Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: Good evening, everyone, It's midnight on a Thursday night. Once again, welcome to the interview podcast by Loud and Quiet Midnight Chats. This is number forty nine of our podcast, so thank you for downloading it. Maybe it's your first time, maybe you haven't listened to the previous forty eight. I've got a feeling due to tonight's guest that might be the case. We might be picking up some new listeners. Hopefully you won't be a one off listener. If that is you, please do check out our previous episodes. I feel like we've had some really good guests on recently, but throughout from the beginning, really we've been very lucky with the people that have wanted to come on our podcast. So yeah, if this is your first time here, please do check it out. You can subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher or any of the Android apps, and you can also listen to all of these on Loud and Quiet dot com as well. Loud and Quiet is our magazine that we make a music magazine that is completely independent and we attempt at least to cover new interesting artists from cover to cover. We also feature some more established artists, which include tonight's guest. Now I'm not going to just pretend that this is just some other guests. This is just another one for me, at least it really isn't. Johnny Marr is a man who I he's I mean, there's no other way to say. He's a very big hero of mine. And there aren't many people that I've wanted to meet more than Johnny Marr. And We've come close a few times on a few different things that Loud and Quiet in the magazine and a few different interview ideas we've had and it's just not happened. So to meet him to do the podcast was a real treat for me. And I hope that I don't embarrass myself in the conversation you're about to hear. I don't think I do. I think I managed to keep a lid on my excitement. Johnny made that very easy for me. He was as nice as I'd heard a lot of people. He's got a bit of a reputation for being a bloody good guy actually, and he really was not a preening rock star, which you know, he could very easily be just a very down to earth guy from Manchester who just also happens to have been in one of the most important indie bands all time, So I hope you enjoy it as much as I did doing it. We've also today released aur new issue of the magazine. The Dune issue of Loud and Quiet is in stores now, and Johnny's in the magazine as well, so if you are particularly a Johnny mar fan, please do pick up a copy of the magazine. The cover feature is with the Internet, but Johnny's in there talking about being a sixteen year old and what he remembers about being sixteen. You can pick up a copy of that from any of our stockists across the whole of the UK. A list of those are on loudon quiet dot com. You can also order a copy. If you're listening outside of the UK, or you can't get to your nearest store to pick up a copy, please do order a copy on our page there, and you can also subscribe to the magazine as well without further ado. Then it's a complete honor of mine to say that guest number forty nine on Midnight Chat by Loud and Quiet is Johnny Marr. I think it was the start of last year, we had Ryan Adams on this podcast who he's a big fan of yours, and at that time I was listening to Set the Boy Free. I was listened to the audio book version of it, and I thought, and because I knew he was a big fan, I thought, that's good. I've got that in my back pocket if this conversations going bad, because he can be a bit of a tricky customer sometimes, so I'd heard and I used it up quite quickly the whole I'm listening to Johnny Mar's autobiography.
Speaker 3: But it didn't go as well as I hoped.
Speaker 2: I thought we were going to then bond over this book, you know, but he actually just seemed to be quite annoyed at the fact that I was listening to it rather than reading it.
Speaker 4: Wow, well, I don't care, he was like, I'm not annoyed by it. Yeah, he was gone on him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it didn't count.
Speaker 4: I kind of offended his sensibilities and purity of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sweet, Yeah, it was quite nice in a way.
Speaker 2: He was sticking up for you and thinking, this guy's written this book, so like, how dare you just take this easy option?
Speaker 3: But I loved the book. I thought it was great. I flew through it.
Speaker 2: Was it as cathartic as people say or presume writing autobiography.
Speaker 4: Is, you know, I was once it had been done, I was sort of expecting some kind of catharsis and as almost as a payback, you know what I mean. You expect it because you hear about this great cathartic stuff that happens, and it didn't. Really the process was. It took me nine months to do it, which given that it's a proper book and my friends who've written similar books, I've taken two and a half years, and that's you know, that's not shirking it, or two years or whatever to do a similar kind of book. I was aware when I got to seven months in that I was really crunching it and getting really stuck in. You know, I was doing five six hours a day, and sometimes inspiration had strike and I'd worked really late at night, so I was pretty I was pretty burnt out by the time I finished it, to be honest, you know, nine months to write your life story and try and do it properly is quite a sort of compressed time. But I'd still be doing it now if I hadn't done it that way. So it was mind crunching, and it was a little like I'd imagine it was a little like working on a dissertation every day for nine months, pretty much every day, right, So it was that intensive. Things came up during the writing of it that without I don't want to make it sound more dramatic than it was, but some things actually, you know, made me feel immense joy and were very very easy in the telling of it. My days with Modest Mouse, or you know, hanging out with my mates in the record shops, stealing record covers. My mate Malku was this amazing shoplifter. Those kind of things I'd forgotten about, and as they came up, you know, I felt, oh, it's a really really warm feeling. But then there were other things that actually just pissed me off and made me kind of I carried around for a few days that kind of made me angry. I didn't realize my school. I'm not someone whose bangs on about how torturous my school was, and I actually thought in my school days, secondary school as a teenager would be really a bit of a breeze to write about. But when I started uncovering what that experience was like, you know, this kind of anger came out in me, that this sort of resentment that had really withheld or just forgotten about. Of course, you know, writing about the Smith's, the ending of the Smith's brought up some real sadness, you know, looking at it, not just because it's so important to people, and I realized that that was going to be the kind of thing that most people were interested in, but you know, looking at it from an adult, a much more mature person's advantage point that you know, that made me sad. Really, I didn't want to pour too much syrupy kind of emotion on it in the writing of it. I wanted to keep the book a consistent tone and not too much of a drag. But yeah, that you know, so that was a drag, but it was sad. But that's what happened during the writing of the book. And I think it's not like there's Catharsis going on. But I think I'm now in the process of post book, having literally written the chapters of my life and released it. I think I'm going through that now really, and we're you know right now that my new album, third solo album called The Comedy is coming out and I'm starting to realize that the autobiographical songs, they're not confessional by any means, because it's I find that a little much, But I think they're kind of a result of having written the book. I think, yeah, I'm sort of in the process of this record coming out now, I'm seeing that the new album was was it like a blank page? Really, I went into it with no preconceptions and no not really a certain definite agenda. And that's been really, really good for me. I think it's been really good for the record. I think it's made it's what's made this record, amongst other things, but it's made this record a step up from the other records. I think. I'm happy with the others book. What gives it its extra dimension is this that there's a new emotional quality in it, which I think I wouldn't have done and not written in the book. That's a quicker version.
Speaker 2: Because you kind of essentially packaged up, boxed up like your life from birth until you know, two years ago kind of thing and drawn some kind of line in the sand.
Speaker 3: But do you are you generally? Are you a nostalgic person anyway? Have you always been nostalgia.
Speaker 4: Not in the slightest. I am pathologically the opposite. I run a mile from any kind of nostalgia.
Speaker 3: I'm not surprised to hear that. I feel like.
Speaker 2: Not all musicians, but I think most musicians can't. An artist can't really afford to be nostalgic. I mean, it depends what type of musician you are, I guess, but if you're always wanting to create something new, do you know what?
Speaker 4: It's funny you should mention that, because I was thinking that pretty much the same thing only last week in that as about how I'm not a nostalgic person and how I was imagining how say visual artists like painters, particularly David Hotney, seems to come up quite a lot in my interviews, but I seem to cite him quite a lot. But I really admire the fact that he's in his eighties and he's still going forward, and he's still more importantly, still doing really good work. And I've got a couple of friends who are artists, once a sculpture and an other ones an artist, and I can't really imagine them finding much worth in looking back, other than to tell some tales out a dinner party or around in you know, in a bar or something like telling the odd Tale, but it actually informing your work, any nostalgia, and actually just even informing your kind of life. I don't see any point in it, I actually other than the retelling of a nice tale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose the problem is being Johnny Marr and having done all the things you've done, and I'm aware of the fact that I'm doing it right now. People kind of want to ask you about things that have happened, not not just like thinks, you know, like good You've got good tales. That's one of the great things about the book is there's so many good, kind of incidental little side notes and little stories and things.
Speaker 4: I understand, you know what. I understand that really because I'm a fan as well, so you know, as I'm a fan of you know, if I would love to hear lou Read telling some stories I didn't know about, not just a Velvet Underground, but maybe what happened money was doing Transformer or Burlin. I think maybe that might be the slight difference, so in that I don't want to hear just about the Velvet Underground. I quite like to hear about his journey as a person. But no, I think I'm alright with that. You know, as I've got older, I remember, you know occasionally when you'd read some old motown star putting out a record in the nineties or whatever, and they'd get really touchy with the journalists because they just want to talk about now and you think, I don't think, Oh, I don't really, I don't really want to turn into that. But I think the important part, and this is where it becomes quite subjective, is is, yeah, you've got to make music and be doing something that is, if not as interesting, at least interesting to talk about. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 4: So you've got to keep yourself not not current, but just interested in things, and but just be doing interesting work. Then I think, can I have an interesting sort of opinions and insights and then you can balance some of that old stuff. Yeah, because you don't just be something a bit cool about just trotting out the old war stories. That's the other thing about writing your book. You don't Once you've written a book, you don't have to bother your mates with these old war stories anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all in the book.
Speaker 4: You just say, look, read it, Yeah, heard it.
Speaker 2: Do you mind if I ask you one story in the book, That's what There was one sign anecdote that for some reason stuck with me, which is the story that you tell in it of giving this guitar that Pete Townsend had given to you to Noel Gallagher. Yeah, and he broke it. Yeah, and then you gate so then, but he was on tour somewhere. I might have this, I might have remembered this incorrectly. But Sea's on tour. You've given him this Lesbel guitar. Yeah, Pete Townsend go to you, he breaks it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, however in a fight on stage, okay, right, it's it, and Liam with it. No, he's it in one of the audiences.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, and he tells you. He calls you and says, I've broken that guitar. And then you sent him a lespuel that you used on The Queen's Dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wrote The Queen's Dead on it. And I know it's sober and a bunch of Really.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a very nice thing for you to do, as supposed to just say, well, I know why you Why have you done that to my guitar?
Speaker 4: I guess it was quite generous. He yeah, I know, I was drinking a lot back in the However, I'm gonna disclaim it. I've not ever regretted it. I've never regretted it. And Noel, you know, we both those guitars. There is guitars. You know, as far as I'm concerned, I gave him those guitars.
Speaker 3: He's still got them.
Speaker 4: He's still got them. Yeah. And when I played on an Oasis song in I don't know, two thousand and something, his guitar Teck, who was formerly my guitar Tech, handed me that guitar that I did on the Queen is Dead to do the solo on, which was a nice little symbolic kind of gesture. The thing about it is that, you know, he loves that he's got those guitars, and I was really happy to to do that for that reason, and also he really needed helping out back in the day. You know, they were really skinned and he was someone I really liked. I had no idea that Oasis, I mean who did. Yeah, no one had any idea that Oasis were going to one day play three nights at Wembley Stadium and be this enormous kind of phenomena. There could have just been some band who never got out of the board walk. I still would have gave him the guitar. I just liked him, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so who who's sending you guitars? Then in my mind there's like because no Gallagher I think does pretty well from other guitarist guitar I know, like Paul Weller sends him guitars.
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But is it just Nol's kind of getting them all or do you? In my mind there's this kind of club of you know, rock guitarists who trade things because anyone has anyone sent you one that.
Speaker 4: I've gifted quite a lot of guitars over the years, and it really means something to me. You know. Bernard Butler has got the twelve string that I used on that I used on Strange Ways and in eighty seven with the Smiths, and he really treasures that guitar because it's also a really good guitar, you know, And I know that I know that he he used that, and I just wanted to do that. When I met Bernard, I really respected him and I knew that he understood what I was doing back in the in the old days. It's a bit of a tradition. Really, it's it's a kind of there's a there's a thing amongst country musicians if you give someone their guitar, it's it's like the ultimate sign of respect, you know. And you know, I've I've owned quite a lot of the years. So but it's a very good question because I did notice for many a day who was giving me a guitar?
Speaker 3: Yeah, where's yours coming from?
Speaker 4: Well? Mine? Actually, the over the recent years, I've been sort of gifted a few nice guitars, you know. So The Edge sent me a guitar about a few years ago, just out of the blue, which is really really really nice. And and recently Ed O'Brien from Radiohead sent me his guitar.
Speaker 3: And do they come with notes on saying, just like kind I.
Speaker 4: Know they always coming with always coming notes. And no Rogers gave me, okay a guitar, which is which is fair enough because I gave him one, and Christy Hin gave me a guitar recently. This is all quite recently actually.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you'll get your you're cashing in now, you're getting them back now my pension. Yeah, there must be some that you have. There must be instruments that you have that you're almost kind of spinal tap about, like, oh, you can't even touch that one, let alone have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, there's a there's a very well known own read Gibson three five five that I used in the Smith's days, which actually wasn't right throughout the Smith's career, but there was a lot of quite well known photograph take and there's a famous one of me smoking a fag with opening the opening the guitar case, and the guitar is pretty much as big as I am. I was so tiny, and and that's got quite a good story to which I've you know, I've been asked to tell a few times about when Seymour Stein from Sire Records he bought that for me when the Smith signed Sir in nineteen eighty three, and that inspired Noel and then and it inspired Bernard Butler and stuff. So I'm very proud of I'm actually really proud of the fact it's inspired two guitar players that I really like mates. But that's you know, over the years, that's become like a a pretty treasured guitar. And I know Ryan Adams likes this red Port red Less Paul rather that I used to that I started using in nineteen eighty five, and he's got very good taste that because not a lot, not everyone picks up on that guitar. And it's a really really great guitar. I mean that is very very important. So like a lot of guitar players, I could would be here for hours. But yeah, there's a there's a few really important ones that I've kept.
Speaker 2: You were a great footballers as a kid and played you trialed at Man City.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, not in the forest as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, retrospectively, do you think you would have had the temperament to be a professional footballer? Would that have suited you if it had gone that way?
Speaker 4: No? No, you know I didn't even back then, to be honest with you, because when I when I played for City juniors and went for those trials and you know, people up my mum and dads and stuff. I mean I knew the jig was up because I was like so into not just playing the guitar, but you know I was. I was staying out all night, was staying up all night, you know, And you know I always joked about I was the only footballer with eyeliner on the pitch, which is true, but that was sort of symbolic of my kind of commitment to you know, I was just really getting in deep into the life of musician, you know, you know, I wanted to take drugs and and stay up all night writing songs. I mean, it was completely the opposite of what a fifteen year old boy should be focusing on if he's going to be any kind of a you know. It was just happened at the time when I was really discovering all of this stuff, so internally I knew like, oh man, I mean if you asked me a couple of years earlier, like now, academies and all of that, when they get you at eight nine, ten, might have been a little bit different. I mean, I'm such a musician. Yeah, you know, I'm such a musician. It's I can't really imagine it.
Speaker 2: It's hard to I I as a kid grow I grew up in Essex and football was life, you know, as a small boy. As everyone ever in my tower, it's all about football. And I loved football. I loved playing football and I do miss it. But what happened was I think I got into music and I only had enough room to obsess as much as I obsessed over music. I had one had to choose, you know, I felt like I had to choose.
Speaker 4: Like it's a full.
Speaker 2: Time job, hasn't it been? Even being a football fan is a full time job of knowing everything.
Speaker 4: What you might be talking about there is like I mean, in my case, it was very you know defined I am going to be a musician, and I mean I always wanted to be a musician from being a little child. But I am going to write. I was learning about how to put a band together, you know, finding mussal rooms. And it wasn't just about you know, staying up and taking drugs of like, okay, leave school. I have to leave school. You know. My older mates who are in bands, they're going in virgin records and looking for a bass player and all of that. Okay, I have to be like that. So it was all aspects of that. But I think what you're talking about really is commitment to almost commitment to a vocation. Yeah, you know when you in my case it was me musician, your case being a writer of getting your magazine together, and people have got all these different stories. When you get a clear inclination and a vision or a path at a young age of what you might be a to achieve or an obsession. Say it's it's not only is it very powerful, it's actually really quite unusual. And you're very, very lucky to have that, because we all know that most people don't really know what they did want to do until the twenty two, twenty seven or whatever. You fall into your your occupation from trial and error, and that's kind of the way it should be. But I it was so hell bent on doing what I now am doing it, and you know, it took a lot of work, you know, like I didn't know I was going to quote quote make it. You know, I just knew whether I made it or not, I just knew I was going to give it a go, and I really wanted to do it in spite of you know what people read about me being so self assured, and a lot of that was Bravardo frankly, you know, but I just had such a love of what was what I wanted to do. And I see it occasionally with other when I've seen it with other young people, it's very rare. Whether you want to be in clothes or fashion, or do makeup or be an artist, or whatever. I almost think it's really bad for you if you don't honor it. Yeah, I think it's psychically bad for you and spiritually bad for you. Whatever that means. You have to be better to be a starving writer or a starving artist than a working call center person emotional and mentally. You just got to do try and do what you love. So yeah, so football was a good idea, but you know, I was, I was really I was starting to kind of like get elbowed off the picture more ways.
Speaker 2: So the new album come the comment called the comment sorry is I mean, it's your first since the book. I was going to ask if the book affected a bit, but you've probably said that it has. It's got a very definite it's got a theme to it. It's not necessary. I mean, would you call it a concept record or.
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't call it a concept record, just simply because of the connotations of that phrase. Really, it conjures up kind of prog rock cuds us up a cover with wizards on it, and you know, stood on grassy Knolls, you know. But but I'm pleased to say that there are a few concepts that run through a quite a few of the songs or a concept that runs through quite a few of the songs, because I say, I'm pleased because I think I'm getting better as a writer, being able to execute songs with concepts. Really, I mean the concept being and that because I like to just instinctively sing about the outside world more than my inner feelings and thoughts, just because I think, you know, it's kind of a good thing to write songs about and the outside world. For the last couple of years, the one that I live in anyway, has been so affected by the political climate, specifically that I had to sing about an alternative kind of world because I to be you know, basic about it. I just didn't feel like those people deserve being in my head or my songs. The politicians are around at the moment, I just had enough of them. I thought, well, I have to kind of live with the consequences of you being in power. I'm not gonna I'm not going to have you in habit my record. And then that got me thinking about anyway, about how I was escaping into my life as a musician and an artist. But also it'd be quite good for what I remember that it's a good thing that rock music can be an escape for the listener too. And I don't know about anyone else, but it was almost something that i'd forgotten in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just that.
Speaker 4: Purely that escapism into you know, it doesn't have to be very fairy kind of nonsense, but it can be songs about sex, drugs, or rock and roll or whatever. And it was almost a sort of active defiance that when Brexit happened and Trump got in, et cetera, et cetera, I was thinking, you know what, man, I'm just really going to try to avoid writing about these fuckers. I really am.
Speaker 2: That's actually quite a powerful way of dealing with it, I feel, because it's funny how maybe ten years ago, the kind of criticism of music at that time seemed to be, oh, no one writes political songs anymore, that's right, And today, in the last year and a half, it feels like we're kind of getting to a point where where the opinion is more like, oh God, here's another political kind of song. Not not because that's not needed or valid it, but it kind of wears you down, isn't it. And I think we are now kind of swinging back towards the idea of thinking like, oh, let's just have a bit of escapism, and as you say, not give them, not give them the time, you know.
Speaker 3: In the energy and the energy.
Speaker 4: Because it's not like we're all walking around with you know, with our heads in the sounds like ostriches. You know, I'm not that person. I wouldn't be that irresponsible. I couldn't if I tried, you know, just ignore it. But yeah, it was just an I just was like, no, man, I'll be damned if I'm going to have you occupy my artistic mind as well as my sort of day to day living experience, and same with the audience. And I also thought that I'm very, very very fortunate to get up on the stage and sing and play the guitar and have people support that and have people's ear to do that, and that should be my job. You know, in this day and age, that's not a walk in the park. You have to songs don't just you know, fall out of the sky. You know some of them do, but you know, they don't just happen. You have to apply yourself and work out writing decent songs that your audience want to hear. So you know, it's not a doddle but I thought that should really be enough for the audience. If I get up and do for people, particularly for the people who are interested in what I do. If I get up there and play good guitar that they like and come up with decent songs and do good shows, that's my protest in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in terms of like the lyrics, this is your third solo album. Yeah, how easy for you is it writing lyrics? I know, like, obviously playing the guitar is something that really nut comes naturally to you on that actually, do you feel that playing the guitar is a natural gift in the sense that I'm always interested to know if, like, can people learn it to the extent I think I personally think you can learn the guitar a bit or a piano or anything. Anyone can learn it. Yeah, But there is a difference between learning it and mimicking it and actually being this kind of feeling seeing a guitarist and you think, oh, that's like that gift, that's what they're That sounds a bit like Hammy and Hippie. But when you see Jimmy Hendrix playing guitar, yeah, you know that. However much anyone else tries to do that. They can't do that, that's just in him kind of thing. Do you feel the same, Do you feel that with the guitar with you, like it was just in you to be able to play the guitar that way?
Speaker 4: You know, you know, false modesty aside. I do, because I'll tell you why, Because there's been there's times in my life when I can be quite cavalier about it even, you know, and I try not to do that so much. The fact that I started off so early as a kid, and I'm not I'm not like this crazy wizzy technical player, but what I do comes very easy to me, you know, and it helps being completely obsessed about the instrument and obsessed about playing it. But it does come really naturally to me, you know, And it came naturally to me when I was starting out the basic obvious things when you're seven or eight, trying to hold down on a really crappy acoustic whold chords down, which is physically very difficult, and it hurting your fingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and indenting your fingers and for the first time, yeah.
Speaker 4: All of that stuff that people know trying to learn the guitar, all that happened to me. But I completely. So it happened, but I ignored it. I was like, well, you know, this will go away in two weeks because this hurdle was tiny. The joy that I was getting from just plunking away and was so much greater than any kind of you know, discomfort. And in a way I almost hadn't there. You know, it's kind of sound ridiculous, but when I was getting the calousis on my fingers, they were like my battle scars in a way. Really I loved it. Yeah, and other people know what I'm talking about there, And I loved all those hours of putting it that I put into it. So playing the guitar was always came really easy. When you're that interested in something, it's quite easy.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: And how about the lyrics then, now that now that that's you as well? Yeah, and especially having been in a you know, a group with such a lyricist as Morris it, Yeah, I mean do you do you do you find it easy to writing lyrics anyway? And do you feel any pressure from the groups you've been in where the lyrics have been of a kind of insane.
Speaker 4: Some are easy, some are difficult, some are really difficult because you have to really get into crafting them. So it's a lot of work and the but you know, the pressure that I feel for writing lyrics is comes entirely from the apprenticeship, is the best way of putting it. That I add as a fourteen and fifteen year old around some adults and older kids who were very discerning, so that let's say, quality control if you like, went into me. Then fourteen fifteen, it didn't go into me because because I was in the Smiths, I understand what you're saying, and Morrissey particularly being very revered, it hasn't played into it doesn't affect. In other words, I'm when I write lyrics, I'm not going does this measure up to the Smiths? I'm kind of going, does this measure up to the person I was what I twigged at fourteen fifteen about decent writing. That's gone with me all the way through the Smiths, through the other Neil Tennant, Isaac Brock, modest Mouse, Everyone've worked with, whether it's Beck or Neil Finn on and on, all these different people I have worked with. That journey started at fourteen fifteen when I was like, oh right, okay, Lou Reed's really really good and Ray Davis is really good and started measuring that up, and I iced to measure Morrissey up against that, right, And I used to really love David Bowie's more surreal early seventies lyrics and the kind of androgynists and surreal ones driving Saturday and you know, are you Pretty Things and all and kooks and just all of that Onnky Dory, ziggy lad insane period and that criteria if you like, and that bar is It's something that's been set over all of my life. Really, Debbie Harry. I think he's a really great lyricist of kind of pop and new wave music. And so if I'm competing with anyone and competing with all of that.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you work with a band and you have a band.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still, but it is different, isn't it? Being releasing records as Johnny Marr as a solo artist.
Speaker 3: How are you enjoying it? Just generally?
Speaker 4: Well, today, as we speak, it's the release of my first single, which is called high Hello. And because I was such absolutely not at eight or nine about seven inch singles, I just thought they were the greatest thing in the world. I thought they were better and football. I thought they were better, and I mean, I love clothes, I love football, and I was even really loved girls in that young age, and I loved a lot of things, but a record and what it did was really up there, really really up there, which is why fans will know. I've got this forty five tattoo on my arm right And so days like today when my single, I still think of it as a single and it will exist on seven inches. I mean, I'm not like some old retro daddy kind of vibe, but you know, but it's not a retro thing. It's more like it's the release of my lead single from the record. I can't wipe out all that forty odd years of love and this thing that's been in my life, so being you know, so putting out a Johnny Marr single, and I really like the single as well, is a you've asked me a good time because it's you know today, it feels really really good. So I'm really enjoying it. It's a very rewarding thing. Fans are hearing it for the first time. One of the upside of social media is that you get that absolute reaction. Particularly it's a good reaction. Yeah, yeah, straight away, you know, from fans, so you know that they're hearing this record, so that that never diminishes for me. I think it's really exciting. Other aspects of it. You know, running a band is not only takes a lot of energy, it's very very costly, and it's a it's it's you know, it's I want to say it's a business because it's a lot more than a business, but it is a business and you have to get out there and you know, you have to get out and roll your sleeves up and do it. It's you know, being the boss of on the road. It's not enormous, but I have no twelve fourteen to fifteen people and that brings a sort of kind of pressure. But I'm always going to be doing it anyway, so I might as well be trying to, like, you know, employ people while go while I do it.
Speaker 2: Sure, I think I probably know the answer to this. But would you consider playing back in another band?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I might actually, Yeah, Yeah, that's been yeah, my I mean I love my my band and I love what I'm doing. But Neil Finn recently joined Fleetwood. Yeah what's that about that? Neil's my mate and I was like, I was trying to imagine that conversation, and I was like, well, first off, well done fleet with Matt. Yeah, because I know some people are a little like I'm not really seeing that, but I mean, it's a no brainer for Fleetwood, Matt, because Neil's like a great singer and a great guitar player and a great writer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if Lindsay Buckingham is not going to go in it, you could do a lot worse and have Neil Finn in your band.
Speaker 3: Would you have taken the Fleetwood Mac gig?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have suited my my thing. I don't know what band I joined. For years now, I've been saying I'm sort of done with being in other people's bands. I'm really done with it. But you know I was. I was tempted to rejoin the Sure great and a play, very very tempted. But you know, both Matt and I know that you know he wouldn't well, he wouldn't want to get in the way of me making my own records if that's what I love at the moment. So yeah, but that was a real temptation. I always say that modest Mouse still really tempt me to go back there.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, do they ever?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think the doors do they ever? Was kind of a job?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, right, yeah, it's there when you need it. I remember when you joined the Cribs in two thousand and eight. Yeah, And I mean, I don't know if you if social media was around then, I'm sure, and you know, the feeling of things, I'm sure get back to people however, but for me, it felt like a lot of people kind of didn't really get why you were doing it. Yeah, and to the extent that some were kind of a bit like annoyed.
Speaker 3: I kind of understood that.
Speaker 2: I think people thought, like, this is Johnny Marr, Why why is he doing I don't think they could have grasped the fact that Johnny Marr, everything you've done, everything you've achieved, legendary guitarists, all of these things, and you're kind of going to go out on the road with the Cribs, who at that time were playing kind of you know, medium sized venues, but it was back on the kind of circuit and stuff. I suppose the thing that I think that it showed or took from it, I guess was that you're asked still someone who just wants to play music essentially. And also it kind of gave me this impression that you are kind of void of ego because a lot of people. I think the reason people were surprised was because most people wouldn't do that. They would be like, oh, I'm done all that and and kind of feel like they are above being in a band, Like you know, Nil Finn joining Fleetwood Mac. That's a no brainer there.
Speaker 3: On a par aren't they.
Speaker 2: But you're a Smith's guitarist and suddenly you're playing in the cribs. Is it like that that idea of like you being kind of egoless in that in that way?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Does that ring true in a way?
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's an interesting that because one of the things about writing the book that happened as I was writing it I didn't realize going into it was that being able to explain my motivation for being in Modest Mouse and being in the cribs and how it happens was the book was a really good opportunity for people to understand my process there, because from the outside, why would you understand those sort of kind of things. But one aspect of this, right is that that people probably wouldn't get is that when So in both cases with Modest Mouse and the Cribs, so I get together to do some tracks, right, which is you know, And in the case of the Cribs, it was Ryan said to me, let's do a record like a single I think he made at forty five and like an EP right Cribs and Johnny, and I thought, well that would be I could see that that's a good thing. Within minutes, I thought, yeah, out of forty five would be kind of cool. Right. So, I, from being a kid, like to be a little bit prepared, so I never go into a kind of writing thing without anything really, you know, collaborating with someone else. That is, I always have to have a few riffs. That's been in me since been about fifteen, since I went up. We used to because I used to as a kid. I got so sick of people ask him how to go and jam with him, and I'd go in there and everyone's looking at each other like what we're going to play? Stoned like just playing an e chord for twenty minutes, and I was like, this is so boring. So I from even back in those days, I was like, Okay, we'll do a bit of homework and have a couple of ideas when you go in there. So I had a couple of riffs when I went over to Portland to play with Modest Mouse, and then when I started with the Cribs, We're like, okay, well we'll do this. Let's see where we go with this. We'll do this EP. And I had a couple of these rifts, right, So we started playing, we set up our gain, we started playing, and these songs came out really quickly. It's like, okay, now again from being fourteen fifteen, this apprenticeship that bad, I go, well, this isn't really that usual that they happen so quickly, and they're really rocking. Okay, I know when chemistry is good. Right, So, oh right, we'll come back and what we're going to do tomorrow, Let's see what happens. So we do some more. So we just got on a roll with me in the Cribs. So after about five days we had about six seven instrumental great pieces of music. So like wow, wow, okay, well let's just make an album's worth. Similar kind of story happened with Modest Mouse, right, And so then what happens is you go because we're all record freaks. And this is the bit that people who are outside of what I do particularly anyway, won't get. All of us were egolests at that point, because we all go this, let's make a record. We kind of in the background, the cribs now hung on. We're bringing Johnny Marain to our band, and I go, I'm being in the cribs now the outside world, but that's only a little bit of your consideration. Your altruistic, genuine musician ship just takes over and goes, this is happening. Let's just carry on. So then what happens is you're arranged to make a record, and all right, the outside world and the radio and journalist might be talking to you about it. So this is what i'ms in my mind. Anyway, I get really attached to the music. I obsessed about it. I think all that middle ages round we need to change the key, or I think the singing needs to or we need we should the intro isn't right. That then takes over my life, and it's been that way from being a kid. I'm swimming in these songs that I have to finish. I don't care what you know, what it looks like on Jiles Holland or what. I don't care about that. So I'm like, this work has to reach fruished. So I make a record, and then by what's happened. By the time you make a record, you've been playing together for a few months, you go out to la or Portland or whatever, you go through intense pressure. It's not right we have to recut that the drummer's broken his arm. You go through this real bonding that if you were to bail, it would just be weird. Yeah, because you've sort of it's like being in the army or something, or on the rigs. You've become this it's more about it's actually the opposite of what people think. It's it's the opposite of flitting around. You become really loyal friends. Yeah, so you kind of So if I were to turn out of mod't Mouse and say, you know, this thing we've slaved over for a year and that we've really crunched down and all that, well, by I'm off.
Speaker 3: Now I've just realized I'm Johnny mar I'm.
Speaker 4: Above this or whatever, it would just be rude. And it also, you know, all the people we've mentioned I really respect you know, I really respect him and just to you know, complete the picture. In the case of the Cribs, for instance, I really respected them as a modern what I say, I call a street band, say in the before I even knew them, I regarded them as being in a lineage of Buzzcox, you know British bands X Ray Spex Smith's. I know Smeths have gone on to have a massive legacy, but good street punk rock band and I know how to do that. And I thought, all right, I want to experience being in the modern version. I want to know the reality. It would be good for me as a musician in a way. It's a little bit like a stand up getting back and getting in front of crowds and clubs and stuff. And I just thought they were they were great, and I really loved the Garmans. I loved the family and I thought they were these are the best modern British band around and I'm going to have invited me to be in it. So I'm going to join this band, and I'm going to be in it and get back in touch with what it's like being in a in a young, happening band. So that's what that's the way I think, really, yeah, I'm not very careery despite what people may think.
Speaker 2: Well, by having that attitude is how you've ended up kind of. It's the reason why we can sit here and not just talk about the Smiths and get your old war stories that are now in your book. Is the reason why your your book has more to it. Then flick to the pages of the Smiths and then and then it's going to trail off, you know, and in that in that time, you you know, you went straight from straight from the Smiths to working with talking heads, as we've mentioned, pet shop boys, Bernard some with electronic, Matt Johnson with the the The list kind of goes on and on. But there's one name. I was looking at your Wikipedia page yesterday because I'm a great journalist, and that's where we get all that facts. A Girl's Allowed song. You played on A Girl's Alloud song? Yeah, on their final album.
Speaker 4: I think I played on two, did you Yeah?
Speaker 2: The one that the one that I wrote down was called roll back the Rivers in time.
Speaker 4: Maybe I just played on that one.
Speaker 3: I don't know, from out of control?
Speaker 4: Why why not?
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna say why.
Speaker 2: I was going to say why, but not just why I was going to say, I imagine you get offered a lot of kind of jobs for one of a better word, a lot of kind of writing gigs, and and that can be from anything from something like the Cribs, but also to like you know, pop stars and songwriting and you know, ghost writing and all that.
Speaker 3: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: What was it about Girls Allowed or that or that offer that you were like, yeah, I'll do that, I'll take that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's a kind of I wish it was a better story, but uh, pet Shop I was working on a pet Shop Boys album and their producer was working simultaneously on this Girl's Allowed stuff. And I'd made the comment that a couple of their records have got really good guitar parts on which they do, and.
Speaker 2: He sounders the Underground's got that.
Speaker 4: That, and then there's another one that's got like a really great acoustic thing on it. So I think that's a fair comment. I love pop music. I won't say I'm a fan of Girls Allowed, but I made that comment, and I think he saw that as an open door really, and so we said, look tomorrow, before you start with Neil and Chris, will you play on these tracks? And do you know what, I'm just a great joiner in her had I mean I might have, I probably would have like not done that. I would have you know, I thought about legacy and all that, I probably would not have done it. There's a part of me as well which is so perverse that I quite fancied it. You know, I've got such a stick from certain parts of the music press when I left the Smiths that there's a sort of irking and you know, people think I'm a nice guy and stuff, probably, but irking some people, particularly the indie militia. I can't sometimes it's just so there's such a delicious opportunity, and it's not You're not going to get much better opportunity than to pissing the indie militia off than to play on a girl's aloud track. So I thought, all right, fuck it, I'll just do it. No, no one's going to know.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chats is a Loud and Quiet podcast. Music courtesy of gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit Loud and Quiet dot com.