Speaker 1: Look, may oh, I see you. Look over there is that loutre yess Lo ding Dong Lossta's calling. Not only did I get the memo, but our guests like auspiciously showed up in denim. Let's just say we're all on the same page today. It's going to be a good It's I'm radically optimistic about it. Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact, down the barrel. We were sent to the album and it is my favorite. That's my favorite one.
Speaker 2: It is Why what do you mean?
Speaker 3: Was I like surprised? Was I was that supposed to be an introduction?
Speaker 1: I don't even think we need to intro. I don't think we need what can we say?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just so happy.
Speaker 1: First of all, you should be very happy about what you would be about what you've done to our lives. Yeah, quickly, quickly, quick intro Grammy brit Award winning Icon. Both of her prior albums are to most streamed albums by female artist ever. She's headlining Glastonbury this summer at the end of June. You're at stage. That makes me so happy. And also I was at Coachella last weekend. And if you don't think I'm bullying you to do Coachella next year as a headliner. Don't worry everyone, I've got your back out there. Where this is a bully episode. This is an episode in doing what we want, gay man, she hasn't given us enough, Like I was getting in the words of emotional on the way here. Yeah, because I thought of that club future nostalgia.
Speaker 4: The first time I met our guests was when she was at SNL and we were like talking over the schedules, like you're going to be grinding on me as like you know, a wartime nurse.
Speaker 1: SNL conversation.
Speaker 4: By the way, club future nostalgia, that entire special kind of the first like concert adjacent experience I had in the pandemic, right, I mean, and I looked urning her eyes and I was like, thank you so much for that, By the way. That was the highlight of that like November. I was like, it made me feel like I was at the club for the first time in months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, oh, oh my god, this is remember that New Year's Yeah, that was like pandemic New Year's. We were like it was us like six of our friends and Dua and Doua yeah, and Kylie. But I mean, you know her best from her performance as Marjorie on s and I know her best from that for top credit.
Speaker 4: By the time this comes out, she will be hosting this week, Yeah, on May fourth. We're so excited to have her there and here. Everyone welcome to a lava.
Speaker 1: Shocked that it's my.
Speaker 3: Favorite, Well, I just love that it's your favorite's my favorite.
Speaker 2: I'm just getting these early reviews to me.
Speaker 3: It's not out yet, not so many people have heard it, so it makes me really happy that you love it.
Speaker 1: Such a party the whole time, like we love it. I mean, also like these walls like that song. I feel like Dolly Parton would be proud of them.
Speaker 4: It's a country song, It's yeah, you think it has the structure and the storytelling of a country song the way Yeah, well.
Speaker 2: My gosh.
Speaker 3: Now when I listen to that song, I look at it really fondly.
Speaker 2: But it was like a hard song to write in the moment.
Speaker 3: I bet it's really that kind of personifying the wolves and understanding how much more they know about you than almost you do yourself. It's like they see everything in a way, and they know the breakup and they know when something's bad for you before you know something's bad for you.
Speaker 4: Wow, that it's imbued with all this like knowledge or something, or.
Speaker 2: Like, imagine what these Wolves have had.
Speaker 1: I know what you've had. So wait, when you're writing a song like These Walls, though, it has to be hard to write because like, are you experiencing that emotion as you're writing it, or are you someone that like writes down what they're feeling and then later you'll return to it to like musicalize it, or are you putting your emotions into the work as you're feeling them.
Speaker 2: I guess for this.
Speaker 3: Album it was very much like a Dear Diary, But These Wolves was a feeling that I'd previously experienced and then I was reliving it and writing it down.
Speaker 4: You have I think my favorite and I'm not just being superlative because zero in front of us, but the song Exploder episode of Love Again So Good is incredible because I'm just like this, this feels like such an intimate look into like the way you were writing for Future Nostalgia, but I feel like I can like extrapolate it to this where I'm like, oh, you're basically working with just three people mostly you really pared back the team on this for radical optimism in a way that I was like, this must be so intentional. This is such a nice focused way of like writing an album like this, especially in like a follow up to like this amazing moment in your career with future nostalgia, Like what was it like zeroing in on like Danny and Kevin and Caroline too, Like who's like the through line?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it was definitely intentional because I was so almost jealous of hearing stories about bands going into the studio and honing in on certain songs, and it would be like they would start a song and then the next day they would work on something else and then go back to it. And I always felt like I pressured myself or never gave myself that luxury of going back to a song. It was like a song a day. I had to just keep writing and just see what happens. And this time around, I kind of never let a good idea die in a way like I would start something and I'd be like, Okay, we have something good here, and then if we wanted to move on to something just to keep the flow going, we would change onto another song and then go back to it. And we did so many rewrites, and we just built the songs in that way, and we just as Kevin likes to call it, we were just more of like a spiritual band, Like we just kind of would come in together and we would all just bring in our ideas and just flow, and there was no formula for the songs. It was very much like a free flowing writing session. And I think that just kind of came with a bit of confidence. Like before with all my other songs, it was like whatever I wrote that day, with maybe some minor tweaks, Like the demo was pretty much like what ended up being what everyone heard. I would just go in and re record the vocal with some minor lyrical changes, Whereas this time around, I felt confident enough that I was like, Oh, I'm a good enough songwriter that I can go in and make this better or change this up or add to the story. M I guess in a way that I didn't think I could before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in terms of like genre, I feel like in listening to this, like we listened to it together the other night, and like the highest compliment I can muster, it's kind of giving like ray of Light era, Like it's like pure popow elevated pop, Like I think that everyone's gonna be like really excited. But I wonder like, as someone who has truly earned like this could have been an album like that really could have sounded like anything. And I wonder in terms of how you were creating if you were surprised at like the genres that were popping out, because like we were saying, there is almost a little bit of country on it, like stuff that's really different for you. And I wonder like, was there out of everything you wrote, like how do we pare down to this?
Speaker 3: I think touring for a whole year a big thing to do with it. Like I think I just I fell in love so much with the live instrumentation of the record of Future Nostalgia while I was performing at live, more so than when I listened to the album version, and then I was like, Okay, how do I bring more of that sonically into radical Optimism?
Speaker 2: And so that's kind of where it began.
Speaker 3: It also was like I was diving into influences of Primal Scream and the album Scream, Idelica and Andy weatherall Mix, and there's just moments in there that just feel like there's just such a freedom to the music and Massive Attack and the Porter's Head and it was more of an energy of this kind of free flowing melody and just letting the song kind of take me wherever. But I started writing for Radical Optimism in twenty twenty one, and I didn't get anything that I wanted to put on the album until June twenty twenty two. Wow. Really, I was writing for a really long time and I just felt like I had to write myself into a good idea and like sonically, but I guess June was my first session that I did with Kevin, Danny Tobias.
Speaker 1: And Caroline Oh Tobias.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And Illusion was the first song we wrote. Basically, Kevin came down to London just to do one week with us, So Illusion was the first song we did. The next day we wrote Happy for You, and the next day we wrote what You're Doing. And we were like, Oh, we kind of have a.
Speaker 2: Good thing going on here.
Speaker 3: Let's keep writing together, Let's put in some more days, Let's do some more stuff. And then we wrote Training Season and Houdini and then Friend ch Exit and we just kept writing like and it just we just kept flowing, and so we just ended up having so much of the album together, it was just such great creative chemistry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like not surprised that Illusion was first, No Me neither, But I am surprised that Houdini came later down the pike because it seems like such a Kevin song, such a you song for worse.
Speaker 4: But I feel like that is such a good lead single because it kind of is the like topstone of the pyramid for the rest of the album in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think it's definitely got that darker psychedelic like, whether it's like the synse or the ambient sounds throughout that just kind of take you into a different world that separates it from future nostalgia in a way.
Speaker 2: I think that was also the reason.
Speaker 3: Why I wanted that song to come first, because it takes you, yeah, somewhere a little bit different.
Speaker 4: I was like shopping for magazines a few years ago and off, and I just like looked at a stand.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I was chic.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just like looking at a stand of magazines. It's like that place in Larchmont that like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know the place, you know, there's the one with all the all the magazine the magazine and Larche one Girl is here.
Speaker 1: And this cover stuck out to me because of these words. Okay, and I brought it so I love it. It's pan up.
Speaker 4: It's an architecture magazine, but it just like years ago radical optimism.
Speaker 1: Whoa can I give this to you? Okay?
Speaker 4: There's something very very, something very du about this magazine. It's like architecture.
Speaker 1: It is. It's like, look at the typeface, like this is so the album.
Speaker 2: This is the album.
Speaker 1: Look get that whatever.
Speaker 3: That is not.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: It was like scandalizing Dua. It's kind of scandalized, but like right, like something see something really aligned with the album, and like I feel like there is something synergetic.
Speaker 1: We were doing a Cowboy Carter episode.
Speaker 2: That's funny, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: This is even good. This is even album cover.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Two, this was like a couple of years ago, and I feel like we were talking about Cowboy Carter and we were talking about how like Beyonce is this like utopian artist. But I was like, when we were listening to the album the other night, I thought to myself, I was like, oh, there's something about Dua that is also like completely.
Speaker 1: Hopeful, completely You're a lifter. Even with future nostalgia, you're an upper is an upper, especially Real Culture number ninety four, he was an upper. Crush her up, Yeah, crush her up anyway, No cut that, cut that out.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Like, even such a nostalgia in that title, it's like, oh, this is implying that there will be a future in which we can celebrate this work and look back on it and be like, oh my god, remember when this came out? Immediately that album has the sentimental value, right, like we all will forever associate that album with, oh my god, what's happening in the world. At least we have this at least, like I remember, like our friends like on Instagram, like that week of lockdown in Europe, being like guys, at least we have du aleapae the album a week early because she loves her fans so much and she knows what the world is.
Speaker 1: Doctor dua, doctor dua. You know what I mean. I feel like you must identify with this drive of like, can I make the world slightly better? Can the point of view be like things are gonna be okay?
Speaker 3: I definitely love like that as a point of view for sure is something that I always aim for because I see music and words I sing as like a mantra. And if I'm going to get up on stage and sing it every night, I might as well be saying something nice, yeah, or something good or something that's going to make me feel better, because if I'm going to be singing this for a really long time, I'm not trying to, you know, drag me back to a bad experience or something. Or even if I'm singing about something that's danced crying in a way, there's always an optimistic flair to it in some way, like that's always really important. But this is insane because I was thinking, like radical optimism was introduced to me through like the term radical optimism through a friend of mine while I was doing a talk with him on his podcast, and he was like, you know what the world needs is radical optimism. And I just lived with it for so on, and I'm like, I gotta show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fact that.
Speaker 4: It just but like I had it laid it on me the same way where like those words showed up and I was like, oh my god, why hadn't I considered that?
Speaker 1: And that you were walking large mod that you found this. I was gonna go to go get him Tiger. But then but then the magazine stand stop and you went to Sam's Bigels because they are better, don't that's moment warring Bigel stores on large mind that Wait, I just want to like no, because we're talking about how important feels like a crazy word, but it really was like to have future nostalgia. Like during the time it came out. I wonder if you at the time were like, it's the pandemic. I don't want to do this, but I feel like a calling to do it because now looking back, like, thank god you did that, and I genuinely think it will bind you two people forever because they will have that connection to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the amount of people that actually I mean it is like that's how they connect the album is to that time period for sure. But I guess like anyone else, like I thought, you know, we'd be in it for two weeks or it'd be like a month or and then my tour just kept getting pushed and pushed and pushed, and it was like two years later and I was like, I don't even know if I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Go on tour.
Speaker 3: That's when I started writing Radical optimism, but nothing was coming. And that was probably because I had to go on the Future Nostalgia Tour and do that before I was ready to start writing for anything new.
Speaker 4: But was because it was so freewheeling in the process of songwriting, like maybe with Kevin and Danny and Tobias and Caroline, like naming all these names, but the first of all Tobias Jesso Junior. Have you listened to his his actual album because he kind of got like swept up in the songwriting milliea like with a Dell with like when we were young.
Speaker 1: But he has a great solo album that I think you would love.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, you gotta check him out. In this time of it feels like there is so much new music. It feels like every couple of weeks, like there's this incredible banger in now coming out. In terms of that, like the amount of like volume, what do you attribute that to, Like the fact that like everyone feels like very creatively juiced right now, Like that feels like that way to me. Yeah, for sure, you.
Speaker 2: Don't feel like it's been like that, I guess.
Speaker 3: To me, like I feel like there's such a heavy influx of music and artists, and I think like streaming has made it possible to just constantly discover so many people from all around the world.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it more.
Speaker 1: Than yeah years. Yeah, yeah, it definitely feels like I mean, I was, like I was at Coachella, like I said, about a week and a half ago, and I remember leaving and being like music is in such a good fun place because everywhere you looked there was something cool happening or like someone interesting, Like I found this artist Olivia Dean.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think she's incredible.
Speaker 2: She's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I didn't know of her, and meanwhile, she's so divised.
Speaker 2: She perform at Coachell. She did was good, she was great.
Speaker 1: She was in the which is like a more intimate you've been to coach amazing.
Speaker 2: I went for a day today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should go for two weeks.
Speaker 2: As you go.
Speaker 3: I went one time because I went to go sing a song I did with Martin Garricks years ago, and so I went for the day and I explored it and I haven't been and I've never performed other than that. You must you may, Yeah, I seen that. That's on your agenda on my agenda.
Speaker 1: I have an agenda here. There is an agenda, Matt. Yeah, I mean like it's like that silly thing of like when you leave Coachella and have a good time, it becomes your personality for like a week and a half afterwards. Like I was just like that was so good, and everyone was talking about the potential of Doachella. I mean, it's not going to be confirmed here on Lost Coach today. I can tell you that right now unless unless not.
Speaker 2: No, and there's just no plan for it right now.
Speaker 1: Maybe I st okay, wait.
Speaker 3: Glaston but Glaston refers like Glassties my biggest three my life. That's like the pinnacle for me. That's something that I've dreamt about since forever. And yeah, the more I think about it, the more scared and irvous I get. But I'm just I just can't believe that I get to do it. And I'm so Excited's Friday night because that means I can like party on Saturday Sunday exactly.
Speaker 2: But the days roll.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to have you been to Glaston Breed, I'm dying a girl. Maybe this is the this is the year.
Speaker 1: No, honestly, that would be you know, what's funny. We talked about going. We talked about going. I know I can't this year, I know, going to shooting a film, but I can go. Do you have like a iconic Glastonbury set that's in your mind of like the top or like any festival set that you like really put in high regard.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I mean I feel like I can put you in Kylie's Glastonbury set, Like on.
Speaker 3: This Kylie's Glastonbury set. I went to go see that and it was amazing. It was amazing. She's unbelievable. I absolutely love her. But even like Adele's Glastonbury set, like I normally go to Glastonbury with my parents and like with my friends and it's just like we all roll deep and I turn around and my mom's just balling her.
Speaker 1: Eyes to adel Oh my god, it's so.
Speaker 3: Like everyone's just so emotional holding each other and it's just beautiful, like the best time ever.
Speaker 4: But I feel like this is the reason I bring up Kylie's because I think she's also talked about Glastonbury in the same sort of emotional way where it's like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Like my spiritual experience, and for her, she.
Speaker 1: Was like have to go. You have to.
Speaker 3: There's no there's nothing like it. It's its own world that you go into. And there's so many different stages and so many different artists and so many different worlds you can get lost in. Yeah, it's unbelievable, ubel unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You have to go. Like, you're so excited, excited because I'm such a fan at the festival.
Speaker 1: Are you rehearsing already like I would imagine like for all that.
Speaker 3: No, I've already like set list, musical direction, what we're doing, what it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna look like. I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: And the thing about Gloucester and the way that you, I guess kind of make a specially, it's just like it's a one off show. You do it once, never to be repeated again. That's it that happens that one night. So just don't fuck it up.
Speaker 1: It's so exciting like that. Fuck just that stage picture alone incredible. What do you mean? I just can't think what are you most nervous about?
Speaker 2: Just like holding my ship together?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the best in the bizna to just be like, yeah, you're gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I'm strong, i gonna do this. I'm not gonna bawl my eyes.
Speaker 1: Out of you. But if you do, you'll funnel it in and it'll be incredible.
Speaker 2: It's fine, but yeah, it'll be fun.
Speaker 1: What's like the most moment in the DUA set for Doua? Is there a song that you're like that's like, especially like your song. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't thought about it in that way.
Speaker 3: I from the new record, like maybe these Wolves.
Speaker 1: It's so I just think about like it's like, it's like it's a Glastonberry. It's this like moment that you've waited for all your life and it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Every song that I write in the studio, my barometer is like, how is this gonna sound like?
Speaker 1: Blast? And the live instrumentation on this album, I think, Yeah, you're gonna have so much fun doing so Yeah, happy for You is gonna of it a very special It's so good. And also that feeling the way that that song Happy for You ends the album, and especially it being titled Radical Optimism. I think that something that's the hardest thing to achieve is genuine, genuine, genuine happiness for the person.
Speaker 2: Genuine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really the top achievement is genuine by Pony, just like that feeling of wow. I saw a picture of my ex and his new girlfriend or boyfriend or whatever, and I didn't feel like I wanted to throw myself off a building. In fact, it was actually I felt good about it. Good, like this idea of like, you guys look hot together. If my ex and someone else ever looked hot together, it would be tough. But to get there, to get that.
Speaker 3: Place, it's like even being able to write that for me, I was like, oh, I'm reaching new levels of maturity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: You know, both of you are more evolved human beings than I am. Ever, that never had that scorch strength every time, scorch strength every time. How can you guys get over yourselves like that? You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm like, it's the ego. I know, it's the ego, like superseding all. But I'm like, no, Like, this is a huge mistake.
Speaker 1: This is a massive error in judgment for you. It will never be right for me. So you're just not going to release radical optimism that yours is not going to be that well.
Speaker 4: I think the album doesn't really have any bitterness to it.
Speaker 3: I don't think no even like French exit is kind of like I hope you understand. Yeah, you're you're hoping for someone else to have radical optimism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, slowly, yeah, floating away from a situation. I think, Okay, can I say something about Dua?
Speaker 2: I think please?
Speaker 1: I feel like you are what you embody beyond like.
Speaker 4: The music, the work, the writing, the talent, that the effortlessness is also taste because I feel like, say it with Service ninety five, which is your your editorial platform, which I literally I wait for the news level you do. I read and I'm like, oh my gosh, she's writing about like drag kings this week, she's writing about like lesbian bars this week or whatever. I'm like, there is like your time, and like you don't have to be honest about this, but like how much of that is you like looking at like I'm sure you have a team of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a team for sure that there is. Yeah, well I sit.
Speaker 3: In in the right it's not really right in like st L, but it's like it's it's a team meeting that we would do on a Tuesday and we would sit and everybody just kind of brainstorms different ideas and it's like Oh, this is interesting, let's dive more into this. Or you know, we've done so many different things on DRAG and it's like, why don't we make a whole issue on that and dive in deeper into that and going in and talking to different chefs from around the world and getting them to make recipes and all those things things that I love and I just want to know more about. So this is stuff that keeps me curious and excited and learning, and so it's like, Okay, let's commission interesting stories from all around the world and learn more. So it's fun, but it's a team effort.
Speaker 1: It's a team.
Speaker 4: Effort, of course, but there's like undeniably like your sort of like layer on it, like as a reader.
Speaker 2: That's the things that I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the things that I just want to I'm constantly wanting to know and learn more of. Like I turned to Service ninety five when I'm like looking for restaurants.
Speaker 1: This to take your own recommendation.
Speaker 2: No, some are mine and then some are like from other people that we go in.
Speaker 3: We had like a whole piece on Cairo, and it's like, I haven't been to Egypt yet, but I know that when I go, I'm going to go and look at that and look at those recommendations. So it's really exciting to have those bookmark and have something to look forward to and something to learn.
Speaker 2: From as well.
Speaker 4: Because I was lucky enough to do at Your Service, which is the podcast piece of it, and you were like, oh, like give me like seven things, like we do this thing where everyone knows a list. I do lists, and I was like, oh, do it puts together lists. I always remember this. I always remember that, like, well, do a lipa keeps the list of restaurants in every city?
Speaker 1: I should do this.
Speaker 4: I maintain these lists. And part of Service ninety five is like the travel piece, right, It's like that is like a huge focus of it. So when I see these people say she's in.
Speaker 1: Every city, she's traveling so much, I go, this is who she is.
Speaker 3: Literally, it's just in such a big part of me, Like I love and when I was touring so much of it was like I'm trying to have fun. I want to make sure that I can dive into the culture, try the different restaurants, see the art that's around, go to the different bars, feel the city in a different way, Like I don't want to travel the world and then lay it down the line and be like, yeah, I've been there, I've been there. I've been there, but I haven't seen anything. I haven't experienced anything. This way, I can like go do all the things, have a lot of fun, and then share it with everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love it. I wonder like someone that like appears as busy as you do you feel rested when you need to feel rested, Like do you feel like you prioritize that, because when you're on an album cycle, I can imagine it's crazy. I mean, you're doing a lot for this and it feels obviously the future nostalgia rollout was different because of the pandemic. But I wonder like, do you consciously say to yourself like I'm going to chill for this period of time or are you like someone that's like energized by moving all the time. Like I wonder a bit both.
Speaker 3: Like for me this past like I don't know, a few months, like I had a couple of weekends off and I was like, I'm gonna go to Madrid.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, have fun. You're like him and do that. You know, I'm in London.
Speaker 3: It's so easy when you're in Europe because you can just like bounce around. I'm gonna get to Paris for a weekend.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna, you.
Speaker 3: Know, go to different restaurants, drink good wine, have fun. Like I'm trying to just have fun in the midst of it. Like I'm working on stop, So why can't I just do whatever the fun I want to do on the weekend. And so I just I take the opportunity whenever I can to do that. But then sometimes when everything's like really intense and I'm like, all right, I'll go into the countryside and do that for two days. That's still like a getaway and like doing something and going on walks and hikes and stuff, but it's more chilled.
Speaker 2: But I'm an activity. Google calendar is crazy. Oh It's my favorite thing, and it's popping off.
Speaker 1: It's full to the.
Speaker 3: Completely every day. I'm busy every day plans. I know what I'm doing, I know where I'm going for dinner in two weeks time.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not going to be anytime. I'm the same way, like when I look at my Google honder and there's like a whole white day, like it has nothing on it. I'm like, can we do it? Am I going to be crazy that day? The day that I'm not. He's so bad at that because honestly, I'm in all the group chats with him. I know what he's planning. It's like he he'll have a few days off and he's like, should we do this? Should we do that? Should we go here? And I'm like, don't you need to sit down? I don't have the self governing peace in my head that likes.
Speaker 2: But do you get energized from that? Or do you? Then you then why did I do this?
Speaker 1: I'm exhausted. You're gonna see the ills because I'm telling the truth with my eyes. If these walls could talk, let's check back in after you host, because I mean, it's a different thing entirely for you. Obviously you thought you were busy. Wait till wait.
Speaker 2: Till Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 3: Week is gonna be man, it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be I know. I'm so excited. I've never been more excited.
Speaker 1: Always have you always wanted to do it?
Speaker 2: Or this is my dream?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Working towards this hoping that you know I'd get as to do double ge.
Speaker 1: I mean your American Glasstow American last all that American glass though. Wow, for you to say that about USA now, such a company man, you're such a great NBC employee. Well you really are an icon, you know. Speaking of icons, we turned to you now to ask the central question of our podcast, which is du A Lipa. What was the culture that made you say culture is for you? This formative pop culture moment that you can look back and be like, oh yeah, du A Lipa definitely became Dua Lipa because of that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: When I was fifteen, I went to a Katy Perry concert.
Speaker 1: Well done, good job, already, we're happy.
Speaker 2: We really about this.
Speaker 1: No, oh, there's a story. There's a story, Okay, tell the story.
Speaker 3: So I went to a Kate Very concert when I was fafteen. It was at the hm V Apollo in Hammersmith in London, and I was so excited.
Speaker 2: Went early to get.
Speaker 3: To the front of the queue to be in the front row, and there was a moment where Katie was bringing people up on stage to answer her I.
Speaker 1: Don't know about that, and I, oh my god.
Speaker 2: It was climbing over.
Speaker 1: You were being that girl. It's like it's me.
Speaker 2: And then like one of the dancers like.
Speaker 3: Hold me up, and I get up and I'm like dancing and uh it's to Whitney Houston. It's like, oh, I want to dance. It is some bad and we're all dancing. It's like the best of my life. My friends are in the front. I'm like, I did it. I'm up here. And every time now when I get off the stage when I finish my show, that's a song that I play to keep people dancing at the end. So I just wanted to like keep that going. And it's so great because when I get off stage, I get videos from my whole team of seeing people in the crowd carrying on the party and carrying on dancing. And that was something that Katie Perry like brought into my life. And I just I loved being on that stage. I loved being with her. And she was wearing like the most amazing like it was California Girls. So she was wearing this like sparkly body suit with the yeah swellly boob and the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It was. It was just.
Speaker 2: It was just amazing with the blue wig.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that is such a good fusion. That was ultra moments too, because it's like Katie Perry's concert, like giving the ground for I want to dance with somebody, and that moment altogether like that, you can see that even in your work and your energy and what you do that it is about like keeping on dancing, keeping the party going, quite literally, so to look back and be able to connect that, it has to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's really fun and I think about it every time. Every time, every time when that song plays, I think about that moment when I was fifteen and on stage and that happened.
Speaker 1: Did he know about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah she does. She does this photographic like evidence of this.
Speaker 1: So honestly, Future Nostalgia was giving me teenage dream vibes at the time because I remember, like, you had your incredible first album, as did she, but then there was like that moment. I wonder, could you feel that moment and was it like something you expected, like you were super proud of Future Nostalgia and kind of knew it would do that or.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it would do that.
Speaker 3: It was definitely something because I was at home. Wow, you know, people were listening to the album. I didn't feel the intensity of I guess the success of it and how much people listened to it, and it was only when I went on tour and I basically at the future Nostalgia tour was all the songs from the album and people were singing deep cuts that I probably would have never performed in a different scenario had it not been that people lived with the album for two years that I was like, oh, like, people love this album.
Speaker 1: I want to see yes to the deluxe. I always say, oftentimes the deluxe you have.
Speaker 2: To give you everything, some secret bang is yes, if.
Speaker 1: It ain't me. I mean that is the genable of culture. Oftentimes, the deluxe album will give you what you want. I'm still in the song in my head. I'm like in a fugue state. Now I okay, So can I just quickly walk through the story of the sketch that we did together. Yes, okay, Marjorie, Marjorie became a legend. Second, Marjorie must return.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should bring it back.
Speaker 1: We should bring is everything and more. I mean that cut to you, and it's just.
Speaker 4: I've been looking for those so fun. I mean, we like walk down to your dressing room, were like, tell you the sketch. You're like, yeah, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: We were like, oh my god, okay, great, and then you stayed and you wering this like gorgeous like camel colored coat on the floor and you were just standing there with our stage manager, Chris, and I was looking over. I was like, oh my god, do us being so patient and so sweet, and she's I can't believe she's like sticking around for this.
Speaker 4: And then we did this sketch was great. I don't I remember this At dress rehearsal it was dead last yeah, And that usually means it's like buried. It's it's like okay, like, well, this could go either way. It could either be great or if it's it'll close the show on a high note. But maybe it's not like top of show, like doesn't give it the burst of energy up top that the show needs. And I was like, okay, this might get cut. I really hope it doesn't. It's so stupid, it's so silly, like do.
Speaker 1: Is in it?
Speaker 4: And like, I really hope she has fun this show. And then it did well at dress rehearsal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then between dress and.
Speaker 4: There they moved it all the way to the top yeah, and I was like, wow, it was like one of the best nights of my life because we did the sketch, it went great, and then for the rest of the show, I was like chilling.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm done. And then I got there's footage of this, Mary Ellen Matthews that PHOTOGRAPHERTESNL has video of me dancing to you doing levitating and like the jellyfish Valentino. Yeah, yeah, Oh that was such a moment, and.
Speaker 4: That exact moment was me thinking to myself, wow, we just did like because that was the Christmas show. I was like, we just did like ten shows that were so hard to do and like lockdown, we're all so tired. And then I went, I can't believe I'm one of the lucky few people in the world right now who gets to see like a live forms a live performance, because it was just like there was no live music. It was like literally December twenty twenty, and I was just like, I can't believe I get to see this, and it was just like looking at you like wow, wow, oh my god. I was like this is so cool, and like I feel like you've given me so many like hits of euphoria, like at every stage with every album. I remember where I was when I saw new rules for the first time. I remember I came out like every roll out, I'm like, there's a time and a place for it. And that's like, that is like the emotional connection that I think you make in people's minds.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, thank you so much. I mean when I think back to that SNL, I was I was so nervous. It was my second time performing at SNL, and I remember doing like the sound check and my knees were shaking.
Speaker 2: I think it's just like that pressure of it. Just you're there. They just go right three two one, and it's time. You just go for it.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I was so nervous.
Speaker 3: And then we did the dresser hussle skit, and then afterwards when we all come into the room and Lorn comes and gives everyone knows, something shifted in my brain where I was like, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Part of a team. That's fine.
Speaker 2: That's how I felt.
Speaker 3: It was like, Oh, I'm part of a team, and we all we're all here to support each other, we all want this to be the best show it can be. And when I got up on stage to perform again, it was almost like I had this separation of just going and performing like I just felt like I was more embedded in the in the team. I was like, this is a production and we're just putting this all together and this is just another part of a bigger thing.
Speaker 1: Less individual and less individuals everyone.
Speaker 2: That's how it felt.
Speaker 3: And I felt like now and I look at those videos, I look at them so fondly because I see a different kind of confidence of being part of a unit. So I just I love those performances. And that's kind of also where I was like, I think I'd really like to host yeah some time, and that.
Speaker 1: Was probably gonna to be even more fun because it's gonna be another level of that feeling, which is like you'll be in every sketch yeah, and performing twice, so it's like you're gonna be like almost like the word is like executing instead of like no, you're gonna be so good.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, It's it's the same. It's the exact same like epiphany that you had. It's the same thing where it's like, yes, you're hosting, like it's like you being everything, but but it's a team thing. That's what I Yeah, only one every level is there to make sure that like you have a great time, that you come off while, that you score, that it's a funny show, and also that, like so much of each show, an episode is dictated by the host's vibe for lack of a better term, And like I say, it's like everything you do brings this sort of radical optimism, brings this sort of like very cool kind of joy. This like bridled but not bridled as but I just mean to say, like it's like deeply comfortable. It's a comfortable, confident kind of joy. I feel like you've always brought that. I'm just like hurtling compliments.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I love that.
Speaker 2: I'll take it. I will take it. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: But the taste thing, I'm just like everyone every gay man at a party is somewhere, like anywhere in the world right now, there's someone holding a cocktail. But I'm like a lipa has the best taste. That's literally happening right now, now somewhere I don't know where. It's like right now, there's there's there being like does have the best and always has and showays has. So you said Illusion came first, and I think Illusion might be my favorite on the whole album outside of these walls. Is there a moment when you're writing Illusion where you're like, now I'm fucking excited and is it the pre chorus?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I just like when that, when that came into the song, I was like, here we go. This is like and I'm wondering if because you say that was first.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, we got really excited about it and it was different. I also love the dance break. I think that was the dance break instrumentation. And it's again thinking about like the live performance. How can we what is this going to sound like when people come to see it live? You know, what is the different things that we can bring and how can I dance this? And how can we make this fun and exciting and joyous? And yeah, that was like the first song that yeah, just really griped men.
Speaker 1: I'm not synesthetic, but I feel it when I listen to that album. Does that makes sense?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I feel like, what do you see for Illusion? I see like neon blue? Like does that make sense? It is not because the album is that a pool. I mean the video is at a pool, but like, I don't know, I just feel like it's like, but there's also yellow, there's yellow. I don't know it's you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's it's the channel, it's.
Speaker 1: What I'm wearing. It's because I looked at myself in the mirrots and and you're like, London. I was actually wondering today. I was like, are people going to think, like, oh, they booked it for the podcast and that one bleach blonde that's what broke that.
Speaker 2: It was so good?
Speaker 1: Do you feel that way?
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Taste. She wouldn't lie, no.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. I probably just wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Say yeah, you probably would.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The girls that my coffee place in l A I can tell don't like it because they didn't say anything. But that was before I toned.
Speaker 2: That was before you tell me like it was a little brass.
Speaker 1: So I walked in and I was like, hey.
Speaker 2: It's like whenever you.
Speaker 1: See someone with like a new hairor new look and you're like hi, and they're like, hey, so, how's your day going? And I'm like, oh, god, not how's your day? Really skipped over the headline headline of that nasty headline of wow, you're blonde. Now you really did it well?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you? My therapist does two. I lugged on and there was like that moment of like I had to laugh because I was like, I'm logging on zoom and she's gonna see me blonde. And then the therapist, you know, it's gonna have to like, Okay, my thirty four year old game is blonde, so go ahead. But I'm fine, I'm great.
Speaker 4: What's one reaction that stands out to you of you showing someone that your new hair this color, which is stunning, by the way.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Someone was like, oh, hey, wow.
Speaker 2: It's nice. I actually don't know.
Speaker 1: People would be too scared scary. No, no, but no, people wouldn't want to like so doubt in your mind.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no I am. I think it was more initially I had.
Speaker 3: It a little bit bleached, huh to get it to the red because my hair was really black, right, And I think it was really my hairstylist, Peter, who just took one look at it and he was like, it's in cold condition.
Speaker 2: We gotta do a little bit of work here.
Speaker 3: And it was just like the speed dialing calling me being like her hair is gonna fall out, don't.
Speaker 2: Do something about this.
Speaker 3: And I think it's like the fear in his eyes that I saw that. I immediately I was like, oh, I'm in.
Speaker 1: Trouble after the first round of bleach or just it was.
Speaker 3: Just like the first round of bleach and the hair just wasn't in good shape. It was more just like I got lucky because like the front bits were holding out all right, like they didn't have a lot of bleach on them for a very long time, so they were fine, and it was just almost like at the back that was just like little clumps of hair. Clumps is such a clumptic word.
Speaker 1: Clums the dance bread and clumps. Only you can.
Speaker 2: Don't bring back the clumps.
Speaker 3: No one wants the clum We want healthy, healthy and.
Speaker 1: Going on with hair that you don't realize that. Even my friend Greta and she was like, we might have to double process, and I'm like, what is double process?
Speaker 3: Was like?
Speaker 1: And was the first process bad? Like? But there's so much it's so much more complicated than you think that I'm going to change my hair.
Speaker 3: It's so much technicality with it and you have to be so careful right here. But it's good now, Yeah, that's great, it's good now. But the first glimpse I caught. I was like, oh no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, who's that person? You're like now I feel like, yeah, you don't recognize yourself.
Speaker 3: And then just waiting because my experience being blonde that was traumatic?
Speaker 1: Was it really?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like it was fun for a little bit.
Speaker 3: But when I went like Draco Malfoy level, like I wanted to be like peroxide blonde, it's just every shower.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it just clumps, the clumps. It was the clumps.
Speaker 3: And I had like an involuntary like what's it mullet, Not an involuntary mullet. Involuntary mullet. That's when you know things are not going well.
Speaker 1: Voluntary and.
Speaker 2: Or it just not at all. No, not for me either, but I had one.
Speaker 3: So it just it was there and I would wake up in the morning and I'm like, right, let's try and.
Speaker 1: Show it up for electricity like that era.
Speaker 3: No, And it's just it was a week. Oh so it was after it was don't start now.
Speaker 1: Oh, but like the roots were coming in chic sheep, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think they were the bleach plant is like, no, it worked for a little bit, but there had to be a lot of magic behind the scenes that was happening there. That's why I couldn't keep it for long enough because it was just so clumps clumps.
Speaker 1: We just said the words don't start now. And do you know what, Sung never got the respect it should have gotten, even though was the single and did well. This should be a national anthem internationally. Physical Yeah, yeah, you think it is my favorite? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I still being in the industry, I still haven't quite figured.
Speaker 1: Out how like which one is gonna.
Speaker 2: Like how things like what or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like, I just put them out and it's it's good because on tour it just like it kicked.
Speaker 2: Off, So I'm like the one, this is the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I just never really think of things in terms of like chart stuff because it's but I get it.
Speaker 2: Physical is a it is a banger.
Speaker 1: It is so good. You know, when we were guest judges on drag Race, the lip sing song was hallucinate, were very I love, Yeah, it's really good. That was that was a moment we look like, have you guess judged drag Race before?
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 1: Oh god, they got to roll on the red carpet. They do so many of your songs.
Speaker 2: I know, I've seen a few of them.
Speaker 1: There's been some Nastroga doing physical physical is incredible that the physical.
Speaker 3: Physical, it's so good. I've always seen what I saw the sweetest pie.
Speaker 1: They did break my heart.
Speaker 2: I think I've seen all of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're all pretty indelible. They're really canonized in drag Race, and I think it like it has to do with the song.
Speaker 1: There's one that Simone did too. Yes, okay, yeah, it's so fucking chic. It's so good.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I feel like there's a concentric circle around what you put out that like also makes other people do something beautiful and tasteful and joyful.
Speaker 1: This is like.
Speaker 4: I got so shy talk to me the first time, and I still am, but like the first.
Speaker 1: Time I talked to you, because I was just like we have to go like picture of silly little sketch to do, uh, because there's such a superstar but the thing is no, but I mean you are, but like yours are so kind and cool that it's like I understand what he's saying because like you are like this is like such a bizarre word. It must bizarre to be this, but like being like an idol, like a pop icon, like very few people are, and so you understand why a gay guy is like I was nervous to meet you. You get it, You get like boa guys, these gay guys. There's so many gay guys telling you holding cop and they're nervous to meet you.
Speaker 3: But then they meet you with and it's like we can hang out and we're going to the box.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna go to the after party? Yes?
Speaker 2: You got one thousand percent?
Speaker 4: I don't think somebody Ryan Gosling did not show up to the after party, And that's okay, it's actually it's not a real I don't think so many because he's like he's Ryan.
Speaker 3: Got go but one thousand percent. But also sometimes like I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: There was one moment where I'm just gonna say we were there. It was the Lizo episode, uh huh, And there was the after party and Lizzo showed up ready to party for the after party and no one was giving the party, and I was like, you guys, Lizo just showed up and is ready to do this. Literally about twenty minutes later, are we are we dancing?
Speaker 2: Are we hanging?
Speaker 1: Are we we need to push for dance? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Push for dance, Yeah, because normally it's like not a dancing situation, push for dance. The only time it got so dancing was when in recent was when RuPaul hosted Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like you're on that level where it's like we gotta okay, Okay, we're gonna do Dan, you have well, I guess like you both can kind of make this happen. Where should you pick and just tell Lauren like or whoever? Yeah, like Lauren books the after bart. I'm just wondering if zero bond was available on the fourth, we're actually gonna have some fun and dancing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Have you been in a basement yet?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Wait, you would be Mom's at basement. I haven't been to basements like a berg heint inspired like club and do.
Speaker 1: You put on a wigan go incognito? No?
Speaker 2: I have not done so, but maybe I should.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you need to? Could you?
Speaker 2: I know, I just do that.
Speaker 3: I just well, you just go you just.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't be okay, guy? Can you go nowhere? You can't even go into McDonald's. Can you probably a scene? The way gay men talk, you must be insane right now.
Speaker 2: No, we're not insane. We're being normal.
Speaker 4: No, but it's like, do you it goes to basement. She's not gonna be bothered at all because it's gonna be all of these gay men like shaking in the corner being like we can't go talk to her, but you can.
Speaker 2: We can't have people getting sweaty up basement.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Is it like an every night thing, weekend thing.
Speaker 4: Mostly weekends. People love to come out as the sun rises. It's that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I think it's your like time cafe.
Speaker 2: No really, because that's like a really American thing with things carries three or something.
Speaker 1: It's three here, it's like one everywhere else. In a very shocking and traumatizing way. It's like you're sending me home now.
Speaker 3: I WoT it.
Speaker 1: I'm like this is crazy, Like I'm acting like I have all this energy like to be out until four every night, but like sometimes it does feel weird, like in La everything's down one now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: People got to do like the London model where it's like go to Dalston Superstore and stay there. Love London.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is the Spanish thing with people like go to the club at like two and then you leave crawling at like five.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That perfect to do Spanish.
Speaker 1: In a lot of ways the Spanish now.
Speaker 4: About Spanish people, and not to generalize, but it's like that I've talked about the Madrid airport at length.
Speaker 1: Oh Bowen, Yeah, sure, are you public about this? You had a grinder hook up at the Madrid airport. It was just like Layoverdrid day to.
Speaker 4: Madrid back to London. The walk from gate to gate was like twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The Madrid reper has a sea thing where it's like to this terminal, it's gonna be like a fifteen minute walk. Get ready, and so you walk and every guy I passed was like eyeing me, and I was like wait a minute, and then every guy would get progressively hotter and hotter, and I'd be like, what is going on here? And then finally it was like okay, let me just open up my apps. And then like ten minutes later, like.
Speaker 1: You were blowing up. It was do you have a Brinder account? That would be iconic if you were just on this like training season is over? Like, uh, by the way, Barries, do you live a thing with?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We did a training season thing.
Speaker 1: I did do a class.
Speaker 2: How is it really good?
Speaker 1: Shout out to Matt Conrad in La and Hollywood. It really doesn't all do a class? Oh my god. Fun it was good and then there was a shake yeah, and I.
Speaker 4: Had it and it was I just guessed as a Barris class, how did it go? I was like, oh, I have all these bets planned didn't do a single one of them because Lindsay Clayton, who is a star trainer at bet Barr's Chelsea, was like, okay, everybody like get on the floor and like I did like one shoulder tap. I was like my brain melted. I couldn't say a single It's hard.
Speaker 3: Berries.
Speaker 2: I've done Barries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's so intense.
Speaker 1: I don't love it.
Speaker 3: I don't love running like I much prefer like double floor.
Speaker 1: His double floor.
Speaker 3: Everybody do his double floor, double duty, double floor.
Speaker 1: Like that twenty nine. I'm ten or whatever. No, I'm in the twenties. Do you always pick the same one if you can? I'm always on T eighteen or no, T twelve. No, but that's a nice auspicious thingious thing for me. Anyway. If there's a dual class that barriers take it, you're gonna sweat, it's gonna be fabulous. We'll regret it, I'll move. I think it every time for I don't think so, honey. So this is the segment where we kind of go off for a minute, if you will, on something in pop culture that's bugging us. And I have something topical, all right, this top of my head and topical, Matt Rogers, I don't think so, honey. Time starts now. I don't think so, honey, just because someone is blonde that they're in crisis. Okay, I really appreciate your concern. I promise you. This is a reflection of my happiness and my say it with me radical optimism. If I was in crisis, I would not roll the dice on my head. I get that some people do this. That's not how I am. This is an expression of the color of my spirit blonde. I also feel that I've been spiritually moving in this direction for years. Will it remain this way? No?
Speaker 2: For the summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'm at Glastonbury, I'm gonna be looking like this. Come up and talk to me. The vibes are gonna be high because I'm gonna be seeing Dua Lipa. I'm literally I don't have a ticket yet, but I'm debting one. I'm talking myself into going, and yow, I'll be blonde and it won't be because I'm upset, because I'm thrilled. So please join me. Everyone, dye your hair blonde. What you do is you go and you get the bleach. You put it all over your head. Your friend can do this, and then you put a little bit of tone.
Speaker 3: Ron.
Speaker 1: Make sure you get that purple shampoo. If you have to double process, do it. Purple shampoo is major used it today? Am I overusing it? Maybe? But we'll find out soon if my hair is lavender. But for now it's blonde, and I'm happy about it. That's one minute. There we go and it's the colors of illusion.
Speaker 2: I feel like I held my breath through all of that.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've gone the color of purple shampoo.
Speaker 4: Listen, if you overget correct, it's actually fine because purple also that silvery kind of blonde looks kind of cheap.
Speaker 1: It could be kind of good, you know. But then you were saying in the elevator that a little bit of brass is in. I was like, okay, I take a little bit of brass is in you blonde? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is, it's like my therapist didn't think this either. When I logged on, she was like, oh, I didn't think necessarily think something was wrong. But I also think it's like an easy way to pick on someone like oh, he's blonde, right right right. Like I was reading through the comments I should not have done this on that post where you premiered absolute stalker. Well, I was just like, what are people saying? Because I was I was seeing some nonsense, and I was like, y'all, he's fine. My dad dragged me. He was like, well, I bet there'll be an Instagram Live to debut this. And I was like, Dad, no, I didn't do this for everyone else. I did this for me. Seconds later me, but he really got me there. I bet they'll be an Instagram live. Uh. Oh.
Speaker 4: Anyways, he knows me. Are you ready to do your I think so. It's it's a little bit pedestrian, but I'm gonna do it. I don't think that's for you to say. I think that's for the critics out there to say this is Bowe and yangs. I don't think so, honey, his time in fact stars now I don't think so, honey. The crisping drawer, what are you doing? The crisping drawer in the fridge. It's not doing the work.
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with this?
Speaker 2: Crispings? What do you call me?
Speaker 4: Put that vegetables? Fruits doesn't do anything? Could be a box with a poor handle off. I come home after three days away from my apartment. The grapes, the spring onion, moldy, the ginger absolutely fungally destroyed. I don't know what I have to do to keep my produce fresh. I'm looking up all of these solutions online. It's fifteen seconds, fill a jar with water and cut up your cucumber and then put it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm not doing any of that. I'm keeping the vegetables whole mother nature intended. And if you're not going to do anything for your refrigerator, I am just going to salt everythings. You is it's the world against me? The crisping drawn at it right.
Speaker 2: I was like, what even is that?
Speaker 1: I had to take a second. So, but that it is? That is what it's called.
Speaker 2: Is it something else in dripping?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I thought it's just a draw in your fridge.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, exactly. But to put now, to have a name for it, to say crisp, I might be crazy. I might have named it's something that no one else calls it. My issue with the crisping drawer. It's great already back there, back up, it's called the crisping draw she's actually looking it up? Are you literally looking it up? Because I broke my last apartment. It's incredibly easy to break as when it wasn't doing anything to beget I took it out because it got Yeah, And that's my concern is that the crisping drawer is where I put everything where I'm like, well, I guess I'm healthy now, healthy girl, And then you put it in there and it's shrivel. You never touch it.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get you get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: No, I understand, and I get the drama.
Speaker 1: Here's the part where you pop off. Are you ready to do your I don't things so, honey, because you came in and you definitely have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had one.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like with it.
Speaker 1: We were okay starts.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't think so, honey. I think you can work hard and play you know, I feel like, no matter what, people are still gonna call you the Thekanza Queen. Everyone think that I'm always on holiday. I'm not always on holiday. I'm actually always fucking working. Yeah, but I make sure that I do the work. I get it done. I never make I make sure that I want.
Speaker 1: You make lists forgot?
Speaker 2: I make lists.
Speaker 3: I also never do the same job twice. I make sure that I do it well. And I do it well the first time, yes, and so I never have to do it again. So then I have more free time to hang out, chill and do nothing but have fun when I'm not working. Fifteen that's it, and I'm working and I'm having fun right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want, and you can play. You can do anything you want. You can do five seconds you want.
Speaker 1: That's it. First of all, when goes on vacation, that is a text right off, that's going into the worst, going into the war, going into the world.
Speaker 3: So I can then come back refreshed, yes, and looking cute, so I can do more.
Speaker 1: You don't have illusion if do it doesn't go on vacation period. Do you want that world? Shut up? Shut up? Pop crazy? And she might do Coachella, but stop class and during first and stop you're being too much.
Speaker 4: If she's the Theconza queen, then we are the Thecanza gesters, and we are Yeah, we are.
Speaker 1: I just booked with Aconza to go to Coachella.
Speaker 2: Okay to go, Vicnza to go.
Speaker 1: I have so many emails from Vicanza asking you the review. I don't have the greatest review of the place I stayed in Coachella was like to get in the gated It was like a gated community, B and B and let me say something about the gate. There has to be a button, a button because human error can happen. There's someone there twenty four hours. There wasn't ever cut to me at three in the morning after Neon Carnival, can't get into my damn home, after DJ James Kennedy's big set. Do you watch vander Pump Rules?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I did watch any reality TV?
Speaker 2: No I did.
Speaker 3: You're just should because I just feel really left out because everyone's like vander Pump Rules all that something else.
Speaker 1: I feel left because everyone's rules. You are queen of taste. You don't have to touch it, don't want to do you watch or you just always she's reading Pinko. She's not watching television.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I just watched his baby rained it.
Speaker 1: Oh, hey, watch Taste. Everyone is talking about.
Speaker 3: This one more episode left.
Speaker 1: Yes, I heard it, pops off. I hear it's great. Yeah, belieb okay, this is gonna be the show of the year. All right, love it, babyan dear, I'm watching. I always look to him as like my she Taste maker friend because he always finds things first. Have you ever watched Perfect Blue? No, tell her about it? You watched Perfect Blue series?
Speaker 4: So Toshi Cohen, did you ever watch Paprika that anime film or Took Your Godfather's or Milinny Mattress? Okay, so she is like was at the time a contemporary of like a Miyazaki kind of People were kind of putting them in the same camp. But it's this His first movie is about this pop star who transitions out of a pop girl group in nineteen ninety so this movie comes at nineteen eighty seven. But then she transitions into acting, and then her stalker gets mad, and then she finds this like blog that's written in her voice, but it's not her who's writing it. But for some reason it knows all these details about her. There's all these twists, like her manager is a little bit suspicious. And then it's about how like the Internet is distorting her reality and like she's believing what the internet version of herself is like being fed to her. It's like really fascinating. Like for me, it's about all these things, but like I watch it as a reminder that like whatever is going on in here is like not real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Or it's actually least perfect or the perfect perfect blue perfect perfect. And it's a title of like a pulpy novel Japanese novel that was adapted the director Statuchico was like, I don't know why it's called that, but I'll make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know why it was called that either. I don't think anyone knows why it's called that. Very dark and scary, but like at the end, again there is radical optimism at the end. I believe like there is a moment at the area where do you understand that there's been like like some growth and a change. And just like while we're talking about that, I wonder because he picks up the phone and you're like, it's not real. Was there a moment that there was like a transition for you and like I'm engaging with people and like what they think to now? Or do you find yourself like still engaging.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bit of a push and pull.
Speaker 3: I took myself off Twitter just as I was writing Future Nostalgia. But I was like, people were so mean all the time, and I started thinking that everyone thought that of me, that it was real until like I would go out and I'd be in the park and someone would just come up and be like, Hey, I love your song or h this made me feel really good or whatever, and I was like, oh, wait, maybe like the public perception isn't the way that I think it is. Like I would get really like nervous because I would think that maybe people were having all these like weird thoughts about me, or like I would be almost like in a way self obsessed and a weird thing, and it wouldn't allow me to connect with people because I'd be like, oh, they probably hate me or they probably think this about me.
Speaker 1: Very distracting creative. I don't want to have that at all.
Speaker 3: So I got rid of Twitter, and then I was able to write an album that felt really freeing and good and whatever, because I was like, it's not real, it's completely separate.
Speaker 2: People spend a lot of.
Speaker 3: Time online to try and bring you down or make you feel bad about yourself or make themselves feel better or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: It's like an outlet.
Speaker 3: And instead of being like you shouldn't say what you think or trying to retaliate in that way, it's like I'm just gonna remove myself, yeah, and then I don't hear it, I don't see it, and I can just get on with things in a different way and have normal experiences and do what you do, yeah, instead of without having to let that yeah, you know, sit on my head kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Because this movie is great because it's like she engages with this bizarre, distorted reality and then literally in the film that physicalizes for her with that character becomes like real to her, and it's like very surreal. It's almost like Black Swan, where it's like there's like another version of her that's antagonizing her, and it's really like the created fantasized version of her. I have to see that. Yeah. And this came out like pre Y two K two, like so pretty ahead of its time in terms of like yeah ninety seven, especially talking about the Internet, Like the computer that she uses in the film is like a nineties computer, Like so way before there was like vility on the Internet like that right on the pulse. But for you to talk about Twitter in a way that like everybody talks about it, which is everyone's me, like every literally everyone has that experience and that says it all. Favorite place to vacation.
Speaker 2: M such a hard favorite place vacation.
Speaker 1: If you said Epcot right now, it would rock, It would rock. The Disney World now you're so cheap period.
Speaker 3: No, I think like you can go to South of Albania, Orbitha I love, We've never been to.
Speaker 2: Is really fun.
Speaker 3: But when I say Beth, the people immediately think of like the one strip with all the clubs where it's like absolute carnage. But you can do really like peaceful quiet. There's amazing restaurants in Ibitha. It's really chill, beautiful little beaches, little cur It's amazing. And then you can like dip out once a week and go to d C ten and just rave. So you just need like it's about balance. But I love because you get best at both worlds.
Speaker 1: That's cool. I love it. This has been so fun and such a joy. I'm like, so Galvan, I used to go to Glastonbury now because I've never been, and if I'm gonna should.
Speaker 2: Be it will be absolutely mad.
Speaker 1: Who are the other headlines.
Speaker 3: Saturday? On Sunday, Shania Twain is doing the Legend slot. Yeah, you know it has to happen.
Speaker 1: I mean that's not last.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be totally are you. I love Shan come on over actually mad after the Grammy's at an after party and she can stay high. I was like, wow, excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a fucking stacked line up. But like you, I think are holding a very very beautiful position on that hooster for me because it's like, I think your first, your.
Speaker 3: First Friday night, because then that means you can just rally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also it's like the Friday night spot is really important because it does set a tone like a case, just as like it was so sick and then Billy came out and that was like a moment forever and it did like set the whole weekend on fire. Afterwards, well we're all living the best experience. Cannot wait. And the album is coming out, I guess in two days and you're doing us, and now that's going to be incredible, just like all the most exciting things.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. This has been so much fun. You can work and you can play.
Speaker 1: You can do it all and there you go. And it was actually writing this episode off on our taxes because it's vacation. We had every episode with the song was good tag. We're notarially off the books yet because we just got it, but it is the vibe Vibe