Speaker 1: It's for today. Javon Hargrave triceps, will not practice on debo, calf won't practice. The Winners ankle won't practice. Trent Williams is sick, won't practice. George Kittle hamstring limited.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, rock parties, We'll go yep, okay. Update from Christian on his trip.
Speaker 3: Did he was it helpful?
Speaker 2: I'm not die No update. I'm gonna talk to him. Is there a chance he won't pay? Not that I know of.
Speaker 4: You're a big fan of analytics. There's sometimes an analytic out there about separation win rate for receivers, and Brandon a.
Speaker 5: Yuk is at the top of that list.
Speaker 6: I'm just wondering whether you're sort of saying the same thing that he is separating like he's.
Speaker 4: Done in the past.
Speaker 2: You're saying Tap is in separating a lot. Yeah, yeah, definitely think he is. And you're saying the analytics matches that, Oh yeah, I do. We played a lot of zone coverage here in the last couple of weeks. Usually when it's zone and there's not many people around, the guys, they're just people underneath. It's about throwing over people, and he's done a good job in man covers too.
Speaker 6: How do you think it's going defensively obvious? The stats aren't there. You mentioned guys are getting getting open deep. We asked you that is there something structurally that's going wrong here or how what do.
Speaker 4: You just how do you circle what's been happening on you?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think all three levels have had an issue at times. I think that we played good at times too. I didn't say a lot of guys are getting deep on us. Yeah, both of them. You know, it's been twice in three games, which were big ones, but when you have the p i's, those are two bigger penalties too. But two guys have gone by our defense. One just kind of sleeping a little bit and the other one I think was basically only five hundred and bombing it and had him in double coverage and the guy made a hell of a play. But nothing structurally wrong with that. But two players that you would love to have back. But I just think, you know, we've had some new guys in there. We've had moments where we've been strong, but we're not playing up to how we usually do, and we've got to make sure to get back to playing that way.
Speaker 6: Brand and Stately's role been in these first few games, and could you see this evolving as the season.
Speaker 2: Goes, evolving in what his no he does. He works like all the other coaches do, and he's the same as all the other coaches. He's not here to do anything extra than that. That's our t're asking.
Speaker 5: For so long, you guys, you relied on the front four to generate most of your pass rushes without Javon.
Speaker 2: Now especially, do you feel like you have enough there to do that or will you do you see maybe adjustments? I mean, you got to have plans for that, like and we do when Javon's here. I mean, you would love to always get there with front four, that's the goal. Having getting there with four and having seven guys in coverage makes it a lot harder for the offense. But if you can't do that, you got to mix it up. We mixed it up throughout the year. I thought our d line last week affected the quarterback the most that they had in their three games. I thought that they had one of their better games. But it's a huge loss losing Javon. Guys gonna have to step it up. And when you don't have the rush, then you got to turn other things schrammatically.
Speaker 3: What does Mayo's defense look like? What's that challenge going to be this week?
Speaker 2: It's I mean it looks very similar to how it's always looked into England. I mean there are multiple looks, multiple fronts. They play the run very physically. I mean I think their top five this year and last year I think they were top two. So the way they stop it with their front seven, the way their front players two gap, how good their safeties are in tackling, and when they do play man coverage, where they do quite a bit, you know their secondary is as good as there is added.
Speaker 4: You described in great detail Monday about that lasted coverage. Is there another time in the day for you and the offense to go through all the scenarios on any given play, not only what their defense what to do against a particular defense, but what to do if there is a bust and how they bust it.
Speaker 2: That makes no sense. I'm sorry. You don't go through when people mess up what to do. That's off schedule is what people call it. And when it happens, you hope people see it. But you don't sit there and make up stuff all week and go through it. Hey, if I make this up, I want to prepare you for what you need to make up at the time. So that would be something that no one would ever would do.
Speaker 4: But you did the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have general rules in place for.
Speaker 4: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when no one's there, Like just if they had ten people on the field and no one lined up over the receiver. You know, we don't want him to just sit there and run a slant. I hope he puts his hand up and runs a go route, so he walks into the end zone, and I hope the quarterbacks look in that way and sees it and be the same thing. When a corner supposed to play deep half and he sits at the line of scrimmage and they have two people and you're going to run your out and no one's there, you look up and do the same thing. But that's something that happens in football. A lot happens throughout the games. And that was a big one because it happened at the end, but we just didn't fall into it the right way.
Speaker 5: I feel an off schedule plays and that you would develop.
Speaker 2: In training camp and that no the other ten plays that Brocks scrambled on and did those are off schedule plays like that we did throughout the game, but once you guys are getting at at a bus to coverage is just as sorry but way off, like it's that's not really part of something that's it's off schedule plays that you know. I think Brock's done a really good job of finding those guys. He didn't find them there.
Speaker 6: Well said that maybe Jacob Kellen is getting ready to get in some at shit.
Speaker 4: Maybe time to see some of the things he can do.
Speaker 6: Was that sort of the plan you have generally, Okay, let's get a younger player into the game, and then why didn't.
Speaker 2: Happen because it wasn't the plan that there would be an injury? Would have but he wasn't ready to do that yet, and so we kept him that pum returner. But you have five guys up, so if someone did get hurt, he had to be ready and then he would have got those reps. We'll see this week. Nothing's happened here in the last few days. We got practice today and we'll see how he does.
Speaker 5: I hope. So in any sense of where Ricky is psychologically emotionally and whether he would be a viable possibility to play after this week.
Speaker 2: I'm not exactly sure the timeline, but I know he's been a lot healthier. Seems great when I talked to him, But that's something you could ask him.
Speaker 1: What are you emphasizing with the special team units this week and they're going to pay closer attention to him?
Speaker 2: I mean, I got a lot of confidence in Brian. I mean, you know, he's sick about some of these plays that have happened here this last couple of weeks. We're just trying to be on every detail, like you know, like we try to every week. But yeah, we can't have these two mistakes. You know, I thought we were in a bad and I didn't think we had the right look on the fake punt. But as far as with the block pun and stuff, it's just going back to technique, coaching guys up on that better, who you know who are in that for the first time, and making sure they could continue to get better so it doesn't happen again.
Speaker 4: Do you sleep a little bit easier this week knowing Bill Belichick isn't on the opposing sideline with the Patriots are here.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't really think about that stuff much. Just watching them on tape, they look like a real good team and I know we're gonna have a huge challenge for.
Speaker 6: Us, really, O Kyla use check is a big part of your offense, But what does he bring that maybe we don't see?
Speaker 2: Just the threat of a fullback out there all the time? You know, we're in a lot of eleven formations, so people like to go nickel defense to defend one back formations. But when you have a fullback on the field at anytime, there's a threat of eye formation, so defense have to count for that. And there's some things that you do on one back that aren't very sound verse two backs, So sometimes they could limit the looks we get and things like that.
Speaker 3: Analysts and dis goes for mob players, Analysts that you know, can the Niners right the ship and kind of survive with all the injuries that you have right now? I just want to know, like, what are you kind of talking to the team about it. Is that overall arching feeling between the guys that can we survive with all of these injuries? Or are you.
Speaker 2: Guys kind of I mean, every time we have injuries, everyone knows that makes it tougher but people have injuries throughout the league, and you got to be able to overcome those, you know. I felt we had every chance to win on Sunday despite some of her and and just despite some of our injuries. So uh, I felt we should have been to and one, but we found a way to lose that, which is completely on us. And when you lose games that you believe you should have won, it makes it that much harder. Injuries are no injuries, So I don't look into that or really why we lost. Uh. We had every opportunity to win that, and we made some mistakes that cost us, And that's what I hope you learned from not thinking about who we were missing. I thought we did some things that was good enough to win, but doing things that just good enough to win doesn't always guarantee you when and you got to make sure you do it all the way to the end. And sometimes it's who can do right longer. And we didn't finish that to the end. And I don't think that has anything to do with injuries.
Speaker 5: Defense and murder.
Speaker 2: Jon's injury kind of fall into that.
Speaker 5: You need to step up on the side.
Speaker 2: It makes it tougher. I mean when you have four inside guys up, you know, on your roster, and then you go down to three, it always makes it tougher to stop the run. But we got guys on practice squad that we need. We'll see how that works out as this week goes. And you got to think of other fronts too, and stuff that we got to do at times. So a lot of stuff plays into that. And you know, jay Von, whether it's run game more pass game, it makes it harder.
Speaker 5: Two weeks in a row. You guys got burned by verticals. When you watch the film some of the penalties when you watch a film, are there any common denominators that you can point to as why you guys are giving up the verticals?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one was a post and they got and we got to stand top, you know, our quarter. They got us in quarters where the quarter safety has underneath thing and the corner's got to stand top, and uh, he did it. So they got by us and Stafford's got a hell of our arm and aired it out on the next one is what I said earlier. You know, we had double coverage on a really good player and they just bombed it and he made a good play. So I mean I think I answered that earlier. I don't think you ever said the question of mind doesn't make sense? What I don't think you've ever told me a question doesn't I'm trying. I'm trying to figure out what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: A buster question or are we supposed to just run over there? That bron had ten runs.
Speaker 2: I realized two of those quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: But is that?
Speaker 2: I mean, he usually doesn't scramble that much.
Speaker 4: Is that probably a couple of.
Speaker 5: Reasons for it.
Speaker 6: But is it partly a function of him not having all of his guys normal guys out there?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's I think you got a lot of three man rushes. When you have a three man rush, usually that's the number one thing. You stay in the pocket and try to buy time, and once they eventually get you out of the pocket, you know, you have eight guys looking at you, and you break to get someone to come up to open people up, and if they stay in coverage, then you take what you can get. A couple of times, you know, he jumped the cadence a couple of times and you had to just get up in there and break out. But I think you know, with the number being so high. I think it had to do with a few quarterback sneaks and a number of three man rushes, and then the typical three times that it happens the other place. All I guess