I mean, there wasn't YouTube or Facebook or Instagram. There weren't options for me. You had to go with a fake ID to a gay bar and then that's where you were gay. So like you're just like inundated with every kind of queer person and it's overwhelming because you don't even know what you're looking at. Like I didn't see a drag queen until I was, you know, nineteen, and I was like, what's happening? You know, like and now it's very different, Like six year olds are like my favorite makeup, you know, Like it's just it's another world. So this is just from my right, my perspective. So in doing comedy, like a lot of those fears, locker room fears of like I'm gonna be made fun of, I slowly realized that no one gave a shit if I was gay.
Speaker 5: They cared if I was funny.
Speaker 8: And I found a really good group of friends in open mics who were like mind. They had the same drive, they like to work on jokes. We were all obsessed with this craft. And so to me, I'm like, I don't care what's going on. I just like I the Tiger.
Speaker 5: I'll do every open mic, I'll do every bar show. I don't care. I just want to be on stage.
Speaker 8: And look a lot of times I was on stage the only gay in front of a room a bunch of straight people, and it was constantly proving myself. And so now I'm at a point where like people are finally purchasing tickets to see me, and it's I finally get to enjoy being on stage in a way that I haven't before. Like I watched my old material, I'm like, god, it was so combative. I'm like, oh, yeah, you were like afraid, Yes, you know where now I'm not. But I have to say I had a very good time coming up and stand up outside of the industry, just with the comedians that were around me, very.
Speaker 5: Inspiring communities everything.
Speaker 8: And you know, if I go to like a club, let's say I haven't been to a club in forever, but like if you go, like I'm always worried about, like do I look okay?
Speaker 5: Am I with? You know, like are people gonna look at me? Like who are? Who's?
Speaker 8: There's a lot of you're who you are and your mentality, your intellect is never quite It's not the first thing they're looking at. I know, if I walk into the cellar, they're gonna care about my thoughts, my jokes, or I can sit. I would rather sit with Keith Robinson for hours, you know what I mean, ripping each other apart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then doing k somewhere in a you know, club, and that's funny.
Speaker 1: I would rather.
Speaker 5: There's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 8: But I'm not saying there's anything wrong with I'm just saying, like my journey wasn't that I found my expression through this way. I get people wanted to go out and go to clubs because you know what, like life's hard, and there's certain ways to express yourself and that's the way they express themselves by. To be fair, it's like, you know, I sacrifice dating and dancing and all that.
Speaker 5: Like it's not my let me let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: Speaking of expression, you you also are.
Speaker 2: A visual artist.
Speaker 5: I'm gay a cook.
Speaker 6: Uh and but you you have a facility with all these different art forms, is it?
Speaker 5: Is it ever?
Speaker 6: Just like like are they all kind of vying for your attention at once? You know?
Speaker 5: Like cook?
Speaker 2: Draw, make comedy? Like how do you thank God?
Speaker 1: And you love opera? Who loves opera? Under sixty five?
Speaker 5: Me? Here's Maria Callous? Is my take?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 5: You guys love opera?
Speaker 8: I went to the I okay, this is kind of a cool story, all right. So one of the benefits of social media is when you put your jokes out and people follow you. So the lead soprano in Luccii lama More at the Metropolitan Opera follows me and she messaged me and she goes, do you want to come see Lucia? And I was like, I was like, yes I do, And so I got second row seats Aisle. I mean these are like nine hundred dollars tickets, and I brought my friend Nick, who's like Jesus Christ. So this fucking Nick character, Nick is six four, weighs one hundred and twenty pounds, only wears women's blouses and sounds exactly like squid word from SpongeBob. A typical, a typical conversation with Nick, like Nick, what are you doing? I'm watching a murder mystery and if you call me again, you'll be the next mystery.
Speaker 5: That's so.
Speaker 8: And he's always fighting with people, like he got into a fight. Like everyone at the opera, I swear to you was either like a twenty five year old.
Speaker 5: Gay or Methuselah. Like everyone was in.
Speaker 8: They're early hundreds, just like fairly making it to the seat, and I was like, I'm in, you know so, and and the play was amazing, by the way, the opera was great. Nick sat down and the woman next one was wearing a blouse I don't probably cost like a thousand dollars, and so he was also wearing a blouse, and he goes, I love your blouse, and she went goes.
Speaker 5: Thank you, and then didn't say anything to him, and he looked at me and he goes, what a dumb old bitch like compliment my blouse? As wow, I complimented her blouse.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're best friends with Stephen.
Speaker 5: Hawkins go on, it was down at Lucia.
Speaker 6: So but uh, back back to your question. But you love opera? Can I ask you a question? Do you ever like you love Aria's you love opera? You can sing in like six octaves? Is that correct or something?
Speaker 5: Depending on the day's wording. How much sleep?
Speaker 3: I guess, Oh my goodness, no, wonder you gotta hang out?
Speaker 5: Or I'm married? Yeah, I'm I'm met her once you did? Yeah. So I was on this show called Girl Code years ago.
Speaker 8: Yeah girl, and I never shut up about Mariah Carey. I was always talking about it, to the point where the producer stuck. He was like, he's from the South. He's like, Metteya, you gotta stop talking about Mariah.
Speaker 5: She's relevant. So always.
Speaker 8: Anyways, like a couple of years after that, I get a call from Stucky. He's like, Metella, what are you doing tomorrow at four pm?
Speaker 5: I'm like why.
Speaker 8: He goes, I got a surprise for you. I said, I know it's Mariah.
Speaker 5: He goes, Goddamn the guys, he knows this.
Speaker 6: Is by the way, this is exactly how stucky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Jordan wyn't you tell me what do you think of bras? Like? That was the show?
Speaker 8: So so that was literally the show.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 8: I love it so but they used to have a show on MTV where fans would meet their favorite celebrities, but they'd just be in an elevator.
Speaker 5: So the elevator door would open and then there's oh my god, and then you go on the elevator ride with them.
Speaker 8: So of course Mariah was two hours late, and uh, you know, so I got so the door and I know Mariah. I know every song. I've seen her eight times, nine times live. I've seen her Christmas show a lot.
Speaker 1: I saw you at.
Speaker 3: The Christmas show one year. I tracked my husband and he's like, I'm in line for the bar. I'm like, get me a double. But yeah, I mean the weekend theater. She does a Christmas show, that's right, and she drinks eggnog on the stage.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's a good look.
Speaker 7: Wow, you know what, just singing coach or musical director.
Speaker 8: But now about this. I saw her sing a duet with R. Kelly at that Christmas show I did, and she came out. She was like Christmas time and like I was like, we were in the fourth row, and I kept making jokes to my friend Evan. I was like, do you think we should have like, you know, like Blue Man group, like plastic on you in case?
Speaker 5: Like it's a p joke anyway, So I think it's very funny.
Speaker 2: But I will say that eggnog does coat the throat.
Speaker 5: Now go ahead please? Oh yeah.
Speaker 9: Anyway, So I'm there and the door opens, sorry, throw coat, go on, that door opens.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to drive by of crazy all in a wedgy go on.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 8: So the door opens and there she is. And the thing is, I got on the elevator and first of all, she looks incredible, right, but she was also there was a whole lighting thing for her, and I was on her good side. So when I would ask her a question, she couldn't look at me, so she would just sort of bend down and answer. She was what I was expected to like, beautiful and nervous. But it was so funny because we we were probably in there for fifteen minutes and then they played Mariah music and we all started singing always be my baby, and she's saying with us, so we would go do do do oh, and she goes, oh, it's being a baby. And then at one point she did a whistle tone. I was like, this is heaven.
Speaker 5: And then they.
Speaker 8: Now they told us do not touch Mariah care like, do not touch her.
Speaker 5: Don't touch her?
Speaker 1: So why would you touch her?
Speaker 5: I will say this, It is weird.
Speaker 8: When you're in an elevator, your natural disposition is to sort of not look at the people who are next to you, right everyone he minds her own business, so you're just in there looking at her like and because I'm a comedian, I'm used to adrenaline, so I was able to control myself. So I was She had been on tour in China. I knew everything about her, so it was it was like, of course, it was like everyone's crying and there was like that like obligatory white girl like.
Speaker 3: I love you, and so I was like, oh, how was your.
Speaker 5: Tour in China?
Speaker 8: And she was like fine, you know, like she couldn't so in the end, like you know, don't touch Mariah. So we're leaving, and of course the white girls like can I have a hug and she goes sure, so she hugged her. And then I go whatever, I'm like, can I have a hug? She goes sure, so she hugged. She hugged me like the help.
Speaker 5: But she like I was I just cleaned her floors. But she was great.
Speaker 8: She was awesome and she looks beautiful. And it was funny because her makeup artist was like hidden in the corner. So like every once in a while, yeah, just a hand would come out and brush, just a stable brush.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like justil back into the corner.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 8: The only other person I would love to meet is Barbara streisand and I know I'll be yo.
Speaker 1: I love that all the vision of love.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, we have some questions at the audience written yes, yes, so we can answer them. Here you go. First, great, what a great Mariah Carey story. That's not what I thought you were gonna say.
Speaker 8: So this question is what would you do if you keep bumping into your ex? I would take my pants off, turn around and bump into them on purpose.
Speaker 1: That's a good ass question. That's a good ass.
Speaker 5: I asked, throw this on the ground, which I do on the ground. What's yours? Because he's a kind of lame.
Speaker 3: Okay, how do you pursue, sorry, a career in the yards? I'm fine when it can feel like the world is burning. Okay, okay, I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Listen, the world is always going to feel like it's burning. So do what you gotta do because you're not here for fucking ever.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 6: Oh, this is a real one. This is a very real one.
Speaker 1: Do you have so many in your hands?
Speaker 2: Because they're kind of wild?
Speaker 5: Fine?
Speaker 2: You want to know the one I avoided?
Speaker 5: It was this. I just turned forty. What should I start doing different? I don't know.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 8: Well, let's hold on a second, I know, tell them who wrote that question?
Speaker 5: Where are you all right? Stand up? What are you doing?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: First of all, you look great. You look amazing.
Speaker 3: By the way, keep doing what you're doing, says, let's get an.
Speaker 1: Air of recommendation.
Speaker 5: My recommendation is nothing, keep going.
Speaker 3: I haven't I thought, I honestly thought a woman wrote this question down because we always are second guessing.
Speaker 1: I want to get it right.
Speaker 3: So my answer was going to be, don't apologize for ship, go in not with the please, but like you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is. And I felt it. You guys, you avoided.
Speaker 5: It like more Mariah Ca Carrie.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just gonna say, maybe yogurt in the morning. You know that's that's good. Yea stomach connection for you. Okay.
Speaker 8: I like the faiya yogurt like they have to say it's pronounced faye because you know, someone is like, can we get the fag yogurt?
Speaker 5: Fag yogurt.
Speaker 2: What if you have a kid and you don't like them as a person?
Speaker 5: Wow, watch mommy, Dearra, that is it's done. Do you love your kids? I love her, She's great.
Speaker 1: Your kids cool? Your kids are cool.
Speaker 5: That did not sound very convincing.
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna say that's real. I'm most of the kids. I mean, I don't like, why are you looking at me? So I think it's really hot.
Speaker 1: You know what it is too.
Speaker 3: Because it probably skipped a generation, so they probably got traits from like a grandparent. Nobody really fucks with. Yeah, So it's you. If you have a child, it is your job to try and steer them in the right direction, expose them to steph.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm taking my kids. For God's love. We deliver, to deliver.
Speaker 3: Meals for Thanksgiving good, like like I'm trying to take them to Afro punk in the morning, not in the afternoon that's crazy, but in the morning, like the.
Speaker 1: New Acts and stuff.
Speaker 3: Like by the way, if you see someone struggling with their kids in public, like, I know it's annoying for you, but I'm trying to raise cool at human beings, you know what I mean, that will be become like productive people.
Speaker 1: So just like give me a fucking minute, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I think, Yeah, you asked me you were kind of nervous about your kids everything. Yeah, you're nervous about your kids. And I asked you when I said, like, I said, how are they with strangers?
Speaker 2: And you said they're great? And I was like, that's it.
Speaker 5: You're good. Are they around? Like little angelic beings?
Speaker 8: Like just like like, wow, you're better behave than me.
Speaker 6: And if you don't, if you aren't enjoying, if you an't enjoying or clicking with your child, I'd say, lean into it and spend more time with your child, like find.
Speaker 1: Out edibles help.
Speaker 5: No, I think doing the things.
Speaker 1: You heard a tired mom in a corn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well actually take an eddie and then do story time. Do the things that you think are like really like they either bother you or or get to the root of why you're ticked off with your child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but definitely spend intimate time with.
Speaker 3: Facing the ship. Like he even quick caffeine. I was like, I don't know, you wait, what did you do? He quit caffeine?
Speaker 5: You can leave.
Speaker 2: It can change everything. I'm just saying this has.
Speaker 8: How of course the gig gets this question, how many partners is too many? Like at the same time, Yeah, I don't, like, I don't know in the same setting or just like like in a week or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. I don't really have an we.
Speaker 2: Have seven days in a week. So let's go from there.
Speaker 8: You know, like I guess, I guess, Like is this like a polyamorous question?
Speaker 3: You know what's so great is that we have so many options. But I will tell you this, I've dated two or three guys at the same time. I realized if I could take two of them and put them as one person, they'd be the perfect person. So I was trying to like I was getting what I needed, but it was exhausting. And when I start repeating my stories, they're like you told me to, I said, I did, so when you hit that point, When you hit that, it's time to go, or if you like, also be safe if you're going to be sitting on so many things. Okay, last question, let's make it mean something, bitch.
Speaker 6: Okay, where do thirty plus year olds go to meet?
Speaker 5: And? Fuck?
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm the old always the oldest person in the room, but prefer to meet people.
Speaker 5: I R l over apps. I live in NYC? Where should I go? I also know you?
Speaker 1: Do you single?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I say that's too much? Are you a virgo?
Speaker 5: They also don't drink? This is all that.
Speaker 1: You got a lot of feelings?
Speaker 8: Need that?
Speaker 5: What's so much? Like? Where is your problem? Right here?
Speaker 8: They asked you to ask one question and you're like in nineteen twelve, Like, girl, this is in real life.
Speaker 5: I live in New York City? Where should I go?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 8: Brendesy's also don't drink? Like I know too much about you?
Speaker 1: Right, that's okay. You could do a lot of stop and not drink.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Daytime hangs, right, so many museums.
Speaker 5: I'll give them real advice. All right, here's what you do.
Speaker 8: Yes, if you're passionate about something, find people who are also like minded and passionate in those things, and then everything else in life will fall into place.
Speaker 1: About Yeah, go to Craigslist.
Speaker 5: Craiglist girl.
Speaker 1: Also, I will say less is more. You don't have to tell everybody what you're everything you're feeling, you know what I mean? You have friends like that, I am. I have friends who are beautiful people. They're shy.
Speaker 3: Once they get like a little bear hug at this bosom. They don't shut the fuck up, and I love them, but I'm tired.
Speaker 1: You gotta wrap it up.
Speaker 6: I feel that, I honestly think that the best place is to go if you don't drink, If you're this person, God bless you have to go to the places like institutions in New York, right, New York Public Library reading room to do what exactly, Jordan, You're gonna meet them in the stacks.
Speaker 5: Your hands are both gonna touch, like James Baldwin's hotel on the Mountain or something like that, and then.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, Jordan, all right, store and do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like a coffee shop. I feel like I feel like the reading room at the public library.
Speaker 1: You know what, you can put in black owned coffee shops and yelp.
Speaker 5: Yeah do that all app use Blap.
Speaker 8: John Laster has a great app called Blap that is all black owned businesses and it's like like uber, I get.
Speaker 3: His Black Owned Business month, bitches, So support the last place I will recommend.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: I don't even know if they still do this, but I think that the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a party on the roof all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it stays open, and that is the ultimate.
Speaker 1: That is the whole foods.
Speaker 3: My Columbus Circle has like a little date night with like a stand up bass and cheese.
Speaker 6: There's also Midsummer Night Swing at Lincoln Center. So right, all these down, you virgin and you get there.
Speaker 4: Always grinder, Mateo, everybody, Mateo Lane Lane.
Speaker 1: You know what I love.
Speaker 3: I love a good ass story that is five minutes or less that you can tell in any room in any country for all of time. And Mateo's story about Mariah Carey in an elevator, I mean any country, any room, like any time in our life, because it is spectacular and I really wish you guys could have been there because when he re enacted a makeup brush.
Speaker 1: Coming out of its like nowhere. I like, I it was like truly like jump roping in my forties.
Speaker 6: I pete a little I heard like a little bell, like you know, like it's like the hand comes out like a cartoon hand.
Speaker 2: It's like it was so funny. It was so funny.
Speaker 6: And I've heard him actually tell that story before among friends and it was just as funny. And it's it's just I love a story that's not it's portable in that like it's all mateo. Yeah, it's as insightful about the subject as it is about you know, the person telling the story.
Speaker 3: Okay, Professor Carlos, break it the fuck down for everyone. Also, I love it's like, look, you better have a health relationship when you meet your hero do.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 10: Like like like you better figure it out because when people are like, don't meet your heroes, it's like, well, manage your expectations tell them because look.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, what's been happening to you?
Speaker 6: Michelle? This is I know what you're doing. This is like no, no, who fucked up the target parking lot? Who messed up.
Speaker 3: As it got to be a target parking lot? You're always talking about thee there I'm always there.
Speaker 1: I'm always there.
Speaker 2: Tell me who messed big lots.
Speaker 3: They have everything I need and I can. I just say, shout out to Target for putting just black designers on the motherfucker map. Black Entrepreneur's Black Andy Black. Yes, I feel like a red carpet the Emmys.
Speaker 1: When I'm in Target, I'm like, I'm rooting for everyone black, and they're every where. They got pictures of them.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, you know they have like gaps in their teeth, the cuckles are backfat.
Speaker 1: I said, this is beautiful as fuck, oh.
Speaker 3: Black and brown, because there are some like other others that I'm just like, this is this is what my kids get to grow up seeing.
Speaker 1: This is not what I see. It's very exciting.
Speaker 3: Anyways, getting back to not meeting your heroes, Yeah, manage your expectations and you'll always have a good time in life.
Speaker 1: Period. Point blank? Are you writing this down?
Speaker 5: Stamping?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 6: I just yell everyone done, Oh my gosh, now you want Now I want a coffee. But as you know, I quit coffee two years ago during COVID one of those things that I quit and do I feel better for it?
Speaker 5: Morally? Superior?
Speaker 3: Yes, I understand I've met a lot of people on set that I have quit coffee just because it's ruined their body. And uh, one thing I don't want to do is have to quit coffee or drinking. So I need to manage that shit because I look.
Speaker 1: Here, I want to have.
Speaker 3: I want to earn them purple lips on a beach in the south of France, honey, topless with my little titties or big titties at the point looking just looking like big old raisins, just big old national geographic titties, you know what I mean. I want to be like a flow tipsy damn day.
Speaker 5: I like how you're like, do you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you not feel I want to be that.
Speaker 3: Topless yes woman on a beach And then young people will be like she's cool. But I'm also like offended, you know what I mean by how comfortable she is.
Speaker 6: When you go to Barcelona and Barcelonetta, you go, you go down to the beach and it's just like it's you jiggling baby.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's funny that you said that Barcelona is the first beach that I ever was topless at me too.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, are you serious?
Speaker 1: Come over there and punch you in a dick.
Speaker 2: Wait, you were topless in Barcelonetta.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I said I'd punched in the deck.
Speaker 5: I was. It's yeah.
Speaker 3: My friend Cynthia loved it so much she wanted to move there and just played the flute on Los rombulis.
Speaker 1: I was like, bitch, we gotta go home. Also, like I.
Speaker 3: Learned how to snack. I was like, we can't eat dinner to nine pm. I'm hungry. I mean, while I love the European culture, I'm just I need dinner at seven, y'all.
Speaker 2: So sorry, Yeah, what about would you take a siesta?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because I would drink so much that you would have I would have to see Usta forever all night long.
Speaker 6: Well guess what, friend, We're at that time in the show where it's the end of the end and end and I'm going to take a ces right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, mall Coup, I see you on you Segway Ball Blart.
Speaker 1: Bye. This was fine.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is Natalie Wrinn.
Speaker 2: Senior Managing Producer is Hannah Kyle Craigie.
Speaker 1: This episode was sound designed.
Speaker 2: And engineered by Ryo bomb.
Speaker 1: Our guest booker is Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: Our theme song in live show DJing is by DJ don Well.
Speaker 1: This bell Hell Show was produced by a Via Levine. Photography by Chris vander Most.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Jamie Bechtel.
Speaker 3: Executive produced by Karen Kilgaraf, Georgia Harstark and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram at Adulting the Pot.
Speaker 3: Email your questions to Adulting Questions at gmail dot com mm HM