Speaker 1: Piece of the planet, Charlamagne the God here and as we come closer the closing out this year, I just want to say thank you for tuning into the Black Effect podcast Network. There have been so many great moments over the past year. Take a listen to some of those captivating moments in this special best of episode.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host Colleen Wit and today we have very very special guests, DC Young Fly What it do?
Speaker 3: What it do? I thought we was already recording. Oh that was crazy. You was putting on a twenty five minutes and I just knew it. I was like, what is good?
Speaker 4: I want none of that.
Speaker 5: She's gonna get used. Oh my lot, So what are you gonna have me intoday?
Speaker 6: You're kind of like, what's the what's the school they go to to go to be a shif?
Speaker 5: Culinary school?
Speaker 3: No, not color, it's culinary, but court on blue.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like to stage right before cut on blue, like show me it did?
Speaker 3: Like, Oh that's that? So you whip back? Did put it with the noodle? You caught it on blue?
Speaker 5: That motherfucker?
Speaker 3: But what kind of sauce will you get? I would have told you to get this sweet baby raid. But it's all good will.
Speaker 5: All this time, and you just not realizing the missing and creamy.
Speaker 3: No one I realized what we were doing. I forgot the extra. But now that I'm here, I'm like, damn, it is a little bit more to it. But this the man did.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what's the missing sauce?
Speaker 3: He said, Sweet baby Rain, what is it?
Speaker 5: Is that hot sauce sauce? Yeah, barbecue sauce. But wait, you add that to ramen you don't know.
Speaker 4: About, Sweet Baby Ray.
Speaker 5: Do you really add that to your ramen?
Speaker 3: You don't know about?
Speaker 5: Sweet baby No?
Speaker 7: I know every every listen, if you still eat hot sauce, you are technically as sleep. We have been past the hot sauce stage. That ship was with none of nine to the two thousand. When back that ass up came in, we own sweet Baby Ray.
Speaker 3: Okay, he got some motion. He got this sweet chilny. That really the one to eat.
Speaker 5: This Atlanta based or something.
Speaker 7: Sweet Baby Okay, sweet baby Nation ride as soon as you go on the barbecues.
Speaker 3: He got a whole six. It ain't just like like a little like shill. She would have got shell shell shill, come on down.
Speaker 2: Okay, you look at the whole hour, You're like, who this Sweet Baby Ray?
Speaker 8: They all him.
Speaker 3: No, you gotta add that on top of that. And sweet Baby Ray good with steak chicken, just.
Speaker 5: A good little you know what I'm saying, little little little additive. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You could put into whatever you got.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, I really wish I would have tried it with the sweet baby right now.
Speaker 5: You ain't never had sweet baby well, not with ramen and cookie show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, you will be the first guest to ever do ramen with hot dogs with Sweet Baby Ray.
Speaker 5: It would have been It would have been legendary.
Speaker 3: See sweet need to go on hand. They put me in the commercer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at this point, no cap the first thing come up. Ain't out a half sweet baby?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna show you what I'm gonna do with it though, here's a buttern.
Speaker 3: Y'all got beef. Let me show you something.
Speaker 5: We have beef and chicken. Don't worry about We're gonna mix it up.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get both.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you have enough water.
Speaker 3: We got no water.
Speaker 2: That's not big no that, I'm gonna stay out the kitchen so thoughtful.
Speaker 3: We don't need all that if we're gonna get it right. Beef, you can't even be next to I'm gonna chove it up. We got chopp like you gonna do this real beef cut at the head. Okay, then you got a butterfly. Oh you got a butterfly.
Speaker 9: Butterfly sticky in the middle, so we can burn in the middle. All right, to all my real noodle uh uh, pioneers out there.
Speaker 3: What's the first thing you do with the with the noodle? What you do with the noodle?
Speaker 5: You break it alight? Did you know did something before?
Speaker 10: Don't no matter?
Speaker 4: Eat long lass over.
Speaker 5: I don'tbody know how that puts a ship.
Speaker 4: We want to do to be right here, nigga.
Speaker 9: You seeing her here twisting it this shit and I just put ass on.
Speaker 4: Man, we want last noodle.
Speaker 5: Man. I never seen someone cut the hot dogs before the boiler.
Speaker 3: You gotta cut the hot dogs. You see the pet who you gotta save it?
Speaker 9: When you see it how full it is, You're like, Yeah, that's a lot of South.
Speaker 3: All the young kids know that South.
Speaker 2: You got to have you some South for they beef South, Yeah, which one better beef chicken chicken?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm an anti beefer and you know what I'm over here, trip.
Speaker 3: I can't eat chicken.
Speaker 5: It's just a I'm still up here about to kid myself. But this show, but there's no chicken in it. No, yeah, but I'm saying so to remove the flavors.
Speaker 9: So this really but no, but this has been like put to the side, being prepared like it was gonna be chicken.
Speaker 3: So we gotta throw like it was chicken.
Speaker 5: Okay, damn, why I'm gonna mix the sauce.
Speaker 4: I almost did it again.
Speaker 3: It's all good. You don't put that in there right out eye. That's that's what you calls. Okay, okay, all right, you're.
Speaker 9: Doing sometimes when you crush them up too much, you look stupid.
Speaker 3: And now they look like frosty flake. They just in the little noodle.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Then we're gonna talk these like in him like there's some oysters and you let that cool.
Speaker 5: Okay, So take me back to what was going on when you were eating ramen consistently. All right, let's focus on what for me.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'm gonna keep it very very very basic and I'm gonna do some spaghetti with the signature ground turkey that I.
Speaker 3: Grew up that my mom used to use signature.
Speaker 11: I mean, I guess everybody's ground turkey now, but we when I was growing up as a kid in Chicago, my mom she was you know, we didn't really eat a lot of beef and pork. So years ago, in the seventies, we ate turkey, ground turkey, turkey bacon. So that's why my love for turkey come from. So that's why I cook everything with not everything, but a lot. I do a lot of other things good. But see the streets.
Speaker 4: The streets.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, you're gonna have.
Speaker 4: The streets. What did you say?
Speaker 2: You screamed the streets, Jerry, I'm gonna say it now, legendary Jerry Clark scream streets.
Speaker 5: Are you married right now? I don't want to say that if you're married.
Speaker 4: I'm not married, streets. I was married before. I was married before.
Speaker 2: Okay, the streets got streets have anything to do with the possible ending?
Speaker 11: No, No, not that I'm a square. I'm a quiet square, real, a quiet square guy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna cook.
Speaker 2: I find that hard to believe you you're legendary and music exact, you work with all these Southern rappers.
Speaker 4: And yes, so what does that have to do with me being in the streets? Colon.
Speaker 2: By the end of the interview, I'm gonna we're gonna determine if you if you was for the streets or if you are a square.
Speaker 5: We shall see no.
Speaker 4: But you know what, technically you can be both.
Speaker 5: You could be that's someone that's from the streets.
Speaker 4: But say that you could beat both.
Speaker 11: Okay, but you look, I have not to cut you off and have some mom wheat noodles that I like to use.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I noticed that you were very particular. What's up with the wheat? I didn't even know they sold wheat until you said wheat?
Speaker 4: Come on calling you stop?
Speaker 5: I was like, ship, how do you tell? I literally looked at the noodles. I said, how do you tell? Which ones are weak?
Speaker 2: And then I saw some that look like wheat, and I saw some that said wheat, And I said, okay, there is such thing Colin.
Speaker 4: You had never heard of wheat noodles.
Speaker 5: I eat protein noodles. Have you heard of protein noodles? Exactly?
Speaker 4: Just like you got white bread, you got wheat bread. So it's anything you can.
Speaker 5: You know, what's your obsession with these wheats? They taste better?
Speaker 11: Nah, just like their little healthy And I'll eat some, mom, I'll eat some where do you tell I'll eat some Mom, I'll eat.
Speaker 4: Some white noodles?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yes, I will.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: And you took all that spaghettiod for two yeah?
Speaker 5: Can I die?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I look, I'm I'm I'm talking and cooking.
Speaker 4: And I'm not.
Speaker 11: I never usually do that, and I really don't cook a lot. Feel you should?
Speaker 4: I feel very special you should. Okay, so you definitely should.
Speaker 5: You cook it.
Speaker 2: Take me back to what was going on during this time of spaghetti noodles with ground turkey.
Speaker 4: I had a very simple upbringing. Uh.
Speaker 11: My parents were married before before my father passed in twenty sixteen, they were married for forty five years. So I had a good, solid upbringing. Uh, three siblings. I'm second in the pecking order, so I watched a family you know growing up. My mom was big into uh, well, my parents were big into you know, having dinner. No matter what we had, whether it was practice or you know, moving around, we had to have dinner, whether it was five ten minutes before we you know, every night. So all that to say, I I came up in a in a variant, I'm a p very appreciative of coming up in.
Speaker 4: A very stable, solid upbringing, cause I look at shit, now.
Speaker 5: Shit was it middle class or oh.
Speaker 12: No, we ain't had no money? Okay, we ain't had no money. Okay, we was in Chicago. We moved to Oxville, Tennese. For a quick minute, and then we moved down south. Well, we moved farther south to Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Okay, And.
Speaker 11: That was the best decision my parents could have ever made, because I loved this city. It was I you know, of course, being a black Mecca. I was able to go to high school here and just really grow okay and spread my wings. And here I am in this great city of Atlanta City here with you, Colaid, cooking some spaghetti with ground turkey.
Speaker 2: Did the economics change in your family when they moved to Atlanta?
Speaker 5: Also?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, now it did get better than in Chicago. We didn't have no money. Knoxville, we didn't have no money.
Speaker 11: But when we gave them Atlanta things, you know, got a lot better financially for my parents. So of course, you know that made a big difference.
Speaker 5: Were your parents in the industry in any capacity?
Speaker 11: No, No, but my uncle was, uh, the late Gray Stanley Bethel was. He was in the music business, and that was my first foray into the music business cause he used to take me to the different conventions, the Jack the Rapper conventions, br conventions, Impact, and I just fell in love with To be honest, I first fell in love with the glamory and the glitz of just being in the mix and being around him.
Speaker 4: He taught me a lot because he.
Speaker 11: Was in the industry for years, and he used to tell me, and I got to see it from myself that this fit is very fickle and phony, but you have to find something to keep you grounding.
Speaker 2: Lex And from poor minds is in the building. I'm really excited to have you both, and I'm more excited about what I'm about to eat.
Speaker 5: So what are you about to cook up?
Speaker 6: Okay, So today we're gonna be making some rowtail dip, which I feel like is like a staple in black family.
Speaker 9: It is.
Speaker 6: It really is, like we make it for the baby showers, football games, birthday parties, everything.
Speaker 12: Growing up.
Speaker 6: My mom used to always make these, my aunts, my uncles was at every family gathering.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've actually never had the rotail dip. Really really excited. I saw a bunch of cheese and guey stuff.
Speaker 5: Huh, and I was happy. I was happy. I'm with it. So what are all the ingredients in the rotail dip?
Speaker 10: So rotael is it's a cheese dip essentially, So you gotta have your velvey to cheese. You got your cream cheese. We have Italian sausage. You can use any kind of meat that you want to brown beef, but we.
Speaker 5: Use Italian and it's the Turkey Italian Italian sauce is.
Speaker 10: So we have onions, you know, whatever kind of dresses you like, So you kind of look at it as like a fancy kind of taco dip. So you really can throw whatever you want person in there. This is just what we like in ours.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like to use a few different cheeses. Some people just like to use just Belvita by itself. But I have cream cheese, Velveta and pepper jack cheese.
Speaker 5: Okay, see I don't know what that green pepper is called valpo. And then you have these what are these green ones?
Speaker 6: Green chili, green chilies and the tomatoes, and then that's tomatoes.
Speaker 5: Okay, are you cooking all of those ingredients? Yes, okay, well I'm gonna cook.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna actually like kind of well, I don't know. I'm probably not gonna saltate actually, but I'm just gonna put it all in once the cheese is melted.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm excited. So get to get to cook in even breakfast nothing.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's gonna.
Speaker 10: Be a good little line.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I'm gonna cook the meat first, so let me go ahead and turn this on.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, I played y'all because usually I try to preheat the heaters before you guys start, So it's like, I don't.
Speaker 10: Know, authentic the whole process. People being in the comments asking every little thing, well, what did you put this on?
Speaker 5: What is right? So now y'all can see they see it by stuff.
Speaker 10: It's on medium heat, y'all.
Speaker 6: So do we have any like butter or oil or cooking spray?
Speaker 5: You know what the most I have is that butter.
Speaker 3: Okay, this will works.
Speaker 5: It's so funny because I saw it and I said, they don't need butter.
Speaker 3: A little bit, just a little.
Speaker 10: Were from the South, we put we want the fattiest and everything.
Speaker 2: I live and die by butter. I go through like a stick every two days. Really, it's terrible.
Speaker 5: Did you ever go through a phase where you ate butter?
Speaker 2: My two year old is actively using butter like it's a snickers. Really, she like coming to kids and should be like butter. She dips your little fingers in it. She'll bite it like that's crazy. And then I'll see her and I have this face of like, and then she'll look at me.
Speaker 5: Like when I was younger.
Speaker 10: I got really really sick one day, and my mom and my sister they were so confused. And while I was sick, and then my mom went to the sink and she saw because I used to eat butter and rice together, you.
Speaker 5: Did, yes, And I had put like a whole stick of butter.
Speaker 10: And I was so sick. And she went to the sink and saw this bowl and it just had butter, this stick caked on the bottle. She's like, that's why your ass you can get from it. I mean, I guess because I ate so much. One city, like I just I was not feeling good.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I'm one of those parents like I give into everything my daughter does. So when she's like screaming for butter, I'm like, you know what, just handed to it, I'm like, you ain't nothing else. So but I never let my friends hear that, because my friends be always checking my parents and like, yo, she running you, And I'll be like, so I.
Speaker 10: Be handling your baby a stick of butter is crazy.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes I gotta do what I got, what you want, but I do it in silence.
Speaker 5: I've never confessed that to anyone. I'm sure, like, pick a butter in your purse? Just I really should?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 10: Nah, But I let her.
Speaker 5: I'll let her.
Speaker 2: I'll let her take off a little piece of butter, a little whatever is left, you know.
Speaker 5: But in my mind, you know, one of my other homegirls said that, I'm like, look, man, he don't eat nothing. At this point.
Speaker 2: If she wants donuts for breakfast, I'm with it, like calorie is a calorie because it's.
Speaker 10: Better than having right, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 6: I understand that it was a very peaky eater as a child, so I totally understand.
Speaker 3: But this is one of the things that I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was I was a skinny mini person, and I feel like this is God's way of punishing me.
Speaker 5: All the taxes my mom told.
Speaker 2: To try to get us to gain weight, and now I get to experience what it's like to watch your kid never eat. Yeah, but take me back to what was going on in the air of roadtel did.
Speaker 8: My parents came from Mexico and we always ate Metxican food every single day, and my mom was a homemaker. But when mom was in the kitchen cooking and we were hungry or would have you, we had to go to the fridge. She was left over what have you? But this right here is what we turned to. Like after school, we're hungry, can't wait till dinner? Is some cheap bread, the most non nutritious bread on the planet, white bread. There was a place called Weber's in San Fernando, and being with eleven kids my parents, it was like on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, they would sell the day old bread for ten cents a loaf, and they had bunches of it. So, for example, my mom would go with a buck a dollar and buy like ten loaves of bread. But that only lasts about a week. Yes, you got it, So we would buy Weber's Bread back then. I don't even know if they're still, you know, in business, but Wonder was the second choice, and then Skippy was. Luckily for us, we got to have a name brand peanut butter. I don't know why, because most everything in the house was the cheapest we could find.
Speaker 5: That's what my thea cereal.
Speaker 8: All invitation cereals. When the government was given the powdered milk and the government cheese. You never thought you would get tired of real cheese, but yeah, we got tired of it because they used to give it in big old blocks. But anyway, so here we are. But this is the one that is my favorite. This is something that my daughter made and it's a marmalade, a lemon marmalade. And my daughter cooks, and my mother's no longer with us. She was a homemaker. She cooked from scratch every day, and she actually would make a lot of things from scratch. She would in frascot you say it in Spanish. She would jar things, pickle this, and pickle that, and jar this. So she actually used to make some jelly once in a while. If we had all the ingredients, she'd get inspired. I'm gonna make some jelly strawberry what have you?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 5: Were any of your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just peanut butter and bread?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: I was nervous when Gabriella brought the big peanut butter and the wonderbread. I was like, oh my gosh, we're not gonna have jelly today. And then I was happy to see the jar of marmalade. I've never had this soul, not the peanut butter. I've never had the marmalade. So let's go ahead and start.
Speaker 5: Doing peanut butter and jelly, the og classic.
Speaker 8: All right, let's start with some bread.
Speaker 2: So I'm just curious, out of those eleven eleven of you guys, how many of you guys were boys?
Speaker 8: It was almost even as even as you can get. It was six girls, five boys. I'm the youngest. All the girls got all the brains and looks in the family, and us boys we had to kind of like deal with what we got. But no, I say that because I love my sisters. I love my brothers. But my sister used to help me with my math homework. I became an engineer, but back in those days. My sisters were born in the forties and fifties, so by the time they were graduating from high school, it was the sixties and society and even my parents went along with it, were convincing them that they should just get married and you get a husband who'll take care of you. My sisters could have all gone and got PhDs and things of that nature. So it really pains me to know that the person who helped me with my math helped me when I was struggling and I became an engineer, she didn't become an engineer and things like that.
Speaker 5: So your sisters essentially ended up.
Speaker 8: Well, no, look, they have a wonderful life. They have beautiful children, you know them and their husbands would go to work and they everybody was able to own a home on first generation. My generation is first generation college on both sides of my family. My mother and father are from Demastian Hali School Meeko, which is this little dirt town. When they were little boys and girls, there were no formal schools like we have here in the United States. When they got married, my father being twenty my mother being eighteen, they looked around and said, well, nothing's changed. If we want the next generation to have opportunities, we got to get out of here. So they came to California and then stayed here. You know, had us eleven kids until they passed away. So this is what we made for ourselves. My mom made a stack of homemade tortillas every single day, a big pot of beans every single day, made some fresh rice and something else. That was the traditional food in our household. It was a third dish. And then rice and beans and tortillas. That was a staple every day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And then was it like meat was the.
Speaker 8: Luxury of yes, exactly, that was the third dish. It was either some chicken or some.
Speaker 5: Ohated some kind.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well the thing is, let me clarify. We never lacked for what we needed in our home. Our mother and father, my mom stayed at home. That was the deal. They got married, high tailed it over here to California, and my mother and father made a deal that my mom mom wouldn't work outside the home, she would stay home and be a homemaker, and my dad would work work, work, and my dad, his average week was a six day work week. And so my mom was an amazing cook, thank god. But she made large quantities of everything every day. But what we're eating here is what we used to make for ourselves as kids.
Speaker 2: Eleven kids, though, is like she I don't even think even if she sort of even like, even if we were intoday's times, if she wanted to go to work. Eleven kids, is you need one parent to stay right?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 8: Today a big family is you know, three four kids, and that's more than a handful. And you know, I constantly speak respectfully of my parents because I remember growing up there were some people that when we're in the supermarket, you know, there's three or four trailing my mom and we're sitting at the checking stand, and I could understand English. My mom and dad understood very very little English, and I could I could hear the words of disrespect that they spoke of my mom, like, you know, talking in English to the other checker, like, oh, can you believe how many kids or what have you? You know, they probably can't even afford them, and stuff like that. But that's not true. We never lacked for food. My parents bought a home in nineteen fifty five and raised the soul in that home until they passed away. So yeah, I'm very very protective of the image that people have. Immigrants come to this country and they have a bunch of kids, and those kids are a bunch of good for nothings or a bunch of troublemakers. N uh Not. One of us eleven kids growing up in Pacoima, not the you know, it's a low income community, a lot of beautiful families there. Not one of us ever ended up in a gang. Not one of us ever ended up, you know, in the backseat of a police car. So you know, to my parents, you know, and one of.
Speaker 2: You guys ended up, Yeah, changing a lot for the community.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, yes, I say this one once in a while. I speak truthfully about if you asked my brothers and sisters when they were you know, when I was like eight ten years old, and you asked them right down on a piece of paper, where do you think Tony's gonna end up? They probably would have said some not mean things, but accurate things like, I don't know, he's a big trouble maker, you know, he's I had the hottest temper of all my brothers and sisters. I was the one you could light me as like a match. I was the one that would bawl my fist up before I would think about what I'm gonna say. So God is good because they gave me ten older brothers and sisters to help keep me in line, and I needed every single one of them. They gave me two parents who were as strict as can be, so had I not had the upbringing that I was given and afforded by two amazing parents who were strict, ten brothers and sisters were like, Oh, you can't do that. I can't let you do that problem.
Speaker 1: Once again, thank you for tuning into the Black Podcast Network. See you are two thousand, twenty f Buy from more great moments from your favorite podcast