Speaker 1: What's up my loves.
Speaker 2: Speaking of loves, I have my love back to co host or I guess not really co host, but host.
Speaker 3: Don't I own this show with you?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's give them Lala, we Thrandall and we are super hyped for a couple of reasons. First off, we have Heather McDonald's on the podcast today.
Speaker 3: She was a friend of our.
Speaker 4: Well, I just want to say, who's a friend of ours, but also someone we both look up to. Heather McDonald's one of the greatest comedians out there today. She's unbelievable. She was on Chelsea Handler for seven years and then she went on to just create her own powerhouse of a world.
Speaker 3: And she's a.
Speaker 4: Best selling author. She's a podcaster, she's a live.
Speaker 2: Stand up one of the funniest people that I've ever come in contact with. Like, when I'm with her, I just want to listen to her talk because every story is hilarious.
Speaker 3: Good, right, I want to set you up here, set me up.
Speaker 4: We have a gigantic announcement. It's as big as it gets. I think it's I think it's like front page headline for US.
Speaker 3: Laala is going to tell you all that we have something huge to announce.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, give them Lalla with Randall is going on motherfucking tour.
Speaker 3: I mean real tour, not.
Speaker 2: A pretend tour, a real life, we will see you in person tour.
Speaker 4: So I just want to tell everybody and then Laala will get into the rest that tickets are going to go on sale. Please write this down because the only thing that matters. Tickets are going on sale this Friday at ten am.
Speaker 3: So that means everybody. If you want to come to the Give them.
Speaker 4: Laala dot dot dot with Randall Tour, you have to buy your tickets Friday or over the weekend starting at ten am.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and tell the details.
Speaker 2: We are going to be hitting up Dallas, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater, Orlando, and Georgia.
Speaker 1: Go to our.
Speaker 2: Instagram pages immediately to check out when we will be in your city or a city near you. This is going to be so lit. Let's like take out the fact that we've been cooped up for over a year. I just think it's going to be entertaining and funn as shit.
Speaker 4: How about how about we've been in COVID for a year and almost almost a year and a half and the fact that we get to go live.
Speaker 3: Everybody gets to come out of our house.
Speaker 1: That's literally what I just said.
Speaker 3: I'm repeating it in a much.
Speaker 1: More exciting way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, get to come out of our house, come to the theater. You know, Interact have just been an epic time and I just want to say that this is something that we've wanted to do for a long time.
Speaker 4: We cannot wait to meet everybody you, especially because you have a lot of fans. I'm excited if just to meet my five or six fans, you are excited to meet your five hundred and fifty fans, And this is just going to be an epic night.
Speaker 2: Well, the show is obviously going to consist of a lot of Randall and la la banter. I think it's like the perfect I like to call it a girl's night out, but let's be honest. I know all of you out there who have boyfriends or husbands that sit there and they're like, why do you watch this show?
Speaker 1: And then you turn around.
Speaker 2: And they're like sitting there watching the entire show with you, meaning Vanner Pump Rules. So lord knows, this show is going to be for everybody, even though I know that my girls who know how to you know, fuck shit up, are gonna be there because it's going to be like, We're obviously going to have some great drinks. We're going to have an incredible format for the show.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have behind the scenes stories, correct interactive games. We're gonna have segments, We're gonna have audience participation, We're gonna have all types of thing.
Speaker 4: It's a wild night out you've been dreaming about. And I just want to say, tickets again, go on sale because Lawa doesn't like to promote this part when I get to details. Tickets go on sale Friday at ten am. You could buy your tickets at give them live dot com, Give them live dot Com. There's also a very limited number of VIP meet and Greek packages. Yes, and we are not the kind of meet and Greek that you like. Come in and it's like, how are you tell them what.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do?
Speaker 2: No, I want to like, I want to drop it to you, about it all, ask me whatever. I want to spill the tea. I want to get to know you. I want to take pictures. I want to post you on my Instagram. I want to throw you a tag plus plus we will have special guests at each city weekends.
Speaker 3: We're gonna tell you already we've already asked. I'm dropping it.
Speaker 4: We have already asked DJ James Kennedy to be our one of our special guests DJs. So we're gonna have him with us for a couple of shows. And we're very excited that.
Speaker 2: I'm the most excited for me because I'm so excited I can't even talk.
Speaker 1: I am because it's like nerve wracking.
Speaker 2: No, but having James is like James is like the boy and obviously, which means we'll have.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna have to have Verqul's gonna have to be up on stage with us and run through some segments. Anyway, we are doing some really fun things and I think we don't want to give away the show, but we can say this. Lala has made it a give them Laala experience. So I can promise you all because I've been there as she's you know, we're creating this together, but as she is really putting her lallaisms into it, I think that none of you will be disappointed. I think it's a girl's night out. I think that I'm invited just by association. I don't think i'd really be invited, but I want to tell you that behind the scenes VIP, I'm sorry. The meet and greet VIP thing that Laala has created is gonna be really cool because we're gonna have like people that are of age and drink. We're gonna have shots, cheers backstage, and we're gonna do like really fun shit. We're gonna make it really really fun. And I want I mean, I wish I could tell you everything, but I could promise you this very interactive, very audience involved.
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to feel like I invited people to like chill with me one on one, Like that's what I want. I don't want it to feel like I just, you know, sold tickets and it's like, hey, what's up. It's like, no, you get to kick it with me. You get a kick it with me, I get a kick it with you. We're all going to kick it with each other.
Speaker 3: That is correct.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: Get You're gonna get the Lala. You're gonna get all Laala on this show.
Speaker 2: I'm excited because obviously without you guys listening to the podcast or.
Speaker 1: You know, giving a single shit about me.
Speaker 2: I don't get to go on tour, so this is a huge deal for Randall and myself and I just can't wait to meet all of you guys.
Speaker 3: Yes, So that's the big news of this week again Friday, one more time. Case you just dropped dropping in to listen ten am give them live dot com. Fuck go to Lala's instagram. You'll see more details there. But tickets are on sales Friday. We can't wait to see everybody. I am very very honored. I hope I have five SIP fans in every city.
Speaker 2: But people love you, rand I think you're gonna see that starting, you know, on our first in our first city, which is Dallas, Texas House of Blues on November thirty.
Speaker 3: It's that's the first I have friends in every city.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to make sure five people of my friends get tickets so that when like I come out for my little thing or whatever. Yeah, you know, they're like cheering, and then you think, and I've gotten really like popular, but really it's like my friends that I paid, Oh dude, like I'm going to buy their tickets for them because they won't even probably buy them to see me.
Speaker 2: No, maybe well they'll buy them to see me, So that's true.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we're there anyway. We're really excited, guys, and that's like a big deal. And we've worked hard on this and it was probably it was going to happen earlier and then pandemic kicked in and kicked all.
Speaker 3: Of our asses.
Speaker 1: But I'll take it whenever I can get it.
Speaker 4: But by the way, can I tell you something, I am so excited to be out at you know, at this time on tour because to meet people and hang out and just have the most fun we can have. I think it's going to be a great experience for everybody. So this Friday, buy your tickets and and uh and we'll see soon.
Speaker 2: Now back to our podcast, back to back to our podcast. So we, like I said, are having Heather McDonald on. And also even though like she got her star as stand up comedian, she has the most epic podcast in the entire world.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys follow her, it's.
Speaker 3: A huge podcast, Like it's somebody we look.
Speaker 2: Up to, and it really is the juiciest of all scoops. Like every time I look at her promoting her next podcast, I can't wait to listen because she fuacking puts in the work. She puts in the work.
Speaker 1: To find the juicy scoop.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: So I have a question for you before we get Heather on here. Yeah, how do you like being a Vanner pump Roules cast member?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not a vander pump Roles cast member.
Speaker 1: I love to tear you refer.
Speaker 3: To me as that. Not that I have any disrespect.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm a movie film I'm a film director and film producer.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely correct. In fact, you just were in Florida for one of.
Speaker 4: The I I was for the first screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival of Midnight and Switchgrass or Movie with Megan Fox from Shinga and Kelly Emil Hirsch.
Speaker 3: So we had our first screening, a bunch of actors, fluent.
Speaker 4: We had our first screening in a real theater, first time I've been in a real theater and almost a year and a half. It went great, And now we have the world premiere coming up July nineteenth in La So it's very exciting.
Speaker 2: But yes, what's that going to be like for you? Because you've been to a million and one premieres as a producer. As a producer, what's it going to be like your first It's like your directorial debut for real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, i'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Even in Tampa at the premiere, I was very emotional because it was my first premiere as a director and it's a very different thing. I was petrified. I was nervous.
Speaker 3: You know. I had all the actors around me, so I felt like pretty safe because it was like.
Speaker 2: By all of your actors have been very supportive of the film. And you know when I say that, I'm sure everyone's like, well, of course they were supportive.
Speaker 5: Of the film.
Speaker 1: But there are many actors.
Speaker 2: Who are not behind the films that they're in. I don't want to say a lot, but there's been actors who don't back up the film.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time.
Speaker 4: I produced over one hundred and fifteen hundred and eighteen movies, and there's movies where the movie just doesn't work well and talent doesn't always get behind it. But at the same time, there are movies all over the place.
Speaker 3: I think. I think when you have cast that really.
Speaker 4: Believes in the film, like the cast I have who really believed in it from the beginning, and then we lived through a pandemic together. You know, it took us nine months to finish a movie, which is not normal for a small independent film. I think really brought us all together. So I'm very, very proud of the relationships I have with everybody.
Speaker 2: Tell our listeners how many views the trailer got when it came out?
Speaker 4: Well, worldwide impressions is what the studio tells me, is like the test, like how many impressions on all platforms, trailer, this, that articles, everything? Okay, they called me and they had said got north of three billion impressions, which is like for a small indie movie, is a lot. So it's pretty exciting part of this.
Speaker 2: For those of you who don't know the film we're talking about, let's tell them again.
Speaker 4: It's Midnight in the Switchgrass opens in July. You can go to Midnight and switch Grass and see the trailer and check it out. I'm really really proud of it. I you know, I am nervous. I'm because the first the screening in Florida, that's like my home state, that's that festival is like a home.
Speaker 1: Festival for Yeah, that's close to your heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was a it was a local festival that I wanted to kind of put the film first, somewhere where I kind of knew and it was and it was festival that was happening at the right time for us.
Speaker 3: Where the film was ready right.
Speaker 4: And now the premiere will happen and next month here in Los Angeles, which a lot of my peers and colleagues will come and you know, and that will be the real judge and then and that will open.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, I'm very proud.
Speaker 4: It's very different going to a movie premiere as a director because it's like your baby. You created something, worked hard, and then you're releasing it to the world for judgment, and whereas as a producer, it's your baby. But the film is always going to be a director's and you know, a director's baby more and more so because they're the ones who will get judged on the quality of the film more so than a producer will. So I understand now you know what it's like to go to a premier as a director, which is very different as a producer. You know, you show up and you're excited and you're celebrating.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't have the nerves that let's say a director has because he put his heart and soul and his creative you know self into it, and he's going to be judged for that, you know, as what people think. So it's a little nerve wrecking, but but I am excited. I'm very proud, and.
Speaker 2: I think it's good for you though, Rand, because you have been in film for such a long time, and you've always wanted to be in film. At first, it was you wanted to be an actor than you wanted to be behind the camera.
Speaker 3: I was a child, I was actually right, But you've.
Speaker 2: Always wanted to be in film in any.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I love movies. I love movies. I don't care what what, Yeah, I loved every part of film. Right.
Speaker 2: So, then north of one hundred films later that you've produced, I feel like you could kind of do it in your sleep. And I don't want to say that the creative juice was no longer there, but because it was such second nature to you, you needed something that could bring you back to the craft of filmmaking.
Speaker 1: And don't you feel like, yeah, just did that.
Speaker 4: I think that I was at a crossroad in my life where I felt the artistic side of me was a little stale, you know, I think that I became you know, I'm I really love producing and I'm very I think I'm pretty good at it. But but I think that, you know, it's I feel like for me, I was getting caught up more on the stresses of producing and struggles are producing and forgetting about the rewards you know, of like how how great it is just to produce.
Speaker 3: A movie, let alone multiple films.
Speaker 4: So I just felt like I needed to challenge myself and I felt like I needed to reignite that creative bugging me like I had when I first started producing. And I think directing put a lot of fear in me to try something out of my comfort zone.
Speaker 3: And I think that's why I needed to do it. And then when I did it, I didn't know how I would feel about it, Like even though I I, okay, I'll know, I'll get through the film, but will I like it, Will it be horrible? Will it suck? Will I just It's an unknown on all levels. You know, I've worked with some of the greatest filmmakers in the world that I that I look up to to this day. I called a lot of them every day and would be like, you know, I'm freaking the fuck out? Am I am? I? Am?
Speaker 4: I doing something wrong? Like if you're not freaking out, then you're then you're definitely doing something wrong. So I was like, Okay, that's not that comforting, but okay. So but anyway, so you know, I went through the process and in the end.
Speaker 3: I I really just rebirthed, you know, my creative fire and I feel so like alive when I'm directing now and when I'm creating.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited. But you know what's great about it is that directing is a medium that you're always going to be trying to master. And here I am at fifty years old, having done two movies now and getting ready to do my third as a director, and it's like it's like I'm going to be learning for a long time.
Speaker 3: Like this is not something that I'm just going to be like, oh, I got it in the bag, you know, let let's go on to the next.
Speaker 4: This is going to be something that that it's going to take a lot of work and focus and I love it. So I like that part of it, but I still love producing.
Speaker 3: It's just a very very.
Speaker 4: Different It's two extremes, you know, producing a lot of business, a lot of deals, a lot of a lot of you know, financial negotiation, things like that, and and then you know you're overseeing the whole process. You're not you're not doing one thing as a producer, you're overseeing every part of it. And then as a director, you're solely responsible for the creative process.
Speaker 3: And that's a big thing in itself.
Speaker 2: So, uh, yeah, it was an incredible cast to work with on your first movie directing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was pretty awesome. You know, I was lucky that I had relationships like you know, Emil Hirsh who I was the first actor and at the table.
Speaker 2: Read, I remember that. Yeah, I was in that table read.
Speaker 3: I know you were. Yeah, and uh and yeah, and you got replaced by Megan Fox. Yeah, no, no, you you did me. You didn't get replaced.
Speaker 2: I'm joking, one hundred percent, got fucking replaced.
Speaker 3: You did not get replaced. You're trying to tell a story that's in.
Speaker 2: All honesty, like I would replace me with Megan Fox.
Speaker 4: You did, okay, but you didn't get replaced because I said, you will you do me a favor and read this role because I know you're a good actor and I said, would you read this role for me so I could hear the part out loud?
Speaker 3: And you agreed, and I and you always said, you're right.
Speaker 2: I can't be replaced on something that was never really mine.
Speaker 3: No. No, Because you and I talked to you and I talked about it where we sat.
Speaker 4: You knew that I had to cast a certain name, level of actor to get the financer.
Speaker 2: And that name was not like they were like, she's great, Randy, We really, you know, we really we love her work on vander Pumperwol's but we're thinking we just want to go another direction.
Speaker 4: No, okay, all right, no, but that's not the case. But what I am very grateful is because I do know you're a very good actor. You read the role and you crushed it, and it allowed me to hear that role. You and Emil Hirsch and all these Lucas and all these different actors that came. And what I loved is I was able to hear the script in that read through. And it was in that read through that I wrote a note to myself and said I'm going to direct this movie.
Speaker 3: Like I wasn't sure.
Speaker 1: At that point, right, I remember, this was still like up in the air.
Speaker 4: It is it a good script? Am I ready? Or am I going to talk myself out of it? And after that read through, listening to you and Emil and all the different actors that came out to support me that day, I knew twenty minutes into the read through, I said, oh, I'm definitely directing this movie. And then I wrote to a Meal on the back of the script as he was reading, I wrote to him play this role because I think I want to.
Speaker 2: He was fantastic and he but he I feel like he kills every new plays. He's he's they don't make actors with kids.
Speaker 4: He's one of those actors that people, I mean, come on, he was in you know, he's in everything, and he's just one. There's a handful of actors in our industry that just when they show up, they've got that magical ability that's just so deep.
Speaker 2: And so now you got a Meal Hirsh fresh off of Once upon a Time in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: No fuck, he was at the Oscars and Brad Pitt's winning Best Actor and you know he's working with Quentin Tarantino and he's like Quentin Tarantino.
Speaker 3: Redd element right. No, but you know what I like about a meal is.
Speaker 4: We had done Loan Survivor together, and we did a couple other movies as a producer, and and I just said to him, look, you know, I'm going to try this. I don't know, you know, I don't know how I'm gonna be and I just let you know. So he's so nice, and I don't We'll get off the subject and say but it was so nice that I listened to the behind the scenes of Midnight and Swishcress like they do the commentary where the actors get interviewed, and I was shocked because he was just like Randall's got this energy and he's just really good at directing, and he just knows.
Speaker 3: What he wants and he's excited. He's fun to be around, and he's just got such a vision. And it was like wow, like he you know, I would like to hear that from an actor that I look up to so much and I have such respect for. Was very, very kind. So I'm lucky I had somebody that I that was a friend that I trusted, that allowed me to allow him to be great. And he's so good and it's so fun to be a director and watch great actors.
Speaker 4: Even my next movie that we're cutting now with de Niro and Malcovich and Jack Houston, all these great actors, like actors you know of this caliber are so epic.
Speaker 3: They're just so you know.
Speaker 4: It makes me think back when I was a kid and I was pursuing acting very young before I went to film school in college, and I think about, you know, I was never like these people, like like it was cool that I was like, Okay, I was like, I'm you know, I could do Charlie Brown or whatever. But I mean, these these actors, I mean, you know, I think God had a plan for me to be in the film business behind the camera and watching these actors do what they do. I don't even know how they get there. I don't even know how. I mean, you know you're an actor, you know you've done it a lot. I mean, you guys do things. You know, actors do things that are magical on sets. They can take a character, internalize it and and and then put it out there. You know in a way that you're just like what things Emil did And I'm gonna move on.
Speaker 1: I promises that things.
Speaker 3: But things Emil did and Lucas Hawes did and Caitlin Carmichael's in the movie. The things they do you read on the page and as a director you make all these notes and you're like, Okay, do this, and when we get to this scene and then I want to feel this moment here and writing all these different things down and we get on set and I start kind of shaping it, and then they just bring something to the table that can you set the bar? And then it's above and you're like, what just fucking happened?
Speaker 1: Like we were character to life.
Speaker 2: You simply look at the dialogue and you picture, you may picture, you know how you think they should act, but then you can't. You can't think about how someone should act. Like it's totally different when you see a character come to life and it's you know, someone else's perception of what the character should bring.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, And I think I.
Speaker 4: Think for me as a director, I really love directing you know, great actors, and I pride myself on that and coming from an acting background, and I feel like I have a connection like with Emil and Lucas and Kaitlin and Megan and all these actors, even MGK. When I was there, I felt like there are moments that it's just flawless total, those moments like I want to see a little.
Speaker 3: More of something and that's why you're there. No, no, And I love that they'll just they'll trust me to when I say, hey, try it this way, try totally. And sometimes it's wrong, it just doesn't work. And sometimes it's magical. And when you have this magical moment between you know, the scene and you're sitting there, you're just like wow. And for me, that's the high, the highest, watching these incredible performances of life and shaping them and all that.
Speaker 2: So I get exactly what you mean, because there was and this was years ago. It was like when the Sex and the City movie had just come out and they came out with a book which was the script. They put it in book form, okay, and I had just flipped to the page. Have you seen Sex in the City, rand.
Speaker 3: I saw a TV show?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well there's I mean back, okay, Well there's the scene when Big doesn't show up to the wedding. Okay, and it's like just any woman that watched that was just it was devastating. Okay. The line from Charlotte as Big approaches as Charlotte is hugging Carrie that after Big decided to like not come to the wedding, and she Charlotte points at Big and is like no, and the script just says no, says no, no, And I'm thinking, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, it was it was so much deeper than that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Like when Charlotte screams no at Big, yeah, like you literally your heart just is on the floor, and all the script says no, no, with an exclamation.
Speaker 4: And that I think is an incredible collaborative moment between an actor and a director where that magic happens. And I think for me that's you know, you could look at even my script from Midnight, or you could look at you know, the Nial movie I just finished. There's moments in the cut that you'll look and it was so much deeper and more beautiful and bigger. But the writer sets the platform for us, and then it's the draw to the job as of the director and the actor to take it to that next place and and uh, it's really a fun process. So for me, I'm like, it's just like at blank canvas and you know, you kind of have a setup and then you have to kind of create from there and it could go so many different ways.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So that's that's why I love the directing process so much. Creatively, I love producing very different medium.
Speaker 2: You want to what's great about life? We can do it all? I agree, we can do it all. Rand Okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 2: The limit? Where does it end? It doesn't?
Speaker 3: It doesn't?
Speaker 4: You know what the moral of the story is. I'm fifty years old. I was forty eight when I started Midnight, forty nine when I did THEA Wash Me the other movie. And I'll tell you something. You're never too old to go after your dreams. That is really really my mantra. I'm serious people, If I can pivot in my career and go after something and try something which.
Speaker 3: Even for me was I was petrified.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll be honest and question everything about what I do in this business. If I can change and try something, that means that it's never too late. That's my point is that it doesn't matter if you're sixty or fifty or seventy or thirty five, or or you or you went to college for you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't know architecture correct, And then you just say you want to be a pianist, right. But my point is like it's okay, and it's okay to wake up and say, you know what, maybe I'm not that fulfilled going down this road right now, and I want to try a different road and maybe it'll take me back to the original road or maybe this will be my new road. But whatever it is, I just want people to always know that it's your dreams are your dreams, and you have one life on this earth that we know about, and on this earth, you want to make sure you leave it all out there. And so that's why I took a chance on a gamble, because you know, I want my kids to look up to me and say, my dad, you know, never ever, ever was afraid to try something new, even whether it works or not.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I love it. Well. On that note, I think we should take a short break.
Speaker 3: It's a lot about the movie.
Speaker 1: Let's I liked it.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, I feel like I'm on a film channel to give.
Speaker 4: Them Laala with Randall? Or is this give them Lalla the cinematic experience?
Speaker 2: This is give them Whaila with Randall. You're welcome, We'll be right back. We are back with Heather McDonald.
Speaker 3: Yes, Heather McDonald.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Anyway, I own a beautiful home.
Speaker 6: I got to meet ocean, yes, and see your backyard.
Speaker 2: Did it make you nervous when she started crying? No, No, I'm a mother.
Speaker 1: She cries a lot.
Speaker 5: Well, you know every kid is different.
Speaker 3: Did your kids cry a lot? Did your kids cry a lot?
Speaker 6: To be honest, my older son would cry every night from about like oh god, six to eight, oh, just two hours, and I would like go like this and watch TV and just shake them like that.
Speaker 5: But then, you know, they're so easy.
Speaker 6: You know what, Can I just say this what I've discovered because I have two boys that are teenagers. I went on a girls trip for my birthday and the boy moms we have it's so easy. No one hears from it. We only get a text like is there food? Kind of go to Chick fil a.
Speaker 5: I literally have to be like, are you okay? Yes?
Speaker 6: The girls, the moms who have teenage girls. One of my friends, her daughter, has ruined four of our girl trips.
Speaker 5: Not ruined, but disrupted. Disrupted.
Speaker 6: Okay, So the first time it was a boyfriend breakup. Another time I.
Speaker 5: Was there and it was like a fight with her dad. They're divorced.
Speaker 6: Another time it was she got we were at we all got together to for one of my friends.
Speaker 5: Her husband died.
Speaker 6: We were like at a like for a weekend, like celebrating his life.
Speaker 5: And she is on the phone the whole time because.
Speaker 6: The girl's got in trouble for drinking on a boat or something.
Speaker 5: Then another time we're.
Speaker 6: All in DC and she checks her nest and she sees that the girl has all these boys coming through.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I'm about to go take a san X. Then what the fuck?
Speaker 5: So then I said, I go.
Speaker 6: So when I said on that one, I go, do you realize that blank has ruined our four of my girl trips? And she lives far away, she lives on the East Coast, and it's like for me to go see her, for her to see me, it's a big effort.
Speaker 5: And she's like, oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 6: And so that she said to her when she was coming out to Palm Desert for my birthday, she goes, I've talked to her and it's not a problem. Like she said, she's going to be nothing's going to happen. I hope to God not. So she was not the disruptor my other friends. Oh daughter got in a fight.
Speaker 1: With the dad. Oh my dad, you're.
Speaker 6: Too leaning and she puts her on speakerphone and she's like, well, I have to come Hope having a panic attack.
Speaker 5: That's our fakest pend Atteck I ever heard.
Speaker 6: And then she's like then the sun was a witness And he's like, mom, that's being fine.
Speaker 5: She's just being a free and then she's just like and I go, oh my god, do not please tell me you're not gonna leave. She's like no, I'm not fucking leaving. So then that at the end.
Speaker 6: So then we go to this woman's house that I met that I was like, hey, you happen to be in your twenty million dollar mansion today.
Speaker 5: She's like yeah.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, who wants to stay for Sunday? Normally always Sunday Palm Springs. Everyone starts to drive around one. Oh my god, it's the best to stay till like seven.
Speaker 5: It is the best.
Speaker 6: I will never leave it, really because the traffic was better at like seven.
Speaker 5: And then we went to a place.
Speaker 6: Where were in the pool and then she's like stay here, stay here, and I'm like, I have all this I pressed to do because I was on the bachelorette.
Speaker 5: I've to do tomorrow. And my friend didn't hear that, and she goes, why don't we just stay here? And I go, what, you're a lawyer? Like what are you doing? I just never want to I just don't want to go home to my daughter.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: He's like, I don't want to go home to that family of mine. I'm like no, I'm like, then the forty has to end. And then I was like, oh man, this would be a funny movie. Like a bunch of women my age that just go fuck it.
Speaker 6: They just like leave their life like they just they just no one's going home, Like just no one's going home.
Speaker 1: It's a road change.
Speaker 3: It's quitting their family, quitting their family.
Speaker 5: They're just I don't want to go home?
Speaker 3: Did you stay Sunday night? And lead Monday?
Speaker 6: We left it like seven or so seven or so that I dropped off my friend who would fly home, and then I was home like at ten.
Speaker 3: How bad was the hangover Monday?
Speaker 6: It wasn't so bad because I didn't really drink on Sunday. We were really good. We did that by talks. Tell everybody about it. I wish they were a sponsor.
Speaker 3: What is a by talks?
Speaker 5: I remember I gave you.
Speaker 6: One and it was like we didn't it's so clear we thought it was a throwaway.
Speaker 5: You put it on your butt.
Speaker 6: It's just a sticker, and it's like like twelve, you put it on a sticker on your butt and don't get your first drink. So like around six it's hard if you're drinking like twenty four hours, hard because you don't know when you peel it off when you start a crashing. But if it's a normal night where it's like you're doing your hair and it's about six o'clock six or seven, you put it on then. And what I really like is I like to have, you know, different kinds of alcohol throughout the night, and this keeps me from not getting hung.
Speaker 3: By the way, I really to that you, Yes, you have shots ofster.
Speaker 5: You don't like?
Speaker 3: You had one?
Speaker 6: Yes, it was so good, Norah, when you're at USC, I don't like lucorice.
Speaker 5: It was the worst experience.
Speaker 3: Of my life. What about Yeah, other things.
Speaker 5: I'm just not a shot person.
Speaker 3: I like the shots because I like to get right to me.
Speaker 1: So then what do you do?
Speaker 6: I like like a cocktail like like a spicy margarita, like a like a you know, cucumber martini kind of a thing. Then I like to like have a really nice dinner and then I'm like, oh my god, I'm having fish. I'm like, you know, a charonay, or I'm having a steak. I'd like a really good cap. Now the night's continuing.
Speaker 3: Now what happens.
Speaker 5: Now I want like.
Speaker 6: An espresso martini, so now I'm mixing all this, or i want champagne.
Speaker 5: But with that, I'm okay.
Speaker 6: The next time, I'm a little weird, but I'm okay, just like a little shaky. Or I wake up really early and then like by three, I'm just I'm like in my hungover, just.
Speaker 5: Really tired because I only slept like five hours.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I always hated that when I was like, wake up early, exhausted and I'm like, is this a hangover?
Speaker 6: Is it just because we wake up you have energy, then you're exhausted, like three, That's what it is.
Speaker 2: When I want to just tell you wake up ready to party again.
Speaker 3: You missed the night a few years ago, Yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: Been a really fun night because you both talked about.
Speaker 3: It was it was legendary so we were at Cachella you I flew you back because you were going to New York for something Watch that's watch, and Heather and I were left behind for Neon Carnival, and I really.
Speaker 5: Didn't know you very well so at all. So I was like, so long.
Speaker 6: So I actually you did my podcast, but I did it at your office and then you were like.
Speaker 5: What are you doing this weekend?
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm actually going to Palm Desert and You're like, do you want to know?
Speaker 5: This party starting? And I'm like, are you serious?
Speaker 2: You know Hollywood me?
Speaker 6: You kept asking, so I'm like, okay, I really have the number, Like let's text, let's see.
Speaker 5: So I have my sister to go with me.
Speaker 6: You know, no, I don't think my husband was there at all, but no, no, be included anyway.
Speaker 5: So then that's the other thing that I've noticed, like as I've gotten.
Speaker 6: Older, like in my forties, early forties and thirties, it was all about the couples, a couple of dinner.
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Where are the couple's going?
Speaker 5: Now every time I'm like, you we do husbands or no? No, no, It's.
Speaker 6: Like and then that's good because there's usually a couple of single people and they're like, okay, good, I'm glad you got Then we're like, then it's not weird for so and so whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, so we're down there.
Speaker 5: You caught you she flakes or not.
Speaker 6: She had to go to New York, right, But still I'm like, and you say, it's still happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you asked her and I saw, I said, go this is where I meet you. Of course you're invited. I told your abody. Yeah, and I said, come to the King, to the to the restaurant, the dinner, to the dinner and we'll go from there.
Speaker 6: And that's what I love so much when there's a plan and itinerary. But I'm also I post traumatic stress disorder from miss like missing a party, because back in the day, in our day of when we were, there'd be a party and they'd be like, follow us to the party, and then if you miss them, you joy to.
Speaker 3: Call who are you going to call? Beeper the people.
Speaker 5: Last time that happened, we were in Napa.
Speaker 6: We went to Napa with my friends who have a plane, and we go to like Crank Valley Winery or something. It's really nice winery, and I go, I want to go tonight too, because we were just going to like like these private wineris because they picked buy so much wine. So we were just like go to these places, but they weren't like serving us food, you know, so we're like dying, like we got to bring a picnic basket. So at that point, go to this thing and the guy goes, I've got I have this fabulous party. It's a mansion and they're having a party tonight, and that's exactly what I want to want to like drink wine in a mansion and look out at the vineyards. So he's like, so we go, what's the address? And he's like, you meet me at the place and then you'll follow me up the hill. And my friend Danny goes, what what's your cell phone number? He's like, no, just meet me there. So we're in this like old fashioned limo, like fucking like it's problem like Valley Girl from I don't know why.
Speaker 5: So it's hard to also see like where what's going on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: So we're like at this gas is you waiting for the guy? And then like daddy, it's out and it says something to guy and then the guy goes and then we get in because the Limo guy so far like what what's.
Speaker 5: The trut It's like follow that up.
Speaker 6: We totally did not find them, could never find the guy didn't have a cell phone.
Speaker 5: I was so heartbroken.
Speaker 6: I'm like, but I have to act like cool about it, because it's like they've they've treated us this whole weekend. I was like, I was planning this like mansion party, like and now we're just at like some rest some average now was trying to do open table or call.
Speaker 5: Now we're just at an average restaurant.
Speaker 3: And I'm like depressed.
Speaker 5: All right, you know, so what I love? So then we have our dinner.
Speaker 3: Right, Heather shows up, You show up, and I have a dinner of like twenty people, yes, and we're just banging shots and of.
Speaker 6: Course I see Britney Spears x Jason Track where I'm like, I've been wanting to get this scooped forever.
Speaker 5: I guess kept on like moving on.
Speaker 3: You move like five chairs and so you had them in your sights and then and then you drilled them. You drill Jason tray Ca.
Speaker 5: I just swear to god there was a moment after because then.
Speaker 6: We go to the other party, but first to say before we leave that party.
Speaker 5: So my sister's with me, she's my.
Speaker 6: Sister's great and and then they're like, okay, we're going to the to the next place with all these cars and you.
Speaker 5: Know how like.
Speaker 6: How like at there's like that that little kill like kids play around at and so I see, like we come out of the bathroom, we're like fuck, they already are like like she's got she's got like the same little skinny cult light legs and she got like wedges and she's like that great hill and get in the car, like I will leave you here. So we get in the cars we have like the.
Speaker 3: Police escort, pretty police cars.
Speaker 5: How are we just getting police keeple today?
Speaker 1: Like this is weird?
Speaker 6: And then and then when we get there to the event, to the event, they won't let your guy carry his gun security.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, he was carrying, yes, a pistol and they would not let him. He was a police officer, yes, and they just said no, no firearms. So he had to leave that. Yeah, give how to give it to another officer who took it. And then we went in.
Speaker 5: And then then we went on.
Speaker 6: Then we went to the Ferisheel together the cop andy, and then I was asking him everything about his life and how private security works when you're also a cop, and like, what's the deal, And you know, I remember everything about him. He had he had a girlfriend who had a child, and you know, if we want a children of his his own.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just got the whole thing. So then then we're now we're.
Speaker 6: At the VIP section where the where the DJ party.
Speaker 3: Is the floor, and then we're there and that's.
Speaker 6: What I tried to get the scoop of what was Jason and Britney's relationship really like and.
Speaker 2: Were you successful in getting it out?
Speaker 6: I got some and at one point sometimes I was just about to get something, like I was with Sonia at.
Speaker 1: Josh flaggs Oh, I'm so.
Speaker 7: Generous, and she's like, you know, I introduced Ramona to Doug and Ellis and now she thinks she's a big real church and I go and the show and you know, the other said I'm like yeah, I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 6: They always take your guys and your contacts and tell me about it.
Speaker 5: And then all of a sudden she's just like I can't talk to you and left. Yeah, she was like all of a sudden like realized.
Speaker 1: That you're Heather McDonald.
Speaker 5: Yes, but I don't. I won't tell it unless I say they can tell her, I'll just go. I mind. But I was just like, what happened?
Speaker 6: Basically he told me that, yeah, that he was working with her, and then they became a couple, and then William Morris made him stopp being Williamore's agent. Yeah, and then he like managed her and then they were in Vegas. And then I was like, and then what happened? What he's saying, That's when he realized he was talking to Heather McDonald. And he's like, there's so much to it. There's so He's like, there's it's unbelievable. There's so much to it.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going, what is it?
Speaker 6: And then then at Google told four in the Morning everything about it, all the sweet articles that were like he she wanted to have another she wont to have another baby. He didn't want kids, which is true. He never had kids. He's so good looking.
Speaker 1: I think he.
Speaker 5: Is still in Vegas. Does he have a girlfriend or anything.
Speaker 1: No, he refuses, He always not true.
Speaker 2: He dates, No, but he always pre wreck.
Speaker 3: I think he has a girl already dates now I don't know what.
Speaker 2: He always follows it up with, if you find a dude that you want to date and there's that option of marriage at the end of the road here, then you should go do that, because I know who.
Speaker 5: Would ever do that?
Speaker 2: Why would you even say that he really doesn't want to ever get married, which is a travesty because I want him to pro create. He's such a good looking dude.
Speaker 5: But I think that's a that's just an awful idea to say that.
Speaker 2: Off of that. I love that people when they sit down, they feel like they can tell you everything, and then they realize, oh shit, that's how they're fucking McDonald.
Speaker 6: By the way, Oh we're gonna I had this girl come up to my show in Miami and she came up and she goes, I met you after a show.
Speaker 5: I hung out with you in Naples.
Speaker 6: I go, oh, my god, is your sister still sleeping with your stepfather?
Speaker 5: And she goes, how do you remember that? I go, how do you think I fucking forever get?
Speaker 2: I go.
Speaker 6: Out of everybody that came up to me and has told me a juicy story, that story has like stuck with me.
Speaker 5: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Do you remember most of the people that like, do you have one of those memory is where if someone rolls up on you, they're like, I was at a meet and greet when you were in Tampa.
Speaker 6: If they tell me something specific, like and I told you that, you know, I'm a military wife or something like, then I can remember if it was something specific, or even if they go, I wrote you an email about a murder in my town about this, and then I will remember that, like that story, but just someone saying, Hi, I met you.
Speaker 5: Two years ago and we took a photo. No, not necessarily.
Speaker 6: Sometimes people look familiar though, like I'm like, oh yeah, wait yes, or like all you know, just like how you recognize certain people that always comment or are your biggest band, and then they'll you know, then you know, they might come and go, I'm Dolly Doo or whatever.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, you know right. No, I totally an.
Speaker 5: Awful Instagram handle.
Speaker 2: Not real, not real.
Speaker 6: They still stayed buried though the stepfather and her mother. They stayed married, even though the sister had been sleeping with the stepfather for a couple of years for money and they were rich.
Speaker 2: That seems like something I would watch on porn Hub, like that storyline.
Speaker 6: That's probably what I thought about it. It was weirdly hot. She told me how it happened in the kitchen, how it first started.
Speaker 2: Total porn Hub hour in twenty minutes, that you watched the whole thing.
Speaker 6: And so she's just like, I cannot believe. And then her friend was with her, like this gay guy was her friend. And he's like, it was literally four years ago that she told me the story.
Speaker 5: She was the wedding still happened.
Speaker 6: I go, it was your wedding that was around the corner, right, and she's like yeah, and I'm like you're still married, and she was just like blown away.
Speaker 5: So yes, but then, but then there's other times where.
Speaker 6: People will say, oh, I did have this other person come up to me, what did you say?
Speaker 5: She said, I was not a delight.
Speaker 6: When she met me in Vegas ten years ago, and she goes, you were just she goes, I was with Peter.
Speaker 5: She goes, we met your husband there.
Speaker 6: We were talking to your husband and then you came up and I go, oh, yeah, that's I go, that was when I did that performance, and you know, Chris Knoth was there. She's like, yeah, that's all you cared about was going on to dinner with Chris Noth never after, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, who wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 6: He is big in sects the City Wait, which one her main boyfriend?
Speaker 1: Big oh big big.
Speaker 5: He was at the event. I kept doing Samantha Jones impressions on stage and.
Speaker 6: It was like this, like I think they might have paid these celebrities to be here, and then they paid me to perform and it was for jewelry and so there all we're all going to dinner after and another like thing, just like I was scared. I'm like, if we miss the fucking traveling to the restaurant, I'm never going to know which restaurant it is. So I'm like, so Peter's trugk to this couple and he's like, hey, you know, being nice here, like we got to go.
Speaker 5: And so that's what they witnessed.
Speaker 6: But at that time, I was on Chelsea Lately, so I wasn't like as connected and like you know, to my podcast listeners, I was just someone on Chill Lately.
Speaker 1: You were the best on China Lately.
Speaker 6: But I didn't have like the the fan connection that I have now with with like being you know, with podcasting and people being able to write you and everything.
Speaker 2: And now look at you, you're on. You're on, fucking give them alla with Randall like you've made it all right.
Speaker 3: With that quick right, yes, all right, we'll be back in a second.
Speaker 2: We're back with my most favorite human. Can I tell you I could just listen to you tom Day.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. You tell the best stories.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: What I was walking around in Miami is when I listened to your podcast because I wanted to, but also because someone said that you guys were nice about me.
Speaker 5: So then I'm usually like, that's the one I would like to listen to.
Speaker 1: Oh, Randal and I love you.
Speaker 6: But when someone says, oh, someone talks shitty about you or someone said something nice about you, I try to just only listen to something somebody said nice about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, why would you listen to the other thing? That's not productive?
Speaker 5: I know it's hard not to.
Speaker 2: Well, it was actually I was with Logan and Leo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess, so fun Yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Hosted last week's podcast with me, and we were talking about the Hustler and the House rights.
Speaker 5: You guys still finding out so much information. I'll never stop.
Speaker 6: And then people said, do you think that'll hurt you, like with Bravo or you know, doing stuff with Bravo, And I'm like, come on, I don't what am I going to? I'm not on I mean, I was on watch what Happens once.
Speaker 2: Bravo's not paying your bills?
Speaker 5: No, it's no.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, and you know, and but Andy absolutely did not watch it. He's like, oh, once I saw that Danielle and Dana Wilke were on it, I just you know. And I'm like, well, if you watched it, you realize that was the first twelve minutes of it to suck people in, and the rest was really about the crimes that he committed.
Speaker 5: And it was like really interesting.
Speaker 6: And you know which is it got like huge ratings because I just had Kimberly Archie will be on my show Tuesday. So this comes out Wednesday, so it's up now. And I had interviewed her like eight months ago when the divorce was announced.
Speaker 5: Wow, and she used to work for.
Speaker 6: Tom You're already kind of like an Aaron Rokovich like she'd work and like getting the research together.
Speaker 2: Well, I well, how did that?
Speaker 1: I wrote?
Speaker 2: Because I watched this that came to be because Tom was on her best friend's son's case.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 5: I think that she would have been working for him before this happened.
Speaker 6: And then she recommended to facilitate like the meeting and get her friend to for him to represent the son and their family and yeah, and then she was basically saying like they just.
Speaker 5: Didn't they didn't think that like the money was going to run out. Of course not.
Speaker 6: But you know, I was talking to people that have worked with Erica Jane, like when she started to become Erica Jane, right, and they all loved her.
Speaker 5: She paid so.
Speaker 6: Well, she was very very generous when it's not your own money, and when, according to her, you know, if she could spend whatever she wanted, you know, thanks baby, and he would just give her money.
Speaker 5: And you know, but.
Speaker 2: I loved her line before this whole thing happened. But I remember she made her first appearance on BH and she was like, what can I say? Being poor sucks and being rich is a lot better. And I was like, this bitch is the goat.
Speaker 5: Yes, I stand for again the.
Speaker 1: Greatest of all times?
Speaker 3: What it stands for? You know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, greatest the goat?
Speaker 3: I thought it was like a goat, like goats are cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm so outdated.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: Your fifty is showing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 2: But here's the no. I know.
Speaker 1: It's also I'm trying to be like the cool kids, and they say I.
Speaker 3: Ask a few questions that I think are our fans.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, I want to ask one question. This is the billion dollar question. Do you think Erica Jane knew.
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 5: I do now I knew it not. I used to think.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a very good chance that they have an arrangement that she could spend whatever she wanted and he could cheat on her and do whatever he wanted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all friends, we know that now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we know that came through that and I knew that five years ago, like you know that. That's why she didn't have to go to travel with him anymore. Remember she's like, for ten years, I went everywhere with mister Gerard, he went to Germany, and then now.
Speaker 5: She's with the glam squad. Bring the entire glam squad. I mean, the amount of money I can't even imagine.
Speaker 6: So I think, but he's been doing stuff like this shady since the Aaron Brockovich days.
Speaker 2: Well because they this wasn't just I think most people know about the plane crash victims that were basically robbed of all of their money. Yeah, I mean, whether it was one hundred and fifty thousand dollars that was being won by a victim or millions he was snatching it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 6: Also, the other part is a lot of people don't know is that a lot of these cases were settled without court. So like, let's say, Lala, you were you know, you felt it, and I'm like, Lala, I am gonna do my best. I'm going to try to get you five million, and then I actually get you twelve. And then come back and I go, guess what, Lola, I got you six, And you're like, great, you go off your way, but I took an extra six plus the forty percent off the six.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying, you know, I don't know. Those cases are harder to figure out. But when you realize how many cases were done just like over the phone, and it's all between friends and judges and how entire like how do you know? And then you're happy with the check you got because you're just like this, you know, little Bumpkin that had this horrible thing happened.
Speaker 5: To me, So like, what do you know?
Speaker 6: No, that documentary I think once he started to do that and then we found she and all her research that she came on today she found two checks on the same day, one for nine million and another for nine million. Now we don't know the case, but one was for to Girardi Inclase, which is the law firm, and then one.
Speaker 2: Just to Tom what I know?
Speaker 6: So he was a winning of eighteen million for a client. It's supposed to go in these trust accounts of all this. How did he get this company to like whatever write him, Oh, you.
Speaker 5: Don't do it this way, Okay, it's Tom Girardi.
Speaker 2: Well I think that's why people did it was because he was Tom Girardi. He was on the cover of every magazine. He was la law like the people. He had these judges in the back of his pocket. Yeah, it was dude, the documentary studying.
Speaker 6: What you said, because you're like, look, I'm watching like everybody else. Yeah, and if I see her and that was okay, So I knew this fan who came to see me too.
Speaker 5: She was out here.
Speaker 6: She knew somebody that was putting together the Kathy Hilton viewing party. Okay, So and she's like, I'm gonna see if I can get you invited.
Speaker 5: I'm like, please get me invited.
Speaker 6: Like then she was like, oh my god, my friend's distressed. They're like full capacitators.
Speaker 5: I can't ask. I don't even know this girl that well. I know that's fine. Just give me the scoop, she said.
Speaker 6: She all these people, all these pr people are calling and saying, we want to make sure that if our client goes, they're not in a compromise position to take a photo with Erica.
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 5: But then Erica didn't come. Well, I don't blame her, but you know how Hollywood is. The minute you step in.
Speaker 2: Some shit.
Speaker 6: And if anything has taught us anything, don't help your friend out of that shit.
Speaker 5: It's not quick sent leave them alone. You're so good, all right, I'd like.
Speaker 3: To pivot for a second.
Speaker 4: Why you guys spilled tea? So just real quick, because I just like to hear the backstory. Let's start when you started, because you told me once before. I asked you a questions because I'm obsessed. How did you become the comedian and star that you became like the early comedy days that Chelsea Handler, et cetera. Just a quick snapshot because I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: Snapshot about how you came up, because it is a great story.
Speaker 6: Quick snapshot is I was born and raised here, but my parents were not in the entertainment business, but we always knew kids that were doing it. I had an agent as a kid, but I wasn't that good at so when I was about private from high school, I could imitate, like everybody this, well. My music teacher's like, why are you going to USC You should just be a stand up wow?
Speaker 5: And I was like, how would strangers find me me funny?
Speaker 6: So I go to SC and I have my fun but I would like every time I saw someone with the pager, I get really jealous because that meant they had an agent, not that.
Speaker 5: And I was like, I really want to be doing this. I know I'm not doing what I was supposed to be doing.
Speaker 6: So I get this horrible job out of school just so I could live with my own and be in front when job assistant buyer Robinson's may this is amazing, oh wow. And it was so horrible and I was so bad at it. But in the middle of it, my friend throws down a learning Annex magazine how to be a stand up comic, and she goes, you better fucking do this. So I take my red toyo Celica and I go to Eradison in Santa Monica, and I learned like, you just have to set up the bit so that a stranger knows what you're talking about, right, And it was like clicked, and then the woman was like, take this class and you could have this little show at the end.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: Everybody always been telling me I should do it, so I'm like, I know, I'll like get plenty.
Speaker 5: Of people to come.
Speaker 6: So as I'm studying for the now, I've done it once, but I'm still at the horrible job and I'm starting to like do it more and like start to like look for.
Speaker 5: Acting classes and stuff.
Speaker 6: And then the person at the place fires me and is like, you know.
Speaker 5: The hr person goes, hey, how you do it? You want to meet like maybe five on Friday.
Speaker 6: I'm like, well that it doesn't sound good, and then start the elevator and I was like hi, and she's like like when you have that no eye contact, you just know like the only other time it happened was when I knew I didn't make cheerleading. I didn't make varsity cheerleading because that the head lady's daughter wouldn't talk.
Speaker 5: To me at a party. Oh that I knew.
Speaker 6: I knew, She's like yeah. So then so then I got fired and I just started doing stand up and I just started doing groundlings. And then I did real estate with my parents to pay for everything, and they would like go over lines with me, and they always were so supportive of what I could do. And then my friends got jobs like at the Growling so I'd sell them houses so I could, like I was like the realtor of the prime Yeah, and so they but you know, so it's good. So like instead of being jealous of your friend getting a sitcom, I was like, would you like to buy a house?
Speaker 5: Nice?
Speaker 3: Okay? That what happened. Then, still making no money in comedy.
Speaker 6: Yet no many in comedy, Like I had to ask big people to come to the show. I had paid for eight people to come to the show from an agency I want.
Speaker 5: I don't know if his paradigm was something like that.
Speaker 6: And and right before I went on, this cute guy that I was friends with. He went on and just like won them like ever, you know, he did well. And then I go on and they're like, come here, and the whole time during my set, they're like signing him. Oh and I had to pay sixty four dollars for them to come eight people.
Speaker 5: So those are the kind of things.
Speaker 6: Where I'm like, I'm sorry, Like I'm so happy that people can put their content, make their own money and not be so dependent. I mean, you had to have an agent. You had to be in SAG and I it wasn't in sag. You needed to be in sack to get an agent. You need an agent to be in sack. So I went to this acting class that I go, I know, there must be a way to get a sad car. It's gotta be someone I can pay. He goes, there is this guy named Wayne, and then Wayne, I'd pay Wayne.
Speaker 5: Three hundred dollars. I had no idea.
Speaker 6: I just mailed three hundred dollars to this guy Wayne, and then he sent me three things that made me look like I had like a line on a beer commercial.
Speaker 3: Like vouchers, vouchers, oh my god.
Speaker 5: And then I paid the eleven fifty to join.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yes, wow. I don't even know how many years it would have been. I probably would have.
Speaker 6: I would have been able to join once I got on Keenan. So then Keenan I Ullyams had a late night talk show.
Speaker 3: And how did you get to that? Because I know you did. You wrote on that.
Speaker 6: My manager goes, would you consider writing on a show at this point? And I'm like, well, I you know, I thought it would be like a sitcom star but maybe let me see I've seen I've seen it, let me watch it more.
Speaker 5: And it was Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 6: I had to write a whole like package of jokes and sketches and everything and his point of view, and I remember I missed all these really good parties. But I was like, I got to do it. So I sent it in and I got it, and you know, and it was your first real first job. And I got it because he said, I want I've got you know, six white guys, six black guys, one black woman. I would like to get one white woman's point of view in here.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: So that was like just a great experience.
Speaker 3: How long do you do that?
Speaker 5: I got fired from that though, because wait.
Speaker 3: How long did you do it for before you got fired.
Speaker 6: Well, like from like from Memorial or labor not from Labor day. No, it didn't last something from Labor Day to like March or May. That's something like that, not that long. And then it got canceled in the summer.
Speaker 3: Okay, So why'd you get fired?
Speaker 6: Because they were supposed to tell you after thirteen weeks that they were going to pick you up. And he was very big on fun letting people go and firing people. But I thought, well, even if I get fired, I get paid for thirteen weeks, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: They'll give me. I have a credit card debt. After I got there, I guess they said enough.
Speaker 6: Keenan of firing people, you know, like stop it, you can't need this anymore.
Speaker 2: Iire one more.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: So, but I didn't know if I was going to get the next thirteen week pickup. And you're supposed to know it eleven weeks.
Speaker 6: So eleven weeks came and twelve on the twelfth week, and I still didn't know. I got a call from my manager saying, I have like two auditions for you know, comedy pilots for you, and I go.
Speaker 5: You know, I've never called in sick.
Speaker 6: I'm going to call in sick and go on these auditions. Oh yes, And I went and I called in sick and just call like the assistant writer's assistant. And then and then I was at the comedy store doing stand up that night and I had to check my messages or whatever, and I remember I was like calling on my little cell phone and they're like, yeah, call call you know. Oh, and that you always kept you really late, like ten at night. So I called and there the guy's like, yeah, Keiden says, you don't need to come back ever.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh my god. I was like so bummed.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: So then I like came back and I was like hi, and I like say goodbye everybody. And then I found out that this one guy comedian, he's not a comedian anymore because.
Speaker 1: He writes people out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he said.
Speaker 6: Kenan goes where's Heather and someone's like she's sick, and then he goes, you know, it's pilot season, Keenan.
Speaker 5: Oh, And he.
Speaker 6: Knew I wanted to be an actress because I came for the Crownings and I like.
Speaker 5: Wanted to be in sketchy That sucks. Yeah, that's nice at all, and so.
Speaker 3: That's not helping your friends.
Speaker 6: I was bummed about that because even had I stayed, the show would have eventually ended. Then I would have gotten all that money from all the rereunts that ran all summer set, and then all those people wrote Scream one, and I would have written on.
Speaker 4: Scream WHOA, so I was a super monster success.
Speaker 6: So they wrote on Scream one and Scream two, And then they broke up with the Weinstein brothers and they were going to do like another movie about like alien, like doing a parody of all the alien movies and my and he goes, we need like we need somebody. Maybe he brought me up, but he always noticed that all the alien movies had a single mom in it, like from et whatever. So he's like, we need to like get a woman in here to kind of write back parts those parts. So then my friend called me in My baby was only two weeks old, Drake, and he's like, do you want to work on this movie?
Speaker 5: And I was like, yeah, you know, okay, So then I, you know, would do it. And then all of a sudden, one day they call them.
Speaker 6: They're like, yeah, there was all these guys working on it, and they're like, yeah, Keenan fired like four people because they.
Speaker 5: Were coming up with anything good.
Speaker 6: And he was like, Heather has a fucking baby and she's bringing all these like funny ideas and stuff.
Speaker 5: So then I got to stay for that.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: And then they and then.
Speaker 6: They see that the people that started to take over the screen franchise, they the next Scream or whatever they called it.
Speaker 5: Or scary movie. Sorry, scarcary movie, not Scream. It was scary movie parodies.
Speaker 6: The next Scary Movie thing was going to be all about the alien movies because it was that Signs movie that was so big.
Speaker 5: So then they're like.
Speaker 6: We're not even going to do this because it's too similar to what they're doing. But they had already sold the idea of white Chicks, so like we're gonna start writing white Chicks, and I was like, well, don't you think you need one white chick to write on it?
Speaker 5: And so then I wrote with them on white checks. They already had like the story idea, but then I.
Speaker 6: Helped with all the characters, and then they're like, we're going to try to get you in on this. And then I remember they called me and they're like oh, we have to hire so many Canadian people, but we really want you to play the part that you wrote because I wrote it about this annoying girl that worked on.
Speaker 5: On Third Street is a store, like that's why I came.
Speaker 2: Up with it.
Speaker 6: And then they're like, and I remember literally it was like, can you get on you know, can you get to lax in like three hours?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 6: Because you have to be there tomorrow, and we just whatever got the okay. So then I got together like once or twice, I think to do that part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 6: And then I worked on a couple of other things with them too. They'd dance Flick. I had a small part in that, and and then and then I got so then I was married and I wasn't doing any stand up, but I was like getting parts and I was like, you know, sometimes i'd have health insurance, sometimes I wouldn't the worst, and then so you're get and then and then I started watching Last Comic Standing and it made me really miss stand up and I was like, I think I should start doing this, you know, right about being a.
Speaker 5: Mom and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: And then like the next day, this girl called me and she would always put all these girls shows together, female comic shows, and she was I just ran into somebody and I can't believe you quit the stand up.
Speaker 5: You were like the best one. I'm like, well, I didn't quit it. She's like, well, it's been like seven years.
Speaker 6: And I go, all right, just give me a date, give me a deadline, and she goes, okay, August whatever, I'm doing the improv.
Speaker 5: It's a pretty fun women.
Speaker 6: Chelsea, Natasha Lazeiro, Tig, Sarah Kalona, all these girls would do these shows. And so I just practiced my stuff and I did it and then like once I was back into it, then I felt great. And then that after that August come around, I was doing it.
Speaker 5: I heard that Chelsea was then going to start her show.
Speaker 6: And my friend was like, I don't know if I want to work on a full time like writing gig, and I'm like, well I do, because if I don't.
Speaker 5: Get back in this game by name. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I wrote her, emailed her or texted her or something and I was like, can I, you know, try to write some stuff and she's like yeah, you know. So then I met the producer. She only could hire like four people. Wow, So she picked me and then yeah, and then I thought, well, this will look I'll get to nanny. I felt so guilty, but I'll get a nanny for the summer. But when I was worried about doing it, I'm like, my boys are only like one and four something.
Speaker 5: And my friend goes, are you finding kidding me?
Speaker 6: In ten years, you're going to come home and neither of those boys are going to even look up from their xbox or whatever the thing was at the time, and you're gonna say, why the fuck didn't I take that joby? And I tell that story all the time because they are fine. They don't come running to the door when I come home.
Speaker 5: They're fine.
Speaker 6: And it's like people need to know that, like, yes, baby, years are precious years.
Speaker 5: But now that I have this career and I could be around.
Speaker 6: So much more of these last five years the more important years in my opinion, the.
Speaker 3: Time the time where where they want to.
Speaker 1: Smell because I feel important.
Speaker 5: You will feel guilty.
Speaker 6: You will feel guilty, You will miss stup. And sometimes when I look at like pictures of like it's like they're there, They're fine. It's like it's there to you.
Speaker 4: They also look up to you as a strong woman who's running a big career, and that's a pretty cool thing as a kid to say, all my mom's on TV, or my mom writes on shows or all these different things.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool too. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I think it's they have a good perspective of things, you know, and we have like a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: And how many years on Chelsea?
Speaker 5: We did seven? Like seven and a half?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many? How many episodes total over there?
Speaker 5: So many because we only got like we only got.
Speaker 6: Two weeks off at Christmas, two weeks after the summer, and one week at Easter, five weeks off. Only got five weeks off a year, yeah, like five. Yeah, it was crazy. We never had any time off and we always had to like you know but leading up to Christmas we had to do a New Year's Eve show and a Christmas Eve show and all this other stuff. So it was a lot, but it was really fun. It was super fun, and I'm still friends with so many the people.
Speaker 1: And it's like watching you on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was so intimidated by you because you guys would show people on the show and then kind of like make fun of them, and I was like, I never want to be made fun of by anybody like that because you are so funny and such a savage.
Speaker 5: That was the other thing. We could never tweet our jokes.
Speaker 6: Oh, they'd be like the head writer would be like a news thing would break and all the writers would have Twitter and want to write something funny, and he'd be like, what the fuck We're going to talk about this tomorrow.
Speaker 5: And now you just gave the best joke to you yourself.
Speaker 6: You can just save that for Chelsea or for somebody else that might around table.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So you couldn't tweet anything. Any of your jokes had to be kept for the show. But I kind of I understood that.
Speaker 6: I was like, I kind of get that, like, because you know, we have this great thing of being able to do it like that day. You know, we would do stuff and then you know at the end of the day, the end of that we could see it on Saturday Live.
Speaker 5: Right, we could do it like that day.
Speaker 6: So once they said that, I was like, yeah, but you know, once you're wright, you're a writer on the show, you really have to commit to being a writer on the show, right. And then it was kind of a bumber because then there were other people that would be featured just as much on the show, but they weren't staff writers, and sure they weren't making the money every week, but then they would be getting all these opportunities, and then opportunities would come to us, but we couldn't take us. Yeah, but I understand that, Like I didn't feel me. I don't think that's mean when you got you can't like let every person go, oh, you have an audition for a three liner?
Speaker 5: Okay, bye, you can't do that, Like, you can't let people do that.
Speaker 6: So then it was that part I think was sort of difficult in having the writers be featured so much.
Speaker 1: Was that life changing when you did.
Speaker 5: Lately?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, that like started off because then I was like I always wanted to write a book, and now I'm like, well, now I can write a book.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, your prediction was fucking wrong.
Speaker 3: Oh here we go.
Speaker 5: That you'd get it second week national bestseller. That some means you sold a lot.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely, my numbers were great, but you you can't tell the future.
Speaker 5: Everyone loved that.
Speaker 6: By the way, I got I got a great feed writing that they really really liked it.
Speaker 5: I knew they would.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good.
Speaker 3: I have two last questions, because yeah, first question, your worst stand up moment in history that you can recall in your career, Like a moment that just one that just was mortifying for you for any reason. It could have been ten, could have been a heckler, It could have been just you sucked or you were hung over. Just a moment you can remember that you don't want to remember.
Speaker 5: God, I mean no, they're all just but they're all like not that bad.
Speaker 3: Worse war like anything, worse venue, worst audience, worse anything, just something.
Speaker 6: That sometimes what happens is I'd be doing something. This is why I really don't like performing in LA and I like just go to a city where I don't know anybody, but now I know so many people. In every city, I still have somebody like a college friend or something.
Speaker 5: Is like I'll start.
Speaker 6: Doing a bit and talking about like whatever, joking about my husband, like murdering my husband or whatever, and then I'm like, oh my god, my friend is here. My husband just fucking died, like what, like you know, and then I like gets in my head a little bit or like I remember this one. Birl had a really back in the.
Speaker 5: Like those days when I was always doing the improv. She had a really funny herpes.
Speaker 6: Joke, and and then all of a sudden, I would realize, oh my god, she's on the bill, and I have two friends with herpes in the audience. Like I normally would not invite them to any show because I thought it would hurt their feelings. But then I looked down and saw they were laughing the most, and I was like, they can't really worry about that, but like that little bit of like you know, Code Pendant, like Catholic Hill, like I didn't. I never want someone to be like hurt.
Speaker 3: I get that you ever go to a theater back in the day when you first start, because I know you sell out everywhere because I always track you, Like in cities.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh my in that city, I want to go see the show. Here in Miami, I'm oh fuck, I want to see the show. But when you were just coming up, did you ever go to a room where it was like one person, two people?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, not that little, but there'd be some that were little, and it was hard because usually like a Bringer show, just like it'd.
Speaker 5: Be hard where you have to bring people.
Speaker 6: Because you still have it you don't want everyone going up there and being like, oh, we could be doing this in my living room, because then it makes the people that actually paid in part I feel like a dick. So like I always am like this is great, like oh my god, let's just like get intimate whatever, But now I'm just kind of like who cares.
Speaker 5: I mean, after COVID, I care a lot less about stuff like that.
Speaker 3: We say the same thing. It's like after COVID, everything at your perspective of appreciation goes up. At least for me, like ten thousand.
Speaker 6: Well, I would just like stress so much about like ticket sales and do you have to do a Facebook ad?
Speaker 1: And da da da da da.
Speaker 5: And now I'm like, okay, I am.
Speaker 6: Going to still go on and do these shows, Heather Dalda, I'm going to big cities and you know, but I didn't want to even I didn't want to jump to like a bigger venue because I was like, I just want them.
Speaker 5: I wanted to be sold out.
Speaker 6: I wanted to do not't worry about it, like I don't totally and like I like this size and I like how it works and like maybe next time. But so yeah, because the whole point is like I like to go to do the craft.
Speaker 5: It's not really about the money on the.
Speaker 6: Rush for me, because so few people do what I do, you know, that can go and stand for an hour, And I don't ever want because I stopped doing it for those seven years when I was like having babies and but I was never like on the road or anything. And so now that I've established like a headlining thing in the years after Chelsea and stuff, I just don't ever want to get Let it goes so long. It's fine when it's a pandemic. It was kind of great, right. I'd be like, oh my god, if they just told me that the club was on fire last night, and I'd be kind of just because I didn't want to like packs, I'm laying on my bed and I see too because I don't want to pack. But so it was kind of like, you know, of course I didn't like, you know, I felt bad for people, but at the same time it was kind of a nice break. And so now when I'm starting up again, I have to be like, don't become a bitch, don't get crazy.
Speaker 3: Be exciting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because like if I ever could plain Peter's like, well you said, so I'm like, okay, so now I can't even talk to anybody about it because I agreed to do this.
Speaker 3: Three questions. Last three questions. Biggest venue you ever performed then, like the most perstitous.
Speaker 6: Or biggest some arena and I opened for Chelsea and it was like ten thousand wow, and then to the people yes, And then for my own shows, I think the most I've done is like maybe in like maybe like a six hundred rates.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's for comedy, that's yeah, okay. Second question, the person that you were the biggest star, biggest, most famous person that came to a show that you were shocked came to your show? Do you know what I'm saying? Like not somebody, not a celebrity that you know now and that you're friends with, but just you were just shocked they showed up or somebody told you they were showing up day of and you had no idea. Is there is there any moment like that?
Speaker 6: God, it might have to come back to that one, because I know that there there were a lot though during.
Speaker 5: That time because they because Chelsea was on and stuff, and then but now it's.
Speaker 3: Just like now, yeah, I've.
Speaker 6: Never been I've never really been starstruck by anybody because working on Chelsea you really saw like everybody. So when people are always like, oh, who was it, I'm like, first of all, everybody's nice, right, And I will also say that every guest that came on the show was very nice too, Like the assholes are a guest on a show?
Speaker 4: What do you have coming up that we should know that's coming like next? Just and we know your your Juicy.
Speaker 6: Jes scoop is every Tuesday Thursday, and you know I'm doing it for six years.
Speaker 5: Love it anywhere you listen.
Speaker 6: Obviously, we also do it on YouTube too, so you can watch the whole thing on YouTube.
Speaker 5: And that's kind of cool because we've.
Speaker 6: Picked up like like there's a whole I don't know, thirty forty thousand, and now that's not that much because it's I'm not like a YouTuber, but.
Speaker 5: That actually watch it there. They really like watching it.
Speaker 6: That's listening, So you know, we do it there too, which is a lot of extra effort. But whatever, why did I start that?
Speaker 5: Now it's like if it's not up, they freak out.
Speaker 6: No. But and then I have a bunch of dates starting in August, San Francisco and then through the fall.
Speaker 5: And where we see those dates heatherickdal dot net.
Speaker 6: I'm going to all the big cities show Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, San Francisco, see at all, Atlanta and Nashville.
Speaker 1: Damn you get a girl. But I'll go home in between them.
Speaker 2: You'll post you'll post this on your Instagram too, right, No, I don't.
Speaker 5: Like to promote people. Oh what I like to make this pod. I'm joking.
Speaker 3: You know your dates?
Speaker 6: Yes, everything will be and Heather McDonald yet so I don't want to post the dates all the time.
Speaker 5: But once in a while you throw it up there you remind people that is.
Speaker 3: There your attitude, I have to say, because I know you at least that party, But this is the funniest your attitude of like I just don't give a ship and I don't want to work that hard. I've ever seen the truth. You're like, it's so much to pack a bag and get on a plane. But but I.
Speaker 4: Will say that I know you act that way, but when it comes to your comedy, it's a hard thing to do and very few.
Speaker 5: People can do on the stage.
Speaker 6: It's my most favorite thing to do it's amazing. I'm just saying sometimes the effort and the stress around getting on the stage, I totally get it. Being on stage is the best part, right, It's it's getting to it. Yeah, it's all that other stuff.
Speaker 1: To get it.
Speaker 2: It's going on a vacation where you're like so excited to go to Paris or whatever, and you're like, fuck, I have to pack.
Speaker 5: I've never been to Paris a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay, you too, I mean you should just honestly, just I mean I could run two weeks of episodes. You're going back to front. By the way, everybody hasn't been to Paris.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 3: No, you don't know. You don't. You don't. She doesn't tell her.
Speaker 6: I am going to go on a really fabulous trip though this next summer.
Speaker 3: I think she should go with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yease.
Speaker 6: Now my kids are old and I can afford it. It's like the double whooming. I can finally do it right, like when I was young and then I couldn't go when they.
Speaker 5: Were little, and now it's like I can go.
Speaker 1: Now mom is going and doing that right.
Speaker 6: Go.
Speaker 3: I see you vacationing a lot though on your gram, So don't don't play me.
Speaker 5: I see it's all places like here and stuff, which is great.
Speaker 3: You don't like to get on a plane, you just said, so I'll do a big thing.
Speaker 5: Well, don't the first class I go on there, I go heaven. You don't need nine am first class.
Speaker 6: I have a good alcohol either, it's never like a good wine or anything.
Speaker 5: And the food I don't with a morsel. I eat the entire thing.
Speaker 3: So why so why I love playing food?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was the last podcast ever, Heather.
Speaker 5: We'll let you.
Speaker 1: We'll let you go to your your bel air hotel dinner.
Speaker 3: No blows.
Speaker 1: You're going to the bunks?
Speaker 5: Is it all Santa Monica? No, it's gonna take me long.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we want to take Heather McDonald. You've been amazing. We love you, and thank you for coming on today.