Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Zadive Charma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic.
Speaker 2: Patrick.
Speaker 1: The Cubs are playing the Detroit Detroit Tigers right now, hoping to take two or three from the Tigers and knock them down a little bit further and try and force them into selling.
Speaker 2: That is what you know.
Speaker 1: These next two weeks are all about who are the sellers that the Cubs can kind of pick from and try and get some pitching. And obviously the big name in Detroit is Trek Scubel.
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: If i'd i'd put the Cubs at the top of the list of teams that are going to be pining for Schooble, but I would put it at you know, no chance of them getting Schooble if the Tigers decide to sell and trade, you know, one of the best pitchers in the game, if not the best pitcher in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we at the Athletic have been kind of asking around about this, and I still think Scooble staying with the Tigers is in play and might be the most likely scenario just when you break out the percentages of you know, kind of Detroit, the field, the Dodgers, Phillies, you know, the usual suspects as well as some surprises like like the Rays and maybe the Brewers. But look there, these games matter at Wrigley Field in a lot of ways. And I know you'll be writing about this this more in the Athletics a Hodave.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 3: Scott Harris Jeff Greenberg, two old Cubs guys are running Detroit's front office and they're going to take this last chunk before the trade deadline to continually re evaluate and see where the club is. So like they are in kind of a playoff mode right now that they have to show the front office that it's worth keeping Schooble. And if you do that, maybe you add a little bit at well this as well. This team wasn't built to be blown up at the deadline. I mean, that's why they signed Frambra Valdez to that big deal around the Star spring training. You don't bring back Justin Verlander with the idea that you're going to sell in early August. But you know, I think the big thing you know Cubs fans probably are tired of hearing it about it, but this first round by a Jed Hoyer has talked about it a lot that it is super important. Essentially, it's like winning a playoff round before the playoffs even start. Just taking those three potential games off the table is a huge deal, particularly when you're a model driven front office. And I think if the Cubs were in the position right now, you'd be seeing their name like right next to the Dodgers, Phillies, Braves as like kind of the most likely pursuers. I think the Cubs are in a tier two behind that right now, given the deficit they're facing in the division and the likelihood that they will have to go through a wildcard series to keep advancing. But it's not at zero. I think what you'll see is a lot of teams, including the Cubs and Tigers, taking this all the way down until the final day, if not the last hours before that deadline, when you you know that's going to force the action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where we sit right now before Wednesday Night's game against the Tigers, the Tigers are five games back in the wildcard they you know, or is that five games back in the top.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's five games back of the final wildcard spot, So that's I mean, that's still within shouting distance. They're they're they're close enough where they're not clear sellers. Uh yeah, I agree with you that the Cubs are not. I mean, if the Cubs are bidding against teams like the Brewers and Dodgers for Schoogle, they're not going to win that bidding more they they it's they they don't have the players to compete with those two teams for sure. The Dodgers are a team that haven't you know, they've done most of their work in recent years in the off season, not as much at the deadline, so you know, and everything that I read it makes it seem like, you know, they're they're not going to that's just not their mo o. It doesn't seem like they overpay it the deadline. They're they're overpaying you know, quote unquote, uh is is done in the off season and it's done with their spending. Uh well, we'll see if they I mean, they have a lot of talent and a lot of depth in the farm, so they could certainly overpaid prospect price just to and not hurt their system.
Speaker 2: Much or hurt their future at all.
Speaker 1: I'd be surprised if if Schooble ends up on the Cubs. If the if the Tigers are selling, the Cubs certainly have should have interest in Schooble, They should have interest in Casey Miz. They should have interest in any any arms that the that the Tigers are willing to put out there, because that's just the situation they're in. They're they're desperate for pitching. I mean, you wrote it like we've We've just wrote this over and over again. They have another injury, Trent Thornton with the heel contusion.
Speaker 2: We will see if he's put on the.
Speaker 1: I l you know, we're over twenty four hours later from from the injury and nothing has happened. He's had I think multiple types of scans, right X rays and something else that there was CT.
Speaker 3: Scam there would not reveal a fracture.
Speaker 2: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: When it initially happened, the night of Council said that heels can be tricky. Uh So the initial X ray, even though it was clear they they didn't want to give him the all all all good there just yet. But for now it seems like he's maybe avoided an eel stint.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was. He was optimistic, but of course that's what you're always supposed to say. I mean, he did, you know, mention that he was able to do a light throwing session on Tuesday. Council said Thursday's off day helps reorganize things. A blowout win on Tuesday night also doesn't hurt either of only using two pictures and none of your leverage relievers such as they are these these days. But yeah, and I think that was interesting seeing the Tigers how aj Hinch managed Tuesday Night's game there of going to position players and like they know it, like they have once they leave Rigley Field ten games against teams that are currently sub five hundred. You look at their August and September schedule, they play the teams in front of them in the Al Central twenty more times, so they they have opportunity in front of them, they could just sort of win series and give their front office a reason to stick together. I think they feel like they had the most talented team on paper heading into the season. Their payroll on opening day was top ten in the entire sport. You know, like the Cubs, they just got hammered by injuries injuries early, and I think you and I are both sort of it's not the most creative process to continually write around injuries and put context to it, but it's been the story, and to the Cup's credit, it hasn't sunk their season in a way that people are wondering whether they're buying or not at the deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the Tigers just don't have like they have every reason to continue to try and go for it outside of where they are in the standings, you know, So like there's a lot of reasons why they'll be patient and wait. So we'll see where they end up and where this is, because I think they are going to wait until closer unless things just fall apart in the next week and there's suddenly nine games back of a wild card spot. But I think they're going to wait the full two weeks before we really have an answer about what they're doing with their pitching. Let's talk about some clear sellers. Let's take a quick break before we do that.
Speaker 4: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families and todd father you've raved about the homeschooling experience.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeschooled. It's a fantastic opportunity for them not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too, and make some new friends. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 4: See how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 2: Patrick.
Speaker 1: The list of sellers isn't certainly not endless. It's not, you know, it's there's a handful of obvious sellers at this point. I put the Angels, Mets, you know, the Giants, Rockies are in there cases in there, maybe the athletics, But the athletics I think want to continue to try and build because they have like the what they believe is a foundation to win, and there's just not a lot for them obvious to obviously sell, and certainly not in the Cubs department. It doesn't feel like they have what the Cubs are looking for.
Speaker 2: But the Angels do.
Speaker 1: The Giants may, the Mets certainly have some intriguing pieces. What are some things that you've heard as far as potential sellers.
Speaker 3: Well, I think definitely. I mean the Cubs and Mats have already made a relatively significant deal, you know, trading for David Peterson and who's pitched pretty well. I mean he's gone three for four in terms of like good performances in this rotation. Obviously they'll be monitoring Clay Holmes as he comes back. I think someone who would be a great fit. He's got a kind of a weird contract situation. I believe he has like a player option for next year that you know, as long as he's healthy, the expectation would be he opts out, and if he's injury, you might opt out too, just because pitching is at such a premium Freddy Peralta another one, but you're kind of looking more at those rental pieces. I guess another reliever the Mets.
Speaker 2: Have Luke Weaver.
Speaker 3: He made a very good impression with the Cubs as a free agent, and they did one of those video conferences and the Cubs were engaged, kind of made a play for him, and you know, he got that two year, twenty two million dollar deal, you know, kind of matching Brad Keller's contract with the Phillies, which has not turned out well. The Cubs were kind of in that market, but not all the way. I think, you know, maybe there's a way to They don't love putting significant resources into their bullpen. They just think it's too unpredictable. But a guy who's pitched well for both New York teams, Yeah, maybe you're willing to pay a little more, uh to get a guy who's under contract for next season. Those rental pitchers, you know, might start to look better when you hear the prices for some of the controllable starters. And and I think a team we've both circled is the Angels. What do you got on them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean read Detmers is a name that everyone's talking about. Like these these are guys that are under control for a while, right read Detmers, Jose Siriato.
Speaker 2: Uh, both through both through twenty two. Yeah, but yeah, no problem, nice nice play for the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deptmers has is eras elevated right now.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit above four.
Speaker 1: But I mean they don't have anyone that strikes guys out at a near thirty percent rate, like like Deptmer's does. I mean this is the peripherals are very much uh, you know, impressive twenty seven percent strike got rate, seven percent walk rate. That's that's standout stuff in a rotation. And right now he's at one hundred and fourteen and two thirds innings like that's that's exactly like that is what the Cubs are looking for. Uh, if they believe, if they like him, if the if the pitching infrastructure believes they can you know, whether it's getting in front of a good defense, whether it's making a tweak, maybe using different pitches at different times, whatever it may be, and just have them level up a little bit more. That's a guy that makes a lot of sense. Soriano does too. Soriano came out like if you guys. If people Cubs fans remember that, you know, he came out just crazy this season, doing really well. He's kind of cooled off, but it's still you know, at three four ERA, solid strikeout rate, he's a big round ball guy. Again, he put that in front of the Cub's defense. Maybe that ERA gets back down again. I think both of them make a ton of sense for the Cubs. It's going to cost a ton what what are the Cubs willing to give up? What are the Angels looking for? But those are two guys I think make a lot of sense. And the Angels need to rebuild. I mean, do they have to move guys like Soriano and Detmers. Probably not, because, like you said, they're under control till twenty eight. But that's what the Cubs are looking for. I think the Cubs would much prefer to you mentioned Clay Holmes and Freddy Pratta. I think the Cubs like Clay Holmes a lot. I think Clay Homes fits that Soriano mold in the sense that he doesn't miss as many bats as Soriano, but he the ground ball rate would be so great in front of the Cubs defense. I think the Cubs would love to get Clay Homes. But as far as a long term play beyond this season and paying a pretty hefty price and being aggressive, Soriano or dept Meurs makes perfect sense for this team, and that they need pitching, you know beyond. They need pitching now and they need pitching for the future. So adding making a move like that to kind of what's expected to be an odd offseason, a disjointed off season, a truncated offseason, I guess to your the ability to make moves is going to be difficult. You may as well try and make a move like that now and you don't have to worry about, oh, you're getting a shorter what if The like the pending twenty twenty seven free agents are a little more worrisome than the ones that are around through twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: The Angels make perfect sense. I think the only issue is what everyone in baseball can point to, just like who's running the show there?
Speaker 2: I mean you have Artie Moreno, an owner who's.
Speaker 3: You know, been involved, but also you know, doesn't really explain himself to his fan base. Perry Manazi and was fired I believe in June John Mozelak very experienced, accomplished is running the team on an interim basis. I believe his contract runs since December, but he hasn't like ruled out the idea of staying around if he's asked, but he'll be involved in the search for his replacement, just like a lot going on out there of just the Angels. I've always been viewed as a sort of you know, sleeping giant, you know, in a great market and location that's very appealing to players, and they've spent money, they've had obviously amazing individual talents, and you know, really big name managers. For a while, it just never really clicked or hasn't been a very long time. And so, you know, I think if you're a front office, you're kind of scouting the other front offices too, right of, like what's the you know, I have no doubt the Cubs could put together a very nice offer that makes sense for a team in their position out in the Al West. Just kind of odds set up, and I guess the Giants aren't quite that strange, but they've been They've just been a mess. And they've got a couple of interesting pitchers that are on the Cubs radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it comes would love to get Logan web right, I really.
Speaker 3: That would that would be the like Jed like mic drop, like yeah you wanted you want a big move, here you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a guy it's competed for. Cy Young's over and over again, always up there and innings pitched. He's I think he's kind of bounced back from a rough start to the season, but his strikeouts are pretty far down still. He gets weak contact. Another groundball guy, funky arm angle, gonna give you a ton of innings. I mean, one of the few guys that gets to two hundred innings still regularly.
Speaker 2: Like how that's super rare.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's gonna happen, you know, I don't think the Giants are moving Logan web Robbie Ray is probably very available though pending free agent. I know there was a time where where this front office liked Robbie Ray. That was years ago. He's a very different pitcher now, you know, he's he's you know, been traded once already. This was back when he was a free agent, back when the Cubs signed Marcus stro I believe the you know, I think that free agent class had Strowman, Robbie Ray, and Kevin Gousman. And my understanding was the Cubs liked Robbie Ray a lot. Obviously, Ray got hurt pretty quickly after after signing with Seattle.
Speaker 2: Was it? I think it was Seattle?
Speaker 1: And he's he's pitching well this season, but kind of the stuff seems a little down. I don't know. I my personal concern is that, like Robbie Ray, is the type of guy that looks good on paper right now and then comes in and has a tough two months just because the stuff and the peripherals don't look like they used to. But maybe the Cubs see something that they love and they're like, hey, we have them throw this pitch a little bit more, or a tweak in the delivery, whatever whatever it may be. If they feel that way, then you know it probably isn't a sky high cost. When when the guy's a pending free agent, giants are definitely sellers. I think those are the the definite sellers. Those are the names we probably have to watch. Maybe we missed a name. It's possible we missed a name. But when you're talking about like Kansas City and Colorado, like Kansas City is like in this weird spot and they're where they I don't think they really want to sell even though they're out of it, that they don't want to like move these guys that they that they may have and they just don't have a ton of attractive pitching options. I know someone's gonna mention Michael Waka. I think that's guy with like really scary peripherals. If i'm if I'm I'm going off memory on him just because I haven't I haven't even bothered doing a lot of research on Michael Waka. Yeah, I mean yeah, like no bad strikeout rate, not a high ground ball rate. It seems like a guy that could kind of what I said about Robbie Ray, like I wouldn't be surprised if his final two months aren't that special in Colorado, you know, I mean, there may be a reliever there that you take a shot on, but I don't think there's a starting pitcher that helps this team.
Speaker 3: I think the name you mentioned we get into the next segment from that free agent class, that one I think we have circle too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take a quick break and we'll talk a little bit about Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 2: If you're watching us.
Speaker 4: You already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mack Weldon with my friend Eric Kratz.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light. It's summertime right now. For me though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 4: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A c K W E L d O N dot com code f o U L.
Speaker 2: Patrick.
Speaker 1: The Toronto Blue Jays were, you know, two outs away from winning the World Series.
Speaker 2: I believe it was they.
Speaker 1: If that was or wasn't one out, I can't even remember whatever it was. They were steps away from winning the World Series and and now they are. They they had a big off season. They were very aggressive. They really wanted to put the finishing touches on a team that was so close to winning it all. And and they're just not having the season they hoped. It's it's been a struggle for them. They're not squarely in the you know, they're selling mode, but it's close. They're nine games under. As we're recording six games out of a playoff spot. They may be ready to start moving guys. They may, I mean, they're certainly contemplating it. Kevin Gossman is a name that I think you would have to circle if you're if you're the Cups.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean guy a guy who pitched in last year's World Series and you know, pitched into the you know, not six innings or more in two starts against that Dodgers lineup. I mean the Blue Jays lost both of those games, but in those two games combined, they scored two runs. Like it was not on the starting pitcher, you know. I think sometimes if you read coverage of the trade deadline, you might be suspicious of like, oh, is this sort of like an a narrative or like, you know, reporters just kind of like putting angles on things like, no, these games matter, Like front officers are watching these stretches carefully and making decisions off of that. And the Cubs like need a couple of these teams on the fence to tip towards selling not just for the you know, individual talent, but also just kind of increasing their options and the pool of available pitchers. And you know, I think Osmond would be kind of at or near the top of that list. I mean, you just give the Blue Jays something to sort of salvage this season and reposition for the future. It just seems like there'd be fewer question marks about a guy who really has been a spectacular free agent. I know, teams understand the risk and they kind of view these things as like actuaries, but this has been an awesome deal for the Blue Jays. I'm sure they hate to give him up, but this is a guy who was a you know, top of the draft type of talent who took a little while to get going but has been just a really good I forgot to look it up on your aces project, but he's one of those guys that would be sort of in that next to your conversation.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, I'm not sure unclear where he really sits, but he's not where he was, you know a few years ago when he was yeah for Young's and but I also think, like he's got a four point five this season, I do not. I think that that's the type of one like that's the reverse of what I'm talking about with Robbie Ray where I wouldn't be shocked if if you get two months of maybe not what Cole Hamil's gave the Cubs back and whatever that was eighteen, but like really good two months like this is did we talk about this last deadline maybe the deadline before where it's like sometimes you go with like these guys with.
Speaker 2: The track record.
Speaker 1: They may not they may like the stuff isn't diminished, the e ra may be elevated, but you believe that, hey, this guy has two and a half months in him that that are gonna be great. I think he fits that mold. Like the strikeout rate isn't awful, it hasn't. It's down a little bit from last year, but still solid. Uh. I mean, he gives you innings doesn't walk guys. I think this is a guy that makes that would make sense depending on cost. Our guy, Mitch Bannon put out like a potential like throughout like five Dodgers trades, And if you go read that story, look at this isn't like he's not writing like he thinks these are the guys that comes with trade.
Speaker 2: But if you look at the offer.
Speaker 1: That he says, like makes sense, it's not something that blows you away. I believe I'm going off memory. I read it this morning, Brett Bateman and Brooks Cable. No Cubs fan is going to freak out about losing Brett Brett Bateman and Brooks Kple. I don't think, Like I'm not saying they're not good prospects. They're perfectly fine prospects. Probably both get to the majors. I just don't think those are the that that's the type of move that where people are like, oh, that that's way too much, and that's what rentals cost. Like rentals don't cost a crazy amount. It's like, yeah, quality prospects, but not your top one hundred guys.
Speaker 2: Not guys that are like, you know.
Speaker 1: About to reach the top one hundred, unless it's Schooble, right, Like Schooble may cost a top one hundred guy, it's not going to cost multiple top one hundred guys like you would have a year ago. But that's that's just the likely thing. That's just how it works nowadays. Prospects are so so valuable nowadays. As far as other teams selling, I just don't. There's just not a lot patrick And like I think that the teams that I would watch are in that l and it's San Diego just to kind of see what they're doing. That's more I think, more relief pitching. I'd be looking at them for just see what the Nationals are doing. I don't know what direction they're gonna go. What a surprise they've been. And just one more that I think is worth watching, just because they're they were so hot and now they're so cold is Miami has lost eight in a row. I didn't realize they've lost eight in a row. They're still only a half game back in the wild Card, so they're not they're not obviously selling, and they may you know, and they're also a team that's like probably feels like similar to like the Athletics, where it's like they believe they have the base set to.
Speaker 2: Like compete soon.
Speaker 1: So maybe they don't want to, but we'll see, Like again, two weeks, a lot can happen here and and like that eight game losing streak matters a lot. But if someone goes on an eight game winning streak suddenly, like look at the Red Sox. We were talking about them as sellers and now they're the hottest team in baseball and and they're in the playoffs if they started today, So I think we a lot can change. We've seen this too, I mean, with six playoff teams in each league, we've seen this so much. I mean the Cubs did it themselves. However many years ago. That was now three years ago, I guess, yeah, and Jed brought that up. You know, at this time in twenty twenty three, they were looked at as sellers and they turned things around, got red hot, and nearly made the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we saw the Twins this past weekend at really not a particularly impressive team. Obviously, Joe Ryan is a very good pitcher who would fit the Cubs multiple timelines there as a guy who's not rental. But just the sense you're kind of getting is that the Twins don't really want to sell even if it's not like the clearest path of the playoffs or that you think they're going to win multiple playoff rounds. You know, Dan Hayes, our colleague here on the Feul Territory Network and at the Athletic that's just written repeatedly about how the ownership changes in terms of new investors and restructuring. At the top of the pole at Family Org chart means that like they want to be competitive, they want to give their fans a reason to to re engage or stay on top of the team. So that just sort of makes it harder. You know, the idea of like threading the needle. People love talking about talking about it, it's really hard to do. So wouldn't like get my hopes up for for Joe Ryan, but like, godswin could be a big deal. I mean, that's what I love the Cole Hammill's comp a guy you would trust starting a playoff game at Rieley Field or at Dodger Stadium, you know, wherever the case may be. I think that experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, we'll see what they can pull off. Joe Ryan had this disastrous start and still has amazing numbers, like you'd take them in a second, I think, But I agree. Right now, doesn't look like the twins are are going to be selling.
Speaker 2: But again, two weeks.
Speaker 1: We'll see what changes, what front offices want to do, how aggressive they want to be. The Cubs are hoping that the number of sellers rises because they you know, it becomes harder and harder to pry Pride players away, and you're competing with more more teams to try and get a single a single player. All right, we'll have plenty more to talk about. I think we're doing a mail bag for next episode, so make sure to check that out. Thanks so much for listening everyone, This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I on top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening everyone.
Speaker 2: Take care,